Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2018 8:28 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Now I know people are attached to certain genres very instinctively. I know I float towards Shounen especially but in the long run I'm very much a person who pays no attention to tags and looks for other aspects. Also my mood changes incredibly and constantly so I'm not always in the mood for action 24/7.

But I'll see some small groups of people be reasonably attached to certain genres. If it has a specific, especially niche tag slapped on then they will watch it no matter the quality of it.

I've never really understood this, the closest thing I have ventured is reading BL/GL manga for almost a quality check purpose but I don't go crazy over it and usually find the genre very schlock and I do the manga because it's easy to digest and burn through.

Would like to know the thought process of being so connected to a genre like this. Whether it's mecha, card games, romance, or harem etc. Or do you know someone or a friend like this. Or could you honestly never see yourself restricting yourself in this nature.
Mar 28, 2018 8:48 PM

Sep 2014
I feel like it's got to do with a genre being the first one that a person really enjoyed, so it becomes almost like a nostalgia and is quite precious to the person. Like mecha for example is not very popular at the moment, but the people that do like it are massive fans, and I can assume that has something to do with mecha being the big genre when they first started watching so they have an attachment to it.

For me it's shounen, even though a lot of it is terrible I still love the genre.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Mar 28, 2018 9:09 PM

Jul 2017
1. Watching anime from a genre you like guarantees some degree of enjoyment. If you like the core of that genre, you would like staff build on that concept.
2. Trying new things is quite tiring, at least for me. I usually just stick with the things I am used to and comfortable with.
Mar 28, 2018 9:14 PM

Aug 2017
Romance and slice of life got me. It brings out the true characters and shows actual development
Mar 28, 2018 9:16 PM

Oct 2015
I once only watched harem and ecchi, always filtering the genres cause I love tropes there and still do cause I usually always enjoy them.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 28, 2018 9:18 PM

Sep 2015
nbyung09 said:
1. Watching anime from a genre you like guarantees some degree of enjoyment. If you like the core of that genre, you would like staff build on that concept.
2. Trying new things is quite tiring, at least for me. I usually just stick with the things I am used to and comfortable with.

+1

I only start trying new genre when I've ran out of series from the genre I liked at one point.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ No need pics...lets save the internet bandwidth (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Mar 28, 2018 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
Supernatural anime is my personal favorite genre. As you can see most of my favorite anime are indeed supernatural. However, at times I do get into other genres like slice of life, romance, sci-fi and a few shonen too.
Mar 28, 2018 9:29 PM

Feb 2010
I'll watch any of those 3 genres basically, although there might be some specific exceptions for #2 and #3, but not very many at all. The reason is that I basically expect the worst cases of them to still be in the 6-7 range, which is above average and a decent watch, and those are like the least enjoyable ones of that genre. It only goes up from there. I can't really say that about any other genres.

1. Battle Shounen:
I just love all the tropes of battle shounen, from power levels to power of friendship, from multi-level organizations on both sides to the foe-becomes-friend trope, from training arcs to tournament arcs. I love seeing the different worlds and battle systems, the huge casts, the longer than average duration and larger scale of most of their stories, the arc structure. I just like all of it.

2. Sports/Competitive Settings (including games or cooking or whatever you can think of):
Similar situation to battle shounen, just loving all the related tropes and everything. Just never lets me down, unless the sports aspect is just a backdrop and the synopsis doesn't make that clear, which happens sometimes, but not very often.

3. Mystery:
I also love most of the tropes here, but I am a bit more weary of some of them compared to the other two. Here the main factor why I almost always watch them is because of the way they are structured it is almost inherently exciting to watch. Even if it turns out to be a plot and conclusion and silly reveals at the end, that only really ruins the last ~2 episodes or so, and that's the worst case scenario. The earlier parts of being in the dark, getting some ominous hints, red herrings, slowly trying to figure out what's going on on your own, speculating, coming up with theories, reading into details etc... is always similarly fun even in the end some mysteries end up having better written conclusions than others. But it's the process itself, no matter the detailed content/plot, that is fun. So unless the show really, really screws up mystery shows are generally gonna be enjoyable for me, at least in the 6-7/10 area.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 28, 2018 9:34 PM

Apr 2017
The lacking of Dementia is far more disturbing.. than looking on some weird mindfuckery cheap bootleg flick that sells raw vegan meat in the ghetto

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Mar 28, 2018 9:42 PM

Aug 2012
Shonen/seinen is not a genre, but demographic. Common misconception.

