Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2018 6:27 PM
Nov 2017
People really think they can judge or review a whole season after 1 episode . Yes the episode was 6 chapters but they probably did that only for the first episode to just get stuff started and not be too slow paced . Most likely the next episodes are gonna be 2-3 chapters . I’ve seen people actually enjoy this episode and not bash the whole season because of the first episode . I’ve started to think The people on MAL are just jokes who don’t know what they’re talking about most of the time . I’m not even the biggest fan of Tokyo ghoul and even I think all this hate is dumb . Give it the 3 episode rule atleast . I know manga readers might’ve been disappointed but don’t jump to conclusions that the whole season is just gonna be bad
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2018 6:31 PM
Aug 2016
tbh that was pretty good, the introduction to it was kind of meh since it didn't really explain what was going on but compared to the train wreck of season two i really liked that first episode.
Apr 3, 2018 6:39 PM
Jan 2017
Take a look at these votes. ;P
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1718918

I dont think its getting too much hate. It was fast paced. Pretty fast pretty pretty fast... yes .... yes.

But i think if they would have decided to adapt more source material for the first episode the hate would have been much bigger.
To be honest i did not really enjoy the first manga chapters but for the anime i wished they would have taken a few more scenes into this episode instead of some useless scenes.

After all im not too hyped im hyped. And i cant wait for the 2nd episode because the chapters they SHOULD show in the next episodes were some of my favorites of the whole anime. - I might change my point of view later on. ;D
CptJackSparrowApr 3, 2018 6:44 PM
Apr 3, 2018 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
You take MAL with a grain of salt. That said tokyo ghoul (as an anime) adaptation is not good. It's not. Who knows how this season will fair but if it's anything like the former installments it's not going to have a lot of substance.

What people feed into is the casuals who come out in droves to hype their mainstream anime. I won't lie I feed off it as well to an extent. I mean no one here will take your venting seriously after simply looking at your profile. Unless your comments are substantiated, you've watched <10 shows that I know of and your favorite characters are literally all mainstream, your critique of "anime" means nothing to someone like me whether the comment is good or bad.

I haven't even watched episode one yet but I'm expecting it to be a bunch of edgy try hard nonsense with a weak story flow and shitty animation because that's where the direction has been the last installments. Maybe I'll be wrong but history has that to compete with.

tldr MAL feeds off mainstream casuals that come out to hype a show simply because it's an over hyped series.
Apr 3, 2018 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
Why do you care
What even is the 3 episode rule and why should we abide by it
Why won't you people ever accept that popular things are bound to inspire strong responses in a wide variety of directions
Apr 3, 2018 6:52 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I don't think people need to abide to a 3 episode rule to give their opinions on the first episode tbh. Sure maybe criticizing the season as a whole maybe be a stretch but I for one can't blame them as Pierrot has a track record of making horrible animes. They rarely ever make a good adaptation so it's understandable why people are saying this is gonna be utter trash right out the gate.

If you ask me, I personally agree that this season as well if gonna be terrible albeit I know I'll still enjoy it.
Apr 3, 2018 6:54 PM
Jan 2016
I know it's hard for you as a fan to see your beloved anime being critcized, but try to be patient. I am sure you can.
Apr 3, 2018 6:54 PM
Nov 2017
IZEROII said:
You take MAL with a grain of salt. That said tokyo ghoul (as an anime) adaptation is not good. It's not. Who knows how this season will fair but if it's anything like the former installments it's not going to have a lot of substance.

What people feed into is the casuals who come out in droves to hype their mainstream anime. I won't lie I feed off it as well to an extent. I mean no one here will take your venting seriously after simply looking at your profile. Unless your comments are substantiated, you've watched <10 shows that I know of and your favorite characters are literally all mainstream, your critique of "anime" means nothing to someone like me whether the comment is good or bad.

