Forum Settings
Forums

Do you prefer to watch Anime with a balanced gender cast ?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Poll: Do you prefer to watch Anime with a balanced gender cast ?

Mar 3, 9:16 AM
Guys, do you prefer to watch Anime with a balanced gender cast ?

There are many shows that are non-harems, as only 1 or 2 girls harbors romantic feelings for the MC, but despite that the cast is all female except the MC, and even if there's at least one male character, it's either a trap or a gay, like an example, the guy from Haganai and Rakudai Kishi. Netoge no Yome also had an unbalanced gender cast, with all of the cast being females except for the MC, despite only 1 girl having romantic feelings towards the MC.

I avoid watching such shows with an unbalanced gender cast, where the MC's friends or comrades in his group are all of the opposite gender, and I prefer watching shows with a balanced gender cast, like in Darling in the Franxx, and the soon-to-be-aired Kenja no Mago anime, where the MC also has friends or comrades of the same gender.

In Darling in the Franxx, all the characters on the MC's side are all gender balanced, with 5 boys and 5 girls. It's a similar setting in Kenja no Mago, where all of MC's friends in his group consists of a balanced gender cast of 6 boys including the MC and 6 girls. Those 6 boys are Shin, August, Julius, Thor, Tony, and Mark while those 6 girls are Cecily, Maria, Alice, Rin, Yuri, and Olivia. I didn't add another 2 more female characters to the list by the names of Elly and May, as they are not MC's classmates and are just supporting characters.

Another Light Novel which has yet to get an Anime, by the title of "Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho" also has a balanced gender cast, as the female MC of it has a balanced number of both female and male friends, unlike that Yuri crap, "Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi De tte Itta Yo Ne", where the female MC has mostly female friends, and that Pseudo Reverse Harem LN by the title of "Isekai de Kuro no Iyashi Te tte Yobarete Imasu", where the female MC only has 1-2 female friends and the rest of the cast are 4-5 Ikemen male characters she frequently interacts with.

In contrast to those 2 novels, the cast in Tensei Shoujo is more gender balanced, with the female MC having 3 female friends, and 2 male friends in her magic school, with 1 more male character 2 years older than the MC acting as her "Non-blood related elder brother figure", whose name is Cain.

Tensei Shoujo, just like Kenja no Mago, doesn't feature a reverse harem for the female MC too, as only one boy will harbor strong romantic feelings for the MC, but she has yet to be aware of that boy's feelings yet. I like that boy, as he not only has a sweet romantic feelings for the female MC, but I also find his rivalry based interactions with another female magician who's also MC's friend quite entertaining to read. Since he's not romantically interested in any girl except for the MC, he only treats MC's other female friends as just friends or rivals in magic usage skills. That boy also has a close male friend who's also friends with the MC, so the female MC really has a balanced number of friends from both genders.

I also find it quite endearing to read a scene where he reacts with boredom and indifference at being presented fiancee candidate girls by his mother, as he has no interest in any girl except for the MC. So, that's also why I liked both Mago and Tensei Shoujo, as the male and female MCs of both novels only has one person from the opposite gender being very passionately romantically interested in those MCs, and the cast is also gender balanced because those 2 MCs have an equal number of friends from both genders.

Those 2 novels/manga has entertained me a million times more than any harem or reverse harem titles I have read or watched before, and it's all thanks to the gender balanced casts in those 2 stories.

The character designs for the male cast in Kenja no Mago as I've seen in the Manga are all very varied and distinct for each of them, with varied hairstyles, myriad facial designs, and hair colors, which are unlike the male cast in Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, where all the males have only black hair and similar hairstlye and generic or plain facial design. In fact, Mago has lots of Bishounen characters too as well as Bishoujos, as August and Tony looks pretty handsome like Bishounens too in the Manga, while the female cast consist of some cuties and pretty Bishoujos too, like Cecily, Maria, Elly, Alice, and Olivia.

So, do you prefer to watch Anime with a balanced gender cast ?

P/S : By the way, I not only avoid watching shows where the MC has friends of only the opposite gender, I also avoid all-males and all-females shows, where the MC only has friends of the same gender. In other words, I prefer watching shows with a gender balanced cast, like in Darling in the Franxx and Kenja no Mago, and also novels with such a cast, like in Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho.

I heard that Kokoro Connect had a nearly balanced gender cast too, with 2 boys and 3 girls, as well as in Tari Tari too, so I think those 2 shows somewhat meet that requirement narrowly. That doesn't matter much anyway, as I only prefer gender balanced casts in shows with Action and Battle/fighting elements, like in Franxx and Mago.

Having a gender balanced cast in shows would also make a perfect environment for setting up multiple romantic pairings, as I love watching shows with Multiple Couples, like in Kenja no Mago.
Modified by CoolitzHubertXVI, Mar 3, 9:33 AM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.

Mar 3, 9:17 AM
Hell no, i don't want to watch anime full of sausages.
GangsterCat said:
because there is no good yuri manga. it's always melodramatic love story of a confused hetero and a turbo dyke sexual offender

Mar 3, 9:18 AM

i want a harem not a political agenda

Mar 3, 9:19 AM

No, I'm very heavily biased towards shows mostly made of cute females and I see that changing approximately never.
Modified by Lisbon, Mar 3, 10:12 AM

Mar 3, 9:19 AM

Not gonna read that wall of text, i honestly dont care whether it's balanced or not. It's such a small aspect of a show that i had never even thought about it until now.

Mar 3, 9:21 AM

That would be too heavy on the character cast, you can't just shove 100+ characters for each different gender.

Mar 3, 9:21 AM
assyrian said:

I think this speaks for most of us.
30 char limit
"Nobody ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful."

