Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2018 1:23 AM

Mar 2016
Big fan of Boogiepop and never thought I'd see the day where we'd get another Boogiepop anime.

Some basic info:
Boogiepop's source material is a long running series of light novels responsible for starting the light novel boom in the late 90s that extended to the 2000s as you know.
Only four of these novels are available in English legally or otherwise (the first three books, and Boogiepop at Dawn, the 6th)
Boogiepop at Dawn is a prequel however it assumes you know who people are so it's best to read the novels in the order in which they were released.
There are two Boogiepop manga, the first is an adaptation of the first novel, and the second (Boogiepop Dual) is an original story taking place outside the main setting of the series.
In addition, there is the Boogiepop and Others film which adapts the first novel. And finally, the Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh: Boogiepop Phantom anime series.

Viewers of Boogiepop Phantom are assumed to have read at least the first novel (or experienced its adaptations) as it sheds quite a bit of light on the events of the anime. However, aside from that, Boogiepop Phantom is its own take on the material and mostly doesn't adapt the events of the novels or manga that have been translated, though it implies in several scenes as well as explicitly shows that the events of the novels still happen in the anime.

The original anime is a bit difficult to talk about so I won't go in-depth. I will however say it's a must watch for fans of psychological horror as several of its episodes are perhaps the finest example of the genre as far as anime goes, with absolutely phenomenal sound design. However, it will most likely not be directly connected to this new anime even if the studio is the same, as Boogiepop Phantom was its own take on the material and focused on the horror aspects of the story far heavier than the novels ever did. You shouldn't expect this series to be as effective as psychological horror as the previous series as the source material is more along the lines of supernatural fiction with some horror elements.

Back to the new anime, the trailer shows Nagi Kirima confronting Spooky E. Spooky E appeared in the VS Imaginator two part series so it's already confirmed that this anime will be adapting past the first novel. I don't recognize the other events depicted, perhaps my memory is spotty, or perhaps the scenes are from the other dozen or two novels that I can't read. If anyone recognizes them, feel free to point out.

So basically before watching this anime, if you're a newcomer you should:
Experience the story of Boogiepop and Others (the first novel) in some form. The anime once again might not bother to recap it. I would highly recommend the novel as it's a quick read but the manga's fine too, I guess. The movie is a bit too dull to work as an introduction to the series, but it does adapt the story faithfully enough if you're afraid of reading (then again the movie doesn't have a dub). If you like the first novel, go ahead and read the rest.

I wouldn't recommend Boogiepop Phantom to the average viewer, but I would recommend it to fans of horror anime. Just remember that this anime won't be like the old one, most likely.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 10, 2018 2:58 AM
Aug 2016
I'm so surprised that my dream comes true, I mean I physically dreamed that Boogiepop shall return this year, truly exciting to me, whether or not it shall be like its predecessor I have to see it
Mar 10, 2018 5:27 AM

May 2013
The prequel was a mess, when finished i had no idea what i have just watched. The anime was poorly done hopefully this will be better.

Mar 10, 2018 6:00 AM

Sep 2015
It only took them 20 FUCKING YEARS!!!!!

Ok, I watched the anime and I loved it. I would read the novels if Seven Seas were no longer thinking of translating it- SO THANK GOD THIS HAPPENED.

This is probably THE most influential [light] novel series EVER, and I've been dying to see what goes on in it. And it's freaky that I've been thinking about it recently too...

Hopefully this adaptation will go far and gain enough traction for the novels to get rereleases. This is made by the same guy who inspired NisiOisiN and many other great creators in the anime, manga and light novel industry!

I AM HYPED! BOOGIEPOP HAS RETURNED!!!!!!

(P.S. I'm sure Digbro is crying his ass off now thanks to this big news... he's been waiting for this for about 10 years or something...)
Draconix814Mar 10, 2018 6:38 AM
Mar 10, 2018 6:01 AM

Sep 2015
ALSO BY MADHOUSE!
Mar 10, 2018 8:15 AM
Sep 2007
Definitely one of biggest news these days; I always felt it was such a shame that we only have 12 episodes of the original anime, since setting and characters are really interesting.

