Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mar 31, 2018 1:39 AM

The blu ray for Owarimonogatari Volume 3 (known here as second season) is available for pre-order, releasing on June 26. Go’n and getcha some:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Owarimonogatari-Volume-3-Blu-ray

Apr 1, 2018 8:33 PM

I would, but now I realize I need to catch up with the ten adaptations that came before it by adding those to my shelf first. Unfortunately Aniplex is too expensive for me to even do that, so I'm really shit outta luck until I get money.

Somebody help.

Apr 10, 2018 1:19 PM

Draconix814 said:
I would, but now I realize I need to catch up with the ten adaptations that came before it by adding those to my shelf first. Unfortunately Aniplex is too expensive for me to even do that, so I'm really shit outta luck until I get money.

Somebody help.

I’m seeing you everywhere lately Draconix, but sorry I can’t help you lol.

Yeah, Owari vol 3 will be the 17th monogatari blu ray release in America, I’m glad I’ve kept up with them as they’ve been released since it would be quite daunting to start buying a series with so many volumes and such a high price tag. I’m only dedicated to buying them until final season is completed with zoku, off season will have to be really good for me to continue and I am expecting it won’t be.

Tbh I expect the series to stop being adapted before they reach the end of monster season anyway, but only time will tell.

Apr 10, 2018 3:50 PM

GoldNautilus said:
Draconix814 said:

Somebody help.

Yeah, Owari vol 3 will be the 17th monogatari blu ray release in America, I’m glad I’ve kept up with them as they’ve been released since it would be quite daunting to start buying a series with so many volumes and such a high price tag. I’m only dedicated to buying them until final season is completed with zoku, off season will have to be really good for me to continue and I am expecting it won’t be.

Tbh I expect the series to stop being adapted before they reach the end of monster season anyway, but only time will tell.

Maybe they might slow down the adaptations, but Monogatari is too much of a cash cow (I say this lovingly) to stop getting adapted (also Shaft did say they were adapting everything). I say that they're probably going to continue, but Shaft will also adapt other NisiOisiN stuff to advertise it and make sure it's drawing in new fans. Also, while I don't know about the rest of the Off Season, if there's anything you should probably look out for when the time comes is probably Musubimonogatari, which is the furthest chronological end of the series when they're all adults and stuff. The rest of the Off Season is a lot of side stories (though they look really interesting, like Tsubasa Sleeping for instance) which either fills in time/ plot holes or wraps up character arcs like Nadeko's and Sodachi's.

Eh, I just hope Aniplex does a complete collection, at least with the seasons (like Monogatari First Season, Second Season, etc.). But yeah, for both situations, only time will tell.

Apr 10, 2018 4:50 PM

Draconix814 said:
GoldNautilus said:

Maybe they might slow down the adaptations, but Monogatari is too much of a cash cow (I say this lovingly) to stop getting adapted (also Shaft did say they were adapting everything). I say that they're probably going to continue, but Shaft will also adapt other NisiOisiN stuff to advertise it and make sure it's drawing in new fans. Also, while I don't know about the rest of the Off Season, if there's anything you should probably look out for when the time comes is probably Musubimonogatari, which is the furthest chronological end of the series when they're all adults and stuff. The rest of the Off Season is a lot of side stories (though they look really interesting, like Tsubasa Sleeping for instance) which either fills in time/ plot holes or wraps up character arcs like Nadeko's and Sodachi's.

Eh, I just hope Aniplex does a complete collection, at least with the seasons (like Monogatari First Season, Second Season, etc.). But yeah, for both situations, only time will tell.

People always quote that line that shaft’s president said about the whole series being adapted, but they don’t consider the fact that he said that when Zokuowarimonogatari was planned to be the last one. The first week BD sales of Owarimonogatari 2nd Season are 15-20% of what Bake sold, and they will continue to fall. I’m aware that BD sales are not the only factor, but I’m sure that merchandise has seen similar drops. Anime adaptations are made to do 3 things: sell discs, sell merchandise, and advertise the source material. As I’ve said, merch and BD sales will continue to shrink, and at this point the anime will not improve LN sales (which I also expect to shrink eventually) in any significant way. We have also seen the production values decrease as sales decrease, and vice versa. All of this compounds with the fact that the series is going to start adapting episodic side stories, something which personally turns me off as I’m sure it will to many others, so it’s possible that there will be a sharp drop in sales due to this.

