Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2018 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
I am just tired of seeing people complaining everyday about any anime for every possible reason, I mean, if you don't like it, why are you even watching or talking about it? just move on and find something you can enjoy.

One problem I see, are complains about expectations, for example, you can't expect good comedy on Death Note, the same way you can't expect Dragon Ball to have a mind blowing plot, that is not the purpose of the show, so it is pointless to hate it for that.

Also, giving low scores to anime doesn't make you special, through my eyes you are just wasting your time watching things you dislike.

Tell me your thoughts about this, do you agree? disagree?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Before anything, thank you for participating on this thread.

After 100 posts, I came to some conclusions:

1 - A lot of people here on MAL watch anime just to make a review or be a critic and it doesn't matter if they like it or not, they are going to watch it anyway.
2 - There are people that enjoy being an anime critic more than watching anime.
3 - Apparently you can give a 1/10 and still enjoy the anime, even tough it doesn't make any sense to me.
4 - If you complain about people complaining you are close minded and have no right to show your opinion.

removed-userMar 21, 2018 11:59 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 20, 2018 7:08 PM
Sep 2017
I agree, but I'm a little embarrassed because without realizing I just figured out that I do that.
Mar 20, 2018 7:11 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"complaining promotes discussion"

is probably the best excuse people give to bitch about things theyre supposed to be a fan of

plus ofc negativity is what attracts the most attention, so its you're not bashing something, making fun of someone or something alone those lines, no one is really going to care

unfortunately at least in the case of forums, no one wants to know how much someone enjoys something

and yea, people take anime way too seriously in general and forget that its meant to target japanese culture and not their own

Mar 20, 2018 7:12 PM

Aug 2016
I keep watching it because I am trying to find something enjoyable out of the show in which a good majority of people were saying it was good.
Mar 20, 2018 7:13 PM

Jul 2016
I try to watch anime I know ill enjoy, so my scores aren't terribly low. So of course I enjoy watching anime. If I didn't, I wouldn't.
Mar 20, 2018 7:15 PM

Jul 2016
@ecchigodmamsterP hinata best girl.
Mar 20, 2018 7:28 PM

Aug 2017
i shouldnt need to try to enjoy anime, it should come naturally
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2018 7:30 PM

Dec 2016
... Yeah, I do try to enjoy it, but if a show I thought would be good ends up being bad, then I'm not going to pretend as if I liked it. I'll gladly rate bad anime as a 1/10. Also I should be able to complain about whatever I want, just like you are complaining about people who complain about anime.

What's the difference?
Mar 20, 2018 7:31 PM

Jun 2017
The main purpose of me watching anime is to be intrigued and entetained, I try not to be hyper critical and pessimisstic about thongs cause it takesnaway the fun.

I totally get what you mean.
Mar 20, 2018 7:37 PM

Feb 2016
So, in shot, OP is being close minded and talking shit out of his ass
Mar 20, 2018 7:38 PM
Aug 2014
I always try my best to dislike whatever I watch.
Mar 20, 2018 7:44 PM

Oct 2017
If I didn't enjoy it, then what would be the point in wasting time watching it?
Mar 20, 2018 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
First, calm down man, you are basically hating for no reason.

MechaKnightDarek said:

There is plenty of "points", just because YOU only watch anime for that sinmpe purpose it does not mean others do as well. Some people find enjoyment in criticism and analysis, in which case there most certainly is a point.
Also lol, "move on and fins something you can enjoy." and what if I said above watching trash and calling it out for what it is, is what gives them enjoyment? Are they supposed to stop doing all of that because oh the irony, you could not move on and find some other community where everyone is nice, criticism is none and you can enjoy your little safe space?

Well, I don't have any problem accepting peoples taste, but, just because I accept, doesn't mean I agree. So if one enjoy hating on anime, I am OK with that.

The first one is kind of true, the second one, oh dear lord. How do I even approach this, okay let's try this. What you basically said is "Don't expect a show to be good it is obviously not that type of anime". Like, what? Is it about it being a shounen, where there are shounens with good plot, so this is just... Next level plebism.

