Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 12, 2021 6:27 AM

Aug 2011
I feel the artistic direction has been in favor of ChiTai to an extent. It will be interesting to see how Taichi's presence influences the next round. If the author wishes to further explore ChiTai, then I expect a more grounded approach of her benefiting from his presence at the most hopeless/crucial junction and later connecting the dots. Although, the execution will have to be the rather determining factor here as most fans will agree that the route is rather cliche.

If she wishes to go ahead with Chihaya x Arata, then again the next few chapters are crucial in my opinion. Taichi presently feels like his feelings are no longer the same but it can be argued that it is coloured by his rather hopeless disposition and an instinct of self preservation in the light of the rejection. He took it hard, no doubt, hence I don't think he's in any objective frame of mind to deduce his rather complex feelings regarding the same. Arata and Chihaya's dynamics in the forthcoming chapters may help him to reach a level of acceptance, as above all both boys are rooting for her happiness.

I'll argue the same in Arata's case.

Where Chihaya is concerned, well, the ball is in her court now. It's upto her to assess her feelings and come to a firm conclusion. And that includes every strong or complex emotion she ever felt.

Regardless, I'm personally leaning towards ChiTai.
kimioneApr 12, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 12, 2021 11:37 AM

Mar 2021
@zass494 Mah...i don't know. From what i saw(but it's my personal point of view) i sensed two different feeling from Chihaya. In the first half she is obviously infatuated with Arata. He introduced her to the world of karuta, and she see him as some sort of idol. She wrote her self in that letter after they didn't see each others from some time that for her he is a Karuta God. Someone who she really admire. And the distance between them in the first, and the fact that even after, they aren't able to meet each others, maybe condition some of the feelings that she share about him. He disappeared from her life suddenly when they were children, and even after, she feel him as someone almost unreachable, and it's a human characteristic to often desire something that you can't reach. He is also a kind person, so it's normal that she can likes him. And after he confess to her, she really begin to realize that she likes him a lot. In fact, when she "sorry" Taichi, in that moment she is thinkin about Arata confession. But then...from Taichi's confession to chapter 233, except that strange answer to Arata, it's seemed to me that she begin to realize that she is tied up with Taichi more that she has always thought. In an human way, almost intimate way. Intimate way doesn't mean always a passional love, but also a real and deep bond with a person. Bond, that it's not written in stone that in the end can't never transform in love. In that way the bond between Chihaya and Taichi is far more deep compared to that between Chihaya and Arata. More precisely, i've never seen a real bond between them, except from the passion of Karuta. And in the second half i saw that she in the first place realized this. She really miss Taichi, and suddenly Arata became to her almost a rival in karuta. When she play againts him in the team match, she is focused only on beat him. And even when they met before the matches, she tells to him " Today we will win". And even in that strange answer at the end of the tournament, she tells him that in that moment her feelings are that she want to be the best players in the world, almost as she said " One day i will become stronger than you. You, that even beat Shinobu in the final of class A". I didn't saw too much romantic tension in this moments. With this, i'm not going to say that suddenly the romantic tension has moved between Chihaya and Taichi. Or at least, not in a really passionate meaning, like the "adolescent" feelings that she has for Arata. But in the end, it's seemed to me that for her, the most important thing is not to lose Taichi. After he left the club, she can't accept that they will never meet again. And she said that she will wait for him, and meanwhile she will became the queen and transform the Misusawa into a powerhouse. Does she before thinkin' about a future with Arata ? What's up with this change now ? I don't know....i feel like that after Taichi left,her feeling about Arata turns out a big rezised, and changed. And usually,is in the second half of a story that all the knots comes to a head. And three are the moments that makes me feel that maybe she begin to understand something.
1 - When Taichi and Arata play the final title to play agains the Meijin, she is deeping cheering for Taichi. She was really shocked when he lost.
2 - And so, that makes me think that when she cried after Taichi wins the Chiha card againts Arata, that tears was of joy, and at the same time, when he lose she shared bitter tears.
3 - Just after this events, when she heard from Taichi that his feelings may begin to disappear, her face was not so happy. I mean, if you don't want to hurt a person you care, you should be happy hearing that this "obstacle" between you two may begin to disappear, instead of being almost disappointend. But we will never know what she'is really thinkin' in that moment untill the end i suppose.

That said, i'm not so sure how this odissey will end. And if i should put some money, maybe even now i will put it in an Arata - Chihaya ending. Maybe for superstition, because i ship Taichi - Chihaya. Or maybe because in the end, it's the most predictable end. But i repeat, i can see in the end even a picture where thanks to Arata she has grown thanks to a bond related on Karuta. Thanks to karuta, she ran a path that led her into a personal maturation, because she dedicated herself really hard in a big passion, and shared happy and sad moments with others. And thanks to Taichi, after a tortuous journey, and after feeling what's really mean for her to lose him, she in the end realize things that she never realized before, when he was only her best friend, so taken for granted, but only before he reveals that he always loved her. Maybe that confession really can transform a friendship in a different thing. I don't see an absurd thing in this. But one thing is sure. Suetsugu has now a really hot potato in her hands, and whatever the ending she is thinkin', it could cause a religion war ahahahahahah.
Lohr89Apr 12, 2021 11:42 AM
Apr 12, 2021 2:52 PM
Dec 2017
Lohr89 said:
@zass494 Mah...i don't know. From what i saw(but it's my personal point of view) i sensed two different feeling from Chihaya. In the first half she is obviously infatuated with Arata. He introduced her to the world of karuta, and she see him as some sort of idol. She wrote her self in that letter after they didn't see each others from some time that for her he is a Karuta God. Someone who she really admire. And the distance between them in the first, and the fact that even after, they aren't able to meet each others, maybe condition some of the feelings that she share about him. He disappeared from her life suddenly when they were children, and even after, she feel him as someone almost unreachable, and it's a human characteristic to often desire something that you can't reach. He is also a kind person, so it's normal that she can likes him. And after he confess to her, she really begin to realize that she likes him a lot. In fact, when she "sorry" Taichi, in that moment she is thinkin about Arata confession. But then...from Taichi's confession to chapter 233, except that strange answer to Arata, it's seemed to me that she begin to realize that she is tied up with Taichi more that she has always thought. In an human way, almost intimate way. Intimate way doesn't mean always a passional love, but also a real and deep bond with a person. Bond, that it's not written in stone that in the end can't never transform in love. In that way the bond between Chihaya and Taichi is far more deep compared to that between Chihaya and Arata. More precisely, i've never seen a real bond between them, except from the passion of Karuta. And in the second half i saw that she in the first place realized this. She really miss Taichi, and suddenly Arata became to her almost a rival in karuta. When she play againts him in the team match, she is focused only on beat him. And even when they met before the matches, she tells to him " Today we will win". And even in that strange answer at the end of the tournament, she tells him that in that moment her feelings are that she want to be the best players in the world, almost as she said " One day i will become stronger than you. You, that even beat Shinobu in the final of class A". I didn't saw too much romantic tension in this moments. With this, i'm not going to say that suddenly the romantic tension has moved between Chihaya and Taichi. Or at least, not in a really passionate meaning, like the "adolescent" feelings that she has for Arata. But in the end, it's seemed to me that for her, the most important thing is not to lose Taichi. After he left the club, she can't accept that they will never meet again. And she said that she will wait for him, and meanwhile she will became the queen and transform the Misusawa into a powerhouse. Does she before thinkin' about a future with Arata ? What's up with this change now ? I don't know....i feel like that after Taichi left,her feeling about Arata turns out a big rezised, and changed. And usually,is in the second half of a story that all the knots comes to a head. And three are the moments that makes me feel that maybe she begin to understand something.
1 - When Taichi and Arata play the final title to play agains the Meijin, she is deeping cheering for Taichi. She was really shocked when he lost.
2 - And so, that makes me think that when she cried after Taichi wins the Chiha card againts Arata, that tears was of joy, and at the same time, when he lose she shared bitter tears.
3 - Just after this events, when she heard from Taichi that his feelings may begin to disappear, her face was not so happy. I mean, if you don't want to hurt a person you care, you should be happy hearing that this "obstacle" between you two may begin to disappear, instead of being almost disappointend. But we will never know what she'is really thinkin' in that moment untill the end i suppose.

