Forum Settings
Forums

My visual novel blog (shameless self-promotion thread)

New
Mar 16, 2018 10:43 AM

Dec 2017
Hey there,

I wasn’t sure whether to post it here or in the Creative Corner, but I though that it will more likely be of interest to people browsing this subforum. 😊

Visual Novels are a bit of a less-appreciated/niche part of otaku media, but one I got really hooked on some time ago. Looking for an outlet to share my passion for them I’ve ended up creating a blog on Fuwanovel Forums. While it started with a very humble goal – sharing my thoughts on the games I play and commenting on the state of western VN market, it lately started to expand into something slightly more substantial and I tough the content I offer might be interesting to some of you guys.

I usually focus on reviews and recommendations, but today I’ve published my first developer interview, where I’m talking with Jackie M. of Reine Works studio about their latest project, The Seven Districts of Sin (which I also reviewed), and general realities of western VN market. I will have another review on the blog this month and I hope to keep the content varied in near future. New posts show up every Friday.

You can also follow me on Twitter, if you know about any updates on the blog and check out my Steam Curator page, if you’re interested in playing some quality Western-made VNs in the future.

If you managed to read this far, thank you for your time! <3 I will appreciate all feedback/criticism you might offer. Do you find western-made VNs an interesting topic? What do you think about western “weeb” productions in general? My blog was very much though out as something to counter negative stereotypes about western VNs, but I very much wonder what’s their perception in broader otaku community. 😊
Plk_LesiakOct 13, 2018 4:03 AM
Mar 16, 2018 7:31 PM

Dec 2014
The only EOLVNs I truly enjoyed were Christine Love's......One thing about her writing that I really really took a liking was the way her words flow so fluidly. It's so satisfying to read and also, her use of bgms doesn't break your immersion towards the novel, rather, it serves to amplify the feel of the scenes more. One example of EOLVN that handles insertion of bgms to almost all scenes so terribly is "Campus Notes - Forget Me Not". While the story was interesting enough for me to finish it, the bgms were excruciatingly a torture that I had to mute my volume.

So, I think VN developers should also take into account the proper setting of the atmosphere, not only the writing.
thefreeloaderMar 16, 2018 7:42 PM
Mar 16, 2018 11:35 PM

Dec 2017
thefreeloader said:
The only EOLVNs I truly enjoyed were Christine Love's......One thing about her writing that I really really took a liking was the way her words flow so fluidly. It's so satisfying to read and also, her use of bgms doesn't break your immersion towards the novel, rather, it serves to amplify the feel of the scenes more. One example of EOLVN that handles insertion of bgms to almost all scenes so terribly is "Campus Notes - Forget Me Not". While the story was interesting enough for me to finish it, the bgms were excruciatingly a torture that I had to mute my volume.

So, I think VN developers should also take into account the proper setting of the atmosphere, not only the writing.

Oh, I completely agree when it goes to Christine Love's VNs, she uses a lot of interesting techniques to strengthen player immersion. I really like how in Analogue the UI and the way to explore the game are embedded within the story and setting - quite a unique and ingenious approach. :)

And I had to check it to be sure, but Campus Notes is actually a Japanese game. Dogenzaka Lab is just one of these rare JP indie publishers that release games simultaneously in Japan and in the West. ^^
Plk_LesiakMar 16, 2018 11:40 PM
Mar 17, 2018 12:37 AM

Dec 2014
Plk_Lesiak said:
And I had to check it to be sure, but Campus Notes is actually a Japanese game. Dogenzaka Lab is just one of these rare JP indie publishers that release games simultaneously in Japan and in the West. ^^
Oooops. Sorry hehe. Anyway, here's my VN list in case you're interested. Dan dan kikoeruThe Boy and Girl Who Studied Aerodynamics
thefreeloaderMar 17, 2018 12:43 AM
Mar 17, 2018 7:54 AM

Dec 2017
thefreeloader said:
Oooops. Sorry hehe. Anyway, here's my VN list in case you're interested. Dan dan kikoeruThe Boy and Girl Who Studied Aerodynamics

I see why you could mistake it for an western-made VN though, it has this distinctly low-budget feel to it. ;p

And well, I see you're a bit of a veteran. You should consider visiting Fuwa forums at some point, we have bitter elitist attitudes and pointless, time-consuming discussions cookies and stuff. Also, on the blog you might find recommendations for some nice, atmospheric OELVN. ;)
Mar 30, 2018 9:30 AM

Dec 2017
Just as one last announcement on this thread, I happen to have another developer interview published on the blog. This time I was talking with Nami, one of the most talented yuri creators in the OELVN scene. Also, for the next few weeks, I'll be publishing posts solely about various western yuri visual novels - it you're into that theme, I'm sure you'll find interesting stuff there. ^^

Also thank you for your patience, my shameless self-promotion stops here. ;)
Oct 13, 2018 3:57 AM

Dec 2017
Hello there again!

I've wanted to make an update for a while now, but somehow couldn't get to it after the forums went back alive. Since I've posted the last time, [url=evnchronicles.blogspot.com]I've moved my blog partially out of Fuwanovel and onto a seperate site[/url], under the new name of EVN Chronicles. I've also moved my Steam Curator account to a new address, to match the rebranding.

I've also had some pretty cool pieces of content, including interviews with ebi-hime, one of the most respected Western visual novel developers and Zetsubou, the author of a very unique fantasy EVN Sable's Grimoire, among other titles.

So, I'll be super thankful if you decide to check out my stuff and have a great weekend everyone!

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3505 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3717 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

48 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

15 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

7 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.