Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2018 12:29 AM
Nov 2015
This new series is getting down-voted into Berserk 2016/2017 tier oblivion even though it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, and while there is some legitimate criticism to be made, it gets drowned by nostalgia rambling and elitist attitude towards the material.

Yes, the OVAs were good, but there is no reason to compare this new adaptation to the former, why can't you just enjoy it as a standalone project instead of beginning every complaints you have with "the OVAs did X better".
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 7, 2018 12:31 AM

Apr 2016
You need to understand who is an actual fanbase of this show. Then you will understand what is missing in this adaptation, and why an actual fanbase is hating it.

It's pretty shallow reason as always.
Apr 7, 2018 6:07 AM

Aug 2016
I'm a fan of the original anime, and I think this adaptation is actually decent. It's really a shame that it gets downvoted just because it's not as good as the original.
Apr 7, 2018 8:30 AM
Jan 2018
Caciulacdlac said:
I'm a fan of the original anime, and I think this adaptation is actually decent. It's really a shame that it gets downvoted just because it's not as good as the original.

How can you even judge it 1 episode in tho?If anything visual fidelity of the remake will be league above the original.I feel like this anime fan base are full of elitist otaku.
Apr 7, 2018 8:39 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Trollsenpai said:
This new series is getting down-voted into Berserk 2016/2017 tier oblivion

7.38 isnt that bad for a first episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 7, 2018 9:33 AM

Mar 2016
Because they are superior human beings and their opinions are objectively right.
Apr 7, 2018 10:23 AM
Jan 2017
They are just jealous of the fact that normies are also able to get taste of this holy series so their tactic is to down-vote the remake and make the newcomers look like fools for watching it.
CoreFinderApr 7, 2018 10:29 AM
Apr 7, 2018 12:50 PM

Aug 2014
theetat said:
Caciulacdlac said:

How can you even judge it 1 episode in tho?If anything visual fidelity of the remake will be league above the original.I feel like this anime fan base are full of elitist otaku.

wouldn't call the visuals leagues above the original tbh. technically yes. sure they can pull off better action scenes, but colour palette is way too flashy and mixed with the modern-ish character designs, it just doesn't feel like capturing the essence of the series, which is a down to earth futuristic war drama. same goes for the soundtrack; the classical score of the original was perfect for the material it was adapting. I'm open to this series and will continue watching, but its stylistic choices aren't the best and it's technically content I don't really need.
Apr 7, 2018 3:05 PM
Jan 2017
You took the words right out of my mouth. Pointless to compare this to the original ova. Even though i know it certainly will not be better than the original logh, i very much wanna see how this anime tells the story. Need to adapt to the new character designs, that's the only thing which bothered me a little. The musical score is pretty decent for the new series. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 7, 2018 9:36 PM
Jan 2016
When a remake occurs, u always state whats the point, what does this version do that the original did not.

Like Captain Tsubasa 2018 was needed, the visuals are more appealing, animation, it has the diamond production jojo effect..... Also the original does not hold up that well

Tsubasa has many sequels and its also too tough of a task, to ask someone to watch that old series to view the new adaptation also many smart financial reasons....

However Legend of the Galactic Heroes the original series holds up fairly well because it was an OVA done 110 ep in a period of 9 years, so the production itself was fairly high.

This feels like Disney remake situation where Disney is remaking all the old series from 2D to live adaptation however they are no point for most of them as they hold up fairly well due to the production during the time period. Alot of remakes aren't certainly bad however whats the point?

Apr 8, 2018 7:28 AM
Jan 2018
CoreFinder said:
They are just jealous of the fact that normies are also able to get taste of this holy series so their tactic is to down-vote the remake and make the newcomers look like fools for watching it.

No its the opposite which is true.They just want the Normie's to get the full experience by telling them that original was a better adaptation.
Oh and I do not know why should both adaptations not be compared when they are adapted from same source material into the same medium.LOGH fandom is not toxic they just think a legit masterpiece is a legit masterpiece.
Apr 8, 2018 8:25 AM

Jul 2012
Vladivostock said:
CoreFinder said:

No its the opposite which is true.They just want the Normie's to get the full experience by telling them that original was a better adaptation.
Oh and I do not know why should both adaptations not be compared when they are adapted from same source material into the same medium.LOGH fandom is not toxic they just think a legit masterpiece is a legit masterpiece.

