Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 27, 2010 1:10 AM

Mar 2009
Well, everyone's got their own opinions. If you don't like the fact that Gintama is currently #1, don't let that get to you. You're just getting worked up over nothing and it's not like by getting angry or arguing with pro-Gintama peeps is gonna change anything (except maybe increase your post count).
Mar 27, 2010 1:16 AM

Jun 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
(except maybe increase your post count).

We want the +1's. :D
Mar 27, 2010 1:18 AM

Mar 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
(except maybe increase your post count).

We want the +1's. :D

Yeah, I know you guys do, lol.
Mar 27, 2010 1:20 AM

Sep 2008
Oh I just noticed Gintama in 1st place. It's not April yet though...
Mar 27, 2010 1:22 AM

Nov 2007
everyone raging just dont know how MAL scoring goes since changes happen drastically when an anime's number of episodes is set. Gintama's scores have been pretty much the same the whole time...it was just now that the scores were calculated different and gave us what we have now.

btw more people need to watch Aria ;__;
Mar 27, 2010 1:30 AM

Jul 2009
5layer said:

Oh.. Another hater..
Mar 27, 2010 1:49 AM

Apr 2009
This thread=amusing.
Trolls will make it drop anyway. -takes a screenie-
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 27, 2010 2:00 AM

Oct 2008
ive watched 70 episodes of Gintama it has some pretty funny episodes, but also horrible episodes so im not sure to watch it again maybe...
Mar 27, 2010 2:00 AM

Sep 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
Baman said:
T h e - t o p - a n i m e - l i s t - p o r t r a y s - p o p u l a r i t y, - n o t - q u a l i t y.

And once more;

T h e - t o p - a n i m e - l i s t - p o r t r a y s - p o p u l a r i t y, - n o t - q u a l i t y.

If that were true, stuff like LotGH and Aria the Origination would not be anywhere near the top 10. Stuff like Bleach and Naruto would be taking their place. I don't think "popularity" is the word you are looking for.
No, popularity is the right word. "Popularity" implies being well-known as well as well-liked. Naruto and Bleach are the former, but not necessarily the latter.

LoGH and Aria aren't as well-known, but they're so well-liked that they make the list anyway.
Mar 27, 2010 2:22 AM

Nov 2007
last week, i finally picked up (and finished twice) Sleeping with Hinako since I noticed how long it has been the top sleeping anime in MAL, but wtf, theres not anime better than Sleeping with Hinako, did someone spam account and made Gintama No.1 or something?

Sleeping with Hinako is so obviously the No.1
Mar 27, 2010 2:28 AM

Jun 2008
naikou said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Baman said:

And once more;

If that were true, stuff like LotGH and Aria the Origination would not be anywhere near the top 10. Stuff like Bleach and Naruto would be taking their place. I don't think "popularity" is the word you are looking for.
No, popularity is the right word. "Popularity" implies being well-known as well as well-liked. Naruto and Bleach are the former, but not necessarily the latter.

LoGH and Aria aren't as well-known, but they're so well-liked that they make the list anyway.

Meh, maybe. I don't consider being well-known and well-liked the same thing because they can often be mutually exclusive. I consider something that's popular to be well-known but not necessarily well-liked.

I mean, if only 50 people had seen something but all rated it 10 and it became #1 as a result, which you consider that popular? Similarly, if the top 10 list really does show popularity, why is Bleach not anywhere near it when it clearly has more viewers than almost anything else?
Mar 27, 2010 3:20 AM

May 2009
bakayaro-dude said:
ive watched 70 episodes of Gintama it has some pretty funny episodes, but also horrible episodes so im not sure to watch it again maybe...

yeah i noticed there also were some horrible episodes...
but guess what, i checked the filler list and those episodes were actually filler )
so thats why some of them were bad
Mar 27, 2010 4:12 AM

Jul 2008
leungclj said:
Code Geass R2 - watched by 68553 ppl, 49663 ppl scored. 4th place
Gintama - watched by 26029 ppl, 6857 ppl scored. 1st place

still dont sound right to me

tbh, I dont mind not seeing Clannad in the first place, since CG R2, TTGL and CLANNAD are all my top anime, but Gintama No.1.... bug?

Why don't you actually go and watch Gintama before assuming its worthless.

Baka_xD said:
@technominator, i respect your opinion, but i dont like when people judge the hole series based on 8 EPISODES. God its like judging a book by its first 3 pages...

THIS
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Mar 27, 2010 4:25 AM

Sep 2008
WoofSadaharu said:
5layer said:

Oh.. Another hater..
Although it was quite clearly coming across as that, I actually very much like the show.
Mar 27, 2010 5:20 AM

Jan 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Baman said:

And once more;

Now, repeat this for as long as necessary until you stop caring about the ratings.