To me, being obsessed with certain genres were always just phases that came by. Maybe you read/watched a good romance, and wanted to indulge yourself more in that genre - resulting in a obsession.
Mar 28, 2018 9:46 PM

Jan 2018
yea i do like some genres like mystery, game and SoL. i tryin some genre if i get bored like romance and school. but my favorite is hentai

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Mar 28, 2018 9:59 PM

Mar 2016
I liked every genre, it have own charm by itself. But "comedy" is really friendly for me.

I don't search anime to watch based on genre, but based on :
-OP/ED in series which i listened randomly on net radio, and i loved it
-anything from adapted manga that i have physicaly
-any anime that adapted from yonkoma manga.O n past winter i watched : pop team epic, slow start and ramen daisuki koizumi-san (but honestly ramen koizumi isnt yonkoma. I have the manga physically and confirmed it wasnt yonkoma, datshitty mal data)

Mar 28, 2018 10:15 PM

Jun 2011
I am definitely a bag of everything... but learning what genres I actually like through Malgraph gave me focus and helped me to stop wasting my time.

Top 5 genres given priority. Look for anime with at least two of my top 5... and suddenly I realized my taste wasn’t as complicated to figure out.

Genres: Drama, Adventure, Sci-fi, Space
Themes of: Loneliness, feeling alien, friendship
Demographic: usually do best if there is no listed demographic. Shoujo is my highest which puts me at odds with what is popular. And knowing that I have girly taste is half the battle.
Hate: action, thriller, character designs that feel copy-pasted....

I think the realization that I care more about art style and aesthetics than I previously felt has been helpful. Following character design on anime I like gives me the most consistently loved anime. Following mechanical designers has also become a habit too.
Energetic-NovaMar 28, 2018 10:20 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 29, 2018 10:48 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Menzo- said:
I feel like it's got to do with a genre being the first one that a person really enjoyed, so it becomes almost like a nostalgia and is quite precious to the person. Like mecha for example is not very popular at the moment, but the people that do like it are massive fans, and I can assume that has something to do with mecha being the big genre when they first started watching so they have an attachment to it.

For me it's shounen, even though a lot of it is terrible I still love the genre.

That could be it. Shounen was def something I've been watching before I even knew what anime really was. The only other big genres I see that pull for is Magical Girls and Mecha which have both been on the dying scale of genre. Makes me wonder.

nbyung09 said:

Reasonable? I do like action series but I feel like theres just too many parts like the characters, the pace, the production that will kill my enjoyment fast. Not to mention so many smaller productions of certain niches (looking at the bl community) are quite cheap and cash grabbing with their ploy so I find it hard to get into.

Pullman said:

1. Battle Shounen:
I just love all the tropes of battle shounen, from power levels to power of friendship, from multi-level organizations on both sides to the foe-becomes-friend trope, from training arcs to tournament arcs. I love seeing the different worlds and battle systems, the huge casts, the longer than average duration and larger scale of most of their stories, the arc structure. I just like all of it.

As much as I can enjoy the tropes in shounen/action I've been so lukewarm on ones that have no idea where they're going or what they're doing. Aka the Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tales. But I totally get what you're saying. The world and cast really is the reason I am fully attracted to these things. Probably going to be attached to them forever.
Mar 29, 2018 10:59 AM

Feb 2010
Stripes said:
Menzo- said:

That could be it. Shounen was def something I've been watching before I even knew what anime really was. The only other big genres I see that pull for is Magical Girls and Mecha which have both been on the dying scale of genre. Makes me wonder.

nbyung09 said:

Reasonable? I do like action series but I feel like theres just too many parts like the characters, the pace, the production that will kill my enjoyment fast. Not to mention so many smaller productions of certain niches (looking at the bl community) are quite cheap and cash grabbing with their ploy so I find it hard to get into.

Pullman said:

1. Battle Shounen:

As much as I can enjoy the tropes in shounen/action I've been so lukewarm on ones that have no idea where they're going or what they're doing. Aka the Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tales. But I totally get what you're saying. The world and cast really is the reason I am fully attracted to these things. Probably going to be attached to them forever.

Setting aside Naruto which I really wouldn't put in the same category since it had a clear direction from early on and ended up exactly where it wanted to hundreds of episodes later and is definitely a few steps above the other examples you mentioned as far as I'm concerned (I really think it's one of the better battle shounen out there if you just disregard most of the shitty fillers), the other two are among my least favorite ones as well. But even they had some awesome arcs earlier. They failed in some crucial departments imo, but not in all of them so I still got enjoyment out of them even when they declined. Bleach always had cool designs and fights, Fairy Tail had nice side characters and decent worldbuilding etc... Both had meh MCs and boring battle systems that didn't leave a lot of room for innovation tho, which are probably my biggest issues with them.

