Read this

I really hope I am wrong tho
Spectral_SoulMar 8, 2018 1:42 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2018 7:25 AM

Nov 2007
Jenit_Ransinh said:

The title of the manga is also almost a giveaway. Chihayafuru (ちはやふる) contains Chihaya's name. And the title of the manga is only one dakuten different (not just the syllable) from the hiragana used in Chihayaburu (ちはやる) which Suetsugu-sensei used to describe Arata and his Karuta.

Anyone who attentively followed the manga would know this without having to read the description. While the whole manga is a flashback, the very first panels where the flashback story started were as good as a giveaway.

But before drawing the conclusions here let's be honest. Anyone who thinks Chihaya should end up with Taichi doesn't seem to put them in Chihaya's shoes. That's not how it works in romance. The feelings need to be mutual. Unless Chihaya starts having feelings for Taichi as someone of the opposite sex, like she has for Arata (Taichi fans may deny it all they want) that's as far as it goes.

I love Taichi. And I admired his devotion for the love of his life – Chihaya. But his devotion crippled him like a caged bird that lost its ability to fly. And now he has broken out of that cage and truly is flying. His new found passion for Karuta and his striving for becoming the best is much, much more profound than the devotion he showed for Chihaya. Taichi's story is one of the best written coming of age stories. No one can take away anything from that whether or not Chihaya returns his feelings. Keep in mind that Chihaya is not obliged to return his feelings. I repeat, that's not how it works in romance.

And I love Arata. He has been fragile as a person from the start. He wouldn't hit Taichi when he hit him. He wouldn't come out and tell the classmates that he didn't like them taking notes of his dialects. But he had his ideals when it came to Karuta. He had his own world and he truly became the inspiration for many others because of his Karuta. Yet his Karuta is now fragile as well. He often succumbs to desperation and does things during the matches very unlike him. He let go of the rundown room where he played Karuta with Chihaya and Taichi. He is breaking the whole "Impassionate" idea that Chihaya has about him little by little. He is slowly but surely going through a huge change. He is becoming more of a human character when he is playing Karuta. Long gone are his smiles when he beat Shinobu after making a return to Karuta.

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 9, 2018 8:32 AM
Sep 2017
shanimebib said:

I am loving both Arata and Taichi's development in the manga. Despite of all the changes Arata has gone through, and the changes Taichi has gone through, their personalities would not make Chihaya fall out of love with one and fall for the other while she basically remained the same Chihaya throughout 196 chapters of this manga. The manga will have to put tremendous time and effort to change Chihaya's feelings for Arata and the only way that would be possible is to change Chihaya's personality and make her someone who cannot be described just as a Karuta-baka. 100 more chapters, perhaps? Let's wait and see!

As much as I hate it I can't help but agree with you. It seems like Taichi's development in the manga was one more of personal growth rather than romantic development. I hope that at least the author spends the time to develop Arata's character, so he's more likable before the end. Though at this point, I would rather prefer a karuta-nut ending with none of the three getting together over having Chihaya start focusing on romantic stuff more.I just want an ending with the three of them playing Karuta for the years to come without Taichi suffering :P (also would totally be down for 100+ more chapters)
Grimas_7ruthMar 9, 2018 8:49 AM
Mar 10, 2018 11:51 PM

Oct 2012
I can agree with you that Chihaya was meant to end up with Arata in the beginning. 10 years have past......and it looks like Taichi's part of the story just took a greater part than it was supposed to.

There is a great chance she will stick to her original plan.

For me Taichi's coming of age story was the most beautiful up till now, it certainly overshadowed the heroine's, who hardly has seemed to make any progress in her personal development. In the end i almost rather she end up with Arata.......she just doesn't fit with Taichi. Not that i think her story with Arata is any better though.....i can't relate to it at all.....I feel that Chihaya's development has been sacrified to keep the"triangle tease" going......and that's just a bit of a shame....

Anyway we soon will know, cause once we know which boy wins....the other probaly will win Chihaya's heart.......and the tease will be over. Suetsugu san will then be able to concentrate on Chihaya's coming of age.

It's funny, there was a time i wouldn't have minded if Taichi lost, if he could be with Chihaya. But now I just want him to win and rooting for him to go and face Suou!
chiakimagotoMar 11, 2018 12:17 AM
Mar 12, 2018 9:38 AM
Mar 2015
Suetsugu told us that the karuta is more important than the romance and the journey is more important than the ending. I think she has an ending in mind where Team Chihayafuru can meet as friends at Omi Jingu no matter who is together with who.

She told us that Shinobu and Chihaya will be lifelong rivals but after 10 years they will just part of the scenery as new gise to power. My guess is tha both Taichi and Arata will each have Meijin by that time. What Suo will be doing by that time I have no clue

By the end of ten years Taichi will have completed his medical training and able to do what he wants to do with his life just like Karou in Kids on the Slope. Both Arata and Chihaya will also be busy with theri careers.

How the romance plays out is anybody's guess. Taichi refused to let Suetsugu write him as side character so he will play a major role in any ending
Mar 13, 2018 9:10 AM

Jan 2016
Tbh this started out with Chihaya and Arata being the obvious couple, but 11 years can change a lot. Taichi is the most popular male character in Chihayafuru and Suetsugu seems to have grown with Taichi. He's a lot more important to the story then she had originally planned for him to be is what I believe.

