Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 8, 2018 10:28 AM

Oct 2012
Not a bad start though I do hope all the psychology stuff gets shoved aside, I've seen too many anime try to go that route and it usually isn't a good thing. Like many I'm not quite sure where the show is going but that's okay for now since it's only the first episode. Hopefully the direction becomes more clear after a couple episodes.
Apr 8, 2018 10:31 AM

Dec 2017
Maybe I'm just a Psychology nerd, but I'm loving this so far. It's somewhat of a generic pretense in my opinion, but with some interesting flavors mixed in. I'm going to stick with this one for 3 episodes as usual but I have faith in this show. Hopefully it doesn't prove me wrong.

Also the songs are absolutely solid.
Apr 8, 2018 10:35 AM

Sep 2017
I had great expectations for this show and I have to say it did not let me down. The most unique first episode of this season for me, and I loved it. Visually, it's amazing, and though the characters can seem rather bland still, I'm hoping that changes soon.
Apr 8, 2018 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
Ughh... this first episode reminds me of Occultic;Nine and that is not really a good thing...

Too many characters + 1-cour run length + heavy focus on the plot rather than the characters = possible clusterfuck.

Hey, but at least this might prove to be fun and unique in its own way, even if it ends up being a train-wreck.

The character designs and art/animation is also decent.

Looking forward to see where this is headed, but the possibility of me dropping this show somewhere down the line is not out of question.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Apr 8, 2018 10:37 AM

Sep 2015
I have no clue what is going on and I want to watch the next episode.
So far it looks to be rather promising but it could turn out to be shit after a few more episode.
Apr 8, 2018 10:38 AM

Nov 2015
Missing Genres.......
1) Mystery.
2) school.
3) super power.
4) Physiological
Apr 8, 2018 10:40 AM

Mar 2012
HapHazrD said:
Haven't watched the episode, but I can definitely see where you come from. I mean, remove the title and the preview looks like something straight out of a persona game: the outfits, the weapons, the visual effects... Funny thing is, it doesn't look bad at all from first impressions. Might even be better than Persona 5 this season, which would be quite ironic.

Well, the game that this anime is based off of WAS published by Atlus, and it's a dungeon crawling JRPG like Persona. So the publisher of the game and the genre it pretty much tells you it'll be very similar at least lol.
Apr 8, 2018 10:57 AM

May 2010
Was kinda boring, seems like it could develop well but I doubt it.
Apr 8, 2018 11:05 AM

Mar 2012
Zarkraz said:

The writing in the game is absolutely phenomenal, as was the overall plot. Just depends on how well it gets adapted here. The game was only around 20 hrs long as with lots of Atlus JRPGs, so it could be paced out fine here.
Apr 8, 2018 11:09 AM

May 2010
SparkleDuck said:
Zarkraz said:

The writing in the game is absolutely phenomenal, as was the overall plot. Just depends on how well it gets adapted here. The game was only around 20 hrs long as with lots of Atlus JRPGs, so it could be paced out fine here.
Well yeah, that's the thing. Game may be good but the adapted anime usually go to shit.
Apr 8, 2018 11:23 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A world without anxiety huh an interesting wish. Comparing one's personality to a window sure is unique. Things sure got weird quickly. Hmm so everything that happened to him was a dream or at least another reality huh. The live performance by Mu mixed with the reveal of the enemies sure was good though. An intriguing first episode that sure threw a lot of concepts at us. Kinda reminds me of the Atlus's renowned persona series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2018 11:25 AM

Mar 2016
Dafuq did I just watched? I'm confused, but maybe it's because it's still early. Yeah, thats why. I'll re-watch this thing later.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 8, 2018 11:27 AM

Mar 2010
Looks like my initial gut reaction to the description was right.

Angel Beats in the CHaoS;HEAd Matrix. XD

If you don't like psychology/psychiatry, I'd suggest you run away from this since even the name of the series is a psychological term/reference.

