Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Mar 20, 2018 5:57 PM

Oct 2015
So Ann will receive those letters for the next 50yrs, damn that mother is the greatest ever. I was touched by this ep and it was better than the others. Thank the lord they didn't show Violet's obsession with the major, I'm kinda tired of that crap that titty has been sucked dry already.

Move on and touch people as a doll, most of all find your love not this obsession. I swear if it ends with the revision of the major story, I will give this 1 to -10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 20, 2018 7:15 PM
Jul 2018
I’m not crying, there’s just something in my eye!
Mar 20, 2018 11:59 PM

Mar 2009
Why the hell did I watch this right before going to bed tonight? WTF is wrong with me?
And I thought the previous episode was emotional...

Completely lost it when they revealed that her mother wrote a letter to her every year on her birthday. And Evan Call's soundtrack is incredible, by the way. Rivaling the best soundtrack of 2017, Made in Abyss.

Oh, well. Guess I'll cry myself to sleep tonight!
Mar 21, 2018 10:29 AM

Nov 2012

OK WHO DAFUQ PUT A BIG BOWL OF F***KING ONION HERE?
Mar 22, 2018 5:18 PM

Nov 2013
wow, while i was expecting the mother to die soon (so it was a little less emotional than it could have been), i never expected that the letters were gonna be sent to Anne...and 50 of them? geez =O

all in all was a pretty good episode, and seeing Violet crying at the end, saying she had to fight her urge to cry while in the house...was an awesome moment
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 22, 2018 5:52 PM
Feb 2016
-Stray said:
Ok... this fucking got me.. a lil too much... this anime has been on a roll ever since the flashback on ep 8 started, please keep this up!

Got me 3 times in 1 episode, this is too much...
Mar 22, 2018 10:13 PM

Dec 2010
I really can't remember the last time I cried so much with an anime.
Mar 22, 2018 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
This threw me for a curve since the show as a whole really hasnt hit me with too many feels overall, and 9 was really the first to leave me with noticeable impact.

The second Ann got that first letter in the mail and it said happy birthday I knew immediately that every letter was going to be for her and I started bawling. I had figured at least one letter would be to her, but it definitely took me by surprise when I heard happy birthday.

God fucking damn, that was sad. And to think I watched episode 12 of Yorimoi right before this too. Fuck me man, I was not prepared for the night I was gonna have when I sat down to watch these.
Mar 23, 2018 12:23 AM

Jan 2013
MF'r! I was on panic mode when I thought they time skip and nervously I would see Violet as an obaasan! damn thank god I was wrong. It was all an future imagination of Violet... got me sweaty hands there.
Pyon2WarpKunMar 23, 2018 12:29 AM
Mar 23, 2018 12:53 AM

Jun 2017
At first I was so annoyed with Ann because I know those letters were for her, but i love how her possible future was shown, it was so beautiful, plus the husband and baby, a beautiful ending for her.

I was alright until Violet cried at the end, so I can't stop thy tears as well. I love this Violet, the one who understands and feel great level of emotions. She's growing more beautifully.
Mar 23, 2018 3:29 AM

Feb 2014
Hands down the best episodes so far. Whoever did the voice acting for Ann, really hit it out of the park, especially the parts where she was crying. Can't find Ann's entry in the staff list, but her voice sounds a lot like Tomoyo Kurosawa's to me.
And then came the reveal towards end.
Also, pretty ironic the best episode of the show barely had anything to do with the main cast.
Mar 23, 2018 7:37 AM
Jan 2016
Wow...I can only say that...it really hurts so much...Mom's love and kindness will be a blessing for the children forever and ever. Yeah, the most important thing for Mom is her children and that 50 years letter is a really brilliant idea... Best episode of this season!!!
Mar 23, 2018 9:04 AM

Aug 2012
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Could you elaborate on this please? I havent read the novel.

There vast difference between the novel and the anime, Violet Evergarden as a character is actually quite complex in the novel compared to the anime, why these decisions were made is anyones guess, I suppose Netflix and KyoAni wanted to streamline everything.

Also in the novel there explicit scenes of war, nudity of Evergarden herself which okay I get it, you would not want this to be R18 rated sure fine, censors exists though.

The anime also is completely in the wrong order, the novel had a very nicely buildup to the "current day" arc which is the second book takes place I wont spoil anything from that one.

But the anime seem to mix the first and second book together which makes no sense, there no coherent buildup anymore, this was most likely made because the director is inexperienced which he is, he is not a good director imao.

Both novels are translated by fans into English I highly recommend anyone read them if they really like Violet Evergarden I found it vastly more emotional than the anime which makes it hard to get to know Violet because its simply just so stupidly put together still I really enjoyed seeing the scenes put into animation that were actually following the book.

There is a scene were Violet kisses a dying soldier whom she is writing a letter for, in the newly released episode 11 that was removed, in the book she kisses him on the mouth because its his dying wish this made Violet seem like she had grown into a mature woman a stark contrast to what she used to be, a soulless child soldier who just followed orders like a robot.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Mar 23, 2018 9:08 AM

Aug 2012
aiem said:

Novel is translated and is easily available. You know that someone can easily see through your bullshit with regards to this episode.