It isn’t a question of if this will happen, but when, and my bet is that they won’t make it to the end of monster season. Of course, this is all just my worthless speculation.

I have no idea if they will ever rerelease monogatari box sets, especially since they’ve done represses of Bake (despite it being billed as a limited edition which is some marketing BS,) but it would be cool. I guess it’s all about how long you’re willing to wait.

Apr 10, 2018 9:50 PM

GoldNautilus said:
Draconix814 said:

People always quote that line that shaft’s president said about the whole series being adapted, but they don’t consider the fact that he said that when Zokuowarimonogatari was planned to be the last one. The first week BD sales of Owarimonogatari 2nd Season are 15-20% of what Bake sold, and they will continue to fall. I’m aware that BD sales are not the only factor, but I’m sure that merchandise has seen similar drops. Anime adaptations are made to do 3 things: sell discs, sell merchandise, and advertise the source material. As I’ve said, merch and BD sales will continue to shrink, and at this point the anime will not improve LN sales (which I also expect to shrink eventually) in any significant way. We have also seen the production values decrease as sales decrease, and vice versa. All of this compounds with the fact that the series is going to start adapting episodic side stories, something which personally turns me off as I’m sure it will to many others, so it’s possible that there will be a sharp drop in sales due to this.

It isn’t a question of if this will happen, but when, and my bet is that they won’t make it to the end of monster season. Of course, this is all just my worthless speculation.

I have no idea if they will ever rerelease monogatari box sets, especially since they’ve done represses of Bake (despite it being billed as a limited edition which is some marketing BS,) but it would be cool. I guess it’s all about how long you’re willing to wait.

While the Off-Season novels are divided into chapters like Bake and Owari, they are arcs like the rest of them and would take a few episodes to adapt each. Then there's also Nadeko Draw which is a full-length novel and completes the development for Nadeko. And I think that they will at the very least adapt up to Musubimonogatari, because that is the end of the series. Maybe they'll then wait a few years when the Monster Season is over and finish up the rest, and the Monster Season has at least two arcs per 300-400 paged book, which would go over well with fans to get adapted. And even though the BD sales are 15% of what Bake sold, it is still miles above most of the anime that are getting more adaptations at least in total sales (though it isn't in total gross, that's because they have been adapting less and there are fewer episodes which are less price etc.). All in all, I do see your point, but I still think that Shaft will see the series through to end. Like I said before, I think that they will adapt more/different NisiOisiN novels to attract attention back to Monogatari too. Like the Boukyaku Tantei Series, for instance, which started publication after Zoku Owarimonogatari was released (perfect timing), would be the perfect thing to keep fans of Monogatari invested and bring in new fans along with it. Not to mention the cross-pollination already happening with other adaptations of Nisio's works especially recently with Zaregoto getting an OVA adaptation by Shaft and Juuni Taisen in Fall followed by a second season probably next fall. I don't think Nisio has ever been this popular a name in Japan!

Also look at how similar series like Gintama are fairing, as none of the recent seasons are making much at all despite Gintama being the most popular its ever been, especially compared to Monogatari. That said, Gintama is getting a complete adaptation and are getting seasons left and right, despite how long we have to wait for them or how pointless some of them were! (I'm looking at you, Porori-hen) Hey, all I'm saying is that Monogatari might be fading with time, but it doesn't have it nearly as bad as some other series. Bake is still the highest selling anime of all time, Owari S2 makes more than One Punch Man and Hibike Euphonium, and there's still a truckload of merchandising the franchise has to sustain itself.

But yeah, I suppose we won't really know until they do/ confirm it, but I'm still willing to bet, maybe with longer intervals in between, that they will adapt the rest of Monogatari. But hey, even if they don't, at least Vertical will license it and I'll just read the unadapted material for myself.

Yeah, Aniplex is cheap like that and they probably would take them forever to even come up with such a thing :/ Too bad it couldn't have been licensed by FUNimation or Sentai Filmworks. At least that way the prices would be affordable after a certain amount of time.