That said, i'm not so sure how this odissey will end. And if i should put some money, maybe even now i will put it in an Arata - Chihaya ending. Maybe for superstition, because i ship Taichi - Chihaya. Or maybe because in the end, it's the most predictable end. But i repeat, i can see in the end even a picture where thanks to Arata she has grown thanks to a bond related on Karuta. Thanks to karuta, she ran a path that led her into a personal maturation, because she dedicated herself really hard in a big passion, and shared happy and sad moments with others. And thanks to Taichi, after a tortuous journey, and after feeling what's really mean for her to lose him, she in the end realize things that she never realized before, when he was only her best friend, so taken for granted, but only before he reveals that he always loved her. Maybe that confession really can transform a friendship in a different thing. I don't see an absurd thing in this. But one thing is sure. Suetsugu has now a really hot potato in her hands, and whatever the ending she is thinkin', it could cause a religion war ahahahahahah.

Thanks for the passionate write-up!

I did not say that it was impossible for a TaiChiha ending to happen, just that it's much more unlikely compared to AraChiha. It is quite obvious that Arata and Chihaya have mutual feelings toward each other. One would have to go through a good deal of mental gymnastics to entertain the thought that Chihaya actually likes Taichi instead of Arata! Again, it's not impossible, but in order for a TaiChiha ending to happen, the author would have to pull an almost 180-degree turn from how the story has been constructed so far.
Apr 13, 2021 2:15 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think there is much gymnastics. She's coming to the realisation bit by bit what really is in her heart. It was beautifully written to see all the little steps Chihaya made in understanding what love is about. Love and passion for karuta are definitely 2 destinct things, whichi she probably didn't understand initially. She has had time to let things mature in her heart and head.

Ofcourse those fading feelings put her off track....

He's came now, so lets see.
Apr 13, 2021 10:25 AM

Mar 2021
@zass494 From what i saw untill now i don't think it requires a 180 degree turn out, because this turn out maybe slowly began after Taichi left the club. I have the sensation that after Taichi's confession, the mutual feelings that we have seen until that point between Arata and Chihaya , slowly changed from Chihaya perspective. It seems to me that is Arata that continues to have very romantic thoughts about Chihaya(it is so sweet the scene where he wants to hug her, and he trains in it hugging his parents). Otherwise Chihaya now has a lot of other things in her mind now, especcialy about her professional future.I really don't know how she could approach him now regarding love. It's been a lot time that i've never sensed too much romantic tension between them anymore, and as i said in other post, this is a precise choice of the author. And if you ask me, it's true that from the beginning to a certain point Chihaya has explicit feelings for Arata, but the relationship that Suetsugu focused the most it's clearly that between Chihaya and Taichi. Like a relation that requires many obstacles and developments to become something different in the end. The relation between Arata and Chihaya has always been flat, from the beginning until here. Arata in this manga is the fulcrum of the game of Karuta, and from a romantic point o view, sometimes i see him as an element that shakes the dynamics between Taichi and Chihaya .It's because of Arata that was near to "steal" Chihaya that Taichi, thanks to Oe and Sumire advices too, confess to her. And it's also because of him that he left Chihaya and the club, causing so many contrasting feelings in Chihaya. If you have seen Maison Ikkoku(if you dont', you have a lot of sins to atone ahahahaha), you will see a similar comparison in the role of Ibuki Yagami, that has a great part in shakes Kyoko's feelings. In the end i think that Arata will be the Meijin, realizing his purest dream, especcialy after his grandfather's death. I'm not so sure that Chihaya will win the Queen Title, and if you ask me, i prefer she doesn't, because i liked very strongly Shinobu's character. She, just like Arata, grown with Karuta from early times, and plus, she suffered too much being alone, and the cards were her only friends. I like very much the idea that in the end she will remain the strongest(Chihaya anyway still arrives to challenge her in the official title, so it's still a great journey for her). But if Arata will win the title and get the girl, is the only destiny of Taichi to be the defeated in all the things he really wants ? For me it will be too cynical and hard. Maybe in the end Arata realizes that Chihaya is confused, and that Taichi really loves her,and he doesn't want to hurt a friend. And he will get with Yuu, that finally confess to him. Ahahahah, ok here i am imaging things.
Apr 13, 2021 10:22 PM
Apr 2021
Good day everyone. I was reading this discussion and it intrigued me, so is there possibility that chihaya end up with arata or not? If chihaya end up with taichi then it's a big victory for those who ship these two, it doesn't mean arata will lose to it right? So far as i concern i think the percentage is 70 or 80 percent for taichexchihaya and 20 percent for arataxchihaya and that 20 percent is sinking but if the author makes arata shine like gold then there still chance for him. I'm not gonna throw my tantrum yet and if taichixchihiya ship succeed, i'm gonna jump in the tenth floor. Kurata is game a game that makes them enjoy and connect them together.
Purr-puffApr 13, 2021 10:28 PM
Apr 13, 2021 11:41 PM
Apr 2021
Well for me if you look closely enough from chapter 206 the relationship between the 3 of them. You can see Chihaya slowly change her mind towards Taichi and Arata. Ever since Taichi moves away from her we she alwyas longing for him more than Arata right now. Especially during the new year where Chiahya ask herself when is the time she have the most fun playing karuta, this reflected to her performance during queen championship right now where she always seek for Taichi whenever she need helps (even when Arata cheering for her she rememember of Taichi, and the disappointment when Taichi message Arata but not her). If you watch the spoiler 234 things finally shaping up for her to realize herself which one she's longing for.
That doesnt mean the end pairing is final, but the arrival of Yuu in the match will decide which relationship Will be leant towrads to. Since from what i see Taichi slowly letting go of his feeling towards Chihaya. One thing I know both Arata and Chihaya Will be the King and Queen according to the story Pace.
Apr 14, 2021 12:33 AM

Dec 2014
Seriously, there need another romance competitor in this love triangle, if Chihaya character development doesn't change, I feel that she really don't deserve either of them.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 14, 2021 1:19 AM
Apr 2021
Let's wait and see what will happened next 1 year or so. Let the author decide the ending.
Apr 14, 2021 2:36 AM

Oct 2012
The author is definitely the one who will decide. I think it really is worth while to seriously consider that Chihaya did reflect on everything that happened and came to certain realisations of her own feelings.

