Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2018 7:28 PM

Dec 2015
Why do people avoid fanfics like plague? Because they're poorly written? Because they disrespect the original source? What about fanfics that are written better than original works then (such as most of the case here; many original stories posted here ain't better than fanfics)? What if those fanfics actually attract new fans to the original source?
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Mar 23, 2018 7:51 PM

May 2015
I don't pay them much mind because they have no relevancy to the original source. It just doesn't sit right with me knowing it's not what actually happened or would happen, so why bother. That's the way I see it at least, it's hard to tell my mind otherwise, even if I try to.
I've never seen any hate towards fanfic though tbh
Mar 23, 2018 8:01 PM

Jun 2015
Because they're usually written to satisfy one's own fantasies while alienating everyone else or the dignity of the material they're based on.
Mar 23, 2018 8:06 PM

Jun 2015
The ships, no relevance, the ships, poor writing most of the time and most importantly, the ships.
Mar 23, 2018 8:11 PM
Dec 2015
Because people don't bother giving it a try. Because people don't bother checking Creative Corner. The original works there, to be honest, aren't better than the fanfics posted there most of the time.

@The_Biologist senpai. Come talk about how you draw new people into watching Gungrave with your fanfics.
Mar 23, 2018 8:33 PM

Mar 2015
Bah, @Knight_Miklotov. :)

Fanfics disrespecting canon being a reason for avoiding fanfics is what I don't understand. If not for reading fanfics, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Sir ACD's Sherlock. Some people mimic his "gushy" style very well. Currently I'm getting interested with Fafhrd and Gray Mouser book for the same reason: the author mimics the original author's style very well.

*I read fanfics fandom blind mostly for review marathon events and review games/trades.

About how I draw someone into watching Gungrave with my fanfics, I think I'll just share this:

Inbox:
Hey, Bio! I have a question. I'm already REALLY liking your story; I've fallen in love with the characters and I want to know more about them. I'm generally not at all a fan of anime and manga; I haven't been able to make myself get into any sort of graphic novel at all, ever, and cartoons have never really been my thing, either. About the most experience I have with anything resembling anime is that stupid Arietty movie that messed up the plot of The Borrowers, a few episodes of a Deltora Quest anime (only because I love that book series), and the old Speed Racer cartoons. But I've read quite a bit of anime/manga fanfic fandom blind, and I usually like it. There are some great authors in that genre. I think what I'm asking is to be talked into watching Gungrave, and to know where I could find it if I were so inclined. What makes you love it? Is the show well-written, and if so, what makes it so? How clean is it? Are they as good at characterization as you are? ;) Basically, why should I decide to watch it when I don't like anime? Because I kind of want to now. :D

Me:
Hi,---! Speaking of Gungrave anime...

-What makes you love it?
The characters. :D Brandon and Harry (the show's antagonist, though it's difficult to completely call him an antagonist) are very well-developed, especially Harry. He's very human despite being a villain; starts out as a poor kid, decides to try his luck at the Mafia, gets successful, but grows so ambitious that he becomes corrupted (nothing is ever enough for him). Brandon's character is more static when compared to Harry, but he's still very likeable and it's easy to sympathize with him. He's so selfless and loyal, and those qualities are never gone although they've ruined his life. I think what makes him really likeable because his loyalty is constantly tested. If you've ever visited writershelpingwriters (dot) net, you can see that the twists on the traditional loyal characters are applied to Brandon: Instead of blind loyalty, show the conflict of a truly loyal person torn between supporting the one they love and adhering to another valued ideal (the truth, the law, another important relationship) AND Loyal characters tend to attract other loyal characters. Make life difficult for your character by pairing him with someone who does not value loyalty, or someone who is equally loyal to an opposing person or ideal. And the anime shows the dire consequences. ;)

- Is the show well-written, and if so, what makes it so? How clean is it?
It's excellent, but flawed. On the good side, the human drama is very well-written. It's a character-driven friendship drama/tragedy, and it's pulled off very well. In a harsh world where mobsters are rampant, can the friendship between two people (Brandon and Harry) last? Also, it brilliantly twists a loyal character, as stated above. On the bad side, the sci-fi part is very awkward. Because the first half of the anime is very strong on human drama (except a few episodes like ep 9-11) and concepts of loyalty, it feels very abrupt when the anime brings in the necrolyze stuff and shifts into a sci-fi/action show (starting from ep 18). And the style when the necrolyze concepts come in is pretty cliche: it's much like boss fights in video games. It's due to the anime's source material: an over-the-top PS2 game about shooting zombies.