By the end of their runtime I was just kinda dragging along and lost most of my enthusiasm for them, but both also at some point hyped me up like my favorite battle shounen so I can't really say they were a negative experience overall. Just not as good as they could have been after some time.
Mar 29, 2018 11:09 AM
Aug 2010
I haven't seen a ton of anime, but I'm generally pretty interested in mystery anime, even if at first glance it doesn't look like anything special. Some mystery anime are executed really well, but even others that are kind of silly or have random twists are still fun to watch, even if they don't give the viewer much of a chance of figuring out what happened on their own.
まぁ、全部嘘だけどね。
Mar 29, 2018 11:13 AM

Feb 2018
I am pretty much exactly like u described urself in the first paragraph
Mar 29, 2018 11:15 AM

Jul 2015
i prefer some genres over others ofc (drama/romance/thriller/action)

there is some genres i avoid completely (yaoi /shounen ai)

and there is some genres i don't like but still give them a try (Sol)
Mar 29, 2018 11:18 AM

Jan 2017
The only genre I really like is SoL. I don’t care for action (battle shounen), supernatural, mystery, horror or psychological anime.

Does this mean I love every SoL show? No and I wouldn’t say I’m obsessed with the genre because admittedly the tropes do get old. The main reason mostly SoL is on MAL is because I don’t want to really waste my time with action series, I will someday though.
Mar 29, 2018 11:20 AM

Mar 2018
They're probably content with whatever genre they're deeply engrossed into that they have no reason to delve elsewhere. I guess it's like people who constantly listen to the same type of music.

Sounds boring as shit to me though.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Mar 29, 2018 11:21 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Pullman said:

Setting aside Naruto which I really wouldn't put in the same category since it had a clear direction from early on and ended up exactly where it wanted to hundreds of episodes later and is definitely a few steps above the other examples you mentioned as far as I'm concerned (I really think it's one of the better battle shounen out there if you just disregard most of the shitty fillers), the other two are among my least favorite ones as well. But even they had some awesome arcs earlier. They failed in some crucial departments imo, but not in all of them so I still got enjoyment out of them even when they declined. Bleach always had cool designs and fights, Fairy Tail had nice side characters and decent worldbuilding etc... Both had meh MCs and boring battle systems that didn't leave a lot of room for innovation tho, which are probably my biggest issues with them.

By the end of their runtime I was just kinda dragging along and lost most of my enthusiasm for them, but both also at some point hyped me up like my favorite battle shounen so I can't really say they were a negative experience overall. Just not as good as they could have been after some time.

Naruto is def more of the upper mid-tier (to me personally) because yes it does hit everything it needs to. It ended in the most typical way because it had a pretty linear direction from the get-go and it was unique. Just to me it didn't capitalize on a lot of it's early ideas, world building, and especially it's cast. But I blame myself for being a fucking hyped up teenager at the time and not really knowing better.

Bleach has some of the coolest fights but Ichigo is quite basic? I mean I want to almost praise him for not having a typical goal like hokage or some shit but he also has no direction, he's kind of the "reaction" to all the stuff around him because he has power to do so but it's not as well, set up as it could have been; ever since I've revisited Yu Yu Hakusho I for sure see the parallel between Yusuke and him but Yusuke is just a much more intriguing character for his entire run, he also runs a bit flat to at some points but has an arc all the way through the journey. But I still haven't done a full run of Bleach so maybe I am being harsh.

A lot of these large epics kind of just end up being kinda dry by the end because of either the ridiculous ass pulls or becoming a slug fest in it's final hours. Which I can enjoy on a surface level but stuff like HxH (And even BNHA at this point) which I know isn't really finished really opened my eyes up to careful planning and theme building in the story (stuff I personally find a lot of value in) which stuff like Naruto and Bleach start off with REALLY STRONG and then forget they had that set up half way through their run and becomes a fight the biggest boss in the universe ordeal. Meh. I've just become ridiculously picky. But I still find value in all of them.

Mar 29, 2018 11:24 AM

Feb 2018
I will watch anything as long as the plot is good. Although this does mean some genres like ecchi and harem are almost never included as one of my favorites, however, there is a few exceptions.
Mar 29, 2018 11:30 AM

May 2017
I guess it really just depends on your interests.

