Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2018 3:15 PM

Jun 2008
With an opening episode like that, this anime might end up being the surprise of the season.
Apr 5, 2018 3:22 PM

Sep 2015
wolfwing said:
Caretoffel said:
I really liked this first episode and I can't wait for the second one.
Something about the art direction reminds me of shows from the early 2000, which is not bad. I really like it to be honest.

Yeah, it's got that hand drawn look to it which so many anime's miss these days, way too clean, which doesn't work, especially for the style of anime this looks to be. The little imperfections in the art, to me make it feel genuine, rather then something done on a computer with fill pink or red for colour.

In the first minute I was kinda surprised. Like is this a corrupted release or something? But not even five minutes in, I had this feeling of nostalgia and as you said it looks genuine, but also I think it that the animation looks more fluid and natural that way.
Apr 5, 2018 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
i like the art and animation of this one, he is gonna fight the champion this early too
Apr 5, 2018 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
This was Great intensifying start! I like the way the show is making us draw attention to situation despite we don't know about MC that much. I gotta admit that his roughness and personality kinda remind me of Joe. (Definitely feels the vibes this show inspired from original show ANJ). As expected from TMS, the animation is really upto the mark and fitting to the show. The music is on another level.
Apr 5, 2018 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
Woo great, it was more than I expected c:
Apr 5, 2018 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
A bit cliched that the champion would show up to face a no name underground boxer like him over a coincidental meeting and a bit too predictable at this point that he will get his ass kicked by the champion in the next episode and then he would go on to win it when it would really matter- at the center stage where the whole world would be watching later on in the anime. So cliched and so predictable.

But you know what? Screw it whether it's cliched/predictable or not.

The fact that Hosoyan is giving the voice of such a badass character will bode well in the long run. This could be one fun ride. The best part was when he smacked his second out of the ring. That felt really refreshing because he was getting on my nerves.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 5, 2018 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Yuri is definitely the Rikiishi of this anime
Apr 5, 2018 3:41 PM
Nov 2017
shanimebib said:
A bit cliched that the champion would show up to face a no name underground boxer like him over a coincidental meeting and a bit too predictable at this point that he will get his ass kicked by the champion in the next episode and then he would go on to win it when it would really matter- at the center stage where the whole world would be watching later on in the anime. So cliched and so predictable.

But you know what? Screw it whether it's cliched/predictable or not.

The fact that Hosoyan is giving the voice of such a badass character will bode well in the long run. This could be one fun ride. The best part was when he smacked his second out of the ring. That felt really refreshing because he was getting on my nerves.
of course he would appear at the ring and fight him , JD was disrespecting him and who knows if he’s honestly gonna get his ass kicked . He’s most likely gonna lose but who’s to say he’s not gonna put up a good fight . Everything is “ cliche “ and “ predictable “ in today’s society I guess because a lot has been done already before . I wouldn’t say it’s really a bad thing , execution is what matters most .
Apr 5, 2018 4:03 PM

Feb 2013
Not bad.
Will Yuri end up like Rikiishi?
I hope not, I want something else.
Apr 5, 2018 4:04 PM

May 2015
That was a pretty great first episode. Gotta say that I like JD's character so far. I think it's pretty obvious that the rivalry between him and Yuuri will be the vocal point in this show. Looking forward to that.

Good start so far.

Apr 5, 2018 4:13 PM

Aug 2011
Wow, I gotta say this thing made all my body tickle in all the right spots.
And I'm not even into all that sports anime.
Apr 5, 2018 4:41 PM

Apr 2016
Amazing, cant wait for ep 2.

I love anime like this.
Apr 5, 2018 4:56 PM
Feb 2015
Does the series have an official opening as on MAL only the ending is listed?
Apr 5, 2018 5:24 PM

Jul 2014
this was ok. don't really have much to say other than that. ost is pretty good.
Apr 5, 2018 5:25 PM

Apr 2012
It has a great style and tone so far. The "old school" art style is great for a story like this one. It seems to be a typical underdog type story so far, but we will have to see how it goes along. Next week can not come soon enough.
Apr 5, 2018 5:26 PM

Sep 2012
It would've been cool if they made an Ashita no Joe remake, but this is even better!
(not better than ashita no joe per say, its still too early to tell but the idea of re-imagining the story and characters while still be its own thing)
mc093Apr 5, 2018 5:30 PM
Apr 5, 2018 5:30 PM

Mar 2014
Holy shit, the animation in this is incredible!
I was expecting the show to look good from the PV, but this is on another level altogether! It looks so much like an old CEL animated show that it's truly kind of astounding.

