Forum Settings
Forums

Make setting Airing Status of shows as completed automated || Add a 24h delay for submission of completed reviews

New
Mar 28, 2018 4:30 PM

Jul 2016
Disclaimer: This post is rather lengthy, if you want a TL;DR, it’s at the bottom!

Let’s not mince words: the current review situation is terrible. Shows get set to completed a day before they actually end and people start spamming ineligible reviews and rush out reviews. They do this to get featured in the top 4 to grab early votes, and they block those people who actually wait until the show has concluded from these very same spots, even though the reviews themselves will (or at least should) get removed, anyway. However, this time period is oftentimes so long that many of these ineligible reviews (often marked with a date before the actual conclusion of the show) grab all the upvotes from the initial wave of voters that comes around after a show has concluded. With how things are right now, cheaters are getting the attention they so much want and while in the end their reviews might be gone, those that followed the rules will have been sidelined while the seasonal train continues.

It would be easy to brush this error off as one of the community, how it views and how it votes on reviews. And you wouldn’t be wrong with this assessment. However, you can’t change so many people, and some people don’t want to change and I think that’s fine. There is actually a much easier solution:

Request 1

The MAL page of a show also lists the concluding date and time of the show. Just make it automated. As of now, if I understood correctly (MAL isn’t really transparent) then there is people who manually change the airing status of a show, and I don’t understand why. There is just so many downsides to it, and the only possible upside I can think of is pretty much naught.

+ in case the show concludes at a different date due to e.g. a pre-screening, so earlier than on TV, one needs to manually edit it

- people submit reviews early
- it creates a bigger workload
- people submitting reviews earlier creates an even bigger workload for review mods

However, in case of a pre-screening all you need to do is not set it to completed. Barely anyone on MAL has seen the show to completion and as such it doesn’t really matter. In case all goes sour, one can manually edit the status, but that isn’t more work compared to now, because now instead of sometimes you need to manually edit it all times.

Thus, I suggest that the process of setting the Airing Status to completed should be automated. (Respecting both time and date)

Request 2

I want to emphasize that this second request is more of a cherry on top and the values suggested here can be changed, however I will argue for the numbers and suggestions I provide. Please lay your focus on Request 1 before this one.

Many reviews today are written before the show actually concluded. Actually almost all of them are, for seasonals anyway. The reason for this is the same reason the people above submit ineligible reviews: if you want people to read them, you need to submit as early as possible. And I won’t lie, it’s what I do, too. I just watch the last episode of a show to make sure my review isn’t turned invalid and then I submit. This results in potentially a very important part of the narrative and the anime as an art piece itself being completely disregarded by the reviews. Imagine a Tatami Galaxy Review written without having seen episode 11 for instance. There is potentially a lot of important info completely lost on the reviewer.

Thus, I suggest that submitting a completed review is only possible 24 hours after the reviewed piece’s final episode has aired. The actual delay can of course deviate in length from this suggestion if deemed necessary, but I want to give my opinion on why a 24h delay would be best.

A shorter delay would result in people who don’t have access to legal streams (there are countries where not every anime is licensed, remember) being at a disadvantage and would thus entice these same people to write a review before they actually saw the last ep.

A 24 hour delay equals a full day of sleep, responsibilities and hobbies. The review can easily be written in the leftover free time during the day which will most likely arise some time in a standard day.

A longer delay isn’t needed because the aforementioned pretty much guarantees that most people interested in reviewing a show have enough time to consume the show and write the review.

Why we need these changes ASAP:

I think this PM speaks for itself. I asked the person who sent this message to a friend of mine for permission to use this screenshot and edited it so noone can make out who wrote the message, as per request of the author.

Keep in mind that this is a person who was frustrated enough to message a stranger about this because they saw them fight this behaviour. If you think this person is the only one slowly losing their drive and passion because they get sidelined by ineligible reviews, you are sorely mistaken.

What I will do in the meantime:
I plan on giving every review that is submitted after the show ended a helpful whenever i write a review myself. At this point I don’t even care whether I hit the top or not, all I want is for people who follow the rules to take the top spots, be it me or four other people. Cheaters and abusers getting top spots (looking at YoriMoi by the way, I’m the only eligible review in the top 4 right now, and that only because one of them deleted their review themselves (the guy took it like a champ, mad props to him)) is getting really tiring.

