Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 18, 2018 1:06 PM

May 2017
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'm still curious about it. So many people really loved devilman crybaby, but I found it quite dissapointing. The animation wasnt all that great, and the execution wasnt all that good in my opinion either. It just felt like a B movie, but anime, so I was confused when everyone was praising it. It was just bland and kinda crap imo. What are your guys' reasons for liking it? And on the contrary, what are some of the reasons some of you disliked it? Just curious! :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 18, 2018 1:43 PM
Oct 2017
i cant think of another anime that has captured the same vibe of gritty neon violence that's behind miami hotline, really idiosyncratic
Mar 18, 2018 1:46 PM

Feb 2016
Because Netshits produced it and Yuusa is the director(instant >8 score).
Mar 18, 2018 1:53 PM

Sep 2017
because it's aoty of the year no other anime exists besides devilman crybaby therefore everyone likes devilman crybaby and rwby i think
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Dec 2017
Some love it, others despise it, some thinks it's okay. It's a thing about taste. Some may like pineapple pizza, others don't. And so does on.
Mar 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2016
People like it because it was violent, overhyped, and easily accessible on Netflix. It was a lot of people's first Yuasa show or first ultra-violent show. I found it decent, but it's a pretty bad adaptation of Devilman and Yuasa's weakest show. I didn't find the art style to fit well and it looked pretty flat during non-action scenes. A lot of the changes were implemented poorly (Jinmen part tried to be more personal, but without any prior attachment to Akira's mother it actually left less of an impact than being some random girl) and seemed to change the message of the original too much in a way which didn't make a lot of sense (making a series by Go Nagai more character driven is a bad idea). The script felt rushed and got rid of a lot of the cheesy charm present in the original which I personally feel it it's biggest weakness. Despite all these flaws, I still found it to be decent mainly because it was based on a great manga and was competently directed.
FullmetalAliasMar 18, 2018 2:05 PM
Mar 18, 2018 1:55 PM

May 2017
Because they all think it have a Deep message about homosexuality and war and yuasa it his director so... it will get so much people
Mar 18, 2018 1:55 PM

Feb 2016
Devilman is a classic and everyone loves Yuasa, basically.

llorandoMar 18, 2018 3:48 PM
Mar 18, 2018 1:56 PM

Mar 2016
Because it is a masterpiece? Goodbye.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Mar 18, 2018 1:58 PM

Feb 2016
TIIIIIIDDDDDDIIIIIIEEEEEEESSSSSS

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 18, 2018 1:59 PM

Jun 2017
Haven't seen it yet but I will, there are a couple of things that may explain it though :

1 an old and legendary manga getting adapted into anime will always catch people's attention.

2 the director who is the same man behind masterpieces such as Kaiba, Ping Pong the Animation and Tatami Galaxy is considered by many the best director in the industry.

3 Netflix can reach more people than Crunchy roll, especially westerners.

4 Once sth becomes a trend, it's unstoppable, Snowball effect yo.

Mar 18, 2018 2:03 PM

Jun 2016
I like the artstyle I thought it was unique(yuusa artsyle is typically like this) but the animation at times isn't the best and it is a hyper-sexual show admittedly but it fits the theme of show. The pacing is super lighting fast.

The big thing for me in the show was it's symbolism and usage of religious themes throughout the anime. the ending being neon genesis-es. I loved it but like people have said it's not for everyone no anime is hell most things in the world aren't for everyone. In the same light just because you may find some anime shit and you find your self in the minority doesn't make you or the majority right. It's just well received in general
Mar 18, 2018 2:03 PM

Jun 2017
I didn't like it either. I think it may be because I didn't know anything about the others Devilman things? All I saw were random boobs, blood and ruuuuushed story. The art also sucked, it looked more like an American cartoon

Mar 18, 2018 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
you should've checked the director to get to know the animation, is also probably the reason why it's rated so high
Mar 18, 2018 2:52 PM
Apr 2017
not a fan of devilman
found it meh.....
Mar 18, 2018 2:53 PM

May 2013
People have their own tastes, honey
Est-ce que ton frigo marche ?
Mar 18, 2018 2:55 PM

Sep 2014
I don't think it's anything that spectacular, but it's definitely a good watch. The whole thing is very fast paced, not boring for a second, the animation is quite unique and pleasing to look at, the music is great, too much violence at times, but nothing unbearable, and the finale is spectacular.

I personally think it's better than the manga it's based on, at the very last. And definitely better than any previous adaptation.
Mar 18, 2018 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
If you look at the seasonal anime charts, there have been no, "adult, gritty, edgy, action" series for a long time.