Which means you have not read the novel at all, most likely because you are a lazy hating American, oh WOW, who could have guessed? Seems pretty normal coming from your country!

Prove me wrong, the order of which things happens is VASTLY different from the novel, almost all the episodic arcs are different from the novel they are not a direct translation.

It is for a fact that we who actually READ the novels realise that Violet Evergarden the anime is not an adaptation but it is BASED ON the novels.
There is a difference you know or do you even know what that means?
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Mar 23, 2018 10:01 AM

Jul 2012
I figured the letters were for Anne to read after she passed, but one for every birthday was such an amazing idea. There's something similar to or just like this this in another story, but I don't quite remember where I remember this from...

Violet crying at the end there really shows us how much she's grown since the start of the series. Watching her throughout these past 10 episodes have been such a wonderful experience.
Mar 23, 2018 10:22 AM

Nov 2017
its hit me. last time i crying is watching harutobi no mori e. now that damn feels is back again. Best episode of VEG

Mar 23, 2018 11:24 AM

Feb 2009
Damn this was too emotional. I really had to hold back my tears for most of the episode.
Mar 24, 2018 12:54 AM
Apr 2007
the episode adopted from the japanese film
"birthday card"
anybody watched it ?
Mar 24, 2018 1:37 AM
Oct 2017
I am destroyed after watching this episode. I cannot handle it.
Mar 24, 2018 4:39 AM
Oct 2017
Hey in the LN..do they show about ann again..like do violet meets ann again ?..i am feeling horrible for the child ... cried 2 times
.please can anyone tell ?
Mar 24, 2018 7:51 AM

Oct 2008
omg Violet cried!
This was a very emotional episode!
so, all of those letters are for Anne's birthday every year since she won't be anymore with her mother...so sad!
Violet is increasingly showing more emotions rather being the boring stoic Violet that acts like a robot! good improvement...
5/5.

Mar 24, 2018 5:30 PM

Sep 2013
Best episode so far. It made me cry. 11/10
Mar 25, 2018 12:08 AM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
That episode was hard to watch. I just had to put my dog to sleep not even a week ago. I'm kind of regretting watching it now.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Mar 25, 2018 12:11 PM

Jan 2013
20 years old and with a kid already, you're doomed my lady
Mar 26, 2018 12:31 AM
Jul 2014
the whole time i was watching this i was thinking about my own mother if she was gone what will happen to me n i cldnt help but cry throughout the whole episode. this was a really wholesome episode indeed
Mar 26, 2018 6:47 AM

Oct 2015
Quite the good episode to say the least. Although there are some questionable scene directions that could have been improved, the emotional impact behind the episode is my favorite out of all the episodes so far. And Anne reminded me how annoying kids can be.

5/5
Mar 26, 2018 7:51 AM

Apr 2015
Back to normal proceedings, it seems?

Welp, that was fun. Fabulously done, I commend ya. Though mayybe it was a bit too long towards the end, and I am not a fan of Chihara's singing, but there's just my nitpicking self
Mar 26, 2018 9:04 AM
Oct 2017
Literally one of the best episode.. it was beautiful and touching, I got all teary watching this one..
Mar 26, 2018 9:35 AM

Jan 2016
as soon as they shown that the mother was writing letters for her daughter the entire time, I bust out in tears. That is so beautiful and I kept feeling bad for that daughter. smh. and I love how each episode, Violet grows and learns more about emotion and feels more too. able to put herself in someone else's shoes and understand. She cried for that little girl. But, in the end, she did quite well for herself. All thanx for her mother's creative way of showing her daughter that she is still there.

such a tear jerker :'(
Mar 26, 2018 11:08 AM

May 2009
This was literally one of the best stand-alone eps ever. Never once in those +-23 minutes I regret watching it, lol.

Can't hide the feeling that it felt like a better story than Violet Evergarden all-together will ever be... Sorry tho ^^'
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Mar 27, 2018 10:34 PM
Mar 2016
i cried, 10/10
really good episode, it made me grateful for still having my mother
Mar 28, 2018 8:45 AM

Jul 2008
Once again, another wonderful emotional episode T.T I have cried on several episodes.
Mar 28, 2018 8:18 PM
May 2014
I haven't felt this broken since Clannad:After Story and Angel Beats.
Mar 29, 2018 8:36 AM
Restless One

Apr 2016
Damnit KyoAni, you wanna kill me or somethin? This is some 10/10 stuff.
I witnessed a loli spill from a cartridge and somehow retained my sanity.
Mar 29, 2018 8:02 PM

Apr 2016
I'm not crying...you're crying...shut up! :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2018 6:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Possibly the best episode of this season!!!!
Very sad, just think that a kid can lose his father or mother (in this episode) just with 8 years, is very horrible!!!
The letter was a great idea, but a sad idea, because if you think that you are mother/father what you will say to your daughter!!!
How i said, the best episode of this episode....if Violet cried, i cry too!!!
Mar 30, 2018 9:51 AM