The final is playing off in 1 day and already Taichi and Chihaya have been crying both, several times. Both so obviously long and ache for eachother.

Arata is more worried about his own karuta and probably is having trouble with his thoughts about Taichi.

I can't wait to see how this continues. If it's a Taichihaya ending, it didn't come out of the blue.

It will be mindblowing to see how well Sensei set it up. I'm just waiting for it's genius to be confirmed.

This is the kind of story where you find stuff with every reread.

chiakimagotoApr 14, 2021 2:48 AM
Apr 14, 2021 3:41 AM
Apr 2018
Purr-puff said:
Good day everyone. I was reading this discussion and it intrigued me, so is there possibility that chihaya end up with arata or not? If chihaya end up with taichi then it's a big victory for those who ship these two, it doesn't mean arata will lose to it right? So far as i concern i think the percentage is 70 or 80 percent for taichexchihaya and 20 percent for arataxchihaya and that 20 percent is sinking but if the author makes arata shine like gold then there still chance for him. I'm not gonna throw my tantrum yet and if taichixchihiya ship succeed, i'm gonna jump in the tenth floor. Kurata is game a game that makes them enjoy and connect them together.

I dont know how you got the 70-80 percent to 20 percent and that its sinking. where in the entire storyline if chihaya has shown even a glimmer of romantic sight its been on Arata, right from before and after the point of confession, to chapter 173 where she only remembers arata confession from desktomu and kana's confession scene indirectly asking him to wait for her answer, the scene where she says she longs to walk beside him and go to fujis lofty peak together. We have seen her reactions at times when she sees Arata and shinobu together, she's holding it in. The feelings are still strong i believe.
We even saw Arata instead of picking up the karuta cards, he picked up Chihaya first and took her inside when she was broken down, he's getting to know her even better now on able to be there for her when she needs it and chihaya also mutually supporting him back. The development is getting there slowly but surely, Arata is being given his time which was missing so lets wait patiently and see whats in store. Nothing is set in stone or easy to assume. In the end we just want all the three to be happy.
I believe the author will do justice to the story and to the characters.
Apr 14, 2021 6:54 AM

Mar 2020
I think Chihaya has romantic feelings for both men as well. The love she displays for two men is also mutual. I think, Chihaya loves the same way Taichi and Arata love her.
Only the level of love she felt for the two is completely different. What is love? The love that Chihaya must learn is what is hidden in the red leaves lying in her own poetry.

Chihaya didn't even know what "boyfriend" meant yet. Remember an episode "what's boyfriend?" she was asking herself on the train.
This is one of the greatest proofs of Chihaya's ignorance of love.

There are still questions for which only she can find the answer.

What's my full strength?
When did I have the most fun playing Karuta?
What should I ask Taichi?

tsuku13Apr 14, 2021 6:59 AM
Apr 14, 2021 7:03 PM

Feb 2011
Kipo0007 said:

I dont know how you got the 70-80 percent to 20 percent and that its sinking. where in the entire storyline if chihaya has shown even a glimmer of romantic sight its been on Arata, right from before and after the point of confession, to chapter 173 where she only remembers arata confession from desktomu and kana's confession scene indirectly asking him to wait for her answer, the scene where she says she longs to walk beside him and go to fujis lofty peak together. We have seen her reactions at times when she sees Arata and shinobu together, she's holding it in. The feelings are still strong i believe.
We even saw Arata instead of picking up the karuta cards, he picked up Chihaya first and took her inside when she was broken down, he's getting to know her even better now on able to be there for her when she needs it and chihaya also mutually supporting him back. The development is getting there slowly but surely, Arata is being given his time which was missing so lets wait patiently and see whats in store. Nothing is set in stone or easy to assume. In the end we just want all the three to be happy.

After all that long wait, I'm certain Chihaya will give Arata a positive response when she's ready: right now she's holding back her feelings by fully focusing on the tournament: both Chihaya and Arata are continuing to visualize the same future: like she said in ch 93 until she gets stronger in karuta she doesn't deserve to sit across the person she likes and even the recent reactions from Chihaya herself, her actions connects what she said that day, that didn't change even now: even Arata wants to see himself worthy of embracing her: they both want to accomplish something they both love, they both share the same goals, ideas, and mindset about the future, they both see the world with the same eyes: and commitment that just waits them welling to spend their lives together when Arata said: let's play karuta together then" during his love confession as "let's spend our lives together" not only that, they understand their efforts, compromise, and sacrifice involved they both are going through by never giving up: they always have each other's support through their toughest times which is important for two people in love: that will create their bond affections even stronger.

I'm positive Chihaya is taking this seriously, especially what happened in ch 173 is our proof by indirect asking Arata to wait for her answer ( she's going to say what she truly feels for Arata very soon, especially now the story is getting much closer towards its end).
Apr 14, 2021 11:31 PM
Apr 2021
Hehehe...i was reading this manga 2 years and i'm behind schedule, if i remember correctly i was in chapter 100. Kipo0007 it's just a calculation of mine, so nothing to it. A lot of taichixchihaya shippers coming out of the box.
Apr 15, 2021 4:17 AM

Oct 2012
We should not forget that this last arc is playing out in 1 day.

The day that begun with Chihaya changing into hakama and walking up to the shrine before the finals. Her imagining Taichi praying on the other side. Probably looking for support to have courage to play that important final.

The stories foundation has been laid out. This last day is the time of revelation, like the cream on a cake. It will all start to fall in place;

If ever there is a timeskip, it would most likely be like the cherry on top of the cake, cute, and tasty but not indispensable. It would be the wrap up of this story, who's major plot is completed. Something heartwarming but not surprising for the main plot. No major development seems to be reasonable in that cherry....

So here we are, at the day of revelation. The day that Chihaya is playing her most important match and we are seeing her reveal bit by bit her inner feelings, her conclusions of what had been build up all these years, through happiness, tears, hardwork and pain.

If Chihaya is really so in love with Arata, and knows him that well, why is she thinking that much about another boy?

If you have ever been deeply in love, you will surely know this isn't really possible.
Or she isn't in love with either and is still in the air about her feelings, or she has made her choice. When you are in a tight spot, the person that comes to mind is most likely that one special person.

If Arata really was that one special person, she wouldn't need to think about Taichi.

The other things that are being exposed in this last day is that Arata is having his own doubts about really knowing Chihaya as well as he thought. Her behaviour is making him question himself.

Arata is her dear friend but it's evident that he just wasn't the one that was always there for her. The events in this 1 day are unlikely to weigh as heavy as months and years of complicity and making bonds.

What is love about? How does Sensei see what real love and a good relationship is made of?

