Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2018 9:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, this was an intense start. It didn't waste much time to get to the point and I like the momentum.

The main character is Junk Dog and I like his tough personality so far. The show makes me want to learn more about him beyond just being a fighter. On technical terms, I like the animation quality for its roughness. The music is intense and has a nice style to match with the fighting.

I guess there's going to be a lot of fighting and rivalries made in the ring. It's definitely an intriguing show so far imo.
Apr 5, 2018 11:35 AM
May 2015
Really good start for a first episode, such a shame we have to wait a whole week to watch the next :/
Apr 5, 2018 11:55 AM

Mar 2018
"To stay down here, or fight my way out... I still haven't done either yet.."

So the opening monologue already creates a sense of ambiguity around the intentions of this main protagonist called Junk Dog. Obviously, since this is a re imagining of Ashita no Joe parallels are bound to be drawn. We have a main character who much like Joe has not realised his true ambition yet. However, Junk Dog is already a boxer. Fighting in underground matches for mere pennies in rigged fights on a rocky-esque note. And the differences do not stop there. I'm glad they went this route.

We also met with the Tange Denpei of this anime, old man Nanbu. Who is both a drunkard like Denpei was and also dons that famous eyepatch.

Anyway, one of my qualms before viewing the episode was with the short season length, primarily my doubts over the pacing.

The episode however nailed it. We learnt of both the setting in the first five minutes alongside the status of Junk Dog. A non-citizen from the slum-like area of the Administrative City who has to participate in rigged fights to make a living despite being an able and strong fighter, all to his dismay as he expresses massive disdain in having to throw his fights. This sets up a true rags to riches story which is one of the primary tropes of most boxing stories in any medium, from The Cinderella Man to the Rocky movies to the aforementioned Ashita No Joe.

We also had a descriptor of what Megalo Box is, "a combination of athleticism and gear technology" and "the ultimate combat sport" and the Megalonia tournament which will serve as the backdrop to the main story-line. An international tournament pitting the very best fighters against each other.

As evident from the Junk Dog/Ghetto Hachiya fight in this episode the technological addition to the boxing is great and fight sequences were animated brilliantly.

The score was also great which i reckon will be one of the biggest strengths of the show. From the synths to the hip hop in the background all off which connote to the roughness and brutality of both the setting and the sport. I'm super excited for this season.

5/5 for sure.
WAQRApr 5, 2018 11:58 AM

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 5, 2018 11:55 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first episode, very intense!!!
The principal character is attractive how cartoon character, I suppose it was for his personality!!!
Nice style animation too, i thought it was poorer, but was nice!!!
Apr 5, 2018 11:57 AM

Sep 2015
I really liked this first episode and I can't wait for the second one.
Something about the art direction reminds me of shows from the early 2000, which is not bad. I really like it to be honest.
Apr 5, 2018 12:03 PM

Feb 2011
Fantastic episode, this really hits the spot for me. I loved everything from characters to the artstyle, definitely looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 5, 2018 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
This was an intense first episode, I loved it. This is going to be my first time watching an anime about boxing. The art and animation has this early 2000s feel to it, which I like. The OST is very good. I'm liking Junk Dog's tough personality. Looking forward to see more.
Apr 5, 2018 12:05 PM

Dec 2017
Great 1st episode, can't wait for more. Like the art & animation a lot.
Apr 5, 2018 12:17 PM

Nov 2016
Of course they had to end it with a cliffhanger xD

I'm so glad that this is keeping up with my expectations,maybe even surpassing them.

Fantastic start. Charming old school style,rough vibe,great OST's,the characters don't seem cookie cutter either and the parallels to Ashita no Joe,I love all of it.

Easily the best introduction episode I've seen in a good while.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2018 12:21 PM

Jan 2017
They really surprised/impressed me with this. Definitely one of the better shows that have premiered so far this season!

Apr 5, 2018 12:23 PM

Mar 2018
Awesome episode! Can't wait to see where this will go! Also, damn that ending song.
Apr 5, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2016
Great first episode. Love the character design/animation and especially the music + voice actors so far.
Really looking forward to next week's episode.
Apr 5, 2018 12:39 PM

Apr 2009
what's with the 4:3 ratio cropped to 16:9. Looks like zoomed, everything looks like aa close-up
Apr 5, 2018 12:41 PM

Jan 2017
This episode definitely met my expectations and surpassed them. In particular, the animation and the OST caught my eye.
Apr 5, 2018 12:42 PM

Jul 2017
Really fun and intense 1st episode. One of the better premiere episodes this season so far.
Apr 5, 2018 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
Feels like old-school anime!!! I'm getting a sort of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun vibes from the style of this series!
Apr 5, 2018 12:49 PM

