3It was OK
17.3%
2Disliked it
0.9%
1Hated it
0.9%
Average 4.2
110 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2007 5:10 PM

Jan 2007
It was a meh episode. Nothing exciting but i did like the part where Balsa talked to that guy at the food place. That was kinda funny. I want to see more episodes like episode 3. Hopefully we get to see some next episode.
May 26, 2007 7:27 PM

May 2007
I sort of felt the same way as Faust721. Meh... but yes, Balsa talking to that guy and how he boasted about fighting to a draw against her. That was sort of funny.

As for Tanda... Balsa and Chagum are in good hands... but something keeps making me think, "for how long?" Of course, the lasting image I'll forever have of this episode is the Star Diviner tearing up like One Piece characters when they talk about dreams and nakama and then going... "ZOMG... the Water Fiend lives!"
mild_evenMay 26, 2007 7:43 PM
May 27, 2007 1:37 PM

Oct 2006
yeah.. nothing outstanding. I'm a bit disapointed.. has I expected more development on Chagum's part, judging from the episode title.
Still it wasn't bad. I don't want this show running on mindless action so I won't mind a few episodes like this. But I do want for those to have more character development on them.
I'm pretty sure there will be more "episodes 3" within the anime.

mild_even said:
Balsa talking to that guy and how he boasted about fighting to a draw against her.
yeah that scene was nice. though I was kinda wierd to see her walking around town carrying her spear. I guess since everyone believes she's dead it's ok... but you can never be too careful ^^

I'm betting the next episode won't have any action too, but judging from the preview there will be some tension scenes. Looking foward to it
(PS: please don't take so long again Ani-Kraze.... ^^ )
May 27, 2007 5:01 PM

Jan 2007
episode was meh at best. i cant belive they bought a house, i hope they keep on traveling, not staying in one place all the time.
May 27, 2007 9:06 PM

Apr 2007
I liked this episode. The big guy boasting about how he fought Balsa and Chagum's naivety had me laughing. Things are moving at a slower pace but I don't mind. I find the story and characters to be very interesting which keeps me watching.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 28, 2007 12:53 AM

May 2007
Kayrhandros said:
yeah.. nothing outstanding. I'm a bit disapointed.. has I expected more development on Chagum's part, judging from the episode title.
Still it wasn't bad. I don't want this show running on mindless action so I won't mind a few episodes like this. But I do want for those to have more character development on them.
I'm pretty sure there will be more "episodes 3" within the anime.

mild_even said:
Balsa talking to that guy and how he boasted about fighting to a draw against her.
yeah that scene was nice. though I was kinda wierd to see her walking around town carrying her spear. I guess since everyone believes she's dead it's ok... but you can never be too careful ^^

I'm betting the next episode won't have any action too, but judging from the preview there will be some tension scenes. Looking foward to it
(PS: please don't take so long again Ani-Kraze.... ^^ )

I thought the same thing... Balsa the Spearwielder... she's carrying a spear... she's a woman... If I remember correctly 1+1=2 to most people.
May 28, 2007 3:56 AM

Apr 2007
i find it funny that the prince is worried about money when his life is still not secure.
May 29, 2007 8:47 PM

Apr 2007
MasterChief said:
i find it funny that the prince is worried about money when his life is still not secure.

Means he's a kind hearted person.
He's worrying more about others when its he himself who he should feel a bit worried for.
Decent episode, liked the Chagum development. But the preview made the episode worth it.. looks like we got some nice action brewing soon :D
May 29, 2007 8:54 PM

May 2007
MistaNight said:
MasterChief said:

He's worrying more about others when its he himself who he should feel a bit worried for.
Decent episode, liked the Chagum development. But the preview made the episode worth it.. looks like we got some nice action brewing soon :D

NOPE! Regardless, it's a real good episode.
May 30, 2007 10:04 PM

Apr 2007
mild_even said:
MistaNight said:
MasterChief said:

Right.. thanks for elaborating.
Sure, he's a prince and hasn't been exposed to the world very much thus far, which is why he is inexperienced with how things work below royalty.. but he seemed to have been worried about how he's bothering Balsa thus did not want to further impose. I see that as an act of kindness, I do not see how you can see differently.
Feel free to elaborate more then just shutting down someone else's observations with a single word.
May 31, 2007 6:30 PM

May 2007
MistaNight said:
mild_even said:
MistaNight said:
MasterChief said:

Right.. thanks for elaborating.
Sure, he's a prince and hasn't been exposed to the world very much thus far, which is why he is inexperienced with how things work below royalty.. but he seemed to have been worried about how he's bothering Balsa thus did not want to further impose. I see that as an act of kindness, I do not see how you can see differently.
Feel free to elaborate more then just shutting down someone else's observations with a single word.

