Forum Settings
Forums

What Anime do You want to see as a Live-Action series/film?

New
Mar 7, 2018 1:38 PM

Mar 2018
There are so many awesome animes out there, and I think there are a lot of them that deserve a live action series or film.
I would want to see a live action: "Magic Kaito", "Noragami", "Sword Art Online", and "One Piece".

What about you guys? What anime would you want to see a live action version of?
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 7, 2018 1:39 PM

Sep 2017
absolutely none of them. last time they did a live action anime adaptation, they fucked up so badly. they fucked up fullmetal alchemist so badly, i don't know how anyone could fuck up that badly.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Mar 7, 2018 1:42 PM

Mar 2018
Well what if live action anime adaptations weren't bad? Is there anything you'd want to see then?
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."

Mar 7, 2018 1:44 PM

Jan 2018
Dlwuik said:
absolutely none of them. last time they did a live action anime adaptation, they fucked up so badly. they fucked up fullmetal alchemist so badly, i don't know how anyone could fuck up that badly.

totally agree, idk about fma but the ghost in the shell adaptation was dogshit aswell

Dazel1412 said:
Well what if live action anime adaptations weren't bad? Is there anything you'd want to see then?

thing is, they are
"That is why I prefer using you two pistols. There is symmetry to wielding you two, right?
(Getting aggravated) But when you two are in human form, your hairstyles and your heights are completely different...
(Grabs their breasts) Even your cup sizes are completely different!"
Death the Kid, Shinigami

Mar 7, 2018 1:47 PM

Sep 2015
Literally Monster is the only anime/manga I could see potentially working as a live action adaptation.
Mar 7, 2018 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Bananya is the one true absolute answer to this. Once Bananya live action is made, the whole industry can pack its stuff and shut down because nothing will ever surpass the purest of joy that can only come from a live action Bananya.
Mar 7, 2018 1:52 PM

Feb 2015
Well... The real issue is... What anime/manga would translate well to a the live-action medium... Some anime/manga can't be made live-action simply because they are made to exist only within one medium...

For an anime/manga to be successfully adapted into a live-action, it has to be altered to match the medium, it has exist within the "human" realm of possibility... Meaning anime such as One Piece, would be pretty much impossible to successfully adapt... Simply because they exist too far out of human possibility... On the other hand... A One Piece live-action is currently in the making but it have to be completely different from the anime/manga in just about every way... Or else it's gonna be complete shit

Japan tries time and time again to adapt any and all anime/manga to live-action... And look how that turns out... Some anime/manga are simply not made for that...

On the other hand, Hollywood has done a better job at choosing its material... Though the movies haven't been perfect, they are leaps and bounds better than anything Japan put out there...

So to answer the question... I'd say... Anime/manga that would be easily workable and I would like to see as Hollywood live-action would be:
- Parasyte the Maxim
- Psycho Pass
- Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
- Tokyo Ghoul
- FMAB
- Noragami
- Death Parade
- Made in Abyss
- Deadman Wonderland
- Ao no Exorcist
- Sankarea
- Ajin
Mar 7, 2018 1:53 PM

Oct 2007
Dlwuik said:

This is how I feel about this topic as well.
Mar 7, 2018 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
I would probably say Gintama, but the recent live-adaption movie was actually pretty good! The movie supposedly did great in box-office, and the sequel is in works.
Edit: read it as "what anime do you not want as a live action?" smh
MonsterMar 7, 2018 7:48 PM
Mar 7, 2018 2:10 PM
Aug 2016
None. Not only they are inferior to anime, but they also tend to blow.
Mar 7, 2018 2:19 PM

Jan 2018
I think that these would make good live action adaptations:

Psycho Pass: Based off of do androids dream of electric sheep, just like Blade Runne.

Monster: There was going to be a live action HBO adaptation. This would probably be the easier anime live action adaptation to do).

Darker Than Black: I remember doing a scene from this show in an acting class and left out the fact that it's an anime. Everyone thought that it was just an intellectual hour long drama. Wouldn't have to change much, if anything to make it a live action show.

Black Lagoon: With it's diverse cast and being action filled, this would be a great live action adaptation.

Nana: Realistic characters and relatable setting. Plus, Ai Yazawa is one of the few writers in manga that I would put in the same league of The Coen bros, Tarantin, Martin McDongah and Kenneth Longeran.

Toradora!: Very real cast of characters. Would be a great live action character drama.