Nov 2015
Great 1st episode!
Way more enjoyable than that other popular boxing anime. (Ippo)
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 5, 2018 12:53 PM

Nov 2014
Great episode... can't wait for the fight..
Apr 5, 2018 1:00 PM

Apr 2017
Really good start for this show. With this kind of attitude and style that’s shown in the first episode, I reckon this will be my favorite of this season if it manages to keep it up! I’m very impressed!
Apr 5, 2018 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
This show is gorgeous, and the tone and pacing so far is fantastic. Solid first episode if I've ever seen one. I went in with no expectations, but I have high hopes for the rest of this show! Can't wait for next week!
Apr 5, 2018 1:02 PM
Feb 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
Great 1st episode!
Way more enjoyable than that other popular boxing anime. (Ippo)

Since megalo box is inspired by ashita no Joe of course it's pretty good
Apr 5, 2018 1:16 PM
Oct 2016
Good start, hopefully they can keep this up. I love the designs of the slum town and underground ring, can't wait to see more of it. The OST had some pretty good tracks as well, love the one that played at the end.

Interesting how different this actually is to Ashita no Joe, definitely more of a focus on boxing from the start for one, and he's already fighting this series equivalent of Rikiishi. The more differences the better in my opinion, they can go as crazy as they want, can't wait to see what they'll do and hopefully this series will get more people to check out Ashita no Joe, which is criminally underrated in the English speaking world.
Apr 5, 2018 1:27 PM

Feb 2015
I'm so excited for this show, the art style is very different from what we usually get nowadays and I'm liking the personality of the mc. Can't wait for the next ep.
Apr 5, 2018 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
great start,this looks very promising
so glad i picked it up,can't wait for 2nd episode.

Apr 5, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2013
Every once in a while, I enjoy watching shows with this type of art style. This is going to be good, I hope!

Show me violence, speed and momentum!

Apr 5, 2018 1:41 PM

Aug 2014
fkkkkk

gimme episode 2 right now pls
Apr 5, 2018 1:43 PM

Oct 2012
Is this gonna be AOTY? Because that's how you make a case for AOTY.

All of my hype.
Apr 5, 2018 1:45 PM

Jul 2010
A decent start but man that shitty filter or whatever it is that makes it look blurry is kinda annoying.
Apr 5, 2018 1:49 PM

May 2015
YES! It's exactly how I wanted it to be! Fantastic start. So happy :D

Edit: Thought I was watching the anime in 480p but it turns out the blur I saw throughout the episode is an added effect. Ehh I'm fine with it but it's a tad annoying.
FangApr 5, 2018 2:01 PM
Apr 5, 2018 2:04 PM

Dec 2015
The classic underdog story with an electrifying presentation and debut.

My blood is boiling just by watching these characters talk, just in general acting like badasses, and there hasn't even been an actual fight yet!

I also just love this grungy, steampunk-western aesthetic. I was a little iffy on the line-work at first, but it soon grew on me as well.

Oh yeah, the OST is pure fire.

What a great episode. Pumped for next week.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Apr 5, 2018 2:24 PM
Jan 2009
BlackstarFallen said:
This was an intense first episode, I loved it. This is going to be my first time watching an anime about boxing. The art and animation has this early 2000s feel to it, which I like. The OST is very good. I'm liking Junk Dog's tough personality. Looking forward to see more.

To me, this nice artwork reminds me of an Amer. animated show from that time period. Whether or not the animators meant for it have that early 2000s feel is an interesting question. Sometimes it is nice to have a show that aims for an older art style feel.

O.K., even before Crunchyroll announced getting the licensed, I had hoped this show would get licensed and get a simuldub. If this does get an Eng. dub, who do you guys and gals see playing Junk Dog. I see/hope David Wald does but Junk Dog is even up Chris Sabat's alley. Whoever might do a possible Eng. dubbed voice for JD, that guy wouldn't have to worry about trying to sound younger because Junk Dog looks like he is at least 20.

While this show is scheduled for 13 epi., spreading the word about it could help increase it's popularity for a possible second season. Heck, maybe a 2nd season is already set for the fall.
Kadmos1Apr 5, 2018 2:28 PM
Apr 5, 2018 2:24 PM

May 2015
It starts rather well, I feel that this anime can go far in intensity if it dares to do so.
Not much to say about the episode except that it's nice to find a character of Danpei style and I'm glad that the character design is very similar to that of Ashita no Joe, it will remind me my glorious hours to read this incredible manga !

We don't know much about Junk Dog, I hope that character will be rich and interesting and not just a simple shonen hero as we see too often but I have hope for the following episodes.

