Forum Settings
Forums

[Fixed] Broken cookies / keep getting logged out / always stay logged in not working

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 7, 2019 10:11 PM

Apr 2007
So.... Nobody from MAL to respond here?
Jun 8, 2019 12:59 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@Phuein: Do you visit MAL every day or sometimes every 2-3 days? And do you get logged out when you visit MAL every day or only when you haven't visited the site in 2-3 days?
Jun 8, 2019 9:34 AM

Apr 2007
Luna said:
@Phuein: Do you visit MAL every day or sometimes every 2-3 days? And do you get logged out when you visit MAL every day or only when you haven't visited the site in 2-3 days?

Hi Luna. I visit the site probably every 2-3 days, but I always have the tab open in my chrome browser on the PC. That's about when I watch some new anime episode and update my list. More often than not, when I do this, I come to see myself logged out again (and again.)
Jun 10, 2019 3:32 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Phuein said:
Hi Luna. I visit the site probably every 2-3 days, but I always have the tab open in my chrome browser on the PC. That's about when I watch some new anime episode and update my list. More often than not, when I do this, I come to see myself logged out again (and again.)

But the tab is not reloading itself, right?

It's a known bug that you get logged out if you don't visit the site for a while (and it seems 2-3 days is enough to get logged out). The devs still need to fix it but the new dev team hasn't started working on bugs, so it can still take a while until it's fixed.

If your browser (or any extension) allows automatic reloading of tabs you could set up the MAL tab so that it automatically reloads once a day - this should prevent you from getting logged out.
Jun 10, 2019 11:33 AM

Apr 2007
Luna said:
It's a known bug that you get logged out if you don't visit the site for a while (and it seems 2-3 days is enough to get logged out). The devs still need to fix it but the new dev team hasn't started working on bugs, so it can still take a while until it's fixed.

If your browser (or any extension) allows automatic reloading of tabs you could set up the MAL tab so that it automatically reloads once a day - this should prevent you from getting logged out.

I don't know about tab reloading lol. If it's a known bug, then good luck fixing it soon! For now, knowing that it's probably the reloading thing, I'll just refresh it every day when I go on my PC.

Thanks for answering!
Jul 7, 2019 4:47 PM
Mar 2015
Luna said:
Sakagucci said:

Has this problem been fixed since? I've had the problem for quite some time now, but I hadn't bothered to look into it till now.

Not that I know of. About 2 weeks after I reported the problem the website went down and then there was the big security update for several months. But it doesn't seem that fixing this problem was part of it because it still occurs. We'll need to wait until our new owners start working on bug fixing.

This is still not fixed.
It's really sad, as a simple cookie isn't that hard to do... :(
Jul 8, 2019 10:00 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Akuma_no_Tsubasa said:
Luna said:

Not that I know of. About 2 weeks after I reported the problem the website went down and then there was the big security update for several months. But it doesn't seem that fixing this problem was part of it because it still occurs. We'll need to wait until our new owners start working on bug fixing.

This is still not fixed.

Yeah, unfortunately the development team still hasn't really started fixing bugs...

Kineta gave a status update about the situation in the latest announcement thread:

Kineta said:
Unrelated to the maintenance, I know some users have been feeling restless about the general silence regarding development of MAL from our new owners since the acquisition. Please remember that we're still going through a transition period and the new team is thoroughly familiarizing themselves with the site before making haphazard changes that may negatively impact our community. Our first order of agenda is the non-existent API situation left to us from last year, and we plan to have an announcement ready for everyone sometime this month.
Jul 24, 2019 7:40 AM
Sep 2015
bump

Keeps happening when I don't visit the site for a couple of days. Win10 and Chrome.
Jul 24, 2019 8:37 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Unfortunately I don't have any update about this bug (or any other bug) at this point of time. We can only wait a bit more...
Aug 7, 2019 11:53 AM

Apr 2007
Hey, any ETA on this fix? It doesn't seem like it should be a huge issue to fix, and it's been years this way. (I'm a programmer.)

It sucks every time a new batch of animes are out and I come here more.
Aug 11, 2019 6:22 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Phuein said:
Hey, any ETA on this fix?

Unfortunately no. The dev team is currently focussing on bringing back the API (for more infos see here). At this point I still don't know when they will start fixing non-priority bugs.
Sep 19, 2019 10:57 AM

Apr 2007
Luna said:
Phuein said:
Hey, any ETA on this fix?

Unfortunately no. The dev team is currently focussing on bringing back the API (for more infos see here). At this point I still don't know when they will start fixing non-priority bugs.