You can tell the show was mastered digitally because of the digital effects they use (depth of field, some lighting effects, etc.), but the linework is just impeccable!
I think this is the first time I've seen digital linework that truly looks EXACTLY like a hand-painted CEL would. Like, I'm honestly still in awe. I'm sititng here questioning if the linework is even digital or not. I know a lot of anime production is still done traditionally and the clean-up is done on computers, but did they perhaps find some way to do clean-up traditionally and still color digitally? Speaking of the colors, the color palette is bringing me straight back to the 90s with it's muted colors giving me a heavy Cowboy Bebop vibe. The flow of the animation also gives me that vibe, although perhaps I would compare it more to something like Redline (yes, it's THAT good). Character design is also top-notch and gives off an 80s anime tone.

More shows should go for a style like this!

Seriously, any fans of CEL animation should absolutely watch this! It's astounding what they were able to achieve here. Definitely my most hype anime of the season.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 5, 2018 5:50 PM
Jul 2015
Not really a huge fan of the lazily introduced rivalry between Yuri and the MC. So far it's pretty clichéd but I'm expecting some balls-to-the-wall hype boxing shit to make up for that. The gritty atmosphere is really nice.
hi
Apr 5, 2018 6:02 PM

May 2013
So far a good start, I love the vibes of the rivalry between Junk Dog and Yuri reminds me alot of Ashita no Joe. I am hope that this continue to get better, since it lot to hold to, but as long it is a good tribute to Joe I think that will be fine enough. Also I love the way this first episode looks, the animation is really nice, and fit's it very well. Also Junk Dog is the first manly character we had in a long time, it feels good knowing manly series are coming back. Overall I give this an 7/10
Apr 5, 2018 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
Wonderful episode. I loved that ending especially.
Apr 5, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2015
That so much more than I expected, I'm seriously hyped about the next episode!!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."

Feb 2012
What a fantastic first episode. The characters, art, and ED song were all great. I hope the show can keep this momentum and I can't for the next episode. Great to have a good boxing anime airing.

Jan 2008
The visuals are gorgeous. Reminded me of Redline when he was riding his bike.

Hopefully the quality keeps put.

Pretty hyped for the next episode. Really want to see what he's capable of and how much far they'll take the animation in actual fights.
Apr 5, 2018 6:59 PM

Jul 2015
As a fan of Ashita no Joe I'm definitely excited for this, first episode was promising!
Apr 5, 2018 7:08 PM

Mar 2009
This was great. And I think everyone expected it to be great. No surprises here!
Apr 5, 2018 7:20 PM

Jul 2014
TahZin said:
Feels like old-school anime!!!

not at all i disagree. the animation itself just looked lazy, it was blurry and looked like 480p that was upscaled, it didn't have that sharpness that old shows have. everything else went by too fast and too me it tried way too hard too look cool i wasnt impressed.
that said this was the first episode, i just hope to get some good fights.
Apr 5, 2018 7:47 PM

Jun 2013
Man, what a nostalgic feel this one has.
Apr 5, 2018 8:04 PM
Jan 2016
Now that's what I call a premiere. Every aspect of it was impressive. Well, except the fact it had upscaled-from-low-res feel to it. Which was weird. If that's a deliberate decision from the staff, then that's a bad decision.

SkyDrop said:
As expected from TMS, the animation is really upto the mark and fitting to the show.

TMS Entertainment has never been this good at animating things. They're not bad animation studio, but this is not something that's expected from them. This is unexpectedly good.

AServantApr 5, 2018 9:18 PM
Apr 5, 2018 8:11 PM

Aug 2014
Expy Yoko looks more like KoF Chizuru than AnJ Yoko. Nice full circle.

Was wary at the announcement, but looks like they aren't unearthing much other than characters and the boxing. Prefer it that way. Little happened but enough to get some hype going for the next match.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 5, 2018 8:34 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I'm sold. That was a fantastic first episode and I'm looking forward to Junk Dog's match against Yuri in the next episode!

I also like that stylish credits roll. Great ED song too.
Apr 5, 2018 8:46 PM

Apr 2009
That was awesome. My only problem is that the image quality is really crappy, like it's been upscaled from 480p or something.
Apr 5, 2018 9:02 PM

Nov 2014
I fucking loved the first episode~

Can we just talk about the soundtrack like damn it got me so hyped
Im so excited for episode two!~
Apr 5, 2018 9:17 PM

Jun 2008
I haven't watched Ashita no Joe yet nor care about boxing, but damn that was a great premiere. So far, this is my must watch new show of the season.
Apr 5, 2018 10:26 PM
Dec 2016
Great ep, except for the upscaled resolution.