Noir: Sam Ramini was going to do a watered down live action adaptation of this. I would love to see one with the plan of sticking to the 1999 anime's setup.

Kokoro Connect: Great characters and interesting science fiction premise. Though, I doubt we'll see anything new from Kokoro connect.

Kids On The Slope: Great stuff. Very emotional and the characters are very real and raw.

Paradise Kiss: See my reason for Nana.

Phantom: Requiem for phantom: Would be a great live action thriller.

Perfect Blue: Darren Aronosfky was going to do this and even bought the rights to the film. But, couldn't get the money needed and used shots in Requiem for a dream and Black Swan. As the man who wrote Satoshi Kon's eulogy, I'd love to see him get this made.

Ergo Proxy: Probably would be too smart for mass audiences, but would be a pretty dope science fiction cyberpunk action thriller.

Grimgar: Realistic characters and solid world building. Would be an interesting live action series. A more realistic and innocent version of game of thrones.
StarSwoardsmanMar 7, 2018 2:31 PM
Mar 7, 2018 2:23 PM

Oct 2017
Nyah_Chan said:
Well... The real issue is... What anime/manga would translate well to a the live-action medium... Some anime/manga can't be made live-action simply because they are made to exist only within one medium...

For an anime/manga to be successfully adapted into a live-action, it has to be altered to match the medium, it has exist within the "human" realm of possibility... Meaning anime such as One Piece, would be pretty much impossible to successfully adapt... Simply because they exist too far out of human possibility... On the other hand... A One Piece live-action is currently in the making but it have to be completely different from the anime/manga in just about every way... Or else it's gonna be complete shit

Japan tries time and time again to adapt any and all anime/manga to live-action... And look how that turns out... Some anime/manga are simply not made for that...

On the other hand, Hollywood has done a better job at choosing its material... Though the movies haven't been perfect, they are leaps and bounds better than anything Japan put out there...

So to answer the question... I'd say... Anime/manga that would be easily workable and I would like to see as Hollywood live-action would be:
- Parasyte the Maxim
- Psycho Pass
- Tokyo Ghoul
- FMAB
- Noragami
- Death Parade
- Made in Abyss
- Deadman Wonderland
- Ao no Exorcist
- Sankarea
- Ajin

Hollywood would most likely end up doing a worse job then Japan has been doing. The Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin films were both done pretty well.
Mar 7, 2018 2:27 PM

Jan 2018
Deadman wonderland because Western did a fine job with suicide squad.

My hope is not high because of shows like dragon ball & avatar. Soon to be shit would be Bleach but I hope not because death note was good and gintama was awesome.

Mar 7, 2018 2:30 PM

Feb 2015
-SP- said:
Nyah_Chan said:

- Parasyte the Maxim
- Psycho Pass
- Tokyo Ghoul
- FMAB
- Noragami
- Death Parade
- Made in Abyss
- Deadman Wonderland
- Ao no Exorcist
- Sankarea
- Ajin

Hollywood would most likely end up doing a worse job then Japan has been doing. The Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin films were both done pretty well.

Matter of opinion... Most people agree that Hollywood live-actions, are overall better and/or that Japanese live-action are horrible... And the live-action considered the best live-action anime/manga movie was the 2014 "Edge of Tomorrow" adapted from the manga "All You Need is Kill"

But in the end... It's a matter of opinion
Mar 7, 2018 2:32 PM

Aug 2015
After Fullmetal Alchemist and Netflix Death Note I say: "please no more live adaptations of anime! they're horrible!"
Mar 7, 2018 2:34 PM

Jan 2017
I don't think any genre with fantasy will do good as live action. However if it's romance i believe they can do great.
I would love to see Tsuki ga Kirei to get live action.
Mar 7, 2018 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
UrbanSpaceman said:
After Fullmetal Alchemist and Netflix Death Note I say: "please no more live adaptations of anime! they're horrible!"

^ Definitely this! I mean, there's that Bleach LA coming out in the summer, so hopefully they don't screw it up like they did the above two.
Mar 7, 2018 2:45 PM

Jun 2017
hazecloud said:

My hope is not high because of shows like dragon ball & avatar. Soon to be shit would be Bleach but I hope not because death note was good and gintama was awesome.

Death note was good? Are you talking about the movie? The netlifx adaptation?

Mar 7, 2018 2:49 PM

Jan 2018
IdleSolution said:
hazecloud said:

Death note was good? Are you talking about the movie? The netlifx adaptation?