TL;DR

- current seasonal reviews is a spam of people submitting reviews before the show actually ends
- this is because the shows get set as completed manually

----> Suggestion 1: Make the process of setting shows’ airing status as completed automated with help of the airing dates and times given on the info page

- current reviews are often written before the final episode aired and then after checking the final ep for validity of the review, submitted
- this can potentially lead to missing an important part of a narrative or the art piece as itself in the contents of the review
- reviews that aren’t written beforehand need to be rushed

----> Suggestion 2: After the automated process, add a 24h delay until completed reviews can be submitted.

In case you are a fellow reviewer and equally tired of this, I ask you to share this post with other reviewers who you think might also approve of this change. I sincerely hope we can do something to better the current state of MAL reviews.

Yours,
PizzaOnPineapple
PitzerMar 29, 2018 11:01 AM
Mar 28, 2018 4:54 PM

Mar 2018
I am currently trying to get into writing reviews, and am finding myself questioning how some of the reviews are at the top. This rule change for reviews would be phenomenal. Well done sir!
The Soviet Union will revive #communism
Mar 28, 2018 4:57 PM

Jun 2016
PizzaOnPineapple said:
AndoCommando said:
One small step for us, one giant leap for MALkind.

Still hate pineapple pizza tho
In times like these I am willing to even lay this war to rest. Let's make a change for the better, shall we? :)

United we stand, divided we fall. Despite my disgust for your pizza preferences, we must come together and "Fight Da Powa".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2018 4:58 PM

Jul 2016
Himura-Kenshin said:
I am currently trying to get into writing reviews, and am finding myself questioning how some of the reviews are at the top. This rule change for reviews would be phenomenal. Well done sir!
Thanks a lot. I sincerely hope this change, if it gets applied, makes getting into revewing easier and the system healthier. The change itself seems so self-explanatory that I'm shocked it hasn't long since been in place.
Mar 28, 2018 5:45 PM

Apr 2017
I find it annoying how when I look to see what people thought about new shows, the rushed reviews never help that. I'd love to see a change made.
Mar 28, 2018 6:19 PM

Jan 2017
@PineappleOnPizza The airing status is automated - IF there is a ending airing date. Once it hits the end airing date (JST) it will auto-set to 'Finished Airing'.

BUT if there is not an ending date for an associated MAL entry yet, it won't do anything and will still say 'Airing'. I always go and 'Edit Anime Information' for all the seasonals I watch about a week before they actually conclude, adding jsut the Final Air Date and submit it for Mod approval, so it gives them about a weeks timing cushion to get it in there so it will autoset to Finished Airing when said episodes' last episode day arrives.

I love the sentiment, but yeah its totally dependent on the airing dates being present or not.

Mar 28, 2018 6:25 PM

Jul 2016
J_LEE_C said:
@PineappleOnPizza The airing status is automated - IF there is a ending airing date. Once it hits the end airing date (JST) it will auto-set to 'Finished Airing'.

BUT if there is not an ending date for an associated MAL entry yet, it won't do anything and will still say 'Airing'. I always go and 'Edit Anime Information' for all the seasonals I watch about a week before they actually conclude, adding jsut the Final Air Date and submit it for Mod approval, so it gives them about a weeks timing cushion to get it in there so it will autoset to Finished Airing when said episodes' last episode day arrives.

I love the sentiment, but yeah its totally dependent on the airing dates being present or not.
The dates are there, but they do not get changed automatically. Even in cases where dates and times were present, the shows still were set to 'Completed' at random times the day before.
Mar 28, 2018 6:35 PM

Jan 2017
PizzaOnPineapple said:
J_LEE_C said:

The dates are there, but they do not get changed automatically. Even in cases where dates and times were present, the shows still were set to 'Completed' at random times the day before.

That's because its based off of their time zone in Japan. I live in the middle of the United States (CST) and Japan (JST) is 14 hours ahead of me.

A perfect example of this actually is:

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody - https://myanimelist.net/anime/34497/Death_March_kara_Hajimaru_Isekai_Kyousoukyoku

Its set as finished airing because right now in Japan its 10:30AM Thursday there on the same day that it will finish airing. Even though the show won't be available to watch here until 9:30AM tomorrow (which is 11:30PM Thursday there).