I actually just removed anime, and both manga from my list because I plan to watch / read them anew prior starting new adaptation.

Hopefully, more people get to like Boogiepop, and there comes more seasons in future.
Mar 10, 2018 2:03 PM

Jan 2017
I wish they'd approve the entry so I can add it to my list before I forget about it.

Mar 10, 2018 2:16 PM

May 2013
J_LEE_C said:
I wish they'd approve the entry so I can add it to my list before I forget about it.

It will add automatically to your ptw list once anime is approved.

Mar 10, 2018 3:53 PM

Sep 2015
KalfKaneda said:
J_LEE_C said:

It will add automatically to your ptw list once anime is approved.

Since when??????
Mar 10, 2018 4:10 PM

Sep 2016
Draconix814 said:

Ok, I watched the anime and I loved it. I would read the novels if Seven Seas were no longer thinking of translating it- SO THANK GOD THIS HAPPENED.

This is probably THE most influential [light] novel series EVER, and I've been dying to see what goes on in it. And it's freaky that I've been thinking about it recently too...

Hopefully this adaptation will go far and gain enough traction for the novels to get rereleases. This is made by the same guy who inspired NisiOisiN and many other great creators in the anime, manga and light novel industry!

(P.S. I'm sure Digbro is crying his ass off now thanks to this big news... he's been waiting for this for about 10 years or something...)
lol

https://twitter.com/Digibrah/status/972314143406678016
https://twitter.com/Digibrah/status/972336361750564864
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 10, 2018 4:15 PM

Sep 2015
PolarCyrus97 said:
Draconix814 said:

lol

https://twitter.com/Digibrah/status/972314143406678016
https://twitter.com/Digibrah/status/972336361750564864

I freaking called it, thanks XD
Mar 10, 2018 5:14 PM

Jan 2016
Posted this on the news article:

Why is Shingo Natsume the fucking coolest new director in the cut right now? If he continues like this I think we are gonna be talking about him like he’s one of the greats in a decade or two.
GoldNautilusMar 10, 2018 5:21 PM
Mar 10, 2018 8:11 PM

May 2012
rvbrick said:
Big fan of Boogiepop and never thought I'd see the day where we'd get another Boogiepop anime.

Some basic info:
Boogiepop's source material is a long running series of light novels responsible for starting the light novel boom in the late 90s that extended to the 2000s as you know.
Only four of these novels are available in English legally or otherwise (the first three books, and Boogiepop at Dawn, the 6th)
Boogiepop at Dawn is a prequel however it assumes you know who people are so it's best to read the novels in the order in which they were released.
There are two Boogiepop manga, the first is an adaptation of the first novel, and the second (Boogiepop Dual) is an original story taking place outside the main setting of the series.
In addition, there is the Boogiepop and Others film which adapts the first novel. And finally, the Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh: Boogiepop Phantom anime series.

Viewers of Boogiepop Phantom are assumed to have read at least the first novel (or experienced its adaptations) as it sheds quite a bit of light on the events of the anime. However, aside from that, Boogiepop Phantom is its own take on the material and mostly doesn't adapt the events of the novels or manga that have been translated, though it implies in several scenes as well as explicitly shows that the events of the novels still happen in the anime.

The original anime is a bit difficult to talk about so I won't go in-depth. I will however say it's a must watch for fans of psychological horror as several of its episodes are perhaps the finest example of the genre as far as anime goes, with absolutely phenomenal sound design. However, it will most likely not be directly connected to this new anime even if the studio is the same, as Boogiepop Phantom was its own take on the material and focused on the horror aspects of the story far heavier than the novels ever did. You shouldn't expect this series to be as effective as psychological horror as the previous series as the source material is more along the lines of supernatural fiction with some horror elements.

