Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion

Nov 11, 2018 10:18 AM

very good show. other shows tend to get emotional at the end, violet ever seems to get emotional every episode. its good to be different ey.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396

Nov 20, 2018 3:27 AM

I finished this anime a few days ago, trying to sort my emotions as I feel that it's not enough. The ending was not as climatic as I think it is, but it's a beautiful ending nonetheless with the ending scene that is just full of many possibilities.

Is Gilbert dead? From the Wikipedia, he's most probably dead. From Violet's last smiling scene, he might be not. I generally don't really care about it at all.

The fact that Violet has finally learnt to understand different emotions and to personally experience it is already a very satisfying ending for me. No matter Gilbert is dead or not, she learnt the true meaning behind living free and love yet still continue her works as an Auto-Memory Doll to help others anywhere, everywhere while expressing the emotions into the letter. For me, the ending is as perfect as it could be.

Having Gilbert alive now would probably be a bonus though. Damn, I can't wait for that movie to be released!

Dec 1, 2018 5:13 PM
Beautiful and amazing anime. I really loved the animation throughout the series, it was amazing. I didn't really know how I felt about this show till the finale. I actually really enjoyed the show. However, I didn't fully enjoy the middle part of the show that much, except for certain stories.

This show really reminds me of Death Parade in some aspects. For both shows, depending on your ability to resonate with the side characters in a particular episode, results in whether you like the episode or not. Some episodes were definitely more impactful to me than others. The main reason I like this show is because of Violet. I love her character and her development in the show. However, this show isn't perfect or for everyone. It can be slow in some places and boring in others.

Overall, I really liked this show's message and what it was trying to portray with its uses of empathy, I definitely cried. I will give it an 8/10. Loved hearing everyone's thoughts on this show.

Dec 17, 2018 9:11 AM

A sweet tale of self discovery with quite a few touching moments though at times the story came off as too melodramatic.

I had a bit of trouble believing certain aspects of Violet's character development which hampered my immersion, and some episodes were on the weaker side but overall I enjoyed her journey and the various sub stories.

Dec 20, 2018 12:29 AM

open ended ending.. i really hope gilbert is alive somewhere out there, there's a chance he isn't after all. but i wonder what would happen if he were to appear alive.. maybe the movie project will close off that open ended ending then. i really enjoyed violet's adventures and seeing her character grow, 9/10 from me.
Modified by saengdao, Jan 13, 9:45 PM

Dec 27, 2018 5:10 PM

I absolutely loved this show! Violet's emotional journey really captivated me and episode 10 was a masterpiece. I only wish, after all the crying she did, that we got to see Violet laugh at least once. That would've been wonderful. Still, this show gets a 10/10 for me. This episode and the last one seemed a little rushed, but I don't mind. I can't wait to watch this again.

Dec 28, 2018 5:08 PM

After the long days Violet has been out, and after literally saving years worth of work and tons of money by using great efforts, she's finally back and reunited with her co-workers out to see a beautiful flight fair day.

It's even better afterwards that Diethard finally accepts the new Violet and stopped seeing her as a tool, in the end, Violet meeting with his and Major Gilbert's mom was emotional but now Violet can be sure that Major Gilbert's death is not her fault.

The letter he wrote to Major Gilbert is emotional but calming somehow. Violet finally understands what Major Gilbert meant by "I love you". Thus, the emotionless tool became a human capable of emotions.

I have been wanting to watch Violet Evergarden since it was airing early this year, but I hold it off, which is why I didn't get into the hype train. I got a rather beautiful feel trip watching this show. The character of Violet and her journey to learn what "I love you" meant from her emotionless state was wonderful! Her character personality and her character development were well crafted, and I love the character, Violet! However, this show fell in terms of creating a perfect story, it doesn't feel very engaging. Does this have to do something with the changed story from the LN as some users have claimed? Nevertheless, it's a been a nice short journey!

Lol... Violet turns out to be one of my friend's waifu... I'm excited about the discussion we're about to have regarding this character and the magnificent development she has!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 30, 2018 2:04 PM

After watching this for the second time I came to a conclution... Hodgins should be a doll, what a beautiful letter.
If you wonder where I read this or that manga, is always in internet since I am not in Japan yet.

Normally I read the manga in English but I can also speak Spanish, Japanese and a bit or French and Italian, so if is not available in English I read the manga in another language.

Dec 30, 2018 2:09 PM

Good anime, the premise of the series was definitely out of the ordinary. Violet was an interesting lead character as she learned what her emotions were and how to deal with them.
Life Is Short But Intense.

Jan 5, 3:53 PM

Such an amazing show! So emotionally touching. I cried every single episode. I stupidly went through the first few episodes convinced that Violet was a robot, thinking "when are the side characters going to address the elephant in the room? Such a sisyphean task, they're trying to educate a robot on feelings!"