Going through thick and thin together? Wanting the other to smile, being greedy to have that person smile? Harada and his wife come to mind: "I don't care about you having the Meijin title, I just want you to smile". Inokuma and her supportive husband come to mind, Kurzuryuu.

It's starting to be really exciting! Chihaya's memories, which ones will carry her? Which are her most happy moments? When was she playing karuta at her best? When did she have most fun?

As for Chiha, both boys have an important role, a role of passion and a role of love.........only one represents the hidden love in this story, a love that can't be forgotten, an unwavering love. Once Chihaya understands which one that is, her poem will guide her.

What a story!!!
chiakimagotoApr 15, 2021 6:34 AM
Apr 15, 2021 12:09 PM
Apr 2018
Purr-puff said:
Hehehe...i was reading this manga 2 years and i'm behind schedule, if i remember correctly i was in chapter 100. Kipo0007 it's just a calculation of mine, so nothing to it. A lot of taichixchihaya shippers coming out of the box.

I see, hopefully you are caught up with the manga now and see that its not the case really what you were thinking. There is still time for the story to pan out and things coming into place. Just need to be patient and enjoy the story in the meantime.
Apr 15, 2021 12:25 PM
Apr 2018
sweetangie said:
Kipo0007 said:

After all that long wait, I'm certain Chihaya will give Arata a positive response when she's ready: right now she's holding back her feelings by fully focusing on the tournament: both Chihaya and Arata are continuing to visualize the same future: like she said in ch 93 until she gets stronger in karuta she doesn't deserve to sit across the person she likes and even the recent reactions from Chihaya herself, her actions connects what she said that day, that didn't change even now: even Arata wants to see himself worthy of embracing her: they both want to accomplish something they both love, they both share the same goals, ideas, and mindset about the future, they both see the world with the same eyes: and commitment that just waits them welling to spend their lives together when Arata said: let's play karuta together then" during his love confession as "let's spend our lives together" not only that, they understand their efforts, compromise, and sacrifice involved they both are going through by never giving up: they always have each other's support through their toughest times which is important for two people in love: that will create their bond affections even stronger.

I'm positive Chihaya is taking this seriously, especially what happened in ch 173 is our proof by indirect asking Arata to wait for her answer ( she's going to say what she truly feels for Arata very soon, especially now the story is getting much closer towards its end).

I know right. Arata didnt even want to rush her for a response and calmly eased the pressure on her by taking in all she said during chapter 173 and responding in the best way he could have. I love the fact even with the little time they get with each other, their mutual understanding is so strong and given time it continues to grow stronger. Especially them both supporting each other even on the biggest stages in the latest chapters and knowing more about each other, their weaknesses and strength, what they have gone/going through.

That feeling she has to be beside him and walk together, it still strong and hasn't changed, also arata wanting to be someone worthy of holding her, those are some really beautiful viewpoints from their perspectives, though i personally think being worthy to be next to each other is not a necessity as long as there is love and respect for each other, which i am sure they have but regardless its sweet to watch.

So yea i am gonna keep that positive notion like you said and wait for the moment when it will be much clearer (which we have seen most of the times during the story) in the final moments of this series .Its gonna be worthwhile either ways, just want our boy to be happy.
Apr 16, 2021 11:04 PM
Apr 2021
My heart and patient wearing thin, i can't wait the ending. I hope i can predict the future ahead and i need doreamon right now. Hehehe
Apr 18, 2021 3:43 PM
May 2020
oooo we are in 2021 now and idk nothing abaut the manga but can anybody tell me how the story in the manga is going ( im searcjing in the internet but no luck nothing new comes out ) (oh and i won't read the manga so dont just say read it youself plz) or of it's even finished and the ship is alredy decided. i kow im suoer late ( like 3/y late ) but if somebody could respond i'd be rlly happy
Anime_jeetflyy57Apr 18, 2021 3:56 PM
Apr 19, 2021 2:57 AM
Apr 2021
Anime_jeetflyy57 said:
oooo we are in 2021 now and idk nothing abaut the manga but can anybody tell me how the story in the manga is going ( im searcjing in the internet but no luck nothing new comes out ) (oh and i won't read the manga so dont just say read it youself plz) or of it's even finished and the ship is alredy decided. i kow im suoer late ( like 3/y late ) but if somebody could respond i'd be rlly happy

Chihaya heart dancing with the arrival of a certain boy and she slowly realize something about love and passion. From chapter 234
Apr 19, 2021 6:52 AM
Apr 2018
Purr-puff said:
My heart and patient wearing thin, i can't wait the ending. I hope i can predict the future ahead and i need doreamon right now. Hehehe

You are not the only one. Almost everyone reading the manga has been anxiously been waiting for years and no one has a doraemon to predict anything xD
Apr 19, 2021 6:58 AM
Apr 2018
Anime_jeetflyy57 said:

Nothing is decided with anything nor the manga has ended its still ongoing with its ups and downs, currently Arata and chihaya are fighting for the Meijin and queen title together and its going good that's all i can say . So if you are not gonna bother reading the manga then might as well no point in this because everyone is going to give you their personal viewpoint and input regarding the story, rather read it yourself and analyze it if you are interested in it tbh.
Apr 19, 2021 8:09 AM
Jun 2019
well Chihaya is not a trpohy after all, if she doesnt end up with Arata then so be it. Suegetsu sensei always write a good plot, if you ever read Eden no Hana you would definitely know everyone will get a good ending.
Apr 19, 2021 9:01 AM
Apr 2018
Arata never thought of her as a trophy or competed for her in that perspective.. As for Eden no hana, we all know how much trouble suegutsu sensei got in for that. So hopefully this doesn't go that away.
Apr 19, 2021 9:12 AM

Oct 2012
Banadgher said:
Anime_jeetflyy57 said:

Chihaya heart dancing with the arrival of a certain boy and she slowly realize something about love and passion. From chapter 234

Seems like something nice is going on in 234!!! I want to see the exact take on it by the translator, but looks like alot of Japanese fans saw something special.

The poems!

My heart!!!!!
chiakimagotoApr 19, 2021 9:16 AM
Apr 19, 2021 10:38 AM
Apr 2021
Kipo0007 said:
Arata never thought of her as a trophy or competed for her in that perspective.. As for Eden no hana, we all know how much trouble suegutsu sensei got in for that. So hopefully this doesn't go that away.

There will always be people dissatisfied with how the story will envelope and especially how Suegetsu sensei draw the ending. Either way Chihaya ends up with anybody doesnt really matter to me, i always cheers for these three characters development and their friendship.

Just don't take it too hard if the boy you sought doesnt end up with Chihaya,just like other Arata's fan said Chihaya isnt a trophy and she is free to choose her love no matter how other people feel towards her even it means she choose the other boy or not choose between them at all.
Apr 19, 2021 11:16 AM
Apr 2018
Banadgher said:
Kipo0007 said:

There will always be people dissatisfied with how the story will envelope and especially how Suegetsu sensei draw the ending. Either way Chihaya ends up with anybody doesnt really matter to me, i always cheers for these three characters development and their friendship.

Just don't take it too hard if the boy you sought doesnt end up with Chihaya,just like other Arata's fan said Chihaya isnt a trophy and she is free to choose her love no matter how other people feel towards her even it means she choose the other boy or not choose between them at all.