However with After The Rain - https://myanimelist.net/anime/34984/Koi_wa_Ameagari_no_You_ni

Its still set as currently airing because again right now in Japan its 10:30AM Thursday there, but its NOT the same day it will finish airing in Japan because it airs at 12:55AM on Friday Morning in Japan (which is 10:55AM on Thursday morning here).

So while both shows ^^ air on Thursday for me here, in Japan one airs on Thursday night, and the other airs very early Friday morning, with midnight being the discerning factor. (of course by the time they're available to be watched here where I live tomorrow morning, it will already be early Friday in Japan and therefore the show status will be changed to Finished Airing. You have to think from the (JST) time point of view.

If you don't believe me, wait and watch what happens tomorrow morning. Or tag a mod, and ask them. The only time a mod has to manually get involved is if the ending air date has not yet been added, which does happen. Otherwise, the database automatically recognizes the airdate from the JST perspective and is triggered to change the status of an entry upon reaching 12:00AM on the same-day as the final episode of an entry is set to air.

Mar 28, 2018 6:43 PM

Jul 2016
@J_LEE_C
I appreciate you trying to help me, but you are wrong.

As you can see my time on discord is 11:23AM on Monday, 26th of March. My timezone is 7 hours behind Japan. I know when the shows end. I don't need to tag a mod, because I have actually talked to mods. This screenshot is my talking to a friend of mine who is a mod. I know this has been a problem for well over a year.

Look at this show's top. See how there is people with dates a day earlier, even though MAL uses the american timezones, which are behind japanese timezones for reviews?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35839/Sora_yori_mo_Tooi_Basho

I am not making a thread without having any idea what I'm talking about.
Mar 28, 2018 7:00 PM

Jan 2017
PizzaOnPineapple said:
@J_LEE_C

As you can see my time on discord is 11:23AM on Monday, 26th of March. My timezone is 7 hours behind Japan. I know when the shows end. I don't need to tag a mod, because I have actually talked to mods. This screenshot is my talking to a friend of mine who is a mod. I know this has been a problem for well over a year.

Look at this show's top. See how there is people with dates a day earlier, even though MAL uses the american timezones, which are behind japanese timezones for reviews?

I can see that it says Monday, March 26th at 11:23 but it doesn't specify AM/PM since um and Uhr are used interchangeably in both. If it was PM, that actually still supports my point.

Es ist ein Uhr. (It’s 1 a.m.)

Es ist Viertel nach vier. (It’s 4:15 a.m.)

Es ist siebzehn Uhr dreißig. (It’s 5:30 p.m.)

Es ist dreiundzwanzig Uhr fünfundvierzig. (It’s 11:45 p.m.)

I will note this is one of the anime that didn't have an ending airing date that I had submitted a 'Edit Anime Information' for mod approval of, so it was likely manually done.

Separate issue - the reviews could have been made at literally any time after the 3rd or 4th episode since it was a 13ep (1-cour) series, as per the Review Rules. So they were eligible to be made at any time in the past two months. No time specific relation there.

Mar 28, 2018 7:07 PM

Jul 2016
J_LEE_C said:
PizzaOnPineapple said:
@J_LEE_C

I can see that it says Monday, March 26th at 11:23 but it doesn't specify AM/PM since um and Uhr are used interchangeably in both. If it was PM, that actually still supports my point.

[...]

I will note this is one of the anime that didn't have an ending airing date that I had submitted a 'Edit Anime Information' for mod approval of, so it was likely manually done.

Separate issue - the reviews could have been made at literally any time after the 3rd or 4th episode since it was a 13ep (1-cour) series, as per the Review Rules. So they were eligible to be made at any time in the past two months. No time specific relation there.
Dude, im german. We don't have AM/PM. If this was 11pm it would just be 23 uhr.
And no shit it was manually done. I'm just saying that since there were already a date and time present (even before this got changed to completed, mind you, but of course i didnt take a screenshot of that because why would i have done that) it should have been automated. This is the point of the thread. If some shows are automated, thats fine. Reviewing is still fucked for every show that gets listed as completed early.

Sorry, but I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

EDIT: Even if it was PM, it would still be more than a dozen hours off by the way. Maybe actually do the math.
PitzerMar 28, 2018 7:14 PM
Mar 28, 2018 7:31 PM

Jan 2017
PizzaOnPineapple said:
J_LEE_C said:

[...]

