Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 22, 2018 2:47 PM

Jun 2017
Halpher said:
IdleSolution said:
What if they just don't like the same shows as you? SAO's quality is garbage and you can't deny that. Yes, it's popular but it doesn't change anything. Popularity never goes hand to hand with quality. I can't see a reason why anyone would put a low score to show he enjoyed, its just he didn't enjoy those things you call good shows

You can deny SAO's quality is garbage. Saying you can't deny it is denying the person the right to have their preference on what they perceive as good.

You can like it, I can even understand why it is so popular but that won't change its quality, sorry

Mar 22, 2018 3:00 PM

Jul 2015
@IdleSolution I do think some works have more merit than others, but you're abrasive "it's garbage" is as subjective as it gets and will never convince anyone of what you're saying.

I saw Parasyte in your favs, I truly disliked that show, but I'd never leave it at "it sucks". An explanation is required.
Mar 22, 2018 3:42 PM
May 2017
Dagura said:
People nowadays have started to hate on good anime and promote bad anime just because they want to be considered 'special' and to be accepted by the 'elitist' class.
As much as I hate elitists and despise their existence, to a certain extent, they prove themselves right. Wannabe-elitists are a group of people who just randomly rate good anime low and bad anime high so that they can be considered to have a unique taste, which I absolutely take a piss on. If you piss on an anime which is actually good just because you want to sound like an elitist, you shouldn't exist.
With that said, I want opinions regarding elitists and this new class of retards called 'wannabe-elitists'(would love to tag some, but nah ;( ).

I think I know what you're talking about. I once came across this guy who gave Strike Witches a 10 and Cowboy Bebop a 5. Is that what you mean by "wannabe-elitist"?
Mar 22, 2018 3:45 PM

Jun 2017
Clebardman said:
@IdleSolution I do think some works have more merit than others, but you're abrasive "it's garbage" is as subjective as it gets and will never convince anyone of what you're saying.

I saw Parasyte in your favs, I truly disliked that show, but I'd never leave it at "it sucks". An explanation is required.

I know that but there were so many SAO threads Im honestly bored with it.

Mar 22, 2018 4:18 PM

May 2009
TozaNini229 said:
I was gonna take this thread seriously but you rated Mirai Shitty and Sword Ass Online a 9 while you rated Steins Gate a 2 so I can't. Sorry :(
I see a post like this and I just laugh.

Not because I agree with any of these opinions -- I haven't seen any of those shows yet -- but the notion itself is laughable.

LordLagann said:
Wut?

Elitist are going around hyping unpopular shows?

SAO is comparable to Death Note?

SAO is good show??

I musta fucking slipped unto a coma, died, and woke up in special ed section of hell.
Well, does Kirito commit the sin of dramatically eating potato chips?

DerpMasterHD said:
I try to rate everything fairly, but regarding Death Note and SAO, I have watched SAO and thought it was a ok anime that was nice but wasn't overly enjoyable, but I have yet to watch Death Note though I have been considering watching it.
I have little interest at all in watching Death Note because neither the premise nor the art are my thing. Considering SAO because the art is at least more my thing and I'm curious about what I'd think of it, in light of everyone piliing on it, despite having previously dropped it myself after one episode.

Basicpleb420 said:
I once came across this guy who gave Strike Witches a 10 and Cowboy Bebop a 5. Is that what you mean by "wannabe-elitist"?
I dunno, but tell him I said Sky Girls is better than Strike Witches.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 22, 2018 4:37 PM
May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Okay.

*looks up Sky Girls*

Excuse me. I hear knocking on my door. Better go check it ouAUAJAJAUAHWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUUSUWUWUSUSHDHSHSHDHXHCHCHCHHCYCUCUCUCUFUEUEUEUEUEEUEUEURYRYRYRRURUGTGGFHRHEUEUEUEUEEUEUUWHWEHHEHEHWHEHEHEHEHEEHHSHEHSGURHH
Mar 22, 2018 4:52 PM

Mar 2015
LordLagann said:
Kuma said:

you are giving SAO too much credit... are you obsessed with SAO? lOl

Doubtful since SAO was released at a time when Anime was climbing rapidly in popularity for the West and then that came out.

1. Anime is on decline on the west since 2007 because economical crisis... anime starting to get better from 2011 when anime more available online, before SAO Anime come out... internet is better to taking credit than SAO... SAO just came in the west right in the moment...