That's a given, there will be people/fanbase who will be dissatisfied or complain no matter what the end game we have towards the end of the show. I have been following this series for over 7 years now and while i do have my shipping interests i pretty much stopped focusing real hard on the romance aspect and more towards the actual story because mainly the development and happiness of the characters matters most. Both Arata and taichi deserve to be happy no matter in what way, chihaya is free to choose her path and achieve her dreams. The story and other characters also are so enjoyable and interesting, so i am looking forward to see the overall ending and progress in the story as well including the three. You could say i am pretty much prepared.

So yea suetsugu sensei has quite a task on her hand but i believe she will be able to deliver some satisfying conclusion for us.
Apr 19, 2021 11:54 PM
Apr 2021
love can wait and so destiny can wait.
Apr 20, 2021 6:47 AM

Sep 2012
sweetangie said:

I really love your line about Chihaya taking this seriously. We all know (and it's been confirmed) that romance is secondary for her character so Chihaya still not giving Arata a proper response just shows me that his confession is something she'll answer when she feels ready to do so-and Arata having no problem waiting and giving her all the time she needs is also a big flag (after all, Suetsugu confirmed it herself that Chihaya isn't a character that will give an answer just because she has to). Had Chihaya not felt anything special for Arata then I really do believe she would have told him this back in 173 instead of going "not exactly a reply, but more like how I feel right now". Despite what I've seen some readers say about her character, I find Chihaya to be an open book because she's not very good at keeping her emotions in check-it all spills out, it all appears on her face. Her sadness, her happiness, her frustration, whenever romance is on her mind (and we all know who those thoughts have always been aimed towards). We've also already witnessed her reject someone on the spot so there is a level of understanding on her end-she knew that rejecting Taichi was something she had to do. While one could argue that she doesn't fully understand romance/romantic love due to inexperience, I don't think we should downplay how she immediately reacts to both of the confessions. I've seen "Chihaya isn't ready for a relationship" many times over the years, and it's telling how only one of the boys is still waiting for the proper response-almost as if Suetsugu knows that Chihaya will give Arata a positive response and their relationship will blossom only once she's ready to start dating (which I believe will still take some time, perhaps a timeskip once Arata moves to Tokyo). They aren't able to see each other much, but I appreciate how Arata and Chihaya manage to be on the same wavelength when it comes to the important things. He knows their first dream takes priority and respects that completely. I'm not sure if any other reader noticed this-maybe I've mentioned it before, but did you notice how two other relationships in the manga also had one party want to achieve a goal before confessing/accepting feelings? In the datebook, there's an extra with Rion x Makoto and she tells him she wants (or wanted) to focus on exams before giving him an answer to his confession. The other is Kana x Tsutomu-he didn't want to confess until he achieved an academic goal of his (maybe you'll remember the chapter and whether this came before or after his "sun and moon" line though I believe it came after). Arata and Chihaya aren't the only ship that put a goal before their relationship! Despite being all for an Arata x Chihaya ending, I still don't believe a trio friendship ending is completely out of the equation. I really do feel it's a possible end since the trio is so important to Suetsugu.
possession1981Apr 20, 2021 8:14 AM
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
Apr 27, 2021 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Any romance ending that is not in the form of a flash-forward will just come as out-of-character for Chihaya. I hope it will be an open ending. Many people here agree that Taichi is quite hopeless in the romance section, but Arata is too. I'll just explain the Arata bit here since there are already many Taichi discussions here.

Chihaya likes Arata. That is true. She said it herself, about 140 chapters ago. "I'll always like karuta and Arata.". That doesn't have to mean she wants to date him. Had dating been the objection of Chihayafuru, Suetsugu would have suited Chihaya as more a romance lead earlier, she did not. The biggest problem about Arata and Chihaya relationship is how little they've interacted-- for 234 chapters. It's not that I cannot process that two people can be in a relationship because they focus on the same thing and have the same goal, but they have little, to almost nothing connection without karuta. Arata was there physically with her for only around 8 chapters? in the beginning-- they were 12 years olds. He was her close friend-- best friend, probably, along with Taichi. He introduced her to the thing that later becomes one of her dreams-- ONE, not all of her dreams. You see, Arata would have been an obvious endgame had Chihayafuru ended wthin 100 chapters. It didn't. Arata is the best person to support her dream of being the queen, and I agree with that. Taichi does not think of being a meijin as a goal for himself, so he doesn't relate to it as much as Arata does. That was her first dream, and he introduced that to her.

Later on, though, what does he know about her other than that? Not yet the things other than karuta, he doesn't know her dreams that is not being a queen. Third nationals arc, she puts "making Mizusawa a karuta powerhouse" a longer term goal than being a queen. In Nishida's words, "Ayase thinks making Mizusawa a karuta powerhouse is harder than winning against Wakamiya Shinobu". Her goal is no longer only being a queen-- she thinks that making a powerhouse is way a tougher job than being a queen, and this is not a headcanon, it's canon as pointed in the manga.

Making Mizusawa a karuta powerhouse is still in the karuta scope, yet Arata knows nothing of it. When you compare it, no need to Taichi, but to other Mizusawa members, even the first years that just appeared starting chapter 139-ish, Arata knows nothing of her NOW. He doesn't know her dream of being a teacher-- that she wants to become a teacher to be the karuta club supervisor. They barely talk about anything at all. Even about karuta, all their encounters after 6th grade is just 5 minutes break between or after matches. Have they ever sat down talking about anything other than karuta for more that 5 minutes? Again: having the same goal and passion is enough to be the foundation of a relationship, but they can't work if that is the only thing they know about each other. Chihaya struggling with her grades and the queen match was one of a major subplot for her pre-queen match arc, and he knows nothing of it. Arata and Chihaya can happen, but as a flashforward-- if it happens in the manga as a plot there are so many things to be done. Chihaya needs to talk to him about anything more than just their "good luck"s or some basic karuta discussions. Why can't she talk to him, anyway? They don't contact each other, either. They did the texting in recent chapters, but I only remember that one time she and Arata exchanged "good luck"s and new year celebrations before the meijin/queen matches. Their relationship was never equal before Chihaya won against him. Chihaya said it herself, "did I really win against the boy I regarded as a god?". She always acted like he was somehow 80 worlds better than her. Is that a romantic attraction when she puts it like that?

And the most obvious one. Her forgetting his confession. It lasted for about 2 chapters, her flashing back and said she would burn up if she met him, then the regional tournament came up and she mentioned nothing of it at all. How is it possible? The guy she supposedly likes confessed to her and she forgot? No, she is not "saving the answer". She forgot. It's when Kana-chan said "I thought I would turn into seaweed salt from waiting" that she remembered someone was waiting for her answer. Arata confessed around November-December, yet the national tournament was around July. How is it possible that you forget that your crush confessed to you for almost 8 months? "She wants to become queen first" is valid, but the girl just straight up forgot about it. She didn't make it her secondary priority or anything, she forgot. Which is weird considering how her main drive in the first 50 chapters-ish was to meet Arata again. Now she met him, he confessed to her, and she forgot? Having another primary priority does not mean she would forget everything other than that, no?