Just with possibly less death and more depression involved. From just this one episode, I'm pretty sure that at least all of the non-zombied characters were severely depressed/suicidal in real life (hence all the pill/medicine imagery) before getting sucked into the virtual world by Evil Miku.
Apr 8, 2018 11:36 AM

Feb 2014
definitely got me interested
Apr 8, 2018 11:53 AM
May 2017
'Caligula' story makes me curious. I like it.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 8, 2018 12:22 PM
Jun 2016
Me like.

Looking good so far. I am on the Caligula Express....wondering where it will take me to.
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Apr 8, 2018 12:30 PM

Jan 2012
That was good and unique. Absurdist and realistic as human beings are really programmed to the cycles of life. 10/10
Apr 8, 2018 12:50 PM

Nov 2016
That was such a great beginning! And that ending song is sweeeet!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2018 1:00 PM
Jul 2017
Pretty good first episode. Solid animation and the story so far has been shown very well and in a way that you can understand. It's a bit like Persona 5 but better because it's not a cluster fuck of poor editing and rushed storytelling.

It also helps that the episode was set in one time frame and made scene when going from one scene to the next. Or at least more so then the first episode of Persona 5. Which I think is the single worst episode I have ever seen of any anime ever and I've seen a lot.
Apr 8, 2018 1:43 PM

Jan 2015
SparkleDuck said:
HapHazrD said:
Haven't watched the episode, but I can definitely see where you come from. I mean, remove the title and the preview looks like something straight out of a persona game: the outfits, the weapons, the visual effects... Funny thing is, it doesn't look bad at all from first impressions. Might even be better than Persona 5 this season, which would be quite ironic.

Well, the game that this anime is based off of WAS published by Atlus, and it's a dungeon crawling JRPG like Persona. So the publisher of the game and the genre it pretty much tells you it'll be very similar at least lol.
Well I didn't know that, so bull's eye I guess :p
Was the game published in english ? I liked Persona 3 and the odd Shin Megami Tensei game I got my hands on, so if yes, I'll probably take a look at it.
Apr 8, 2018 1:51 PM

May 2009
I quite liked this lol. It was definitely weird at times, but if it gets explained good... it could be freakin awesome. Lets see and watch more.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 8, 2018 1:55 PM
Jul 2017
At the beginning I was like "Oh great another shitty Idol anime" but by the end i was like "What in tarnation???", Looks promising, let's just hope the plot it doesn't get too convoluted and stupid
Apr 8, 2018 1:58 PM

Mar 2012
HapHazrD said:
SparkleDuck said:

Was the game published in english ? I liked Persona 3 and the odd Shin Megami Tensei game I got my hands on, so if yes, I'll probably take a look at it.

Yeah, it is in English. Look it up, it's pretty good. It has a mixed metascore due to a couple elements being a little grindy, but the plot and combat are actually really, really good.
Apr 8, 2018 2:30 PM

Sep 2015
SparkleDuck said:
HapHazrD said:

Yeah, it is in English. Look it up, it's pretty good. It has a mixed metascore due to a couple elements being a little grindy, but the plot and combat are actually really, really good.

It would be best to wait for the Overdose version for PS4 that will improve the worst of the game.
Apr 8, 2018 2:39 PM

Sep 2015
I am thoroughly confused.

This is the weirdest Angel Beats/ Persona/ High School of the Dead/ Guilty Crown hybrid I've ever seen.