Dude, im german. We don't have AM/PM. If this was 11pm it would just be 23 uhr.
And no shit it was manually done. I'm just saying that since there were already a date and time present (even before this got changed to completed, mind you, but of course i didnt take a screenshot of that because why would i have done that) it should have been automated. This is the point of the thread. If some shows are automated, thats fine. Reviewing is still fucked for every show that gets listed as completed early.

Sorry, but I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

EDIT: Even if it was PM, it would still be more than a dozen hours off by the way. Maybe actually do the math.

I did the math. IF it was 11:23PM, it would be 6:23AM on Tuesday in Japan. Once midnight hits, all shows that have airing dates set to end on that day change to 'Finished Airing'. It doesn't wait and change when the show actually finishes airing on that day (in this case 8:30PM JST Tuesday, 1:30PM Tuesday your time)...it changes as soon as midnight is hit to change into that calendar day (in this case 12:00AM JST Tuesday, 5:00PM Monday your time).

Idk I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'd say the manual set by the mod could've thrown it off for this specific one, but I know ones with the air dates predetermined and already entered in autoset to finished airing.

Mar 28, 2018 7:35 PM

Jul 2016
J_LEE_C said:
Once midnight hits, all shows that have airing dates set to end on that day change to 'Finished Airing'. It doesn't wait and change when the show actually finishes airing on that day (in this case 8:30PM JST Tuesday, 1:30PM Tuesday your time)...it changes as soon as midnight is hit to change into that calendar day (in this case 12:00AM JST Tuesday, 5:00PM Monday your time).

Idk I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. I'd say the manual set by the mod could've thrown it off for this specific one, but I know ones with the air dates predetermined and already entered in autoset to finished airing.
Okay. This is valuable information, but it's also not what I am suggesting. I'm suggesting that the automation actually respects the TIME, not just the DATE.
Mar 28, 2018 7:39 PM

Jan 2017
PizzaOnPineapple said:
J_LEE_C said:
Once midnight hits, all shows that have airing dates set to end on that day change to 'Finished Airing'. It doesn't wait and change when the show actually finishes airing on that day (in this case 8:30PM JST Tuesday, 1:30PM Tuesday your time)...it changes as soon as midnight is hit to change into that calendar day (in this case 12:00AM JST Tuesday, 5:00PM Monday your time).

Okay. This is valuable information, but it's also not what I am suggesting. I'm suggesting that the automation actually respects the TIME, not just the DATE.

Ah, I see. That totally changes my perspective. And now I agree with you. See, good things can come from pointless arguing sometimes. lol We understand each other better now.

Mar 28, 2018 7:53 PM

Jun 2015
I wish the votes system was different in general. It's a shame it's always a race to the top 4.

Mar 28, 2018 10:12 PM

Jul 2017
code said:
I wish the votes system was different in general. It's a shame it's always a race to the top 4.

True that, it always feels like the popularity game on MAL to see who's popular vs. the true elitist review (open and honest). If there was a change to this, I'd hope that MAL would encourage readers to see more reviews than just create a focused and segmented review column.

J_LEE_C said:
PizzaOnPineapple said:

Ah, I see. That totally changes my perspective. And now I agree with you. See, good things can come from pointless arguing sometimes. lol We understand each other better now.

Something that we should put priority as especially as mentioned by Pizza is the set time and date coz that's always thrown off by the mods who are in charge of this, not to blame the mods, but could be a point to solidify the reviews on-point.

Also wishing that more people would take notice even if at the very least being apparent of the issue.
Mar 28, 2018 11:15 PM

Jun 2011
code said:

We used to have an unhelpful button, and things were much better back then... Reviews were generally more helpful...
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 28, 2018 11:24 PM

Jul 2009
Energetic-Nova said:
code said:

We used to have an unhelpful button, and things were much better back then... Reviews were generally more helpful...

The feature was removed because it invited its own set of problems (downvote raids), but tbh it's not much different now with people spamming helpfuls lol...
Mar 28, 2018 11:30 PM

Jun 2011
Skittles said:
Energetic-Nova said:

The feature was removed because it invited its own set of problems (downvote raids), but tbh it's not much different now with people spamming helpfuls lol...

Pretty much. People spam helpfuls... and there is no counterbalance.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 29, 2018 12:00 AM

Dec 2013
Pizza is the hero we need
Mar 29, 2018 1:18 AM

Sep 2012
code said:

Sir you just find the problem of the MAL review system. Not the helpful button not the Not helpful button but this. We can make best review contest rather than showing top 4 so that none of us need those buttons to begin with.

