Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 12, 2018 4:04 PM

Oct 2015
Chise doesn't forgive her mother, now that was hard but she should've though because her mother was under a lot of strain at that time. After all blood is thicker than any liquid. But it's understandable since the series is about Elias and her.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 12, 2018 7:24 PM

Apr 2017
Chise's father has to be THE BIGGEST prick/worst father in anime history. FYI for everyone asking the reason he left was because he was tired of the supernatural around Chise and her mom. The boiling point being his son waking up because of that nearby creature. But that has to be the weakest excuse to live your wife and daughter behind ever. Sad, pathetic excuse for a man / rant over

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Mar 12, 2018 9:12 PM

Apr 2014
wow what an episode. easily the strongest one so far for me. it did get sappy as usual during some parts towards the end, but otherwise a good episode

Joseph is a great character, things always get interesting when he's around. i hope we learn more about him

i wonder if Chise will ever see her dad again, that would be interesting. i can see why he left but it was still pretty cruel

(side note- i kinda want for Chise's eyes to stay like this after this arc. i have a feeling they will get fixed but i hope Joseph's eye stays)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2018 11:13 PM
Mar 2012
let it go~ let it go~ Waited two cours for Chise's childhood. Good resolution thanks to Nevin, but the dad part isn't cleared yet. Did the Mage association grab him to fight some holy grail war?
Eye part was creepy. Would Chise really give her arm? Joseph doesn't have a proper arm to trade unless it's from his monsters. He's been a boring villain, hopefully the backstory rounds out his character.

Mar 13, 2018 12:19 AM
Jul 2016
donzacuceron said:
Chise's father has to be THE BIGGEST prick/worst father in anime history. FYI for everyone asking the reason he left was because he was tired of the supernatural around Chise and her mom. The boiling point being his son waking up because of that nearby creature. But that has to be the weakest excuse to live your wife and daughter behind ever. Sad, pathetic excuse for a man / rant over

Is that confirmed though? To me it seemed like his reasons for leaving were more complicated than "I got sick of protecting my family"
Mar 13, 2018 12:23 AM

Apr 2017
Mouloxas said:
Is that confirmed though? To me it seemed like his reasons for leaving were more complicated than "I got sick of protecting my family"

I understand why you might think that, however, I just don't see how you can interpret it as more than "I want to protect my son from my wife and daughter." at this stage. Which is abhorrent.

She smiled sweeter than Crème Brûlée

Mar 13, 2018 12:32 AM

Sep 2016
AntwanMantilla said:
Great episode. Chise wakes up in Cartaphilus's place and eventually goes along with what he wants. The scene where they switch eyes, mainly when he took hers out, gave me chills. The we have Chise reliving her memories of her family as a kid while she's asleep. It's sad to see how her family breaks apart.

Chise eventually confronts the mother she's created and realizes that her real mother never wanted to kill her. She's freed herself from having those memories now, even if she might still not forgive her yet. Now Chise knows she has a bit of Joseph/ Cartaphilus in her and they have yet to take the curse away from her arm.

Very very much looking forward to the next episode.
really needed this eps backstory was much appreciated <3
Facta Non Verba
Mar 13, 2018 1:02 AM
Jul 2016
donzacuceron said:
I understand why you might think that, however, I just don't see how you can interpret it as more than "I want to protect my son from my wife and daughter." at this stage. Which is abhorrent.

I just think that he had no good reason to take his son with him if he was simply running away. Guess we'll have to wait for the next season to find out the truth.
Mar 13, 2018 4:30 AM

Sep 2016
I'm glad we get to know more of Chise's mother. But I need to know why her father disappeared along with her little brother. Very intriguing and a really good episode.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Mar 13, 2018 7:07 AM

Dec 2017
For me that was the strongest and kinda "darknest" episode so far. Seeing little Chise and her family... just... too much feels ;-;

I can't wait for the next one!
Mar 13, 2018 8:41 PM

Jun 2009
The eye transplant scene gave me creeps. Also, I had tears in my eyes during the whole flashback and finally began crying when Chise got to say goodbye to her mom. Best episode so far.
Mar 13, 2018 11:40 PM
May 2017
I haven’t seen the episode yet, however I do read the manga and I’ve heard that the anime is pretty consistent.

I’m nervous though.
Very nervous.

To note: I’m not spoiling anything, I’m just talking about how the animators might have to make up an ending to the anime

Because there are currently 43 chapters in the manga series right now, the 44th chapter should come out this month.
The thing that I’m nervous about is that the last episode- episode 22, is from chapter 42. That’s only one chapter away from the lastest chapter, I don’t know what the animators are going to do because I don’t think there’s enough material for a 24 minute episode....
I’m pretty sure that each episode is about two to three chapters long, so if they decided to completely stick to the cannon story, then they would have to put the show on hiatus for at least four months...
Mar 14, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 2016
This was an emotionally brutal episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 14, 2018 10:02 AM

Apr 2008
kisskisspaydebt said:
I haven’t seen the episode yet, however I do read the manga and I’ve heard that the anime is pretty consistent.