Also his response to her asking him to wait. "I lost to a girl I like in karuta". Because that's their whole relationship summarized. Karuta. Nothing other. The Mizusawa guys know much more of her as a person than Arata does. Maybe he did know her more than karuta--in grade school. I hate to say it, but even Sudou has that connection with her, no? Other than giving dreams part. Sudou, too, trained with her for the meijin/queen qualifier. Arata and Chihaya have not trained together since the age of 12, so even in karuta other than sharing the same goal and passion they don't have that connection anymore anyway.

Personally, I think both of the guys deserve to be happy even without Chihaya. It's not like Chihaya needs a romance partner either, her storyline is complete without dating anyone. Also, you guys need to stop with the "Arata needs to be with her because he gave her dreams" and "Taichi needs to be with her because he's always been there for her" and the variations. If there's a campus life arc (therefore dragging the manga for about 100 more chapters) then it's possible for her to have romance as a bigger subplot, or for a flash forward.

Speaking of, I hope Chihaya won't win against Shinobu in her first queen match try. Shinobu is supposed to be OP-- the youngest to be queen, also an eternal queen at that too (if not mistaken, eternal queen is for three or more times defending queen title right?). I can foresee Arata winning against Suou since he's also supposed to be OP, but not Chihaya. Maybe in the next try, she can be. Winning first try against the girl she lost big time just 2 years ago is a bit too unrealistic.

The manga was supposed to be under 100 chapters (I'm guessing, since Suetsugu said it was a pleasant surprise that it reached chapter 100, or some sort) so probably many things have changed. It's supposed to be near the end of the manga, too, so it's pretty much impossible for Chihaya to be a romance lead and have a romance vision.

Sorry for the long rant. I still think Chihayafuru is a good sport/friendship manga despite all my objections in the romance development area, though.
Apr 27, 2021 9:18 PM
Apr 2021
Zass494 said:
Lohr89 said:

Thanks for the passionate write-up!

I did not say that it was impossible for a TaiChiha ending to happen, just that it's much more unlikely compared to AraChiha. It is quite obvious that Arata and Chihaya have mutual feelings toward each other. One would have to go through a good deal of mental gymnastics to entertain the thought that Chihaya actually likes Taichi instead of Arata! Again, it's not impossible, but in order for a TaiChiha ending to happen, the author would have to pull an almost 180-degree turn from how the story has been constructed so far.

I don't think Suegetsu sensei need a 180 degree turn or any controversial reason for one of the two pairings for sailing. A fragment of love between these 3 already laid out by Suegetsu Sensei from the start in the story, it just most fanbase doesnt see it clearly or refuse to acknowledge it. Also there are already another love contender for each boys, how the ending shaping up we will see how the other childhood next-door friend coming to support her friend. See for ourself how our FMC react to it or realizing her feeling to her oldest companion from childhood.
Apr 30, 2021 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know if the discussion is still on-going but I want to leave a little piece of my mind on this too. I've been following this series for years, the most of them I was rooting for one of the boys in their love story. The early years I was rooting for Arata, the next years for Taichi. I love both of them, but then I realized it doesn't translate to having to cheer one of them in the matters of their relationship with Chihaya.

Arata was introduced first, and it was easy to like him, but then after he moved away he appeared only several times, and most of them are his alone time, communicating with Chihaya/Taichi only through mails/calls or the fast breaks before, between, and after matches. There weren't many things about him for the first 100 chapters other than him getting back to karuta, stronger than ever. Taichi was introduced after, being Chihaya's friend for some time before Arata's arrival (which, in the first light novel, was mentioned that he was friends with her because they were classmate since third grade). Close enough to call each other by first name, apparently, and her knowing his and his mother's relationship. He was rude and annoying and a bully too, for two chapters, and somehow made up with Arata and therefore it made the trio a trio. That ended the elementary school arc when they parted ways, promising to keep playing karuta (though I feel this was more Arata-Chihaya based, Taichi just going along with it).

The high school arc is the one that changed the trio narration the most. For Arata, this lead to him cutting his communication with Chihaya/Taichi, for Taichi, his overprotectiveness over Chihaya turned romantic. Chihaya was obsessed with Arata-- in elementary school she admired him a lot because he introduced her to karuta but in high school it felt like an obsession when she found out Arata had quit. She had to get him back, which was a bit forceful if I think about it. But Chihaya's personality was *indeed* forceful to other people, saying what she thinks without filtering (in Chitose's words), so I'm not too shocked. One thing I should point out though, when I read the manga. Chihaya's relationships (platonic or romantic) with both boys aren't very healthy. Not so bad that it's toxic, but still to some levels unhealthy. Chihaya admires Arata a bit too obsessively, to the point she thinks his karuta is godly, that when he stopped playing it he was someone unknown to her, and she felt like she had to get the karuta-playing Arata back at all cost. What is Arata to Chihaya, when his karuta taken away? Chihaya doesn't take people going away really good-- not always rejections, but in general the things that she doesn't want to happen. Arata quit karuta? Why? It wasn't supposed to happen. Taichi had a girlfriend? Why? She didn't take into consideration the fact that they were growing up at many times. She didn't take people changing really well. I think someone pointed this out already, but Chihaya/Arata relationship was so centred on Arata being the karuta god for her, fitting for the name Chihayafuru. There haven't been moments where Chihaya thinks of Arata's world outside karuta, or Arata thinks of Chihaya's world outside karuta. On one hand expected, karuta lovers. But on the other hand, it's kind of ironical. Six years being friends, does Chihaya know he interacts with his school friends? Why he wants to move to Tokyo other than karuta, what college and what will he study? Does Arata know her struggling to balance out school and the Queen tournament, that she wants to be a teacher? Meanwhile her relationship with Taichi is consisted of her having almost no personal space with Taichi and Taichi taking care of her, almost obsessively. No personal space-- for example: Chihaya suddenly hugging him just some chapters after they reunited in public, her wanting to go to his room without asking him, her going to his house without tellin him, her getting into the wrong hotel room, Taichi's room, and instead of leaving she slept next to him sleeping. Taichi cancelling many of his plans for her, especially in the beginning. Walked home with her before meeting his girlfriend, watching her class B tournament, going to Fukui because "you can't even board a train alone". Younger me thought this was cute, but now I think even though it's mostly harmless, it's obsessive from both side. Especially considering Taichi had feelings for her. Both of her relationship with the boys were harmlessly unhealthy (if that is even a phrase).