No, it is not because it is a shounen, but let's be honest, an anime that at the first episode, has a girl being slapped in her genital because the protagonist is an innocent wild teen, can't be the start of the biggest plot ever.

Giving high scores does not make you special either, no one claims any of those, grow up
Yes, through your eyes. Close minded, lacking in perspective eyes that can only see things through one mindset, that of your own. Who the fuck are YOU to tell people how to go about their cartoon watching?

I don't think I am special or anything like that. I don't know about you, but I see a lot of people that give high scores to unknown anime and low scores to popular anime and just feel like they are some kind of genius.
Also, you contradicted yourself saying that I am close minded when you can't think of another perspective yourself.

Mar 20, 2018 7:58 PM

Aug 2012
You're essentially saying why people give low scores to anime they watch. Hey, people critique regular movies and TV series all the time. People have different standards for what they consider good. Maybe the movie/anime/tv-series started out strong, but turned out bad towards the end? I've also given series a try in hope of delivery of said praise, yet didn't enjoy it.
Everything you're saying can be applied to anything regarding entertainment. Entertainment is subjective. Some people appreciate well-written stories, others don't care too much. People expect different thing according to how well it's regarded by the public view. If something was considered bad by the general consensus from the get-go, people won't be as harsh because they expected it to be bad
MonsterMar 20, 2018 8:02 PM
Mar 20, 2018 7:58 PM

Oct 2013
I find it interesting that some would complain about something clearly tagged ecchi for having too much ecchi or about about a shounen series for being...well a shounen series.

I won't go into some ecchi/harem series expecting some kind of deep plot anymore than I'd expect a slice of life series to have crazy fight scenes.
If it happens, I'll just see it as an unexpected surprise.
FanofActionMar 20, 2018 8:07 PM
Mar 20, 2018 8:00 PM

Jun 2014
Anime fandom: Nobody can complain.

Tbh, anime fans are thin-skinned. They may hate what they please.
Mar 20, 2018 8:02 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
gekko_13 said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

is it really more appealing to people to watch something they think sucks and bitch about how much they think it sucks than to actually find an anime they like?

Mar 20, 2018 8:06 PM

Jun 2014
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
gekko_13 said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

is it really more appealing to people to watch something they think sucks and bitch about how much they think it sucks than to actually find an anime they like?

Lets wrap all anime fans in plastic wrap to protect their feelings because they cannot stand people voicing a negative opinion on anime shows.

Its almost like anime fans are becoming sport homers and are fragile to the slightest negativity.
Mar 20, 2018 8:14 PM

Aug 2012
Kagami said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

Lets wrap all anime fans in plastic wrap to protect their feelings because they cannot stand people voicing a negative opinion on anime shows.

Its almost like anime fans are becoming sport homers and are fragile to the slightest negativity.

This. People shield anime from negativity because they're insecure of the anime they enjoy, hence project the criticism towards the critiques rather than accepting, argue or ignore it. Any TV entertainment can be criticized.
Kagami said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

This. People shield anime from negativity because they're insecure about the anime they enjoy, hence projecting it towards the critics. It's fine to enjoy whatever you want, but don't try to make anime some safe haven.
Mar 20, 2018 8:17 PM

Oct 2015
You don't try to enjoy anime, you just enjoy it. Trying to enjoy it is already a signal that you don't enjoy it.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 20, 2018 8:20 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kagami said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

stfu lol

you know damn well i value freedom of speech and their freedom to bitch about anime is our freedom to question why and so on

its people's freedom to make 1000 ecchi/fanervice threads, and its my freedom to tell them to fuck off

Mar 20, 2018 8:20 PM

Dec 2017
You like it or you don't.

There is no 'try'. - Some Jedi Master
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 20, 2018 8:22 PM

Jun 2014
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
Kagami said:

stfu lol

you know damn well i value freedom of speech and their freedom to bitch about anime is our freedom to question why and so on

They voice their opinion on anime because that is their right as they consume media.

