Forum Settings

What Anime cemented your love for the artform? Why?

Mar 12, 4:23 PM

My question is, What was your first anime basically?
or better yet
What Show was the one that got you hooked on Anime and what about that show caught you so profoundly?

For me It was Your Lie in April. Just about my First anime when i got into a little over a year ago(not including pokemon and DBZ back in the day) and Your Lie in April really blew me away with how strongly Anime could convey emotions. No other medium has impacted me as much as Anime. This first one and many other have been some of the only media in general that i have ever teared up too.

There's Something intangible about it but it's awesome nonetheless.

This is a podcast me and my friend recorded going over our introduction into anime and why it captures our hearts so intently vvvvvvv

So, Whats yours? why?
Mar 12, 4:25 PM
Review Moderator
public domain

I don't really have a love for anime in general, I just like animation.
Not sure what show got me interested in the medium as a whole since it has been a very slow and gradual process.
Mar 12, 5:02 PM

My first anime? I honestly don’t remember. I grew up on anime.
What got me hooked on anime? To Love Ru made me interested in the ecchi and harem genre for some time. In general, Love Live.
Love Live really changed me. It made me realize that tour little opinions on anime could actually be huge outlooks on life. Love Live basically made me optimistic. It made me realize I don’t have to think of complex reason why an anime is “””objectively””” good or bad. It made me accepting of people’s attitudes and personalities, and that I shouldn’t hold any entitlement for the world. In this, it made me enjoy anime because of simple reason. I love Love Live (redundant, I know) because it’s cute, fun, heartwarming, comedic, simple. The same way I love My Hero Academia because it’s intense, captivating, and the action is totally awesome. That’s it. No need to overthink it. I’m watching so much anime now because of what Love Live has done for me in general. So thank you for everything, Love Live.
For animation in general, thank you The Amazing World of Gumball. 😊
"You really think people go on the internet and get angry about cartoons?"
Mar 12, 5:04 PM

I dont love anime i watch it as and when i feel like it
My first anime i watched was Fairy Tail it was ok i only really watched it for Gray Fullbuster then i watched tokyo ghoul i kinda liked anime when i watched Code Geass its my favoute anime and i really liked the plot and of coarse Lelouch <3
Mar 12, 5:07 PM

What Show was the one that got you hooked on Anime and what about that show caught you so profoundly?

About caughting me profoundly: Possibly Digimon Frontier or Savers... But i watched Frontier in youtube back when peple used to upload 3 videos 8 minutes each. So, if you want an answer based on when i began watching "like a decent human being", possibly SAO.

As for "cementing my love for the artform": Possibly Date a Live, since one of the stronger points of anime for me was always character design, and boy, those character designs were good back in the day... Nah, they still are.

Mar 12, 5:10 PM
Naruto introduced me to the anime world, but I guess you can say it was really Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that got me hooked into animes in general because, with Naruto, it was the ONLY anime I would watch back then lol xD
Mar 12, 5:20 PM

K-on cuz its perfect in every way possible
Mar 12, 5:24 PM
Gundam, Inuyasha, DB and all those oldschool animes that they would put on TV. Never one in specific, I just fell in love with how a « cartoon » could express such great story telling, characters, topics and emotions characters that TV shows could never reproduce.
Mar 12, 5:35 PM

My first anime was Yu gi oh Duel monsters and the first one who got me hooked on anime was fairy tail because power of friends <3
Mar 12, 5:36 PM
banana ninja

Attack on titan was my first anime and I guess the concept of 3D maneuver gear and art that hooked me
Mar 12, 5:42 PM

I think I might have a better idea if you can define the term artform for me.

As for shows that I find compelling, it was simply due to letting the creator lead me on their train ride to their fantasy world. I like conclusive shows, or in gaming term would be a true ending.
Mar 12, 5:56 PM

hazecloud said:
I think I might have a better idea if you can define the term artform for me.

As for shows that I find compelling, it was simply due to letting the creator lead me on their train ride to their fantasy world. I like conclusive shows, or in gaming term would be a true ending.

Well your answer to my question kindof answers yours.

When I think we talk about the artform that is Anime(or anything) for that matter we break it down to the components that strike or resonate with us most.
So with a painting you may talk about the inspired brushstrokes or use of color right?

With a movie it may be the directing or shot composition to help tell the story or convey emotion.

With Anime it could be either of those, or like you said, the storytelling. It could be the art, The animation itself, the themes and values expressed, etc, etc,,

When you start analyzing those things, you can start to understand, in part, how a show or a scene affected you as it did.
Even in general terms though, without putting forth that effort. You can identify that its the stories you may get from anime in particular that grab you. or like i said for me, it's the fact that I've never felt so many feels as i have when watching anime.
Mar 12, 6:32 PM

Spirited Away- i was interested in anime before but this movie cemented my passion for the artform
(that, along with Satoshi kons Perfect blue and Osamu Tezukas Metropolis)

I realize that when i was really young i watched a lot of "Cartoons" on television that actually was licensed and renamed anime shows, like bob in the bottle, the Lillibits and the Peter pan anime. there is also the Moomin anime from the 90's. of course when i was older there was always the saturday morning animes, like pokemon, Yugioh, Digimon and Sailor Moon.