The movie. I haven't watch netflix adaptation so if it's bad then I should avoid it.
Mar 7, 2018 3:39 PM

May 2015
Just do Detroit Metal City. Not even Hollywood can screw that up...
Mar 7, 2018 3:44 PM

Dec 2015
Every live actions are dogshits but I would be happy if they adapt pop team epic in live action
Mar 7, 2018 4:42 PM

Oct 2017
Nyah_Chan said:
-SP- said:

Matter of opinion... Most people agree that Hollywood live-actions, are overall better and/or that Japanese live-action are horrible... And the live-action considered the best live-action anime/manga movie was the 2014 "Edge of Tomorrow" adapted from the manga "All You Need is Kill"

Based on previous forums, it seems to me that most people hate Hollywood adaptations. But then again we are comparing hundreds of Japanese live action movies to only a handful of live-action movies that were made by Hollywood. Dragon ball evolution is considered one of the worst live-action films made. If Hollywood were to make live-action films, a lot of the characters would most likely end up being "white washed" since they have done this on a lot of non-anime films as well, such as Dr.Strange. But like you said it's all based on one's opinion. Personally I won't be touching another live-action film after that shitty attempt made by Netflix to make Death Note. Naruto is about to be so fucked.
Mar 7, 2018 5:05 PM

Apr 2012
Psycho Pass as a Netflix Series.. wouldnt mind if they americanize it. If it has the production values like altered cabone, it would be awesome.
Mar 7, 2018 5:24 PM

Oct 2015
none at all.

what do you think why we are here at an anime-based site for? because we prefer live-action?
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Mar 7, 2018 5:30 PM

Dec 2016
none of which I like the most, live actions are always so awkwardly bad lul
Mar 7, 2018 5:30 PM

Jun 2013
I think the right answer would be: NONE
Mar 7, 2018 6:13 PM

Feb 2015
-SP- said:
Nyah_Chan said:

Based on previous forums, it seems to me that most people hate Hollywood adaptations. But then again we are comparing hundreds of Japanese live action movies to only a handful of live-action movies that were made by Hollywood. Dragon ball evolution is considered one of the worst live-action films made. If Hollywood were to make live-action films, a lot of the characters would most likely end up being "white washed" since they have done this on a lot of non-anime films as well, such as Dr.Strange. But like you said it's all based on one's opinion. Personally I won't be touching another live-action film after that shitty attempt made by Netflix to make Death Note. Naruto is about to be so fucked.

Now the idea of whitewashing is kinda stupid... At the end of the day Japan and the U.S are 2 separate nations with separate nationalities... We can say the same about Japan as we do about the U.S...

FMAB Japanese live-action... FMAB original characters are not Japanese... Yet made Japanese in the live-action... Shingeki no Kyojin... Original cast 98% not Japanese... Yet everyone made Japanese... The list goes on...

The U.S will not produce a film in Japanese to a nation that speaks english and exists in a different culture... So it's a matter of translation between mediums between different countries with different languages and cultures... They're making live-action anime films for their country... So they will change things to suit the regular watcher... Both Japan and the U.S do this... There're 2 sides to every coin... So you can't just shove everything on the U.S and call it a day, without looking at the hypocrisy that comes with that statement...

You can compare it to films/shows of other countries... Bollywood... All actors are Indian... German shows are in German, Polish films made for the Polish... If other countries just happen to view them as well... Then so be it, but the films/shows were not primarily made for people of other nationalities to watch... Same goes for Hollywood... Just because they carry more influence, reach and power in entertainment doesn't change what they are... American... Made by Americans for Americans... So when they make a live-action film from an anime/manga... It is meant to suit primarily Americans... Not weeb trash, not Japanese etc... But the average American

We can bicker all we want but it's pure fact...

At the end of the day... Should live-action films with adaptations featuring Japanese characters be Japanese? Yes... But does it make it satanic if they are not made Japanese? No... Do I support proper nationality casting for any movie/show? Yes... But at the end of the day it's not the primary issue they should worry about...

Mar 7, 2018 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
Dazel1412 said:
There are so many awesome animes out there, and I think there are a lot of them that deserve a live action series or film.
I would want to see a live action: "Magic Kaito", "Noragami", "Sword Art Online", and "One Piece".

