Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 4, 2018 2:54 AM

Mar 2016
8.63 is really high but then again i have been fooled by high ratings before.

I do like dramas and stuff like that. Is this show similar to Honey and clover or san gatsu?

I rarely watch Josei animes mainly because its meant for women and doesnt usually appeal to me but there i exceptions to every rule i suppose.

I just wanna know what i can expect if i start watching this show. Is the show over and if so did it have a proper ending? Does romance play an important role?
Is it slow or fast paced?

If anyone could answer any of these questions it would be much appreciated.

Mar 4, 2018 5:54 AM
Sep 2011
Overall, I think it's very good, but slightly overrated (second season is currently rated 8.87, which puts it in virtual God-tier category.)

I'll try to avoid major spoilers, but no guarantees.

1) Relationships are a major aspect to the show, but (unlike Honey and Clover, IMO) romance is dealt with in a very pragmatic fashion -- not every sexual relationship ends happily or with a clean break for the individuals involved. All that said, non-romantic friendship/kinship between the main characters is honestly the more prominent subject.

2) Pacing is quite slow, as is typical for josei (and many seinen).

3) The male leads are really good, but I find the females to be a bit cookie-cutter. The strongest point to the series for me is its very good handling of unreliable narration and subjective storytelling. Don't want to risk spoiling anything, so I'll leave it at that.

My suspicion is that there are dozens of series on your PTW list that you would enjoy more than this series. I consider Honey and Clover to be somewhere between shoujo and josei on the spectrum, while this series is on the deep josei end, if that makes any sense.
ClodRakerMar 4, 2018 6:07 AM
Mar 4, 2018 5:56 AM

Apr 2016
Shows with pretty boys tend to be overrated on MAL so its all on your personal preferences.
Mar 4, 2018 5:59 AM

Sep 2014
I definitely think the rating it has on MAL is accurate. Unique premise, fleshed out characters, and great execution.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Mar 4, 2018 6:10 AM
Sep 2011
I will give the series a bit of credit. It was released a season or two before Yuri on Ice, and I predicted both would fall off quite a bit ratings-wise. I was correct with regards to Yuri on Ice (which was at one point ranked as a better anime than Nana, which is beyond hilarious), but so far this one has proven me wrong.
ClodRakerMar 4, 2018 6:15 AM
Mar 4, 2018 6:20 AM

Mar 2016
ClodRaker said:
Overall, I think it's very good, but slightly overrated (second season is currently rated 8.87, which puts it in virtual God-tier category.)

I'll try to avoid major spoilers, but no guarantees.

1) Relationships are a major aspect to the show, but (unlike Honey and Clover, IMO) romance is dealt with in a very pragmatic fashion -- not every sexual relationship ends happily or with a clean break for the individuals involved. All that said, non-romantic friendship/kinship between the main characters is honestly the more prominent subject.

2) Pacing is quite slow, as is typical for josei (and many seinen).

3) The male leads are really good, but I find the females to be a bit cookie-cutter. The strongest point to the series for me is its very good handling of unreliable narration and subjective storytelling. Don't want to risk spoiling anything, so I'll leave it at that.

My suspicion is that there are dozens of series on your PTW list that you would enjoy more than this series. I consider Honey and Clover to be somewhere between shoujo and josei on the spectrum, while this series is on the deep josei end, if that makes any sense.

I honestly dont mind spoilers that much so feel free to spoil as much as you want if it helps me better understand what kind of show it is.

Could you atleast tell me if the show has a proper ending? Animes tend to often leave us hanging which i absolutely despise.
Mar 4, 2018 8:03 AM
Sep 2011
Yes. The second season has a very definitive ending.
Mar 4, 2018 10:16 AM

Mar 2016
ClodRaker said:
Yes. The second season has a very definitive ending.

Thanks for answering my question.
Mar 5, 2018 6:57 PM

Apr 2017
A bit late since you’ve already started watching, but yes this anime really does deserve all the praise it gets! I started watching because of everyone saying it’s amazing, and I was going into it a bit critically. However, I completely agree with them. The second season is rated even higher than the first, and it has a really clear and well-written conclusion.

As for the people who dislike it, most of their reasons are that it’s too boring for them. If you’ve gotten this far without dropping it then you’ll be able to get through the rest.
Mar 6, 2018 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
GlowingAura said:
A bit late since you’ve already started watching, but yes this anime really does deserve all the praise it gets! I started watching because of everyone saying it’s amazing, and I was going into it a bit critically. However, I completely agree with them. The second season is rated even higher than the first, and it has a really clear and well-written conclusion.

As for the people who dislike it, most of their reasons are that it’s too boring for them. If you’ve gotten this far without dropping it then you’ll be able to get through the rest.

I am pretty much in love with the show right now. Glad i started watching it.
Mar 19, 2018 10:49 AM

Mar 2013
Glad you decided to check it out!!! I fell in love with it myself, it's a beautiful show.
Apr 8, 2018 4:18 AM
Jul 2017
Yes it's as good as people say if not better. Simply put it's a masterpiece of film making. It's up there with films from famous directors from film and anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.