Oh hey what is this? Another idea that solves a problem on MAL...
Mar 29, 2018 2:51 AM

Aug 2016
Wholeheartedly supporting this. Believe it or not, there are some genuine critics on this site who put in time and effort to learn how to write better, and people complaining about MAL reviews don't even have the chance to see their reviews due to the current system. There is a way to change it, so why not actually do that?

I understand that the site's primary focus are not reviews, but as most likely the biggest site for text anime reviews at the moment, why squander the opportunity for letting it grow? I think a lot of people could be drawn here if this was advertised as an actual thing. Current system completely kills talented who want to seriously write about a piece of art, not quickly put together a review about some anime that will get them helpfuls.

I don't consider myself to be a part of any of the aforementioned groups of people, but I do know individuals from each. I met them through this site, I've become friends with some of them, and to see all of them being influenced by this in only a negative manner is disheartening. I do hope some actions will be taken to fix this issue. Good job Pizza on taking it upon yourself to be the hero we deserve :D
Werty800Mar 29, 2018 5:39 AM
Mar 29, 2018 2:56 AM

Apr 2016
*gives a standing ovation for Pizza*

I hope this trend dies off again real soon and never gets picked back up. I'd rather lose to legitimate reviews than ones sent by people who abused a fabricated "head start". I know you feel the same way.

Can't wait for when this happens to Violet Evergarden; it will be Doomday.
CodeBlazeFateMar 29, 2018 3:01 AM
Mar 29, 2018 6:13 AM

Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:

I hope this trend dies off again real soon and never gets picked back up. I'd rather lose to legitimate reviews than ones sent by people who abused a fabricated "head start". I know you feel the same way.

It won't because MAL still thinks it has 14 episodes, when it actually ends on the 13th xd
Mar 29, 2018 6:15 AM

Apr 2016
RoryBurrows said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

It won't because MAL still thinks it has 14 episodes, when it actually ends on the 13th xd
When peeps find out, hell and confusion will break loose, but at least I know beforehand.

MAL, FIX YOUR SHIT IMMEDIATELY WHEN EPISODE 13 AIRS, NO SOONER OR LATER!!!
Mar 29, 2018 7:28 AM

Jun 2015
Is it possible for me to upvote this entire thread? Pizzer, you're a saint.
Mar 29, 2018 10:21 AM

Jul 2016
Unconcerned said:
I personally like the idea of reviews being random, I think every time you load the page 4 different reviews should show. This would give everyone a chance to be featured. They could have a sort function by "most helpful" so people could see those if they wanted. It just seems more fair and deters the race to post reviews after a show has aired.
I get how you came to this idea, and it could fix major problems that will come up even after these changes are made (friends/fans/following whatever spam-upvoting one's reviews so only known people get top spots for example), but I think that this both:

a) needs to be in place for only a fixed period of time. The end goal should be to have the best/most helpful reviews by community opinion at the top

b) this probably takes more time to code etc. and right now I just want the reviewing situation to turn from abyssmal to bearable, every luxurious change coming after the fact is of course welcomed, but this change is probably a lot easier to implement.

That said, I think your idea is great, and come a medium-near future I would definitely like to see this implemented in one way or another.
Mar 29, 2018 11:13 AM

Jun 2017
I remember seeing you messaging those who posted their reviews early, trying to reason with them and make them play fair.

I try to write reviews myself (tho not good at it by any means) and it's frustrating seeing how my chances of possibly getting a couple of upvotes is ruined by those literally hunting for them. It's great to see how much are you fighting against those people, and I'll support your cause as much as I can by sharing it among the MAL people I know.

As for the suggestions, I thing they're fine as a starter idea. I believe they would get developped into something way greater than now if given the chance. I can't really provide my own opinions as of now, I'm not a very creative person. Though if I'll ever come across an idea of mine on this topic, I'll share it here straighaway.

In all honesty, I respect you for being so passionate about this. I really hope that your hard work will pay off one day, with the mods changing the review situation completely.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Mar 29, 2018 11:38 AM

Jun 2015
Energetic-Nova said:
code said:

Having an unhelpful does balance a lot out but such is life I guess.