Japanese Live actions aren't bad. Well some are better than others. It just depends on how well they make it. I'd like to see a good Shiki live action.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Mar 7, 2018 6:49 PM

Aug 2016
Arzogan said:
Every live actions are dogshits but I would be happy if they adapt pop team epic in live action

How is it even possible to make pop team epic live action? XD
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Mar 7, 2018 6:55 PM
Sep 2017
People actually want live action adaptations? smh
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 7, 2018 6:57 PM
Sep 2017
DarkAnimeAngel said:
Arzogan said:

How is it even possible to make pop team epic live action? XD

That's the point of the entire troll.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 7, 2018 7:02 PM

Oct 2017
Don't need any Live action series/film since all of them suck...
Mar 7, 2018 7:22 PM

Jan 2017
Dazel1412 said:

Netflix is making live action series for SAO. Good for u pal ;-)
But honestly imo, live action series for anime should not be adapted.They never work out.
silent_knight98Mar 7, 2018 7:27 PM
Mar 7, 2018 7:23 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
DxD would easily be hilarious.
And for the record, live action One Piece is already in the works at Hollywood.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2018 7:33 PM

Aug 2017
imagine a live action adaption of hidamari sketch thats a netflix exclusive
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2018 7:43 PM

Oct 2017
Nyah_Chan said:
-SP- said:

Now the idea of whitewashing is kinda stupid... At the end of the day Japan and the U.S are 2 separate nations with separate nationalities... We can say the same about Japan as we do about the U.S...

FMAB Japanese live-action... FMAB original characters are not Japanese... Yet made Japanese in the live-action... Shingeki no Kyojin... Original cast 98% not Japanese... Yet everyone made Japanese... The list goes on...

The U.S will not produce a film in Japanese to a nation that speaks english and exists in a different culture... So it's a matter of translation between mediums between different countries with different languages and cultures... They're making live-action anime films for their country... So they will change things to suit the regular watcher... Both Japan and the U.S do this... There're 2 sides to every coin... So you can't just shove everything on the U.S and call it a day, without looking at the hypocrisy that comes with that statement...

You can compare it to films/shows of other countries... Bollywood... All actors are Indian... German shows are in German, Polish films made for the Polish... If other countries just happen to view them as well... Then so be it, but the films/shows were not primarily made for people of other nationalities to watch... Same goes for Hollywood... Just because they carry more influence, reach and power in entertainment doesn't change what they are... American... Made by Americans for Americans... So when they make a live-action film from an anime/manga... It is meant to suit primarily Americans... Not weeb trash, not Japanese etc... But the average American

At the end of the day... Should live-action films with adaptations featuring Japanese characters be Japanese? Yes... But does it make it satanic if they are not made Japanese? No... Do I support proper nationality casting for any movie/show? Yes... But at the end of the day it's not the primary issue they should worry about...

Your getting caught up on the nationality part, that wasn't my intent. I just said that as one of the reasons, obviously this doesn't affect how well a movie does. The primary reasons why Live-actions by the West end up doing so bad is because of the story, they try to market it towards and uninterested crowd, no-one asks for them but they find a need to make them. You brought up how for the FMA and AOT film they only used Japanese actors, but that's a given since they wouldn't be able to find enough Caucasians to fill in the cast. However with Hollywood its a different story. The U.S happens to be one of the most diverse countries in the world, yet they couldn't find 4-5 Japanese actors to fill in the roles? You stated "The U.S will not produce a film in Japanese to a nation that speaks English and exists in a different culture... So it's a matter of translation between mediums between different countries with different languages and cultures... They're making live-action anime films for their country... So they will change things to suit the regular watcher.." For Japan your statement makes sense, since finding foreigners to fill in roles would be extremely difficult but again for the U.S it's not since there are plenty of Japanese actors in Hollywood. Again getting caught up on the ethnicity part wasn't my intent, I just said that as one of the factors since this seemed to be outrage when Netflix revealed the cast for the Death note film.
Mar 7, 2018 7:43 PM

Oct 2017
ChartTopper60 said:
DxD would easily be hilarious.
And for the record, live action One Piece is already in the works at Hollywood.

Oh no please don't ruin One Piece too.
Mar 7, 2018 7:44 PM

Jun 2011
Cowboy Bebop. Still desired. And I think it could work well.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 7, 2018 7:45 PM

Nov 2013
Well, the obvious answer is none.

Hollywood has proven often enough, that are unable to make good adaptations.

