Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Mar 13, 1:33 AM
I mean, anime has everything.

Anime has movements, it has sounds, it has voices and you tend to understand the story better when it's animated.

So why manga?

Mar 13, 1:36 AM

-> anime is more popular than manga

-> anime don't have complete adaptations

Mar 13, 1:42 AM
Lala Deviluke❤️

It's because almost every manga is more detailed than anime..
Reading manga takes lesser time than watching anime
Watching anime/listening to some voice actors in anime could cause damage unlike the manga

Mar 13, 1:43 AM

What gave you the impression that there're more people into manga than anime ?
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Mar 13, 1:47 AM

Pretty sure it's the other way around lol

Mar 13, 1:50 AM

It's totally the opposite in fact.

The same way there are more movie goers than readers.

Mar 13, 1:57 AM
anime is more popular but manga has complete story. i think good question would be why manga has good reputation than anime ?

Mar 13, 2:02 AM
i think it’s the other way around. i rarely see any manga reader in my class, just a few.

and reading manga is just like reading book, especially manga that has a lot of conversation. see if you can finish the manga of Detective Conan or Liar Game without hurting your eyes.

Mar 13, 2:05 AM

Manga is easy to consume. Manga is really ideal for those who like to use a smartphone. It's also a fun way to become smarter. If you read fast, you'll be able to enjoy more story and a good time killer when you often use public transportation.

I believe that you can also complete more anime if you watch in like 1.5 speed because you already know the story from the manga.

Mar 13, 2:14 AM

also on the 'other way around' bandwagon.

i havent seen a manga reader during school, university and work. but there were anime watchers. back then i was a sport/gamer type and could squeeze in to any circle.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396

Mar 13, 2:21 AM

Woah, people want to see the whole story, uncut, nothing left out from the adaptation, easier to consume and depending on what you are reading, amazing art, I wonder why people read manga. Not to mention, a lot of great manga aren't even adapted yet. And it's actually easier for me to understand the story when I read it in manga.

Also, I am 100% sure there are more people who watch anime. I mean, a fair share are already anime-onlys.

Come love,
I'll shape you to be a fine man

Mar 13, 2:27 AM

hazecloud said:
Manga is easy to consume.

I guess that's a point why it could be more popular in Japan.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Mar 13, 2:32 AM

-Lofn- said:
Woah, people want to see the whole story, uncut, nothing left out from the adaptation, easier to consume and depending on what you are reading, amazing art,

But then you're speaking like manga-anime relation is the only thing that matters

FMmatron said:
hazecloud said:
Manga is easy to consume.

I guess that's a point why it could be more popular in Japan.

It's more socially acepted too, as far as i'm concerned

Mar 13, 2:37 AM

greymood said:
-Lofn- said:
Woah, people want to see the whole story, uncut, nothing left out from the adaptation, easier to consume and depending on what you are reading, amazing art,

But then you're speaking like manga-anime relation is the only thing that matters
I mean, I also said about manga that isn't adapted yet if ever they will

Come love,

Mar 13, 4:08 AM

@-Lofn- It's just that when you say "it hasn't been adapted yet" it feels like manga exists for the sake of one day being adapted into animation, when it's a completely individual media that doesn't depends on animation, even tho they do correlate a lot. Kinda like books and movies works

Mar 13, 4:11 AM

greymood said:
@-Lofn- It's just that when you say "it hasn't been adapted yet" it feels like manga exists for the sake of one day being adapted into animation, when it's a completely individual media that doesn't depends on animation, even tho they do correlate a lot. Kinda like books and movies works
I suppose I made it look like that, but we can always hope for them to be adapted is what I meant. I don't expect them to be animated, but sure do hope so.

Come love,

Mar 13, 4:25 AM

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

Mar 13, 4:34 AM

Hello, my name is not Maelstrom and I'm here to increase my post count.

Mar 13, 5:01 AM

is this your first day on mal or something on those lines?

Mar 13, 5:27 AM

Pretty sure anime is much more popular than manga.

On the other hand, most people who consume both will say manga is better than anime.

Mar 13, 5:31 AM

if we looking at purely sales, sure, manga has it much bigger since they are much cheaper to own... but TV ranking win by landslide than manga physical sales...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Mar 13, 5:44 AM

There are? I honestly doubt it.

And rightfully so, because anime is the superior medium that offers everything manga does and more.

Mar 13, 5:49 AM

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity
https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=bypopularity

Just look at this. The top most popular manga Naruto is only more or less 1/6 of top most popular anime Death Note.

This is just MAL saying but I'm sure that there is not that much of difference elsewhere aside from maybe in Japan itself.

Mar 13, 6:28 AM

You can read on your own pacing in Manga.
But anime? You either watch it full for hours or just do it with double speed which seems retarded but interestingly amusing.

If you asked a sane person to watch or read one-piece.
I doubt they even want to watch the thing from episode one.
Reading give you chance to do it less than a week depends on how fast you read.
You also given the full material of how if actually looks before getting adapted.

In some case it looks good like Those popular one or recent "Made in Abyss" or perhaps something like Houseki no Kuni.
But some it looks like a garbage that seems like a disgrace to the anime industry, Berserk the 3D version.

On top of it , some adaptation were never finished and left with cliffhangers.

Mar 13, 6:32 AM

There are more anime fans than manga. I personally sometimes, not following the flow of manga. It confuses me and it is forgetful unlike anime.

Mar 13, 6:32 AM

cause most of manga fans watch anime but some of anime fans don't read manga

I am looking at the stars.
      They are so far away, and their light takes so long to reach us.
      All we ever see of stars are their old photographs.

Mar 13, 6:39 AM

Cause a LOT of people read manga in Japan but only a few people watch anime.

