Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 5, 2018 7:55 AM

Oct 2015
I'm looking for comedy animes with normal setting but not so normal characters. Exaggerated everyday life you can say. But there's another things:

-minimum ecchi
-doesn't rely too much on moe-ness

Nichijou and Danshikokosei Nichijou fit this. Arakawa would also fit this I guess, if not for the fact that they are living under a bridge.
Apr 5, 2018 8:00 AM
Mar 2018
What about gintama? If you watched it I would recommend sket dance too.

School Rumble < is fine, but season two is kinda boring (in my opinion)
Tsurezure Children < cute, short and also funny
Monogatari series < with ecchi, but still a nice one.
Apr 5, 2018 8:09 AM

Oct 2015
I do like Gintama, it's funny. But for some reason I don't have the urge to watch the next episode. Besides, the setting is not so normal with modern Edo invaded by aliens while I'm looking for something with more mundane setting.

I'm searching for full-fledged comedy anime though. But School Rumble had been in my PTW for a while so I may try that.

Thanks for recs!
Apr 5, 2018 8:21 AM

Jan 2012
Ocarina_ said:
Besides, the setting is not so normal with modern Edo invaded by aliens while I'm looking for something with more mundane setting.

In Gintama most of the story revolves around normal Edo people, while aliens are not that focused on. At main arc points, aliens don't really play that much of a role in the show. Except for the Yato race, but they look 100% human, that's why I look over that.

Gintama mainly focuses on the comedy, but it has it's moments.

If you don't want to watch Gintama, maybe go for Watamote

Apr 5, 2018 8:27 AM

May 2012
+School Rumble

The protagonist of Moyashimon is a college freshman who can see microbes.

The heroine of Kuragehime so loves jellyfish that she considers herself a jellyfish otaku. She moves into a group home with four other women, each with her own fetish like trains, dolls, and older men.

Baccano! has a great cast of over-the-top characters, though I'm not sure I'd call it "everyday life." Most are immortals or gangsters, and some are both. Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is about the ordinary lives of hitmen.

Sarai-ya Goyou is a slice-of-life story about an unemployed samurai who becomes involved with a small group of kidnappers. It might be more moody than you'd like.

The protagonist of Hyouge Mono is a "warrior-esthete" who works as a negotiator for Oda Nobunaga. Many of the characters border on the absurd. Here, for instance, is a general performing a song about fishermen during a banquet. The caricatured faces are a trademark of this show and manga.

SeijiSenseiApr 5, 2018 8:30 AM
Apr 5, 2018 8:32 AM

Mar 2018
D-Frag (wait, you already watched it)

Then I got two mermaid shows for you.
- Seto no Hanayome
- Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san

Both fit your description. Rather than moe-ness, both shows rely on ridiculous-ness. Even though they have some cute characters, not over ecchi. Hope it helps!

Apr 5, 2018 8:49 AM

Oct 2015
DieOrYouWillDie said:

If you don't want to watch Gintama, maybe go for Watamote

Almost forgot about Tomoko the CringeBringer, should watch her soon.

SeijiSensei said:
+School Rumble

The protagonist of Moyashimon is a college freshman who can see microbes.

The heroine of Kuragehime so loves jellyfish that she considers herself a jellyfish otaku. She moves into a group home with four other women, each with her own fetish like trains, dolls, and older men.

Baccano! has a great cast of over-the-top characters, though I'm not sure I'd call it "everyday life." Most are immortals or gangsters, and some are both. Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is about the ordinary lives of hitmen.

Sarai-ya Goyou is a slice-of-life story about an unemployed samurai who becomes involved with a small group of kidnappers. It might be more moody than you'd like.

The protagonist of Hyouge Mono is a "warrior-esthete" who works as a negotiator for Oda Nobunaga. Many of the characters border on the absurd. Here, for instance, is a general performing a song about fishermen during a banquet. The caricatured faces are a trademark of this show and manga.

Those Samurai titles looks interesting, is it comedy or historical?

Renkini said:
D-Frag (wait, you already watched it)

Then I got two mermaid shows for you.
- Seto no Hanayome
- Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san

Both fit your description. Rather than moe-ness, both shows rely on ridiculous-ness. Even though they have some cute characters, not over ecchi. Hope it helps!

Yes, I need some amount of ridiculousness, these will help.

Thanks for the recs!
Apr 5, 2018 11:10 AM

Feb 2017
Azumanga Daioh would seem to fit the description of an exaggerated everyday life comedy. It's quite amusing too.
Apr 5, 2018 1:11 PM

Jan 2012
This came to mind:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/10396/Ben-To

It's about a bunch of guys beating the hell out of eachother for discounted boxed lunches, I'd say that's pretty unusual. It was pretty fun to watch.

Apr 6, 2018 6:50 AM

May 2012
Ocarina_ said:
Those Samurai titles looks interesting, is it comedy or historical?

Sarai-ya Goyou is entirely fictional, based on a manga by the well-known author Ono Natsume. It does have some funny moments, but I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy.

Hyouge Mono is a bit harder to characterize. It's based on an award-winning manga and follows all the major events of the Sengoku period starting soon before the assassination of Oda Nobunaga and continuing on through much of Hideyoshi's reign. All the main characters are historical personages like those two and the protagonist, Furuta Sasuke. Hyouge Mono is certainly more comedic than Sarai-ya Goyou, but its underlying story is serious. It does deviate markedly from the historical canon in its depiction of the events at Honnouji shrine, but I think most of the story follows the actual history of the period fairly closely.

SeijiSenseiApr 6, 2018 6:58 AM
Apr 6, 2018 7:41 AM

Jun 2015
Tonari no seki-kun (a shorts series)
Ookami-san to shchinin
Kono Bijitsubu

Apr 6, 2018 7:42 AM

Oct 2015
Paniponi Dash!

setting + characters - well, highschool. There are some (ridiculous + ridiculously loveable) extraterrestrials, but mainly it is a bunch of highschool girls, some boys are there but do not really play a role.

moe - when Becky's general bitchiness/ sarcasm gets her into trouble, she may try to play the moe card, sometimes it works.

The comedy and general ridiculousness is what I think might suit you.

ps - I find the English dub to be not bad, not at all.
It is just that the Japanese one is so perfectly on the same exaggerated silliness level as the show overall is; and the English voice for the alien captain is not on par. :(
BannoBunka_snorkApr 6, 2018 7:49 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Apr 6, 2018 9:19 AM

Apr 2010
Daily lives of high school boys

Apr 6, 2018 10:30 AM

Nov 2015
Durarara fits the criteria
⛥Something wicked this way comes.⛥

More topics from this board

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Today

7 by this_shit_again »»
11 minutes ago

» looking for a specific anime. i don't know the name of and don't know much about.

popohater88 - Apr 10

2 by popohater88 »»
27 minutes ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - 2 hours ago

2 by 8oomer »»
53 minutes ago

» Konosuba - order of watching

devapoid - Mar 31

3 by epsilono »»
2 hours ago

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

DaydreamPhoenix - 7 hours ago

2 by DaydreamPhoenix »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.