Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 6, 2018 1:04 PM
Dec 2017
Hey guys..
I watched Steins;Gate last year when I was new to anime.A friend recommend it to me and I watched the first episode then.It bored the fuck out of me so much that I kept checking when it would hit the 20 minute mark.So I put it on hold back then.Now a year later and I've watched some series and I am thinking of watching Steins;Gate.As it seems,it has a very high rating on MAL.So does it get less boring as the series progresses?Because i don't wanna miss out on a great anime series.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 6, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2017
be careful, a lot of the fanboys will be angry at you for not appreciating their otaku dating sim.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 6, 2018 1:09 PM
Oct 2017
if you like harem visual novel adaptations yeah
Apr 6, 2018 1:10 PM

Jan 2018
You should not push yourself to watch a series.. It just makes you feel uncomfortable and dying.
But if you don't wanna miss it, yeah, you SHOULD watch it. And don't read spoilers.

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Apr 6, 2018 1:10 PM

Jun 2017
It's my favorite anime of all time and I can tell you that if you didn't like the first episode you won't like the rest of the series so drop it now, don't force yourself just because it's a "masterpiece".

Apr 6, 2018 1:11 PM

Oct 2016
I'm also watching, i stopped on the 4th episode, so far i'm liking, just watch 3 more and see if you are enjoying or not the show to drop.

Jan 2013
Keep going, at most you'll lose like 25 minutes and the best case scenario is you'll find it worth continuing to watch.
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I think you should watch the whole thing. I’ve yet to watch it, but from experience, you could get a general consensus by watching an entire series. For example, the first episode of Hunter x Hunter bored the hell out of me, but it easily became one of my top three favorite anime ever by finishing the anime. Same with the first few episodes of Assassination Classroom, but I grew to love that show.
Then again, SAO bored me for the vast majority and ended up as a pile of crap. I’m the type of person that has to finish what I watch, so I’ll be rewatching that into the next seasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2018 1:13 PM

Feb 2018
We'll I think is my favorite series of all time so what I think about it should be obvious but if you don't like it don't push urself
Apr 6, 2018 1:14 PM

Jul 2017
It depends on your expectations and personal preferences.

Try to watch 2-3 episodes, if they do not appeal to you, it's probably not meant to be.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Apr 6, 2018 1:18 PM

Mar 2014
Normally, watching at least 3 episodes is required to fully get the grasp of liking an anime or not. Attack on Titan definitely hits at episode 4 though, if the first three fail.
Apr 6, 2018 1:19 PM

Feb 2016
Normally I would say if you don’t like it early on then just drop it, but Steins Gate is one of those exceptions. I wanted to drop it early on because I was bored to death but I listened to people that said watch it until halfway through (I believe it was episode 12) and now it’s one of my favorite anime. If you don’t care for by that episode then by all means drop it.
Apr 6, 2018 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
I was in a similar position when I watched the first episode of Steins;Gate. Personally I would recommend you keep watching it. It gets better, it's just that the start is very slow. I got hooked from the 2 episode and from there I started loving the show. And now it's one of my favorites.
Apr 6, 2018 1:30 PM

Jun 2017
Personally I would say that the biggest flaw Steins;Gate has is the slow start, as everything about it apart from that is amazing. It is one of my favorite anime of all time so maybe you shouldn't value my opinion too much (lol).
My advise would be to watch some more episodes, and if you realise that things are moving faster, but you still don't like it, then drop it. If that is not the case, you'll be in for a ride ^-^
Pushed into a corner, even a mouse will turn and bite you.
Push a twenty-something into a corner and they’ll go to a brothel and publish a report about it on the internet.

- Kabi Nagata
Apr 6, 2018 1:38 PM

Apr 2018
Personally I wait for about 3 episodes, and if it still feels like a chore to watch the anime, then I drop it and move on.
Apr 6, 2018 1:43 PM
Aug 2015
It's one of my favorite, but the 5-6 first episodes are mediocre to be honest.

You should finish it, really it's one of those rare animes that are actually great.

Do you know why it has a score so high?
Because almost EVERYONE like it a lot. Same with FMA:B. It's not the #1 of a lot of people, but it's one of the favorite of a lot of people
Apr 6, 2018 1:44 PM

Oct 2017
I dropped it the first time after only watching the first episode, but then I went back and watched it and actually liked it. Go by the three episode that should give you a better understanding of whether or not you should continue.
Apr 6, 2018 1:47 PM

Jul 2016
It's one of my favourites but I'd say go ahead and drop it if you not enjoying it. Then again I'm very trigger-happy when it comes to dropping shows
Apr 6, 2018 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
Yes. Many people just watch some episodes and think it's too tedious or boring or slow. Then when they finally watch the whole Steins;gate they usually think it's one of the best.
Apr 6, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2017
it starts very slow, but develops well closer to the middle of the series

i'd say, if you watched the movie "the butterfly effect" then it'll be really hard for this show to impress you more than that. so if you did, then there's not much point in continuing
Apr 6, 2018 1:55 PM

Aug 2016
I would say yeah.

