Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2018 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
Here in MAL, only a few harem anime have a score over 8. Is there a good reason for this? Well, yes.

To me, this is the reason why most harem anime is sort of a love or hate genre:
+ A bland protagonist in terms of personality or looks (whether boy or girl)
+ Several character cliches like the loli, tsundere, childhood friend, imouto, the sexy guy (this is mainly for reverse harems), etc.
+ A somewhat, plain and simple plot just to make way for the fanservice.
+ A generic art style
+ Moe-style op or ed where the main characters sing (not really a bad thing though)
+ And worst of all, repetitive fanservice. I'm not saying it's bad to have fanservice, but most harem has the same stupid cliches of panty shots, boob squeezing and underwear scenes! No wonder why most harem are also fall under the ecchi genre.

While most harem anime aren't that great, some are so damn good like Ouran High School Host Club and The World God Only Knows (the latter is one of my personal favorites).

So yeah, in terms of quality most harem have quite a lot of problems. You may answer some of these questions:
+ Are harems good or bad?
+ What are some of the best harems you've seen?
+ What are your problems about the harem genre?

Note: Anime that has a harem as only a sub-plot do not count. So anime like Bakemonogatari, A Certain Magical Index and most importantly, Sword Art Online are out.

Here's a link if you're not sure which shows are considered to be harem.
removed-userMar 27, 2018 11:49 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2018 11:21 PM

Jul 2015
I hate them

Why?
>beta cuck mc
>tsunbitch female lead
>best girl never wins

Best harem anime I have seen?
Twgok
Mar 27, 2018 11:30 PM

Oct 2015
Cause there are a lot of anime that is better in characters and story

But one that is significant improvement from others is Shuffle!, which had decent drama.

Plus...a score of 7.6 isn't bad.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 27, 2018 11:31 PM

Aug 2015
KawaiiPotato1412 said:

+ Name some flaws about the harem genre.

1 Mostly bad with few exceptions
2 Those anime that has a harem as only a sub-plot and do not count: Bakemonogatari, A Certain Magical Index and The World God Only Knows (has a harem as only a sub-plot as well btw)
3 Lack of proper story, typical characters, the whole idea of "a lot of girls fall in love in one regular guy for no reason" looks like someone's wet dreams
Mar 27, 2018 11:35 PM

May 2009
it depends on the series, basically
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 27, 2018 11:45 PM

Feb 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Yeah. I don't get this primal urge to stereotype or generalize about anime.

I typically do not like horror films. They're just not my thing. But I'm not going to claim they're all the same or they're all bad just because I don't like them.

Typically, people who make these kinds of generalizations simply don't know what they're talking about and it's easily evident by their lack of detail and their generic criticisms.

"Bad story, cliche characters, tropes, etc." These are the same kinds of lazy criticisms people throw around at anything they don't like either because they haven't actually seen it or because they haven't taken the time to think about what they're viewing.

It's like when people who hate a certain film before seeing it go to see it already having decided that they hate it just to get the cred of seeing it, as if that gives their empty criticism any more weight.

Mar 27, 2018 11:45 PM

Apr 2016
@KawaiiPotato1412
Personally, I don't like them. It's understandable that I don't like them since I believe a harem's primary purpose is to allow the viewer to project themselves onto this bland protagonist.

With that in mind, I think you covered most of the issues with harem anime, and these issues are created with the purpose I mentioned in mind.

- The protagonist is bland so we can project ourselves onto them.
- The assortment of different cliche character types is to ensure that they represent a variety amongst the characters and cater to different tastes in imaginary mates (Imagine a harem of all tsunderes. Not everyone likes tsunderes). XD XD
- My guess, most of the art effort is put into the romantic interests and anything else gets second-banana.
-Wouldn't call that too generic just yet. (The openings)
- It's pretty clear why there's a lot of fan service. Remember, a lot of anime and manga need to be pitched to a group of suits for funding and show that they can make money and get people to watch/read it. Fanservice is just a cheap trick to get those views

I haven't explored the genre enough to see a good one. I just feel like it's kinda similar to a survival genre; the makeup of the genre dooms itself to be mediocre at best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2018 11:48 PM

Oct 2017
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
Here in MAL, only a few harem anime have a score over 8. Is there a good reason for this? Well, a few

MAL scores are absurd, referring to it is a terrible example...
As for the fanservice that, you mentioned is also stupid, but I'm not gonna argue about it. You could always refer the prev threads related to fanservice...
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
+ Name some flaws about the harem genre.