I am always drawn to music anime because they usually have characters that I find fun and have really good music. On the other hand, I tend to stay away from battle shounen because I personally don't find them all that interesting.

I never restrict myself to a genre though, because I find that I like stuff from every genre. I don't really look at the tags for an anime I want to watch unless I'm working on a challenge.

Mar 29, 2018 11:32 AM

Mar 2016
While I enjoy a lot of other genres, the Shounen genre is definitely one I connect the most with. It’s the genre that got me into watching anime in the first place, and I don’t really get tired of it’s tropes unlike a lot of other people.

Stripes said:

I wouldn’t put Naruto on the same level as the other two tbh. When Naruto was good, it was really good imo. The war arc is where I have a lot of problems with the series, but everything up until then is pretty competently written.
Katsuo_Mar 29, 2018 11:38 AM

Mar 29, 2018 11:37 AM

Sep 2014
Well, I don't know how is this even a question.
Of course people have preferences and will gravitate to stuff they enjoyed before. It's the same case with pretty much every media, music instantly comes to mind as something a lot of people have their own taste developed and are more likely to try new stuff from genres they like.

"tag slapped on then they will watch it no matter the quality of it. "
well, you know, it can be trust to hard the anime community and the popular opinion of quality sometimes, I believe everyone has shows they really disagree on with most. for some it happens more often than not. it would be silly to let others opinion stop you from trying on a show, especially if you know the genres are something you like

But even if the show happens to be actually bad to you, the presence of some things you like can outweigh the negatives. to me, a mediocre mecha show is most likely going to be more enjoyable than even the most beloved slice of life or other slow stuff.
I personally had tons of fun with Valvrave, and while I agree with most criticism for it, to me it was a very nice show overall and I liked it more than Mushishi you will find almost nothing but praise for. I tried because I knew it had things I tend to love (rebellion, mechas and some weird ideasa) so I tried. better than let mal's opinion of it being shit decide for you
Mar 29, 2018 11:49 AM

Jul 2015
I am honestly unsure of why i still obsess over things like Shounen or Ghost themed anime
I just grew up with those kind of series and even though i know all the cliches and twists that might happen i can't help but be surprised and invested in them
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 29, 2018 11:55 AM

Feb 2010
Stripes said:
Pullman said:

Naruto is def more of the upper mid-tier (to me personally) because yes it does hit everything it needs to. It ended in the most typical way because it had a pretty linear direction from the get-go and it was unique. Just to me it didn't capitalize on a lot of it's early ideas, world building, and especially it's cast. But I blame myself for being a fucking hyped up teenager at the time and not really knowing better.

I actually do quite like the gradual (political) worldbuilding of Naruto, introducing the various villages and their leaders, the history and everything. Worldbuilding is actually one of my favorite parts about that show, I mostly checked out Boruto because I really wanted to see more stories just set in that world after so much time had been spent establishing it.
I can see the criticism of the cast a bit more. It's funny because at the same time I think the characters (or some of them) are among my favorite parts of Naruto, but I also agree there was more potential there early on. Overall I think they did okay involving the side characters, although Hero Academia or World Trigger are obviously doing a much better job at involving the whole cast and making everyone relevant and not feel useless.

I also really liked the battle system in Naruto, it's one of the coolest ones out there after Nen tbh. Lots of room for cool and crazy ideas as well as strategy. Definitely a plus for Naruto.

Everything going a bit off-scale and otherworldly at the finale was unnecessary imo but I feel like it bothers me a lot less than most other naruto watchers who seem to really be furious about it. I think it made sense on principle, it just wasn't executed that well. But I do feel like it was planned fairly well and everything kinda come together, while for Bleach every arc after Soul Society feels like Kubo came up with it on the spot without putting any planning into it xD.
The final fight with Sasuke was predictable but that didn't make it bad, I actually quite loved that part.

I really feel like if there were no fillers in the anime I would really love Naruto because I found most arcs to be pretty enjoyable or interesting and some of the issues I had early on with the characters got solved pretty neatly by the power of character development in Shippuuden. Overall I feel like there isn't much I can criticize. Yeah some of the characters could have been more active and more interesting (but there were enough that I really liked already in the show), the finale went a bit too far and a few other issues I could nitpick about, but the more I think of it the more I miss Naruto. Boruto is just kinda boring 85% of the time, which is not how the early parts of a battle shounen are supposed to go :/.