Don't forget Chihaya reaction to Taichi quitting the club tells you a lot about how important he has become to her. Also, she's been really weird and awkward around him as of late.....

Chihaya didn't even ponder that much over Arata's confession, her reaction was more comical because she was thinking about him coming over to Tokyo and playing Karuta rather than his confession. Chihaya doesn't have feelings for Arata as of now, she looks up to him. She's done that since she was a child, there is nothing more to it. Arata is the one who got Chihaya's journey started, but Taichi is the one who has stuck with her throughout it. Ok, not through the whole journey of course cause he quit Karuta for a while but ya'll get the point

Don't get me wrong, I like Arata as a character. Not a lot because he was not present much throughout more than half of the manga, I'm starting to like him more. But Taichi's love seems to be a lot stronger, just look at the confession and how he told her little details about her that he loves.

I read this because it's a great piece of fiction, both the drama and the karuta. That's exactly why I don't want to see Chihaya with Arata, because it's fiction and not reality.
FireFistYKMar 13, 2018 9:14 AM
Feb 15, 2019 12:40 PM

Oct 2012
A bit late to the discussion, but something to point out: Suetsugu herself already said that Taichi was supposed to be a supporting character in the beginning, but he kind of "grew for himself" during the manga, becoming one of the main characters as well. This manga is about the trio. This just shows how far Taichi has come.

At this point, we have no idea who Chihaya is going to end up as of yet. I firmly believe that there is a set up for TaiChihaya to be canon (lol), but I've been doubting myself and then being confident all over again in the past 7 years I've been reading this manga. Meaning: I still have no fucking idea, as no one does, because he manga isn't finished and Suetsugu can be really surprising.

Taichi has been the dark horse of the manga since the beginning, so it's no wonder that it would seem that Chiharata was the obvious choice. However, there is a theory that I think may be true in the end: Chihaya loves playing karuta with Arata and sees him as some kind of karuta god - he was the one who introduced her to the thing she loves the most, after all. And I feel like she may think this is love, when, in fact, it may not be. It can be a greater admiration, a feeling to want to be closer, to play together, and yet not in a romantic way.

I remember that her reaction to Arata confession broke every last hope I had that TaiChihaya could become real, but after Taichi's confession, his distance and all that, hope was restored. You see, Sumire thought, just before Taichi's confession that deep down Chihaya actually had feelings for him. Now, in chapter 207, Kana-chna seemed to thought so as well. Chihaya has been a clueless person from the very beginning, so maybe she loves him and haven't realized it yet.

Still, this is all only assumption. We can't know for sure. TaiChihaya shippers, I think, are kind of afraid to believe in their ship being real after so much suffering - and cheering for the dark horse is always hard. On the other side, there are overconfident Chiharata shippers that believe their ship is canon and the end game of the series no matter what you say. AND there are also Chiharata shippers who believe Taichihaya is the end game; and vice-versa.

We can only wait for what Suetsugu is going to give us. ~

Apr 12, 2019 11:48 AM
Feb 2013
@MaahHeim said:

I remember that her reaction to Arata confession broke every last hope I had that TaiChihaya could become real, but after Taichi's confession, his distance and all that, hope was restored. You see, Sumire thought, just before Taichi's confession that deep down Chihaya actually had feelings for him. Now, in chapter 207, Kana-chna seemed to thought so as well. Chihaya has been a clueless person from the very beginning, so maybe she loves him and haven't realized it yet.

I'm late into the discussion as well but at this point, I kinda agree with you. Recently Taichi hinted that the feelings are fading away and the way Chihaya acts around him now is point enough. I'd really hope like millions of others out there that Suetsugu will stop with triangle thing and let Chihaya grow as a character now as well as putting us out of misery. Where Chihaya has improved a lot in karuta, her character has changed very little over the span of 11 years. Let's see what is the end game now. *fingers crossed*
Apr 12, 2019 12:10 PM

Oct 2012
KangHae said:
@MaahHeim said:

I'm late into the discussion as well but at this point, I kinda agree with you. Recently Taichi hinted that the feelings are fading away and the way Chihaya acts around him now is point enough. I'd really hope like millions of others out there that Suetsugu will stop with triangle thing and let Chihaya grow as a character now as well as putting us out of misery. Where Chihaya has improved a lot in karuta, her character has changed very little over the span of 11 years. Let's see what is the end game now. *fingers crossed*

I feel like Chihaya grew a lot in terms of how she deals with her studies and obligations. Still, regarding to love and stuff she's still as clueless as ever. ALTHOUGH the fact that she said she was going to give Arata an answer does show that she's been thinking things through. I believe that seeing Kana-chan and Komano-kun together has been a way for her to learn about relationships in general. Hmmmm.