There's literally one episode out, and it's already less convoluted than the one we got in the OVA series since it's taking two episodes instead of just one for this part and the character inroduction and interactions (a bit less subtle in approach, but it did great). There's no way to tell which is a superior adaptation just yet at least until we enough material to judge a proper portion of it (to say, the first book, which is the one being adapted in this season).

And I say this as one of those people who legitimately think it is probably the best anime ever made.

I would still opt for Overture to a New War as a better alternative for the first two episodes by a loooong shot. I'm yet so see if the same can be said about this new adaptation, but at least for now, it's already being better than the original episodes besides the flaws in presentation (so to say, leaving the exposition to Reinhard side alone, instead of showing both sides interacting in the battlefield properly in a double lenght episode, which would be ideal as a first episode).

LotGH fandom is elitist and pretentious garbage at times, I won't even try to defend. Just make sure to listen for the ones who actually loves the franchise and not just to feel superior to the others because "hurdur I have the best anime ever in my favorites, and thus, I'm an intellectual" (yes, believe me, there are TONS of those out there).
DanpmssApr 8, 2018 9:01 AM
Apr 8, 2018 11:00 AM

May 2015
The new version did the battle and action better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2018 11:03 AM

Aug 2017
CoreFinder said:
oh shit thats a straight up master plan
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2018 2:03 AM

Jan 2015
I honestly saw more people complaining about people complaining, than actual people complaining.

The score is 7.44 for the first two episodes, I don't think that's a bad score at all and not much different for what the first series would get for its first two.

I don't understand why some dislike the thought of comparing the two series, they're both adaptations of the same material, of course there's going to be debate about who did it better. Just like people compare the two HxH or FMA adaptations.
Zura_OrokamonoApr 11, 2018 5:12 AM
Apr 11, 2018 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
The anime community is toxic in general. As a fan of LoGH, I have seen very few (if any) toxic takes on DNT.

Personally, I'm not impressed with this adaptation. The beauty of the OVA was that it took the novels and expanded upon them. It took information from Julian's Iserlohn Diary, and it explored certain moments of the main novels in greater depth. In the end, I'd argue it improved upon the source material.

So far, in two episodes, DNT has covered less than the OVA covered in one episode. On top of that, instead of exploring, say, Phezzan or Annerose, DNT has decided to repeat scenes and dialogue already. Characters explained things about three times in the second episode. It feels very pedestrian, and perhaps a little condescending, as though the writers don't believe the audience will be able to understand what's happening if characters don't spell it out for us.

SPOILERS for the first two episodes of DNT

It's a real shame. As a fan of the novels and the OVA (as well as the prequels), I was hoping to love DNT. Unfortunately, at least so far, it seems to have missed the point of the story.
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Apr 11, 2018 4:59 AM

May 2013
Because the fanbase is full of elitist and their favorite toy is being played with right now so they are angry
Apr 11, 2018 5:23 AM

Dec 2016
Stop bringing the "elitist" argument, the new adaptation is objectively bad the visual art don't suit well, the character look generic as hell and too young, too much CGI and the worse is that they change the story and make it more simple (from what we saw) what they think the average spectator can't understand a story ?
Apr 11, 2018 6:26 AM

Sep 2016
Ney02 said:
Stop bringing the "elitist" argument, the new adaptation is objectively bad the visual art don't suit well, the character look generic as hell and too young, too much CGI and the worse is that they change the story and make it more simple (from what we saw) what they think the average spectator can't understand a story ?

No, it's simplified and shortened down because it's 12 episodes, they needed to make sacrifices. Also I'm pretty sure the reason why they look younger is because the anime designer for Kuroko no Basuke is the lead character designer for this, so they all look like their 20 something.

As for ship designs, I like them quite a bit.

The CGI excels in space battles, I don't know what people are on about. CGI in anime is only glaringly cringe-worthy is when they use it to fill in for characters, as evidenced by Reinhardt's scene after the credit's in the second episode.

