Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A.I.C.O. Incarnation
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2018 4:34 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm actually surprised that no one else died. Both Aiko's is still alive, and I'm happy she's reunited with her family. I'm glad that Yura's mind was changed as the course of the show continued on. I wasn't expecting such development in this show. Although the initial episode wasn't that great, it picked up but then kinda was stale in the middle half due to going from one gate to another with basically the same tactics. I loved the finale episodes when they entered the final area as we got even more development with the characters. The little mascot, Gummi, was a nice addition of the show and a real bro. I find him cute throughout all the episode and I didn't even know he was protecting her with a miniature barrier until the final episode.

Overall, it was an enjoyable series. I thought it'd be worse than B: The Beginning, but that wasn't the case. 6-7/10.
TyrelMar 22, 2018 12:24 AM
Mar 9, 2018 4:42 AM

Apr 2015
Exceeded my low expectations. That was really enjoyable and much better than B the Beginning. Now can't wait for Sword Gai
Mar 9, 2018 11:41 AM

Nov 2016
A bit overdramatic,but it was an alright final.

Kinda surprised that everything went so well and we got a happy end.

Maybe I enjoyed this show more due to my low expectations,but it was a solid watch ,and the fact that I could marathon it during the day is also speaking for it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 9, 2018 12:47 PM

Oct 2014
That was lovely, perfectly adequete. I liked B a bit more, but this show’s simplistic story made the drama feel more deserved. I feel bad for expecting it to be subpar, it felt like they knew their limitations and didn’t try to go all out like B does.
Mar 9, 2018 8:14 PM

Jan 2017
Now that I've finished my Friday binge, I really liked AICO. I had no expectations going in, and it had kind of flown under my radar until yesterday getting the reminder about it premiering today. But I don't regret it at all. I say 8/10.

Mar 9, 2018 8:47 PM

Nov 2013
it's been at least 2 years since the last time i watched 1 anime in 1 day lol

it was quite interesting, and that was a very nice ending =D

i still don't like the matter part, but the "cloning" stuff was cool

did the 2nd Aiko just transfer to the same class? no way lol
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Mar 9, 2018 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
Finished this quite ago. It was quite mixed bag show but didn't liked that much and the storytelling didn't impress me since the main premise itself was too simple imo. Some plot twist were great and some were quite predictable and some was weird. I think it has some positives that B didn't had.

Mar 10, 2018 2:12 AM
Dec 2016
GUMMI THE REAL MVP
Mar 10, 2018 7:29 AM

Aug 2016
I thought Gummi was a useless creature to provide some level of cuteness. Turned out it also decide how the story ends. Without it, there wouldn't be 2nd Aiko.

How 2nd Aiko and Kanzaki live their life onward?
Also the real Aiko doesn't have previous body ability as her finger can bleed from being cut by a knife?

I'm glad both of them survived. I feel sorry for 2nd Aiko though for all she had through.

8/10
Mar 10, 2018 8:43 AM

Apr 2016
This was much better than I expected. I like the way everything's gone well. The development between characters has its high and lows, but in the end it was pretty good.

An 8/10.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 10, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2017
Wrapped up the ending nice and well. Without Gummi they wouldn't have reached this end. Ending might've been a lil too convenient but I'm satisfied, I don't think they could've ended it any better than this. They went for some epilogue scenes at the end which added some dramatic effect to what happened with the Matter and such. Showed us what everyone's been up to ever since. I'm just so happy for how this turned out.

With the duplicate Aiko at the end, I'm guessing she started her own life at a different school with the help of Yura. That or same school, idk. A lot of open ended type things amidst in the background but that's just for us to decide what happened. All in all, loved this, was worth the binge watch. I'm stuck for either a 8/10 or 9/10.
Mar 10, 2018 11:11 AM
Jun 2016
I don't know. From the beginning I couldn't emphatise for the characters and couldn't fully dive in to the story. For me this wasn't as good as I hoped. From my point of the other netflix anime had so much more to promise. So many scenes in this anime was forced and I didn't like that. So I gave 6/10 but I think even that may be a very good point for this show.
Mar 10, 2018 11:27 AM
Nov 2011
It was an OK anime, I even binged it. Not that I'm going to put it my top 10 list. As others have mentioned it's a bit too generic. Props for wrapping everything up and the visuals were quite good.