I haven't even watched episode one yet but I'm expecting it to be a bunch of edgy try hard nonsense with a weak story flow and shitty animation because that's where the direction has been the last installments. Maybe I'll be wrong but history has that to compete with.

tldr MAL feeds off mainstream casuals that come out to hype a show simply because it's an over hyped series.
You don’t know me or my favorite characters . I barely use MAL
Apr 3, 2018 7:02 PM
Nov 2017
TheServant said:
I know it's hard for you as a fan to see your beloved anime being critcized, but try to be patient. I am sure you can.
like I said I’m not even a Tokyo ghoul fan . Is your reading comprehension that poor ?
Apr 3, 2018 7:03 PM

Jan 2011
MonkeyDJasper said:
IZEROII said:

Well thanks for dropping by to just drop a rage comment and dip. All the more reason to not really care about what you are saying.

> Barely uses MAL
> Proceeds to complain about MAL
Apr 3, 2018 7:06 PM
Jan 2016
MonkeyDJasper said:
like I said I’m not even a Tokyo ghoul fan . Is your reading comprehension that poor ?

"I’m not even the biggest fan of Tokyo ghoul . . . " According to this sentence that you wrote, you are not the biggest fan of Tokyo Ghoul, but still a fan. You should fix that sentence. And no, my reading comprehension is not poor. Thank you for your concern.
AServantApr 3, 2018 7:10 PM
Apr 3, 2018 7:08 PM
Nov 2017
IZEROII said:
MonkeyDJasper said:

Well thanks for dropping by to just drop a rage comment and dip. All the more reason to not really care about what you are saying.

> Barely uses MAL
when I said I barely use mal I meant I barely make topic discussions or heart characters who are my favorite . I always check to see the scores or reviews for episodes so I should’ve worded that better but I could care less if you agree with me . My point was no one should judge the whole season off of 1 episode like I’ve seen people doing . If you wanna bash the episode go ahead but not the whole season because we have yet to seen a full 12 episodes . Yes Tokyo ghoul as an anime has been dissapointing but who knows what this season will become .
Apr 3, 2018 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
@MonkeyDJasper
This lost the "benefit of the doubt" after it's second attempt of adapting the manga. If people want to judge this to be crap out of the gate then so be it. It has no positive track record to fall back on. Each attempt as been a mainstream cluster fuck mess that literally floundered out of the gate. What has been shown in episode one is largely following the exact same mistakes in adaptation that has been made in series prior.

While I agree it's best to stay reserved (which is why I still don't rate anime I've dropped even if I've watched 99% of it, I didn't complete it so how can I rate it) tokyo ghoul has not been good each time and they are not starting off with a new formula. 2 + 2 + 4 scenerio. It's the anime adaptations' own fault for having an upward climb to deal with out of the gate. That's the reason why. Deal with it and hope that it's good so you can come back and drop another random thread. But I doubt that it will be. Regardless I'm done with this useless thread.
Apr 3, 2018 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
I wont deny that the pacing of the first episode was rushed. Yes, it was rushed. But in the defense I think it worked out in its favor to an certain extent. I believe it did worked out for their end despite the omitting information.

At this point for me, when it comes to TG:re anime, as long as the series can stay on the same direction and not go full-on Root A Route (which is basically what I consider contradicting every aspect that the original has established that ruins anything from the adaption originally) then I think for me it'll be fine. I just don't want it to go to that route basically.

As for the MAL ratings, take the criticisms and complaints with a grain of salt I guess. While I do disagree with some people at the end of the day it's an opinion piece (unless these opinions get dragged onto a personal attack to an individual). People have the right to complain, its just when it comes to them its better to reserve it to your own judgement. I'll judge the series as a whole when it ends. For now for a first impression it was actually decent personally so.
Apr 3, 2018 8:07 PM

Feb 2010
Sorry people but I disagree with those saying that TG anime adaptation is not good. I watched the anime first then read the manga because I wanted to know more and I realise it makes sense how so much stuff was removed for the anime.
Then there is root A which I believe is a fresh take on TG that deserves some justice and I still wonder if the ending is confirmed or will be retconned.

While there is poetry in the manga, it would be ridiculous to put some scenes on the screen knowing the fight scenes are what people look forward to the most.