My god, those honor guards and that crowd looked so bad...

Other than that, the only other REAL problem I have is that their shields are non-existent. They keep yelling for the bridge crew to divert power to shields, but where are the shields? It's there, I've seen it, but there's barely any of it.

Also, how does armor-piercing ammunition penetrate ENERGY shields? Or am I to assume their shields were just overwhelmed?

smh felt like Deep Space Nine lmao. Where the hell are the damned shields? ah, that's right.

B U D G E T
_Thanos_Apr 11, 2018 6:32 AM
yee
Apr 11, 2018 6:34 AM

Dec 2016
memesaredreams said:
Ney02 said:

No, it's simplified and shortened down because it's 12 episodes, they needed to make sacrifices. Also I'm pretty sure the reason why they look younger is because the anime designer for Kuroko no Basuke is the lead character designer for this, so they all look like their 20 something.

As for ship designs, I like them quite a bit.

The CGI excels in space battles, I don't know what people are on about. CGI in anime is only glaringly cringe-worthy is when they use it to fill in for characters, as evidenced by Reinhardt's scene after the credit's in the second episode.

My god, those honor guards and that crowd looked so bad...

Other than that, the only other REAL problem I have is that their shields are non-existent. They keep yelling for the bridge crew to divert power to shields, but where are the shields? It's there, I've seen it, but there's barely any of it.

Also, how does armor-piercing ammunition penetrate ENERGY shields? Or am I to assume their shields were just overwhelmed?

smh felt like Deep Space Nine lmao. Where the hell are the damned shields? ah, that's right.

B U D G E T

The budget for the old OVA was probably less than this one tbh.
Apr 11, 2018 6:41 AM

Sep 2016
I'm 100% certain they opted for explosions and ships dying than just them shrugging it off with their shields, since it probably takes even less effort to animate than the hundreds of explosions.

Why does everybody hate energy shields? It's cooler when it hits shields...

I just get sad every-time somebody mentions diverting power to their shields, then in the next scene it just doesn't exist at all.

Just make the bridge consoles blow up make the whole ship shudder... give me my shields pls...
_Thanos_Apr 11, 2018 6:44 AM
yee
Apr 11, 2018 6:54 AM

Aug 2015
kikiabdull said:
Because they are superior human beings and their opinions are objectively right.

Yo dude, Goblin Slayer good taste my guy!
Honestly man, new adaptions will always get bashed. Damn, it could be better than the original adaption and people will still say the new one sucks because of nostalgia googles. This applies to any medium, so you have to get used to that sort of thing.

Apr 11, 2018 7:00 AM

Aug 2015
The Character Design look like shit..... i guess i will wait till all season is out.
Apr 11, 2018 7:02 AM

Dec 2016
Loknir said:
kikiabdull said:

Honestly man, new adaptions will always get bashed. Damn, it could be better than the original adaption and people will still say the new one sucks because of nostalgia googles. This applies to any medium, so you have to get used to that sort of thing.

Yamato 2012 adaption did not got bashed
Apr 11, 2018 8:56 AM
Oct 2012
The better question is why are all the newshits so bootyblasted that everyone doesn't just meekly accept mediocrity and their shit taste?
Apr 11, 2018 9:29 AM

Sep 2012
LoTGH elitist fags.
Apr 11, 2018 10:28 AM

Sep 2016
Yang_Wenli said:
The better question is why are all the newshits so bootyblasted that everyone doesn't just meekly accept mediocrity and their shit taste?

You're right, I do have shit taste. I have bent down to the mediocrity gods long ago.
Doflamingo45 said:
LoTGH elitist fags.

Chill, you're making us newshits look bad dude.

/s
yee
Apr 11, 2018 1:20 PM

Sep 2014
Trollsenpai said:
This new series is getting down-voted into Berserk 2016/2017 tier oblivion even though it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, and while there is some legitimate criticism to be made, it gets drowned by nostalgia rambling and elitist attitude towards the material.

Yes, the OVAs were good, but there is no reason to compare this new adaptation to the former, why can't you just enjoy it as a standalone project instead of beginning every complaints you have with "the OVAs did X better".
I wanted to give you an proper reply till I read the last part.

