Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 10, 2018 6:19 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy hell is this an intense match! SHAFT's visual flares turns up the notch on the mood and atmosphere. Totally digging the symbolism with the old tree! Just like everyone in the audience was at edge I was too. Unlike Rei matches you sorta get the feel where the story is progressing for him and whether he will win or lose. The desperation from the old man, Saku, to hold tightly towards the only thing he is good at. What a relatable thought. Can't believe Shimada lost again.
Mar 10, 2018 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
A very tense shogi match!

This episode highlighted not only the psychology but also, it felt like an epsiode that really gave me an impression of how a shogi match should be like for this particular show. Shimada put up a a pretty good fight...and really entertained me.
Mar 10, 2018 9:58 AM

Apr 2016
Felt a bit sorry for Shimada, he took quite some time to get back. But I guess there's always next time.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 10, 2018 10:42 AM
Aug 2009
For me it is 11/10.
Mar 10, 2018 10:46 AM
Sep 2015
They really use all kind of visual presentation, cinematography and poetry to render this match as good as possible... and it paid off
Mar 10, 2018 11:01 AM

Jun 2015
Wow, this was an amazing episode. The visuals and OST was fantastic. That shogi match was very intense. Congrats to Saku. I feel a bit bad for Shimada, he fought really hard, but maybe there will be a next time.
Mar 10, 2018 11:03 AM

Dec 2014
That, that was amazing. I'm at an utter loss of words after watching this, masterful presentation.

I might not understand the game of the Shogi very well but when a person like me can feel the intensity of the game without even completely understanding what was happening, you know they did a outstanding job at presenting the game.

Huge props to Shaft, the visuals in this episode were among some of the best I've seen in the series.

They conveyed the atmosphere of the game so damn well, both players were desperate for the win. One hanging on to the only thing that he's passionate and the other, desperate for his first title in his career. Each and every move both of them made gave me chills. I also really love how both of them had so much respect for each other after seeing the opponent's response to their moves/

Yanagihara comparison of Shimada of tree was depicted really well and the throwback to Gotou's quote about him fit really well.

That said, the presentation of Yangihara's desperation to win because of all the expectations that's been put on him along with his very own passion for the game was nothing short of brilliant.
I'm sad that Shimada lost, I really wanted him to win but I can't complain after seeing this episode.

Yanagihara's reflection on his life with him mentioning that every interaction he's had throughout his life has made him into who he is today and it's for that exact reason he always has to try and overcome his limits was fantastic. It's exactly as he says though, it's ironic, the weight of all those expectations that pull you down is also somehow your greatest motivation.

The final scene with the President saying Yanagihara said the same thing last year made me laugh.

Once again, fantastic episode. Delivered on every level.
Mar 10, 2018 11:05 AM

Dec 2014
I was really rooting for Saku to win. The few episodes they had to characterize him and I could feel for him bearing all those hopes. Also him thinking he's only near 60 at the end was pretty hilarious.
I need sleep.
Mar 10, 2018 11:08 AM

Jul 2017
Holy shit I was on the edge of my seat during that match. The Visuals fucking blew my mind.
Mar 10, 2018 11:11 AM
Aug 2011
That music theme playing in the first minute or so of episode is awesome. I wonder if there's any way to listen to it standalone and what is the composition's name.
Mar 10, 2018 11:33 AM

Jun 2014
Wow...what an episode. The visuals in this show, and the way they complement the scenes in which they're used, have always been amazing, but this episode managed to take it up several notches. Also, it's amazing how a match involving a board game I know nothing about was able to bring out an intensity that's similar to what I've experienced while watching action-packed sports anime (like Haikyuu or Kuroko).

I'm a bit sad that Shimada lost, but I was fine with whoever ended up winning. This was one of those cases where no matter the outcome, both parties deserved it in their own way.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 10, 2018 11:53 AM

Apr 2016
Don't know if it was because of the animation or the music, but this episode was intense, the match specifically.