I did a similar thing and watched 1 ep and moved onto other things. I rewatched it and continued on later and thought it was pretty good. Also do not be put off by liars claiming its some pandering harem show. Cuz it's not.
Apr 6, 2018 1:55 PM

Jul 2017
the show doesnt really pick up until around episode 11 or 12.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Apr 6, 2018 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely. As a lot of people will tell you, it gets a lot better around episode 11 or 12, but just give it two or three more episodes and see if you like it.
Apr 6, 2018 1:59 PM

Apr 2016
The show is pretty slow, till shit hits the fan on episode 12. I know that liking/not an anime is entirely subjective but, this isn't a show you'd drop (give a low rating sure, but not a drop). You'll at least find it mediocre (Though it's definitely over the top for me)
Apr 6, 2018 2:13 PM

Dec 2017
Steins;Gate is a truly fantastic series that takes a bit of time to get going. The first few episodes are really there to set up the world building and time travel mechanics of the main plot for later on. I was bored at first also, but when the main plot begins to develop it truly does become a very engaging and interesting story. Stick with it through, you won't regret it.
Apr 6, 2018 2:22 PM

Aug 2015
Why are you asking? It's simple: if you don't like it - don't watch it. You should learn how to ignore such things as rating, popularity and opinions of MAL users - those things are not worth a dime.
Apr 6, 2018 2:27 PM

Dec 2016
Honestly, if you didn't enjoy the first episode, it's not very likely you are going to enjoy the rest of the show.

I was also bored during the first episodes....but then during the second half, while it does speed up (this is; stops being boring), it also becomes terrible, and its basically a destruction of everything that came before (this including some of the characters' relevance in the show).

It also has probably the largest amount of plot conveniences I've ever seen (the sci-fi tag is no excuse to this) in any show so far, to the point you almost feel insulted.
Apr 6, 2018 2:32 PM

Aug 2015
I mean, I would say at least try to watch a few more episodes and if you don't like it then don't watch it, as many other people are saying; dont force yourself even though it has a high rating on MAL.

Imo though it's a great show, I love everything about it. I definitely do not think that judging it after 1 episode is enough, cause it will make sense after a while. Episode 1 is confusing so I get it
Apr 6, 2018 2:36 PM

Jun 2017
Steins;Gate starts REALLY slow and it can be boring for first 5-6 episodes or so

Apr 6, 2018 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
Steins Gate does indeed get better, but I would have a hard time recommending it to someone who isn't enjoying it. If you don't enjoy the first half the second half kind of falls short too.
Apr 6, 2018 2:39 PM

May 2015
I tried to watch Steins;Gate three times before finally watching it, because like you the first episode bored me too.
Now it is one of my favourite series, honestly it is amazing. Really it's up to you, but the series honestly does get so much better.
Apr 6, 2018 5:55 PM

Oct 2015
It does get better, but it's up to you if you want to continue. One episode isn't a good place to judge.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 6, 2018 6:12 PM

Oct 2013
I don't quite understand why the first episode is boring, because the mystery already thick af since kurisu meet okarin and I'm a sucker for mystery.

But yeah to each his own
Apr 6, 2018 6:39 PM
Sep 2014
Yes it's only slow for first half, then it gets mad fast
Apr 6, 2018 6:50 PM

Oct 2015
I originally dropped it after 4 episodes because the pacing was really slow and I was kinda bored. I eventually went back to it, and was really glad that I did, because it really picks up steam after about episode 6 or 7, and never lets off from there.

I personally would say that it is definitely worth it to continue, but if you don't feel as though getting through the slower episodes in order to get to the better ones is worth your time, then it's perfectly fine to leave it and watch something else. Don't feel as though you have to watch it just because other people have said it's great.
Apr 6, 2018 6:53 PM

Jan 2017
Well it gets interesting in the next half. So if u can watch the first half then great otherwise drop it.
Apr 6, 2018 6:53 PM

Jul 2016
If you can bear it midway the S;G, that's where real sh*t happens, you might like the series, though if you can't, its understandable maybe this kind of series is not for you. First episode boring? well expect for the twist on that episode.
Apr 6, 2018 6:55 PM

Nov 2016
It's really true that the show won't really pick up before episode 7 as I remember. Furthermore, it will only begin to shine at episode 11 and onwards.
Still I wasn't even be able to go past 2nd episode until I spoiled myself on purpose so I kept watching.

So my advice is that if you are into drama, friendship, nice twists and a coherent story wait for it, but don't push yourself beyond that.

If you pushed yourself, you may end up hating the show when it's no turning back even if things got better, that's basically wasting time.
Apr 6, 2018 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
A boring first episode doesn't mean the rest will be boring.

I know there are people who will drop something if they hate the first episode, but I've never felt like that was a good idea, at least not for me.
A lot of anime I really liked bored the shit out of me on the first ep.