- Harems are usually good...
- To Love ru, High School DxD, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka,...
- There aren't much flaws in harem anime, except that the best girl doesn't win (meaning either the childhood friend or the tsundere wins which is kinda absurd since other girls don't get a chance..).
Mar 27, 2018 11:54 PM

Feb 2013
the problem is that the best harem series like zetsubou sensei, monogatari, steins gate, etc dont get the tag on myanimelist...
Mar 28, 2018 12:12 AM
Apr 2016
romagia said:
the problem is that the best harem series like zetsubou sensei, monogatari, steins gate, etc dont get the tag on myanimelist...
romagia said:
please explain how is Stein gate a harem?
Mar 28, 2018 12:14 AM

Feb 2013
AddiTeacha2 said:
romagia said:
romagia said:
please explain how is Stein gate a harem?
tuturu and kurisu are a given
and in the second half he also has nice scene with moeka and twintails and maybe suzu too i dont remember

the structure of the main cast is also clearly harem-like, as is with most vn adaptations
Mar 28, 2018 12:15 AM

Jan 2012
I generally like harems, but there are a few common flaws that can make them less enjoyable:

* MC who's thick as a brick and can never really get close to any girl.
* Overplayed cliches like falling into crotch, falling crotch on face, walking in while bathing, etc.
* Best girl never wins, or - worse still - no girl wins. They're just stuck in limbo without any relationship being pursued with any girl(s): no character route end, no harem route end - it's the cop-out ending.

Best Harem: Kanokon
NyaaMar 28, 2018 12:27 AM
Mar 28, 2018 12:42 AM
Jan 2015
Harem anime are actually of one my lowest rated genres tbh. There are some gems here and there, but most of them I find to be mediocre and in some cases terrible. I usually find harem works better when its just a minor part of series.
My Queens

Mar 28, 2018 12:57 AM
May 2017
Have you ever watched a harem and thought to yourself, "The MC is so obviously gay!" (There's nothing wrong with that of course.)

I was watching Ranma 1/2 and the whole time I thought Ranma was gay.
Mar 28, 2018 1:08 AM
Jul 2015
Harem Anime are boring IMHO because the MC only interacts with females.

Nobody in real life can relate to shows where MC only interacts with females, with not one male friend. I have not been in the military, but those who have, would clearly understand since they mostly have comrades of the same gender fighting with them without any one of the opposite gender as a close comrade.

That's why I prefer a cast that is gender balanced, as we could get boring if we see the MC interacting with only those from the same gender or opposite gender.

Even if I were to be transported to an Isekai and attend only an all-girls school, I would probably feel stressed out at not having one male friend that I could talk equally with.

We need to have close friends/close comrades from both genders. That's why I like the LN Kenja no Mago, as it's a non-harem series with the MC having a girlfriend and some male friends/comrades too. Darling in the Franxx is also such a show with a gender balanced cast, and Franxx IMHO is a million times more superior and entertaining than ALL HAREM CRAP.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 28, 2018 1:13 AM

Aug 2017
there is no problems with harem anime and anyone who says otherwise is wrong
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2018 1:19 AM

Oct 2013
I don't like harem genre, but kaminomi is an exception lol
Mar 28, 2018 1:21 AM
Jul 2015
Guys, have any of you read this Japanese thread talking about Harems ? >> http://seiyufan.livedoor.biz/archives/8745798.html

Quote : ワイ、ヒロイン一人派「ハーレムはいらない!ハーレムアニメはこの世から消えてなくなれ!」

1 風吹けば名無し 02:59:06.87 ID:QyU4sudVr
ワイはヒロインを一人にしてその一人に対してのみ愛情を注いで欲しいんや

そのヒロインと結ばれる過程をじっくり深くそれでいてちゃんと段階を踏んでもらいたいんや

ハーレムが蔓延るこの世界を変えるべきや!革命や!

My Comment : Totally agree with him. I hope there will be more LN series like Kenja no Mago, where the MC only has One Heroine, and his male friends also have their own loyal grills, because I fear that one day Kenja no Mago will finish serialization.

