Forum Settings
Forums

RIP Toys R Us: All stores are closing next week due to chapter 11 bankruptcy

New
Mar 9, 2018 4:46 PM

Nov 2008
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/does-toys-r-us-apos-170444455.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/toys-r-us-considers-closing-all-of-its-u-s-stores-1520549311

Online shopping has killed another brick and mortar store and an iconic one as I remember buying Genesis and Playstation games and strategy guides from there decades ago.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 9, 2018 4:56 PM

Dec 2016
I don't think it's so much online shopping but video game consoles that have destroyed toys r us. I never see kids playing with actual toys or going outside that often anymore.
Mar 9, 2018 4:58 PM

Sep 2014
My local Toys R Us is in such a bad area and neighborhood, that it barely gets any businesses. If they followed such a bad location every store in the country, no wonder they're dead/dying. Plus all their inventory is at least 20% more expensive than Walmart's. They're still selling the original Ps4 controller at $65, when all other stores in my city all have it at $55. Best Buy has it for $40.
Mar 9, 2018 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
My childhood Toys-R-Us was replaced by a car dealership years ago. RIP to the entire company, honestly, I got a lot of toys from them when I was little.
Mar 9, 2018 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
Sorry to see it go.

We never had a Toys R Us in my area, but I always remember seeing commercials about it.

Mar 9, 2018 5:01 PM

Apr 2015
I've only been to Toys R' Us twice in my life. I wish I would've been able to go more.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 9, 2018 5:02 PM

Apr 2017
i used to cop yugioh cards there back in the day
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Mar 9, 2018 5:04 PM

Feb 2010
Times change online shopping just does better welcome to captialism.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 9, 2018 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
not so much as online shopping, but rather terrible management that didn't know how to adapt and stay competitive. when Amazon came and started selling books in direct competition to Barnes & Noble and Borders. the former introduced starbucks and tried to make their stores a place for social gathering, as well as also offering digital books similar to kindle books. granted, the Nook didn't take off as they hoped, but the point is: they knew they had to adapt or their business would die, so they proceeded accordingly. Borders, however, stuck to their old business model. they did push for digital book sales, but by the time they released Kobo, it was already too late. to this day, you can find seveal Barnes & Noble stores across the country. Borders, on the other hand, is long dead.
by the same token, Target and Wallmart kept with the times. Toys R Us didn't.

by the way, Amazon is investing heavily in physical stores. you can find a list of all the stores here:
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=13270229011
if online was the reason for the downfall of physical stores, it would make little sense for Amazon to open so many stores.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Mar 9, 2018 5:33 PM

Aug 2007
My parents rarely took me to Toys R Us, so I don't have much feels about this. The only thing I can recall is buying Pokemon Emerald over there.

My local Toys/Babys R Us were in the initial list of stores closing, already went to buy baby items at 40% discount. But there is a Toys R Us half an hour away that opened back in December. Now it feels like they wasted their money.
Mar 9, 2018 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
The only hope TRU and related places had was to become like Bass Pro Shop and such, a niche place heavily into design and experience instead of trying to out-muscle Amazon and Ebay for online sales.

Strangely 7 or so Suncoasts still exist. For those who don't remember, the last time these were more common was way back when stuff like Samurai Champloo was starting to appear on Adult Swim.
Mar 9, 2018 10:41 PM

Dec 2007
First off, the story is still unconfirmed: as far as I can see, all we have is an unidentified source that said that "it is considering" shutting down all stores. That's not a guarantee. Not surprising or unlikely, but hardly a foregone conclusion. And if that does happen, it's not going to be quite that sudden. I highly doubt all stores will suddenly close next week - unless they already have buyers lined up for their merchandise, even a liquidation could get more out of having a few weeks of fire sales than just closing shop without telling anyone.

Second, this is only an expansion on old news: it's been known for months that Toys R US would be closing nearly 20% of their stores in the US, and that their UK stores were in jeopardy. And it's been known for years that they were operating at a loss. In the end, this was only a question of "when."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.