Remember that we got songs like "Unravel", "Glassy Sky" and "Kisetsu ha tsugitsugi shindeiku" (root A OP and TG:RE OP and ED are lackluster). Also fight scenes in the manga don't even come close to what you see in the anime, especially the fight scene with Jason and Unravel in the background.
Apr 4, 2018 2:31 AM
Apr 2018
Idk why you even bother. The MAJORITY of manga readers will always hate on the anime version. So common at this point that's its cliche. If you enjoy it then watch it, who cares what they think. The MAJORITY of manga readers remind me of the majority of those pc master race people. Self entitled, thinking everything they say is absolute and anyone who thinks differently is trash, simply bc they read the manga. Annoying af, will argue for days over something that's a matter of opinion. But most importantly they're the type of people I ignore/avoid. They're toxic(should be obvious with how they judge a whole season over the first episode then go online to dog it). They usually never give an honest review just bc it wasn't exactly like the manga. Its so old. zzz snore zzzz
Apr 4, 2018 2:37 AM

Apr 2016
They are just salty because how ships in manga were done, so they focus their hatred towards anime adaptation as well.

Don't be bothered by them OP.
Apr 4, 2018 6:03 AM
Nov 2016
I think most people just have PTSD from root A but there will always be people who will review shows after just one episode... It's nothing new.

Not to mention, the episode had flaws other than the fast pacing (I do think they'll slow the pacing down in the future).... The most problematic fact for the show is that the dark atmosphere of the manga is VERY difficult to adapt into an anime and let's be honest, Studio Pierrot is not a studio which is known for being a good studio....

I did like the episode but as a manga fan, it just leaves so much to be desired.
Apr 4, 2018 6:13 AM
Aug 2016
MonkeyDJasper said:
People really think they can judge or review a whole season after 1 episode . Yes the episode was 6 chapters but they probably did that only for the first episode to just get stuff started and not be too slow paced . Most likely the next episodes are gonna be 2-3 chapters . I’ve seen people actually enjoy this episode and not bash the whole season because of the first episode . I’ve started to think The people on MAL are just jokes who don’t know what they’re talking about most of the time . I’m not even the biggest fan of Tokyo ghoul and even I think all this hate is dumb . Give it the 3 episode rule atleast . I know manga readers might’ve been disappointed but don’t jump to conclusions that the whole season is just gonna be bad
you're totally right
Apr 4, 2018 6:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I can understand your opinion, but the most important is tolerate the other MAL members, because every person is different, and for what you consider a deconsideration may be that normal general consideration.
If you don´t like the system, you can send an advice to the moderators or staff members to consider it, but never judge adversely, because it´s a forum, a place to enjoy, and you can judge seriously or joke mode because all are different!!! Always can stop to read, and go to the next user opinion!!

;) Welcome!
Apr 4, 2018 6:27 AM

Mar 2014
Isn't it amazing how it's always the people that think an anime (or dub) seems bad based on the trailer or the first episode that need to wait before making a judgement, but never the people who rave about how good it is even if they possess the exact same amount of knowledge?
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 4, 2018 6:31 AM

May 2015
MAL hates TG. I don't expect a perfect adaptation from SP so I'm happy from what I've seen in the first episode. It'll be great if it sticks to the source material throughout this 12 episode season, like during the first season, as the content they're adapting is some of the best in the series.

Nice to see the broken record has come out to play again too lol. Takes me back to when I first joined MAL.
Apr 4, 2018 6:39 AM

Feb 2011
Apr 4, 2018 6:51 AM

Dec 2013
Wait a minute, it was rushed?
I don't read manga but first episode seemed alrighty to me. Better than whole s2.
Apr 4, 2018 6:56 AM

Sep 2017
listen, i don't know much about tokyo ghoul but i do know that when i was 10 at my local barnes and noble i bought the first volume of the manga and didn't like it. anyway, i can hear the tears of the salty manga fanboys over this anime adaptation.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 4, 2018 8:55 AM
Sep 2016
IZEROII said:

Not disagreeing with you or anything but to be fair...you also pretty much just have mainstream stuff as your faves soooo....hmmmm
1.1.Six
Apr 4, 2018 8:57 AM
Sep 2016
Kamiyan3991 said:
I don't read manga but first episode seemed alrighty to me. Better than whole s2.

