Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2018 10:01 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
It is quite unusual, to say the least, to see a 2×2-hour movie adaptation of a single TV cour. Basically they'll only be cutting just over an hour of content, or 20–23% in total. This isn't much at all! In fact this might be indicative of potential new scenes and improved pacing in the middle part of the show, which has thus far been its weakest point.

I wonder if this is intended to be a sort of a director's cut, or an otherwise ultimate version of the first season rather than a compilation.

EDIT: One other example that comes to mind is Madoka Magica movies 1 and 2 which also adapted the ~275 minute total runtime of the TV show into just under 240 minutes of the movies, cutting less than 15% of overall runtime. Although to be exact, in Madoka's case the second movie only adapted 1/3 of the episodes and was vastly superior in terms of editing and production values, whereas the first movie was hit much harder in terms of cutting and compressing of the content it adapted.

This might end up the case with MiA movie 1 as well, as I expect it to end when they depart the Seeker Camp, thus encompassing almost 8 episodes worth of content in two hours. There's pretty much no chance it won't contain the Seeker Camp mini-arc, because in that case the second movie would have to deal with even more content, and episodes 10–13 are actually paced tighter than 3–7 for the most part.
moozoohMar 19, 2018 10:23 AM
Mar 19, 2018 10:18 AM

Sep 2015
is the movie confirmed to be 2h long?
I think MAL just puts the length of a movie to 2h long until the lenght is confirmed.
Mar 19, 2018 10:25 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Salokannel2 said:
I think MAL just puts the length of a movie to 2h long until the lenght is confirmed.

Oh, you might be right. In which case it could end up way shorter than two hours after all. Damn.
Mar 19, 2018 10:31 AM

Jul 2016
Is this a recap of S1? I might be able to show this to my friends who never watched it!

Mar 19, 2018 10:37 AM

Jan 2013
Bleh I hate recap movies. Just watch the series instead but guess they want some extra money on they pockets
Mar 19, 2018 10:45 AM

Oct 2015
Can't wait for it!

And apparently there'll be an "episode-like" project but I didn't get what they mean by this so I'll just leave the text.

Source said:
Made in Abyss has confirmed that the series will receive two compilation films that will let fans relive the events of the anime. Releasing this Winter, the series is also teasing a new "episode" like project that should whet the whistle of fans before the series' sequel season releases in the future.

Source: http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/18/made-in-abyss-anime-movie-announced/
Mar 19, 2018 10:50 AM

Jun 2016
Can't say I'm very fond of Recap movies, but this is probably setting up the atmosphere before the second season of MiA airs, just like the case with the new Code Geass movie trilogy.
Mar 19, 2018 11:02 AM

Jan 2016
The cynical side of me suspects these movies exist since it'll be a long time before they're ready for a season 2 due to the manga being released slowly (seems to be every other month) so they're providing us stuff so we don't forget the series exists.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Mar 19, 2018 11:10 AM
Sep 2017
"Guys how do we get more hype for the second season?!"
"... I Got it! What if we release the first season again but this time in a two part movie with 20% cut out for seemingly no reason"
"...Your a genus!"
Mar 19, 2018 11:15 AM
Sep 2015
Interesting. Only just watched the show within the last few months so not sure I wanna watch some recaps, but the fact these exist seems to bode well for future content in my opinion.

Maybe I will rewatch just 'cause, hope for eventual season 2.
Mar 19, 2018 11:51 AM

Sep 2015
Oni-Baku said:
Bleh I hate recap movies. Just watch the series instead but guess they want some extra money on they pockets

Recap movies are more intended for the [Japanese] audience that may need a refresher of the season before they continue the series with another season. I think it's much more convenient for the average Japanese watcher to attend a recap movie than it is to rewatch the entire thing, and it also helps draw in new viewers, at least, that's how I see how it.
Mar 19, 2018 12:04 PM
Nov 2015
Draconix814 said:
Oni-Baku said:

Recap movies are more intended for the [Japanese] audience that may need a refresher of the season before they continue the series with another season. I think it's much more convenient for the average Japanese watcher to attend a recap movie than it is to rewatch the entire thing, and it also helps draw in new viewers, at least, that's how I see how it.