There is no reason to waste time on making or watching this if the original OVA series did it better. Not when the story is exactly the same, because the story is the important part of LoGH.
If they just wanted to give the a new look, they could have just copied the original down 1:1 with the newer look.

This is a special case we have here, thats why people are toxic = dont want LoGH to suck like a generic seasonal

Aside from that, it has an above 7 rating, which is not bad or downvoted to Berserk levels
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 11, 2018 5:56 PM

Jun 2015
Ney02 said:
Loknir said:

Yamato 2012 adaption did not got bashed
It's not like a whole lot of people actually watched the original. I mean, only 3,500 members have rated the original, compared to the new one that has 20,000 ratings.
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Apr 11, 2018 8:58 PM

Sep 2012
memesaredreams said:
Yang_Wenli said:

You're right, I do have shit taste. I have bent down to the mediocrity gods long ago.
Doflamingo45 said:
LoTGH elitist fags.

Chill, you're making us newshits look bad dude.

/s

I'm not a newshit. I haven't watched the original OVA series, and I'm not currently watching the new series. I do plan on watching the OVA series first, and I'm here because I was interested in seeing if the new one is good or not. Anyways, a lot of the LoTGH fans I've interacted with are literal elitist fags. They have no idea in the world what an opinion is.
Apr 11, 2018 9:01 PM

Feb 2010
because its a fanbase mostly comprised of snobby wanna be elitests who actually don't know what they are talking about.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 11, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
Yang_Wenli said:

You don't deserve the name Yang Wenli. He'd certainly not act like the arrogant shit that you are.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 12, 2018 12:15 AM

Apr 2017
Ahegyao said:
Yang_Wenli said:

You don't deserve the name Yang Wenli. He'd certainly not act like the arrogant shit that you are.

Oh, such sweet sorrow,
BUUUURRRRNNNN
Apr 12, 2018 1:33 AM

Jun 2014
I think its actually the other way around. I think a lot of people aggressively go after LOGH fans when they come with valid criticisms (there are as always a couple of exceptions of course).

As an example, I'd like to bring as an example the use of the word "elitist" by some. It's crazy how every time someone writes something negative about this adaptation, the word elitist just gets thrown in there as if it was some argument killer. Childish and unnecessary IMO. Try to criticize without the E word.

For the record, I'm actually enjoying DNT. It's an ok adaptation of the novels, and while it doesn't rise to the narrative levels of the OVA, it's doing ok under the current industry standards.
Apr 12, 2018 1:38 AM

Mar 2009
Same thing happened with the Kino's Journey remake. People hate remakes.
Apr 12, 2018 5:39 AM

Sep 2014
Mormegil said:

Tell that to FMA:B or HxH(2011)
Apr 12, 2018 9:03 AM

Nov 2012
LightSparker said:
Mormegil said:

Tell that to FMA:B or HxH(2011)

It did happen to HxH 2011, though. it may have not happened on western forums/media, due to HxH 1999/manga low popularity in the west. but i come from a culture where HxH has been dubbed back in the 90s and it was significantly popular among anime fans. back when the 2011 remake first aired, people threw tantrums. later on they came to accept it and realized they were being blinded by nostalgia goggles.

It'll eventually happen to the LOTGH remake as well. in case nothing goes wrong with the adaptation. just wait and see.
Apr 13, 2018 5:55 PM

Jul 2009
lol this thread is hilarious. Y'all are crazy
Apr 14, 2018 1:32 AM

Nov 2017
Every fandom is toxic. Deal with it.
Apr 15, 2018 9:13 PM

Mar 2016
Loknir said:
kikiabdull said:

Yeah, the manga is my favorite. Hopefully the adaptation is good.
Apr 16, 2018 12:21 AM

Dec 2012
Originally i wasn't matter with the reboot until i watched the original version which surpassed my imagination. I can understand now why everyone upset with reboot there are massive gap distinct the original and reboot especially concerning the characters design.

memesaredreams said:

The funny things is the original capable to take every omitted part in single episode detailed in no less and no more while reboot must cut half of duration with perfect CGI frame shot to catch the quota.
OmniswordApr 16, 2018 12:51 AM
Apr 16, 2018 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
Anime elitists are cancer overall
What else is new
Apr 17, 2018 5:29 PM

Mar 2015
Very few people have actually read the books, so it's easy to see how the OVAs with anime original content have sort of become their "canon".