Also, I totally agree with your observations.
mild_evenMay 31, 2007 6:45 PM
Jun 1, 2007 10:52 PM

Apr 2007
Oh, okay. :) The lack of details made me to believe the opposite, sorry.
Jul 5, 2008 6:09 PM

Feb 2008
Balsa's got guts, lol. Yeah, it's kinda goofy that she's carrying her spear, but people do believe she's dead, and I'm a little surprised people are saying there was no char development in this episode. There was plenty with the boy. He's learning about the world outside the palace, etc. When he learned about money and was sad, I was just thinking, "Wait til you learn about mortgage rates," lol. I like that they don't spell everything out though. When he asks about when a bodyguard's job is done or when Tanda started selling medicine, it's clear he's thinking about how he's a burden to Balsa, which leads up to the end. Yeah, this episode is mostly dialogue, but it's all meaningful to the story, no excess or useless conversation. And the beans in the beginning, that was cute. Tanda: we're a family, Balsa: no, we're not *chomps beans*. I say they get rid of the useless diviner. (I'm glad he's not the hero of the series. <.<)
Jul 23, 2008 1:46 AM

Jun 2008
I like the episode. It was quiet and slowly but very nice and sometimes funny. They don't have to always fighting. I was impressed by waterfall with monuments of emperors.
Jan 8, 2009 3:44 AM

Jul 2008
And they become one big happy family that no longer needs to worry . . .
Mar 29, 2009 3:47 PM

Aug 2008
I find it hard to believe that she has the guts to carry her spear around town. It's a good thing that no one suspects her about it.

It looks like the "happy" moments will be cut off short.

I am also wondering about the "egg" of the water demon. I'm pretty sure that this will be tackled on the succeeding episodes.

Dec 15, 2009 2:52 PM

May 2009
omerby said:
ii cant belive they bought a house, i hope they keep on traveling, not staying in one place all the time.
Same here. It would be a lot more interesting if they were on the run. I hope they get found out.
Aug 2, 2010 4:00 AM

Jun 2009
How Balsa test her theory whether her popularity has reaches other city with the fat guy
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 20, 2010 11:59 AM

Sep 2008
Somehow expected more Chagum development... but I'm satisfied with what we got. I always worry about money too, haha.

Can't have all episodes be intense, I suppose, but like everyone else I liked the scene where Balsa asks that guy about herself and he boasts of fighting her... Heh. And eh, where's Torogai headed? (Did I just forget, if it was previously mentioned...?)

I was hoping that Balsa would keep up with her bodyguard jobs, and that maybe Chagum would assist her... Guess not? Since she's saved those 8 lives... sort of. Chagum's isn't guaranteed yet since - dun dun dunnn - the Drought Sign hasn't disappeared! So everything will take a turn for the worse and they won't just think that they're mistaken (I mean, they won't think "Oh, the sign's still there so it must not have been Chagum's fault, and we were chasing and trying to kill him for no reason!") and will instead resume the chase?

I'll watch and seeee~
Aug 28, 2010 9:58 PM

May 2010
This child is likeable.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 31, 2010 8:26 AM

May 2008
One of the things I love about this series is the fact that Chagum is NOT a whiny little princely emo brat that you would expect from a character in his situation. He hardly complains, he's open minded about his situation, and is genuinely appreciative of what lengths Balsa and the others are going through to keep him alive.

On a related note, how weird must it be to watch your own funeral procession? Let alone one where the procession is a mile long with hundreds or thousands of pallbearers marching in unison with the townsfolk bowing in respect? If I were Chagum, I do believe I would have to smother a couple giggles. "Hee hee. They think I'm dead...whoa..."
KhakiBlueSocksDec 31, 2010 9:54 AM
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Mar 14, 2011 10:57 AM

Apr 2009
I like this episode's pace, it was slow after that action filled past episodes but even so things are still moving in the world. As I feared and suspected the Drought Sign did not disappear. Foolish, short-sighted mortals, the stars speaks the truth and cannot be deceived so easily. Bwahahaha!

KhakiBlueSocks said:
One of the things I love about this series is the fact that Chagum is NOT a whiny little princely emo brat that you would expect from a character in his situation. He hardly complains, he's open minded about his situation, and is genuinely appreciative of what lengths Balsa and the others are going through to keep him alive.

Yeah I thank the stars for that too! :)
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 15, 2012 7:38 PM

Aug 2008
Oh, I liked this episode quite a lot. There is Chagum's development, which was pretty well done, now I like him even more.

