Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Overall impression about Violet Evergarden regarding to the story (up to ep10)

New
Mar 14, 2018 11:25 PM

Oct 2017
I have 2 standards when judging/ marking shows.

One is for show that try to take itself very seriously, I would use a more serious standard to judge the overall storytelling since that's what the show intends to be. (Something like Shinsekai Yori)

One is for shows that tell me outright they're not going to tell the story seriously, but they will let you enjoy the show anyway, so I wouldn't put story as the emphasis when judging, but only the overall enjoyment of it. (Something like Konosuba)

For anime that tries to tell the story with a serious tone, I would judge very closely for the overall pacing of the story, overall transition of the story, character dynamic and growth, and how intelligently the story is told. The storytelling and character decision making should not make me feel like it is insulting my intelligence. (Which Frannx is doing to me right now, even though the story should be taken seriously, I cannot take it seriously at all)

From a story stand point, I can only give Violet a 7 because I believe there're alot of pacing issues and problems regarding to how the story is told. Violet Evergarden feels like a rushed story to say the least because all the character arc and transition goes by way too quickly.

Just one episode and the x character is suppose to be in love / attached to Violet.
Another episode Violet learns all the emotion, etc.
The transition between alot of episodes feels way too fast that it's hard to have a deeper attachment for the side characters, and make the overall story telling feeling cheesy in the end. It's like they just want to force some tears out of you by quickly introducing this character and toss in some drama/ tragic past and expect us to feel something about the character. This overly fast pacing makes the character dynamic far less meaningful to the audience. In ep 9, everyone's reaction to Violet feels way too forced because they barely have any screen-time, interaction with Violet outside of that one character arc episode they're in. It feels way too cheap , almost without weight in the end.

Thankfully the character arc between e7~e8 is done quite right (not flawless though), so it kinda saves the story department of the anime. I can actually feel weight in character's emotion for the first time watching this show.

But since the overall quality of the show is high, I still give Violet an 8 at the end.
Ventus_SMar 14, 2018 11:28 PM
Mar 14, 2018 11:59 PM
Jul 2018
It would be more appropriate to post this as a review instead of a discussion thread imo
Mar 15, 2018 12:05 AM
Feb 2018
Regardless of the shortcomings of the anime; the aspect of the story about a child soldier struggling to integrate herself into society after knowing nothing but war and violence is something that i don't think has ever been approached. It's a very powerful statement on PTSD, war trauma, social re-adaptation and personal loss; and just for that i have to rate it very highly.
Mar 15, 2018 12:28 AM

Apr 2013
Yeah pretty much agree with your overall impression. I also feel that many transition on most of the episodes is a bit too fast which cause the emotional impact of the story is weaker than it could if it had been smoother.
Mar 15, 2018 5:35 AM
Jan 2018
This show started the journey with many bad responses that generally came from people who have read their light novels. and the most highlighted associated with many original content at the beginning of the story and the rapid transference from one story to another that ultimately impressed her unreasonable story from the main character Violet Evergarden.

But (something that impressed me in this show is) slow but sure one episode to the other one we could see development character that's showed by violet. From episode 1-3 Violet expression like a robot
She's really don't understand with people emotions or people behavior.then in EP 4-6 Violet starting her response and emphaty to people problems. And at the rest episodes Violet's emotions is exploded as if the emotion that had long been stored in his heart forced to come out until it finally exploded. She's crying, shouting, angry, and any emotions that mixed even she thinks to end her life!

Overall I sure that this show ranking is 8,5-9. And now we have 4 episodes to be waiting and I hope that will end this show amazingly.
Mar 15, 2018 5:47 PM

Aug 2012
Coming from the Light Novels I am greatly disappointed in how they basically took the entire series and went full political rtrd in the production, its too bad most of you do not speak Japanese cause you would go to the Japanese forums were they discuss anime, its not pretty when it comes to Violet Evergarden anime adaptation.
Basically they are ready to bring back the Empire just to punish KyoAni for their misdeeds.

I would tend to agree, episode 10 basically just confirmed that the entire series production is politically based, they removed the gun cleaning scene from the book, they basically turned Violet into some kind of childish girl who in the novel actually had a personality but rather that of a soldier, in the anime its more like a child with down syndrom tendencies.

This is KyoAni going full rtrd like they did with Clannad and its one of the reason why a certain director was fired from their studio, because he was talentless hack and there were too much backlash since he made every female character 1D, Violet Evergarden is 1,5D an improvement but a pathetic coming from a book were she is highly developed.