Bleach has some of the coolest fights but Ichigo is quite basic? I mean I want to almost praise him for not having a typical goal like hokage or some shit but he also has no direction, he's kind of the "reaction" to all the stuff around him because he has power to do so but it's not as well, set up as it could have been; ever since I've revisited Yu Yu Hakusho I for sure see the parallel between Yusuke and him but Yusuke is just a much more intriguing character for his entire run, he also runs a bit flat to at some points but has an arc all the way through the journey. But I still haven't done a full run of Bleach so maybe I am being harsh.

Yeah Ichigo was always my least favorite MC of the big 3. Ishida was much more interesting, or even Chad. And the show lacking direction was definitely what made it unable to sustain such a long run. All the other big ones have some kind of long-term goal, but not Bleach. Being different isn't always good xD.

But the biggest issue I have with Bleach is wasting potential left and right. So many cool concepts or characters get introduced but never really get to shine or just end up being completely forgotten. Early on it looked like Kido might be a serious alternative for fighting, but it got quickly discarded instead of fleshed out. So many of the characters I was hyped about meeting at first (a bunch of the Captains and Vice Captains, the Vizards) had a ton of potential but never lived up to it. A lot of the captains just kinda idled along until all interest in them was lost, and the Vizards had a half-assed arc and then were kinda ignored even when they could have been a defining point in making the show more interesting from then on.

So yeah I feel like there were a lot of cool elements in there, but the mangaka didn't know how to reuse them in future arcs that aren't their main arc so they all got shoved aside or ignored and he just kept making up new stuff for each arc, not making use of what he established in past arcs.

A lot of these large epics kind of just end up being kinda dry by the end because of either the ridiculous ass pulls or becoming a slug fest in it's final hours. Which I can enjoy on a surface level but stuff like HxH (And even BNHA at this point) which I know isn't really finished really opened my eyes up to careful planning and theme building in the story (stuff I personally find a lot of value in) which stuff like Naruto and Bleach start off with REALLY STRONG and then forget they had that set up half way through their run and becomes a fight the biggest boss in the universe ordeal. Meh. I've just become ridiculously picky. But I still find value in all of them.

Well I disagree that Naruto wasn't planned well up until the finale. As I explained above that's one of its strengths for me so I guess we can just agree to disagree on this. Definitely agree with Bleach, and it didn't even take half its run, I feel like anything after Soul Society has that issue.

Also not sure, are you saying HxH is a good example for being carefully planned? Because to me that might apply to the individual arcs, but I'M not sure it has any idea of where it is going long-term. The goal was for Gon to meet his father, and he did, but it's still going on. Don't get me wrong, HxH is fantastic and has easily the best characters and battle system out of all battle shounen in my opinion, and is probably my favorite, but long-term planning and goals are kinda the only thing it doesn't have. It's more of a random adventure, which has its own appeal.
Mar 29, 2018 12:26 PM

Jul 2017
Stripes said:

nbyung09 said:

I didn't watch much action anime, but I'll take action anime as an example.
Firstly, you and those fans are not looking for the same things.
For example, you are looking for action anime that is overall good (by your standard).
But they are just looking for anime that have fight scenes.

Another factor is the level of tolerance.
Of course an action anime would definitely have staff in addition to the fight scenes.
You may get bother by the anime if the staff in addition to the fight scene are done poorly.
But they might be fine and thinking "at least there are fight scenes".

About cash grabbing
There are a lot of anime that are customer-focused and include elements that would entertain them. For me, I don't mind this type of product-like anime because I am just a consumer. I am actually glad if they are actually making anime for me.

So I'd watch that, and I'd probably like them. There is no reason for me to not co-operate when it's about getting entertained, even a part of their intention is to make money. But it is not like I'm paying all of them, I am only paying if they are something special.

Even so people who are actually making them are not earning much, making anime is a terrible job. They stay and make anime because they love to create and entertain. I have seen shows that borrow concepts from successful anime, but I haven't seen a show that's all about making money, especially in adaptation anime. Even shows look similar, there are still a lot of changes and new ideas, and those minor changes can bring big difference.

Mar 29, 2018 12:36 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Katsuo_ said:
Stripes said:

I wouldn’t put Naruto on the same level as the other two tbh. When Naruto was good, it was really good imo. The war arc is where I have a lot of problems with the series, but everything up until then is pretty competently written.