/end thread
Mar 20, 2018 8:23 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Monster said:
This. People shield anime from negativity because they're insecure about the anime they enjoy, hence projecting it towards the critics. It's fine to enjoy whatever you want, but don't try to make anime some safe haven.

Meh, the critics have every goddamn right to be challenged as well and it can also become just the inverse of what you're talking about here sometimes. People shield critics from criticism too much.

Like, just sit back and think for a moment:

People shield anime from negativity because they're insecure about the anime they enjoy, hence projecting it towards the critics.

How is that any different than me walking into the thread and saying something like:

People hate on a lot of anime only because they want to project an image of refined taste and only being able to enjoy the cream of the crop onto themselves to compensate for their feelings of inferiority.

I don't believe in the horseshoe theory in application to politics, but I sure as hell believe in it when it comes to the topics like this. One side wants to be critical, one side wants to enjoy everything, both sides are too delicate to handle the existence of those opposite to them so as a result we get this kind of toxic, arrogant projection that just makes both sides seem like they function the same way and have the same endgoal of silencing dissenting voices and eradicating the other approach through sheer toxicity. Free speech, as usual, is being made an unnecessary casualty here and can just mean sticking up for one side or the other, so we have this wonderful concept being bastardized and exploited to oblivion and back, just to further some other narrative.

Fuck's sake I just hate this whole board sometimes. Most of the time it feels like.
ManabanMar 20, 2018 8:37 PM

Mar 20, 2018 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Many of the anime I completed with low scores were for challenges (which I enjoy doing). Or, I heard they were good, but I just ended up disliking them. And I don't like dropping anime, hence why my on-hold list is nearly 200+. Also, everyone has a different rating scale, yes?
Mar 20, 2018 8:45 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kagami said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

stfu lol

They voice their opinion on anime because that is their right as they consume media.

/end thread

yes and opinions are not immune from opinion

get that "its just my opinion" bullshit outta here... if you say something someone doesn't like, then they can tell you all they want that they don't like it

you can't claim anime shouldn't be immune from criticism then act as though criticism should be immune from criticism

Manaban said:
People shield critics from criticism too much.

YES YES YES

AND ITS BULLSHIT

critics are not gods or authority

Mar 20, 2018 8:46 PM
Jan 2014
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
plus ofc negativity is what attracts the most attention, so its you're not bashing something, making fun of someone or something alone those lines, no one is really going to care

unfortunately at least in the case of forums, no one wants to know how much someone enjoys something

I don't think this is necessarily true. If you go to some place like, say, r/anime, you'll find the amount of upvotes any given post has is directly proportional to how much forced positivity it has. Saying something bad about anything, unless it's a Hot Topic of the Week that everybody agrees on, will get you downvoted. On the contrary, being overly positive about basically anything will be heavily upvoted, regardless of what it is. Like you can literally just open any episode discussion thread, even for a show that you haven't seen, and post "OMG SO EPIC HYPE CANT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK", and you'll get tons of upvotes almost certainly. This tells me that people do just like hearing about how much other people enjoy stuff.
Mar 20, 2018 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
Cladocera said:

To OP: Life isn't going as we want, seeing things you don't understand is normal. Stop caring.

You are one of the few that understood what I tried to say!

To be honest, I don't care at all, I just wanted to see the general reaction and as expected, there is hate everywhere.

But thanks for the advice anyway =]
Mar 20, 2018 8:50 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ItsXolo said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. If you go to some place like, say, r/anime, you'll find the amount of upvotes any given post has is directly proportional to how much forced positivity it has. Saying something bad about anything, unless it's a Hot Topic of the Week that everybody agrees on, will get you downvoted. On the contrary, being overly positive about basically anything will be heavily upvoted, regardless of what it is. Like you can literally just open any episode discussion thread, even for a show that you haven't seen, and post "OMG SO EPIC HYPE CANT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK", and you'll get tons of upvotes almost certainly. This tells me that people do just like hearing about how much other people enjoy stuff.

up votes? where?

also, its hard to know just how large the positive silent majority truly is when its mostly whiny fucks who like to talk

its like the youtube videos with 95% thumbs up but nothing but bitching in the comments, its likely that the vast majority of people like or love what theyre seeing but just don't feel the need to express it

its pretty sad cause in a case like the anime community as it just reinforces the stereotype that anime fans are all depressed and hate themselves

Mar 20, 2018 9:02 PM

Oct 2017
Logarithmano said:
I am just tired of seeing people complaining everyday about any anime for every possible reason, I mean, if you don't like it, why are you even watching or talking about it? just move on and find something you can enjoy.