Mar 29, 2018 2:30 PM

Feb 2016
@PizzaOnPineapple saw some of your conversation with Stark. And well, I have to agree with this. The amount of people wanting to top themselves is ludicrous, I have reported some early completed reviews before but, this time it was out of control. I've talked with Werty too about the same topic and I even made a support forum for this topic (which didn't get any attention) but your idea seems way better.

I do write reviews too (not as good, but I'm trying) Its sad that it looks like a race to see if someone reaches top first
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 29, 2018 2:36 PM

Jul 2016
HereticHunter said:
I do write reviews too (not as good, but I'm trying) Its sad that it looks like a race to see if someone reaches top first
Just a quick heads-up that my goal is to promote a reviewing environment in which it is less of a rivalry against all other reviewing the show, and more of people having fun writing to the best of their abilities and improving.

People have told me I have been improving really quickly, but as sappy as it sounds I couldn't have gotten any better had I not had the chance to talk to so many wonderful and first and foremost helpful people. It may just be wishful thinking, but I want to move on from the "this reviewer is good/bad" phase of MAL, especially seeing how different styles fit different people. However I don't think any of this is possible until at least bearable circumstances are established.
Mar 29, 2018 3:13 PM

Feb 2016
PizzaOnPineapple said:
HereticHunter said:
Just a quick heads-up that my goal is to promote a reviewing environment in which it is less of a rivalry against all other reviewing the show, and more of people having fun writing to the best of their abilities and improving.

People have told me I have been improving really quickly, but as sappy as it sounds I couldn't have gotten any better had I not had the chance to talk to so many wonderful and first and foremost helpful people. It may just be wishful thinking, but I want to move on from the "this reviewer is good/bad" phase of MAL, especially seeing how different styles fit different people. However I don't think any of this is possible until at least bearable circumstances are established.

Ah yes of course, that was just a thing someone told me when I first discovered this "gap" when you can post complete reviews, he told me that reviewing is not a race so I took that as an example.

Your ideas are great tho, I were about to say something else before but got distracted. Sometimes the very final episode can be really decisive for a review, so having a 24h gap after a show finishes would be a nice addition, that way you have more time to elaborate your final impressions over an anime.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Mar 31, 2018 7:47 AM

Jun 2016
code said:
Energetic-Nova said:

Having an unhelpful does balance a lot out but such is life I guess.

A bit off-topic, would it be possible to have some sort of comment section for each review? I don't think it would change much of the problems with the system but it gives the ability for users to comment and give their thoughts on the individual reviews. And by being able to see the feedback people had for certain reviews, it could allow for users passing by to see qualitative responses for specific reviews, giving a better insight for how accurate/valid a review is than a helpful/non-helpful ratio that can be abused rather easily.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2018 8:20 AM

Dec 2017
I'm pretty sure after some time they take down previews after a week or two. Also can't make a review before a set amount of time. Personally, I like writing reviews so people can read it.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 31, 2018 11:27 AM

Jul 2016
Botan-Chan45 said:
I'm pretty sure after some time they take down previews after a week or two. Also can't make a review before a set amount of time. Personally, I like writing reviews so people can read it.
The reviews do get removed, but it takes longer than just a few weeks for many cases, just by virtue of the modding queue (very obviously) being clogged. The thing is with the seasonal-centered consumption of anime, even if they eventually get removed, barely anyone reads your piece even if it is in the top 4. This will result in top 4s that don't even add up to 200 upvotes in the near future, which to me sounds utterly ridiculous for fairly poular titles.

As is, cheaters are getting the attention they oh so crave for and few people who submit their eligible reviews actually get heard.
Mar 31, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2015
And even you thought about it, if you just did not exclude -1, everything would make sense.

Mar 31, 2018 4:45 PM

Oct 2014
From my experience this season alone:
When the Junji Ito: Collection was marked as 'finished airing' about 12 hours after the final episode released worldwide, it gave me plenty of time to polish up my review and post it on an equal ground as everyone else's. 24 hours after would be ideal given staying up until midnight (in my timezone at least) isn't practical for everyone. But actual paid reviewers have to sit on their reviews until embargo's go up; typically forced to stay up until the crack of dawn waiting to post them legally.

And when the professionals break the rules it means they likely won't be able to post reviews until AFTER everyone else who follows the rules in the future. I don't want to be a big bad guy but it's just an idea to think on.
Apr 3, 2018 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
Karhu said:
Reviews need to be there when people complete the shows, not a day or a week after.
Reviews don't need to be out by X timeframe, that's super silly. As someone who reviews you too should know that most votes come over time, not on the day they're out. These reviews are oftentimes not for those who have seen the show, but for those who haven't (exceptions exist, but most reviews are like this).