Yuri has the eyes of Rikishi, love the parallel between characters in Ashita no Joe and this.
Apr 5, 2018 10:34 PM

Jan 2011
facckk was more hype than the PV would of rather them brawl on the rainy highway but this way works since we get some motivation on how hes most likely gonna try and join the tourney

Music was so damn good only thing i hate is how low quality the video is like legit had to bring it down to the size of like 240p just to see when it would look HD

seriously lacking boxing anime's in my list so this is great
Apr 5, 2018 10:45 PM
Jan 2016
Definitely 5/5 best first episode of the season.

Damn this reminds me of ashita no joe and the 90’s 💛🙏

For the future joeeee XD
Apr 5, 2018 10:48 PM

Dec 2015
Seriously i didnt expext myself to like this show . After watching just a few minute i liked this show. And i even looked for the aired date just to be dissapointed that i have to wait another week to see the fight. This is torture
Apr 5, 2018 10:52 PM

Oct 2015
Good start, and a good way to stop the naysayers saying that this will be a dissapointment. Obviously, one episode isn't the best way, but I can expect something good out of this.

I just wonder if they would pay tribute at least a mention to AnJ.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 5, 2018 11:02 PM
Dec 2017
Another great boxing anime after the classics. It would be better if they extend the fights more in order to give Junk Dog a chance to show his moves.
Apr 5, 2018 11:11 PM

Nov 2012
cewkie said:
TahZin said:
Feels like old-school anime!!!

not at all i disagree. the animation itself just looked lazy, it was blurry and looked like 480p that was upscaled, it didn't have that sharpness that old shows have. everything else went by too fast and too me it tried way too hard too look cool i wasnt impressed.
that said this was the first episode, i just hope to get some good fights.

I'm disagreeing with your disagreement. The episode is well-paced.
Apr 5, 2018 11:41 PM

Oct 2008
Such a badass first episode! damn cliffhanger! the build-up on this one is excellent!
such a shame and too bad that the animation quality is ULTRA LOW! it's like 144p when i'm watching it from [hs] 1080p file!
5/5.

Apr 5, 2018 11:52 PM
Apr 2017
This is such a surprise to me, I never planned to watch it and only come across accidentally, but now this might be the most interesting show in this season imo
Apr 5, 2018 11:54 PM

Oct 2013
This is new fashion boxing :P

It's like Junk Dog (Steampunk) vs Yuri (Cyberpunk) :D

As a result, it will be a fun anime ;)
Apr 6, 2018 12:42 AM

Dec 2015
KIYXNI said:
this is a re imagining of Ashita no Joe

Wasn't this supposed to be simply some side/in-universe story made as an hommage?

Thankyou, @KIYXNI !
Rei_IIIApr 6, 2018 1:47 AM
Apr 6, 2018 12:45 AM

Jul 2014
I wasn't even planning on watching this show but I did it and man, this first episode was awesome. Hyped for the next one!
Apr 6, 2018 12:53 AM

Sep 2011
Good episode but the video quality is absolute trash
Apr 6, 2018 1:08 AM

Mar 2018
Rei366 said:
KIYXNI said:
this is a re imagining of Ashita no Joe

Wasn't this supposed to be simply some side/in-universe story made as an hommage?

I don't know where you read that. But no. It is a homage but it's a re-imagining of Ashita no Joe, not a 'side story'.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 6, 2018 1:48 AM

Nov 2016
The art style complemets the music so well !!!! I cant wait for the next episode...Its definitely gonna be the contender for the best anime this season!!
“𝔖𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔱𝔦𝔪𝔢𝔰 𝔦𝔱’𝔰 𝔫𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔱𝔬 𝔡𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔫𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰𝔰𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰.”

Apr 6, 2018 1:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Loved the art, animation and old school feel. And they really got the story and actors set into place quick, but without it feeling rushed or forced.

My only beef was the MC. He felt dumb, stupid and reckless as they come. But then again, most boxers arent exactly any different I suppose.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 6, 2018 2:04 AM

Nov 2016
And this is how an anime should start, straight into action. I like the main char's personality and the art animation really reassemble oldish animes, and i like it. Can't wait for the first "real" match.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.