Hrm the issue still persists. It's been like this for years, really. Can google others complaining. How is this not fixed yet? Just don't log us out, unless we ask for it or something.
Dec 18, 2019 3:18 AM
Aug 2013
I have the same problem :(
Jan 29, 2020 7:16 AM
Mar 2011
Same problem, Firefox 72, Windows 10.
Feb 7, 2020 12:58 AM
May 2009
I have had this issue since joining this site way back in 09. Im not hopeful that it will be fixed.
Mar 20, 2020 9:17 AM
Mar 2019
And it still isn't fixed nine months later. Let's keep this as an updated chat. I have the same bug
Mar 21, 2020 6:30 AM

Feb 2012
Same here. Started this week out of the blue.
Mar 24, 2020 8:46 AM
Dec 2019
bump same issue
Mar 25, 2020 7:30 AM

Jun 2019
I'm suddenly getting signed out of MAL every half hour. Never happened before, just started recently.
Mar 25, 2020 8:53 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
23feanor said:
I'm suddenly getting signed out of MAL every half hour. Never happened before, just started recently.

Which browser and version of the browser?
Mar 25, 2020 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
Luna said:
23feanor said:

Which browser and version of the browser?

Thanks for the reply.

I've got Google Chrome on my mac. Just checked the "about google chrome" and it said "Version 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)".

Never done this before. I got a new phone recently, two months back and started using mal on my galaxy phone. That's the only change I can think of. Have changed my passwords just to be safe.
Mar 26, 2020 12:50 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@23feanor: The devs started looking into this cookie problem a few days ago so your problems could have to do with that.
Do you get logged out while you're browsing the website or after you're inactive for a while?

Is anyone else having this problem? (if so please state your browser + version and your operating system, thanks!)
Mar 26, 2020 2:25 AM

Jun 2019
@Luna I initially noticed that I was getting logged out after a couple of hours of inactivity, but in the last few days I'm getting logged out after only 10/20 mins (eg during me watching one anime episode I come back onto mal & I'm logged out).

Thanks for the info ^_^

Edit: it's getting worse. I was trying to reply to a PM just now & was getting consistently logged out every few mins. Lost my first draft of the message! I just got logged out again as I was trying to post this message!!!
23feanorMar 26, 2020 2:53 PM
Mar 27, 2020 9:24 PM

Dec 2013
@Rage_Beat06 has this same problem.
They are having me post because they cant stay logged in long enough to do anything.

They use Chrome, the newest update, (even reinstalled it and have no addons or any settings)
Previously they could stay logged in for 10 secs or more as they were always clicking other pages, but once 20 idle secs went by it logged them out.

Now its auto and they log in load a page and cannot do anything else.

They use MAL daily.
Mar 28, 2020 12:02 PM

May 2012
I have the same problem. I disconnect every minute or so. It has started around March 16th I'd say. I also use Chrome.
Mar 28, 2020 7:07 PM
Apr 2017
AngelShiva said:
I have the same problem. I disconnect every minute or so. It has started around March 16th I'd say. I also use Chrome.
yeah I have been having the same problem since around that time. Btw I use safari on my iPhone and ipad for Mal. I usually prefer to have it in the mobile site sense it's easier to navigate.
Mar 31, 2020 11:14 AM
Phantom Thief

Jan 2012
so somehow mine got fixed.
I defraged my system, installed all updates, and did a fresh install of chrome.
Apr 1, 2020 12:21 PM

Jan 2020
AngelShiva said:

Have tried different browsers?/update the browsers, disable extensions/add-ons, clear cookies&caches or try using vpn's /icognito mode.
Not really sure this works never had this problem since the day i join mal.

Made by k3ti
Jun 29, 2020 8:28 PM
Aug 2019
Just to refresh the problem, it has always happened to me as well. I use Chrome, W10. it has been like this for 2 years since I´m on MAL. And I always have Chrome updated. SO it has always happened no matter what Chrome version I use.
It happens if I´m away I think more than 2 days, and that´s is not much time. I can understand if let´s say, after a month the site Logged me out but after 2 or 3 days?!!
I used to think that maybe it was because I logged in with my google account, so I established a password but keeps happening, it´s just quicker now to log in because I don´t have to give permission every time with my google account.
Jul 4, 2020 8:53 PM
Aug 2017
Luna said:
Akuma_no_Tsubasa said:

This is still not fixed.

Yeah, unfortunately the development team still hasn't really started fixing bugs...

Kineta gave a status update about the situation in the latest announcement thread:

Kineta said:
Unrelated to the maintenance, I know some users have been feeling restless about the general silence regarding development of MAL from our new owners since the acquisition. Please remember that we're still going through a transition period and the new team is thoroughly familiarizing themselves with the site before making haphazard changes that may negatively impact our community. Our first order of agenda is the non-existent API situation left to us from last year, and we plan to have an announcement ready for everyone sometime this month.