Back to the new anime, the trailer shows Nagi Kirima confronting Spooky E. Spooky E appeared in the VS Imaginator two part series so it's already confirmed that this anime will be adapting past the first novel. I don't recognize the other events depicted, perhaps my memory is spotty, or perhaps the scenes are from the other dozen or two novels that I can't read. If anyone recognizes them, feel free to point out.

So basically before watching this anime, if you're a newcomer you should:
Experience the story of Boogiepop and Others (the first novel) in some form. The anime once again might not bother to recap it. I would highly recommend the novel as it's a quick read but the manga's fine too, I guess. The movie is a bit too dull to work as an introduction to the series, but it does adapt the story faithfully enough if you're afraid of reading (then again the movie doesn't have a dub). If you like the first novel, go ahead and read the rest.

I wouldn't recommend Boogiepop Phantom to the average viewer, but I would recommend it to fans of horror anime. Just remember that this anime won't be like the old one, most likely.

I didn't know that Boogiepop Phantom was different than the novels. I thought it had adapted a volume or two like any other anime adaptations. I freaking loved Boogiepop Phantom and it's one of the few 10/10 of my list.

Based on the action show on the trailer i saw how it's less psychological horror than the first as you said and your post helped me understand some things which will be good for when the new anime begins.
I despise woke people.
Mar 11, 2018 7:15 AM

Aug 2017
hopefully its better than the original
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2018 7:30 AM

Jul 2012
Big fan of the light novels and the anime "adaptation", they have solid 10/10s in my book for many specific reasons, the clever storytelling and presentation in particular are very high points (and so is the extraordinary atmosphere and sound directing of the anime, which is inferior to almost no anime ever, in my honest opinion).

I'm hoping for a two cour adaptation of the first 4 novels if possible.

If anyone is hoping to start with the anime, remember that there are several plot points only hinted at, and without a previous reading of at least the first book, putting the information together will probably take you some rewatches. Iirc the DVD set even had in its content in the "Extra" menu some explicitly stated key information in text regarding this stuff, if it is of any help (I would still opt for reading at least the first novel though, as it is hellish confusing to understand as a standalone, especially later on).

PURE HYPE!!
Mar 11, 2018 8:00 AM
Apr 2008
Kaetokiha said:

I didn't know that Boogiepop Phantom was different than the novels. I thought it had adapted a volume or two like any other anime adaptations. I freaking loved Boogiepop Phantom and it's one of the few 10/10 of my list.

Based on the action show on the trailer i saw how it's less psychological horror than the first as you said and your post helped me understand some things which will be good for when the new anime begins.

Dude, are you me? Everything you said completely applies to me, too.
Mar 11, 2018 8:41 AM

Jan 2013
i like how the title of this new sequel still makes me roflmao: "poopiepop never laughs, poopiepop doesn't laugh"
Mar 11, 2018 10:25 AM
May 2016
Boogiepoop is back, stronger than before!
Mar 11, 2018 10:34 AM

Aug 2017
I'm kinda shocked by this news, the legenday series of light novels were the first I had read for a long time and the previous anime was mind fucking for myself as a brat.

Totally looking forward for this, I will try to not get all my expectations high up but hope is gonna be a decent adaptation at least, I guess I'm re-reading all my books.

If only Akuma no Mikata will be ever get some sort of re-release.
Mar 11, 2018 10:55 AM

Feb 2013
why the fuck are they remaking my favorite obscure hipster shows that only 5 people in the world have watched?

time to watch airing anime again
Mar 11, 2018 11:34 AM

May 2017
Looking at the staff listed, it looks like One Punch Man Season 2 died for this. Hope it's worth it!
Mar 11, 2018 12:20 PM
Apr 2008
Daddy-O said:
why the fuck are they remaking my favorite obscure hipster shows that only 5 people in the world have watched?

It's not a remake.
Mar 11, 2018 12:32 PM

May 2012
prophetic said:
Kaetokiha said:

Dude, are you me? Everything you said completely applies to me, too.