I’m nervous though.
Very nervous.

To note: I’m not spoiling anything, I’m just talking about how the animators might have to make up an ending to the anime

Because there are currently 43 chapters in the manga series right now, the 44th chapter should come out this month.
The thing that I’m nervous about is that the last episode- episode 22, is from chapter 42. That’s only one chapter away from the lastest chapter, I don’t know what the animators are going to do because I don’t think there’s enough material for a 24 minute episode....
I’m pretty sure that each episode is about two to three chapters long, so if they decided to completely stick to the cannon story, then they would have to put the show on hiatus for at least four months...

Just read chapter 44. Looks like episode 23 will actually cover this chapter as well so episode 24 could be anything. My hope is they know where the story will go and it will be a good place to end it. Basically adapt chapter 45 before it comes out. Either that or it will be original which I hope it is not. The series has been great so far. Just hope the ending is worth it.
Mar 14, 2018 10:40 AM
May 2017
GundamSoul said:
kisskisspaydebt said:

I’m nervous though.
Very nervous.

Just read chapter 44. Looks like episode 23 will actually cover this chapter as well so episode 24 could be anything. My hope is they know where the story will go and it will be a good place to end it. Basically adapt chapter 45 before it comes out. Either that or it will be original which I hope it is not. The series has been great so far. Just hope the ending is worth it.

I hope so too, because this show is an amazing and beautiful series, and it sticks to the story well. I hope you’re right in saying that the story will go and it will be a good place to end it, and basically adept chapter 45 before it comes out. When I posted the original post, chapter 44 had not come out yet so I’ll go read it now, my apologies.
Maybe the animators will go to the mangaka and ask her what the ending to the show should be or get the information on the 45th chapter before she writes it out.
Mar 14, 2018 10:44 AM

Apr 2008
kisskisspaydebt said:
GundamSoul said:

I hope so too, because this show is an amazing and beautiful series, and it sticks to the story well. I hope you’re right in saying that the story will go and it will be a good place to end it, and basically adept chapter 45 before it comes out. When I posted the original post, chapter 44 had not come out yet so I’ll go read it now, my apologies.
Maybe the animators will go to the mangaka and ask her what the ending to the show should be or get the information on the 45th chapter before she writes it out.

Nothing to apologize for. I hope for the same outcome. Wouldn't be the first time the mangaka has been involved and the series when past the manga. I think the studio will end it well. Might be a little rushed or open ended but that is mostly fine as this is still an ongoing series. Although any chance at a season 2 would have to be after about 4 years or so.
Mar 14, 2018 1:48 PM

Mar 2010
An amazing episode.

I'm actually glad that Chise chose not to forgive her mother. For a moment, I was afraid they'd go for the cheesy "forgive and forget" approach, but fortunately it didn't happen. There are thing that are unforgivable.
Mar 14, 2018 7:50 PM
May 2017
GundamSoul said:
kisskisspaydebt said:

Nothing to apologize for. I hope for the same outcome. Wouldn't be the first time the mangaka has been involved and the series when past the manga. I think the studio will end it well. Might be a little rushed or open ended but that is mostly fine as this is still an ongoing series. Although any chance at a season 2 would have to be after about 4 years or so.

Okay, Thanks. :) I agree, I hope that she will get involved and it will have a cannon end. The studio hasn’t failed us yet, so I do hope you’re right in saying that they’ll end it well. Chances are, the 24th episode will have a big cliffhanger, so there will definitely have to be a second season once the manga is ready to be turned into a second season. I have high hopes, and the only thing to do now is sit and wait until the 23rd and 24th episodes come out. :)
Mar 16, 2018 1:57 AM
Oct 2015
Chise's past was tragic as expected but the execution of this was rather difficult to anticipate with Chise basically losing her eye and putten to sleep, the father leaving and her mom leaving in a disturbing fashion, but overall I really like this episode just because we got to see more of her past and putting it aside to continue walking into the future.
I'm curious about why the father left, I don't remember whether the reason was mentioned earlier.
Heckle was here...
Mar 17, 2018 9:22 AM
Jan 2016
One thing that makes me really curious is why Chise's father suddenly left them...was he really a huge coward?? After they built a great and happy family?? At first I really love Chise's family, a small but really happy family, but come on dad, did you call yourself a man if you only leave like that??? I think Chise's mother is a sleigh beggy to like Chise that's why her body and mental are not stable and weak, but now I must say that Chise is a really strong character,
her development is really great. Maybe her body is weak but not her soul. The one that can overcome his or her past and walk straight to the future is really strong.
Mar 18, 2018 2:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Chise memories were full of happiness in the starts, but sad when her mother tried to kill her!!!
Well, she gave a new step to discover the truth under "Joseph"!!!
Mar 19, 2018 1:57 AM