- Are they as good at characterization as you are? ;)
It's one of the main reasons why I love the anime; the characters (especially Brandon and Harry) are the meat of the show. However, the female characters aren't really well-written. They feel pretty bland. As for Mika, I think I write her better than the show (mostly thanks to the game, because I incorporate her character traits in the game to her characterization in my works). For most people, she generally comes across as just a clingy brat with no virtue.

- Basically, why should I decide to watch it when I don't like anime?
I think it's because the anime portrays human drama very well and with realism. It's said that the anime is comparable to Shakespearean drama (I'll give you a link down there, in which the anime is compared to Hamlet; there are also other sources in which Gungrave is compared to Macbeth). Also, the art style is more mature than most animes: the characters look more like real people (except when the sci-fi things kick in; at least, the anime tones down the over-the-top design from the game).
Loitering around FFnet and AO3

Mar 23, 2018 8:50 PM

May 2016
Take it from someone who used to write fanfiction: Fanfiction fucking sucks.

Except "My Immortal"--that's a goddamn national treasure.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 23, 2018 8:56 PM
Dec 2015
Well said, The Biologist.

The more I read into other comments in this thread, the more I feel like most MAL people never read well-written fanfics. Now, what OP means by his question is "What about well-written fanfics?" Nobody seems to answer that.
Mar 23, 2018 9:07 PM

Mar 2015
they are fine as long nobody take it too seriously, especially the maker....

those OPM and BnHA fan teories that they are one settings still disgust me to this days...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 23, 2018 9:09 PM

Dec 2016
It's one of those things where the most extreme and off-putting examples are the most well-known ones, so it pretty much gives the whole genre a bad impression to the average person. It's kind of like anime in that respect.

What's the difference?
Mar 23, 2018 9:37 PM

May 2016
It's because many of them make no f***ing sense, specially if they are R18+. I have found very few times well written fanfics, the rest were complete cancer. Also, if something is changed from canon it usually fails even worse.
Mar 23, 2018 9:47 PM
Jul 2015
I don't know why, but I seem to feel attracted to fanfics where the author adds a new male character to a series where the MC is the only male in an all-girls academy, like in some fanfics at a Japanese site where the authors add a second male character to series like Seirei Tsukai and Saijaku Muhai and then let the source's MC get a few girls with strong flags with him like the source's main girl and the source MC's Osananajimi, and then have the second male, or New MC, get a few other girls from the female cast to like him.

Like in one IS fanfic I read there, the Source MC, Ichika gets Houki and the other Chinese chick ( forgot her name ), while the New MC gets Laura and Cecilia to like him and always interact with him. Later Tatenashi also joins the fray and starts hanging out a lot with that New MC, while Ichika is still busy interacting mostly with her 2 childhood friend grills.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 23, 2018 9:54 PM

Oct 2015
CoolitzHubertXVI said:
I don't know why, but I seem to feel attracted to fanfics where the author adds a new male character to a series where the MC is the only male in an all-girls academy, like in some fanfics at a Japanese site where the authors add a second male character to series like Seirei Tsukai and Saijaku Muhai and then let the source's MC get a few girls with strong flags with him like the source's main girl and the source MC's Osananajimi, and then have the second male, or New MC, get a few other girls from the female cast to like him.

Like in one IS fanfic I read there, the Source MC, Ichika gets Houki and the other Chinese chick ( forgot her name ), while the New MC gets Laura and Cecilia to like him and always interact with him. Later Tatenashi also joins the fray and starts hanging out a lot with that New MC, while Ichika is still busy interacting mostly with her 2 childhood friend grills.
Ahh, yamete, not NTRing my Cecilia.

Perhaps that is one reason smh

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Mar 23, 2018 9:54 PM

Nov 2017
Fanfics can provide us with a sense of closure that lets say a series didn't or if you didn't like how a series ended or you just wanted to see something that s series didn't give you, you can read them to get that, it might not do the source material justice but I don't think it needs to be taken so seriously, it won't ruin someones enjoyment of a series or how they felt about, its just there to make us feel satisfied with something we wanted to see thats all.
Mar 23, 2018 11:17 PM

Dec 2015
Hmm, from what I see here, most people avoid fanfics because it's not canon, even if they're well-written. Or in other words, fanfics disrespect canon.