And with this, I get more the feeling of the calm before storm :)

Ahhh~ things like star diviner shouldn't exist... what a problem....

OH YEAH, the statue thing, I don't think it's plausible, but if the statue of chagum was to be exposed to the citizen, then people might actually discover him! o-o But yeah...I don't think this would happen...
Mar 6, 2012 12:57 PM

Aug 2010
Confucius said:
This child is likeable.

This. It's amazing how this show didn't go for the "spoiled brat prince" stereotype like most shows.

That scene where he thanked both Balsa and Tanda was a good showing of his character
May 11, 2012 2:06 AM

Mar 2008
<_< it was soooo boring.. Not bad, but just plain boring and super slow-paced (even more than Aria somehow).
I might drop it if it continues like this... but I love the visuals and I usually really like Adventure/Fantasy anime... urgh, I'm kinda disappointed to be honest
Jun 28, 2013 11:49 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I thought this was a great episode. Something like the calm before the storm. This isn't even tagged under the action genre, not sure what people were expecting. It definitely seemed to be adventure from the first episode. I enjoyed seeing how Chagum felt like he was a burden, and then showed his gratitude to Balsa and Tanda. What a kindhearted kid. I love how they just laughed and told him not to worry.

Another fun part of the episode was when that one guy was talking to Balsa about...Balsa. Tanda and Chagum were pretty dumbfounded XD But yeah, I had a feeling that the Shuga would find out that Chagum is still alive. Them star readers. Can't fool them.
Dec 24, 2013 8:16 PM

Nov 2013
So, an episode contains no action and people label it boring.

We got an entertaining conversation between Balsa and the hunter, character development for Chagrum, and we even learned a bit about Jiguro, who I presume is Balsa's teacher. Just relax and enjoy the characters' interactions and the world building.
Feb 13, 2014 4:05 PM

Nov 2009
When Toragai looked across the mountain range I half expected her to just start leaping from mountain top to mountain top in just the most troll way possible. Anyways, definitely will admit I prefer the faster pace of the last 6 episodes however still enjoyed this episode. Hopefully though it still retains the central plot instead of having a shit ton of filler with Balsa doing odd jobs for money.
Jan 13, 2015 11:26 PM

Jan 2013
Calm episode after the last one. They've moved into a nice place to stay
Feb 16, 2015 5:02 PM

Dec 2013
People hating on the episode.. it was very good imo. Some development for Chagum. + beautiful sceneries as usual.
Mar 16, 2015 12:10 AM

Nov 2013
This was a fairly relaxed episode after that intense last episode. I thought this episode was pretty boring for the most part.

I found the scene where Balsa was talking to that hunter about herself to be quite amusing. She would make a good Kira.

We get to see Chagum learn more about society and its inner workings so there's that.

Looks like stuff is going to pick back up again now that Shuga has realized that the signs of the Great Drought have not disappeared.

Probably the weakest episode so far but it was still decent.

7/10 I hope the pace picks up again because I could see these slice of life episodes getting pretty stale.
FunnyRatmanMar 16, 2015 12:15 AM

Apr 29, 2015 10:24 AM

Nov 2010
Oh Chagum-baby cmere and let me hold you ;-;
Sep 24, 2015 12:07 AM

Mar 2012
Hazuk4shii said:
People hating on the episode.. it was very good imo. Some development for Chagum. + beautiful sceneries as usual.

Agreed.
Jan 10, 2016 4:15 AM
Jul 2015
I'm liking this anime more and more.

The fact that the Prince is a likeable character and not an arrogant/selfish/whiny little brat is definitely a huge plus.
hi
Jan 21, 2016 11:42 PM

Jul 2011
Faust721 said:
It was a meh episode. Nothing exciting but i did like the part where Balsa talked to that guy at the food place. That was kinda funny. I want to see more episodes like episode 3. Hopefully we get to see some next episode.

Unfortunately, there are no more episode 3s. Seirei no Moribito is more about character development than the action, so the first couple episodes are a little misleading about what's in store.