People should be doing this, though, at least to a certain extent. Looking at all the posts in this topic and the other one tell me a lot of people need this advice.

it is true cause if u think about it, popularity means more people and usually more people watch generic long series shit like naruto bleach onepiece, (glad theyre not anywhere near top) most anime watchers around me havnt even seen any real shit and therefore around my school bleach and naruto is win, everything else is crap.
Needs more Drill Hair.
Mar 27, 2010 5:23 AM
Nov 2008
After reading this thread, I'll be sure to give it a 10.

Mar 27, 2010 5:26 AM

Apr 2009
Err, animes that go to top are well recived in audience that actually watching them. It's pretty much what many of previous comments meant.

^On this site.

@ShiroiNoKiwi, epic signature "quote" x)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Mar 27, 2010 5:43 AM

Oct 2007
Lailai-kun said:
it is true cause if u think about it, popularity means more people and usually more people watch generic long series shit like naruto bleach onepiece, (glad theyre not anywhere near top) most anime watchers around me havnt even seen any real shit and therefore around my school bleach and naruto is win, everything else is crap.

You stupid noob didn't even watch One Piece.

But naruto pretty much as dumb as clannad and kannon and bleach althogether ... none of those should be near the top.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2010 6:10 AM

Apr 2009
K-On is so obviously the No.1
Mar 27, 2010 6:30 AM

Jul 2009
lol @ rating drama
Mar 27, 2010 6:51 AM

Jan 2010
wtf just happened,why is this #1 suddenly,with more than 0.05 in front of Clannad?xD

stupid no-life trolls -_-

also notice that clannad went down from 9.04 to 9.03

GET A FREAKIN JOB dude that made this "possible"
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 27, 2010 7:04 AM
Mar 2010

Just as planned!
Mar 27, 2010 7:05 AM

Mar 2009
Sand_Alchemist said:

Just as planned!

This.
Mar 27, 2010 7:13 AM
Nov 2008
CyberPh0enix said:

@ShiroiNoKiwi, epic signature "quote" x)

:3

Zell182 said:
lol @ rating drama

Pretty much.

Mar 27, 2010 7:16 AM

Jul 2009
clannad4ever said:

AnagnorisisMar 27, 2010 7:19 AM
Mar 27, 2010 7:16 AM

Aug 2009
Sand_Alchemist said:

Just as planned!

Awesome.
Mar 27, 2010 7:42 AM

Aug 2008
clannad4ever said:
wtf just happened,why is this #1 suddenly,with more than 0.05 in front of Clannad?xD

You obviously don't read threads fully...
Mar 27, 2010 8:00 AM

Jul 2007
llamaben said:
clannad4ever said:

You obviously don't read threads fully...

I find it ironic that someone calling herself clannad4ever and never seen Gintama comes to Gintama forum to bitch about trolls.... at least she's not one of the pathetic clannad fans that add Gintama just to rate it 1... I've never seen Clannad but didn't think its fans were this pathetic.
Mar 27, 2010 8:11 AM
Dec 2009
For those who don't understand why this happened, alot of people believe rating a show before finishing it is a bad move. At the end of a show may emotionally affect someone whose a big fan, especially someone who has watched a long anime such as gintama. Many people will up their ratings when a show finishes, likely overtime the rating will fall, it's just at this point all the huge fans of the series massively 10 starred the show at the same time. Once the hype dies, many people will bring the series down again to a more realistic level.
Mar 27, 2010 8:26 AM

Aug 2008
cyx77 said:
For those who don't understand why this happened, alot of people believe rating a show before finishing it is a bad move. At the end of a show may emotionally affect someone whose a big fan, especially someone who has watched a long anime such as gintama. Many people will up their ratings when a show finishes, likely overtime the rating will fall, it's just at this point all the huge fans of the series massively 10 starred the show at the same time. Once the hype dies, many people will bring the series down again to a more realistic level.
Another person who hasn't read the thread fully.

What you are saying is valid, and is the reason Gintama rose from 9.09 to 9.10, but not from 8.46 to 9.09. It went up by .63 because MAL's rating system excludes people who have seen less than 1/5 of the series. For Gintama, thats 38-39 eps, and almost half of all ratings for the series (don't ask why more than half the ratings come from people who have seen less than 39 eps...). These 5000 odd votes were counted when the series had no set episode count, but are not anymore, raising the rating.

Also, Gintama doesn't really start getting to the "Masterpiece" level until it changes from being mostly episodic to often being small arc-based, which also happens to be around episode 39.