If Kenja no Mago finishes serialization, I will literally not have any other LNs I can read and look forward to that is fantasy magic action genre but non-harem with cool non-MC male characters having their own loyal girls. What is the solution ( When Mago finishes serialization ) ? Write my own fantasy novel non-harem series where MC and all his male friends each gets their own loyal girls.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 28, 2018 1:22 AM

Feb 2018
romagia said:

Steins gate isn't a harem lol two characters being interested in the Mc and the Mc chosing one isn't what I would call a harem
Mar 28, 2018 1:56 AM

Jan 2018
xShinigami3125 said:
romagia said:

Steins gate isn't a harem lol two characters being interested in the Mc and the Mc chosing one isn't what I would call a harem
mayu doesn't count? or ruka doesn't count?

兵家
"Green how I want you green. Green wind. Green branches."
Mar 28, 2018 2:00 AM

Feb 2018
Yusnanism said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Kurisu and Ruka like Okabe Mayu is simply a friend or did I miss something?
Mar 28, 2018 2:04 AM

Jan 2018
xShinigami3125 said:
Yusnanism said:

i thought it was more than that. but.. nevermind lmao
just different point of view...

兵家
Mar 28, 2018 2:06 AM

Feb 2018
Yusnanism said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Ah Okey good cuz u had me scared for a moment xd I thought I had missed something that vital in my favorites series.
Mar 28, 2018 2:21 AM

Jan 2018
xShinigami3125 said:
Yusnanism said:
Ah Okey good cuz u had me scared for a moment xd I thought I had missed something that vital in my favorites series.
nah, you hadn't.. or it was us who had missing something? lmao

兵家
Mar 28, 2018 2:34 AM

Mar 2015
the main problem with Harem anime is they are mostly poorly funded ads that make them only adapting early part which is where the cast intorduced that make it cliche and neglecting later part where it become it's own...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 28, 2018 2:43 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KawaiiPotato1412 said:

+ And worst of all, repetitive fanservice. I'm not saying it's bad to have fanservice, but most harem has the same stupid cliches of panty shots, boob squeezing and underwear scenes! No wonder why most harem are also fall under the ecchi genre.

and worst of all

yay.. here we go... its always the fanservice that has to be the biggest target

excuse me? is there something wrong with fanservice cliche's? cause you just named a few things that i love seeing

i swear in so many threads discussing anime that likely has fanservice.. its as though its MANDATORY to throw in SOMETHING negative about it as if its just a bad thing by default

No wonder why most harem are also fall under the ecchi genre.

oh? is this another bad thing?

thanks asshole.. i'll just consider this another ecchi/fanservice thread in disguise

EcchiGodMamsterMar 28, 2018 2:47 AM
Mar 28, 2018 2:50 AM

Apr 2015
The problem with harem anime is that, there's not enough of it.
Mar 28, 2018 3:26 AM

Oct 2013
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
Well bland mc can indeed be a problem but its not exactly limited to harem anime
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
+ Several character cliches like the loli, tsundere, childhood friend, imouto, the sexy guy, etc.
Everything in anime is some kind of cliche so thats not a legit critic for who ever uses that just saying
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
+ A somewhat, plain and simple plot just to make way for the fan service.
I don't know what you mean by simple but "plot complexity" doesn't really matter. If the authors wants to put in fan service they easily can
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
+ A generic art style
Again most of everything is generic so not a critic
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
Ecchi isn't actually a genre though. Its just a term that the West uses for when they deem an anime to have a certain amount of ecchi
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
While most harem anime aren't that great, some are so damn good like Ouran High School Host Club and The World God Only Knows (the latter is one of my personal favorites).
If we just base the amount of harem anime you've seen of the 348 on MAL you've only seen 6 harems so honestly its hard to take what you say seriously here
https://graph.anime.plus/KawaiiPotato1412/favorites,anime
KawaiiPotato1412 said:
Note: Anime that has a harem as only a sub-plot do not count. So anime like Bakemonogatari, A Certain Magical Index and most importantly, Sword Art Online are out.
They do indeed count. At the very least all 3 you mentioned count as harem. When this many girls like the MC you can't say its not a harem

Mar 28, 2018 3:31 AM

Mar 2012
The most important problem of harem anime is that second season of Rokujouma not existing. All problem will be solved if Rokujouma is fully adapted.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 28, 2018 3:33 AM

