Forum Settings
Forums

HTTP 500 Internal Server Error when trying to upload forum avatar

New
Apr 2, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 2018
Hi! When I try to upload an avatar picture (under my profile -> Edit Profile - Forum tab -> Upload an Avatar), I get the below error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@myanimelist.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I have also written to the administrator as the error message says. I figure I also want to post it here. Is this a common occurrence?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 3, 2018 1:28 AM

Oct 2014
yes, it's common but it varies for people. Try disabling all your third party extensions and do a hard refresh on mal and try again.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Apr 4, 2018 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
SpectrumDT said:
Hi! When I try to upload an avatar picture (under my profile -> Edit Profile - Forum tab -> Upload an Avatar), I get the below error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@myanimelist.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I have also written to the administrator as the error message says. I figure I also want to post it here. Is this a common occurrence?

I was an idiot and I got this message after missing some obvious regulations.

Your avatar must:
  • be no larger than 100x125
  • be no larger than 51kb
Even if your avatar meets these conditions it will occasionally screw up. In this case, just try to upload it again and see if it works.

Hope this helps.
Apr 4, 2018 5:05 PM

Aug 2015
Heya, I had a similar issue. Using an image editing software to change the file type to another supported format fixed it for me.
Apr 5, 2018 12:33 PM

Mar 2018
Thanks for the replies. I have tried some things, so far with no luck. Maybe I will try on another operating system...
Apr 5, 2018 3:22 PM

Apr 2018
Iizbakaokay said:
yes, it's common but it varies for people. Try disabling all your third party extensions and do a hard refresh on mal and try again.
how do I get rid of third party extensions and how do I identify them?
Apr 6, 2018 3:08 AM

Oct 2014
Sanaunnie said:
Iizbakaokay said:
how do I get rid of third party extensions and how do I identify them?
in chrome, it's there in more tools-> extensions. No idea for firefox, just do a google search and check it up. What I meant was try to disable all apps like adblocker and scripts and try again.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Apr 6, 2018 12:12 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
SpectrumDT said:
Thanks for the replies. I have tried some things, so far with no luck. Maybe I will try on another operating system...

Did you try what Coffee- said? Opening the image with an image editor and re-saving it (doesn't even need to be another file extension, just re-saving it is enough) and using the new image should fix the problem.
Apr 6, 2018 1:03 PM

Mar 2018
Luna said:
SpectrumDT said:

Did you try what Coffee- said? Opening the image with an image editor and re-saving it (doesn't even need to be another file extension, just re-saving it is enough) and using the new image should fix the problem.

Yeah, I tried re-saving my image as PNG instead of JPG. That didn't help. Thanks, though.

I have tried in Chrome and Firefox under Linux. I have not tried under Windows yet.
May 8, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2014
i got this problem also

May 9, 2019 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
@Senpaicon
@SpectrumDT
May 9, 2019 8:28 AM

Mar 2018
changelog said:
@Senpaicon
@SpectrumDT

Thanks! Sorry for not posting earlier. I was able to fix it by doing it in Windows instead of Linux.
May 15, 2019 9:48 PM

Jul 2009
I've been encountering this problem recently. Changing the file type or removing the avatar doesn't work since doing them gives me the same error. I've ensured the avatar fits the size limit.

The avatar will eventually get uploaded if I keep trying, but it can take up to more than 20 attempts.
May 16, 2019 12:50 AM

Sep 2012
Skittles said:
The avatar will eventually get uploaded if I keep trying, but it can take up to more than 20 attempts.

That is the only valid solution sadly. Brute forcing the avatar. It's not about the quality of the format.
May 19, 2019 6:25 PM

Apr 2019
Well, as a new user, this error had been happening to me for the last week and it felt frustrating. I tried resaving the image on GIMP on different formats but nothing worked. Its size and dimensions were correct. I disabled all extensions to try to make it work, though nothing happened

As I was writing this, I noticed that the image was finally uploaded - I had to brute force it, as Skittles suggested, reuploading it about 5 times before it managed to work.

If this is happening to your account and the file is in the right conditions, it should eventually work: keep trying until it does.
May 21, 2019 8:48 PM
Feb 2019
any more advice? mine still wont work after i did everything u guys mentioned

thanks

this is my first avatar btw
May 27, 2019 10:38 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread locked.
This is a duplicate thread of a similar bug we had in the past. The current forum avatar uploading problem seems to be a bit different. Here is the thread about the current problem:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1778778
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3363 by oh »»
4 hours ago

» Reinstall the MAL app

ilias23 - Apr 15

2 by ilias23 »»
Yesterday, 11:11 PM

» Question about parental consent

AverageRiceFan - Yesterday

0 by AverageRiceFan »»
Yesterday, 8:44 PM

» Any way to disable the new chapter rating feature?

Need4Power - Aug 28, 2022

2 by Sleeping_Wendigo »»
Yesterday, 8:04 PM

» 2FA QR Code Not Generating

ZenFlux - Yesterday

0 by ZenFlux »»
Yesterday, 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.