Also next week finally some Akagi and sisters, yey!
Mar 10, 2018 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
I've lost all my words. This is so beautiful I have no other way to express it other than poetry. This episode is the ultimate definition of a masterpiece. SHAFT created such an amazing atmosphere with the blend of visual artistry and perfectly fitting soundtrack that I'm simply amazed. I got reduced to a happy blob of pure bliss for the duration of this episode. I wish I could say something more, but I can't. So I'm gonna end it with this

Praise SHAFT, the God of Anime
Mar 10, 2018 12:21 PM

Jul 2017
This show never ceases to amaze me.

Yet another tremendous episode bestowed upon us by SHAFT with its tremendous visuals.

Sadly only 4 episodes to go :( .

Easy 10/10 episode right here!
Mar 10, 2018 12:26 PM

Nov 2016
This series is truly something else.

Dunno where else I get such an intense shogi match accompanied with beautiful imagery and fantastic soundtrack.

Too bad for Shimada,but I guess I'm kinda glad that Yanagihara has won,cause it might have been his last shot.

Lol @ Nikaidou being happy to sit next to the winner.

Also great pic

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 10, 2018 1:36 PM

Jul 2013
The match was incredible, despite the fact that I don't know much about shogi (like most of the viewers, I guess), the feelings presented through it made it very enjoyable to watch, I think its on the level of the match of Rei against Junkei Yamazaki in the first cour. The visuals and ost in the scene when Yanagihara (metaphorically) grabs the robes who represents the dead ambitions of his friends because he is not going to give up despite being on his limit was awesome. Out of the new castmembers introduced on this season, I think he has to be my favourite one.

I feel a bit sad for Shimada for losing, but both he and his rival deserved to win, so it's all okay, he still has some chances, since, even with his depressing appearence, he is still young enough and has a whole life to win something. I'm really glad that Yanagihara, fighting till the end for his place in life, deservedly won the match. I'm very happy too for his friend Gaku-chan, since the victory of Yanagihara seemed to make him happier after how defeated he sounded in the previous episode.

With only 4 remaining episodes, I'm curious to see what path will take the series, since now that both the bullying arc and the shogi events have been solved, I don't know what is going to happen next.
Mar 10, 2018 1:51 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy fuck. Incredible.
Mar 10, 2018 2:00 PM

Apr 2016
I'll join the praises for Shaft. Music, art, acting. What an episode!

My highlight was when they just shift away from this incredible battle to show that normal life is still going on outside, unaware of what's happening in the shogi world and between these two men. That's brilliant.

Masterpiece.

Still remembering this thread when Shaft was announced as the studio for 3-Gatsu and there were so many people doubting Shaft would make this story justice. All wrong.
Mar 10, 2018 2:08 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. The visuals in this show are amazing.

Saku is one strong & determined old man. Congrats on winning.

Kawamoto sisters next week. YAY!!
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 10, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2015
Well, now I at least know that the most boring thing that could possibly come from this show are two episodes of shogi between side characters. Glad it's over.
Mar 10, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2016
The end is near :((
Mar 10, 2018 3:05 PM
Apr 2017
Lordwen said:
Well, now I at least know that the most boring thing that could possibly come from this show are two episodes of shogi between side characters. Glad it's over.

Is a shallow way to analyze it...
What is the problem with developing another character?
do they have to stay focused on the protagonist all the time?
Mar 10, 2018 3:23 PM

Jun 2017
I honestly wish this series would never end. It's just too great.
Mar 10, 2018 3:31 PM

Jun 2015
Artur_Moreira said:
Lordwen said:

Is a shallow way to analyze it...
What is the problem with developing another character?
do they have to stay focused on the protagonist all the time?
I'm not against developing side characters. The matter is stopping everything else for 2 episodes, when that character will most likely only appear a few seconds from now on.

Shimada was fairly forgotten for the whole second season up until this point as well, but his character arc during the 1st season had some implications with the bigger picture. This did not.