Mar 2015
The problem is that there's not enough good reverse harems.
Mar 28, 2018 3:43 AM

Jun 2016
I tend to hate harem with passion, particulary the ones where the mc is boring as fuck but there are still a lot of girls in 'love' with him, i mean, there is no logical answer as to why that could possibly happen so it just makes me cringe since it seems forced romance with fanservice.
So yeah, because most of the animes in that category are just as i said before, i don't have a positive reaction when i see the word harem.
Mar 28, 2018 4:08 AM

Jan 2017
Excluding my top harem shows, all other harems are kitschy imo and i watch lots of them.
Mar 28, 2018 4:29 AM

Nov 2014
I just find them boring, five girls want the MC's dick and the MC will try and find reasons not to have sex with any of them because his balls haven't dropped yet, I don't see the point. Maybe it's also because I can't self insert and fap to other people's creations.
Forum Signature
Mar 28, 2018 4:35 AM

Sep 2017
there are some good ones but most are boring schlock (saber marionette j) or retarded, but still enjoyable, but retarded (like highschool dxd) but there are some good ones like the two op mentioned (which were what i was going to mention)
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 28, 2018 4:45 AM

Aug 2017
Well, I only enjoy watching good harem with decent mc, those who don't nosebleed on slight exposure, like DxD, Date a live.
I read harem novels as animes mostly doesn't do justice to them.
Mar 28, 2018 7:54 AM
Jul 2015
While I do agree somewhat with what that Japanese poster said about wanting to see no more harem series being made, I'd like to add an exception.

That exception is, if the MC's best friend, or a 2nd male character in the show gets his own harem too of a minimum of 3 girls romantically interested in that guy. If 2 guys in the main cast each gets their harem with both groups or characters from both groups getting good or near-equal screentime, then I'all all for a 2 Male Lead Harem show.

That way, we won't feel jealous compared to if only 1 guy getting a harem.

Of course, I prefer both to be on the same side ( good guy side ), like in the Visual Novel, Venus Blood Ragnarok, where the MC gets more than 6 females into his harem, including his sister and Osananajimi character ( the girl with horns), and with the 2nd male character Loki getting 3 girls in his own harem where those 3 girls will only do it with Loki instead of the MC Vari as they like Loki only.
Mar 28, 2018 8:10 AM

Oct 2012
Sorry to generalize, but I do hate most harem anime I've seen. Girls Bravo, Monster Musume, Rosario to Vampire, could not stand these shows. For me it's just the repetitive and bland humor that is the main problem. Fan service, bad plot, all fine if you can make me laugh. But the humor is so terrible and repetitive in these shows. Like, I get that humor is extremely subjective and part of that is cultural, but there is no excuse for how repetitive these jokes are.
Mar 28, 2018 8:32 AM

Mar 2017
KawaiiPotato1412 said:

So yeah, in terms of quality most harem have quite a lot of problems. You may answer some of these questions:
+ What are your problems about the harem genre?

=Depends if the ones added to the harem get any development before/after being a part of said harem. Bad ones are usually the ones where they get added because the MC is the only one they consider the opposite gender.
=First one that came to mind was Zero no Tsukaima, but I feel that TWGOK deserves being the best one. For reverse harems I don't know much but the way the Ouran anime ended was pretty nice.
=Hmmmm...
KawaiiPotato1412 said:

+ Several character cliches like the loli, tsundere, childhood friend, imouto, the sexy guy (this is mainly for reverse harems), etc.
+ A somewhat, plain and simple plot just to make way for the fanservice.
+ A generic art style
+ Moe-style op or ed where the main characters sing

An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Mar 28, 2018 8:37 AM
Jul 2015
Guys, do you remember my number one reason why I hate harem anime ? It's due to this reason, as this Japanese thread maker posted >> http://ace-ch.net/articles/20439.html

Quote : ハーレム系アニメが嫌いな理由:1位は「主人公だけ得をしているから」

Yeah, because only the MC benefits.

But, I won't feel jealous but instead happy if it's a Multiple Couples show, where MC gets his one GF, and his male friend(s) also gets their own loyal girls, like in Kenja no Mago.

A show with 2 Males in the Main Cast both from the same good guy side each getting their own harems would also please me, as in this case, not just the MC or one MC benefits, but 2 males each equally benefits from getting their own harems.