Characters were rather bland, especially Aico. Perhaps I can't relate because she's a cookiecutter character, the typical high school damsel in distress (though the romantic part is missing).
Mar 10, 2018 1:03 PM
Feb 2018
is dr. Yura aiko’s father? and if so, isn’t it weird that kanzaki has feeling for her? im so lost.
Mar 10, 2018 2:45 PM

Feb 2008
They did not skimp on animation. The story was nice. The ending was somewhat optimistic and too neat. If she had actually died, it would have made for a greater impact, but I suppose there is no reason why her body coudn't be reconstructed in such a manner. Still If Netflix continues to release HQ stuff like this, we should expect a great future ahead.
Mar 10, 2018 3:33 PM
Nov 2013
i just dong get it why fake Aiko dont get with real Aiko together. It was nice real Aiko give chance fake Aiko to meet with their mother and brother in the end but i dont know in her place i will want be with my mother and brother and i think they will understand. But maybe i am just crybaby.
Mar 10, 2018 6:32 PM

Jun 2014
This was definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I personally liked B: The Beginning more than this one (I can understand why some people might be the opposite, not everyone shares the same opinion). The start was pretty interesting, but it got pretty repetitive and a little boring in the middle when they kept doing basically the same thing every episode. It picked up more in the final episodes though so that was nice.

The happy ending wasn't too bad. It looks like some people would have liked a death to add impact but I guess the creators wanted to play it safe. Honestly though, I expected more deaths after Shino but I guess I was wrong. Overall, a pretty decent show, nothing too amazing (and I didn't really care much for most of the characters) but it was a solid and entertaining watch.
thebrentinator24Mar 10, 2018 6:35 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 11, 2018 1:22 AM

Jan 2015
Great finale, I really liked it
Almost cried when she said she had to change

9/10, finally something different from the rest
Mar 11, 2018 1:25 AM

Jan 2013
B; The Beginning still better.

But this anime surprised me, thought it was gonna be lame
Mar 11, 2018 4:14 AM

Jan 2013
for 12 episode this anime not so great without an est XD
Mar 11, 2018 7:40 AM
Jan 2012
lindatun said:
is dr. Yura aiko’s father? and if so, isn’t it weird that kanzaki has feeling for her? im so lost.

No. He was the one who performed the surgery on her.
Mar 11, 2018 7:43 AM
Jan 2012
David_PattCZ said:
i just dong get it why fake Aiko dont get with real Aiko together. It was nice real Aiko give chance fake Aiko to meet with their mother and brother in the end but i dont know in her place i will want be with my mother and brother and i think they will understand. But maybe i am just crybaby.

I think it has to do with other people's intention for the fake Aiko. Seems that the government and various organizations have other plans for her. Remember how the director said that they wanted to display the fake Aiko as a product to prove their technological advancement? If this happens, both the fake Aiko and the family will be troubled. So she has to stay away from the real Aiko and the family for some time until the heat has cooled down. In the end, she did say that she was looking forward to meet the real Aiko and the rest.
calvinloMar 11, 2018 7:46 AM
Mar 11, 2018 11:57 AM

Aug 2013
a predictable anime, I can tell every plot twist that will happen since half way through..
BUT
it was a nice run, I really enjoy it
Mar 11, 2018 12:35 PM

Aug 2014
This anime was a nice surprise, gotta love those happy endings
Mar 11, 2018 1:56 PM

Nov 2009
Nice anime. I binge-watched it all in one go.
It's somewhat confusing and could benefit from a few charts, though.

winddevil1 said:
did the 2nd Aiko just transfer to the same class? no way lol

The school looks different, the uniform looks different. I guess that's a different school.

lindatun said:

dr. Yura was not related to Aiko. Her father (who was his colleague) has died in a car crash and was not revived. Just getting Aiko to live was quite a medical miracle.

David_PattCZ said:

Looking on in from another viewpoint, AICO wants to become a separate person from Aiko. If they're going to live as twin sisters, this isn't going to happen.
Mar 11, 2018 4:07 PM

Mar 2018
A really nice ending to this anime. I give it a strong 7/10 overall.

Can anyone explain why Yuzuha regained consciousness when they disconnected her from her copies? If it was that simple why did they not do it before?
Mar 11, 2018 5:21 PM

Feb 2018
I think no one really knew except the dad until Yura met her at Primary Point.