Nonetheless, what I mostly found boring was the repetitive imagery and the dragged out match. Even if I couldn't care less about the winner or any of their backstories.
Mar 10, 2018 4:17 PM

Nov 2007

A toast to Umino Chika-sensei from SHAFT. That was a beautiful touch showing how much respect they have for the author after pulling an absolute blinder of an episode! What an adaptation it has been!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 10, 2018 4:35 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, I have no words. This was so emotional on many levels and their hopeful message was delivered so brightly!

SHAFT really overdid themselves AGAIN (how many times did I said this in this series?) They delivered audio-visual explosion of shounen battle in its truest form coupled with encouraging life messages hidden underneath. I applaud.

Well, didn't think much about the last episode but now I see it was all preparation for this.

To the sisters again then. Wonder if Shaft overdo themselves once more in the upcoming conclusion of this cour.
Mar 10, 2018 5:15 PM

Apr 2016
its really amazing how intense this series can make the shogi matches, the always feel very powerful and emotional, and this one was no exception! I just love how every single character gets a moment in this series, even the ones that seem more minor to the story, which is what makes this my favorite slice-of-life anime ever.
I do feel kind of bad that Shimada always seems to lose though...
Mar 10, 2018 5:56 PM
Jan 2013
wow, that analogy of thousand sashs bind him down to the ground, so heavy that he is not budging against the big waves! it's so heavy moving while being expected from every side, such heavy burden but he managed to pull through.

it's really like a double-edged sword, expectations that is. not half-assed ones, but the pure and honest expectations from people dear for you. saku-chan, what a great match!
Mar 10, 2018 6:45 PM

Sep 2017
Holy hell, everything about that was incredible. My jaw actually dropped when Shimada lost. Last episode I was feeling like Shimada should win, but part way through this my thoughts started to change. When it finally happened I didn't know what to think. Easy 10/10.
Mar 10, 2018 6:54 PM
Apr 2016
Who could say that a character that just was comic relief has this strong background and amazing personality. A person that fights for others dreams, to achieve the goals of those who can't go ahead in the burned fields of professional shogi, using that as the fuel to see green fields. It was awe inspiring. The direction and animation of this show during the duel was outstanding. Here, my friends, we have a masterpiece. This show is topping itself episode by episode, arc by arc. Bulliyng arc was raw and emmotional, Rey vs Toya was poetic and this one was mesmerizing. Keep topping yourself, Sangatsu no Lion.

First time I gave note and favorited a series before it is finished. After 18 episodes of pure animation magic, emotions and beauty, this is the only thing I could do. Bravo SHAFT, Sangatsu season two is simply the best anime of XXI Century

PS: Kawamoto Sisters will be back, I miss them.
Lax_CauxMar 10, 2018 7:06 PM
Mar 10, 2018 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
I love how this show portrays all the adults as people that are still growing, striving, and fighting. I feel like a lot of anime don't really give enough credit to people that have already moved beyond their adolescence.
Mar 10, 2018 10:05 PM

Nov 2011
So, it was great to see Yanagihara achieving the ultimate title but I also kinda feel bad for Shimada. I wanna give him a hug.
The imagery this episode was outstanding.
Baby, daijobanai...
Mar 10, 2018 10:42 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Bloody hell, this is one of the finest episode I have ever seen in my life. Very intense and psychological, and even to the point where it felt like I was part of it. I have no words really. Brilliant 10/10 to sum it all up.

Shimada really put up a good fight. Yanagahari reaching out for those threads with all his strength and remembering all those promises was just so breathtaking and intense. I just don’t know how to put it really. He really did make it a field of green, Congratulations Mr. Eternal Kishou Saku. I was really rooting for him given how much attention we were given of him for the last couple of episodes but I thought he’d lost when animation and the flow really just took it to the next level there in the most decisive moments. I’m so happy he made it to his tenth, and I’m so sorry for Shimada making it two losses in two consecutive finals. He really is like the tree Saku was talking about, and I’m hoping that he will start winning now just like the other old man claimed he would.