And "elitists" are generally the kind of people who like an "objective standard" to compare against (which they subjectively choose of course), so they end up judging the new series on how similar it is to the original, even when there's no reason it should be.
HalkenburgApr 18, 2018 1:20 AM
Apr 18, 2018 7:59 AM

Mar 2016
I just watched the preview on yt and I'd say it felt like it lost its charm. I got the same feeling when I watched the new kino no tabi's preview. I might be wrong tho.

You know, it's hard to not compare the show with the original when it is a remake, especially if it's one of your favorites.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 19, 2018 7:11 AM
Feb 2018
People are free to rate whatever they want to. If it's rated to the Berserk 2017 tier is because it really didn't make a good work as an adaption. It has nothing to do with elitism, people just didn't liked it and period.
Apr 19, 2018 8:59 AM
Mar 2016
I've never seen the original but tried it cause i love older anime, but i found this really awful... Like is this anything like the original? because that show was so famous and highly rated and this i'd probably say is in the top three worst of the season if im being honest.
TeerackApr 20, 2018 6:57 AM
Apr 19, 2018 12:54 PM

Mar 2015
Teerack said:

There's so much that has to get set up before the story really starts taking flight. I remember it being like that with the original too. I kind of wonder what the original would've been rated after 3 episodes.
Apr 19, 2018 1:10 PM

Sep 2014
Mormegil said:

Well, the Kino was obviously a lot worse than the original series. The original series thrived on its atmosphere and minimalistic story telling. The new one threw the atmosphere out of the window, added way more action-focused stories and even misinterpreted some of the crucial messages - such as making Kino look like a dick in the end of the Colosseum episode. Ironically, the new Kino was still a good series all things considered. It was just way worse than the original.

Now for LoGH, I really enjoy the new adaption. The voices are something to get used to but that was inevitable and I don't think they chose bad voices for all the mains voiced so far. What I'm not fond of is the CGI (not bad but I prefer 2D, sorry), the rearrangement of story bits to focus entire episodes on Reinhard or Yang (the original felt more fluid) and the character designs (straight up garbage).
I think this season will be at a disadvantage for the ratings because it won't be rated as a whole like the OVAs but as a 12 episode series. It won't cover any of the really juicy parts of the story or character development. I think especially newcomers will have a hard time because for lots of people it took a lot of episodes of the original OVA to finally take of. For me it was around ep20. That doesn't mean the first episodes are bad by any stretch of the imagination, they are very good. They just aren't as compelling or enjoyable on their own for most people. That's the reason why I expect to enjoy the first episodes a lot more on a rewatch, which now turns out to be true. I know all the characters and what they will do/will happen to them so I enjoy all the conversations they have much more.
Apr 19, 2018 1:25 PM

Sep 2017
agree,Legend of galactic heroes is so overrated,just a downgraded version of battlestar galactica to edgy teenagers.
Apr 20, 2018 7:05 AM
Mar 2016
Halkenburg said:
Teerack said:

There's so much that has to get set up before the story really starts taking flight. I remember it being like that with the original too. I kind of wonder what the original would've been rated after 3 episodes.

Well Space Battle Ship Yamato is one of my favorite shows. I love Gundamn Unicorn and Gundam the Origin, and right now i've been enjoying Megalo Box a ton. So i really love retro style anime that is based off the classics.

The thing about all of those shows is Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 is it pretty much instantly hooked me and i was able to tell why Space Battleship Yamato was able to capture so many people's interest and become so huge.

Gundam UC and The Origins both are new stories but in an old setting and they were both able to instantly tap into that classic nostalgia and story telling style that made the original gundams so amazing.

I've never watched Ashita no Joe but i always knew of it the same way i knew of LoGH, but the difference was when i started Megalo Box i felt like i instantly understood this was going to be a great show. This LoGH show tho I kind of feel like it is painfully clear its not going to be a good anime. The art also being awful doesnt help it.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.