LordLagann said:
Everyone's eyes was glued to the release date and when it finally did come out it only affirmed the stigma that older fans knew all too well and gave a green light to newer fans that this sort of shit is not only acceptable but representative of the medium. It's a faceplam moment that reverberates through time.

sorry, what people like doesn't always fit with your personal prefference... it has been always like this since old days... bleach wasn't that big in japan, but in the west? same happened with fairy tail, which baffle me how popular in the west... remember trigun? bakugan? crush gear? let's and go? actually, if people stop talking about it... it would be forgotten with enough time... but you guys won't shut up... thanks to make it even more popular by keep mentioning it...
KumaMar 22, 2018 4:55 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 22, 2018 4:56 PM

Oct 2012
Responding to bait thread because this has been on my mind.

The first problem I have with this thread is you falsely describe what a wannabe elitist is by saying a wannabe elitist is someone who shits on a show you liked and promotes a lesser known show that you did not like. This is ironic because you are implying that you have a good enough knowledge that you can dictate which shows are good or bad, therein referring to yourself as elite.

I am an elitist. I believe that some people are better able to judge anime in particular and are better able to recognize an anime's flaws and an anime's merits because of their knowledge of the medium. They will appreciate deconstructions, subversions, cultural references and linguistic forays that will go over a more casual viewer's head. Does this mean their opinion is better than a casual viewer? Not necessarily, but they do posses a deeper understanding of the anime in question.

So for example an elitist might see what makes Sword Art Online an attractive anime, but being knowledgeable about anime and literature in general he may note that outside of an interesting premise and well put together presentation, Sword Art Online lacks any depth and they will be unimpressed by how shallow of a work it is, combined with its reliance on tropes, poor writing and direction as well as unrealistic characters and largely gains a following through power fantasy. One can still like Sword Art Online, but the Elitist makes a much better case for why it is a worse show from an aesthetic standpoint than say FLCL.

FLCL on the other hand may be incredibly opaque to a casual viewer. If they aren't familiar with the Japanese language and culture many of the themes and puns in the show will go over their head. It is fine that they did not enjoy FLCL, but that is not to say that those themes, references and puns do not exist. They do exist and they enhance the work, and a so called "elite" watcher will notice these things and will be able to properly credit and applaud the artist for his technical ability to convey meaning through symbolism and creative direction.

This is where the Wannabe elitist comes in. The wannabe elitist has the knowledge and experience of a casual viewer, but they ride on the bandwagon of whatever the elitist says. I would consider it disingenuous for a person with no knowledge of the Magical Girl genre to give Madoka Magica a low score because it is "unoriginal". Yes it may not be as novel as it was sold, but if you're unfamiliar with Magical Girl tropes, Madoka's lack of originality should not impede your enjoyment of the series. Furthermore I would consider it disingenuous for someone to give Evangelion a 10 and not be able to explain what they enjoyed about the series. These wannabe elitist enjoy trash talking popular anime since they see elitists on Youtube or MAL trash talk them and they steal their arguments, or they go into the series with expectations that it will be bad. It is okay to like trashy anime, you shouldn't lie about what you like in order to seem smarter.

For the record I consider the wannabe elitist to be quite rare, though I have seen it before. Most elitists are justified and shouldn't receive as much hate as they do for disliking popular shows and similarly casuals should not be antagonized for enjoying shlocky unoriginal shows. You like what you like and depending on what you know your perception of art will change. Listen to other's opinions but form your own as well.

That's my whole rant hope you liked it.
Mar 22, 2018 5:08 PM

Sep 2009
CaptainTree said:

you are so smart, do you watch ricketickus and mortimer a lot?

You do realize the folly of using one degenerate fanbase in attempt to distract from another right?

@Halpher I really don't think he's all there to be honest.

@Kuma wut.

Bleach has been on a decline but it was never unpopular. Most people, myself included, stopped talking about SAO years ago since everything has been discussed already. That's all I have to respond because I can't make heads or tails out of everything else.
Mar 22, 2018 5:11 PM

May 2009
Basicpleb420 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Okay.

*looks up Sky Girls*

Excuse me. I hear knocking on my door. Better go check it ouAUAJAJAUAHWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWUUSUWUWUSUSHDHSHSHDHXHCHCHCHHCYCUCUCUCUFUEUEUEUEUEEUEUEURYRYRYRRURUGTGGFHRHEUEUEUEUEEUEUUWHWEHHEHEHWHEHEHEHEHEEHHSHEHSGURHH
I'm not sure what that's supposed to be onomatopoeia of, but the two shows share the same character designer. Strike Witches is the more comedic and fanservicey of the two, while Sky Girls is more focused on storytelling.
Mar 22, 2018 5:15 PM

Mar 2015
LordLagann said:
@Kuma wut.