The final picture was just gold. No words to describe that. I hope Saku will give it another go, but he’s done more than enough already. Just follow your heart now, you legend.

First time ever am I obliged to award a show 10/10 even though it hasn’t even aired 90% of the Season. It’s my rule to never give a show a 10/10 until I watch every single bit of it, and assess it in my mind, but this Show just crossed the limit for 10/10 already. I’m pretty sure the next few episodes will be as good no matter what. I’m sad that there’s only about 4 or so episodes to go, and the chances for a third Season better be high. I need More of this! Please kamisama! Well, anyway, here’s hoping for more and for the best of this masterpiece.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 11, 2018 3:10 AM

Nov 2016
Does anyone know the OST around 01 : 20?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2018 3:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The Allusion of Shimada as a tree that keeps on growing back stronger than before was an apt one. That sure was an intense match though for both of them who had many reasons to win. So Saku ended up fulfilling his promise and gaining the title Eternal Kishou huh. The victory celebration and the photo scenes though sure were fun. You may lose your friends as life goes on but your memories of them will remain with you forever. Interesting how the hopes of his friends is also his shield as well as his anchor though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2018 3:23 AM
Aug 2017
Lordwen said:

It is these episodes that make this series that good but I guess you are too shallow and immature to understand this. The amount of episodes like this will increase in the future if there is another season so if you find this boring, try to brace through it or drop it like the manga readers who complain about the same thing as you.

Himawari9Mar 11, 2018 3:29 AM
Mar 11, 2018 3:36 AM

Oct 2014
WHAT
THE
HELL

I lost words during the episode because how PERFECT the adaptation is.. it just blew my fucking mind holy hell.. i already anticipate the adaptation will be epic but OH MY GOD it is beyond my expectation..

10/10
Mar 11, 2018 3:49 AM

Jun 2015
Himawari9 said:
Lordwen said:

It is these episodes that make this series that good but I guess you are too shallow and immature to understand this. The amount of episodes like this will increase in the future if there is another season so if you find this boring, try to brace through it or drop it like the manga readers who complain about the same thing as you.

"It is these episodes that make this series that good "

Why? You try to discredit what I say by calling me things, instead of contributing to any discussion. That's a more immature approach. Also, almost the whole series has focused on Rei up until this point, so trying to say something else is the selling point of the series doesn't make any sense.

"At one point, there is even a joke about Rei's status as the MC"

Well, it's a joke for a reason, I don't mind that.
Mar 11, 2018 3:56 AM
Mar 2016
Watching that one had chills running through my spine, the visuals were great and the soundtrack also complemented it well and somehow getting a real intensive match. Also worth noting that it was better than the manga.
Mar 11, 2018 4:27 AM

Dec 2014
well this was intense but really wanted old man to lose though
Mar 11, 2018 4:38 AM

Sep 2017
Ugh love this show so much but why couldn't they let Shimada win :/, I was disappointed.
Mar 11, 2018 5:29 AM
Aug 2011
Lordwen said:

Since the main topic of the anime is actually the world of competitive sport, the motivations of different people inside it, how they perceive the world of shogi and how they connect to the "normal" world, this episode made a HUGE contribution to the overarching anime theme. It may be not to your liking, but it's exactly the thing that makes this show strong as an art piece.
AvestusMar 11, 2018 5:36 AM
Mar 11, 2018 6:11 AM

Sep 2013
What a masterpiece episode,i don't even have the words for what i just saw.

the visual metaphors were mind blowing,a proof animes are not dead like some people say(in contrary !) ,plus like it wasn't some empty shell that just look incredible there were so much meanings and truth behind these scenes,got me right in the feels,it reminded me a lot of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu on that.