I think the premise of having a 10-year old (or however old she was) being made into a feared weapon was the show's single greatest flaw. Sadly, there was a lot of breaking the suspension of disbelief. Perhaps it would have been better if it was about an actual robot trying to learn human emotions. Still, this is probably one of the best shows I have ever seen, non-anime included.

All in all, this was just so fantastic! I wish I could unsee and resee this...

Jan 12, 8:16 PM

I hate this fucking anime. How dare it pulls sorcery on me and turns my salt into tears.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 13, 1:56 AM

As a person to whom writing physical letters had been and still is an activity, I could really feel the emotion that was drawn onto these characters while writing and getting that only touch of the bottom of the human's feelings. Just as we are braver on the internet fields when given the anonimity, similar law applies to writing letters over distance.
There's no much need to be a crybaby over this, but it's still a bit grieving that in her universe letters and typesetters will also cease to be ubiquitous, not in her lifetime, perhaps. Not completely sure that these shows exactly portray the way of living of ~WW1 era, but it touches me so gently to see this way of living, make westworld real please.

Jan 14, 2:22 PM

Episode 10 made me raise the score to 8 but the end of episode of 12 made me teary-eyed too so that lets it stay there. Strong character development for Violet. Personally I found like it could use some less reminder of Shousa but then again he was really precious to Violet n I guess partly he grew on me so there's that. Good series over-all, had some particularly strong episodes.

Jan 22, 4:15 PM

The animation is top notch, some episodes are great, others are over dramatic... Violet's character growth was too sudden between I don't remember which episode and the one where she writes letters for royalty... Music is ok. To be honest, I think I could have dropped if not for the animation quality... Watching Violet was mesmerizing!

Overall a good anime. 8/10

Jan 27, 8:44 PM
haven't see such an amazing show in a while. I don't know why there is so much hate for this beautiful masterpiece and the only reason it bothers me that it might push away some people from it. It started slowly for sure, but it was a very magical ride. 2018 had many good shows, but this one stall it for me.

Jan 29, 4:42 AM

Wholesome ending. I really am glad this series took this route to conclude its plot, it was all emotion packed from start to finish, and seeing an end that's this happy raises the spirit a bit and helps with the sad nature of the show.
I've always partly liked the captain, but not I love him, that priceless after credits scene needs to be elaborated more upon, like what made Violet flinch for a bit? I really hope that's what the OVA episode is all about.
Modified by Barnald, Feb 1, 8:26 AM

Jan 30, 5:32 AM

Glad I'm not read LN, so I can enjoy this anime, unlike some other people here.

after all what happened in my life, I finally realized.
God never say a thing. And God's silence has nothing to do with life or death.

Feb 4, 3:54 AM
So violet evergarden...it was a wonderful anime with lots of emotional breakdown... Though this anime doesn't have a main plot but each and every episode here has a charm of its own... each episode says a different story...and the character development for the mc Violet is really well done...also the visual and sound are magnificent...we can say that this anime was an adventure of a non empathic girl who doesn't understand the meaning of love and then she begins her journey to figure it out while living in the most saddest moments of her life...I rate it 9/10...and it's a must watch show!!!

Feb 14, 12:21 AM

Damn, didn't expect this show to consistently have amazing episode after amazing episode over and over again. I really loved Violet's character and the little interactions she had with everyone else. Not a complex story, but all of it was effective and emotional. I don't even have to mention the visuals, but I will say the music and sound design were just as powerful as the visuals to set the mood. Very well done.

I guess the only thing I can say I didn't love was whenever the main plot of the show got focus, it was kind of jarring because the show felt way different than the little slice of life stories we were getting for the longest time. Not bad though, and at least all of them still served to further Violet's development.

I'll probably give it an 8.5/10. Damn show made me cry more than once.
Modified by EternalSerenity, Feb 14, 12:26 AM

Feb 27, 1:34 PM

This was abysmal. The most boring shit I have ever seen, what in the hell is Kyoani thinking, they need to throw away their whole LN system in the trash. The story was so fucking stupid and all the characters were unbelievably uninteresting. 1/10
:3

Mar 10, 7:50 PM

Overall an enjoyable series, a few episodes missed the mark though. I enjoyed violets progression through the series, the art work and music was amazing. I did find it a bit odd that the one off characters seemed to be more interesting than the support characters though.

Mar 14, 12:27 PM

I liked this series overall. I felt the progression of Violet was well done and not rushed. I felt when it had more of a mushishi approach to the episodes with individual stories that (may or may not have a happy ending) it was at its best. The last 2 episodes probably 3 weren't that great to me. The whole drama with the war and the fight scenes didn't really do much for me.

7/10.

Apr 8, 8:08 PM

This is easily one of the best anime shows I've seen in recent times. I was laughing and tearing up every episode. It was such a nice emotional roller coaster for me.