And yes, the rating will fall over time. But only because of trolls.
llamabenMar 27, 2010 8:40 AM
Mar 27, 2010 8:26 AM

Aug 2009
cyx77 said:

Is that why After Story was number 1 for like a year and a half?
Mar 27, 2010 8:42 AM

Nov 2008
Now it's the way it should be. Sorry.
Mar 27, 2010 8:56 AM

Jul 2007
Zell182 said:
lol @ rating drama

This.
Mar 27, 2010 9:04 AM

Jan 2009
Zell182 said:
lol @ rating drama

Yeah.

But I do believe that people who haven't seen Gintama yet but have seen [Clannad/TTGL/CG 2/whatever] really can't have a say on this.

It's not like you've seen Gintama to know and understand why it got such a high score upon finishing.
My brain: Yorozuya Gin-chan -> Yozakura Quartet = Yorozuya Quartet (this is how much Gintama has affected me).
Mar 27, 2010 9:14 AM

Jul 2007
msdoodles said:
Zell182 said:
lol @ rating drama

Yeah.

But I do believe that people who haven't seen Gintama yet but have seen [Clannad/TTGL/CG 2/whatever] really can't have a say on this.

It's not like you've seen Gintama to know and understand why it got such a high score upon finishing.

Pfft, like that would be important for people who are butt hurt. They go to the point of creating accounts to prop Clannad's rating. Sad, sad.
Mar 27, 2010 9:24 AM

Nov 2007
Fukiri said:

Pfft, like that would be important for people who are butt hurt. They go to the point of creating accounts to prop Clannad's rating. Sad, sad.

yep, you're right on cue as well

http://myanimelist.net/profile/neekerinpoika
http://myanimelist.net/profile/tsintson
http://myanimelist.net/profile/sealygirl
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Thaaz
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Quaetrix
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MattPerry
http://myanimelist.net/profile/niggnigg

butthurt much?
Mar 27, 2010 9:31 AM

Aug 2009
game8910 said:
Fukiri said:

yep, you're right on cue as well

http://myanimelist.net/profile/neekerinpoika
http://myanimelist.net/profile/tsintson
http://myanimelist.net/profile/sealygirl
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Thaaz
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Quaetrix
http://myanimelist.net/profile/MattPerry
http://myanimelist.net/profile/niggnigg

butthurt much?

That's pathetic...
Mar 27, 2010 9:38 AM

Sep 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
naikou said:

Meh, maybe. I don't consider being well-known and well-liked the same thing because they can often be mutually exclusive. I consider something that's popular to be well-known but not necessarily well-liked.

I mean, if only 50 people had seen something but all rated it 10 and it became #1 as a result, which you consider that popular? Similarly, if the top 10 list really does show popularity, why is Bleach not anywhere near it when it clearly has more viewers than almost anything else?
MAL factors in the number of people who've watched a show into the rating equation, so a show with only 50 viewers can't even get into the top anime.

Look at it this way - suppose there was someone who everyone knew, but hated. Would you consider that person popular? Not at all - you'd say they were unpopular, even.

The same thing goes for anime. Bleach isn't as popular as you'd think because a lot of people on MAL don't care for it, even though a ton of people have seen it.
Mar 27, 2010 10:02 AM

Nov 2008
Years ago, I finally picked up (and watched many times) Princess Mononoke since everybody was talking about it, but wtf, there's not anime better than Princess Mononoke, did someone spam account and made Gintama No.1 or something?

Princess Mononoke is so obviously the No.1
Mar 27, 2010 10:10 AM

Oct 2009
I was so shocked when I saw this anime was #1... Clannad AS was the perfectly realistic-artful-emotional anime that touched many hearts. But suddenly this show. a Shounen/Parody/Comedy anime to b #1 is definitely "what!??!" popularity wise i'm sure it'll win but i really can't see it.
Mar 27, 2010 10:27 AM

Jul 2007
hazelinventado said:
I was so shocked when I saw this anime was #1... Clannad AS was the perfectly realistic-artful-emotional anime that touched many hearts. But suddenly this show. a Shounen/Parody/Comedy anime to b #1 is definitely "what!??!" popularity wise i'm sure it'll win but i really can't see it.

Excuse me, but how can you judge what is better if you haven't even seen Gintama? Maybe it's not just a Shounen/Parody/Comedy anime? If you actually gave it a chance you'd see it's a unique show (with a lot of deep emotional moments too) and it deserves a 10, and believe me I don't hand out 10s freely.

I haven't seen Clannad since it's not my type of genre, but I certainly won't go bash it just because ppl like it enough to rate it high. And imo there are a lot of "realistic-artful-emotional" anime out there, Gintama there is only one.