Jan 2010
Oh man... This episode got me in the feels. I teared up at the end when Violet started crying too. Even after her mother's death, Ann will always get a new letter from her mother, every year for the next 50 years of her life. That's probably the greatest gift she can get from her mother. A letter, every year... :'')
Mar 30, 2018 6:33 PM

Jun 2009
I ended up literally sobbing in this ep. Def. my favorite ep. so far!
Apr 1, 2018 1:01 PM
Aug 2012
Well, nice episode. As close as any show will ever get to almost make me shed a tear.
Apr 1, 2018 7:06 PM

May 2010
Don't remember the last time I was crying this much while watching anime. Even though I saw the twist coming about halfway through this ep! I was prepared for the incoming feelz, and yet lolnope, I ended up not only tearing up, but weeping, like this was my own mother T^T

And later seeing Ann growing up, ughhh, I can't take it anymore!
Apr 2, 2018 10:15 AM

Jan 2012
I hadn't teared like this in years. This one hit hard
Apr 2, 2018 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
This episode hit a little too close to home cause right now I'm in the hospital it's my 5th day here. Looks like I'm gonna live but being here really puts life into perspective.
Apr 3, 2018 11:26 AM
Mar 2015
This episode was the strongest for me. I cried like a baby and I was swimming in tissues. But I'm sure the last episodes are going to be way more emotional than this.
Apr 3, 2018 3:56 PM

Jun 2015
holy.. i cried like a damn baby
Apr 6, 2018 6:54 AM
Nov 2013
BlueSkylark said:
Draigg said:

I wouldn't call it a heartless show, but its episodic nature makes it hard for the viewer to get emotionally attached to anyone and Violet isn't all that charming.

And I guess this just plays with people who have been deeply hurt by the death of a close family member or feel they are not prepare for it.
Clannad AS
I haven't been with a romantic partner I cared so much, I would feel devasted by them being gone from my life and while I haven't had kids, I kind of feel like my dog is like my child so maybe that's why I cried with Ushio and not with Nagisa.

In short, if you can't relate to the story, it won't do much for you. You can empathize and imagine how it would feel, but when you relate to the story, it's basically as if someone was able to easily play with your feelings.

I agree with Violet Evergarden not being all that good though. I mean, it's fine to pass time and it's eye candy, but the story is episodic and Violet isn't relatable... and knowing she is 14... that was a shocker. If you compare Violet and that princess, they don't look like they have the same age...

So what you are saying is that the characters in Violet Evergarden shouldn't be considered as characters in the traditional way, but more as self-inserts for the audience to relate to. Which would mean reducing the characteristics of those could be seen as positive, cause it is easier to self-insert when a character is as blank as possible. Cause that way you have less things that would be contradictory to your own self-perception.

Mhm, not quite. I wouldn't say call it self-insert, but I see why some may look at it that way. What I meant is that in any kind of entertainment, whether it's a movie, a book, manga or whatever, if you can relate to the characters' story and feelings, then it will mean something to you. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bland character so you can easily imagine yourself as the protagonist.

In Violet Evergarden we never really get to know any of the characters other than Violet, so they are bland, but I don't think those characters were created with the intetion to have people insert themselves into their shows. Though this is a really weak argument and now that I think of it again, the characters might actually be there for the sake of self-insert. I mean, if we had gotten to know some of the characters better, then we would empathize with them, which wouldn't be self-insertion... actually, I don't really know.

And sorry for the really late reply.
Apr 6, 2018 6:39 PM

Mar 2018
Wow.

I think this episode is going to be in the running for most emotional episode of anime ever. Maybe even more so than the Mitty episode of Made in Abyss. Hrmm. Maybe not. That one is a real gut-wrencher too. What do you guys think? Have you seen an episode more emotional than this one?
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Apr 6, 2018 6:50 PM

Mar 2018
Jonesy974 said:

God fucking damn, that was sad. And to think I watched episode 12 of Yorimoi right before this too. Fuck me man, I was not prepared for the night I was gonna have when I sat down to watch these.

Yeouch that is rough! Hope you made it through okay ;-) Go watch an episode of Gurren Lagan or something! ( not that episode though!!! :-P )
♫ やっと見つけた織姫様 だけどどこだろう彦星様
これじゃひとりぼっち ♫

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Apr 7, 2018 11:47 AM

Aug 2012
It's been a long while since I've shed tears this much. While some might say that this episode is predictable, for me, it's the delivery that matters (and they nailed it imo)

Best episode so far, enough to bump up my score from 8 to 9.

My Youtube page: link
Apr 7, 2018 6:36 PM
Jun 2016
Came back to mal just to say that this was the strongest episode of this season. It just resonated with me and almost made me shed a tear especially with the theme centered on family. Also, this show is one of the prettiest and gorgeous shows and im glad it gave an equally touching and beautiful story. Only the most hardened of hearts would approach this episode negatively.
Apr 8, 2018 12:43 AM

Jun 2013
Violet bonding with child....loving it....and how she broke after returning from the job.....tough Personally I would cry too after that....making the mother's letters to the daughter and sending them to her after she passes away for next 50 years? I am not shamed to say I am crying.

Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

498 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Mar 26, 5:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.