Regarding an One Piece live action movie, that will probably rely so heavily on CGI, that they could just as well make a CGI movie. Which kind of defeats the purpose of an adaptation.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 7, 2018 7:47 PM

Jun 2011
TheBigGuy said:

Regarding an One Piece live action movie, that will most probably rely so heavily on CGI, that they just as well could make a CGI movie. Which kind of defeats the purpose of an adaptation.

I donno, I disagree but then again, I liked the Speed Racer movie and Ghost in the Shell.

Robin Williams put in a lot of money towards an Evangelion movie, only for them to lose the rights and they eventually just made Pacific Rim with all the work they put into it. And Pacific Rim is good. Matrix, inspired by Ghost in the Shell, was also pretty good.

Speed Racer is actually considered bad by normies because of reasons that have to do with it remaining overly faithful to the original property.
Mar 7, 2018 8:00 PM

Jun 2009
amk_2397 said:
Literally Monster is the only anime/manga I could see potentially working as a live action adaptation.

I would like to see it as a live action tv show or miniseries.
It doesn't need CGI since it's a realistic story taking place in the real world with no sci-fi or fantasy elements.
So it can be made.
Mar 7, 2018 8:02 PM

Apr 2017
velvetPhos said:
Cowboy Bebop and Monster seem to be possible to be good live action films if enough talent and money are gathered.

Haven't heard much about the Monster live adaptation in awhile but I'd like to see it if Toro ever makes it
Mar 7, 2018 8:13 PM

Nov 2013
Energetic-Nova said:
TheBigGuy said:

Regarding an One Piece live action movie, that will most probably rely so heavily on CGI, that they just as well could make a CGI movie. Which kind of defeats the purpose of an adaptation.

I donno, I disagree but then again, I liked the Speed Racer movie and Ghost in the Shell.

Robin Williams put in a lot of money towards an Evangelion movie, only for them to lose the rights and they eventually just made Pacific Rim with all the work they put into it. And Pacific Rim is good. Matrix, inspired by Ghost in the Shell, was also pretty good.

Speed Racer is actually considered bad by normies because of reasons that have to do with it remaining overly faithful to the original property.

If they take inspiration, then it usually works out. Plus Matrix was made by skilled people, who knew what they were doing. Same goes for Pacific Rim.

Ghost in the Shell, on the other hand, was directed by a guy, who only made Snow White and The Huntsman and commercials before. Not really the best choice.
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 7, 2018 8:17 PM

Feb 2015
-SP- said:
Nyah_Chan said:

Your getting caught up on the nationality part, that wasn't my intent. I just said that as one of the reasons, obviously this doesn't affect how well a movie does. The primary reasons why Live-actions by the West end up doing so bad is because of the story, they try to market it towards and uninterested crowd, no-one asks for them but they find a need to make them. You brought up how for the FMA and AOT film they only used Japanese actors, but that's a given since they wouldn't be able to find enough Caucasians to fill in the cast. However with Hollywood its a different story. The U.S happens to be one of the most diverse countries in the world, yet they couldn't find 4-5 Japanese actors to fill in the roles? You stated "The U.S will not produce a film in Japanese to a nation that speaks English and exists in a different culture... So it's a matter of translation between mediums between different countries with different languages and cultures... They're making live-action anime films for their country... So they will change things to suit the regular watcher.." For Japan your statement makes sense, since finding foreigners to fill in roles would be extremely difficult but again for the U.S it's not since there are plenty of Japanese actors in Hollywood. Again getting caught up on the ethnicity part wasn't my intent, I just said that as one of the factors since this seemed to be outrage when Netflix revealed the cast for the Death note film.

I guess so... The entire idea of Hollywood live-actions is just too big to cover in just a couple paragraphs... But I to agree that Netflix's Death Note was certainly an unwanted sex child
Mar 7, 2018 8:27 PM

Oct 2017
Nyah_Chan said:
-SP- said:

I guess so... The entire idea of Hollywood live-actions is just too big to cover in just a couple paragraphs... But I to agree that Netflix's Death Note was certainly an unwanted sex child

They could have easily pulled it off too, but something just went very wrong somewhere. Hollywood has the budget which most Japanese studios don't' but they don't choose their materials wisely. You mentioned Parasyte which I agree can be something easily pulled off by Hollywood and their budget, but instead they choose to do things like One Piece and Naruto which will just be another disaster due to the cheesy CGI and special effects required.
Mar 7, 2018 8:33 PM

Feb 2015
-SP- said:
Nyah_Chan said:

They could have easily pulled it off too, but something just went very wrong somewhere. Hollywood has the budget which most Japanese studios don't' but they don't choose their materials wisely. You mentioned Parasyte which I agree can be something easily pulled off by Hollywood and their budget, but instead they choose to do things like One Piece and Naruto which will just be another disaster due to the cheesy CGI and special effects required.