Now, my question before I hit the hay is, what about fanfics that attract new fans to the series, like explained by one of the posts above? Fanfics probably can't be as good as the source material, but how do you say that it disrespects canon/wish-fulfillment if they manage to draw new fans into the series?
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Mar 24, 2018 12:33 AM

Mar 2015
I wouldn't say that fanfics that attract new fans to the original source (such as in my case) disrespect the canon/source material IMHO.

This is the kind of fanfic I deem as "disrespecting the original source:" Self-insert for the sake of pairing OC with CC. This can actually be done properly, but if you make the CC OOC (such as a chaste CC falls in love with the OC so quickly OR the CC's love interest becomes an evil B) and bash the CC's canonical love interest, then bah. Also, fanfics with character bashing due to shipping wars (hello, Digimon fandom) are just as bad.

Poorly-written fanfics such as unreadable stuff due to grammar/narrative issues is another story.

Luckily, the archive for Gungrave doesn't have many of that. :)

Mar 24, 2018 12:37 AM

Mar 2015
Nothing wrong with reading fanfiction. But I mean, like 90% of them are badly written, so I can see why people would avoid them.
Mar 24, 2018 3:19 AM
Dec 2015
The_Biologist said:
Luckily, the archive for Gungrave doesn't have many of that. :)

Of course it doesn't, because 25% of the fanfics in the archive are yours (or 50%, if you're talking about AO3). Your writing quality is guaranteed since your fics have been reviewed by various fandom blind pros and grammar nazi. :-) You need a "Quality Guaranteed" stamp on your fics.

What are fanfics that disrespects canon? I'll say that they are those that feature OOC characters and go against whatever the canon has developed in a bad way. Fanfics that reinforce/expand upon the canon are not, although they'll never be canon.
Mar 24, 2018 3:26 AM

May 2017
Fanfics more often than not are poorly written because fanfiction is usually a gateway into full-fledged novel writing (it has an established set of characters and a setting for newer writers to play around with) and as a result, also contain terrible self-inserts and the authors tend to fail at writing the characters in a convincing manner.

Again, fanfics rarely are better than the source material, because unless it's a very long-running, well-established add-on to the story that manages to convincingly portray the characters in their original forms it's either a one-shot romance doujin or another dumpster fire.

Rarely do fanfics attract new fans to the source, because fanfics are written and read by people who enjoyed the source material and want to read/write about the source more than what was provided. That's the whole crux of fanfiction, it's a niche community within a community.

Mar 24, 2018 4:08 AM

Sep 2011
impmontamer03 said:
Hmm, from what I see here, most people avoid fanfics because it's not canon, even if they're well-written. Or in other words, fanfics disrespect canon.

Now, my question before I hit the hay is, what about fanfics that attract new fans to the series, like explained by one of the posts above? Fanfics probably can't be as good as the source material, but how do you say that it disrespects canon/wish-fulfillment if they manage to draw new fans into the series?

What. Based on most posts that I've read here, it's not about being canon. Besides, the definition of fan fiction is already self-explanatory. Fan fiction = Not canon. And any people who think that otherwise is stupid.

It's about not being canon. It's about how well-written it is and how the characters' motives, way thinking, etc will make sense. I've seen fan fictions before but most of them are horribly written.

Overall, it's all about how well-written it is. If it is shit, then there's the hate. Just like on how people hate a certain anime because of shitty writing.

Mar 24, 2018 4:15 AM

Dec 2017
Hmm... poor writing and cringe scenes... that's probably it.
Mar 24, 2018 4:17 AM

Mar 2015
BaneofKermit said:
because fanfics are written and read by people who enjoyed the source material and want to read/write about the source more than what was provided. That's the whole crux of fanfiction, it's a niche community within a community.

This, unfortunately, works only for those who write for big fandoms. I used to think like this when I was new to fanfics, but then I joined reviewing forums because my fandom is dead.