That's not necessary, a lot of other anime got recap movies but never made it to a second season, take kabaneri for example
Mar 19, 2018 12:17 PM

Sep 2015
Trollsenpai said:
Draconix814 said:

That's not necessary, a lot of other anime got recap movies but never made it to a second season, take kabaneri for example

Um... Kabaneri IS getting another season...
Mar 19, 2018 12:26 PM

Aug 2017
The only thing those two movies imply to me are that we wont get a season 2 until 2020 most likely.
Mar 19, 2018 12:50 PM
Mar 2014
well do recall...the anime had to use a lot of really annoying time-filler stuff to drag it out to end on 26.

And even animes onlys were complaining that the middle of series felt needless drug out (and if you were a manga reader it still felt annoying even if you did understand why they were doing it that way, since it was done as cheaply as possible instead of using the time to show off more of each layer)

They're probably just trimming the filler. Maybe touching up a few of the less graphically pleasing scenes.

Might work on bringing the Ozen scenes up to par with their manga counter-parts. The heavily stylization of that part of the manga is what really sells it, since we're seeing, at all times, the scene from Riko and Reg's perspective and how they've let their emotions cloud their perception which is the whole point Ozen was trying to make. They let their fear get the better of them and lost sight of their surroundings and ability to objectively judge the situation. Which is why from their perspective she appears to become this Eldritch Horror in a sea of darkness that becomes more monstrous the more hopeless they feel.

Stripped from the stylization to set the tone properly it's just Ozen creeping on a couple kids since we rarely get to see their perception of it and it's limited to just a couple scenes.

And as a few anime onlys have put it, just seems like an adult trying to act scary to some kids. Since our perspective in the anime is a detached observer who sees the reality of scene and it's harder to get a feel what the kids are experiencing.

Might skip episode 9 and include the manga version of events.

Or it'll just be anime with all the time-filler tricks and massive over-use of previous scenes removed.

And on the plus side...It'll save me the effort of doing it.
Mar 19, 2018 2:44 PM
Mar 2018
we all waitin for season 2!!
no one needs a compilation movie of season 1!
hope season 2 starts in 2018/2019!
Mar 19, 2018 3:49 PM

Nov 2013
This is really unnecessary. What Made in Abyss needs is not more anime adaptations, it's more manga volumes.
There are already so many manga and novels that are already finished and never had an anime adaptation, and others that never got a second season.
They should be making one movie for each of the Rokka no Yuusha volumes instead of this.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 19, 2018 5:44 PM
Jul 2017
Ya im lowkey mad, this just means that season 2 will take longer to release right? is it so that the manga can get ahead or should there be enough for season 2 now?
Mar 19, 2018 6:06 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
BlackM17 said:
Ya im lowkey mad, this just means that season 2 will take longer to release right? is it so that the manga can get ahead or should there be enough for season 2 now?

Definitely not enough. There are maybe 9 episodes' worth of manga content available at the moment, so best case scenario they can start storyboarding the season in late autumn or so. Which means the adaptation wouldn't air until summer '19 at the very earliest.

On the other hand, they could opt for a feature-length movie adapting the next arc with a satisfying "boss fight" that would otherwise happen right in the middle of the season, around episodes 5 or 6. That would arguably be better, all things considered.
Mar 19, 2018 6:16 PM

Oct 2017
I wonder how they're going to cut the Bondrewd arc in half without looking choppy/ unsatisfying.