It's not the writing I have a lot of issue with per say (or not as much). It's just the exponential amount of waste to the world and unique society Kishi squandered that lowers it down for me. I think the War Arc could've worked fantastically if certain elements were set up at least from part 2 to lead to that conflict. Having a bunch of characters you like and want to know more about explored in the heat of a war sounds amazing but lot of the character focus is on people we don't care about, don' really have interest in, and characters we've know since early on but don't have satisfying conclusions what so ever, I'm looking at you Team Gai and just about every main stay female in the series. Again it's probably just a me thing. Rereading through it again for the first time in 7+ years recently really made me let out the largest sigh.

Imaishi said:
Well, I don't know how is this even a question.
Of course people have preferences and will gravitate to stuff they enjoyed before. It's the same case with pretty much every media, music instantly comes to mind as something a lot of people have their own taste developed and are more likely to try new stuff from genres they like.

"tag slapped on then they will watch it no matter the quality of it. "
well, you know, it can be trust to hard the anime community and the popular opinion of quality sometimes, I believe everyone has shows they really disagree on with most. for some it happens more often than not. it would be silly to let others opinion stop you from trying on a show, especially if you know the genres are something you like

My interest came from the News Section on really any anime site and how I see a lot of the same frequent people spaz out over a BL anime being greenlit or even the pretty typical cgdct seasonal being released. I just don't understand the notion of caring for such a thing so much, unless that is literally the only type you're interested in. Even I get very skeptical on the Action/Shounen coming out, something like Black Clover piqued my interest enough when coming out but the mix hype from the "shounen fags" and my own clear eye of judgement knew better and def didn't keep me sticking around.

I just wanted to hear how notion of genre obsession starts and ticks. And even more why people are just comfortable trusting that just because it has "x factor" means it's worth of being excitable I suppose.
Mar 29, 2018 12:45 PM

Nov 2016
Pullman said:
I'll watch any of those 3 genres basically, although there might be some specific exceptions for #2 and #3, but not very many at all. The reason is that I basically expect the worst cases of them to still be in the 6-7 range, which is above average and a decent watch, and those are like the least enjoyable ones of that genre. It only goes up from there. I can't really say that about any other genres.

1. Battle Shounen:

2. Sports/Competitive Settings (including games or cooking or whatever you can think of):
Similar situation to battle shounen, just loving all the related tropes and everything. Just never lets me down, unless the sports aspect is just a backdrop and the synopsis doesn't make that clear, which happens sometimes, but not very often.

This guy here summed it up very well.

ASide from these two examples I'm also always up for some rom/com and cute girls series. Especially the latter ones are pretty much always a safe bet.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2018 12:49 PM

May 2016
Whats my favorete genre? I dont know, can someone point it out?
Mar 29, 2018 1:00 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
DeviantMind said:
Whats my favorete genre? I dont know, can someone point it out?

According to MALGraph it's School, Dementia, and Mystery.
Mar 29, 2018 2:15 PM

Feb 2015
The reason why isekai is so popular because a lot of viewers will understood MC's stuggle and pain.
Mar 29, 2018 4:16 PM

Feb 2010
FMmatron said:
Pullman said:

1. Battle Shounen:

ASide from these two examples I'm also always up for some rom/com and cute girls series. Especially the latter ones are pretty much always a safe bet.

I kinda find cute girl shows to be hit or miss for me and it's hard to pinpoint what makes the difference. Some really bore me and I just never really get into them, while others are among the easiest watches ever. I still like them more often than not so I also kinda try all of them, but I do regularly drop some of them or just end up not really enjoying them. Some of the ones I didn't get into are Gochuumon, Urara Meirochou, Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha, Re-Kan, NieA and Action Heroine Cheer Fruits.
Mar 29, 2018 4:34 PM

Mar 2012
Stripes said:
Katsuo_ said:

It's not the writing I have a lot of issue with per say (or not as much). It's just the exponential amount of waste to the world and unique society Kishi squandered that lowers it down for me. I think the War Arc could've worked fantastically if certain elements were set up at least from part 2 to lead to that conflict. Having a bunch of characters you like and want to know more about explored in the heat of a war sounds amazing but lot of the character focus is on people we don't care about, don' really have interest in, and characters we've know since early on but don't have satisfying conclusions what so ever, I'm looking at you Team Gai and just about every main stay female in the series. Again it's probably just a me thing. Rereading through it again for the first time in 7+ years recently really made me let out the largest sigh.
To be honest here the filler especially early Naruto ones not Shippuden is doing good job expanding the cast. Like there are Anko one where it expanded her relationship with Oro.

