Mar 14, 2018 4:48 PM

Jul 2010
Mar 16, 2018 10:44 AM

Oct 2007
Finally able to catch up on this

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

@JizzyHitler I actually understand what @Scarlett_ryuken is talking about when he says it feels like two shows. Of course what's happening on both sides is interconnected on several levels and we need the political drama science side with the doctor to properly understand the rescue mission, but the way the scenes alternate seems pretty random, like they did each side separately, cut them into pieces and then decided them mix them up.

Sometimes I have trouble keeping up with the exposition side and remembering the information because my brain was busy admiring the ridiculous OTT battle tactics that require little attention for me to be wowed by and then, bam, remember this MF! it feels like I really am watching two different shows and my mind has to adjust to the jarring alternation of each side. At times the way it's shown is relevant and it makes sense, like
, but that seems to be more of a coincidence after the show jumping back and forth to each side at seemingly random moments.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 16, 2018 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
I can understand the points about it feeling like two shows but to me B: The Beginning felt more like two different shows than AICO does so far. I know not everyone like comparisons to B but it's really hard not to when they came out so close to each other from netflix.
Mar 16, 2018 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
episode 11

episode 12
JizzyHitlerMar 16, 2018 4:08 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 17, 2018 4:40 PM

Jul 2010

TenthMar 18, 2018 4:24 PM
Mar 19, 2018 6:45 AM

Oct 2007
Episode 5

Episode 6
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 21, 2018 3:58 AM

Oct 2007
Episode 7

Episode 8

Episode 9

密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 23, 2018 8:08 PM

Oct 2007
Episode 10

Episode 11

Episode 12
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 24, 2018 7:31 AM

Jul 2010
omakase said:
Episode 12

Yeah, kinda wish it focused a bit more on the worldbuilding as well, did they explain how far the matter had spread? like was it just Japan or this town in particular because can't remember if there was anything else about the rest of the world.... although they keep ignoring the rest of the world in anime anyways. You'd think the political side of things they'd focus a bit more on that.
Mar 24, 2018 7:56 AM

Oct 2007
Tenth said:
omakase said:
Episode 12

Yeah, kinda wish it focused a bit more on the worldbuilding as well, did they explain how far the matter had spread? like was it just Japan or this town in particular because can't remember if there was anything else about the rest of the world.... although they keep ignoring the rest of the world in anime anyways. You'd think the political side of things they'd focus a bit more on that.

In episode 2 when Kurose is doing the infodump he says that the matter only spread from Primary Point (the Kiryu lab basically) down the river through the damn to the edge of town and the area was closed off to keep it from spreading anywhere else, but it was basically just one line in a bunch of episodes that's a very small detail you'd have to remember. There was no explanation either on why

But well, I read somewhere else that this has a plot structure like a Western sci-fi movie, with the focus on plot and action and little character development besides superficial ploys to make the audience emotional at times. I thought that was an interesting way to see it and it would fit trying to appeal to Netflix's more international audience.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 25, 2018 9:42 AM

Feb 2010
omakase said:
But well, I read somewhere else that this has a plot structure like a Western sci-fi movie, with the focus on plot and action and little character development besides superficial ploys to make the audience emotional at times. I thought that was an interesting way to see it and it would fit trying to appeal to Netflix's more international audience.

You can get away with that in movies because they're too short, but the western Sci-Fi Series I know are all pretty character-driven, from Fringe to Stargate to Babylon 5, Killjoys or The Expanse. So I'd say that's more of a movie thing than a western or sci-fi thing, and no excuse for AICO, a 12-episode series.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 25, 2018 10:23 AM

Oct 2007
Pullman said:
omakase said:

You can get away with that in movies because they're too short, but the western Sci-Fi Series I know are all pretty character-driven, from Fringe to Stargate to Babylon 5, Killjoys or The Expanse. So I'd say that's more of a movie thing than a western or sci-fi thing, and no excuse for AICO, a 12-episode series.

