Forum Settings
Forums

Tag used for Comments / I use this section wrong

New
Mar 27, 2018 12:12 PM
May 2016
Hi, first post after using this site for 2 years. woo!

So, on top of using MAL to track anime, when I'm done with a show, I like to give it a couple lines in review or synopsis. This is so when I have friends that are like, "I don't know what to watch." I can link them to my anime list, and they get my ratings plus some comments about what the shows about, or why it might be good. Peep my list if you're curious what I mean by that.

Currently, the best way to do this is in the tag section because it's visible.
Not sure why, but the Comment field is buried under "more" and there's no way to change this, I tried, there's no option to have the comments field shown.
And when you go to someone elses list, you actually cant see their comments either, just yours, So you just see someones rating with zero context.

Can this be a thing? I don't want to write full on review shows, just some notes to guide those that want to know at a glace what I thought about something.

Also it would be very nice to be able to access and edit Comments through the MAL app. Currently I use "Pocket MAL" on android because it lets me edit tags vs MAL official which doesn't even let me do that.

Does anyone else use MAL like this? using Tag's for micro reviews vs what it's actually designed for?
Mar 27, 2018 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
They should add the comment field like this image

Which would help a lot as than we could use comments and not tags which is used for wrong purposes.

I don't do it personally but I have seen people do it.
Mar 27, 2018 12:35 PM
May 2016
yup, that's exactly what I want.
Mar 27, 2018 3:39 PM

Jan 2017
KonkaBass said:
Hi, first post after using this site for 2 years. woo!

So, on top of using MAL to track anime, when I'm done with a show, I like to give it a couple lines in review or synopsis. This is so when I have friends that are like, "I don't know what to watch." I can link them to my anime list, and they get my ratings plus some comments about what the shows about, or why it might be good. Peep my list if you're curious what I mean by that.

Currently, the best way to do this is in the tag section because it's visible.
Not sure why, but the Comment field is buried under "more" and there's no way to change this, I tried, there's no option to have the comments field shown.
And when you go to someone elses list, you actually cant see their comments either, just yours, So you just see someones rating with zero context.

Can this be a thing? I don't want to write full on review shows, just some notes to guide those that want to know at a glace what I thought about something.

Also it would be very nice to be able to access and edit Comments through the MAL app. Currently I use "Pocket MAL" on android because it lets me edit tags vs MAL official which doesn't even let me do that.

Does anyone else use MAL like this? using Tag's for micro reviews vs what it's actually designed for?

I know what you mean, and yes it would be nice if comments were a visible field on someones list.

Due to it not being available as such on here, most people use the 'comments' section as just small short notes to themself - if they use it at all (I don't).

They use the 'tags' section as a replacement to comments since it can be visible, which I see you're already aware of.

As of right now, no matter what you try you cannot get the comments section visible as you're talking about.

But I like the suggestion, so you have my vote.

Mar 28, 2018 1:19 AM

Dec 2012
By now I've seen many people who use the tag section for small reviews or personal comments. I also like to add thoughts there, like things I enjoyed or disliked about the anime/manga.
I would definitely like to see a separate comment section, but I don't think this will happen anytime soon. There are so many other things that should have a much higher priority to get changed or fixed :/
Mar 28, 2018 1:41 AM

Oct 2017
Well, you could use the blog feature too for "micro" reviews....
Oct 17, 2020 7:24 PM

Oct 2019
I was confused as well because this seemed redundant. Either have tags or comments for anime titles, pick one, I thought. What’s the point of having both. It should be visible to people browsing your list- in this case, tags are ideal.
Nov 2, 2020 3:08 PM
Jan 2015
I´m used to write in the tags too, cause it´s the only way my friends can see it, so idk, I´ll continue using it but who knows? lol, if it´s the wrong way to do it I can change it, but rn I´m ok with it ;-;
Nov 3, 2020 12:08 AM

Jan 2020
I personally use the "Tag" function instead of "Comment" as well.
Nov 6, 2020 3:29 PM

Aug 2013
KatsutoSaki said:
Well, you could use the blog feature too for "micro" reviews....

The point is he wants it to be in ppls face when they look his list

Joke aside. I completely agree. Getting actual comments and being able to use tags as intended would be lovely
Nov 6, 2020 7:25 PM

Feb 2010
Tags is great for mini-reviews, but it's coded in a way that makes it a bit awkward and there is a text limit. Also, tags SHOULD be for just tags so you can search a list based on a tag.

For the benefit of a lot of users and to make lists more fun, I would like it if there was a new plaintext Comments column (next to Tags) for mini-reviews that also allowed BBcode. Maybe it could extend when you clicked the bottom of it in case you wanted a detailed review. With BBcode, we could put the anime song or clips in there if its on Youtube there as well.
Jul 3, 2021 1:56 AM

Feb 2014
I do the tags the same way, inside my lists it's the most convenient feature for myself to keep in mind what shows were like or eg. how they ended up on my to-read/to-watch list
L had a poster of Norman in his room

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

4 by Euthymia_Gerv »»
6 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.