Everyone has the right to criticize a show. Criticism is a sort of entertainment for people. Like I knew School Days etc is shit, but I still watched it... Everyone has their own opinion and have the right to express it. Rather than addressing people to move on, you should try moving on.
Logarithmano said:
you can't expect Dragon Ball to have a mind blowing plot, that is not the purpose of the show, so it is pointless to hate it for that.
Also, giving low scores to anime doesn't make you special, through my eyes you are just wasting your time watching things you dislike.

Your example of Dragon Ball is terrible since its Akira Toriyama's fault to hype the fans through each "preview". And about expectations, an anime having a high score is sure to increase your expectations or why would it even have "that" score.
Giving high scores doesn't make you special either, it's just the way to express one's entertainment so grow up...
You have no right to criticize people on how they spend their time. It would be better if you don't give a crap about others.... and just enjoy watching what you like.
Mar 20, 2018 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
pgmhecateii said:
No, I've seen most of the good ones and I can hardly even give out 8s anymore. I just watch anime for that feeling of accomplishment at the end.

I hate dropping anime cause I think that all anime deserve to be finished, no matter how crappy.

Wow, over 1500 completed and 0 dropped. Now that is something you don't see everyday.
Mar 20, 2018 9:05 PM

Jun 2017
Logarithmano said:

One problem I see, are complains about expectations, for example, you can't expect good comedy on Death Note, the same way you can't expect Dragon Ball to have a mind blowing plot, that is not the purpose of the show, so it is pointless to hate it for that.

Tell me your thoughts about this, do you agree? disagree?

actually I agree OP, those you mentioned are #FACTS, I'd also like to add that complaining about people complaining about anime is a waste of time as well.

Mar 20, 2018 9:06 PM

Jun 2014
@EcchiGodMamsterP

Twist it however you like, but some anime fans are thin-skinned to the slightest criticism towards anime. Its almost pathetic because its beyond obvious how deeply it bothers people. You can be critical of critics, sure. Though, you yourself have lost any chance of seeming anything but thin-skinned due to the day you blew up on me in this forum and my discord due to my comments on ecchi and then cut me off because you just couldn't take it. Not worth it though because you will also deny and/or twist that.
Mar 20, 2018 9:16 PM

Apr 2014
I enjoy everything.

I'm simple to please.

Mar 20, 2018 9:30 PM

Mar 2017
I somewhat agree with OP myself. I'm not picky in what i watch, but i have yet to come across a show i voluntarily picked, and finished it even though i hated it. To each their own though.

Watching an anime and not liking it is not the same as watching an anime you know you won't like with the mindset that you're going to blast it afterwards. Stop trying to justify it with your "right to criticize", and just say what you're really doing.

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.
Mar 20, 2018 9:46 PM

Mar 2016
why would I try to enjoy something that I already enjoy ?
Don't assume that people don't enjoy anime just because they give anime they watched a said low score. Some people use a relative scoring system.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Mar 20, 2018 9:57 PM

Sep 2015
Yes, i agree with you , i don't like wasting my time so i need to drop anime more often.

But giving high scores doesn't make you special either, pleb.

Mar 20, 2018 10:07 PM

Dec 2010
No, I don't try to enjoy it. I just do.

Now, if something happens that I don't like, then I might find myself disapointed, but that actually adds to the enjoyment. I do get tired sometimes of a show just being predictable.
Mar 20, 2018 10:08 PM

Nov 2013
Criticism itself is fine. The only problem with that is, that some repeat themselves over and over again instead of actually using criticism.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 20, 2018 11:30 PM

May 2016
And what if I like to finish everything even though I hate it? I hated Highschool of the Dead at the star, for example, but I ended enjoying it (though disliking it a bit). The same can happen but reversely... I started enjoying a lot Death Note but hated it at the end (of the first part).