Both the boys have a comfortable-not-comfortable relationship with each other. Both had seen each other as an obstacle, in karuta and in having feelings with Chihaya, though in both, Arata was better in karuta and Chihaya mentioned she liked him (though both the boys didn't know, Taichi knowing it from her gestures but Arata being far away couldn't really see how much she thought of him). Arata still felt like Taichi was an "obstacle", despite being better at karuta and being liked by Chihaya, because Taichi was getting better at karuta so quickly after getting to class A (considering Taichi was mostly better than Arata at doing other things, while Arata only had karuta), and the fact that Taichi was never separated from Chihaya (another reference to light novel, though it's not purely canon, Suetsugu did give ideas and directions for the light novels: Taichi and Chihaya kept contact until seventh grade until he quit karuta, but this isn't very important, just a trivia). There were more inferiority and jealousy from Taichi. Some counters to Arata seeing Taichi as an obstacle: when Chihaya was playing Taichi in the Yoshino final, when he was playing against Taichi in the East-West representatives. The Yoshino final brought Arata to say "I thought Chihaya belongs to you. but in truth she doesn't belong to anyone.", where Taichi in his head thinking that Chihaya belonged to both of them, him or Arata didn't matter. This was why Arata was the "better" man for her, because he didn't think of her as his--until the next revelation comes. Arata didn't say it only because he thought she was her own person, but partly because he was frustated? Jealous? That Taichi was the one playing against Chihaya and not him. It was a spur-of-moment kind of thing for him, and he regretted it ("Why did I say such thing to Taichi? Both Taichi and Chihaya are my friends."). For Taichi there were more times he was being sneaky about this. Him saying Arata's a rival in a low voice, him thinking he didn't like the "Chihaya who's thinking about Arata", him telling Arata in his mind to "stop pretending to be a good boy, I see you as an obstacle". He was sneaky about this-- either saying it in a low voice or just having thoughts about it that in the end he didn't say. This all was resolved when Arata won the East-West representatives, they hugged and cried, Taichi cheering for him and wanting him to win the Meijin matches.

Arata with her, though, is healthier. This may or may not be related to how little they've interacted, though. She put him on a pedestal, a karuta player so good he's unreachable, and he kept his thoughts to himself mostly too. He respected her boundaries-- not hugging her when he wanted to, instead just shook her hand and hugged his family after, praising her being pretty in hakama, etc etc. This also may or may not be related to how it's been long since they were close and he didn't think they were close enough to be hugging and all. Arata has not had many chances to get to know her better, the her now. He was her drive for pretty much everything related to karuta, but ironically he doesn't know her much now. If the manga somehow continues, I'd want to see the side of Chihaya/Arata who aren't talking about karuta. There are many other couples in this manga who put goal first than relationship, like Kana-chan and Komano, but Kana-chan and Komano were good close teammates. They interacted. They share the same goal, and interacted, and knew many things about each other, so it was able to work. Someone mentioned this, too, them having the same goal is a foundation to relationship but it can't work when they don't know each other outside that common goal that they have. Their whole relationship is loving karuta, which is fitting for them, but feels somehow like a work partner ("He's good so I have to be good too").

Taichi's relationship with her is a bit more complicated to explain, mostly because Taichi was almost always there everytime Chihaya was there in the chapters prior to his leave. It can be summarized to one word though: codependency. The whole relationship is just Taichi taking care of Chihaya, one-sidedly in an unrequited relationship. He assumed Chihaya would "choose" Arata everytime, in everything. In karuta, in romance, as a friend, as a teammate. Which is wrong. Might be wrong on this, but between Taichi and Arata, Chihaya feels more comfortable as friends with Taichi. She only met Arata once in, say, 30 chapters anyway, so she wanted to keep every moment memorable and heart-throbbing. Taichi was there everytime anyway, so it didn't matter what she did, him being there was a given. Team Chihayafuru was a trio because Chihaya loved them equally, Arata as an aspiration and possibly romantically, Taichi as a friend who never leaves. It's been long since the last time Chihaya mentioned Arata as a teammate, too, if I'm not mistaken. Her teammates have long been Mizusawa, Taichi being in both team Chihayafuru and Mizusawa Karuta Club putting him in both. Taichi was more a teammate for her than Arata. It's been showed several times. She chose to watch Taichi's class B final than Arata and Shinobu's class A one, him expecting her not to come but her coming anyway, Taichi making class A being her most important thing in the beginning of second year. She cheered for Taichi in the East qualifier, teary-eyed when it turned out he was wearing the Mizusawa shirt (which goes for all the other Mizusawa members, anyway, who still treated him as a president even after he left). She cheered for Taichi against Arata in their representative match: her thinking "it's okay as long as Taichi takes the card", her teary-eyed when he took both Chiha and Fu from Arata (I might have gotten the sequence wrong, did he take Chiha and Fu in the same match?). Taichi liked-- loved-- Chihaya a lot, mentioned once how he was being sneaky about both making it to class A and getting closer to Chihaya. And yet Taichi didn't open up to Chihaya as much as Chihaya was readable to him. The whole relationship is so one-sided. He took care of her as a friend and as a club president, he got hurt knowing she liked another guy, to the point it's like he's telling her, "We're friends, but you don't have to do anything. I will sacrifice things for you, you will feel at ease. I will hurt alone." Which wasn't healthy, and it didn't just hurt him, it hurt Chihaya too. Taking 3rd grade as the first time they met as mentioned in the light novel, they've been friends for 9 years. How is that after 9 years, Chihaya asked Tsuboguchi-san to talk to him to ease his mind after losing to Arata, and he thought it was because she wanted to know about Arata, and not because she was his friend for that long? Chihaya most of the time was an open book, but it didn't mean she can't take care of her friends. Taichi positioned himself in the way that he was always there for her, it was a given for her. When Arata left, Taichi was there, therefor the karuta club. When Taichi left, Arata has always been so far anyway, so she quit. This wasn't the only time she wanted to do things on impulse when Taichi left or did it alone. She wanted to quit field trip the moment Taichi wasn't there and sneakily getting into the competition. "Why am I in Tokyo, when Taichi is in Kyoto?".

Note -- things I didn't count as obsessive in Taichi/Chihaya relationship: them going to school together. Despite the live adaptation, it was mentioned in light novel (and again, for me light novel is more reliable since Suetsugu discussed with Tokiumi the general ideas) that Taichi went to Mizusawa because his mother said "if you can't get number 1 in a prestigious school, go be number 1 in another place", and it happened that Mizusawa was one of the good public school, and Chihaya making it there was shocking to him, so yeah, them reuniting was purely accidental. He didn't go to Mizusawa because he knew prior that Chihaya was going there. Taichi giving Arata's number a bit later because he didn't want her lose focus on the Queen qualifier, I like to think he'd do the same to any Mizusawa members, taking them away from distraction. Also him telling Chihaya to stop thinking about Arata and Queen, since they were still doing the group rounds in the second nationals.

Special mention: Arata's development is always going forward, which is fitting for him. Taichi's development was going forward, finally confessing to her about the glasses, only to kiss her and left. I get that he left because his being number 2 and it was mentioned many times that he'd quit if he wasn't number 1, but her rejection was one of the things that pushed it forward. This "reversed" his character development again, then he went forward again starting from that.

TLDR: Chihaya treats Arata as a person way too good to be true, while Taichi treats her as a child. Arata and Chihaya needs to have time close to each other to have more things in common, while Taichi and Chihaya being away was good for the both of them.