The current guidelines already are flawed because they don't take into consideration leaks which happen all the time. Just today Overlord 2 finale was available before it aired in Japan. Why should reviewers have to wait X hours just to state their opinion. Seems silly.
What does this have to do with anything? Should we give people who legally watch anime a disadvantage? Should we give an advantage to japanese people who use the site and can see most anime earlier and vice versa if that happens once a blue moon? Why should we not give everyone a fair and equal playing field? Even then, you seem to think that reviewers write their reviews after the last episode. They don't. Why do I know? Because I am deeply envolved with the reviewing community and know most of the regulars in Top 4s. It is not that people should wait X hours to state t their opinion. I am saying we should create an equal playing field.

And the current system already gives terrible advantage to karma-whores and self-entitled poets because they come with mainstream appeal, but there is no way to balance it out with unhelpful votes anymore. Pretty much what <Energetic-Nova> said.
You see, poeple say this, but all it results in is people upvoting reviews with scores they want AND downvoting those that dont fit their ideas. This would only enhance the problem you properly adress right after. But first of all, good job calling people "karma-whores". Weren't you the person who deleted their Kokkoku review because noone was gonna read it? Also the hell is a "self-entitled poet"? Just because people's writing preferences don't align with yours, they are worse? Is that what you're trying to say?

I think much more important change to this system would be to delete ratings given from reviews completely. This way people would more likely actually read the reviews instead of blindly farming votes to whatever score they agree with.
You know, I see where you're coming from. People who vote based on the insignificant number in the top right (which means sth differet for every person) are a problem. However, I don't think such a radical approach works.

Anyhow, you were also one of the people who submitted a Yorimoi review early. You claimed there was an openload stream you found on reddit, but could neither name the subreddit nor provide the now apparently dead link. Meanwhile, the raws went up more than a dozen hours later on torrenting sites—the sites these anime streaming sites get their video from. Since you deleted the comments, here a screenshot as reminder:

To me it comes as no surprise you aren't a big fan of the propsed changes.
PitzerApr 3, 2018 12:03 PM
Apr 3, 2018 1:45 PM

Jul 2016
Karhu said:
@

>Reviews don't need to be out by X timeframe, that's super silly.

What's the point on having reviews written after the first 4 episodes on the front page for the next 24 hours after show ends?
What's the point in submitting reviews before the show ended? If you actually read my post I said that Request 1 > Request 2, which you seem to fully ignore.

I am not sure how this community of yours works, but these tend to be hugboxes/circlejerk where only one type of opinions echo, so it is no wonder majority of people in it act the same way. It doesn't necessarily represent other reviewers. If anything, maybe shows how hopeless the reviewing situation on this site is.
Nice assumption, but we are quite literally a club that acts like metacritic with member-submitted reviews. The members range from prose-heavy to 10k textwall-analysis, to standard bread-and-butter reviews. Even then, your 3-gatsu review was submitted directly after the show ended (which you also deleted bcs no votes), so you are 100% the same. And yes, the current reviewing situation is bad. Which is why we are trying to change it? Like, that's the point of this.

>Weren't you the person who deleted their Kokkoku review because noone was gonna read it?

Review that isn't being read serves no purpose.
TFW you only care about your reviews if they have a lot of votes but still call other people karma-whore.

> Also the hell is a "self-entitled poet"? Just because people's writing preferences don't align with yours, they are worse? Is that what you're trying to say?

I believe I said they are at advantage because a lot of the most popular reviews on this site are written in this manner. Copying the same style will benefit newcomers, don't you think. Arent you also the guy who said there is only one 3-Gatsu no Lion S2 review other than yours worth of reading? I don't claim my reviews are any good, but I do think the adjective-rich romanticization is the worst way to write anything.
Like, point me to any Top 4 where this is the case. There is barely any prose-heavy reviewers in the top 10, and even then, prose-heavy reviews are a lot harder to write than entry-level analysis (which takes me 7-10h vs 2h,l but analysis had more upvoters). Also nice meme, Ima just post the screenshot of what you are referring to:

This was after the person I was adressing said that he didnt yet read the other reviews. Like, this is obviously a joke bcs he liked mine and thus I said the other worthwhile review is the one I was also involved in. I haven't even read the other reviews because as a panelist in a review-centered club I have too many reviews to read either way.