Bleach has been on a decline but it was never unpopular. Most people, myself included, stopped talking about SAO years ago since everything has been discussed already. That's all I have to respond because I can't make heads or tails out of everything else.

it was much more popular in the west than in japan.... it better representation than let's said SAO which actually also more popular in the wast but for nicher audience...

then you had to find better example... i mean, is SAO only one you can pin point? lOl that series sure left lot impression in your memeries huh?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 22, 2018 5:18 PM
Jan 2014
Nothing wrong with being an elitist, shitty shows deserved to be criticised, even if there are a lot of plebs who like them. Though of course you're an idiot if you just hate shows because they're popular.

Mar 22, 2018 6:20 PM
May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Basicpleb420 said:

Okay.

*looks up Sky Girls*

I'm not sure what that's supposed to be onomatopoeia of, but the two shows share the same character designer. Strike Witches is the more comedic and fanservicey of the two, while Sky Girls is more focused on storytelling.

That's not an onomatopoeia, that was my face being slammed against the keyboard by some men from A certain organisation.
Mar 22, 2018 6:32 PM

May 2009
Basicpleb420 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

That's not an onomatopoeia, that was my face being slammed against the keyboard by some men from A certain organisation.
Mar 22, 2018 6:34 PM

Sep 2009
@Kuma
Really unsure as to what you're getting at but SAO was the talk of the town. Popular as it may be Bleach was never at the forefront as the poster boy of Anime. Everyone who watches Anime and their friends who didn't were talking about SAO even before it's release and only skyrocketed afterwards. As overbaked as Bleach is I can say it never bait and switched fans or set female protagonist back a decade or two. So...not sure what else to say other than I think you're not a native English speaker :P
Mar 22, 2018 6:39 PM
May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Basicpleb420 said:

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Basicpleb420 said:

Have you ever heard of the FBI? Or the CIA? Or the ATF? (Hopefully, that's enough characters.)
Mar 22, 2018 6:50 PM

May 2009
Basicpleb420 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Have you ever heard of the FBI? Or the CIA? Or the ATF? (Hopefully, that's enough characters.)
GlennMagusHarveyMar 22, 2018 6:57 PM
Mar 22, 2018 6:55 PM
May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Basicpleb420 said:

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind next time if I ever make the joke again. Thanks for the advice.
Mar 22, 2018 6:57 PM

May 2009
Basicpleb420 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind next time if I ever make the joke again. Thanks for the advice.
Heh, no problem. I even thought you were trying to imitate a police siren, at first, but got confused when you said it wasn't that.
Mar 22, 2018 7:00 PM
May 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Basicpleb420 said:

Heh, no problem. I even thought you were trying to imitate a police siren, at first, but got confused when you said it wasn't that.

Well see, the problem with police sirens is that they sound different depending on where you are.
Mar 22, 2018 7:01 PM

Mar 2015
LordLagann said:
@Kuma
Really unsure as to what you're getting at but SAO was the talk of the town. Popular as it may be Bleach was never at the forefront as the poster boy of Anime. Everyone who watches Anime and their friends who didn't were talking about SAO even before it's release and only skyrocketed afterwards. As overbaked as Bleach is I can say it never bait and switched fans or set female protagonist back a decade or two. So...not sure what else to say other than I think you're not a native English speaker :P

are you implying bleach arent back then? oh man, i would like to bring bakc big 3 discussion...
Mar 22, 2018 7:38 PM

Jul 2016
I am a wannabe elitist(I think?). In that I have only watched around 400ish anime, but I feel I have a decent grasp on what I like and what I do not like(Trash/not trash). That said if someone has a dissenting viewpoint... I am willing to discuss it. Also I dont tend to any one genre, I find I like a variety as time moves on. I value originality over story/plot and entertainment over character development.

SAO is an anime that I love to debate the most. First and foremost from the anime business standpoint SAO is the gold standard so to speak. Secondly of all it is still spoken of to this day. Even if in a negative light it gains more and more recognition through praise or roast this is what gives it such "Brand Name Recognition." Add to the fact its sales both in manga and anime form were impressive domestically and internationally. SAO in large is a "gateway" anime. I often hear people say SAO was one of the first anime they watched. I would also like to add that merchandising for SAO is to this day still producing gobs of revenue. So whether you liked the show or not... from a business standpoint it was amazing. I don't think SAO was amazing, nor do I think it was garbage(I gave it like a 5 or a 6 iirc). I think it was entertaining and see the merits of its existence. That said I do find it funny people who roast shows like SAO for reason X or reason Y and when you look at their list, you can usually find highly rated shows with the same issues sometimes even more blatant then SAO.