Devilman Crybaby has that + high production values + Netflix collaborating and allowing it to be available.
Mar 18, 2018 3:16 PM

Apr 2017
I loved the art and ost, I liked the fast pace and the whole anime felt pretty fresh as a whole. And unlike Elfen Lied, it wasn't full of gore and edge for no fucking reason it actually felt justified

Also the rapanese
Mar 18, 2018 3:29 PM

Apr 2017
It's a decent anime overall, a solid 7. Despite the script and pacing issues, its pretty enjoyable. I feel like the people who say that the animation/art wasnt good don't have any criteria, literally. Everything about the art is brilliant. Also, I won't mention anything about people's trash arguments, always with the same stuff, calling everything edgy/pretentious/"Haha, people think it has a deep message when it doesn't. Haha I'm so intelligent" (grow up jeez).
FeR__Mar 18, 2018 3:33 PM
Mar 18, 2018 3:31 PM

Aug 2017
because people dont know what good anime is
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2018 4:39 PM

May 2017
[quote=Maelstrom]you should've checked the director to get to know the animation, is also probably the reason why it's rated so high

I know of the director, and I loved the tatami galaxy, I just thought the animation itself coukd have been better. The style is lit.
Mar 18, 2018 4:40 PM

May 2017
thibaud76200 said:
People have their own tastes, honey

I know, thats why im curious about it! ☺️ I want to see their point of view.
Mar 18, 2018 4:41 PM

Nov 2015
-ryo is a beaut
-adaptation of a cult-classic title
-fluid and distinctive animation/art style
-one of the few grimdark shows in an endless ocean of CGDCT
-ending was a feels trip
-sends out a very feel-good message
-did I mention how beautiful ryo looks?
sugasweetnitmareMar 18, 2018 5:35 PM
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Mar 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Jan 2017
It was really good, that's just my opinion though.

Mar 19, 2018 1:37 AM

Aug 2015
Because it has this old school sex&violence of 90s anime which modern anime lacks
Mar 19, 2018 2:06 AM

Jan 2013
>butcher jinmen's and sirene/silene's arc and personality

Intothetrashitgoes.jpg
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 19, 2018 2:12 AM

Aug 2010
Couldn't even finish it...
Some people praise it because it has a 80's OVA vibe, some praise it because it's so different from today's anime.

I think it's too american (violence, sex, drugs, just like every american series today)
Mar 19, 2018 7:22 AM

Aug 2009
oryouohagi said:
Couldn't even finish it...
Some people praise it because it has a 80's OVA vibe, some praise it because it's so different from today's anime.

I think it's too american (violence, sex, drugs, just like every american series today)

Original manga is from 1972 so that's an invalid remark. Devilman himself is a classic Japanese superhero.

Aquamirror said:
Because Netshits produced it and Yuusa is the director(instant >8 score).

This couldn't be further from the truth. Why do people think that Netflix has the capabilities to actually produce anything? The only thing they do is license anime or go further by getting its exclusive rights, but that's not what the act of producing it is.

It was Aniplex and Dynamic Planning who were the actual producers and they got animation studio Science Saru to actually work on the animation. It was primarily done to celebrate Go Nagai's 50th career anniversary as a manga artist, not because Netflix wanted more anime on its platform.

Also, I wished I could have liked it more, but I have my own personal issues with this adaptation, and I think the original manga is just better, not in all areasa, but in many areas.

But to say it's shit is being a modern anime pleb. Nothing strikes more 70s classic than Devilman. It is the magnus opus of its time. Hating on Devilman is a bit like hating Japanese Batman due to him being incredibly influential and iconic. Its character lives beyond the industry.
DocJangarlyMar 19, 2018 7:39 AM
Mar 19, 2018 7:27 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It's an anime that doesn't hold your hand for it's narrative and the style / animation was uniquely distant from everything else and I find that fascinating.
Mar 19, 2018 7:48 AM

Dec 2016
Figendog said:
And on the contrary, what are some of the reasons some of you disliked it? Just curious! :)

I tried to watch it just because it was the anime everyone was talking about then, but I had to drop it immediately; the ugly artstyle, the in-your-face ass shot of the first episode -included for the sake of showing an ass shot-, and the general super dark and gory tone were enough reasons to know that this was not going to be for me. I can't like this stuff, but I obviously respect the ones who do.
Mar 19, 2018 8:28 PM

Apr 2016
Because it's and adaptation of an old school edgy manga. And everyone on this website obviously loves old school edgy manga.
Mar 20, 2018 3:03 AM
Dec 2017
Because it's an adaptation of an old classic, even if it's not nostalgic it makes you cool because you like a classic title, makes you seem like an elitist but you're not because you don't even want to watch the old one. That's what happened to all the people I know that liked crybaby.

And because it's on netflix so yeah.
Mar 20, 2018 3:18 AM

Feb 2017
Because it's old, because it's Yuasa, and because it just matter of taste. Not my "AOTY" but it's pretty good
Mar 20, 2018 4:12 AM

Oct 2012
FullmetalAlias said:
People like it because it was violent, overhyped, and easily accessible on Netflix. It was a lot of people's first Yuasa show or first ultra-violent show. I found it decent, but it's a pretty bad adaptation of Devilman and Yuasa's weakest show. I didn't find the art style to fit well and it looked pretty flat during non-action scenes. A lot of the changes were implemented poorly (Jinmen part tried to be more personal, but without any prior attachment to Akira's mother it actually left less of an impact than being some random girl) and seemed to change the message of the original too much in a way which didn't make a lot of sense (making a series by Go Nagai more character driven is a bad idea). The script felt rushed and got rid of a lot of the cheesy charm present in the original which I personally feel it it's biggest weakness. Despite all these flaws, I still found it to be decent mainly because it was based on a great manga and was competently directed.