Perhaps i'm you from another dimension.
I despise woke people.
Mar 11, 2018 12:44 PM

Feb 2013
prophetic said:
Daddy-O said:

It's not a remake.
Whatever. If the Imaginator plotline is gonna be in it I'll be happy af, those books were fantastic.
Mar 11, 2018 1:32 PM
Jan 2015
wow, really?
Boogiepop anime was really stylish, but with somewhat lackluster animation, crappy subs and real disconnect in plot development, if this 2018 anime will remove all that it will be 10/10 material easily.
Mar 11, 2018 2:37 PM

Nov 2014
never expected this i'm stoked. also in 2018 by madhouse baby.
Mar 11, 2018 3:03 PM

Mar 2014
This is big news! I loved the anime and even read a detailed ~50 page explanation online which I presume told a lot of what happened in the novels. I might even rewatch the original and possibly read the media.

I hope they animate as much as they can and don't just remake the old anime. That would be a bummer.
Mar 11, 2018 4:23 PM

Sep 2015
Though if this possibly 12 episode TV series is only adapting the first novel, I don't think we'll be seeing much more after this. There are 20 novels in Boogiepop, either they adapt this for 20 years, 12 episodes a piece, or they make a long-running anime out of it (eventually). I really do hope Seven Seas starts translating them again :/
Mar 11, 2018 5:17 PM

Mar 2016
Draconix814 said:
Though if this possibly 12 episode TV series is only adapting the first novel, I don't think we'll be seeing much more after this. There are 20 novels in Boogiepop, either they adapt this for 20 years, 12 episodes a piece, or they make a long-running anime out of it (eventually). I really do hope Seven Seas starts translating them again :/

They're not just adapting the first novel. In fact, none of the scenes in the trailer were from the first novel.
It'll probably be 12 episodes, no big deal. Especially since it probably will lead to Seven Seas finally translating more of the books.
Mar 11, 2018 6:27 PM

Jul 2016
all i can say is that this feels weird. why a adaption now, huh...?
Mar 11, 2018 6:45 PM
Sep 2013
Wew, never thought we would get another anime.
Mar 11, 2018 6:59 PM

Dec 2017
Draconix814 said:
There are 20 novels in Boogiepop, either they adapt this for 20 years, 12 episodes a piece, or they make a long-running anime out of it (eventually).

This would make one of my dreams come true.
私が見たのが、ブギーポップだったのかどうかは分からない。
Mar 11, 2018 7:08 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Holy shit, Agraph is on the soundtrack! That guy has written some of the best scores of the past several years (Ping Pong is one of my top-3 anime soundtracks of all time), and this year alone he's writing for three different shows. What a beast. With that director and that composer I cannot possibly imagine this being bad. Strap in, boys and girls, seems like we're in for a fun ride!
Mar 11, 2018 7:50 PM

Sep 2015
rvbrick said:
Draconix814 said:

They're not just adapting the first novel. In fact, none of the scenes in the trailer were from the first novel.
It'll probably be 12 episodes, no big deal. Especially since it probably will lead to Seven Seas finally translating more of the books.

Wait, what trailer? And hopefully they are adapting more than just one novel-- I would think that they'd try to make a 24 episode adaptation rather than a 12 one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Mar 11, 2018 7:54 PM

Mar 2016
Draconix814 said:
rvbrick said:

Wait, what trailer? And hopefully they are adapting more than just one novel-- I would think that they'd try to make a 24 episode adaptation rather than a 12 one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g1f1c (ha, can't believe I forgot to post the preview in an info topic, lololo)
Mar 11, 2018 8:05 PM

Sep 2015
rvbrick said:
Draconix814 said:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g1f1c (ha, can't believe I forgot to post the preview in an info topic, lololo)

Thanks a lot, IT LOOKS FANTASTIC! Do I hear A Silent Voice's soundtrack? Holy f@#k! The choreography and direction looks fantastic too, man I cannot wait for this. I'm sorry, but this is now my most anticipated anime series in a while, and I have a lot of my favorites getting sequels this year- that's saying much.
Mar 11, 2018 8:06 PM
Jun 2013
one of my favorite shows is coming back! between this, the lovely fall season and banana fish finally getting an anime, i'm starting to feel like it's my birthday.
Mar 11, 2018 8:10 PM