What Naruto suffer is too little time because it have too many cast that's have story worth having them become main character on. That's also why I love Hidan & Kakuzu arc since it show more story from another character POV outside of Team 7.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 29, 2018 5:07 PM

Nov 2016
Pullman said:
FMmatron said:

I kinda find cute girl shows to be hit or miss for me and it's hard to pinpoint what makes the difference. Some really bore me and I just never really get into them, while others are among the easiest watches ever. I still like them more often than not so I also kinda try all of them, but I do regularly drop some of them or just end up not really enjoying them. Some of the ones I didn't get into are Gochuumon, Urara Meirochou, Tari Tari, Hanasaku Iroha, Re-Kan, NieA and Action Heroine Cheer Fruits.

The only ones I've dropped so far were Centaur no Nayami and Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san, not because I thought they were bad, they just didn't click with me.All the others were pretty good watches at least. And although I didn't confirm, I'm still pretty sure that my average rating for that subgenre must be high.

Also,it's true,I really don't know how to tell what makes a cute girls series good or bad,but pluses in my book are

-the right character archetypes(which are usually pretty similar,tho,as far as I'm concerned)
-hilarious facial expressions
-and girls doing an activity I'm interested in,for example K-On!,sure the music aspect wasn't really explored,but I had a lot of whenever they performed a song.

Ok that's all extremely subjective and not based on any facts,but that's how I look at it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 29, 2018 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
I don't restrict myself to one genre, but I am most likely to pick up something if it has a genre I like. Genres I love include josei, magical girl, and psychological. I also do it with studios, such as Trigger and Madhouse. I picked up Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho this season when it was 3 episodes in simply because I noticed the studio was Madhouse. And I wouldn't have picked up Darling in the FRANxx because I'm not a fan of mecha, but I did because Trigger was working on it lol. Same with anything done by director Ikuhara Kunihiko.
Mar 29, 2018 5:15 PM
Jul 2018

Instead of watching only certain genres I just avoid some, maybe because I'm new to anime. I also disregard ratings and very very rarely read reviews. To read a synopsis and to see overall artstyle is usually enough to decide. It's interesting to read about character personalities and search for screenshots, since I don't mind spoilers.
Mar 29, 2018 5:18 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
NeoAnkara said:
Stripes said:

To be honest here the filler especially early Naruto ones not Shippuden is doing good job expanding the cast. Like there are Anko one where it expanded her relationship with Oro.

What Naruto suffer is too little time because it have too many cast that's have story worth having them become main character on. That's also why I love Hidan & Kakuzu arc since it show more story from another character POV outside of Team 7.

I'm neither a fan nor against filler. If the filler is good for anything it's good for that alone. But who really wants to watch all of it....I watched the entirety of original Naruto all 220 episodes and those were fun for me as a kid but dedicating the ridiculousness of 500 episodes to Shippuden. Sheesh. I mean I read through the manga within a week and yes it flows well together but you're right, it's because it's very much Naruto story and only his and only veers over to Sasuke perspective when it matters and very little beyond that. And to be real. Naruto is kinda of boring after a while (wants to get strongers + follow sasuke -- doesn't really have a life we see beyond this). Especially with the fact that he hardly interacts with different characters for more then a mission.

The Hidan & Kakuzu arc was for sure one of my favorites it gave Shikamaru some actual depth (granted it kind of swept Ino and Chouji to the way side) which really should've been done with all 12 but let me laugh at that. And the draw to the Akatsuki only made me even more bitter that they got thrown aside after Pein for the Madara/Obito/Kaguya story that was going to impend doom onto the story.

Also include a side not that the other villages outside of Konaha are hardly explored until basically the Kage Summit which is so far into the story hardly scratches the surface. I know the filler goes into that too but this is a story that goes into war united by all nations and we know so little about them once we get there.
Mar 29, 2018 5:35 PM

Nov 2014
I think it's like gamers who play FIFA or NBA games and nothing else, they're not there for the medium they're there for the sport, it's the same with mecha anime, a lot of the people who watch mecha anime aren't there for the anime, they're there for the mecha, they would probably watch a live action mecha show before trying a different genre of anime. I don't find it weird at all.
I'm drawn to certain genres myself, I love slice of life, girls doing cute things and especially Iyashikei, if I see something in these categories then 90% of the time I'll end up enjoying it at least enough for a 7/10. At the same time I dislike most Isekai, Harem and Shounen so I'll generally avoid these genres.
Forum Signature
Mar 29, 2018 5:45 PM