My name is not Bai nor do I have a Big Wang!!
Mar 11, 2018 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
Overall I give this a 7/10.
Lacked a bit in originality. This show is so much like another anime called Xam'd Lost Memories. Despite this, it was a nice watch. The OST was really good, the animation is well done, the story was compitant. The characters I didn't really care for outside the two MC's and that dude that sacrificed his life (Forgot his name). Everyone was expecting this to be a train wreck because the series composer of this show literally has only made one good thing before this show.
Mar 11, 2018 9:58 PM

Aug 2012
Was Nice, the ending is Happy, and the Gummie intervention was a surprise. For me is a 8/10
Mar 11, 2018 11:24 PM
Sep 2014
Ok...ok... I get it all, but, why after the first surgery the Aiko that we watched all the anime had both Mind and Body replicated? The body was regenerating and couldnt been hurt and the mind had that code in the eyes that Aiko was full replic... So why da fuck after the second surgery Aiko could hurt herself with a Knife? That Aiko from the knife couldnt be hurted cause she had the first Aiko's body... What a confused anime
Mar 11, 2018 11:45 PM

Nov 2009
johncunha said:
Ok...ok... I get it all, but, why after the first surgery the Aiko that we watched all the anime had both Mind and Body replicated? The body was regenerating and couldnt been hurt and the mind had that code in the eyes that Aiko was full replic... So why da fuck after the second surgery Aiko could hurt herself with a Knife? That Aiko from the knife couldnt be hurted cause she had the first Aiko's body... What a confused anime

My guess is, the artificial brain provided its resilience to the entire body. Which is funny, because usually it's the other way around.

tokidoki921 said:
Can anyone explain why Yuzuha regained consciousness when they disconnected her from her copies? If it was that simple why did they not do it before?

Yuzuha regained consciousness around the time the anime has started. But the doctors didn't notice it, because she did not took control of her body.
It is not clear what her father knew about her connection to her clones, though. Or how that connection worked in the first place.
Mar 12, 2018 3:56 AM

Feb 2018
This episode was a nice wrap up for the series. Especially Gummi saving the Aiko clone. I was about to drop the series cause Aiko was really starting to get on my nerves. To me she was so self centered unlike others in anime that is in that same position. Overall would give it a 6. It wasn’t the best show ( personally I liked B better) but it is far from the worst I’ve ever watched.

My name is not Bai nor do I have a Big Wang!!
Mar 12, 2018 5:17 AM
Jun 2016
I don't know, the anime overall was fine but this ending was too happy for my taste ._. Suddenly Gummi can do all that out of nowhere, I think it would have more impact if they actually let her die XD
(I think I'm reading too much Berserk)
I was confused for most part too, I kinda felt the information was given too fast but anyway it's SciFi so I'm always there to watch o/
Mar 12, 2018 8:46 AM
Sep 2017
Happy endings 😭😭 Plus yuuya has aiko and that green suit guy also have aiko. Its a win win.

Mar 12, 2018 10:01 AM

Mar 2018
I just watched this for the second time, and I agree, excellent but kind of confusing. I like that it had a "happy" ending but that happiness was tempered by AICO being unable to live with (who she thought of as) her mother and brother - that part where she said "I have to go change" and walked away... wow...

I find it really curious that they drew attention to the real Aiko cutting her finger in the epilogue - I'm super puzzled about that. But, after re-watching the series, I have a new theory: The doctors were injecting Aiko with artificial organisms that formed the carbon nano-tubes, and this injection was secretly included in her "don't draw the matter" medicines that Yuya kept injecting her with as the show went on (presumably so she would continue to think she had the artificial body). So after the show, they stop the injections, and Aiko's body slowly goes back to normal. To add onto this, right after it is revealed that Aiko is the fake brain and real body, and they are discussing how she could have the carbon nano-tube skin, a scene is briefly shown of Isazu giving a dark-looking injection to whom we must presume is the original Aiko body. Then the anime cuts to Kurose saying "... and Isazu introducing that is what triggered the burst. I suspect even Isazu doesn't realize that".

Its just a theory, but there you go. I find myself trying to rationalize a lot of what happened in this show... very little explanation for what happens is actually given...
β™« γ‚„γ£γ¨θ¦‹γ€γ‘γŸηΉ”ε§«ζ§˜ γ γ‘γ©γ©γ“γ γ‚γ†ε½¦ζ˜Ÿζ§˜
γ“γ‚Œγ˜γ‚ƒγ²γ¨γ‚ŠγΌγ£γ‘ β™«

"Just like my arms... can never be soft and warm, like yours are"
Mar 12, 2018 10:08 AM

Mar 2018
Ankhmut said:
I don't know, the anime overall was fine but this ending was too happy for my taste ._. Suddenly Gummi can do all that out of nowhere

Gummi did protect Aiko on multiple occasions - often by surrounding her body. At the end, when Gummi protects Aiko as she is getting into the surgery capsule, it looks like the bubble that is Gummi kind of slips into the capsule... I think it ends up in there with her, and its reasonable to think it surrounded her brain in the matter as the matter died. The whole building a new body thing though... yeah that was pretty crazy :-P I was like "why didn't Yuya just build her a new body like that? Surely they had Aiko's "body data" on hand in the surgery center...? Plenty of puzzling stuff in this show -.-

Mar 12, 2018 12:09 PM

May 2017
It was quite an openning ending but it's very good. Both the 1st and the 2nd Aiko live happily unless the fact that the 2nd Aiko can't live with her mother and brother. I liked Kazuki's character and I hope he will be with her in the future.