Glad you agree xD But honestly I also feel that everything I assume is biased as hell since I love Taichi so much. I think Suetsugu will tell us who Chihaya is going to end up with only at the very end. Although this is a sports manga, it is also a romance one. She's going to keep us in the dark as who is going to win the Queen/Meijin matches, and also who Chihaya loves.
Apr 13, 2019 7:21 AM
Feb 2013
@MaahHeim said:

Glad you agree xD But honestly I also feel that everything I assume is biased as hell since I love Taichi so much. I think Suetsugu will tell us who Chihaya is going to end up with only at the very end. Although this is a sports manga, it is also a romance one. She's going to keep us in the dark as who is going to win the Queen/Meijin matches, and also who Chihaya loves.[/quote]

Guess, Taichi lovers will always feel the same! And you are right, Suestugu will keep us hanging in this part till the end. TT_TT
May 10, 2019 5:57 AM
Jan 2018
ILovemysister said:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/EclMd

Read this

How do you know if this was even accurately translated?
I seriously doubt Suetsugu (mangaka) will ever be so transparent about her ending
May 10, 2019 10:57 AM

Sep 2012
KaitlinSoon said:
I seriously doubt Suetsugu (mangaka) will ever be so transparent about her ending

If you don't want to trust the translation then take this joint interview https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/p495/. Umino-another mangaka-declares that she can feel the romantic feelings Chihaya has for Arata in which Suetsugu responds that that is something-meaning the romantic feelings Chihaya holds for Arata-that’s running through the entire manga and that apart of that admiration due to Arata being strong at karuta. Suetsugu confirms in that interview that Chihaya does in fact have romantic feelings for Arata. There's also a new guidebook that released back in March that touched upon the different pairings in the series. The page focusing on Chihaya x Arata, includes "two karuta idiots and their love" on it.

Suetsugu has always been very transparent with the romance if you ask me. The manga is more than enough proof of that.
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
May 10, 2019 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
KaitlinSoon said:
ILovemysister said:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/EclMd

Read this

It is. But it must be said that it was something that was written by Suetsugu 12 years ago. She herself has said that Taichi was supposed to be a supporting character at first, but that he grew on her. If she's going to keep what she thought at first - Chiharata - or not depends entirely on how she feels about her characters now. She could change what she thought at the beginning, if she sees fit, or she could just change it. So don't worry. Chiharata fans will say things, and TaiChihaya fans will say other things, but in the end we eat crumbs everywhere and Suetsugu is the only one who knows who Chihaya is going to end up with.
MaahHeimMay 10, 2019 1:14 PM
May 10, 2019 1:12 PM

Sep 2012
MaahHeim said:
But it must be said that it was something that was written by Suetsugu 12 years ago.

The direction the story has been flowing just shows me that she's never changed her mind on the Chihaya x Arata ending.
May 10, 2019 1:14 PM

Oct 2012
I had just answered in my last post, but I'll copy it here:

possession1981 said:

Suetsugu has always been very transparent with the romance if you ask me. The manga is more than enough proof of that.

I disagree. At first it always felt like Arata was "winning", then, during the whole Mizusawa teamclub thing, Taichi, then Arata - all the "I miss Arata" during their second year + confession, then Taichi (after he left the Mizusawa club) and now Arata again.

Arata fans used to be 100% sure of their ship, but Taichi has received a new light under Suetsugu writing and now I - surprisingly! - see Chiharata shippers thinking TaiChihaya is the endgame (and otherwise, obviously).

Taichi has always been the dark horse, but it doesn't mean that he doesn't have any chances. If who Chihaya would end up with was so surely decided, Suetsugu wouldn't mind talk about it openly, I think (or would because sales lol). It is a romantic triangle manga, and the one she chooses for Chihaya will only show when she wants. So yeah, we can all assume what we want, but there's nothing decided. If you ask me, there's a plot for TaiChihaya to be the endgame. But who knows, right?
May 10, 2019 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
MaahHeim said:
Arata fans used to be 100% sure of their ship, but Taichi has received a new light under Suetsugu writing and now I - surprisingly! - see Chiharata shippers thinking TaiChihaya is the endgame (and otherwise, obviously).

Can't speak for any other shippers so I won't, but I certainly wasn't one of them. I never doubted the Chihaya x Arata ending even when Taichi left the club. Actually his departure and what led to it such as the confession just kept driving the Arata end to me. Her reaction to both confessions-which are starkly different-how Taichi kissed her without her consent and how dark Suetsugu conveyed the scene, how Chihaya didn't realize any new feelings that went beyond platonic for Taichi during his absence, how they've been on talking terms for quite some time now yet neither are shown to think about the confession or the kiss as if they both want to forget such a thing ever happened and just continue on the best they can without letting their close friendship be destroyed by Chihaya not being able to return his feelings.
May 10, 2019 2:07 PM

Oct 2012
possession1981 said:
MaahHeim said:

Can't speak for any other shippers so I won't, but I certainly wasn't one of them. I never doubted the Chihaya x Arata ending even when Taichi left the club. Actually his departure and what led to it such as the confession just kept driving the Arata end to me. Her reaction to both confessions-which are starkly different-how Taichi kissed her without her consent and how dark Suetsugu conveyed the scene, how Chihaya didn't realize any new feelings that went beyond platonic for Taichi during his absence, how they've been on talking terms for quite some time now yet neither are shown to think about the confession or the kiss as if they both want to forget such a thing ever happened and just continue on the best they can without letting their close friendship be destroyed by Chihaya not being able to return his feelings.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Then again I disagree but I don't think I'll change your mind so I'll remain quiet. If you feel like checking theories on TaiChihaya (probably not?) I think there are a few on Tumblr.
May 10, 2019 2:19 PM

Sep 2012
MaahHeim said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Then again I disagree but I don't think I'll change your mind so I'll remain quiet. If you feel like checking theories on TaiChihaya (probably not?) I think there are a few on Tumblr.