Now I don't root for any boy. It's a bit easier when looking at it as a Chihaya-centric story, where the boys are just acting as a push for her journey in karuta. It's not that because Arata quit karuta that she made the karuta club, but in order for her to make a karuta club, Arata needed to quit. It's not because Taichi quit the club that she also quit, but in order for her to see karuta from a different point of view, Taichi needed to leave. They are all just characters anyway, and Chihayafuru was essentially Chihaya's from the beginning. Looking at it, she doesn't have to be in a romantic relationship for the finale. It's not a romance story, and it's widely known. The romance is just a subplot. In order for her to have a romantic relationship in the end, the romance has to be more than a subplot. I can see them being a trio together-- Taichi/Chihaya splitting away reason wasn't known by other people, even the club members. Most of them thought it was just Chihaya having it hard when Taichi left, even though Kana-chan suspected there were more and even though in the end Taichi told Nishida and Komano. They can simply be friends again after Taichi lost feelings, which he's in the process right now. Chihaya might have forgotten Arata's confession for a while, but she asked him to wait. I think Arata, unlike Taichi, will be able to be her friend even if he's rejected.

Things I look forward to, should the manga be extended: Arata moving to Tokyo, the match between Taichi and Chihaya that he promised and she reminded him about (very pessimistic on this one since Arata asked her to have a match in chapter 20-30 ish and the match happened in chapter 160 ish), Chihaya being friends with both again, them graduating high school, Chihaya being happy.

I'm deleting MAL since I don't use it that much. Thank you for reading. This has been long.
removed-userApr 30, 2021 7:17 PM
Sep 4, 2021 8:57 AM
Jun 2020
shanimebib said:
Jenit_Ransinh said:
I really hope I am wrong tho

The title of the manga is also almost a giveaway. Chihayafuru (ちはやふる) contains Chihaya's name. And the title of the manga is only one dakuten different (not just the syllable) from the hiragana used in Chihayaburu (ちはやる) which Suetsugu-sensei used to describe Arata and his Karuta.

Anyone who attentively followed the manga would know this without having to read the description. While the whole manga is a flashback, the very first panels where the flashback story started were as good as a giveaway.

But before drawing the conclusions here let's be honest. Anyone who thinks Chihaya should end up with Taichi doesn't seem to put them in Chihaya's shoes. That's not how it works in romance. The feelings need to be mutual. Unless Chihaya starts having feelings for Taichi as someone of the opposite sex, like she has for Arata (Taichi fans may deny it all they want) that's as far as it goes.

I love Taichi. And I admired his devotion for the love of his life – Chihaya. But his devotion crippled him like a caged bird that lost its ability to fly. And now he has broken out of that cage and truly is flying. His new found passion for Karuta and his striving for becoming the best is much, much more profound than the devotion he showed for Chihaya. Taichi's story is one of the best written coming of age stories. No one can take away anything from that whether or not Chihaya returns his feelings. Keep in mind that Chihaya is not obliged to return his feelings. I repeat, that's not how it works in romance.

And I love Arata. He has been fragile as a person from the start. He wouldn't hit Taichi when he hit him. He wouldn't come out and tell the classmates that he didn't like them taking notes of his dialects. But he had his ideals when it came to Karuta. He had his own world and he truly became the inspiration for many others because of his Karuta. Yet his Karuta is now fragile as well. He often succumbs to desperation and does things during the matches very unlike him. He let go of the rundown room where he played Karuta with Chihaya and Taichi. He is breaking the whole "Impassionate" idea that Chihaya has about him little by little. He is slowly but surely going through a huge change. He is becoming more of a human character when he is playing Karuta. Long gone are his smiles when he beat Shinobu after making a return to Karuta.

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!

I totally agree! I love Taichi and I clearly felt that his feelings for Chihaya was binding him and as he started to get more invested in karuta his growth and development as a person was more powerful.

Arata as well has slowly but surely grown and I love it. He has truly matured into a blossoming flower. Character development always makes me happy.
Jul 30, 2022 7:39 AM
Feb 2016
Hoho oh boy, finally got the answer.
Jul 31, 2022 10:19 AM

Oct 2012
Yes, it was!

Jul 31, 2022 8:27 PM
Jun 2019
Congratulation to Arata, Taichi and Chihaya all their dreams is now fulfilled!
Aug 1, 2022 5:31 PM
Jan 2017
Oh I've got some news for you.
Aug 4, 2022 7:06 AM

Oct 2012
I'm sort of smiling at my earlier posts. So happy
Aug 5, 2022 3:09 AM
Mar 2016
shanimebib said:
Jenit_Ransinh said:
I really hope I am wrong tho

The title of the manga is also almost a giveaway. Chihayafuru (ちはやふる) contains Chihaya's name. And the title of the manga is only one dakuten different (not just the syllable) from the hiragana used in Chihayaburu (ちはやる) which Suetsugu-sensei used to describe Arata and his Karuta.

Anyone who attentively followed the manga would know this without having to read the description. While the whole manga is a flashback, the very first panels where the flashback story started were as good as a giveaway.

But before drawing the conclusions here let's be honest. Anyone who thinks Chihaya should end up with Taichi doesn't seem to put them in Chihaya's shoes. That's not how it works in romance. The feelings need to be mutual. Unless Chihaya starts having feelings for Taichi as someone of the opposite sex, like she has for Arata (Taichi fans may deny it all they want) that's as far as it goes.

I love Taichi. And I admired his devotion for the love of his life – Chihaya. But his devotion crippled him like a caged bird that lost its ability to fly. And now he has broken out of that cage and truly is flying. His new found passion for Karuta and his striving for becoming the best is much, much more profound than the devotion he showed for Chihaya. Taichi's story is one of the best written coming of age stories. No one can take away anything from that whether or not Chihaya returns his feelings. Keep in mind that Chihaya is not obliged to return his feelings. I repeat, that's not how it works in romance.

And I love Arata. He has been fragile as a person from the start. He wouldn't hit Taichi when he hit him. He wouldn't come out and tell the classmates that he didn't like them taking notes of his dialects. But he had his ideals when it came to Karuta. He had his own world and he truly became the inspiration for many others because of his Karuta. Yet his Karuta is now fragile as well. He often succumbs to desperation and does things during the matches very unlike him. He let go of the rundown room where he played Karuta with Chihaya and Taichi. He is breaking the whole "Impassionate" idea that Chihaya has about him little by little. He is slowly but surely going through a huge change. He is becoming more of a human character when he is playing Karuta. Long gone are his smiles when he beat Shinobu after making a return to Karuta.

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!

I'm from the future... do you want to hear the news? XD
Aug 14, 2022 3:43 AM

Apr 2012
at the end of the day, the vastly and by far superior couple win
Sep 27, 2022 2:26 PM

Oct 2012
While rereading this thread today....I know I annoyingly fought but gosh looking back!! It sure was worth while!!!

It's so funny to read the comments!! Some really thought they had it all packed up !

The endgame was indeed decided from the start in a mind blowing hint that Taichi and Chihaya were 16&17 for the first chap on!
chiakimagotoJan 12, 2023 1:09 PM
Sep 27, 2022 7:52 PM

Dec 2014
Best ending would be Taichi beat them both in karuta cruely and walk away like a boss without turning back.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.