I think the 2nd Aiko changed her last name as she separated from the 1st Aiko.

I really Liked this anime. It was nice and interesting. It is a 8/10 or 9/10 for me.
English is not my mother language.
Mar 12, 2018 8:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Surprisingly not bad. I didn't really like the shininess and the character designs when the PV came out, but I ended up enjoying the series. The most interesting theme in the story is basically kind of like the swamp man thought-experiment, although this theme was there and not explored. Or rather, it wasn't really a theme but just an idea incorporated into the story. The plot was straightforward, and the content wasn't deep, but it played out nicely and was entertaining.

It was surprising that I ended up sympathizing with AICO in the end, that I actually shed some tears in this episode. When oh-so-convenient (but cute) Gummi made a copy of AICO's body, I was like, "give me back my tears." BUT I ended up crying a bit more when AICO interacted with her "family" and left. I'm glad she's able to have her own life now though :)

Hm now for some things I'm left wondering about/missed when watching...why didn't Isazu just disconnect Yuzuha from the copies? :/ I get that he was the only who knew about this until the last 2 episodes, but why didn't it occur to him that he was the one keeping Yuzuha in a coma? If there's a legit reason as to why he wasn't smart enough to sever the connection, then I can be at peace with why Isazu is the villain of the story. Otherwise, it's a bit forced that such a dumb doctor/researcher who is supposed to be smart is the main reason that the team had such a tough time completing their mission.

Also Gummi lol. Such convenience.

Overall, I still enjoyed the series. It was a good watch ^^
Mar 12, 2018 10:52 PM

May 2014
This was much easier to follow than B (though it did get confusing at one point - regarding what would happen to Aiko when she's delivered to primary point) and had more character development. Granted B had more interesting ideas, but IMO 1-cour was not enough to put them to good use.

What I think would be great though is if they had an alternate setting in which the matter infested the entire world - and the story focuses on the lives of the divers and the survival of what's left of humanity.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Mar 13, 2018 8:58 AM

Apr 2013
This is soooo World Trigger, I love it. Would be nice to see a sequel but I doubt it. Maybe a single OVA. Or a video game?

Mar 13, 2018 2:51 PM

Feb 2011
A few questions go unanswered. I don't believe they explained how Isazu's daughter became comatose in the first place. I doubt it was intentional on the father's part. Among others questions, how can Aiko bleed at the end when her body was incapable of it in AICO's possession? What was the whole point of swapping heads [in the first place]? At this point, I feel like AICO's body and brain where suppose to revive Aiko's body and brain since she was deemed dead [before] arrival. AICO's brain sped up the body's healing while the Matter revived Aiko's brain from a brain dead state. The story didn't say it explicitly, but it seems to be the case.
ReloadMar 13, 2018 4:02 PM
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 13, 2018 3:07 PM
Apr 2016
Reload said:
A few questions go unanswered. I don't believe they explained how Isazu's daughter became comatose in the first place. I doubt it was intentional on the father's part. Among others questions, how can Aiko bleed at the end when her body was incapable of it in AICO's possession? What was the whole point of swapping heads? At this point, I feel like AICO's body and brain where suppose to revive Aiko's body and brain since she was deemed dead on arrival. AICO's brain sped up the body's healing while the Matter revived Aiko's brain from a brain dead state. The story didn't say it explicitly, but it seems to be the case.

Did you miss all three flashbacks when she is shown being buried under a snowfall while skiing with her father?
Aiko's re-stored body due to Gummi analyzing her constantly seems to be a perfect replica made from the Matter that died seconds later, without any composite material like the clone Aiko body. The only explanation I managed to believe in.
Re:formed
Mar 13, 2018 3:50 PM

Feb 2011
@Daniel_Naumov: I remember the flashback now that you mention it, but now I question how she became linked to the copies. As for Gummi, that only explains AICO getting her body back to its original state. AICO's body wasn't always matter after all. Aiko's body didn't need to be restored by Gummi since it's been in AICO's possession the whole time. I hope you understand the difference. It was stated that some of the body was replaced with fake parts to allow AICO's brain to accept the body, or something like that, so I find it hard to believe they were removed in the process. I guess it's just one of those anime that require a re-watch to fully understand.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Mar 13, 2018 7:03 PM