I am glad at how the anime ended but I am not glad that they are planning to add another season. I have a feeling it will be a disappointment, but at the same time I guess I am glad I'll be able to see more of Violet. She is such a waifu. <3

Apr 29, 1:20 PM

One of the better KyoAni shows to come out of recent years. It started off pretty slow imo, but eventually it picked up the pace around ep4. I really enjoyed this show, I think there were a couple episodes that did let the show down however, but overall a solid emotional story with great characters and animation. The soundtrack was excellent too, a few reoccuring tracks I enjoyed listening to every time they came on. Also, probably the best animated series I've seen in a LONG time. Absolutely stunning. 8/10.
*insert cringey anime reference here*

May 8, 11:59 AM

Wow, it's amazing how much she grew during these 13 episodes.

May 26, 5:55 AM

saengdao said:
open ended ending.. i really hope gilbert is alive somewhere out there, there's a chance he isn't after all. but i wonder what would happen if he were to appear alive.. maybe the movie project will close off that open ended ending then. i really enjoyed violet's adventures and seeing her character grow, 9/10 from me.

the job at the end mite be fr9m major, it was him at thevend, i think that causr of expression Violet made

Jun 17, 2:37 PM

I loved almost eveything about this anime. I loved Violet, she became one of my favorite waifu's. The visuals were also beautiful and the voice acting was great. The only thing I didn't like about this show was the episode with the princess.

I give it a 9/10.

Jul 2, 12:52 PM

Violet Evergarden is far from perfect. I have my own problems with it but it was still an enjoyable journey in the end. The problem with this show is that it was way too overhyped even before it aired that it set the bar too high making the fall even harder. I also blame KyoAni for this because they were the ones who started the hype train in the first place giving the Violet Evergarden LN their most prestigious award or something and hyping up the show as the greatest one to come out of the studio yet. Well, it wasn't in the end but that doesn't mean it's a terrible show either. It just didn't live up to the standard they set.

With the way I phrased this, it makes it look like I hate the show but I don't really. It was great seeing Violet's journey to self-worth. She had a rocky start due to her upbringing but as she went on with life and meeting different people and touching their lives, she has fully grasped her emotions and what it means to be a human. It was truly amazing seeing her growth as a character. I genuinely enjoyed some of the short stories. Luculia and his brother and Iris and her parents' stories were nice. Leon, Oscar and his daughter, and Anne and her mother were great. Episode 10 and 7 especially were beautifully-made. The visuals and animation are top-tier. KyoAni really poured their heart and soul into making this anime as beautiful as possible.

Like I said, this show isn't perfect. Having an episodic format, we're bound to run into some uninteresting stories. Episode 5 and 11 left a bitter taste in my mouth. I also find some aspects in the premise flawed. I didn't like how the show makes it look like Auto Memoir Dolls are some kind of goddesses of words or something. They literally ask for Dolls to type for kingdoms' love letters for each other. In this episode alone, I find it ridiculous that they needed Cattleya to type some peace treaty for them. Are there no educated people in this universe at all?

Apart from Iris, none of the side characters had some form of development but I don't consider it a flaw at all because the story is centered around Violet's growth. The side characters are just there to help her along the way and set up the premise for the show. Not a valid flaw in my opinion.

The pacing in this show is also awkward. We had some interesting development in episode 5 when Dietfried showed up mocking Violet's decision to become a Doll and then the next episode, we move on to another story. Don't get me wrong, episode 6 was great and all but it should have been placed elsewhere. The interesting turn of events was completely disrupted and we never got anything from Dietfried again until episode 11.

Speaking of Dietfried, he was one of the worst things in this show. For such a major character, he was extremely underdeveloped. He acted like a dick all this time to Violet and blames her for Gilbert's death even though he was always been a cunt to Violet even before his brother died. We never got a proper history from him and Violet and why he hates her so much. He has acted like a dick even towards his own brother every time he appears in the show so making him some kind of a sympathetic character in the end is just a tad too late.

It's also a shame that we never got to see more of Violet's history before entering the military. She was just this clueless yet excellent fighter that Dietfried found somewhere. It would have been great to know how she became that way.

KyoAni is infamous for diverting from the source material and making their own stories from its premise. After reading some spoilers from the LN, it looks like Gilbert did love Violet romantically and I must say, this is one of those times when I'm glad the studio took some control over the anime and removed all the romantic tension because I absolutely despise the idea of Gilbert harboring some romantic feelings for Violet.

Anyway, that's a lot of text and it made it look like I didn't like the show at all but it's actually the opposite. I like the show despite its flaws. Even though it feels already complete at this point, there's still 2 movies coming up so I wonder what is it even about. I'm still looking forward to it though.

I'm giving this show a 6/10
Modified by Tohsaka_Rukia, Jul 4, 7:18 AM

Yesterday, 8:14 AM
Violet Evergarden, was one of those animes that made me cry in more than one episode. Its beautiful animation, soundtrack and the evolution of the protagonist, Violet, throughout history make it worth seeing. Seeing how she tries to discover the meaning of love and with it, that of freedom, is an experience that I will never forget.
A tragic and sad story, yes, but also too beautiful. Thanks Kyoto Animation for this wonderful adaptation ❤. 10/10

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]