Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Mar 12, 11:37 PM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
It seems like the Brotherhood adaptation is the only one worth watching to many people nowadays. It's funny because I watched Brotherhood first twice before even discovering an original adaptation existed. Even though I love both of them equally, I felt like the 2003 version had a stronger impact on me.
To wrap it up, the mean score for the 2003 version dropped even more from what it was before. Even though it is in the top 20 for most popular shows on the website, out of every one of the shows in this group, it is the only one I've seen people actively say not to even consider watching it. Even shows like Sword Art Online, I see people who say "Watch it, but its bad" but for FMA its "Don't watch it its bad it doesn't follow the manga" I think this problem of not following the manga is especially prevelent for shows like Akame Ga Kill, Soul Eater, and Tokyo Ghoul were those shows didn't follow the manga and had vastly inferior stories to their source material. I want to hear your opinions on this
 
#2
Mar 12, 11:37 PM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
Also, does anyone know what the MAL score was for FMA 2003 before Brotherhood premiered?
 
#3
Mar 12, 11:46 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 293
I actually think of getting the best experience watching both of them. As 2003 version takes longer/expands more on the earlier chapters (with Nina an Hughes and all that). Both weren't as impactful to me in Brotherhood as it went over it pretty fast.

Also, according to way back machine, the earliest I could go back was september 2008 and it had a score of 8.78
Link
 
#4
Mar 13, 12:03 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 44
I watched the 2003 version first and did not like it (I gave it a 7). Brotherhood is much better IMO (I gave it a 10), though at the beginning it's pretty fast. I wished I'd watched BH first because I knew some spoilers.
 
#5
Mar 13, 12:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 571
FMA was more like a episodic show in the start. So i just got bored after sometime, whereas brotherhood series was intriguing from the begining to the end. Since i binge watched it, i felt like i was watching a movie. All the events were well connected with each other and nothing was left behind.
I dropped FMA but brotherhood is one of my favorites. So u can see the difference.

Best Couple ---> Senjougahara x Araragi
 
#6
Mar 13, 12:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 454
DoritoFace said:
I watched the 2003 version first and did not like it (I gave it a 7).

You do realize that 7 is a good score. It even says when you go and rate a show on her that 7=good. Unless you thought it was still good despite not liking it.
 
#7
Mar 13, 12:50 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
silent_knight98 said:
FMA was more like a episodic show in the start. So i just got bored after sometime, whereas brotherhood series was intriguing from the begining to the end. Since i binge watched it, i felt like i was watching a movie. All the events were well connected with each other and nothing was left behind.
I dropped FMA but brotherhood is one of my favorites. So u can see the difference.

For me it was quite the opposite, the first 25 episodes of 2003 adapted the manga better. Brotherhood either rushed content covered in the 2003 anime and manga or cut it out entirely. This especially killed any emotional attachment to Nina and Maes Hughes deaths. I didn't fell like Brotherhood hit its stride until later on.
 
#8
Mar 13, 12:51 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
AkiKitazawa said:
I actually think of getting the best experience watching both of them. As 2003 version takes longer/expands more on the earlier chapters (with Nina an Hughes and all that). Both weren't as impactful to me in Brotherhood as it went over it pretty fast.

Also, according to way back machine, the earliest I could go back was september 2008 and it had a score of 8.78
Link

Wow It had an 8.8. That's a massive drop. Compare that to Darker than black which virtually has the same score it has now. Seriously, the 2003 anime has died due to the existence of Brotherhood
 
#9
Mar 13, 1:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 366
I'm currently rewatching it, now at ep 16, and FMA has some bad fillers in those early episode, they break the rules of the world. It's technically inferior to Brotherhood in everything and also everything I fondly remember about FMA is basically from Brotherhood, except Kesenai Tsumi. But when you aren't comparing them, it's a pretty good anime.
 
Mar 13, 1:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 571
Twisterboy said:
silent_knight98 said:
FMA was more like a episodic show in the start. So i just got bored after sometime, whereas brotherhood series was intriguing from the begining to the end. Since i binge watched it, i felt like i was watching a movie. All the events were well connected with each other and nothing was left behind.
I dropped FMA but brotherhood is one of my favorites. So u can see the difference.

For me it was quite the opposite, the first 25 episodes of 2003 adapted the manga better. Brotherhood either rushed content covered in the 2003 anime and manga or cut it out entirely. This especially killed any emotional attachment to Nina and Maes Hughes deaths. I didn't fell like Brotherhood hit its stride until later on.
Well i do agree with u on the Nina case.It was more emotional and tragic in the former one.I watched that arc in FMA( since i dropped it on episode 13) but Maes death was well done in brotherhood in my opinion.I really felt sad when he died.I didnt watch it in FMA though.

Best Couple ---> Senjougahara x Araragi
 
Mar 13, 1:17 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3013
Twisterboy said:
AkiKitazawa said:
I actually think of getting the best experience watching both of them. As 2003 version takes longer/expands more on the earlier chapters (with Nina an Hughes and all that). Both weren't as impactful to me in Brotherhood as it went over it pretty fast.