I lurk the Taichi club forum for new information and the translated new chapters. I've read countless theories already. Nothing has yet to convince me. I just don't see it and that's fine. We're both entitled to our different opinions!
May 10, 2019 2:33 PM

Oct 2012
possession1981 said:
MaahHeim said:

I lurk the Taichi club forum for new information and the translated new chapters. I've read countless theories already. Nothing has yet to convince me. I just don't see it and that's fine. We're both entitled to our different opinions!

Yeah, same with Chiharata theories. We ship what we ship
May 11, 2019 5:42 PM
Jan 2018
possession1981 said:
KaitlinSoon said:

If you don't want to trust the translation then take this joint interview https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/p495/. Umino-another mangaka-declares that she can feel the romantic feelings Chihaya has for Arata in which Suetsugu responds that that is something-meaning the romantic feelings Chihaya holds for Arata-that’s running through the entire manga and that apart of that admiration due to Arata being strong at karuta. Suetsugu confirms in that interview that Chihaya does in fact have romantic feelings for Arata. There's also a new guidebook that released back in March that touched upon the different pairings in the series. The page focusing on Chihaya x Arata, includes "two karuta idiots and their love" on it.

By the way from your tone I can see that you think i'm a TaiChihaya shipper but im the complete opposite. Why I feel like Chihaya and Arata makes more sense is due to the love they both share for Karuta. This series is about KARUTA so shipping a Karuta lover with someone equally passionate is the only way to end this. If Suetsugu does make TaiChihaya the final pairing, its just terrible. People feel bad for Taichi etc I get it okay? But the meaning behind this series, as I said earlier, is about KARUTA and will always be about KARUTA

-spoilers-
When Taichi came back at the Meijin Qualifiers, he copied Suou's style of playing= 0 passion or love for karuta while chihaya and arata only have pure love for the game
May 11, 2019 7:08 PM

Sep 2012
KaitlinSoon said:
Why I feel like Chihaya and Arata makes more sense is due to the love they both share for Karuta. This series is about KARUTA so shipping a Karuta lover with someone equally passionate is the only way to end this.

You hit the nail right on the head! I feel like a lot of the shippers from the opposing side tend to forget that this is karuta manga at it's core. I've said this in a different thread, but every relationship Chihaya shares with another character is connected to karuta to a degree-Arata, Shinobu, Harada-sensei, the Misuzawa club, even Taichi. The relationship Chihaya shares with with older sister Chitose will be tied through karuta going by the latest chapter-I won't spoil anything, but I feel that Chitose will now accept and respect the passion/love/dedication Chihaya has for this card game which will lead to the mending of their strained relationship. Creating yet another relationship that is mended through karuta-like how karuta brought Arata back to Chihaya and how it brought Taichi back to the club after his departure. Chihaya ending up with the one that can match her karuta passion in a karuta manga is the most fitting conclusion to the romance aspect of the story.

When Taichi came back at the Meijin Qualifiers, he copied Suou's style of playing= 0 passion or love for karuta while chihaya and arata only have pure love for the game

I'll have to go back to reread that match, but if he did copy Suo a lot then it explains why he lost by such a large margin. He can copy Suo all he wants, but he isn't Suo himself. The Meijin title-and Queen title-isn't a trivial thing, it's a title that those that attain it attempt to defend over and over again so that no one else takes it from them. It's a title you dedicate your life to, narratively it made no sense for someone like Taichi, who just started to think of karuta as dear during that very match, to face Suo instead of Arata. His newfound love and passion for karuta will never, ever be on the same level as Arata and Chihaya. Those two made up their minds to dedicate their lives to the cards during childhood, it's their life passion. Period.

May 11, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2018
possession1981 said:
KaitlinSoon said:
Why I feel like Chihaya and Arata makes more sense is due to the love they both share for Karuta. This series is about KARUTA so shipping a Karuta lover with someone equally passionate is the only way to end this.

You hit the nail right on the head! I feel like a lot of the shippers from the opposing side tend to forget that this is karuta manga at it's core. I've said this in a different thread, but every relationship Chihaya shares with another character is connected to karuta to a degree-Arata, Shinobu, Harada-sensei, the Misuzawa club, even Taichi. The relationship Chihaya shares with with older sister Chitose will be tied through karuta going by the latest chapter-I won't spoil anything, but I feel that Chitose will now accept and respect the passion/love/dedication Chihaya has for this card game which will lead to the mending of their strained relationship. Creating yet another relationship that is mended through karuta-like how karuta brought Arata back to Chihaya and how it brought Taichi back to the club after his departure. Chihaya ending up with the one that can match her karuta passion in a karuta manga is the most fitting conclusion to the romance aspect of the story.

I'll have to go back to reread that match, but if he did copy Suo a lot then it explains why he lost by such a large margin. He can copy Suo all he wants, but he isn't Suo himself. The Meijin title-and Queen title-isn't a trivial thing, it's a title that those that attain it attempt to defend over and over again so that no one else takes it from them. It's a title you dedicate your life to, narratively it made no sense for someone like Taichi, who just started to think of karuta as dear during that very match, to face Suo instead of Arata. His newfound love and passion for karuta will never, ever be on the same level as Arata and Chihaya. Those two made up their minds to dedicate their lives to the cards during childhood, it's their life passion. Period.