It wasn't really me who came to that conclusion, I just mentioned it because I thought it was an interesting way to see it and well, I think that there are movies out there that are character-driven too and explore the in-world masterfully, so I also would object to that comment.

Your objection to my comment is fair though. The reason why I thought the interpretation fit AICO is precisely because to me it would have worked a little better if it had been shorter, like a movie, since it would have been more possible to forgive its flaws. The action becomes repetitive and tedious over the 1-cour and the dosification of convoluted plot twists make less sense because a more trained viewer will realize that the stuff in between is just padding and plot-serving, very artificial storytelling.

I definitely don't think AICO got away with it, although I guess some people would disagree with me, unfortunately.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Mar 25, 2018 10:45 AM

Feb 2010
omakase said:
Pullman said:

It wasn't really me who came to that conclusion, I just mentioned it because I thought it was an interesting way to see it and well, I think that there are movies out there that are character-driven too and explore the in-world masterfully, so I also would object to that comment.

Your objection to my comment is fair though. The reason why I thought the interpretation fit AICO is precisely because to me it would have worked a little better if it had been shorter, like a movie, since it would have been more possible to forgive its flaws. The action becomes repetitive and tedious over the 1-cour and the dosification of convoluted plot twists make less sense because a more trained viewer will realize that the stuff in between is just padding and plot-serving, very artificial storytelling.

I definitely don't think AICO got away with it, although I guess some people would disagree with me, unfortunately.

I know it's not your conclusion, but who else than the person who posted it here should I quote and reply to when I disagree with it?

Sure there's good character driven movies, but do they also have a lot of action, plot twists, cool sci-fi concepts they explore and worldbuilding? I don't really see any 1,5-2 hour movie having enough time to be really satisfying on both ends so in my experience they either focus more on the characters OR try to have, well, anything else AICO had. At least if they're gonna be good at what they do they kinda have to focus on one thing because of time constraints. Sure, there are probably exceptions, but they're, well, exceptions. I don't think movies have the option of trying to to everything at once like longer series do. Heck, I'd even argue 1-cour 20 minute-per-episode shows can be limited in that regard, as we've seen in AICO failing to really succeed at any one of these aspects because they all seemed rushed or underdeveloped.

I'm trying to think of my favorite sci-fi movies to see if any of them spend a lot of time on introspectively developing the characters rather than developing the setting or having plot twists, cool revelations, action or whatever, but I'm not sure I can think of any. My favorite sci-fi movies are mostly stuff where I love the plot and cinematography and concepts, while my favorite sci-fi TV shows I mostly love for their characters (even if some also have cool plots). That can't be a coincidence, or am I just watching the wrong sci-fi movies?

Honestly one of the only more character-driven, introspective sci-fi movies I remember right now is Wall-E, and I don't know if that even qualifies as proper sci-fi ^^.
And I guess there's those generic robot-vs-loneliness setups that you get from time to time which usually are more character driven, but you know I find those uninspired. They sacrifice all these other things that make sci-fi movies fun to watch, because they know you have to focus on one or the other :P.
I probably regret this post by now.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.25: ded and forgotten

Botato - May 8, 2022

34 by ReaperCreeper »»
Apr 20, 8:08 PM

» If you could get every regular in the club to watch one anime of your choosing, what would you pick and why?

TripleSRank - Apr 8, 2017

45 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 2, 2023 5:02 AM

Sticky: » [Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Anime V. 5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ckan - Sep 19, 2014

3375 by DreamingGhost »»
Jun 2, 2023 4:11 AM

» Anime Thought of The Day..? V.24: ded but not forgotten ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Paulo27 - Mar 10, 2018

9992 by Botato »»
May 10, 2022 10:54 AM

Sticky: » An Important Announcement To Lurkers

Kokko - Mar 15, 2015

30 by LeonhartAugust »»
Dec 27, 2018 8:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.