Saying that, Chagum, why you so adorable. :O
Apr 12, 2016 7:45 PM
Mar 2016
I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what was hanging in the doorway of the house Balsa paid the rent in? I can't tell if it is something that comes from our world or if it is something unique to the show. The way Chagum looked at it made me feel as though it had some significance but I don't recognize it from anywhere else.
Oct 20, 2016 2:12 PM
Aug 2012
Have no clue why every episode of this show gradually fills my heart with warm and kind feelings.. Background music here is like a healing for bad mood. Chagum acts like a kid and adult at the same time- he couldn't be mre astonishing as a character
May 5, 2017 6:11 AM

Oct 2012
Poor guy
He didn't know that he's talking to the great Balsa-sama, the best part is he never will
I can imagine Balsa's inner laugh when he's bragging xD

You can say it's calm before the storm episode
"Signature removed"
Nov 20, 2017 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
They noticed the drought sign hasn't disappeared, that should arouse some sort of suspicion about Chagum's whereabouts.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 24, 2018 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
For a child with parents, the reality that everything needs money comes slowly and naturally, but for someone like Chagum, that feels indebted to someone that "has no reason" to look after him, that was affected with a simple commentary of how Balsa's work was already "done", it was hard no doubt, I'm glad she made him feel at ease, the author is really good with this kind of scene, I loved it, and their little mill-house is really charming. That scene with that random guy that talked about Balsa as if she were his old rival was really funny too! And Shuga and Chagum's older brother were really suffering for him, but now Shuga realized that the Drought Sign hasn't disappeared, so they aren't as safe as I thought.
Jan 3, 2019 12:12 AM

May 2016
Balsa could spend the money she had received with herself, but decided to help Chagum. I admire this character more and more, she's is pretty too! :D
Aug 19, 2019 7:44 AM

May 2015
I want to live in watermill too. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 18, 2019 12:42 PM

Oct 2016
I'm not buying the whole "not a single person noticed Balsa because everyone was too distracted" thing.
Pretty stupid reasoning.

Feb 1, 2020 6:31 PM

Mar 2016
I thought Chagum was going to ask Tanda to take him as his apprentice, so he can start making money as fast as he can.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Dec 30, 2020 7:45 PM

Apr 2020
Nice chill episode can't complain.
:)
Jan 20, 2021 6:42 AM

Jul 2017
I've seen some mixed opinions on here about this episode over the years from looks of things, but I felt like this was genuinely one of the best episodes about the series so far, with a ton of things happening in subtle fashion rather than the claim that not much happened here since it was an action-less episode, and changing its direction a bit now.

Seeing Chagum sort of explore and understand the real world after being treated really nicely as a prince without much hardships in terms of earning for food/shelter/survival and having everything served on a silver platter, is pretty great for his character development as a whole in the long run. He was never a spoiled brat from the way he acts, but he was a bit blind to the real world and how Balsa and Tanda have had to earn their way through survival, and as a kid even wanted to pay off his gratitude towards them and try on his own due to how money rules the world, and that he doesn't want to burden Balsa and Tanda with him being there.

What made this whole ordeal even more personal and heartfelt is Balsa's response, when he was worried about being a burden to her, where she talks about how he can stay with her as long as he likes, and how there are lots of people who would take him in, even if they weren't paid for that. Balsa may not be a mother, but it's like Chagum's mother has passed the torch to her in terms of that responsibility and she doesn't mind that whatsoever, wanting to take care of him now even if all the money that she earned from taking the mission has gone. She's bound to the mission of protecting the prince, but even without much money left, still willing to care for him, provide for him till he's older and make him truly feel at home with her and Tanda. That parent-son like bond is really special right there.

The world building is pleasant too, and I just love the change of pace as the show tries to take some time to focus on Chagum adapting to a new environment too and observing how the world works and how the commoners live, being a part of that too rather than isolated as a prince due to his status. Feels relaxing, informative and has characters grow nicely.
Apr 7, 2022 3:15 AM

Jul 2016
well isn't this quite a domestic episode
Jun 14, 2022 2:54 PM

Sep 2014
Wow that was boring af. It even has the generic pseudo intellectual staring into the distant scene. So close to dropping this. Has my attention span deteriorated so much? I will give this one more chance since next ep seems to be interesting (atleast it has nearly double the comments on this forum which is always a good sign)
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 5, 2023 4:35 PM
Oct 2021

This arc is rather intriguing. Similar to something I know I hate but rather far better in my opinion. Maybe expectations shouldn't be in order because I'm super hyped.
Sep 22, 2023 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
Aww that was cute, Balsa and Tanda are fun together :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 1, 2007

54 by Safrichh »»
Mar 2, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 15 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 24, 2007

46 by WIIXAnd »»
Feb 26, 2:35 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 12 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jun 30, 2007

45 by Safrichh »»
Feb 12, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mild_even - Jun 18, 2007

55 by Safrichh »»
Jan 6, 7:54 PM

» Why does balsa leave for kambal in the end (her hometown)

Kitsune_089 - Dec 13, 2023

9 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 5, 10:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.