Just find a place to skim through the first 6 chapters of re... You'll notice all the stuff missing
1.1.Six
Apr 4, 2018 8:58 AM
Sep 2016
Comic_Sans said:
Isn't it amazing how it's always the people that think an anime (or dub) seems bad based on the trailer or the first episode that need to wait before making a judgement, but never the people who rave about how good it is even if they possess the exact same amount of knowledge?

Exactly.... Exactly.... Exactly.... Exactly
Ow mahn..
EXACTLY!!!
1.1.Six
Apr 5, 2018 12:13 PM

Dec 2013
JudoJD said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Just find a place to skim through the first 6 chapters of re... You'll notice all the stuff missing

What for? Seems alrighty to me. Why would I bother with manga if anime looks quite decent?
Apr 5, 2018 12:17 PM

Oct 2017
MonkeyDJasper said:

MAL scores, reviews, community all are absurd...
I would recommend you to not care about anything, and just keep enjoying shows you like.
Apr 5, 2018 12:33 PM

Jun 2011
Hatsuyuki said:
Most likely the next episodes are gonna be 2-3 chapters .

Either they will adapt 4 chapters per episode or they will cut useless Auction canon fodder fights. The fight with a bald guy was complete filler, nothing changes if he isn't there.

Anyways, view this as being on the same level as any Light Novel adaptation that cuts stuff.

Early :re has plenty of action and insignificant fights, therefore it will not be a sin to skip them.
Apr 5, 2018 1:49 PM
Dec 2017
Hahaha...yes we are a joke and so are you.

Apr 5, 2018 1:55 PM

May 2015
People do that for every show.

Apr 5, 2018 2:02 PM
Jan 2018
I really agree with you. But like anything in this world, there are haters and people who think they can just slander anything with little reason.
Apr 5, 2018 3:29 PM

Nov 2016
You should know how MAL (and the internet) is, just try to ignore. I am with you about it but you know.. if they see something bad they generalize that the rest will be as well.
Apr 5, 2018 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Stein said:

Because the word "review" has a meaning behind it. It means "to write a critical appraisal of." How can you do that if you haven't actually watched the thing you're appraising? This joke of a "Review" section is starting to look more and more like a Comment section written by cretins who think they can accurately review something after seeing 20 minutes of it. It's as ridiculous as writing a review for a book after reading 10 pages.
Apr 5, 2018 3:40 PM

May 2009
Mangareaders know it turns to shit. Too bad animeonly are easy to please with some gore and edge.
Apr 5, 2018 3:50 PM

Apr 2014
they are getting them stats up op. what if this studio is bombed and the series is never finished? then they will never get to make a review or whatever if they have to wait until its over. the three episode rule could work for this series since its probably only like 12 episodes but for double cour series even this becomes problematic. shitposting is an art, op. its not all about forum posts (thought maybe they are like 80%.) the remainder goes to reviews and blog posts and interviews and all other nonsense
Apr 5, 2018 4:10 PM

Aug 2016
TokiWoKezuru said:
Stein said:

Because the word "review" has a meaning behind it. It means "to write a critical appraisal of." How can you do that if you haven't actually watched the thing you're appraising? This joke of a "Review" section is starting to look more and more like a Comment section written by cretins who think they can accurately review something after seeing 20 minutes of it. It's as ridiculous as writing a review for a book after reading 10 pages.

Sure, but when did OP state that they were talking about reviews in particular? Okay they did, my bad.

Moreover, is there even any actual meaningful difference between bashing a show after a single episode and bashing it after three?

I understand what you're trying to say and I agree but that "rule" is just the dumbest, most arbitrary thing ever and it honestly doesn't apply to your point.
Apr 5, 2018 8:50 PM

Jul 2012
Kamiyan3991 said:
JudoJD said:

What for? Seems alrighty to me. Why would I bother with manga if anime looks quite decent?

It's your choice whether to see the content at its best or not. Tokyo Ghoul as an anime thus far was nothing more than a rushed mess of an adaptation, season 2 of the original series in particular (having absolutely nonsensical plot developments and character inconsistency compared to the manga); this episode is no different from the previous seasons in terms of rushed content, besides not being as bad as that. Anyway who knows, if you ever touch the source material, you may realize just how much better it is compared to what we are getting from the animated series.