Also...
Logarithmano said:
you can't expect Dragon Ball to have a mind blowing plot, that is not the purpose of the show, so it is pointless to hate it for that

Yeah, because that totally excuses its bad writing... Gurren Lagann's purpose isn't also to tell a mind blowing plot (in fact, is very similar to DB) but at the end it does, so why Dragon Ball can't have it? The bad narrative in Dragon Ball is just bad narrative, don't excuse it.

Also, why are you saying that people shouldn't hate it because of it? If a person hates a show for whatever reason, let this person hate it. Don't be such close minded.
Mar 20, 2018 11:33 PM

Oct 2014
I don't judge people for what they enjoy doing. If someone finds more entertainment in watching shitty shows and then ranting about how awful they are than they do in just watching things that appeal to their taste more I won't try to stop them.
Mar 20, 2018 11:47 PM

May 2009
Kagami said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

no contest lol

@MechaKnightDarek

No, it's because the Anime Discussion forum can get boring when it's thread after thread of people complaining left and right.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 21, 2018 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
We love it.

But as Nietzsche once said, people who love something do it the most harm, because they expect from the loved one, the impossible.
Mar 21, 2018 1:00 AM

Mar 2013
I try to pick anime based on my tastes and narrow it down to shows that I think I would enjoy but it doesn't always work out, hence the low scores. Some people watch any anime just to analyse it and they find enjoyment in doing just that, regardless of the scores that they give. When it comes to watching anime, everyone has their own personal preferences. Everyone's viewing experience is unique.

Mar 21, 2018 1:06 AM

Jul 2013
Here's the thing, I still enjoy the shows I gave 1/10 more than the ones I dropped, and it's not like I don't have any complain on the shows I gave 10/10. There's no perfection in this world.

When you're going through anime forum, you're reading comments from multiple persons. One single person is NOT responsible for every "complain" that you see. One person complains about one thing, pile them up and obviously you will see the "people complaining everyday about any anime for every possible reason"
Mar 21, 2018 1:14 AM

Dec 2016
You either enjoy something or you don't, there's no "trying" to do so.
Mar 21, 2018 1:24 AM

Aug 2014
Yes.
Thats why after complaining about the "technical quality" i normally give why the reason i enjoyed and select out to people who enjoy the specific genre.
For example ; Fate apocryha, it has bland main character, theres too much character, overall compared other Fate franchise its a trainwreck. but Enjoyment wise? ofc i gave 10/10 for it because fighting! some characters and the memes!
or something recent like Owari no seraph, generic shounen trash and dumbed down characters where they seems somehow overpowered with all the BS talk but still do nothing but crying his ass off for more power.
Enjoyment? not much compared Shounen like Gintama/BnHA its alright due it actually has good theme and some good characters other than fucking retarded Yu.

tl;dr if i didnt even try to enjoy it i dont even bother to watch/drop or rarely on hold.
Mar 21, 2018 1:31 AM

Aug 2017
I watch shows per my preferences and which I know I will enjoy I don't watch shows to analyze them I watch for my own enjoyment

But many people watch them as a critique despite it not being enjoyable to them and that's something they enjoy doing so let them I got no reason to complain about anyone else as long as I enjoy doing what I do.
Mar 21, 2018 1:44 AM
Jul 2015
I'm watching a series only if I like it. If I don't like it, it's easy - I drop it and move to the next one. I no longer try to force myself to finish it like I used to when I had just gotten into anime. Nowadays, my dropped list is getting additions more often than my completed list... :/
Mar 21, 2018 2:22 AM

Jun 2010
When a series is very popular and has genres that I like, I try to watch it. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, but I finish it anyway, so I can have a honest opinion about it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

22 by Nirinbo »»
54 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

21 by Rinenka »»
1 minute ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

43 by Ex-Aid »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 11 hours ago

25 by epidemia78 »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

983 by SebasL21 »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.