Goddammit ur the best person i've ever seen QAQ Finally, someone who understands this series to its core. Karuta is a beautiful game, and people with the same passion for it should be together to grow this game T^T
May 11, 2019 7:57 PM

Sep 2012
KaitlinSoon said:
Goddammit ur the best person i've ever seen QAQ Finally, someone who understands this series to its core.

Thank you 😊, but I'm sure that there are many other readers that understand the manga just as well and even better than I do-especially those that are able to read Chihayafuru in it's original language since I believe a lot of little things are lost in translation since there are Japanese words/saying/expressions that don't exist in the English language so one has to find the next best thing to convey what Suetsugu wanted to express/get through and it works fine, but it isn't exactly what she wrote. Just with the last chapter, I found out that there was a mistranslation in what Arata said to Chihaya.

people with the same passion for it should be together to grow this game T^T

I concur. Our lovable yet clumsy karuta idots getting together is the only ending I can see.
May 12, 2019 3:51 AM

Nov 2007
Lost in translation? You can say that again.

The worst case is translating from secondary sources like Korean/Chinese/Spanish translations. I have seen it with recent translations of Gotoubun and Kaguya-sama. One thing is localization but the other is changing the meaning/ atmosphere altogether. And it happens a lot during translations from the primary source so, imagine how it would be like in case of translating using secondary sources.

I can read Japanese but I will let you know one thing. Chihayafuru is extremely poetic beyond the poems. If someone is not at least an A- in Japanese, they should not even attempt translating it! But it's better than nothing! So, I take them with open arms!

I only dislike it when you see favouritsm in translation. And it happens quite often.
Coronavirus.
May 20, 2019 1:14 AM
May 2019
I actually think arata and chihaya will end up together. In the manga, chihaya apologises to taichi as he confesses to her, far diferent from what she responded to arata's confession. Taichi also said that his feelings for chihaya will become less in the future. In the recent chapters, chihaya has espressed jealousy towards the the videos of shinobu and arata playing karuta together, which to a point closes the video as she saw arata patting shinobu's head. In an illusion, she saw arata and shinobu walking away from her together, much to her discomfort. I really think that chihaya has gradually realised her feelings for arata in the series and taichi is walking away slowly form the pair. Btw, arata is so freakin handsome.<3
May 23, 2019 7:53 AM
Mar 2015
Chihaya does not apologize to Tacihi after his confession. "Sorry" is what respondents say to the confessor in shoujo when they are rejecting their confession. Note that she does not say
" I like someone else" which is the other usual response to a confession (She could have said " I like Emila" )
May 24, 2019 5:42 AM

Nov 2007
landofthekwt said:
Chihaya does not apologize to Tacihi after his confession. "Sorry" is what respondents say to the confessor in shoujo when they are rejecting their confession.

The "sorry" had double meaning. The other meaning was Chihaya not realizing Taichi's feelings for her, for making him go through all that he had gone through. But the other holds truth as well because the person and the confession came to her mind at that moment was Arata and his confession.

kiyomi1213 said:
Btw, Arata is so freakin handsome.<3

Yep. As unpopular as this opinion might be, I find him more attractive than Taichi.
Coronavirus.
Jun 7, 2019 10:17 PM
Mar 2015
Chihaya has 2 epiphanies during the confession First that Taichi has always loved her (Suetsugu says that he represents eternal love in the story.) She even realizes that Taichi stole the glasses and that he did out of jealousy Chihaya only comes to her epiphany about Arata after Taichi finishes his confession and the thought "What about Arata ?"comes into her head It is then that she realizes that Arata 's "Let's play karuta together meant "Let;s live together"

Sorry is shown as a word Not something said from Chihaya to Taichi It just hangs in the air After Taichi leaves he comments her voice was so soft saying that he could barely hear it over the bell

Taichi's confession will haunt her over the next 3 months whereas she forgets about Arata;s confession until the Nationals are over it was only Kana's story that made her remember
Jun 7, 2019 11:15 PM
Oct 2009
Suetsugu tweeted this today. Is she sending hints with 😍 between Chihaya and Arata like she did with those tickets, or am I just reading too much into it?

Is that Suetsugu behind the emoji or someone else?
Jun 8, 2019 7:21 PM

Sep 2012
ShrewOne said:
Suetsugu tweeted this today. Is she sending hints with 😍 between Chihaya and Arata like she did with those tickets, or am I just reading too much into it?

Is that Suetsugu behind the emoji or someone else?

Pretty sure it's Suetsugu herself which is why she put the emoji, looks like she's posing with Arata-very cute! She also held an autograph session at the exhibit. The twitter of the magazine Chihayafuru runs in-Be Love-tweeted a few pictures and there are two posters by the table she was signing the autographs-one of the trio and the other is the Chihaya x Arata artwork drawn for when the ship won the official couple popularity poll. Not so subtle lol.
Jun 9, 2019 5:29 PM

Nov 2007
@possession1981

Some of the posts in the official twitter has been quite suggestive recently, don't you think? I want to not read at them much but can't feel but pick them up.