Anyhow, that's up to you. It's your choice whether to remain ignorant to the actual full thing or not, you might as well do just that if you don't want to ruin your enjoyment of the series anyway, as you probably just didn't quite notice how much they screw up thus far. Maybe going for the manga will open your eyes, but yeah, yet again, that's for you to decide.
DanpmssApr 6, 2018 3:38 AM
Apr 6, 2018 11:03 AM

Dec 2013
Danpmss said:
It's your choice whether to remain ignorant to the actual full thing or not, you might as well do just that if you don't want to ruin your enjoyment of the series anyway, as you probably just didn't quite notice how much they screw up thus far. Maybe going for the manga will open your eyes, but yeah, yet again, that's for you to decide.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Whether it's good adaptation or not, it's irrelevant. Most folks only watch anime. And I honestly don't see anything wrong with first episode.
Apr 6, 2018 11:09 AM

Jun 2013
In all my years on MAL, I've learned to take reviews and scores with a grain of salt. I used to scroll down to the reviews and if 2/3 of them were negative, I wouldn't watch it. Boy, was it a terrible habit. I missed quite a lot of gems this way.
Apr 6, 2018 2:23 PM
Jan 2017
IZEROII said:
MonkeyDJasper said:

> Barely uses MAL
You don't need to use something to think it's flawed. Also that isn't a rage comment, if anything it's just an excuse, and anyway, you should judge arguments by their quality, not by unrelated or barely related things that were not even directly brought up.
Apr 7, 2018 2:11 AM
Nov 2016
you better use MAL just for looking up information about an anime and ignore the forum completely.

I recommend you watching clips on youtube and read the comments. much more enjoying than this shit that's going on here. they already teared the anime apart after watching the trailer like wtf cmonBruh
and there are always the manga elitists around, nothing you can do about it.
Apr 7, 2018 2:14 AM

Sep 2011
Then avoid the forums? If you're aware MAL is a joke, why bother caring it? I believe almost everyone here is already aware that MAL is getting more and more cancerous. It's either ignore them or completely avoid the forums.

Apr 7, 2018 5:44 AM

Jan 2018
If you're giving Megalo Box a 10 after only one episode, why can't we give Tokyo Ghoul:re a 1 after only one episode ?
Apr 7, 2018 6:38 AM
Nov 2014
This show is rated at 8.04 after one episode, that's hardly getting trashed out of the gate...
Apr 7, 2018 6:45 AM

Oct 2015
Since when MAL wasn't a joke?

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 8, 2018 8:50 PM

Mar 2012
MonkeyDJasper said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/880fwt/does_anyone_else_feel_like_reading_mal_reviews_is/
The MAL community IS a joke, for the most part. Read most of the replies in the thread I linked you. The funniest example is of one of the most popular reviewers on here having the highest rated Evangelion review, but having his review filled with complete ignorance of psychology and character writing. Don't trust MAL reviews, and especially not forums most of the time.
Apr 10, 2018 11:58 AM
Sep 2016
ZSTGL_IMA said:
MonkeyDJasper said:

MAL scores, reviews, community all are absurd...
I would recommend you to not care about anything, and just keep enjoying shows you like.

Well u should already know mal community is trash.
MAL ratings has zero value.
You should not Care about people's ratings.
For eg-most of mal community calls sword art online trash and rates it 1. But that doesnot make it trash.
As u can see new seasons of sword art online keeps coming up.
So just ignore it, there r some good animes even though they are rated below 7 in MAL.
Most of the MAL community compromises of fat ugly losers in real life who gets jealous of the mc's harem because they don't have a girl in real life and rate it low and all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

95 by F0xFae »»
Mar 30, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2018

194 by F0xFae »»
Mar 29, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

416 by F0xFae »»
Mar 29, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

172 by CaravanRiot »»
Mar 16, 9:41 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul: re 1st season is underrated

Ryuu_Mayo - Feb 3

12 by KayKimii »»
Feb 3, 1:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.