Also, according to way back machine, the earliest I could go back was september 2008 and it had a score of 8.78
Link

Wow It had an 8.8. That's a massive drop. Compare that to Darker than black which virtually has the same score it has now. Seriously, the 2003 anime has died due to the existence of Brotherhood

I think it was around 8.6 even back in early 2014, when I got myself a MAL account. But it has been dropping drastically since the past couple of years.

Not everything needs to slavishly follow the source material to be good. Nor is the source some infallible gospel that can't be improved upon. The sooner people get that through their skulls, the better will the anime industry be.
 
Mar 13, 2:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 4037
FMA for the parts it adapted was definitely better than what Brotherhood did with it, however, like people said, it's just when the anime original came in, bleh.


Come love,
I'll shape you to be a fine man

 
Mar 13, 2:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 15907
Twisterboy said:
Also, does anyone know what the MAL score was for FMA 2003 before Brotherhood premiered?
have you tried checking the web archive?
 
Mar 13, 6:51 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
romagia said:
Twisterboy said:
Also, does anyone know what the MAL score was for FMA 2003 before Brotherhood premiered?
have you tried checking the web archive?

Yeah. AkiKitazawa used the web archive to check the former score. According to the web archive, in 2008, the anime had a score of an 8.8. Which had the largest drop I've seen. Darker than black virtually has the same score than it did back then
 
Mar 13, 6:56 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356

Also, according to way back machine, the earliest I could go back was september 2008 and it had a score of 8.78
Link[/quote]
Wow It had an 8.8. That's a massive drop. Compare that to Darker than black which virtually has the same score it has now. Seriously, the 2003 anime has died due to the existence of Brotherhood[/quote]
I think it was around 8.6 even back in early 2014, when I got myself a MAL account. But it has been dropping drastically since the past couple of years.

Not everything needs to slavishly follow the source material to be good. Nor is the source some infallible gospel that can't be improved upon. The sooner people get that through their skulls, the better will the anime industry be.[/quote]
Yeah. I feel like aniem following the source material to the tee became especially important thanks to anime that came out didn't do that. (Akame Ga Kill, Soul Eater, Tokyo Ghoul etc.). I just don't understand how an existence of another anime or spiritual successor has the kill the existence of the old show.
 
Mar 13, 8:06 PM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
Erebus25 said:
I'm currently rewatching it, now at ep 16, and FMA has some bad fillers in those early episode, they break the rules of the world. It's technically inferior to Brotherhood in everything and also everything I fondly remember about FMA is basically from Brotherhood, except Kesenai Tsumi. But when you aren't comparing them, it's a pretty good anime.

I know this is kinda of a dead thread at this point, but I was re reading the comments and I missed yours. You said that the earlier episodes "broke the rules of the world." Do you have an specific examples of that. Granted things like archer in the later parts of the series are ridiculous. However, Father Cornell turning into a half cyborg in brotherhood isn't really following the rules of the world either.
 
Mar 13, 8:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5708
I like both, a LOT. I just hated the 2003 version's last dozen episodes. :/ BH fixed everything so it's all good. lol



 
Mar 13, 8:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 7780
They both have their pros and cons, though brotherhood is overall better.



Reviews / MyDramalist Profile
Goodreads Profile

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
 
Mar 13, 8:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 27251
how if i told you that manga exist???
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
 
Mar 13, 10:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1327
I didn't like the Original FMA until it got to the last 3 episodes , those three episodes are pure gold , damn! especially Episode 49 ...

The conqueror of Shamballa is a pretty good movie as well and it closes the story perfectly .

I haven't seen the OVAs though ...


 
Mar 13, 10:20 PM

Online
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 356
These are all great replies and all, but I was wondering if its fair that the existence of Brotherhood tainted the 2003 legacy. Especially the fact the since brotherhood came out, the MAL score for FMA 2003 has dropped a lot.

 
Mar 13, 11:35 PM
Forum Moderator
Scary Person

Offline
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 9620
Thread has been moved to Anime sub-board.

 
Mar 14, 12:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 366
Twisterboy said:
Erebus25 said:
I'm currently rewatching it, now at ep 16, and FMA has some bad fillers in those early episode, they break the rules of the world. It's technically inferior to Brotherhood in everything and also everything I fondly remember about FMA is basically from Brotherhood, except Kesenai Tsumi. But when you aren't comparing them, it's a pretty good anime.

I know this is kinda of a dead thread at this point, but I was re reading the comments and I missed yours. You said that the earlier episodes "broke the rules of the world." Do you have an specific examples of that. Granted things like archer in the later parts of the series are ridiculous. However, Father Cornell turning into a half cyborg in brotherhood isn't really following the rules of the world either.


In episode 4 you have a guy turning a screwdriver or similar sized tool into a full sword 5 times bigger, without the stone. In episode 10 you have that girl thief and she manipulates water to unlock the door which has no relation with Equivalent Exchange. There may be thing like that in Brotherhood too, I'll get to them when I rewatch it. As I said, these episodes are filler.
 
Top