I surely will no disagree there... Like I said before... They would need the alter the original material so much just to fit into the live-action realm accurately... It'll probably be a mess...

They could completely pull it off though if they just took the concepts and abandoned the things only possible in anime/manga... But then it would only be a husk of the original so could you really call it Naruto or One Piece?... We'll have to see...

The upcoming Alita: Battle Angel was a good choice in material... But WTF is with the eye enlargement? Like it's way too much... I haven't read the manga so I can't say but... Why?!
Mar 7, 2018 8:37 PM

Jun 2011
TheBigGuy said:
Energetic-Nova said:

If they take inspiration, then it usually works out. Plus Matrix was made by skilled people, who knew what they were doing. Same goes for Pacific Rim.

Ghost in the Shell, on the other hand, was directed by a guy, who only made Snow White and The Huntsman and commercials before. Not really the best choice.

Not the best choice, but, consider for a moment that it is definitely their best work. I was pretty worried that the movie was actually bad before it even came out, but I was pleasantly surprised as I sat alone in the theater.... :/

That movie was really unfairly panned. It was a decent action cyberpunk film. Could it have been more faithful? Maybe. But it had plenty of little scenes which I feel were ripped straight from the anime.
Mar 7, 2018 8:38 PM

Dec 2016
Trigun I think would make a easy cross over to live action. I just wonder if it's too old now for kids to relate to?
Mar 7, 2018 8:44 PM

Dec 2016
Only seinen anime can work in a live-action adaptation, because they both look and are structured within the boundaries of realism. A Psycho-Pass live-action I think would look pretty good, if done carefully obviously.

Mecha shows, as proven in the past, can work great either. In general, any anime with a relatively realistic setting, with characters both looking realistic and doing realistic things, would work.

But most of the shonen stuff simply will never work. Underaged kids/teens doing unbelievable things, looks amazing in anime, but when you imagine the same characters doing the same unrealistic actions in real world, it just looks incredibly weird, ridiculous and ultimately laughable. It just DOESN'T WORK.

Also, in the process of adapting one of these animations into live-action, much of the charm of the anime, is simply lost in the eyes of the fans, and finally all what they get if they chose to see this live-actions, are bitter feelings.

Take Dragon Ball for example. Goku flies in the skies and from up there he throws blue energy beams from his bare hands. He also fights, punches and kicks at increible speed with the enemy in turn, up there too. In the anime, all this looks amazing and exiting. But if you try to imagine these same scenes in a live-action, it would just look weird and ridiculous, to a point that you get almost no enjoyment from them.

Also I don't think, while they generally are very realistic, sports anime would work either. Watching a game through the anime lenses, is not the same as watching a soccer or basketball match in a sports channel. People are used to watch those matches the way they are shown in these channels; panoramic views and from the sides, never showing the players from the front like it happens in anime. If the live-action tried to show the matches the same way the anime does, from the angles anime does, once again, it would look incredibly weird.

In short, what anime would work and which would't work, is a case by case analysis. But in general, only seinens, mechas and sols are adaptable, whether in the case of shonens and sports, I just can't think of one that would "look good" with real human beings in a real world.
SoldierDreamMar 7, 2018 8:47 PM
Mar 7, 2018 9:13 PM

Nov 2013
Energetic-Nova said:
TheBigGuy said:

Not the best choice, but, consider for a moment that it is definitely their best work. I was pretty worried that the movie was actually bad before it even came out, but I was pleasantly surprised as I sat alone in the theater.... :/

That movie was really unfairly panned. It was a decent action cyberpunk film. Could it have been more faithful? Maybe. But it had plenty of little scenes which I feel were ripped straight from the anime.

True. But the result was quite shallow.

My main gripe is, that they changed the plot for no good reason.

It is a decent action cyberpunk movie. But in the end, it felt more like a very loose interpretation of GitS than actually GitS.
TheBigGuyMar 7, 2018 9:17 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 16 minutes ago

2 by JKKH »»
23 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Yesterday

59 by AzafuseKingTora »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 1 hour ago

9 by Ricchan__ »»
22 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

36 by Vendicator »»
36 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Yesterday

36 by inim »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.