In that thread, this poster only prefers if one male, the MC gets all the girls >>
Quote :

14 : 名無しのエース 2013-08-17 14:49ID:M2IwYmRi
主人公と一体化するとモテモテ気分を味わえて気持ちいい

カプ厨は赤の他人が恋愛してる様を見て何が楽しいんだ
それを眺めてニヤニヤするのって客観的に見て気色

To that poster, this poster below replied >>

17 : 名無しのエース 2013-08-17 21:46ID:YWY0YjNi
米14
主人公と一体化する妄想のどこが楽しいんだ
ヒロインが自分にベタベタ惚れる妄想してニヤニヤしてるのって客観的に見て気色悪いよ?

色んなキャラの色んな恋愛の様子が1つの世界観で繰り広げられるのが面白いのにな
お前みたいな自分本位で他人の幸せなんて一切考えられないクズじゃないとハーレム物は楽しめないってことか

My Comment : Indeed. Much more fun and interesting to watch myriad characters' romance stories in one world environment within the story, therefore Multiple Couples or 2 Male Leads each getting their own harems provides for a more interesting and lively setting, because that would make the story revolve less around one guy, and instead provide chances for a 2nd guy or multiple guys other than the MC to have their own spotlight moments.

Because I have a best friend in my school days, and hate it if only one male benefits and has all the luck with all the ladies in a story.

If another guy also gets equal benefits, than it would make it seem like as if both me and my best friend also equally benefits. Kinda like sharing the happiness together ?

That psychological state is actually explored in the Isekai Light Novel, Kenja no Mago, where the Heroine's Best Friend character, the red-haired girl, gets jealous at her best friend getting a boyfriend but she yet to get one. An ideal outcome is if that girl also gets her own BF, but she has yet to get one, as even though she would make a good couple with MC's friend the Prince, the prince already has a fiancee so he can't take her in as his waifu.

However even in real life, it's hard for both male best friends to each get their own GFs at the same time or within the same year or short time frame after the 1st friend has gotten his romantic partner, and the same likewise for female best friends. Since it's hard to meet ideal outcomes in real life, it's OK to seek ideal outcomes in fiction, so that's why I'd like to see both the MC and his same gender friend each getting their own equal luck with getting their own romantic partners for both of them.

In other words, those who hate harems are envious at the MC getting all the luck with the ladies, with no other males that can match the MC's luck to create balance, since males are competitive beings and hate it when others of the same gender gets all the benefits with no other rivals present to get the same luck as that one male.

Mar 28, 2018 10:38 AM

May 2009
Saucy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Yeah. I don't get this primal urge to stereotype or generalize about anime.

I typically do not like horror films. They're just not my thing. But I'm not going to claim they're all the same or they're all bad just because I don't like them.

Typically, people who make these kinds of generalizations simply don't know what they're talking about and it's easily evident by their lack of detail and their generic criticisms.

"Bad story, cliche characters, tropes, etc." These are the same kinds of lazy criticisms people throw around at anything they don't like either because they haven't actually seen it or because they haven't taken the time to think about what they're viewing.

It's like when people who hate a certain film before seeing it go to see it already having decided that they hate it just to get the cred of seeing it, as if that gives their empty criticism any more weight.
On a tangent: I gotta say I definitely agree with you when it comes to the general topic of "criticizing stuff you don't know". I see exactly this same pattern when people who don't play 2D platformer games complain about 2D platformer games, saying that they're "simple" and "could be programmed in half an hour" and that they're all "clones" of (say) Mario and Mega Man, etc..

This isn't to say that they can't have their opinion. They certainly can. It's certainly a valid opinion to not like 2D platformers, or to not like harem anime, or to not like any given thing. But we should be honest about what our opinions are based on.

(back on topic)

I can comment on harem anime, but my comment should only be allowed to go so far as those series I have seen, which appears (by my records) to be the following:

Absolute Duo (completed)
Asobi ni Iku yo! (dropped)
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (dropped)
Date A Live (dropped)
DearS (dropped)
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (completed)
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season (on hold)
High School DxD New (dropped)
Hundred (completed)
Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone. (completed)

(thanks to graph.anime.plus for compiling this list)

Based on these, I'd say I neither hate nor love the harem genre as a whole.

I don't like it when it's combined with fanservice, but that's because I don't like fanservice (e.g. DearS, Highschool DxD).