Hi, it has been a year since this but I still have this problem, I've had it ever since I joined MAL 3 years ago, both on my phone and my PC, both of them on Chrome for those 3 years. Have there been any updates on this?
Jul 25, 2020 7:32 AM
Sep 2013
Allen1351 said:
Just to refresh the problem, it has always happened to me as well. I use Chrome, W10. it has been like this for 2 years since I´m on MAL. And I always have Chrome updated. SO it has always happened no matter what Chrome version I use.
It happens if I´m away I think more than 2 days, and that´s is not much time. I can understand if let´s say, after a month the site Logged me out but after 2 or 3 days?!!
I used to think that maybe it was because I logged in with my google account, so I established a password but keeps happening, it´s just quicker now to log in because I don´t have to give permission every time with my google account.

Exactly same as he, just only without google account.
Aug 1, 2020 3:46 PM
Mar 2015
Still waiting for this.
And I am really sorry... Setting a small cookie and reading it is definitely nothing that should take years. It's a thing of a few minutes up to an hour depending on the structure...
Aug 27, 2020 10:54 PM
Apr 2014
Same here, but I think it's "week away - auto log out" for me. Still would be better if it waits at least month
Oct 1, 2020 12:13 PM

May 2012
I can report the same issue. It's not always happening either; sometimes I can go many days without visiting the site without getting logged out. Another peculiarity is that I get sent back to the MyAnimelist frontpage if I get logged out, as in:

1. Log in to MAL.
2. Close the window, shut down the computer or whatever.
3. Some other day, open a MAL link to some anime from some external site, like reddit.
4. Get logged out and redirected to the MAL frontpage.
Nov 26, 2020 11:41 AM
Oct 2018
It's been a year and it's still not keeping me logged in. Oof
Dec 12, 2020 7:37 PM
Apr 2017
bumping again... how hard can this be to fix?
Dec 13, 2020 10:32 AM

May 2016
ortho said:
bumping again... how hard can this be to fix?

Very hard apparently. It's not clear mal still has devs working on the site to tell you the truth. It's been kind of going on autopilot for a couple of years.
Dec 13, 2020 10:34 AM

Jul 2020
lies, otherwise you couldn't post this ;)
Dec 18, 2020 3:28 AM
Oct 2015
so its been years for some others too and i used to think it might be just me... why is MAL this way
Dec 20, 2020 8:34 PM
Jul 2017
I still have this problem. I wonder if they even tried to solve it.
Dec 26, 2020 5:07 AM
Mar 2008
Don't imagine this will ever be fixed. It's indeed been like this for years and for no discernible reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 9, 2021 1:10 PM
Feb 2015
Yeah it still happens.. it's really annoying considering you think the function should work hows its supposed to work..
Jan 26, 2021 7:39 PM

May 2012
This is still happening in 2021. I'm using chrome (latest version) and I've even set chrome to accept cookies / not delete cookies from MAL. Big OOF
I can stop watching any time I want!
Mar 12, 2021 6:00 PM

May 2019
I don't know if I'm suffering from the same issue as everyone else, but I noticed I get logged out every time MAL changes their theme for holidays or events. Maybe that's what's going on?
Apr 20, 2021 5:35 AM
Jun 2017
I face the same problem. Really wish the Dev's would fix this man, this is the first site I've ever been on that keeps logging me out due to inactivity
Jun 4, 2021 9:11 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Threads merged.

The devs were finally able to identify the problem and have fixed it. You should no longer be logged out after just 2-3 days of not visiting the site. The length of being logged in with no activity should now be 14 days. If you've been inactive for more than these 14 days you will need to log in again.
Jun 4, 2021 9:24 AM
Mar 2015
Luna said:
Threads merged.

The devs were finally able to identify the problem and have fixed it. You should no longer be logged out after just 2-3 days of not visiting the site. The length of being logged in with no activity should now be 14 days. If you've been inactive for more than these 14 days you will need to log in again.

And it only took 3 Yeras.
Let's see if it really works.
If yes, please let us decide if we want a 14 day autologout. I am at my home computer and never log out of anything, as I am the only one using this PC.

Thanks
Jul 18, 2021 11:53 AM
May 2009
Akuma_no_Tsubasa said:
Luna said:
Threads merged.

And it only took 3 Yeras.
Let's see if it really works.
If yes, please let us decide if we want a 14 day autologout. I am at my home computer and never log out of anything, as I am the only one using this PC.

Thanks

was a problem for way longer than 3 years
Aug 1, 2021 9:07 PM

May 2016
Luna said:
Threads merged.

Is it fixed or are you guys just reframing it as a feature ("The length of being logged in with no activity should now be 14 days")? Why force an unnecessary logout? Crazy.
Aug 1, 2021 9:11 PM

Dec 2019
@rpgmaker

At least one of the benefits of it is for your own security!
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Yesterday, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Yesterday

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Yesterday, 3:44 AM

» Question about parental consent

AverageRiceFan - Apr 16

1 by CareBear »»
Yesterday, 2:55 AM

» On my profile I got the wrong number of total episodes/total time

GamiKhan - Apr 22

2 by GamiKhan »»
Apr 22, 2:58 PM

Sticky: » Advertisement Complaint Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 22, 2016

464 by traed »»
Apr 22, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.