Nov 2009
This show really got there in the end, whilst the opening episodes are rather by the numbers I thought the 2nd half pays everything off really well and I had a great time. 8/10
Mar 13, 2018 7:12 PM

Sep 2016
A solid anime, nice animation from Bones and minimal CGI usage. Amazing OP and ED. 8/10 or 9/10
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 14, 2018 8:01 AM

Mar 2018
Reload said:
@Daniel_Naumov: I remember the flashback now that you mention it, but now I question how she became linked to the copies. As for Gummi, that only explains AICO getting her body back to its original state. AICO's body wasn't always matter after all. Aiko's body didn't need to be restored by Gummi since it's been in AICO's possession the whole time. I hope you understand the difference. It was stated that some of the body was replaced with fake parts to allow AICO's brain to accept the body, or something like that, so I find it hard to believe they were removed in the process. I guess it's just one of those anime that require a re-watch to fully understand.

Yeah I couldn't find any explanation as to why Isazu's daughter was connected to her clones, and had remained so from the burst till the start of the show. Would have been nice to have just a little exposition on that. And also why Isazu can control the matter. That whole thing came out of no where. And also Gummi creating a new body for AICO. They could have at least hinted that those things were possible before hand.

As for the bleeding finger, I posted up above what my theory is: injections that wore off.

Mar 14, 2018 8:16 AM

Oct 2008
This goes way beyond Sci-Fi!
both Aiko & Aico has saved and survived!
but this goes beyond regional beliefs since first: how can you create another you that has a conscience? did science created a soul? would that classify as taboo? so many complicated debates can start from this kind of topic that defies god's creation...lolz
5/5.

-Gummi is the salvation
matias067Mar 14, 2018 8:19 AM

Mar 14, 2018 11:55 AM

Feb 2011
@shazbotian: Now "injections that wore off" is an explanation I can accept. But it begs another question... Why does Yuya inject himself as well? He seems to have been in the exact opposite situation as AICO. Now that I think about it, he's in the same situation as Aiko, and his fake body didn't cause a Burst. I hope he's not a ticking time bomb. I suppose the difference is his fake body didn't have an AI brain being replaced. So it makes sense for Yuya to take the blame for the Burst since he attempted to do the impossible without notifying his piers.

Sorta explains why there were so many copies for Isazu's daughter, and not Aiko. However, it doesn't explain why he'd link them all to his daughter. All he needed was patients considering she would have woken up eventually by the looks of it. Guess he wanted to wake her up with his own hands. Well, all this is speculation since I refuse to rewatch it for clarification. Though clarification is a good reason to rewatch a series, it's also a huge waste of time. You either enjoyed it or you didn't. IMO, it's not enjoyable enough to rewatch. On the other hand, it's an anime I can recommend to others who like happy endings.
Mar 14, 2018 12:07 PM

Mar 2018
Well I think Yuya is actually giving himself the masking injection he tells AICO he is giving to her; I think he is just lying about the injection he is giving AICO... But then again, when AICO is in the hospital, she gets multiple injections, so... who knows. :-/

Yeah, I was wondering about why Yuya's body didn't trigger a "burst" and your explanation is a pretty good one. It seems Yuya was working on the AI brain before the Aiko body swap happened, so her case was kind of extraordinary.

Yeah still no explanation for Isazu's daughter's situation and her clones. :-/

What I did was only re-watch plot points and exposition; I skipped all the matter-fighting stuff my second watch through. So basically entirely skipped episodes 2-7... hehe ;)

Mar 15, 2018 12:17 AM

Jan 2008
matias067 said:
This goes way beyond Sci-Fi!
both Aiko & Aico has saved and survived!
but this goes beyond regional beliefs since first: how can you create another you that has a conscience? did science created a soul? would that classify as taboo? so many complicated debates can start from this kind of topic that defies god's creation...lolz
5/5.

-Gummi is the salvation

That's why it's sci-fi. Nothing that happened or what they did in this show is remotely possible, at least for the next 50 - 100 years. Some things will never be possible, like that mass thing since it defies the laws of nature.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 1 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

37 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 2 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

15 by 1uchan »»
Jul 25, 2023 7:54 PM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 6 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

9 by OgregO »»
Jul 24, 2023 3:35 PM

» The Dub is Garbage

demision - Apr 11, 2018

8 by sometaters »»
Dec 5, 2022 4:15 PM

Poll: » A.I.C.O.: Incarnation Episode 4 Discussion

Tyrel - Mar 9, 2018

9 by AzureAshida »»
Nov 5, 2022 2:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.