Oct 2014
i know this episode was super depressing, but can we just talk about how adorable baby chise is OMG
Mar 22, 2018 1:47 AM

Mar 2018
I am trying to pace myself since there are only two more episodes left to watch. This one was intense. Saw it yesterday evening. It was great to see more of Chise's life before her mother committed suicide. It was heartbreaking to see how their lives became more and more desperate after her father left the family and took his infant son with him. I wonder why he left. He clearly also saw the spirits and the spirits called him a forest person which means he must have been like the librarian that Chise has met later and who gave her the book about the lonely star but why did he leave his wife and daughter behind. His resolve came after he saw that thing with red eyes from the kitchen. What was it? An evil spirit?

I felt very sorry for Chise's mother because she couldn't hold down any job but was trying so hard. She loved her daughter, of that I am certain, but at the end, the woman just broke under the pressure.

All in all a very good episode but with only two episodes to go I doubt that we will ever find out what truly happened and why her father left, where he went and whether Chise will see her brother again - unless they cram everything into the last episodes which would be overkill because there are a lot of different issues that need to be resolved. I love the show very much but one thing that annoys me is that it feels so rushed in places. There are so many storylines that could either never be properly introduced or resolved. We only see bits and pieces. This show should have had at least two series with 24 episodes each to tell the story properly.
Mar 24, 2018 12:34 PM

Jul 2009
This episode was great! It really shows what happens to Chise's mom...what a sad story
Mar 24, 2018 10:24 PM

Apr 2015
Flashback was pretty cool, directed pretty well.
Maybe a bit confusing.
After that, hmm.
BGM was slightly off point
Mar 26, 2018 7:59 AM

Dec 2016
It was very disgusting seeing Chise's eye getting ripped off from her eye ><; Creepy!

Chise didn't deserve a past like that. She looked very traumatized after all that happened back there, but remembering it all over again is very though :( Although it made it clear that Chise's mom was being manipulated by evil spirits. Did the father also had the same issue with the same, I wonder... What exacly happened with those two when they disappear? It would be nice if the mystery would be solved :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 27, 2018 7:31 AM
May 2015
His father abandoned them?! How come, was a coward? I want to know more about this situation.
Mar 27, 2018 10:45 PM

Jun 2017
I'm starting to hate Chise's father to be honest, he knows that her wife and daughter both have frail bodies, yet he choose to abandon both of them. Chise's mom had it worst, pushing herself to the limits while seeing those hideous things around her, she gave her everything and then she snapped, she reached the end of her sanity.

Chise's father MUST have a huge and good reason behind his selfish actions.
Mar 29, 2018 12:19 PM

Mar 2014
Chise's dad takes the best dad award 2018

I feel bad for her mom. It was really sad seeing that flashback. She struggled to be strong but she naturally snapped after enduring all these gruelling experiences. It was still disturbing to see her lash out on her daughter and traumatizing her for life. And not only that, she had become so depressed she couldn't handle the guilt and decided to off herself.... which is understandable given her struggles but still, doing that in front of her daughter is definitely not a good thing because Chise has to live with that image for her whole life.

I understand her mom overall, but I also understand why Chise can't forgive her. It's her right, she's not obliged to forgive people who have hurt her. Same goes for anyone tbh.
Mar 29, 2018 12:42 PM

Mar 2012
Thanks for doing a half-assed job at strangling me mom.
Apr 7, 2018 2:58 PM
Jan 2018
Loved the episode but I hope Chise gets here eye back because I hate Josephs black eye.
May 9, 2018 12:54 AM

Jul 2012
Such a sad episode. Was the dad tired of protecting them? He looked at the bills on the fridge and then he saw the creature outside. I’m guessing his son is normal, so he took him with him. But can you really leave your wife and child that you love just like that? There has to be more to it...

Poor Chise. I didn’t know she also witnessed her mom commit suicide. She was so happy at one point, but then she lost all of her family and was alone just like that. Thinking about it is just too unbearably sad.
May 12, 2018 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
Interesting episode with background info on Chise. So her father left with their son because he can't stand those abominations around him anymore - and they alive and well somewhere unlike I thought before. Still, in the face of her mother's suicide she let out no emotion when reliving the scene, that's very hard to belive - she would be utterly destroyed just to watch that. Yet she was pretty much fine and able to plot her revenge..