Season 1 was great and i loved every minutes of it but this second season is just masterpiece tier,its what an anime,no a work of art should be,if the 4 last episodes are like this its instant 10/10 with wish you could rate it higher.
Deep dark fantasies
Mar 11, 2018 6:12 AM

Jun 2015
Avestus said:
Lordwen said:

Since the main topic of the anime is actually the world of competitive sport, the motivations of different people inside it, how they perceive the world of shogi and how they connect to the "normal" world, this episode made a HUGE contribution to the overarching anime theme. It may be not to your liking, but it's exactly the thing that makes this show strong as an art piece.
It's one of the main themes indeed, and actually one of my favorite aspects of the series when it comes to Rei. Because it's his development what makes 3-gatsu a strong art piece, not the scattered development of two? side characters through shogi (at least up until this point).

In this case we were thrown into the match and supposed to care about the old man's flashbacks filled with the same repeating imagery. They gave him 2 entire episodes, yet it never went past the fact he's old and that everyone else around him retired. It was very simplistic compared to when we see "the world of competitive sport" through the eyes of a more nuanced character (not only Rei, but Nikaidou for instance).
Mar 11, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2017
Did i just watch the best episode of this season!? Am i allowed to call it such!?!??!

I just can't believe my eyes. I don't even know what i should praise the most, but what the studio accomplished with this episode is just incredible. Mind blowing. One of the things in which the exceled the most was in the music selection, the atmosphere it helped created alongside with mesmerizing visuals and storytelling.

I am truly surprised. This was just beautiful.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 11, 2018 7:22 AM

Nov 2016
The shogi match was intense! I love Shimada but he still has time. I'm glad Yanagihara won.

The image of Yanagihara facing flames all tied up is powerful. I might use it as desktop wallpaper.

Rei looks so cute in the commemorative picture! xD
Mar 11, 2018 7:41 AM

Mar 2014
Magnificent episode. Every scene during a mach had profound beauty in it. Those visions, methaphors all that supported by good soundtrack and, as always, brilliant visuals.
Mar 11, 2018 7:45 AM
Aug 2011
Lordwen said:

In this case we were thrown into the match and supposed to care about the old man's flashbacks filled with the same repeating imagery. They gave him 2 entire episodes, yet it never went past the fact he's old and that everyone else around him retired. It was very simplistic compared to when we see "the world of competitive sport" through the eyes of a more nuanced character (not only Rei, but Nikaidou for instance).

Well, I could tell that they've shown nothing but "Nikaido is ill but puts up a brave face" and that would hold as much truth as your statement. In fact each part of "ill" and "puts up a brave face" is way more nuanced in the show. In the same way "old and everyone around him is retired" translates to "he sees his comrades passing from shogi and normal life and on one hand they're his friends, on the other he feels detached from them since he's nowhere near the point of full exhaustion and the more he goes forward, the harder it is to carry his role of human torch he plays among his peers. He is tired, but at the same time excitable. He is afraid and combats his fears with shogi passion, duty to his friends and carrying on playing the role he's addicted to". I think he got enough development in these two episodes and the "people on the brink of retirement" is important part for the main theme of the show. I don't really see difference between his flashbacks and, for example, Rei's "what is there beyond the storm" mind scenery. Both are done brilliantly, both have semantic meaning conveyed through interesting form. I mean, ok, you may be not interesting in that part of competitive world depiction (this whole "old guard" theme), but from the point of how well it's done and how nuanced it is, there's no drop in quality compared to Rei's moments.
Mar 11, 2018 8:08 AM

Oct 2017
Dear god... that episode was super well done. Saku ended up winning in the end which was probably the best decision to wrap up this story. He’s turned all his burdens and restrains he’s put on himself by others into hope. He gained the title he’s been working for as the eldest player. In the end, everything was amazing. Pv of the next episode shows that it’s gonna be a episode with Hinata and the family. Can’t wait.
Mar 11, 2018 12:16 PM

Jul 2014
A beautiful and excellently-executed conclusion to these couple of episodes focused on Saku, though I would say I was kinda surprised that he did win based on how they were presenting things, but I feel like this was a better conclusion to this mini-arc than having Shimada win and Saku's career possibly end with defeat.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.