I think the weirdest point was definitely the philosophy because I can't tell if it's forced, preachy, makes sense or is genius. Also I have no clue on how they're going to build on that philosophy in the rest of the narrative. Also WTF JUST HAPPENED

Could get better, could get worse, could stay the same I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.
7/10 so far. I'm being safe, shut up.
Apr 8, 2018 3:00 PM

Jun 2015
This was an odd and confusing first episode. Hopefully things are explained in future episodes. This show can be a hit or miss depending on how the story progresses.
Apr 8, 2018 3:02 PM

Jul 2013
this was so confusing lmao, but in a good way - i like that everything wasn't spoonfed to be in the first episode.

totally agree with the sentiment that if not handled carefully this could quickly spiral into a clusterfuck.

animation is kinda meh, not great but not bad either... but the music is cool. and yeah like others have said this show has the potential to be very steins;gate-esque. i highly doubt it'll reach that height of greatness but i still have high hopes for it overall. ^^;
Apr 8, 2018 3:07 PM

Jul 2009
Well that was fucking weird.

Looking forward to the next ep :d
Apr 8, 2018 3:17 PM

Jan 2008
All I remember from the game was how awful the combat was. So at least glad I don't have to deal with that here.

Felt they dragged the beginning too much though.
Apr 8, 2018 3:43 PM

Jan 2014
This show seems promising.
This anime is about social psychology. If you like this kind of stuff I encourage you to try the video game Persona.

From my interpretation, the anime is trying to illustrate the collective unconscious world (you may read Carl Jung's theory) which the MC has just recently became aware of.

In the show, everyone is being unconsciously manipulated by social figures, such as the "u" idol and the class representative. Basically everyone is biased towards society norms (recall when the MC mentioned to his ramen-lover colleague that being biased can cause myopia).
And then you will probably have those who rebel against society (like the double-colored hair dude with revolver) and the other aware members (MC and some girls ...)

I have high expectations, hoping there will be an intriguing development towards the story and the characters.
Apr 8, 2018 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, I must say I'm very intrigued by this show. Weird? It was for sure but, I can't wait to know what will happen next.
I think it will either be quite good or really bad. It's difficult to have a solid good first impression as the end was pretty weird, but I find that his thoughts and his character are quite intriguing.

Waiting for more :p
Apr 8, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2015
I honestly have no idea what in the hell is going on, in this one... But, I love all of the psychological discussion. And, it's just weird enough to keep me interested, for the moment. Kind of reminds me of Persona 5 The Animation, from a couple of days ago, to boot. Not bad, at any rate.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Apr 8, 2018 4:19 PM

May 2015
Not too shabby for a first episode. It's unique in a way, and hopefully it won't get worse like the majority of adaptations of games do. Although, the music is pretty nice.
ReverberateApr 8, 2018 4:58 PM

Apr 8, 2018 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
That was trippy as hell.
I like it! Definitely gonna continue watching to find out what the hell is going on.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 8, 2018 5:22 PM
Apr 2015
Anyone who's confused just read the synopsis. I admit I had no clue what was going on until I read it.
Apr 8, 2018 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
the animation reminds me of that Cube anime
Apr 8, 2018 5:31 PM

May 2015
Oooh, a psychology nerd! Liking this anime already.

Well Ritsu got one thing right. What the hell is going on? We got ourselves a normal school scenario at first. Next thing you know, it's a whole bunch of crazy horseshit where an idol starts singing and several students start turning into humanoise and attacking sane students. And then we come across a guy with a giant revolver who just blasts them away.

There's no way that I can judge this anime based on the first episode alone, but I am definitely intrigued to continue it to know what the hell is going on. A buzzy mystery, a flamboyant student representative, a virtual idol that summons speakers for music, and some psychogear to fight the humanoise. As long as the idol sings a different song in every episode, I'm cool with all that. Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 8, 2018 5:55 PM

Dec 2016
MistLiigh said:
Zerity said:
wtf just happened, i am so confused.

I don't think you're supposed to know exactly right now, we'll probably get more detail next episode... But as near as I can tell at this point, seems like they're basically in the Matrix, MC is seeing cracks in the Matrix, and now Mr. Creepy Class Rep (and judging by the ED, some friends of his too) is manipulating the Matrix to gain power and take over. MC, braid girl, pit-fighter/giant revolver dude, glasses food critic, "wait you're not my mom" girl, and "hey I'm reading the same book as him again" girl (possibly others I missed) are going to have to use their own power over the Matrix to fight back. And this μ idol girl and "help me" girl are also going to factor in somehow... That's about all I've got so far.

