Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 12, 2018 4:19 PM

Nov 2009
rizalp3 said:
Angel Beats + Guilty Crown + SAO Ordinal Scale = Caligula... lol

Don't forget to add in Matrix in as well. Since there's a "administrator" that controls everything (except it's AI in this case... so many Digimon?)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 12, 2018 4:30 PM
Mar 2012
Expected shounen game fights, instead got pyschologist wannabe mc, evil(?) AI idol with nice music, philosophy class, more RAMEN & pollock roe as if last season didn't have enough, some character designs, everything's fishy, & Windows Update happened.
Baitnswitch world
Baitnswitch mom
Every white hair edgy guy
Apr 12, 2018 7:37 PM
Apr 2016
WTF is happening
Ok my bad, I didnt read the summary first.
Apr 13, 2018 6:22 AM

Jan 2016
People forget that Steins;Gate had a pretty confusing start as well...

This show seems to have a lot of potential from the first episode, and I'm liking it more than the Persona 5 Adaptation, so far at least.

Also, Pop Team Epic endcards? What?
ButadonMeitanteiApr 15, 2018 4:55 AM
Apr 13, 2018 9:31 AM
Aug 2014
An anime for teens who like to dabble in entry-level science to act so much smarter than their friends and mansplain constantly. They also relate so hard to being bored everyday and everyone else is dumb and they're woke. They like shows that are stupidly complex (but they're not actually complex, just horribly constructed) and don't explain themselves so they can pat themselves on the back for theorizing about nonsense that means nothing. Absolute trite garbage, 0/5. Instadrop.

IyxonApr 13, 2018 9:35 AM

Apr 13, 2018 11:22 AM

Sep 2015
Iyxon said:
An anime for teens who like to dabble in entry-level science to act so much smarter than their friends and mansplain constantly. They also relate so hard to being bored everyday and everyone else is dumb and they're woke. They like shows that are stupidly complex (but they're not actually complex, just horribly constructed) and don't explain themselves so they can pat themselves on the back for theorizing about nonsense that means nothing. Absolute trite garbage, 0/5. Instadrop.

Considering that I played the game, I can tell you that your comment is even more pretentious than the series.
PD: mansplain lol
Apr 13, 2018 5:33 PM

Feb 2013
It was somewhat interesting, but I feel like it was trying a little too hard to be "smart".
Average-ish start.
Apr 14, 2018 1:35 AM

Jun 2016
Ugh, this show's got to have one of the most unappealing artstyles in Anime I've seen yet. Seriously, what's with the shading? It makes everything look dusty. The psychology elements felt a bit pretentious too.
Story-wise, I am utterly confused what's happening. I was kinda following it, but I got lost at the graduation ceremony.
Apr 14, 2018 2:06 PM
Apr 2016
-Pekay- said:
Ugh, this show's got to have one of the most unappealing artstyles in Anime I've seen yet. Seriously, what's with the shading? It makes everything look dusty. The psychology elements felt a bit pretentious too.
Story-wise, I am utterly confused what's happening. I was kinda following it, but I got lost at the graduation ceremony.

Well, the anime's art setting was done by Oguchi, and you can check out his work in Kantai Collection. Black, grey and white, only. Besides, the opening has already demonstrated how important color is in this series, so consider the art style as a foreshadowing is rather valid.

As for the graduation ceremony, pay attention to the name of the presenter. A person who just graduated came back as an upcoming freshman. A lot can be deduced from that.
Apr 14, 2018 2:19 PM
Apr 2016
5/5.
Originally wanted to find a 6, but since I read the synopsis (I do not know why for this anime spoilers to be omnipresent when a synopsis is provided) so spoilers deduct 1 down.

There are certain details that are made to be so miniscule that only a few can catch, or utterly not translated at all in English subtitles.

The former include the name of the speaker in both the graduation ceremony (I think many missed that), the shadow of the protagonist in the final flames, etc.

The latter includes a very crucial but short dialogue at the very beginning of the episode, at 1:51:
Forward:
こんな世界クズだ
->This world is trash
どこかに消えてしまいたい…
->I want to disappear from this world

Reply:
わかった。もう大丈夫!
->I know. It's all right now!
私に全部任せて
->Just rely on me entirely

I think that will resolve about 50% of the confusions people might have right now.

Apr 15, 2018 7:24 AM
Apr 2017
The first half was so boring I thought I will just close it and never come back. But I'm glad I didn't do it because the second half... Well, I wasn't confused as much as I'm after watching it for a long time. What is really happening? Is what we're seeing and where the main protagonist lives ( or does he? ) reality, game, illusion or something else? I have so many questions and I am thrilled to watch the next episode.
marzusApr 15, 2018 7:32 AM
Apr 15, 2018 6:20 PM

Jun 2017
classroom of the elite was just a poor imitation of pretentiousness, but this actually is pretentious. lol
Apr 15, 2018 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
I saw this at Sakuracon as well, but I totally forgot I did until someone mentioned it just now. It apparently didn't impact me much or stand out in my memory... It's only been two weeks since Sakuracon... Doubt I'll continue if it's that forgettable.
Apr 18, 2018 11:27 AM

Nov 2009
This is made of pure edge, aimed at highschoolers. No thanks.
Apr 20, 2018 12:53 AM

Apr 2015
Definitely feels what everybody calls 'pretentious', or maybe juvenile sensationalist. Doesn't automatically mean bad tho. Was interesting enough for more episodes

I like the visuals personally.
May 5, 2018 11:01 PM

Aug 2017
Man, i like the mystery of this show. I feel immersed on it. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 7, 2019 8:23 PM

Jun 2014
After playing the game and learning there was an anime, I came here expecting to be disappointed. But so far, really liking the first episode. I really appreciated that they added a lot to the intro, rather than revealing the nature of the world all at once.

One major divergence from the game is the fact that Shogo already has his revolver ability. Which I dont mind at all, because I can see how that will save a lot of time next episode(s) in explaining the weapons. Ooooo but yessss I love that theyre using the same Mu songs from the game ST.

The one thing I feel they really couldve done better was the way Kensuke was introduced and MC realizes what is going on.-- I think it was really clever how at first they made Kensuke the year 3 rep at the graduation ceremony. However, after that, at the entrace ceremony, nothing was explained; MC has a panic attack; and then a ton of random crap all happens at once.

For those who dont understand wth happened at the end: At the Graduation Ceremony, Hibiki Kensuke was the Year 3 representative. Then the next day, MC seems to be the only who realizes the same guy, Hibiki Kensuke is now the Year 1 representative at the Entrance Ceremony. MC realizes there are strange abnormalities with the world he is living in. Then Kensuke turns the school into a Mu (idol girl) rave party, and enemies start attacking.
Mar 19, 2023 3:59 PM

Aug 2017
The first episode give a very promising plot,
More questions than answers, let's hope they explain everything in a good manner,
Animation and OST is good, good thing the MC is not a clown,
let's see what happen next
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Caligula Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

8 by Dekom »»
Apr 5, 2023 4:32 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 11 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 10 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 9, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 9 Discussion

fukumenkei - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Dekom »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Poll: » Caligula Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

15 by Dekom »»
Mar 26, 2023 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.