Jan 2014
this was totally out of nowhere for me lol, i'm kind of happy but at same time not very happy by watching the preview, i miss the more dark old animation art like the anime adapt had, or Lain for example, i think it worked better on this time of genre, my opinion ofc i just like it more :)
Mar 11, 2018 9:11 PM
Feb 2016
When I saw this announcement I had an orgasm. I thought I was dreaming, that it was too good to be true. Never thought the light novel was popular enough to get a new adaptation. And it's going to be done by madhouse too. Yes yes yes. I've only read the first novel but it was absolutely fantastic. I'm trying not to have expectations but this surprised me so much.
bacontrarianMar 11, 2018 9:16 PM
Mar 12, 2018 10:45 AM

Dec 2017
Fuck Yeah! I am so hyped for this series. Saw the original anime so long ago.
Mar 12, 2018 2:32 PM
Sep 2016
Well, I Just Want To Understand This Anime, This Was The First Anime That Had Left Me Totally Clueless, I Love Psychological, Horror And Thriller Stuffs, Hyped For This Af
Mar 12, 2018 4:01 PM

May 2009
I was totally not expecting this I'M SHOOK
Mar 12, 2018 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
ahh yes boogiepop that one anime noone knows of that noone asked for.
Mar 12, 2018 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
Maelstrom said:

You mean no one expected for, maybe. Don't get me wrong many people wanted this in every single major Dengeki Bunko event besides being a cult and slightly forgotten darkhorse from them (in a lesser escale than Index 3 of course, but it was always there in the shadows, and many of us were very much happy when Boogiepop was added to the roaster of their "Jump ultimate all stars" thing too, it's shown they still cared about it, and look at where we are now).

Boogiepop was one big cult hit together with Lain, when it came to Europe (particularly France and Italy), the US and America in general (via Locomotion). Maybe 'you' didn't know about, but most of us old timers at the very least know it by name (and others like myself are huge fans of it ever since it became available in the west).

Mar 12, 2018 8:57 PM

Sep 2015
Maelstrom said:

What are you talking about? I asked for it a month ago on the director for Boogiepop Phantom's MAL page (Watanabe Takahashi). I guess Shingo heard my prayers though :P
Mar 13, 2018 12:08 AM
Jul 2018
Draconix814 said:
Maelstrom said:

What are you talking about? I asked for it a month ago on the director for Boogiepop Phantom's MAL page (Watanabe Takahashi). I guess Shingo heard my prayers though :P
whoa this looks like a once in a lifetime prayer.
Mar 13, 2018 4:34 AM

Sep 2015
Maelstrom said:
Draconix814 said:

whoa this looks like a once in a lifetime prayer.

Hahaha. If only it worked for all the other series that I pray to get animated...
Mar 13, 2018 4:56 AM

May 2015
oh my,, a new boogiepop anime
My Candies:
Mar 13, 2018 5:23 AM

Nov 2014
Music: Ushio, Kensuke, LETS FUCKING GO
Mar 13, 2018 7:45 AM

Jan 2016
Let me clear something up. This is not a remake of Boogiepop Phantom. Phantom was an anime original spinoff that took place chronologically between the first two novels and addressed some of their loose ends (i may be wrong, saw Phantom but never read the books, but this is how it was explained to me.) This adaptation will actually be of the novels themselves.

Danpmss said:
I'm hoping for a two cour adaptation of the first 4 novels if possible.

Now that you mention it, it didn’t even cross my mind that this would adapt multiple books. I assume it will be 11-13 episodes covering the first two.

Now I kinda wish this had gone to Shaft and been directed by Tatsuya Oishi, they woulda done the whole damn series! And I feel like their style is suited to dark urban fantasy.
GoldNautilusMar 13, 2018 7:49 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

104 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.