Until next week I hope ^^
Mar 27, 2010 10:38 AM

Jan 2010
jesus this really is sad,even though i like clannad :\

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/tsintson
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Mar 27, 2010 10:46 AM

Apr 2009
clannad4ever said:
jesus this really is sad,even though i like clannad :

Ah...it has begun. DUN DUN DUN~
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 27, 2010 10:58 AM

Jul 2009
clannad4ever said:

I can make more than 100 accounts to rate After Story 1. You wanna dare me?

Even though I love Clannad, I hate its idiotic fans, I WILL DO IT.
Mar 27, 2010 11:34 AM

Jan 2010
WoofSadaharu said:
clannad4ever said:

only if you wanna become a deuche... :)

i'm not gonna rate Gintama with 1,it's just lame
actually i guess i'm gonna give it a try sometime :-)
Sayonara,papa!

~Athena Glory,Aria

Mar 27, 2010 11:39 AM

Jul 2009
clannad4ever said:
WoofSadaharu said:
clannad4ever said:

only if you wanna become a deuche... :)

i'm not gonna rate Gintama with 1,it's just lame
actually i guess i'm gonna give it a try sometime :-)

I already am a douche, and I don't care. If it means shutting up you childish idiots, then so be it.

Man.. I've been infected. I'm already acting childish! :))
Mar 27, 2010 11:47 AM
Mar 2010
People who haven't watched at least half of gintama are no where near having the right to judge it. The quality and level of the show improves so dramatically over time. The very fact that people are judging it as a shonen-parody-comedy shows how little they know about the show itself, that they're judging it based on the first few episodes. Here is a simplistic view of how the show scales

On scale 1-10
Rating by:
episode 1-12: 4 or 5, I was very unimpressed and wondered why my friends told me to watch this crap

episode 1-24: 6ish ehh there were some enjoyable moments but overall it seemed like a waste of my time to watch a sea of episodes that seemed rather meh, for a couple good moments

episodes 25-40: 6-8 the show is started to do interesting things, im starting to understand the show's humor more, and the characters are making sense and starting to grow on me.

Episode 50+ Gintama starts having actual story arcs, and they're awesome: 10
episode 100+: something beyond a 10, most of the episodes at this point are filled with incredibly good moments. As people have said earlier, the show has a great mix of action, emotion, and of course humor. They do risky and new things for the sake of fresh amusement and humor. Most importantly, even though the show has spread into many many categories, it does them ALL VERY VERY WELL, often better than other shows.
The action scenes in this show while short, are more intense and dramatic than many lesser shows. The emotional impressions the main characters and supporting characters can leave on you are at times so strong. There is no hint within the first few episodes to the amazing quality and diversity this show eventually expands into.

Theres no logical way to make a top list, without firmly defining things like quality and popularity and other qualifiers into immutable objective conditions, however since people are different that isn't really a real option. It might not be the most X show, and it might not be a show that everyone would stick at their #1 position but it is dam.n good at being entertaining and endearing, enough so that i don't think people would'nt be so surprised or upset to see it high in a list if they actually watched it.

I personally watched hundreds of series, and though i enjoyed many, i never watched anything that was quite as satisfying as gintama. Some shows had better X or Y, or were more moving at times, or had a bigger impact in some kind of way. But in the end, id regret not having watched gintama over those shows. ( but yes the first few episodes were really discouraging to me, but thats precisely why judging it without having seen a majority of it makes no sense. )
MerlayzeMar 27, 2010 12:00 PM
Mar 27, 2010 11:50 AM

Jan 2008
Well, it all comes down to mods banning multiple accounts (including the main one). Static IP's only though. Some people are too stupid to use proxy so there should be some sad faces at the end of the day.

It's important to remember that such drama happens whenever there are shuffles in the top 5. The last time it happened, it was LotGH I think.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Mar 27, 2010 11:52 AM

Jul 2009
kashim said:
Well, it all comes down to mods banning multiple accounts (including the main one). Static IP's only though. Some people are too stupid to use proxy so there should be some sad faces at the end of the day.

It's important to remember that such drama happens whenever there are shuffles in the top 5. The last time it happened, it was LotGH I think.

Woot! I hope you're right.
Mar 27, 2010 12:09 PM

Jan 2008
WoofSadaharu said:
kashim said:

Woot! I hope you're right.

Well , there's some banning going on ( there's a topic somewhere where you can report them) but I don't know if they ever banned a main account (of the person creating those multiple). If not, they should consider it.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

88 by decco6226 »»
Apr 16, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 )

llamaben - Aug 19, 2009

98 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

64 by ilovelidya »»
Apr 13, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 123 Discussion ( 1 2 )

85 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 13, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.