Either way, Zeph just sent this thread to a few mods and we re waiting for a response from the higher ups.
Apr 3, 2018 7:34 PM

May 2014
Intriguing post. I also have become sort of exasperated with the current state of the review system. As others have said, its basically become a race to submit as soon as possible and gather the most helpful votes. The loss of quality reviews due to this is quite unfortunate. And don't even get me started on writing a review on an older anime. It's basically impossible to get any recognition for those. At least with the old helpful/unhelpful system, new reviews on older shows were always featured in the top four for at least a short period. Now there's really no point in writing on the older stuff if you're the type of person who wants their review to be noticed.

Of course, I'm too lazy to actually come up with my own solutions to these problems, so hats off to you for actually caring enough to try and implement change in an inefficient system!
Apr 4, 2018 9:38 AM

Aug 2015
I guess some people will never learn.

Apr 4, 2018 12:23 PM

Jul 2016
Karhu said:
KurataLordStage said:

All of those reviews were posted after the raws were out.

The first one to post a review for Violet Evergarden was Stark.

You purposely excluded Stark's review from this picture (he was on the top when you took it and still is on top) for a reason which I am sure we all know.

Not sure what anyone was supposed to learn. Would you care to explain?
The raws were out exactly one hour after the episode aired. On torrent sites. Streaming sites took 2 hours. No need to lie.

Those reviewers have not even seen the raws.
Apr 4, 2018 12:32 PM

Oct 2014
I feel japed for waiting... like the person we were rallying behind was never on our side but just waiting for us to step aside and make way for them.

Karhu said:
KurataLordStage said:

All of those reviews were posted after the raws were out.

The first one to post a review for Violet Evergarden was Stark.

You purposely excluded Stark's review from this picture (he was on the top when you took it and still is on top) for a reason which I am sure we all know.

Not sure what anyone was supposed to learn. Would you care to explain?

Stark watches them as they air, he hasn't posted early in the past even when others don't hesitate to. I would tell you to do some research before making claims, but I think we've all read at least one of your reviews by now.
Apr 4, 2018 12:39 PM

Jul 2016
RebelPanda said:
I feel japed for waiting... like the person we were rallying behind was never on our side but just waiting for us to step aside and make way for them.
In case you mean me, unlike the people who posted hours before me, I actually watched the episode.
Apr 4, 2018 12:42 PM

Oct 2014
PizzaOnPineapple said:
RebelPanda said:
In case you mean me, unlike the people who posted hours before me, I actually watched the episode.

Oh, you did? I believe you because I know you're not like the others... I wasn't talking about you btw, Pizza
Mind if I ask where you caught it?
Apr 4, 2018 12:52 PM

Jul 2016
Guys, don't turn this into a "falling out between reviewers thread", plese move these discussions to PM or profile comments.
Apr 4, 2018 12:54 PM

Oct 2014
PizzaOnPineapple said:
RebelPanda said:

Oh, you did? I believe you because I know you're not like the others... I wasn't talking about you btw, Pizza
Mind if I ask where you caught it?
I donwloaded the raws from torrenting sites. They were uploaded exactly one hour after the episode aired. The episode itself is pretty straightforward in how it plays out, the conflict introduced in ep 12 gets resolved in a very dramatic way and then after [negotiations] are successful, happy shenanigans ensue.

This comment will self-destruct in half an hour bcs spoilers and doesnt add anything to discussion.

Oh ok found it, thanks. :P you don't have to defend yourself I believe you, really.
May 5, 2018 9:28 PM

Jan 2018
Maybe this would stop all the negative bait reviews getting the top spots on nearly every popular seasonal nowadays.
Aug 27, 2019 4:58 AM

Nov 2014
While I agree that the whole review rush is annoying and it stopped me from writting them for popular shows, I don't think that solution is good enough. If anything, we need change to the whole front page of reviews - something like default sorting being set to "newest" and people having to click "most helpful" manually every time.
Aug 27, 2019 8:46 PM

Oct 2014
MAL lists anime as completed the second the last episode airs in Japan which is several hours before anyone in the West will ever watch that episode so making it so that there's a delay for reviews would make a lot of sense.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
9 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.