Mar 2012
Stripes said:
NeoAnkara said:

I'm neither a fan nor against filler. If the filler is good for anything it's good for that alone. But who really wants to watch all of it....I watched the entirety of original Naruto all 220 episodes and those were fun for me as a kid but dedicating the ridiculousness of 500 episodes to Shippuden. Sheesh. I mean I read through the manga within a week and yes it flows well together but you're right, it's because it's very much Naruto story and only his and only veers over to Sasuke perspective when it matters and very little beyond that. And to be real. Naruto is kinda of boring after a while (wants to get strongers + follow sasuke -- doesn't really have a life we see beyond this). Especially with the fact that he hardly interacts with different characters for more then a mission.

The Hidan & Kakuzu arc was for sure one of my favorites it gave Shikamaru some actual depth (granted it kind of swept Ino and Chouji to the way side) which really should've been done with all 12 but let me laugh at that. And the draw to the Akatsuki only made me even more bitter that they got thrown aside after Pein for the Madara/Obito/Kaguya story that was going to impend doom onto the story.

Also include a side not that the other villages outside of Konaha are hardly explored until basically the Kage Summit which is so far into the story hardly scratches the surface. I know the filler goes into that too but this is a story that goes into war united by all nations and we know so little about them once we get there.
Obsession with Sasuke aside I love Naruto development as a whole. Shunned as a kid he did everything to even earn attention even if it mean that only a contempt that he get. Starting from Chuunin Exam where against all odds he manage to beat Neji and the view on him get better. That's goes up until where he get recognition after he beat Pain. And even then he still harbor doubt inside copping with the change that he get. Only after he is facing himself in the Waterfall of Truth that he start to accept everything and maturing.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 29, 2018 5:53 PM

Feb 2010
FMmatron said:
Pullman said:

The only ones I've dropped so far were Centaur no Nayami and Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san, not because I thought they were bad, they just didn't click with me.All the others were pretty good watches at least. And although I didn't confirm, I'm still pretty sure that my average rating for that subgenre must be high.

Also,it's true,I really don't know how to tell what makes a cute girls series good or bad,but pluses in my book are

-the right character archetypes(which are usually pretty similar,tho,as far as I'm concerned)
-hilarious facial expressions
-and girls doing an activity I'm interested in,for example K-On!,sure the music aspect wasn't really explored,but I had a lot of whenever they performed a song.

Ok that's all extremely subjective and not based on any facts,but that's how I look at it.

Oh yeah, Koizumi-san was a show I almost dropped, only really continued because I was watching it together with someone.

The only thing I can say for sure is that whether I like the comedy and how much there is plays a big role in whether I get bored of it or not.
Mar 29, 2018 6:58 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
NeoAnkara said:
Obsession with Sasuke aside I love Naruto development as a whole. Shunned as a kid he did everything to even earn attention even if it mean that only a contempt that he get. Starting from Chuunin Exam where against all odds he manage to beat Neji and the view on him get better. That's goes up until where he get recognition after he beat Pain. And even then he still harbor doubt inside copping with the change that he get. Only after he is facing himself in the Waterfall of Truth that he start to accept everything and maturing.

I think the anime maybe expands on Naruto being shunned in the fillers better but that whole aspect is very dropped after the first arc of the manga. And hardly brought up. It does deepen his connection with Sasuke but other then that his whole aspect of his character is null until basically the part where he confronts his "true self" before the war and even then it's kinda shallow? I would've had that same aspect of thinking as you if I literally didn't reread the thing front to back last month but yeah it hardly inflicts anything on his character or weighs on him past how "he didn't have friends before team 7" which gets pretty retconned at certain points. Like I see what Kishi was doing but ehhhhh.

Like these views of being shunned by these people are hardly brought up into considering how his young dream to be Hokage was very centered around being the best and showing everyone his worth to "Wow I'm the leader of these people and my world view is different now" he kinda just becomes Hokage cause he's the strongest and people respect him because he beat the big bad and maybe it's brought up in other aspects of the franchise but I hardly get the feeling the other aspects of being a leader are brought to the forefront anywhere.

This is Stripes complaining about Naruto part 92873.

More topics from this board

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

96 by rho34 »»
2 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 1 hour ago

2 by LightWorker »»
4 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

27 by joseifan »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

207 by JessicaKari »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

66 by BatoKusanagi »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.