Forum Settings
Forums

What anime will you never understand the hype for and why?

New
Mar 12, 2018 6:52 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty much what the title says, what mega-hyped up show just didn't engage you at all? And why?
removed-userMar 12, 2018 7:01 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 12, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2017
Steins Gate. It was just incredibly boring, unintentionally comedic and overall mediocre.

Then there's Konosuba and Re:Zero (complete trash). I can understand why 14 year old boys might like them though.
Mar 12, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2016
Made in the Abyss. It's good but not that GREAT as the fan claim to be.
Mar 12, 2018 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
any action shounen with big breasted bimbos
Mar 12, 2018 7:04 AM

Aug 2012
SAO, to be quite generic. It's just a mediocre show, not necessarily the worst anime in existence that some make it out to be, but definitely not the best either. I still don't understand why it's so highly popular.

Mar 12, 2018 7:08 AM

Feb 2017
My Hero Academia. It is a good show and I enjoy watching it but I can't seem to get what it does that generates so much hype around it.
Mar 12, 2018 7:10 AM

Oct 2017
Made in Abyss: so you have a loli adventuring an abyss to find her mom and at the end she almost dies ... no idea why the hype?... when even the loli sucks
Clannad: You have every girl crying for some shitty reason...kinda overrated
Fight scenes in Naruto: Mostly you see characters fighting by playing with their fingers somejutsu shit...

There are many more, but I am lazy so that's it for now...

Mar 12, 2018 7:12 AM

Oct 2017
Tsarko said:
My Hero Academia. It is a good show and I enjoy watching it but I can't seem to get what it does that generates so much hype around it.

Have you read the manga?
The hype's probably because season 3's covering the best arc of MHA
Mar 12, 2018 7:14 AM

Dec 2013
Fate series. Aside from the one time Urobutcher came in to rescue them, the rest of the franchise is garbage.

Jojo, Hokuto no Ken or any other ultra manly show. I just hate the genre. The same with moeblob slice of life shows and Key adaptions.

May 2017
ZSTGL_IMA said:
Tsarko said:

Have you read the manga?

I doubt most of the people who watch Hero Aca read manga at all (entry level ppl basically)

OT: Erased was fine until the ending but I still don't get why people hype it up as good even to this day

Sep 2014
Dragon Ball. I understand if you're like 10 years old, but many older people still watch this show religiously. I just never understood the hype behind it and also the hype for DB super which I've seen some episode and it was really deep trash shit. This makes no fucking sense.
Mar 12, 2018 7:16 AM

Feb 2017
ZSTGL_IMA said:
Tsarko said:

Have you read the manga?

I've read till around chapter 80 before season 2 and then just kinda stopped. I might start reading it again soon because I also heard that it gets really really good.
Mar 12, 2018 7:16 AM

Mar 2015
Devilman Crybaby. I couldn't get into it at all. I did enjoy the last few episodes, but most of the time I was like "so when does it get as good as everyone is saying?"
Mar 12, 2018 7:18 AM

May 2016
I haven't found nobody that likes it but anyway...

Mirai Nikki. How that thing became so popular? It doesn't have a single good thing (in fact, everything is done in the worst possible way) and the premise isn't that interesting/original. Not even Yuno is original or good either.

Jan 2018
BNHA and OPM.I just never understand the hype for these two animes.
IMO both are pretty boring especially OPM.also, I don't like the characters.

Oct 2017
Tsarko said:
ZSTGL_IMA said:

Have you read the manga?

I've read till around chapter 80 before season 2 and then just kinda stopped. I might start reading it again soon because I also heard that it gets really really good.

Yeah like I said till now it's the best arc of MHA
But now you could actually watch the anime since it's airing in April and MHA follows the manga exactly...
Mar 12, 2018 7:19 AM

Nov 2017
Darling in the Franxx and especially Violet Evergarden, I don't see why people like the shows so much, they're enjoyable but they're not that good.
Mar 12, 2018 7:22 AM

Oct 2010
I think there's a big difference between not understanding and not sharing. Like I don't share the fascination around Code Geass but it has elements (political intrigue, ambivalent MC, some sort of (pseudo?)intellectual pose, grand-scale events) that I can see people getting into quite easily. Or I'm not interested at all on Dragon Ball but I can understand which of its elements generate its wide appeal.
jal90Mar 12, 2018 7:25 AM
Mar 12, 2018 7:25 AM

Dec 2010
Overlord - it was incredibly boring, dull and all the characters - main one included but especially all the Momonga ass-kissers - were quite one-dimensional and equally boring and bland. I dropped it after about 5 episodes because I just couldn't understand what was so awesome about it and why it warranted such a hype and a high rating.