Ey I was surprised to feel kind of middling on it, and you summed up why pretty well. They changed so much, but at the same time, they also weren't really bringing anything new to the table. Like they changed enough so that it was basically a different thing entirely from the manga but none of the stuff they added really enhanced it more beyond making the source material seem more generic (Miki cough cough). Everything I liked about Crybaby I felt like I either liked more in the source material or in other things influenced by Devilman. Also found Crybabys Ryo to be kind of a bland interpretation of Griffith, tbh.
Mar 20, 2018 4:14 AM

Dec 2016
Snug_Roku said:
Sex, violence and glossed over philosophy gives people a false sense of intelligence and maturity.
Its just the anime community liking edgy shit for being edgy shit yet again.

Oh. My. God.

THIS. This is precisely it.
Mar 20, 2018 4:19 AM

Dec 2016
Vlad4o said:
Because it's and adaptation of an old school edgy manga. And everyone on this website obviously loves old school edgy manga.

Zakuen said:
Because it's an adaptation of an old classic, even if it's not nostalgic it makes you cool because you like a classic title, makes you seem like an elitist but you're not because you don't even want to watch the old one. That's what happened to all the people I know that liked crybaby.

IdleSolution said:
I didn't like it either. I think it may be because I didn't know anything about the others Devilman things? All I saw were random boobs, blood and ruuuuushed story. The art also sucked, it looked more like an American cartoon

All of this. Man I thought I was in the minority. Still may be, but nice to know others share the same opinions on Devilman.
Mar 20, 2018 5:04 AM

Oct 2015
IdleSolution said:
The art also sucked, it looked more like an American cartoon
Welcome to Yuasa, where his style is evident from the art alone.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 20, 2018 5:37 AM
Mar 20, 2018 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Because its was adaptation of classic manga and adapted by Yuasa. That's it :P

More reason: All people have distinct taste in anime so perhaps this was one of anime that didn't meet your taste.

Mar 21, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2017
Tried to rewatch. If I wanted to see some good sex scenes I would just look at ecchi or hentai. Cause this show does it badly.

Tbh show is garbage and somewhat edgy.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 21, 2018 9:23 PM

Dec 2017
Sonal1988 said:
Vlad4o said:

Zakuen said:

IdleSolution said:

All of this. Man I thought I was in the minority. Still may be, but nice to know others share the same opinions on Devilman.
Your not alone in this cruel world.
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
Mar 21, 2018 10:31 PM

May 2015
Seems the community still thinks edgy actually means something...smh.

Mar 21, 2018 10:35 PM

Dec 2017
Kittens-kun said:
boi... get out of here with that fake shit. You gave Devil Failure Cry Baby Bitch a nine.
Mar 21, 2018 10:51 PM

May 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:
Kittens-kun said:
boi... get out of here with that fake shit. You gave Devil Failure Cry Baby Bitch a nine.

Ok, and? What exactly is your point?

Mar 21, 2018 10:52 PM

Dec 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

Your comment has the gall of saying that people only watch the show for being edgy, but you still gave the series a 9. Boi. Pls tell me that's a joke.
Mar 21, 2018 10:53 PM

Mar 2018
I really didn't like it either, so much so that I ended up dropping it. The entire thing where eventually everyone dies just wasn't for me.
The Soviet Union will revive #communism
Mar 21, 2018 10:57 PM

May 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:
Kittens-kun said:

Your comment has the gall of saying that people only watch the show for being edgy, but you still gave the series a 9. Boi. Pls tell me that's a joke.

Um, no, that's not at all what I meant. I'm actually saying that edgy is a dumb buzzword that has lost all meaning, but people still like to use it for whatever reason.

Mar 21, 2018 10:59 PM

Dec 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

Um, no, that's not at all what I meant. I'm actually saying that edgy is a dumb buzzword that has lost all meaning, but people still like to use it for whatever reason.
Because that's what this show is.
Mar 21, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:
Kittens-kun said:

Because that's what this show is.

Do you have anything else to say besides buzzwords?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have a small doubt!

Jai_akash - Apr 18

5 by catfelix »»
Apr 18, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

517 by KitanoKen66 »»
Mar 12, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

92 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Devilman: Crybaby Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

lordzeru - Jan 5, 2018

159 by Isca_Riot »»
Mar 5, 8:20 AM

» Why do people love it so much ( 1 2 )

Bardocen - Sep 18, 2021

53 by xONLYINHUMANx »»
Feb 18, 6:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.