The first anime i streamed was Bleach, that was when i started watching anime more constantly.
Mar 12, 6:37 PM

If you don't count Pokemon, then it was One Piece.
I saw a member of my family watching OP 5 of One Piece one day, so I watched it with them and thought, "Wow, this is awesome!". Thus, that was how I got into anime. I am not currently up to date with every single episode (I am up to date, however, with the current story/story arc), but I do still love One Piece. It's such an amazing anime!
In terms of the first anime I ever fully watched (again, not including Pokemon), it was Sword Art Online. I was hanging out with my friend, and they suggested Sword Art Online for us to watch. So after learning about the plot, I thought it sounded interesting. And I thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought it was very unique, and I just love everything about it.
Modified by Dazel1412, Mar 12, 6:42 PM
Mar 12, 6:54 PM

My first anime was ninja hattori and clannad is the anime for which I am hooked on anime...😃

Mar 12, 8:15 PM
This maybe a surprise/ and idk if many of have you have heard of this anime but my first anime was Musaigen no Phantom World
Mar 12, 8:19 PM

Ippo and SoL series make me appreciate the artstyle and the medium.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Mar 12, 8:24 PM

I Remember when I Took a Year and a Half Hiatus from Watching Anime. The Anime That Brought me back to the medium were Love Live, Tokyo Ghoul and The Neptunia Anime. Tokyo Ghoul because I Bought a phisical copy of the Manga but the Publishers here in Mexico Were too fucking Slow so I watched the Anime. Love Live Helped me Get through my Edgy phase Quicker and Reminded me that Not all anime Had to be Edgy and Gory and to look at it as a bigger medium once more.

After that I fell In Love ith JoJo and Boku no Hero (those being my Favorite Shonen) and I Also revisited My Old Favorites like TTGL and FMA:B To remember how I Liked them so Much and Why
Modified by Afloo, Mar 12, 8:27 PM
Mar 12, 8:26 PM

My very first anime was Death Note and everything about it blew me away. (Even with the weaker last episodes.)
Mar 12, 9:04 PM

What was your first anime basically?

All the ones I grew up with, basically.

What show was the one that got you hooked on anime and what about that show caught you so profoundly?

Either Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood or Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Reason being is that they were practically the first two anime that I watched after taking a bit of a break/hiatus from watching such due to life and whatnot, so...
~ RedKitten13
Mar 12, 9:20 PM

Is say probably one or multiple of the original big shonen like Dbz, one piece, naruto, and bleach got me into anime. Absolutely a huge part of my childhood and countless hours being watching them. As of recent memory though the two animes that catapaulted me into loving the medium as a whole and branching out to find other things was Death Note, and Attack on Titan. My first true love and current favorite series that made me fall I love with the process and creation of anime as an artform was Cowboy Bebop though. Sorry for the long post, cool topic.
Mar 12, 10:33 PM

I've always had an interest in anime. Back when I was a kid they showed Rurouni Kenshin and Gundam Wing on TV and even as young as 6 years old I could see they were different. The series that really hooked me the first time however was Bleach.

After a couple of years without watching anything I decided to buy an anime magazine that was talking about Sword Art Online. Decided to watch it and now I got hooked permanently.
Mar 12, 11:21 PM
SAO was my first anime. I didn't particularly like it all that much but it did gt me interested in anime. The anime that got me hooked was Death Note. I think it was like the 3rd or 4th I saw. After that I watched Code Geass and that's when I knew that I enjoyed anime better than LA
Mar 13, 1:10 AM

Thank you. Yes I can see in a bigger picture now. Now I can understand better as to why I like One Piece even though the story may fall flat most of the time.
Mar 13, 2:55 AM

It's more of the accumulation of a couple of early anime that really made me passionate for anime.

- Naruto was the first show that I seriously watched so that's the beginning I guess.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was the anime that made me appreciate the diversity in this industry. I was blind of other shows during my obession period with Naruto and FMA:B broke that obsession, a good thing because now I'm watching other anime today.
- Kimi no Na wa. introduced me to great audiovisual as a means of storytelling. Was also my first romance anime, one of my favorite genre.
- Your Lie in April hit me with the wave of feels that I didn't know could exist in a fictional setting. While it's mostly due to me not getting exposed to other fictions than games, it doesn't leave the fact that it's my first time getting teary-eyed.

In their own aspect I've mentioned, those 4 anime was one the most influential. Of course it doesn't mean they were solitary in getting me to appreciate something (for example Naruto Shippuden was actually the first one that hit me with feels) but I guess they were the foundation. I can talk about the other anime that followed after my early curiosity with anime such as One Piece, Clannad, Attack on Titan, and No Game no Life as they also helped in my passion for anime but I might just leave it for when I want to write an appropriate blog post, eventually...
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Mar 13, 11:54 AM

Monster *insert comment about circlejerking this title to death*
Mar 13, 12:17 PM

Probably Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, they were the first animes that really opened my eyes to the depth of storytelling that anime has to offer. Even though I have found things since then that I like more..

I still need to go back someday and rewatch some of my old favorites to see how they compare with my favorites of the past couple years.
Mar 13, 2:39 PM

I guess Naruto because dumb weeb me. Which I guess makes it more fitting that BNHA got me into anime a second time around. Truly a cycle.