Mar 13, 6:49 AM

Anime is much more popular than manga, at least in the west.

Manga is less time consuming
Anime tends to not be 100% truthful to the source-material.
Manga has a lot more attention to detail
The animation can be poor as well as the voice acting
You read at your own pace, instead of being forced a 20 minute piece.
Using Akira as example, 2 hours of 2k+ pages does not do the source material any justice in terms of story
It's like comparing a book reader to a movie viewer, both prioritize different things
Manga is much more cinematic through the craft of page-writing. Junji Ito's recent anime adaption is a example of this.

This is just a few examples. You're comparing two similar yet very different mediums.

Mar 13, 7:27 AM

ZSTGL_IMA said:
Reading manga takes lesser time than watching anime

...until you catch up with the serialization and worse if you cannot read Japanese.

Edwardx2 said:

Unless the OP meant in Japan in which case it is true. An example would be TV anime like Love Live! has fewer viewers than the number of readers for 3-gatsu no Lion manga in Japan. Not outside Japan, however.

Mar 13, 7:31 AM

What you have just stated is simply not true, there are a lot more anime fans than manga fans, at least outside of japan.
ppl don't think their opinions be wrong, but it do.

Mar 13, 10:06 AM

1. No fillers
2. Better art style
3. No censorship
4. It has an ending
5. More to choose

Of course, it's not a rule. There are exceptions when the anime adaptation is better than the manga (like JoJo or Maid Dragon). That's the general idea. Sadly there are some people with terrible imagination who can't enjoy LN/mangas.

So much human waste, yet so many secrets to discover

Mar 13, 10:13 AM

More variety, wider appeal, less stigma.

Basically Manga is just like reading books, anyone can be into it to some degree, it's not really associated with nerdiness that much (in Japan at least). While anime is a nerdy subculture thing with limited appeal.

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Mar 13, 2:36 PM
</overrated>

Manga is easier and faster to digest. More genre and niche options. The art detail and style are more appealing.

Mar 13, 6:51 PM

If it were true, which it probably isn't, I'm pretty sure it's because 90% of the time the anime doesn't finish the damn plot and you need to read the manga/novels to get some freakin' closure.
"All heroes eventually die of overwork."
-Ikta Solork (Alderamin on the Sky)

Mar 13, 7:15 PM

You mean in Japan? Here in North America anime is a lot more popular than manga is, but in Japan manga is far more popular. Manga is a lot cheaper to make which means it's able to have a lot more variety than anime, but the final product is actually harder or just as hard to translate into other languages and so for foreigners anime is more accessible than manga is, partly because a lot of people here are too lazy to bother reading books.

Mar 13, 7:27 PM

Simple.Because Manga's are better than an anime.

At least when it comes to story,character development,diversity of settings and genres,

Mar 13, 8:01 PM

here in our region i guess anime is more popular than manga

Mar 14, 9:09 AM

I personally read manga more than I watch anime.
Anime is more visually appealing to me and it's great to hear it with music and actually see it in action. However, the story line is often slower so it takes me longer to watch. I read very quickly so in the time it takes me to watch one anime series I could read multiple manga series. In manga, I can imagine how I think a character would sound. I haven't really come across this but animes can mess up how you view a character.
The main reason I prefer manga is what someone said above, adaptation. The story line is often changed and has stuff taken out/added. One anime I can think of like this is Vampire Knight, which somehow I almost finished before dropping.

Mar 14, 9:16 AM

Because people hate nature, and love the satisfaction they get from breathing in the screams of dead tree's drowned in ink.

Mar 14, 6:09 PM

NEO said:
Pretty sure it's the other way around lol
This. "Manga fan" isn't really a popular phrase. "Anime fan", on the other hand...

Mar 18, 5:26 AM

I feel like Anime is way more popular especially in western countries.

Dreams can become reality. You can become a hero.

ll My Hero Academia ll

Mar 18, 5:33 AM

-Ayu said:
I feel like Anime is way more popular especially in western countries.

Mee too, I fell that, at least in my neighboorhood, there are more anime viewers than manga readers.

Play Eternal, the best digital card game ever

Mar 18, 5:35 AM
People prefer manga for the same reason why the earth is flat.
what do you meant the earth is round
"When you die, everybody knows you are dead, except you. It's the same when you have shit taste."

Mar 18, 5:47 AM

What gave you the impression that more people are into manga than anime?

I'd say most people who read manga watch some anime as well. Most people I know who read lots of manga or light novel have watched anime. Even among those who read manga/light novel and don't watch anime anymore, most of them have watched quite a significant number of anime in the past.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

If you like my opinions, consider my YouTube channel | My MAL Interview

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.

Mar 18, 5:51 AM

i usually like the anime more, even if the manga is better.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 18, 6:07 AM

Anime is way more popular than manga dude

Mar 18, 6:37 AM
Manga has Berserk, Anime has failed experiment cgi Berserk(twice)
Manga has 20th Century Boys, Anime has Sword Art Online
Manga has jojo 1->8, Anime has 1->4
Manga has Tsukihime(which is actually great), Anime never adapted Tsukihime
Manga has Shonen Sunday,and Magazine, Anime has Studio Pierrot and Toei

Mar 18, 7:31 AM
And where exactly are we talking about? Anime is more popular than manga pretty much everywhere else in the world outside of Japan.

Mar 18, 7:35 AM

I am pretty sure it's the other way around
Please click on my profile, because these views are the only thing that give my life meaning.

Mar 18, 7:39 AM

in america a comic book (like marvel or dc) is like $2-8 on average with exceptions for special editions. the same applies to japan; their comic books are cheap. thus manga is easier to access than buying anime or waiting days for something airing or rerunning to show. this applies to japan, which is what your op applies to specifically as well

Pages (2) [1] 2 »