Also, the official S3 promotions have been promoting it from where it all started i.e. Chihaya learning about Karuta from Arata. A completely different approach and sets the perspective anew I would say, given how much effort and time were spent on developing Taichi's character throughout the manga.
Coronavirus.
Jun 9, 2019 6:31 PM
Mar 2015
That is someone's tweet on the exhibit poster which was sent to Suetsugu. No way Suetsugu would ever cover up one of her characters with an emoji
Jun 9, 2019 8:44 PM

Sep 2012
shanimebib said:

Some of the posts in the official twitter has been quite suggestive recently, don't you think? I want to not read at them much but can't feel but pick them up.

Also, the official S3 promotions have been promoting it from where it all started i.e. Chihaya learning about Karuta from Arata. A completely different approach and sets the perspective anew I would say, given how much effort and time were spent on developing Taichi's character throughout the manga.

Yes, I very much feel the same way. Not just because of the official Be Love twitter, but the exhibit itself which seems to more push Arata more as the male lead. Though I'm also trying not to look much into it, I can't help but feel a bit giddy. I also stumbled upon some tweets by a Japanese fan, and Suetsugu seems to have visited a shop-before the autograph session-and gifted said shop with some new artwork. Three canvas art-two of Chihaya and one of Arata

landofthekwt said:
That is someone's tweet on the exhibit poster which was sent to Suetsugu. No way Suetsugu would ever cover up one of her characters with an emoji

No character is covered with an emoji though. The person posing next to Arata is obviously trying to cover themselves with the emoji, unless you're talking about an entirely different picture.
Jun 9, 2019 8:49 PM
Mar 2015
The emoji is covering a character You can see them from the chest down underneath the emoji Suetsugu would never do such a thing
Jun 9, 2019 9:31 PM

Sep 2012
landofthekwt said:
The emoji is covering a character You can see them from the chest down underneath the emoji Suetsugu would never do such a thing

If you're talking about the picture that was posted in this thread then you got it completely wrong. That's not a character cardboard, that's an actual person next to Arata. Look again. There's also another woman posing behind those two small children whose names I can't remember at the moment. This person-who I do believe is Suetsugu-also posed in another part of the exhibit. You could tell it was the same person by the clothes.
Jun 9, 2019 9:52 PM
Mar 2015
This piece of shit is not Suetsugu's work
Jun 9, 2019 10:04 PM

Sep 2012
landofthekwt said:
This piece of shit is not Suetsugu's work

What in the world are you even going on about? Are you seriously angry over Suetsugu possibly posing with the Arata cutout?
Jun 9, 2019 11:37 PM

Oct 2012
Yes that is Suetsugu san on that pic. She is in Fukui, deep in Arata's orginial county. So it's obvious that the fans over there are all for Arata! I can totally understand them, he respresents that part of Japan and since it's pretty much rural, they must be proud to get some attention from the rest of Japan! I'm a bit of a country bumpkin myself so I can totally relate!

The set up of the cardboard characters matches her art she made for a Awara week promotion in the past. So it's logical that Arata is in the middle(he also was put forward on the official pic)........Chihaya and Taichi from Tokyo are winging him.

chiakimagotoJun 10, 2019 1:25 AM
Jun 14, 2019 7:43 AM

Jan 2015
if thats true then this is fucking trash
Jun 18, 2019 12:04 PM

Sep 2012
For all you guys unnecessarily freaking out, there's a new Suetsugu interview and a non-romantic ending seems like the most likely scenario.

https://book.asahi.com/article/12463820?fbclid=IwAR0KRYvkBt6_6nqoodzqJNWsX6U-EWRb2W6gjDwEKAlb85BRn-SJnVHOA38

possession1981Jun 18, 2019 12:08 PM
Jun 23, 2019 8:18 PM

Jun 2014
shanimebib said:

kiyomi1213 said:
Btw, Arata is so freakin handsome.<3

Yep. As unpopular as this opinion might be, I find him more attractive than Taichi.

I agree too! He is so adorable! Also, in the anime, when they show him focusing in the game and his eyes glowing, his eyes are so beautiful!
June!
Jun 27, 2019 6:58 PM
Oct 2015
possession1981 said:
For all you guys unnecessarily freaking out, there's a new Suetsugu interview and a non-romantic ending seems like the most likely scenario.

https://book.asahi.com/article/12463820?fbclid=IwAR0KRYvkBt6_6nqoodzqJNWsX6U-EWRb2W6gjDwEKAlb85BRn-SJnVHOA38

I can't understand any of it and even when translating it it's a jumbled mess that is equally as hard to understand, but honestly if this turns out to be the case there'll be no complaints for me. I may be in the minority here but I'd personally like for the three to simply be good Karuta friends and nothing more. I love the characters, their endeavors in Karuta, their interactions and the character development but I was never big on the romance aspect of it all and I've always found the love triangle unnecessary and suffocating. I feel this falls more in line with Chihaya's character; she values the friendships and bonds she forms through Karuta and wouldn't want to ruin those for anything.

I will admit I did support TaiChihaya for a while because I like to cheer for the dark horse and I love Taichi's character development in particular. That and I'm usually the dark horse myself irl *cries in Taichi*. This was before I came to the conclusion I'd like a non-romantic ending though.