In these forums, nobody cares about what fandom you're writing for. Everybody treats all fanfics as originals as they read and review them, and thus the reviews are generally objective and very helpful. These forums change my view about fanfics; I now write fanfics only to get feedback so I can practice my English skills. I don't bother writing originals because it's so much of a hassle (less chapters = less reviews = less improvement).

Thanks to them, my writing improves a lot. If I don't tell people that I have English as second language, people are unlikely to spot me as an ESL author (unless they are very good at English themselves). Because of this significant improvement, I've attracted a few new fans into the fandom I'm writing for.

So, I write to improve, but attracting new fans is a nice bonus.

Mar 24, 2018 4:24 AM
Dec 2015
The irony of people here avoiding fanfic because they're "poorly written." From my observation, most of the original works posted here aren't better than the fanfics posted here.
Mar 24, 2018 4:35 AM

Jan 2010
Simple.

1. Fanwork/not canon
2. Bandwagon hate/trend (saying poorly written when they haven't even read any, or have had only read like 0,01% of them and claimed they are all shit)
3. Don't know what they are looking for. (If you don't like the ship, don't read fanfic about that ship DUH. General (non-ship) fanfic exist too.)

But first and foremost is because it's not canon. A lot of people don't like non canon stuff right?

Also ppl probably are not attached enough to the characters to want to experience differrent/new things with them despite whether it's canon or not.
Mar 24, 2018 4:36 AM

Jul 2017
Eh, people's opinions. I only read fanfic of pairings that I like so...

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Mar 24, 2018 4:42 AM

Mar 2012
I avoid them because I can't stand seeing my favorite characters behaving completely out of character and doing things which I don't want them to ever do.
Mar 24, 2018 4:43 AM

Mar 2016
They tend to be terrible so I just avoid them altogether. Ain't got time to wade through filth.
Mar 24, 2018 7:14 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I haven't read a single good fanfic in my life.
Those I've read were badly written and often had too much of a romance focus.
Mar 24, 2018 7:18 PM

Apr 2017
So? is there a taboo between this self-cringeworthy essays you mentioned? Pretty autistic written by a d*cksucking sheeple with retarded issues

-HippySnob-Mar 24, 2018 7:21 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Mar 24, 2018 8:09 PM
Dec 2015
RnDNEET021 said:
So? is there a taboo between this self-cringeworthy essays you mentioned? Pretty autistic written by a d*cksucking sheeple with retarded issues

Yeah, calling an IRL doctor retarded up there.
Mar 24, 2018 8:43 PM

Dec 2015
Autistic? Retard? WTF bruh? An IRL doctor is an autist and a retard for writing fanfics and winning various awards for the fanfics. Wow.

Now, I just don't get all the sheer hate towards fanfic.

Non-canon? A fanfic is never a canon, but fanfics exist because some people love the series so much. No fans of a specific series = no fanfics.

Badly-written? Bruh, a lot of originals (by amateurs such as here) are also poorly-written.
Mar 24, 2018 8:58 PM

Mar 2015
@impmontamer03 @Knight_Miklotov

I'm graduating this August, while my license is coming next year. -_-

But anyway, this post just rekindled my flame right before an exam. :)

Mar 24, 2018 9:05 PM
Jan 2017
AyeKazu said:
I don't pay them much mind because they have no relevancy to the original source. It just doesn't sit right with me knowing it's not what actually happened or would happen, so why bother. That's the way I see it at least, it's hard to tell my mind otherwise, even if I try to.
I've never seen any hate towards fanfic though tbh

100000000% this. Word by word, this is how I feel.

I should also note that I'm fine(ish) with spin-offs (things like Dragonball GT) because it's usually authorized by the original author, even if it wasn't written by them.
Mar 24, 2018 9:11 PM
Jan 2017
impmontamer03 said:
Autistic? Retard? WTF bruh? An IRL doctor is an autist and a retard for writing fanfics and winning various awards for the fanfics. Wow.

Now, I just don't get all the sheer hate towards fanfic.

Non-canon? A fanfic is never a canon, but fanfics exist because some people love the series so much. No fans of a specific series = no fanfics.

Badly-written? Bruh, a lot of originals (by amateurs such as here) are also poorly-written.