That's the only one that comes to mind from the recent list. I'm sure there were more but that one came to mind first.
Mar 12, 2018 7:25 AM

Jan 2018
More hype, the better it will be in the future. I personally don't mind them.
Mar 12, 2018 7:26 AM

Oct 2015
NthDegree said:

Jojo, or any other ultra manly show. I just hate the genre.
Jojo ain't manly anymore, twinky man is the new Jojo ever since the span of 1992-1995.

Now that I am watching Fate, just another Urobutcher stuff he spits out.

Then there is my known-opinion for Boku no Hero and most battle shounen really. Except Jojo, Jojo is aight.

OPM I guess.
-Lofn-Mar 12, 2018 7:30 AM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 12, 2018 7:26 AM

Oct 2017
Congintive said:

Uh well yeah OPM season 1 wasn't really good, and probably due to the hype you didn't like it..
Don't look at my OPM score since it was one of my first few anime
Why so much hype? It's due to OPM manga, it's actually really good..
Like I do get that it's boring since saitama defeats everyone with one punch, but the story's progressing really good... don't wanna spoil it..
Mar 12, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2016
One Punch Man.

MC is an uninteresting man, the setting is also uninteresting, his "joke" died quickly, and this even for a short 12 episode show. Also for some reason, to me it doesn't look nor feel like an anime at all.

It didn't matter to me that it had great animation. It's useless when the core, the dna of the show, is not working.
Mar 12, 2018 7:39 AM

Aug 2011
Dragon Ball Super. It just looks like the most childish thing ever and the clips I see people praise and hype the most are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I get nostalgia lenses are on tight for this show but it still baffles me.

I'll never get the hype for My Hero Academia either. It's really nothing different from any other shounen manga aside from the pretty art and animation and I found it to be very boring.

Mar 12, 2018 8:36 AM

Aug 2015
Howl's Moving Castle, easily Miyazaki's weakest work. It wouldn't be right to say I don't understand the hype for it because it does have some positive qualities and I can understand why they may appeal to people, but the praise surrounding it and score of 8.7 still baffles me.

The visuals are spectacular, the score and sound direction is fitting as expected of Ghibli but that's about all it has going for it. Looking past the surface, all I can see is shallow character relationships, messy presentation leading to a clumsy narrative, and almost nothing meaningful to take away from it. Most Ghibli works are enjoyable and heartfelt but Howl was just dull and uninteresting.
Mar 12, 2018 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
I'm probably never going to understand the "hype" for such shows as Gintama, One Piece, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Re:Zero and probably a number of others.

Why?

Because I've seen a few episodes of them here and there and, well, they just don't do it for me. Probably because they're simply not my "thing" when it comes to what I like/love to watch in terms of anime, so...
Mar 12, 2018 8:49 AM

Aug 2015
Well.. there's a lot of it.. but the one i always ask (desperately) my friend about the reason is:
SAO - for years I've asked my friends about why they love and so hyped about this show.. But I got no full filing answer.. I even dragged my innocent friend and make her watch anime and then make her watch SAO, she loves the show but I still don't get why..
Kimi no Na wa - I seriously don't get this one...

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Mar 12, 2018 8:53 AM

Feb 2016
Pretty much every overhyped shit all over the internet and especially the depths of cringe like eddit and youtard. Kimi no Trash wa, Re:tard0, that music Shelter shit (the fuck, seriously guys?), le incredible le deep """"WORLDBUILDING"""" in Made in Abysmal (it wasn't that bad but nothing that special either and the worldbuilding was dogshit).. and countless other seasonal crap that isn't worth remembering.
Mar 12, 2018 8:57 AM

Aug 2012
RedKitten13 said:
I'm probably never going to understand the "hype" for such shows as Gintama, One Piece, Bleach, Sword Art Online, Re:Zero and probably a number of others.

Why?

Because I've seen a few episodes of them here and there and, well, they just don't do it for me. Probably because they're simply not my "thing" when it comes to what I like/love to watch in terms of anime, so...

Well unless you actually watch the show, of course you wont understand the hype. That's common sense.
MonsterMar 12, 2018 9:05 AM
Mar 12, 2018 8:58 AM

Jan 2017
Blend S, I watched one episode then went straight out of there
Mar 12, 2018 9:02 AM

Jun 2017
Mahoutsukai no Yome and Violet Evergarden! Because there's no reason for hype
And also Mirai nikki, Ao no Exorcist and SAO I can't understand the hype of these shows.
Mar 12, 2018 9:03 AM

May 2017
There are so many but first is One Punch Man, it's not like i hate it but it's decent it's just some good animation by Madhouse, it has no decent plot and MC is way tooooooooo overpowered.there r many more but OPM takes the bigger piece of cake.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2016
Congintive said:

This.
Although some BnHA characters are okay~
Mar 12, 2018 9:17 AM
Jan 2017
Evergarden. It's not like terrible and I haven't even stopped watching it. But it's a show that hits you over the head with how Serious and Deep it is while actually being pretty Shallow and Silly. It's a simplistic melodrama with a one-note, idealized Trauma Waifu main character and a bunch of rotating guest characters who don't matter. And I mean, whatever, shows can be 7/10 even with massive flaws like this. But these fan threads where they rave about how it's a psychological masterpiece that transcends the bounds of conventional anime... and if you don't like it you're a Philistine with no attention span who only wants mindless action... come on!
Mar 12, 2018 9:18 AM

Feb 2018
Made in Abyss, I just don't see whats so appealing
Mar 12, 2018 9:22 AM
Aug 2017
One Punch Man: One joke can't make a 12 episode series good...

Clannad : shit... Horseshit.... Bullshit

My hero academia: It's good but not that good...

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: it is indeed good but man there are so many boring episodes in the middle of the series but nobody cares.. they get a good start and a good ending but what about maximum no. of episodes which were just booooooorrriinnnngggggg...
Mar 12, 2018 9:23 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Madoka Magica, BNHA and also definitely those three
zodd0 said:
Steins Gate. It was just incredibly boring, unintentionally comedic and overall mediocre.

Then there's Konosuba and Re:Zero (complete trash). I can understand why 14 year old boys might like them though.
Mar 12, 2018 9:23 AM
✿。

Apr 2012
OPM, Got bored quickly & I don't find the jokes nor the characters interesting.

Made is Abyss, don't understand the hype tbh! It's not that bad, but it wasn't great either.

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Mar 12, 2018 9:29 AM
Sep 2017
SAO,Toradora,Steinsgate,Clannad,Elfen lied
Mar 12, 2018 9:30 AM
May 2017
zodd0 said:
I can see where you're coming from with Re:Zero but with Konosuba I thought the appeal was extremely obvious. It's satirizing the isekai genre. You know, the extremely overabundant, power obsessed, harem inflicted genre. It's only funnier because of how these mediocre aspects are so popular.

Though, if you actually like isekais then I can see why you'd feel this way.
Mar 12, 2018 9:31 AM

Aug 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
It was good, but nothing spectacular. Even though It's the hightest rated anime ever on MAL, I just can't see what the hype's about. At some point I was practically forcing myself to keep watching it, since everyone was always praising it, I felt like I had been missing out. The only thing i loved about FMAB was the first opening, but that's about it.
Mar 12, 2018 9:32 AM

Feb 2010
I think I understand every hype, I just don't share some of them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 12, 2018 9:41 AM

Nov 2008
Pullman said:
I think I understand every hype, I just don't share some of them.

This.

I understand the appeal of ALL the popular titles. I haven't really come across a "Why the f*ck do people love this!?" anime.

..........though I felt that way about Twilight. XD

Mar 12, 2018 9:46 AM

Jul 2016
It may be an old flavour-of-the-season but I never understood how Erased got so popular with more members on MAL than Anohana, Higurashi, the mighty Chuu2 and Bakemonogatari just to name a few. It had a terrible and stupid main character from the first episode and the time travel thing and the overall narrative never made sense.

shell_bee said:
Blend S, I watched one episode then went straight out of there

Most people (including me) literally just watched it for the spicey memes it spawned (with Pewdiepie expanding their popularity). They're dead memes now so don't worry.
Mar 12, 2018 9:51 AM
Aug 2016
I understand what may have caused the hype in pretty much every single case.
Mar 12, 2018 1:24 PM

Aug 2017
AOT, I actually pulled myself to watch it just because everyone is watching, but it was trash IMO.
The mc is a whiny brat who can't do anything even after being op. He's so emotional but still equally retarded.
Mar 13, 2018 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
Same for AOT. The characters are uninteresting and cliche for me (except Reiner and Bertolt). Too much humanity propaganda and there is also the ost that tried to be too heroic most of the time.
Mar 13, 2018 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
BNHA - I find it to be completely average and boring.
Mar 13, 2018 4:34 AM

Apr 2015
People might expect me to say My Hero Academia but no, it's due to Naruto, Bleach, and FT all have ended and the only long run shounen is that, Black Clover, and the only remnants of the big 3, OP
Mar 13, 2018 6:21 AM

Sep 2014
Texhnolyze

It's garbage devoid of anything to like or enjoy
Characters are either horribly boring (MC), nothing but victims (the dude who existed only to be abused by his father) or outright hateable
Nothing interesting or exciting happens, the world is shit
Even all of it looks ugly and dull
It just edge incarnate that brings a 14 yo 'uh duh life sux nihilism is my way' to mind
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by Kdog1998 »»
14 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

75 by L0bsterman »»
21 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

117 by Kdog1998 »»
26 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

69 by MasterTasuke »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.