The biggest reason I dislike the romance aspect of this manga is because the "conclusion" of the romance is revealed before the manga even starts. I hate it when manga do that. Something similar happened in Umaru-chan with Ebina's side-story manga which shows her married to Umaru's big brother Taihei and running a restaurant with him in the last chapter before the main Umaru-chan manga ended. In Takagi-san as well with a side-story manga that shows Takagi and her victim crush married with a daughter and depicts their daily family life. I don't particularly dislike romance per se, especially if it's developed and portrayed well (harem and ecchi can f right off tho), I just don't like it when the conclusion is shown or hinted prematurely. Just blegh.

With all that said, I kinda agree with @MaahHeim in that I believe Chihaya's feelings for Arata are in fact not romantic; they're simply of great admiration. Seeing as Chihaya is so clueless on the subject of love, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that she mistakenly believes her feelings of admiration to be love when it really isn't. That's just what I think though.

Anyway, I really hope that's true and the ending is non-romantic. I feel like it would be the best way to end this manga really.

The only pairing I truly support in this manga is Kanade and Tsutomu.
Jul 17, 2019 8:37 PM
May 2014
I don't read much manga at all but I just caught up with Chihayafuru (started at ch92) after binging the anime because I just couldn't wait until the Fall, and I have a lot of feelings...

Arata's always been kinda meh to me and I haven't been able to see him as anything other than Chihaya's first inspiration. He just seems kinda flat. Taichi did pique my interest right away but I don't think anyone will deny he's one of the most interesting multi-faceted characters in the manga/show. My heart absolutely ached from the time he left the club to when we finally started seeing him again [with Suo.] It was actually painful for me to keep reading, I was so scared he was gonna get written off or something. I truly love him as a character. He has one of my favorite arcs ever and I just want him to be happy.

I don't believe Chihaya has any idea how she really feels and/or lacks the capacity to understand what exactly she feels. At least from what's been shown to us. Now I really love this manga and I think it's writing is amazing but if I have one gripe about it- it's that we barely barely see anything of the characters' personal lives. I know it's about karuta first, but I mean come on. Ya we get a few holidays but you're telling me they never hang out? I think so much more could've been conveyed had we seen just a little something else. Like no one kept in touch with Taichi after he left? Cmon.

Up until Taichi came back I shipped him 100% with Chihaya. It makes the most sense to me. He's always loved her. They've been friends throughout high school. They've always supported each other, and they share the most in common. Since he's been back and come into his own person, I feel like he's grown out of her, which I'm fine with. I just want him to be happy. (That Med school thing though...) And if they do end up together? That's cool too. (So help me though if he ends up with Sumire...)

I'd even be totally fine if Chihaya didn't end up with anybody. In fact at this point I wouldn't be surprised if that's the favored ship. There isn't much developed beyond that and if the manga ends with the Meijin/Queen match, then nothing else makes a lot of sense.

But I absolutely do not want her to be with Arata. I think it's an objectively horrible matchup. The way I see it, Chihaya is either in love with the 'idea' of Arata or she just sees him as a karuta god. I wouldn't even call him her inspiration anymore because that space has been filled by Shinobu. Ya she thinks about him all the time- because he's not there and he's the link to karuta. There aren't thought bubbles about Taichi because Taichi is always there, until he isn't. And then she's thinking about him. I personally felt that Arata's confession came out of nowhere. They hardly ever see each other and the only thing they have in common is karuta. I almost found it kind of creepy, like he's been idolizing her. It makes me question whether he only 'loves' her because she was the first/only girl to give him special attention.

I also read a funny trope somewhere about how it's never the first guy they show- that the girl ends up with. Idk I always try to out-think the outcomes because nothing in Chihayafuru goes as expected. Originally I thought Taichi would win as the challenger just to subvert expectations and especially with how sloppy Arata had been playing. I hope he keeps playing though.
Jul 18, 2019 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
Myskylark, couldn't agree more. Though it does look like the mangaka is pushing a Arata x Chihaya ending...........guess I'll have to reset if that ever happens, lol. I never understood Chihaya's fascination for Arata.....it just doesn't reach my kokoro.
Jul 18, 2019 9:22 AM

Jun 2011
Well since everyone's giving their 2 pieces on this topic.. I feel the need to support Arata with all the Taichi fans in the club.

Arata has always been my favorite since the very beginning, over everyone in the series. Not only do I have a thing for other Japanese dialect speaking characters, his whole design and concept just appeal to me. It all started with the flashback of Chihaya meeting Arata and he got her into the world of karuta. As a kid, if you see another kid work so hard at one aspect of their skills, for me, I'd be naturally drawn to the person, especially since all we did was play at young age.

Yes, Arata may not be as multi-facet as Taichi since he's not the focus of the story for a huge chunk of the series, he doesn't get much screen time to really do anything. Meanwhile, Taichi was in like almost every single episodes.. but that really is down to your own preferences. I like my cool and talented dude who's really kind and attentive as well (like when he noticed Shinobu's cold when he played her)

Not to mention, I do find Taichi somewhat annoying when he kinda forced Chihaya to pick him, or the indirect kiss scene, or just things like that, even as a kid, the cliche bully the girl you like personality, just a lot about him that annoys me.. even he knows that Chihaya fancies Arata right now but still force her to do coupley things with him, her friend since childhood, the guy she doesn't like romantically, because he was jealous. He's going out of his way to make her uncomfortable. And I know there's a reason for it, but he also got into a relationship while still loving Chihaya, that didn't sit well with me too, so yeah.