My particular hatred towards fanfic is that I can't view the author as anything other than self-satisfying, and projecting their views on how things are. It's bastardizing, and more often than not, extremely pandering. Fanfic will also try to elaborate on vague occurrences or make sense of things that don't actually have any deeper meaning than "The author didn't think that far ahead.".
Mar 24, 2018 9:34 PM

Feb 2014
People have problems with fanfics, but not with doushinji. Why, do you ask?

Well, because of the "luggage" each one carries, anime has always been something more "open sourced" in those terms (Because feedback-loop and the influence of ComiKet and similars)

Moreover, if there is one that is "worth reading", i will end up knowing it, otherwise there's no reason for me to search for such things.
Mar 24, 2018 9:40 PM

Dec 2015
electrolights said:
Y'all hate fanfiction, too?? I'm basically studying a different culture when I read Anime Discussion, geez ... I grew up on fanfiction. I know I really loved something when I want to prolong the experience by reading fanfic for it. I have never experienced a fandom space that was hostile to fanfiction.

Things I've done many times:
- read fanfiction that was better than its source material (though this is a very small percentage of the total, it's not that far outside the window of Sturgeon's Law)
- read fanfic for a franchise I didn't know anything about and then became a fan of the source material because the fanfic made it seem so appealing

We write fanfiction to answer the question of "what if?" and to correct or flesh out parts of the story that weren't satisfying.

One of the better posts on this thread. :)

I'mma emphasize on this:
"read fanfic for a franchise I didn't know anything about and then became a fan of the source material because the fanfic made it seem so appealing"

It's a rare occurence, but it happens. There's already the story about this incident on one of the posts up there. What makes it amazing is that the fanfic attracts someone who dislikes anime in general.

You can basically guarantee the quality of this fanfic.

Ohai, Biologist! Your study actually helps bring your fanfic to life, just sayin'. :) Psychiatry expert, huh?
Mar 24, 2018 9:47 PM

Dec 2010
I read more fanfiction than I watch anime and I have found many fanfics better than the source material or just as good as the source material.
Mar 24, 2018 9:52 PM

Mar 2015
impmontamer03 said:
Ohai, Biologist! Your study actually helps bring your fanfic to life, just sayin'. :) Psychiatry expert, huh?

Better at forensics actually, particularly ballistics. :) However, psychiatry just happens to be a more important subject for writing Twisted Death because...well, characters with PTSD and paranoid schizophrenia are involved.

The good thing was that I had a "sudden death mode" psychiatry exam back then.

EDIT: Also had a few obstetrics cases involved: abruptio placenta and eclampsia. Of course, only the signs and symptoms are presented in the fic.
The_BiologistMar 24, 2018 9:56 PM

Mar 24, 2018 10:08 PM

Dec 2015
The_Biologist said:
The good thing was that I had a "sudden death mode" psychiatry exam back then.

Lol, that itself actually makes a good story.

Now, go update your fanfic already! Can't wait to see how you present paranoid schizophrenia.
Mar 24, 2018 10:15 PM

Apr 2015
dude i love me a good fan fic

i love the one where sonic eats tails and then shits out a baby.

gets me so happpppy :))
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2018 10:35 PM
Dec 2015
I can't believe how this and various award-winning fanfics (awarded by grammar nazi and other fandom blind pros) are badly written.

Come, I dare you read them and call them bad.
Knight_MiklotovMar 24, 2018 10:42 PM
Mar 24, 2018 10:50 PM

Mar 2015
@Knight_Miklotov: Why did you put mine among those two amazing authors (No Such Thing is the fic that gets me interested with Sir ACD's works)! -_- What can an ESL author do among those with English as their mother tongue!

I can write better than most ESL, but I can only write better than a handful of natives who are very new to writing. In other words, I have yet to write better than the authors in your post.
The_BiologistMar 24, 2018 11:07 PM

Mar 24, 2018 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
Knight_Miklotov said:
I can't believe how this and various award-winning fanfics (awarded by grammar nazi and other fandom blind pros) are badly written.

Come, I dare you read them and call them bad.

I bet nobody dares, bro. XD

Come on, Biologist! Some natives don't write better than you do, y'know?

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

22 by Leer »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 13 minutes ago

2 by Zettaiken »»
2 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 44 minutes ago

8 by mizukasa »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 4 hours ago

23 by Leer »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you chronically online?

Shizuna - Apr 21

32 by His0kaDevv »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.