I also do not understand why they changed the flow from the novels compared to the anime, the books had very good flow that was sensible, you had the establishment of the main character (future) and then you went into her past and then you went back into the future but before the establishment arch. Basically showing her adjusting to society and finding someone I wont name.
The anime takes this, shits on it and cuts it to pieces and simplifies it so Americans can understand it, after all its a Netflix series. And if you disagree with me that this series was simplified for Americans, well you are of course wrong because I have a major piece of proof to this fact, when she writes the play for Oscar Webster in episode 7 in the novel its completely different, he lives in a villa and in one scene she uses his bath in which he accidentally enters, and well the novel describes in great details what he sees in front of him, there no such scene in the anime in fact they got rid of the entire villa and just replaced it with a cabin LOL.

KyoAni is no stranger in showing certain features of a male nor female body, but you know why there no such thing in the anime adaptation of Violet Evergarden? Well let me tell you this, you see in America they can show people getting gutted live on TV and screaming in pain, but soon as you show ONE nipple, the FBI is on your case.
Its a Netflix show so tits are forbidden at certain age restriction in fact so is showing too much skin LOL.

Its politically motivated changes, should never been there and it should never been funded by Netflix.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Mar 15, 2018 6:18 PM

Aug 2017
I appreciate your opinion, Ventus_S.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 16, 2018 11:59 AM
Mar 2018
I love this show but
The ending music sucks
The side characters need a bit more depth

Other than that
The visuals are a breath taking
I love the episodes where violet goes to war and the ones
Where she writes for people as the main plot
Episodes 10,7,8 were the best currently

This anime is 9.7 for me not a huge otaku but I did watch quit a few shows
GrimlycatMar 16, 2018 12:04 PM
Mar 20, 2018 2:23 AM

Mar 2017
SMGJohn said:
Netflix Netflix should never been funded by Netflix.

Netflix's money from this will likely be used for KyoAni's future projects. All Netflix ever helped was getting some licensing and dub it "Netflix originals".
Mar 23, 2018 8:55 AM

Aug 2012
Netflix's money from this will likely be used for KyoAni's future projects. All Netflix ever helped was getting some licensing and dub it "Netflix originals".

What is the point of making hack when you could put the director of Hyoukai and actually adapt the book not base it on the book??
Netflix did have hand in the production its such a shame that the interview they did is not translated to English.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Mar 23, 2018 4:22 PM

Apr 2016
It has improved compared to the first half... But I still can't force myself to ignore how some of the episodes feel so disconnected and the way they rush novel content. Especially the way they removed the development between Violet and Hodgins...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Apr 19, 2018 7:51 PM
Jun 2010
SMGJohn said:
And if you disagree with me that this series was simplified for Americans, well you are of course wrong because I have a major piece of proof to this fact, when she writes the play for Oscar Webster in episode 7 in the novel its completely different, he lives in a villa and in one scene she uses his bath in which he accidentally enters, and well the novel describes in great details what he sees in front of him, there no such scene in the anime in fact they got rid of the entire villa and just replaced it with a cabin LOL.

I'm sorry. I know this post is over a month old, but I laughed out loud as I read this part. Removing a scene of one character walking in on another character bathing is irrefutable proof that they simplified the material for American audiences? How . . . just . . . how?

Even if you want to make the case that they removed it because they thought western audiences wouldn't react well to it, how does it simplify the show? Is one character catching another bathing a complicated interaction that would blow people's minds?

KyoAni is no stranger in showing certain features of a male nor female body, but you know why there no such thing in the anime adaptation of Violet Evergarden? Well let me tell you this, you see in America they can show people getting gutted live on TV and screaming in pain, but soon as you show ONE nipple, the FBI is on your case.

Game of Thrones says otherwise. Yes, that's HBO. Yes, this is Netflix. Yes, it's generally seen as low to include nudity in entertainment in the US, but it's sure as hell not illegal. Yes, I'm aware the you're being sarcastic, but the you from a month ago also seems, to me, unreasonably upset that he didn't get to see a teenage girl naked.

Its politically motivated changes, should never been there and it should never been funded by Netflix.

I'm pretty sure they didn't fund it. I could be wrong, but I think they just licensed the rights to stream it. Definitely not the same as funding it.

I would tend to agree, episode 10 basically just confirmed that the entire series production is politically based, they removed the gun cleaning scene from the book . . .

I haven't read the novel so I can't compare, but I don't recall there being anything political at all in episode 10. It's an episode about

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

498 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Mar 26, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.