To be fair, I don't really care who Chihaya ends up with, I am fine with either Chihaya x Arata or Shinobu x Arata.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 18, 2019 10:30 PM

Oct 2012
The fact that Taichi wasn't perfect from the start, left alot of room for his character to grow, change and mature....this was the best part of the story to follow in the manga for me. Arata seems to be the same person he was at the start of the manga, not much has changed.....and the few moments we finally might have had some adversity coming his way, he seems to easily jump every hurdle in this story, not giving the reader any solid time to sympathize or get really interested in him. In the end they are all just "written"characters. I feel the mangaka has sort of let go of an opportunity to make Arata more interesting. She started out so well with his grandpa's illness, his guilt feelings and his return to karuta but after......In the end she just might have left him like that purposely.

I feel even Chihaya truly lacks some deepness. Even if at the moment I feel pretty surprised that she has been properly fighting her loneliness and still standing strong to go out there on her own. It sure has been taking a toll on our sunshine girl.
Jul 19, 2019 10:38 AM
Jul 2014
hello guys, so I've just marathoned anime and manga up to chapter 140 this week, but I had to stop, because the suffering was too much. The reason has a lot to do with the topic of this discussion. I'm not sure if it happened to me before with a story. I was very invested, and the most invested I was in cheering for my boy Taichi to succeed and find his way and happiness. For all of anime I thought (wished) the endgame is Arata becomes meijin and Chihaya finally reciprocates Taichi's feelings and everyone is happy, but as everything went on in the manga I am sure now, that Chihaya doesn't have any romantic feelings for Taichi, and that she actually loves Arata- it looks this way for me. What's more, it doesn't look like Taichi will ever come to love karuta like Chihaya or Arata (i havent read all chapters but i ve read in this discussion that he haven't up to recent chapter). The story doesn't look like Taichi can become better that Chihaya or Arata at karuta and win the meijin neither. And I don't like Sumire for Taichi. I just stopped seeing a happy satisfying ending for Taichi in this manga.
After Taichi was rejected weird things happened to my heart as I started hating both Chihaya and Arata and stopped caring about other characters. I was desperate and started looking on internet to see if things improve for Taichi. I realized I'm not reading the story properly and in healthy way if I feel this, that I may have become one of this infamous crazy shippers and decided to stop and give this manga a break until my little obsession is over. Ufff. Do you guys think his character will get a satisying conclusion and will he be "happy" in the end?
Jul 28, 2019 4:24 PM

Nov 2007
Takukao said:
hello guys, so I've just marathoned anime and manga up to chapter 140 this week, but I had to stop, because the suffering was too much. The reason has a lot to do with the topic of this discussion. I'm not sure if it happened to me before with a story. I was very invested, and the most invested I was in cheering for my boy Taichi to succeed and find his way and happiness. For all of anime I thought (wished) the endgame is Arata becomes meijin and Chihaya finally reciprocates Taichi's feelings and everyone is happy, but as everything went on in the manga I am sure now, that Chihaya doesn't have any romantic feelings for Taichi, and that she actually loves Arata- it looks this way for me. What's more, it doesn't look like Taichi will ever come to love karuta like Chihaya or Arata (i havent read all chapters but i ve read in this discussion that he haven't up to recent chapter). The story doesn't look like Taichi can become better that Chihaya or Arata at karuta and win the meijin neither. And I don't like Sumire for Taichi. I just stopped seeing a happy satisfying ending for Taichi in this manga.
After Taichi was rejected weird things happened to my heart as I started hating both Chihaya and Arata and stopped caring about other characters. I was desperate and started looking on internet to see if things improve for Taichi. I realized I'm not reading the story properly and in healthy way if I feel this, that I may have become one of this infamous crazy shippers and decided to stop and give this manga a break until my little obsession is over. Ufff. Do you guys think his character will get a satisying conclusion and will he be "happy" in the end?

To me he already got a satisfying conclusion. And it looks like it will be a bittersweet ending for him. You cannot change the fact that Chihaya likes Arata and Arara only, romantically. The later chapters make it more obvious.

While it's entirely upto you whether you continue to read or not, Taichi's journey has been one of the most endearing coming of age stories I have come across. And for that alone, everyone should read the manga whether they like Taichi or not.

Hey, I am just answeing what you asked about so please don't be upset.

#PrayForKyoAni #HelpKyoAniHeal
Coronavirus.
Aug 19, 2019 7:51 PM

Jul 2016
Takukao said:

I know what you mean with "weird things happened to my heart as I started hating both Chihaya and Arata and stopped caring about other characters", this is the reason I've stopped watching/reading works with long love triangles and harems, watching them is so hurtful...
DooMWhiteAug 20, 2019 9:53 AM

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Aug 19, 2019 11:48 PM

Oct 2012
Takukao@, I totally feel what you say. Following Taichi's part of the story has been emotionally exhausting. And taking a bit of distance now and then does wonders. I guess we have been burnt once too much.

I definitely won't be satisfied if Taichi's story ends with the qualifiers (which was an emotional rollercoaster again). So I hope Sensei will give us a very happy ending for him(and the others as well).Don't worry, she knows how important he is in the manga. She knows we all are waiting. I hope she will give her all to make the ending great.The story is only over once the last page is written.
chiakimagotoAug 19, 2019 11:52 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.