I do appreciate Yosuga no Sora, because it's presented very thoughtfully and with a focus on character interactions and character development.

I also enjoy it if the characters/setting are entertaining enough and there's good enough music to go along with the ride, such as in Absolute Duo. On the other hand, if I dislike the characters (e.g. Haganai, Date a Live), then I'll end up disliking the series.

But overall I don't think I really am a big fan of it. One key thing I liked about Absolute Duo is that it ended up with a pretty stable romantic pairing. If anything I'm a bigger fan of magic battle school shenanigans.
GlennMagusHarveyMar 28, 2018 10:43 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 28, 2018 10:39 AM
Dec 2013

Good. I prefer them over some stupid love-triangle bullshit in some random romance anime that isn't a harem.

Haganai, Kore wa Zombie Desu ka, To Love-Ru + Darkness, but I think Omamori Himari is my favourite out of all the harem anime I've seen, mostly because of there being a cat-girl in it.

What are your problems about the harem genre?

Incomplete adaptations and the tsundere sometimes winning in the end.
wildhoodMar 28, 2018 10:49 AM
Mar 28, 2018 10:41 AM

Feb 2017
haha best girls need to win more often also does it hurt to let the childhood friend win for once -.-
アニメ幼女見てるのが楽しい
Mar 28, 2018 10:45 AM
Jul 2015
I think the only harem anime I genuinely like even now after I became jaded towards them, it is Campione.

It's also one of those rare anime series where the harem MC is not a spineless piece of shit and where the best girl actually gets a major lead compared to the others. Even so, I wouldn't watch it again.

Nowadays I can tell like 90 percent of the time if an anime is a harem or not just by looking at its cover lol. For the cases where I start an anime that was not tagged with harem and it actually is one, there is only 1 course of action:
- instantly dropped
- scored with 1
Apr 1, 2018 7:48 AM

Jul 2015
I've watched my fair share of harems, and many people mistake them for wish fulfillment, when in most cases it's the opposite. As many end with the tsundere wining, or no girl wining. A "protagonist" that is too modest. And hyper sexualized situations that highlight the absurdity of having multiple people chase after you. It's pretty much porn too.
Apr 1, 2018 7:57 AM

Jan 2018
It's all subjective, I don't see a point in generalizing it. I don't watch horror movies but I already rewatch thirteen ghost many times.

If the plot is done right, it will be good to watch. Sometimes it has to be silly to avoid female fans hating it. I could argue that few of harem shows exist to emphasize the what if situations that a normal teenage boy would do in those situations.
hazecloudApr 1, 2018 8:00 AM
Apr 1, 2018 8:00 AM
Oct 2017
tragedydesu said:
I hate them

Why?
>beta cuck mc
>tsunbitch female lead
>best girl never wins

Best harem anime I have seen?
Twgok
[quote=tragedydesu]

I see you are a man of culture aswell huh
Apr 1, 2018 8:20 AM

Sep 2014
well there's plenty of generic trash like in any genre

highschool dxd is miles better than all your favourites though and doesn't satisfy most of your reasons
Apr 1, 2018 8:49 AM

Sep 2016
The 2 biggest problems with harem anime are:

1) There aren't enough of them.
2) Too many people hold them to more strict, or higher standards than other anime.

The same criticisms people sometimes use for these shows can also be applied to some of their favorites, but they refuse to recognize that, even when someone else points it out to them.

If you don't like harem, fine, then move along. There's plenty of people who'll watch them in your stead.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Apr 1, 2018 8:50 AM

Aug 2013
i usually hate harem. they're never funny and the mcs are always so dull and dense. yes, there are some gems in this crap genre but you literally have to wade through hundreds of harems with the same characters AND plot to find one good one. don't even get me started on the ecchi. being bombarded with panty shots, impossibly large boobs, and etc. makes me super uncomfortable because 99% of the time these characters are under aged.. yea it's anime.. but still.. big yuck. it's hard for me to enjoy that.
Apr 1, 2018 8:50 AM

Jul 2017
I just don't like harem genre because 99% of the time it's not even a harem. Most of these so called "harem" series end with either no conclusion or the only the "main" girl winning. It's why I like the ending of Shinmai Maou no Testament which ended recently. Spoilers for the final volume below.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
46 seconds ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 42 minutes ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

29 by Absurdo_N »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.