Next episode a fight against the champion, we will see if this anime will make his fighting a strong point ; the music seems pretty good too, I can't wait to see more and I hope we will have many episodes and I hope this anime will have the time to grow in intensity like the AnJ manga knew so well how to do it ! ^^
Apr 5, 2018 2:30 PM

May 2015
yes this might be quite good
Apr 5, 2018 2:34 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Whoa, this was a crazy good start. I can see the similarities and differences between this and Ashita no Joe. Great start.

5/5
Apr 5, 2018 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
This is definitively one of the best of spring 2018
Promising and interesting
Apr 5, 2018 2:39 PM

Jan 2017
Awesome first episode, now that's the sports anime I can get into
Apr 5, 2018 2:50 PM

Nov 2008
-_CryingLying_- said:
This is definitively one of the best of spring 2018
Promising and interesting
Absolutely!!!! Most likely the best, for me anyway ^_-
Apr 5, 2018 3:04 PM

Nov 2013
Man this first episode was amazing... definitely the best starter within the season so far imo.

From the AnJ vibe/references to the soundtrack, visuals and to the overall atmosphere this episode completely sold me on this. That antagonism of Junk Dog towards Yukiko was so nostalgic. Really looking forward for next week´s episode.

Apr 5, 2018 3:05 PM

Sep 2016
Probably my favorite this season (so far). Really looking forward to future episodes.
Apr 5, 2018 3:09 PM
Jun 2016
Caretoffel said:
Something about the art direction reminds me of shows from the early 2000, which is not bad. I really like it to be honest.

Yeah, it's got that hand drawn look to it which so many anime's miss these days, way too clean, which doesn't work, especially for the style of anime this looks to be. The little imperfections in the art, to me make it feel genuine, rather then something done on a computer with fill pink or red for colour.
Apr 5, 2018 3:15 PM

Jun 2008
With an opening episode like that, this anime might end up being the surprise of the season.
Apr 5, 2018 3:22 PM

Sep 2015
wolfwing said:
Caretoffel said:

Yeah, it's got that hand drawn look to it which so many anime's miss these days, way too clean, which doesn't work, especially for the style of anime this looks to be. The little imperfections in the art, to me make it feel genuine, rather then something done on a computer with fill pink or red for colour.

In the first minute I was kinda surprised. Like is this a corrupted release or something? But not even five minutes in, I had this feeling of nostalgia and as you said it looks genuine, but also I think it that the animation looks more fluid and natural that way.
Apr 5, 2018 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
i like the art and animation of this one, he is gonna fight the champion this early too
Apr 5, 2018 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
This was Great intensifying start! I like the way the show is making us draw attention to situation despite we don't know about MC that much. I gotta admit that his roughness and personality kinda remind me of Joe. (Definitely feels the vibes this show inspired from original show ANJ). As expected from TMS, the animation is really upto the mark and fitting to the show. The music is on another level.
Apr 5, 2018 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
Woo great, it was more than I expected c:
Apr 5, 2018 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
A bit cliched that the champion would show up to face a no name underground boxer like him over a coincidental meeting and a bit too predictable at this point that he will get his ass kicked by the champion in the next episode and then he would go on to win it when it would really matter- at the center stage where the whole world would be watching later on in the anime. So cliched and so predictable.

But you know what? Screw it whether it's cliched/predictable or not.

The fact that Hosoyan is giving the voice of such a badass character will bode well in the long run. This could be one fun ride. The best part was when he smacked his second out of the ring. That felt really refreshing because he was getting on my nerves.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 5, 2018 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Yuri is definitely the Rikiishi of this anime
Apr 5, 2018 3:41 PM
Nov 2017
shanimebib said:
A bit cliched that the champion would show up to face a no name underground boxer like him over a coincidental meeting and a bit too predictable at this point that he will get his ass kicked by the champion in the next episode and then he would go on to win it when it would really matter- at the center stage where the whole world would be watching later on in the anime. So cliched and so predictable.

But you know what? Screw it whether it's cliched/predictable or not.

The fact that Hosoyan is giving the voice of such a badass character will bode well in the long run. This could be one fun ride. The best part was when he smacked his second out of the ring. That felt really refreshing because he was getting on my nerves.
of course he would appear at the ring and fight him , JD was disrespecting him and who knows if he’s honestly gonna get his ass kicked . He’s most likely gonna lose but who’s to say he’s not gonna put up a good fight . Everything is “ cliche “ and “ predictable “ in today’s society I guess because a lot has been done already before . I wouldn’t say it’s really a bad thing , execution is what matters most .
Apr 5, 2018 4:03 PM

Feb 2013
Not bad.
Will Yuri end up like Rikiishi?
I hope not, I want something else.
Apr 5, 2018 4:04 PM

May 2015
That was a pretty great first episode. Gotta say that I like JD's character so far. I think it's pretty obvious that the rivalry between him and Yuuri will be the vocal point in this show. Looking forward to that.

Good start so far.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.