Forum Settings
Forums

Bought the first 2 volumes, should I read the fan translations or wait for the official releases?

The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 5, 2018 11:38 PM

Jan 2016
As the long title states, I want to continue reading it but only 2 volumes have been released in English. Is the fan translation online good enough or do I have to wait for the official release?
Mar 6, 2018 5:35 PM

Jul 2014
The general consensus is that the fan translation is pretty great on its own (though I personally think the prose is only halfway decent at best, though that may be a fault with the original Japanese and not the translator), so you can probably just go with the fan translation, assuming you can find it.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 6, 2018 5:45 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Yen On's releases are definitely a bit better, but the fan translations are pretty good enough. Volumes 3-7 had noticeably better fan-translating than the first two volumes, so you could read the first two volumes you have, then jump into the fan-translations.

Do keep in mind that some terminologies are a bit different in both versions. "Flawed Bliss" from the fan translation is called "Misbegotten Happiness" in Yen On's version. "Sevennight in Mud" from the fan translation is called "Week in the Mud" in Yen On's version. "Rejecting Classroom" is kept the same in both version though.
Mar 7, 2018 1:32 AM

Jan 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Yen On's releases are definitely a bit better, but the fan translations are pretty good enough. Volumes 3-7 had noticeably better fan-translating than the first two volumes, so you could read the first two volumes you have, then jump into the fan-translations.

Do keep in mind that some terminologies are a bit different in both versions. "Flawed Bliss" from the fan translation is called "Misbegotten Happiness" in Yen On's version. "Sevennight in Mud" from the fan translation is called "Week in the Mud" in Yen On's version. "Rejecting Classroom" is kept the same in both version though.

Really helpful! Thanks

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

» Anime Adaptation possibility?

DarkHumor04 - Jan 11, 2022

14 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.