Really it's up to you to decide if you think it's worth continuing.
Apr 6, 2018 6:57 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
No, don't continue steins;gate.
Its a below average anime.
Okabe rintarou, the fat dude, mayuri, and trap-kun are obnoxious and garbage-tier characters.
Its rating is absurd, even by MAL standards.
Plus, that episode revolving around trap-kun was extremely retarded.
Apr 6, 2018 6:58 PM

Aug 2015
bitchassdarius said:
if you like harem visual novel adaptations yeah

that hurt to read haha.

don't force yourself to watch something you dont wanna.
Apr 6, 2018 7:27 PM

Jan 2017
Watching Steins;Gate is like a science or math classes where it discussed lessons which might bore the hell out of you if your not into that kind of lessons, before giving giving you exams, in case of Steins;Gate, it started of explaining of things about time travel and some science related to it like neuroscience. Then there's also the character's introduction and their interactions on the first half of the series, which is an important factor for the impact later on.
aimglitchz said:
Yes it's only slow for first half, then it gets mad fast
this indeed described the show
Which Emiya are you?
Did you f*** up? -> Emiya Kiritsugu
Are you currently f***ing up? -> Archer EMIYA
Do you still believe that you will not f*** up? -> Emiya Shirou
Apr 6, 2018 7:28 PM

Dec 2012
No, if you don't like it don't watch it, unless you feel you've judged it unfairly.

Although, on a personal note, I don't see how anyone would call an episode where a man finds a murder victim, invents time travel, and inexplicably encounters her alive and well, boring. To me that says, "Next episode NOW".
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 6, 2018 7:59 PM

Feb 2010
I seriously don't get how anyone can be bored by the first ep of Steins;Gate. It's full of stuff happening, mystery hints, sci-fi shenanigans and the fabulous MC being his entertaining self. I was hooked immediately. If that bores you, I honestly don't know what wouldn't bore you. 95% of first episodes I've seen had less stuff going on and were just less exciting. Doesn't mean they were better, but excitingness is the one thing S;G doesn't lack. It doesn't get much more eventful than that show.

Still confused where it gets its reputation of being boring early on, it was exciting from the start and I'd even say some of the middle or later parts are among the worst of the show because of how silly and pandering it can get at times.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2018 8:20 PM

Mar 2018
U better show more appreciation to S;G !!! jk u dont have to, but you are partly correct, as far as the beginning of the season, it's really boring, but it basically depicts the basic information behind what is going to happen later on, since time traveling is quite complicated as you might agree. Don't drop it so early on, this anime has a lot of potential, and it is better if you finish it, or binge watch it quickly, since season 2 of S;G is coming out in a couple days (Waited 8 years for this moment), better catch up! glhf
_LeafApr 6, 2018 8:25 PM

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ YOᑌ.... ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ IT ᗷE TᕼᗩT YOᑌ'ᖇE ᒍᑌᔕT ᗩᑎ IᗪIOT?
~ Araragi Senpai

* .    *
.      ˚    *   ·
.  ✦             ✫ ·
.    ✢    °         ✧    .       
Apr 6, 2018 8:24 PM

Nov 2014
meh, it has some boring parts but it's generally entertaining throughout. it has some less relevant parts early on in the show but even in the second half of the anime when the quality obviously increases it didn't get noticeably much more entertaining to me.
Apr 6, 2018 8:32 PM

Nov 2016
Never watched it either. Ive also heard alot of people talk about how it gets better after the first episode but honestly I don't think I have ever enjoyed an anime that I didnt enjoy the first episode of so I would say don't.

For instance after watching the first episode of Gantz I didnt enjoy it but I decided to watch the rest because supposedly this thing has a huge cult following? This many people cant be wrong about something? Maybe with the next episode this shows complexities will reveal themselves?

No doesnt happen, why make a great complex show and hide it inside of a different show? people just make the good show (unless thats the whole premise of the show eg madoka or evangeleon)
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Apr 6, 2018 11:04 PM

Oct 2016
It's a fair bit of a slow starter but once you watched it all it makes more sense. I'm usually really impatient with this kind of thing but I felt it was handled perfectly. Going faster would gloss over things, not develop as well and possibly mean plot holes due to things not being explained.

JFuji said:
Also do not be put off by liars claiming its some pandering harem show. Cuz it's not.

This confuses me because I've heard it multiple times but it's totally not.

IWillMiss_Kanoe said:
U better show more appreciation to S;G !!! jk u dont have to, but you are partly correct, as far as the beginning of the season, it's really boring, but it basically depicts the basic information behind what is going to happen later on, since time traveling is quite complicated as you might agree. Don't drop it so early on, this anime has a lot of potential, and it is better if you finish it, or binge watch it quickly, since season 2 of S;G is coming out in a couple days (Waited 8 years for this moment), better catch up! glhf
Truth right here.
Apr 6, 2018 11:10 PM
Mar 2016
Honestly I was also bored for first couple of episodes but trust me after episode 11 it will be ride until the end.
The events in the ''boring'' episodes are important in the finale though.
Apr 6, 2018 11:41 PM

Mar 2017
The thing that Steins;Gate suffers from the most is definitely how long it takes to get interesting, it gets really good around half-way through, the payoff is worth it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.