There's no suitable break point as far as I know.
Ventus_SMar 19, 2018 6:24 PM
Mar 19, 2018 6:23 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
They don't have to cut it in half. It's the other way around: the Bondrewd arc cuts the 2nd season in half. What remains of the arc where S1 left off, it should take about 2 hours by itself, and the rest will all come from the new arc which is nowhere near done in the manga.
Mar 19, 2018 8:32 PM

Jul 2017
Guys, you are all forgeting the purpose of recap movies. They are aired to retell what happened previously before the new season. At least I hope so. The show was popular af and won "best anime of 2018" award according to crunchyroll. So I think our chances for the 2nd season are pretty high. Manga readers, are there enough material left for the season? If not, I think they are just waiting for it to be. Please, let me know if I missed some important information, ty.
BondieMar 19, 2018 8:39 PM
Mar 19, 2018 9:25 PM

Aug 2013
I thought that season 2 of the anime was already announced with no air date? My assumption is that these movies are meant to keep people somewhat interested while they let the manga get further ahead with season 2 following the release of the second movie.
Mar 19, 2018 9:47 PM
Sep 2016
So will this movie be the sequel to the tv show?
Mar 19, 2018 10:31 PM
Mar 2018
Fancy_Cologne said:
So will this movie be the sequel to the tv show?
nope. same as season 1 but 2 movies instead of 13 episodes
Mar 20, 2018 9:33 AM

Sep 2014
soo 2 years after the series aired they will give us the recap movies? Okay then. Might actually watch them, just because how absolutely amazing the first 3 or so episodes where (the rest was also very good obviously) because after 2 years I will have likely forgotten enough of it to enjoy it again. Right now it feels like it aired last season
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 20, 2018 12:12 PM

Apr 2016
I'd understand if the anime was more than 1 season and it was about 20-25 episodes in length, but Made in Abyss is a fairly short anime and I don't really see the point in a recap movie in my opinion
"Since The Heart Feels Pain So Easily Some Believe Life Is Pain." — Kaworu Nagisa
Mar 20, 2018 5:23 PM
Jul 2017
moozooh said:
BlackM17 said:

Definitely not enough. There are maybe 9 episodes' worth of manga content available at the moment, so best case scenario they can start storyboarding the season in late autumn or so. Which means the adaptation wouldn't air until summer '19 at the very earliest.

On the other hand, they could opt for a feature-length movie adapting the next arc with a satisfying "boss fight" that would otherwise happen right in the middle of the season, around episodes 5 or 6. That would arguably be better, all things considered.

Ah ic, then I hope they give the manga some time then, I dont want a second season to be ruined by filler or to just not feel complete. This recap then feels premature though.
Apr 2, 2018 6:45 PM

Jan 2018
Can't wait for the movies!
This will be a great excuse to rewatch Made in Abyss. Maybe season two will be a 24 episodes?
Apr 4, 2018 3:32 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
kyuusei19 said:
Can't wait for the movies!
This will be a great excuse to rewatch Made in Abyss. Maybe season two will be a 24 episodes?

24 episodes won't happen unless you want to wait until 2021. There won't be enough content for it otherwise.
Sep 23, 2018 7:05 AM
Apr 2018
They are releasing 2 recap movies which mean they will cover most of the show and if there are any others to be released then the entire story may get covered.
Jan 10, 2019 10:43 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, is just a recap, you don´t wish more!!! kekeke
Feb 1, 2019 11:00 AM
Nov 2018
moozooh said:
Salokannel2 said:

Oh, you might be right. In which case it could end up way shorter than two hours after all. Damn.

The run time is estimated to be about 2 hours 15 minutes. Source: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/made-in-abyss?date=2019-03-20%2000:00:00.000
Feb 15, 2019 2:42 PM

May 2014
is it worth seeing in theaters even though it's just a recap if you loved the anime?

is there any new content at all?
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Dec 30, 2019 2:43 AM
Apr 2018
Where can you watch this now?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Movie 1: Tabidachi no Yoake Episode 1 Discussion

Terrestrious - Mar 20, 2019

24 by WELLERM »»
Dec 7, 2023 11:44 PM

» Help me.....

El-Psy__Congroo - Jan 28, 2022

7 by Xileop »»
Oct 16, 2022 6:19 PM

» Does this have new tracks?

APolygons2 - Sep 9, 2022

1 by Tomek-Masiewicz »»
Sep 9, 2022 1:56 AM

» Why the low score?

PKDMO - Jan 24, 2019

21 by Dawizz »»
Aug 2, 2022 7:54 PM

» Sub or Dub

Konan_Edogawa_ - Mar 25, 2019

5 by WhyDontYouTurn »»
Jan 11, 2021 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.