I would also like to point out that episodic anime is usually a lot more well received in the west than in Japan(I'm not a fan of shows that take more then 30 episodes to convey a story). Why should you care you ask? Because the anime industry doesn't really give a shit(though that is beginning to change) about what the west likes or dislikes. The west is generally not the target audience of most if not all anime/manga. I often find that I don't care for the popular anime. Take FMA Brotherhood, HunterxHunter, or the Dragonball series for instance. I don't care for these series as IMO they are targeted at a teenage audience and I feel I just cannot identify with those tastes. I didn't care for Ergo Proxy but after discussing it with a few people I will acknowledge why some people like it. I enjoy ecchi only when used in its original context and find shows like "FREEZING" to be offensive and more akin to Hentai(which I dislike strongly).

Oh ffs I was ranting again wasn't I?
ChiisaiInuMar 22, 2018 7:42 PM
Mar 22, 2018 7:44 PM

Dec 2017
Stop replying! Nobody cares anymore! Also SAO isn't garbage alright. I'm tired of this being used as an insult. God I could do the same.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 22, 2018 8:03 PM

Dec 2015
Bruh, I don't give a flying fuck what you think is good or bad anime but I can tell for myself what I think is jolly wonderful or fucking shite. People have different tastes, stop measuring your dicks against each other's.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mar 22, 2018 8:11 PM

May 2009
One of these days I'll get off my butt and plop back on my butt and watch SAO and see what the fuss is all about.

One of these days.
Mar 22, 2018 8:24 PM

Feb 2016
Botan-Chan45 said:
OneNaughtyBear said:
Who are these people you speak of? What anime are they hating on? Who is in this “elite class”? Have you been researching the forum history of these so called “wannabe elitists” to see for yourself that they recently started hating on “good” anime to become an elitists in order to make such a claim?

Of course you can’t answer these questions. Just another elitist thread with 0 examples. Probably just triggered someone “Took a piss” on your favorite show.
If they rate a great show a 1 and a bad show a 10. The. You look at thier tags and see shit like,"OWO shitty show," or,"gay." I not trying to defend him, but he probably has checked if the actual score was justified or to look like an elitist. He did point out that these are wannabe elitists and not real ones.
I didn't know there was a universal criteria for what determines whether or not a show is great or bad. Re:Zero is a popular show that I hate and gave a score of 1. Does that make me a wannabe elitist?

And how would he know if the score was "justified" or not? I'm almost positive he didn't ask them why they give the score they did in the first place. If he did he would've given at least one show and someone's reasoning behind their low score for the show.
Mar 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Dec 2017
OneNaughtyBear said:
Botan-Chan45 said:
If they rate a great show a 1 and a bad show a 10. The. You look at thier tags and see shit like,"OWO shitty show," or,"gay." I not trying to defend him, but he probably has checked if the actual score was justified or to look like an elitist. He did point out that these are wannabe elitists and not real ones.
I didn't know there was a universal criteria for what determines whether or not a show is great or bad. Re:Zero is a popular show that I hate and gave a score of 1. Does that make me a wannabe elitist?

And how would he know if the score was "justified" or not? I'm almost positive he didn't ask them why they give the score they did in the first place. If he did he would've given at least one show and someone's reasoning behind their low score for the show.
I don't care if shows or manga are popular tbh. I rated Berserk(manga) a six and BnHA(show) a five for a reason.
Anyways, I said he probably did this, and I'm not trying to defend him, but found stupid reasons people hate it. I could care less if people hate the anime I like, because we are all not the same in taste.
Also if you didn't watch BnHA, don't.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 23, 2018 3:12 AM

Sep 2012
Hmmm since I dont care enough to look up and find who started the flame war but well done man you baited many people with a shit bait.

Mar 23, 2018 9:09 AM

Jul 2016
Read some stuff about Death Note being disliked just because its popular. Gotta say the 2nd half was vastly inferior to the first, which made me really disappointed as it was a fantastic anime up to that point. I would say everyone who says Death Note is trash is probably just a contrarian but it did have its flaws and for me they hit quite hard.
Mar 23, 2018 11:20 AM

Jun 2014
Thread locked.

Thread has been locked due to being bait and to prevent further arguments which derail from the topic.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

15 by Thanatos1 »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot? ( 1 2 )

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

52 by lingojk »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 5 hours ago

21 by Dracowyn »»
4 minutes ago

» Are the characters or the plot more important for you in an anime?

Tannenbusch - Apr 12

49 by Spunkert »»
16 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

93 by LostSpectre »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.