Then the most annoying part came in the end - she again(!) fell to her savior complex and tried to force-save Cartaphillus in the end... I mean, she tries to bring salvation to the villian (after all what he had done) and believes there is some good in him, how bad and cliche writing is that?
May 27, 2018 2:44 PM
Apr 2014
I guess Chise's mother killed herself to prevent that from happening again? Or she felt guilty and just gave up. Regardless it looked a lot more like she loved Chise than how Chise described it previously. It was somewhat sad to see but considering the situation you can't really blame her mother. Once there is even the slightest doubt it's difficult to go back. Especially with all the shitty creatures being around her all the time.

Really wondering why her father left though. That was pretty much the "downfall" of it all for Chise and her mother.

And I really hope that piece of shit gives her back her eye.
Aug 9, 2018 9:31 PM

May 2012
Fantastic episode even though it was quite dark! Really loved the backstory of Chise and well I do wonder what happens next!
Oct 19, 2018 11:01 AM

May 2013
Aaaahhhhhh, the typical horrifying eye removal scene ^^' YiKES.

Ending was very interesting. I'm excited~

Chise's happy little family in the past was lovely. Now she's got a new family that's just as lovely. When she decides to come back, that is. (and surprise everyone with her new grey, dead eye)
Nov 30, 2018 12:11 AM

Mar 2014
The eye scene, I literally screamed at the screen "WHAT ARE YOU DOING AHHHHH" I hate eye gouging scenes D:

The irony that Chise goes with Josephilus to get her curse removed, and in the process gets cured of those "cursed" memories she mentioned a few episodes ago. So now we can shift the blame from Chise's mom to her dad for why her life went to hell
Feb 8, 2019 5:27 PM

Feb 2012
Joseph is the reincarnation of her mother after suicide. I think
Does having Chise's eyes mean being able to see fairies?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 29, 2019 12:01 PM

Aug 2007
I thought Chise was sad and lonely all her life. Its good to know she had a happy life and a happy childhood. No matter if was a short time.

So... the "problem" was not only Chise so the mother too. Interesting. I don't know why, but I though Chise's mother was still alive. But meh.

2 more episodes to end.
Oct 6, 2019 12:48 AM

Mar 2015
Wow Chise looks into her past and confronts it!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 14, 2019 6:39 AM

Sep 2018
Interesting the past of Chise, now we understand the reason of the choices of the father and the mother: that means also a nice step forward in the plot and begins to delineate what hides the character of Cartaphilus. Only Chise and Yosef, this time they are the protagonists of this episode, but this does not affect the involvement.
Dec 22, 2019 3:53 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Chise's childhood flashbacks were just so sad... poor girl
Mar 11, 2020 12:24 PM

Apr 2013
Ugh Chise with Joseph's eye is quite... unsettling. I hope she gets her own eye and arm back in the last two episodes.
Apr 24, 2020 1:57 AM

Jun 2013
Chise's father was definitely a daddy, he was one handsome man. Too bad he bought milk and never came back. He even took her baby brother with him.
臭い-
May 24, 2020 12:35 AM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
BlackstarFallen said:
Such a great episode. The scene of switching eyes was creepy. Chise's past is so brutal and tragic. I really want to know why her dad disappeared with her brother. I hope that gets answered soon. I'm glad Chise realized her mother never hated her and decided to move forward. Excited for next week.
I'm guessing he did a very Chise thing to do and thought he was making Chise and his mom's life harder by keeping the demons around.

My heart hurts for Chise, but I'm glad she can move forward; it's the only way to stay alive. Curious to see if she doesn't lose her arm if Joseph and the arm (i.e. the curses existing side by side) will cancel out.
Jun 2, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2010
Twas a great flashback that flowed organically with the episode.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 15, 2020 6:19 AM

May 2016
Chises mother probably has it the worst same applies to Chise... what a tragic past.

Josephs past gonna be probably more shocking.
Dec 21, 2020 2:55 PM

Jul 2017
Phenomenal, riveting, intense and grim episode and it was quite sad seeing Chise's backstory turn out to be like that + she even got her eye gouged out and replaced with the cursed eye that Cartaphilius had in exchange, when Cartaphilius was testing if she is compatible with him when he wanted her left arm. At least Chise in a way got to make peace with her mother, and managed to move on in a sense despite not being able to forgive her for what she did to her and even her ownself.
Oct 24, 2021 6:15 PM

Jan 2021
After Chise’s mom tried to choke her own daughter, I understood her killing herself as her saying “this is my way of never doing anything like what I just did again”. She knew what she had done would never go away. Sad stuff right there.
Dec 10, 2021 1:50 PM
Nov 2020
Some more details that were in the manga help explain what exactly Cartaphilus was doing with the curses.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.