Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 13, 2018 9:01 AM

Dec 2014
Sorry if my english is not very good
-
I really do not know how to watch this series.

There is the series from 1973 https://myanimelist.net/anime/1661/Cutey_Honey
There is the series from 1997 https://myanimelist.net/anime/1853/Cutey_Honey_F
And there's this OVA (what's Devilman doing there? Lol) https://myanimelist.net/anime/2497/Shin_Cutey_Honey
And there's this OVA, too (its look awesome)
And there's the new series in the spring of 2018, it will be a remake?

The series from 97 is a remake to 73 series?
GAINAX OVA is a remake or one story?
I would really like to explain how to watch this series and also answer the questions I asked ..

Mar 13, 2018 9:08 AM

Sep 2014
Devilman is another Go Nagai's work and his characters crossover between the series, there are movies featuring mazinger and devilman etc, though he doesn't play any important role in Shin, more of a cameo in the last episode afair

You should probably watch it in release order, chronology is apparently there (shin is a sequel to original series), although it's of no real importance, as they share little beyond the main character
Don't forget to also see Re:Cutey Honey, which is an interesting take on it by Imaishi and Gainax, a short action-packed arc

but I don't think subs to the 97 F version are out there, or at the very least I don't know where to find them
I was only able to find the short movie subbed, and in a horrible quality
ImaishiMar 13, 2018 9:15 AM
Mar 13, 2018 9:08 AM

Jul 2015
They're all different adaptations as far as I'm aware.
I saw Re: Cutie Honey and Shin Cutie Honey. Re: Cutie Honey is a Gainax thing directed by Hideaki Anno, and Imaishi (Kill la Kill) directs the first ep. it's a bit inegal, but first ep at least is worth it. Very interesting art style that foreshadows all of Imaishi's future styles.
Shin Cutie Honey is more the conventionnal action with titties 80's stuff.
Mar 13, 2018 9:21 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
You should watch all the parts.
Start with the original Cutey Honey followed by Shin Cutey Honey.
Cutey Honey F Isn't subbed sadly (If it is and you find it let me know pls.) and it's followed by Cutey Honey Flash: The Movie (This one is subbed and you can watch it without watching Cutey Honey F if you've seen the other parts)
the last part is Re: Cutey Honey (my personal favourite of the series).
Mar 13, 2018 9:21 AM

Dec 2014
Clebardman said:
I saw Re: Cutie Honey and Shin Cutie Honey. Re: Cutie Honey is a Gainax thing directed by Hideaki Anno, and Imaishi (Kill la Kill) directs the first ep. it's a bit inegal, but first ep at least is worth it. Very interesting art style that foreshadows all of Imaishi's future styles.

There is no connection between the series?
Is it episodic?
Maybe i will watch gainx ova(or the new series) and if i like it i saw the 97\73\shin..
Imaishi said:
Devilman is another Go Nagai's work and his characters crossover between the series, there are movies featuring mazinger and devilman etc, though he doesn't play any important role in Shin, more of a cameo in the last episode afair

You should probably watch it in release order, although it's of little importance, as they sharre little beyond the main character
Don't forget to also see Re:Cutey Honey too, which is an interesting take on it by Imaishi and Gainax

but I don't think subs to the 97 F version are out there, or at the very least I don't know where to find them

There are sub of 97

You know if the new seires is remake?

Mar 13, 2018 9:24 AM

Sep 2014
CardcaptorMadoka said:
Clebardman said:

There is no connection between the series?
Is it episodic?
Maybe i will watch gainx ova(or the new series) and if i like it i saw the 97\73\shin..
Imaishi said:

You should probably watch it in release order, although it's of little importance, as they sharre little beyond the main character
Don't forget to also see Re:Cutey Honey too, which is an interesting take on it by Imaishi and Gainax

There are sub of 97

You know if the new seires is remake?

Can you tell me where? I haven't seen them anywhere, even asked on the forums and got no help
Mar 13, 2018 9:25 AM

Dec 2014
KushHaze said:
You should watch all the parts.
Start with the original Cutey Honey followed by Shin Cutey Honey.
Cutey Honey F Isn't subbed sadly (If it is and you find it let me know pls.) and it's followed by Cutey Honey Flash: The Movie (This one is subbed and you can watch it without watching Cutey Honey F if you've seen the other parts)
the last part is Re: Cutey Honey (my personal favourite of the series).

Thank you!
And there in a Nyaa translation to 97 than I see
And the series is episodic? Or is it continuing plot?
and you know if the new seires is a remake?

Mar 13, 2018 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
There are also live versions like the Cutie Honey movie, Cutie Honey The Live, Cutie Honey Tears which are all reboots/reinterpretation of the source material.

The Go Nagai manga is the only one that follows the same continuity. From what I understand, Cutie Honey is followed by Cutie Honey 90s which is followed by Cutie Honey Tennyo Densetsu.

There are also unrelated manga not by Nagai like AGoGo, Cutie Honey by Yu Okazaki, Oeodo Honey, Cutie Honey VS.

Generally, most Go Nagai anime adaptations aren't sequels, but re-imaginings/reboots/remake/spinoffs and this goes for Universe as well.

Mar 13, 2018 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
Moved from Anime Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 7 Discussion

felix1290 - Mar 3, 2015

5 by deoclasher88 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:45 AM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 3 Discussion

Seabury - Dec 13, 2010

6 by povsuduvolosy »»
Dec 4, 2022 1:19 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 11 Discussion

towelgirl21 - May 11, 2015

8 by MagicalStapler »»
Nov 15, 2022 9:02 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 18 Discussion

silverwalls - Jun 9, 2015

3 by Punkero »»
Sep 17, 2022 7:19 PM

Poll: » Cutey Honey Episode 13 Discussion

silverwalls - Jun 7, 2015

4 by Punkero »»
Sep 13, 2022 5:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.