That was a surprisingly good summary of all of the characters, lmao
Apr 8, 2018 5:55 PM

Jul 2016
It was an... "interesting" episode. It has the potential of being great... but it's walking a thin line and easily trip into mediocrity.

I shall be giving this a few episodes.

Apr 8, 2018 6:10 PM

Dec 2014
Draconix814 said:
I am thoroughly confused.

This is the weirdest Angel Beats/ Persona/ High School of the Dead/ Guilty Crown hybrid I've ever seen.

I think the weirdest point was definitely the philosophy because I can't tell if it's forced, preachy, makes sense or is genius. Also I have no clue on how they're going to build on that philosophy in the rest of the narrative. Also WTF JUST HAPPENED

Could get better, could get worse, could stay the same I DON'T FUCKING KNOW.
7/10 so far. I'm being safe, shut up.

This sums up my thoughts exactly, I just don't know what to think of this after the first episode. XD
Apr 8, 2018 6:42 PM

Dec 2016
So another one of the super-smart average boy put into logically solvable puzzles and situation, and everyone is some form of edgelord. Seems enjoyable enough tho lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 8, 2018 7:03 PM
Jan 2017
Let me be honest about this: I have no idea of what's going on. Is µ some AI trying to take over the world Matrix-style or something? And what's up with Shikishima's constant philosophy? The series has interesting characters and good-looking animation but with a premise just shoved on our faces without clarity, it's off to a mediocre start.
Apr 8, 2018 7:10 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
First ep was pretty much what I was hoping it would be like. Now to see how well the rest of the season pans out.
Apr 8, 2018 7:24 PM

Jun 2013
That was wild. Didn't have any idea what to expect going into this one. So when shit hit the graduation ceremony I was like, "All right, this show has officially jumped off the deep end." But that's not necessarily a bad thing; guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

But yeah, definitely feels like Angel Beats and Guilty Crown had a baby.
Apr 8, 2018 7:42 PM

Aug 2017
Game's got insane writing, hope it carries over well. Bring on the socio-psycho-philosophical maelstrom that this descent into madness takes to heart

This show has the potential to include everything I enjoy in anime, from broken characters, a distorted world, plenty of topics to think about, and a polarizing central figure to drive things forward

Good start, a bit heavy but that's a given with the material, next episode should help lay everything out for us
Apr 8, 2018 7:55 PM
Feb 2016
I'm confused, I'm intrigued, I like the art & music, and it's being adapted from a work by the writer of Persona 2.

Promising. Looking forward to more.
Apr 8, 2018 8:05 PM

Jul 2012
Confused as fuck but...

Sawashiro Chiharu.
Takeuchi Shunsuke.
Aoi Shouta.

Good music.
Good visuals.

Okay. I'm in.
Apr 8, 2018 8:06 PM

Jan 2011
w-what in the world did i watch was clearly meant to confuse to hell out of you

All i know about the Caligula game was that it looked like a poor mans persona and liked the shade gray and pink a lot and then i heard next to nothing about it till it got a anime announced ,so no idea on how the story is but i'm sorta interested in seeing where this goes.

this could end up being really bad hopefully it isn't the case
Apr 8, 2018 8:49 PM
Jul 2014
Keiggard said:
the first impression I had was the same, definitely had steins;gate feel. the art work looked really nice too, I look forward to seeing where it goes.
damn you too? I felt steins;gates vibes a bit too.
Apr 8, 2018 8:51 PM
Jul 2014
BlackstarFallen said:
This was an odd and confusing first episode. Hopefully things are explained in future episodes. This show can be a hit or miss depending on how the story progresses.
confusing? The plot's gonna progress. What do you mean hopefully things are explained? This is the first episode, it's not supposed give you the answers right away.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

8 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.