Mar 3, 9:22 AM

If balanced gender cast means that every girl will have her partner
then i prefer it over unbalanced gender cast

If balanced gender cast will still have some disgusting love triangle like in franxx darling
then it can get lost in the depth of hell
Modified by tragedydesu, Mar 3, 9:26 AM

Mar 3, 9:23 AM

As long as it passes bechdel test, it's fine either way.

Mar 3, 9:27 AM

Ahem, @Sonal1988 uwu

OT: Is this a harem thread, I didn't read.

"I always had a repulsive need to be
something more than human.
I felt very puny as a human. I thought,
'Fuck that. I want to be a superhuman"
-Kira Yoshikage

Mar 3, 9:28 AM

no i prefer to watch it with a balanced diet.

Mar 3, 9:30 AM

Never cared about the gender of the cast. Could watch a show full of one gender just fine

Mar 3, 9:31 AM

-Lofn- said:
Ahem, @Sonal1988 uwu

OT: Is this a harem thread, I didn't read.

Answer: Yes, I do prefer anime where the ratio of men and women isn't 10:1, until and unless it's ecchi or a harem or any similar genre.
She is both hellfire and holy water. And the flavour you taste, depends on how you treat her.

– Sneha Paal

Mar 3, 9:32 AM
Sonal1988 said:
Answer: Yes, I do prefer anime where the ratio of men and women isn't 10:1, until and unless it's ecchi or a harem or any similar genre.

I bet you wouldn't mind ratio of men to be 100% of entire cast.
GangsterCat said:
because there is no good yuri manga. it's always melodramatic love story of a confused hetero and a turbo dyke sexual offender

Mar 3, 9:36 AM

Swagernator said:

Try as hard as you want, but you can't make me start, or be a part of, dumb ass arguments on the internet. I'm too old and too smart for that.
She is both hellfire and holy water. And the flavour you taste, depends on how you treat her.

– Sneha Paal

Mar 3, 9:42 AM

It depends a lot on the show. I tend to prefer anime with either mostly females or a mix of both (both is cute, even if there isn't any canon romance), but I tend not to like anime with all or mostly guys as much. If it's an all guy main cast but there's a lot of good female supporting characters then it can still be good.

Mar 3, 9:43 AM

feels like i'm reading a gamefaqs walkthrough lol

i usually prefer anime with more girls, or equal girls

Mar 3, 9:43 AM

Yes I do a whole bunch of boy swarming one girl or a whole bunch of girl swarming one boy doesn't appeal to me at least.

I always prefer shows that has a balanced gender cast it's more enjoyable that way.

Mar 3, 9:44 AM

Gender, in my opinion, is irrelevant when it comes to a story. While I typically relate better to female characters, I don't really mind. Some of my favourite series (i.e. Fate/Zero) have a cast with a majority of male characters but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the series.

Mar 3, 9:51 AM

-Lofn- said:
Is this a harem thread, I didn't read.

not really, but part of me wants to say "might as well be" just because of who the OP is and his long, extensive history on those topics and how easily this topic could creep over into that one, but ostensibly no

nobody is missing anything by not reading it honestly, the meat of the post can be whittled down to "OP likes it when anime has balanced gender ratios and dislikes it when they have unbalanced gender ratios"

doesn't really offer anything at all in the way of why he's saying that and it can be assumed to just be personal taste, i.e. this doesn't even need to be a thread because it's not even posing a question or topic to be discussed for the most part aside from the question he tacked on at the end, and the rest of it is just basically a collection of statements amounting to "I like it when anime has balanced gender ratios in their casts. Here is the name of a series that has that. I like this series. I don't like it when gender ratios are unbalanced. I won't watch an anime with an unbalanced gender ratio in casting." over and over again

y'know, the normal with him if you've ever sat down and read his walls of text, there's not really any substantive arguments, per usual with hubert, the whole thing is really drawn out and artificially elongated through copious amounts of fluff (again, as usual, i'd wager it could be 75 - 90% shorter than it ended up being and might even have had a place as a topic and not just a blog post with a question merely tacked on towards the end to justify it existing as a discussion thread) rather than trying to explain stuff as thoroughly as he can and it becoming long through that way

----

just pulling a tl;dr of the OP from what i wrote above, for anybody in need of one:

TL;DR said:
it is just basically a collection of statements amounting to "I like it when anime has balanced gender ratios in their casts. Here is the name of a series that has that. I like this series. I don't like it when gender ratios are unbalanced. I won't watch an anime with an unbalanced gender ratio in casting." over and over again
Modified by Lisbon, Mar 3, 10:00 AM

Mar 3, 9:54 AM
Nana Deviluke❤️

Gender is unimportant to me honestly
after all the quality of the character is what matters and thats not something which is decided by gender

Mar 3, 9:58 AM

Manaban said:
-Lofn- said:
Is this a harem thread, I didn't read.

not really, but part of me wants to say "might as well be" just because of who the OP is and his long, extensive history on those topics and how easily this topic could creep over into that one, but ostensibly no

nobody is missing anything by not reading it honestly, the meat of the post can be whittled down to "OP likes it when anime has balanced gender ratios and dislikes it when they have unbalanced gender ratios"

doesn't really offer anything at all in the way of why he's saying that and it can be assumed to just be personal taste, i.e. this doesn't even need to be a thread because it's not even posing a question or topic to be discussed for the most part aside from the question he tacked on at the end, the rest of him is just basically a collection of statements amounting to "I like it when anime has balanced gender ratios in their casts. Here is the name of a series that has that. I like this series."

y'know, the normal with him if you've ever sat down and read his walls of text, there's not really any substantive arguments, per usual with hubert, the whole thing is really drawn out and artificially elongated through copious amounts of fluff (again, as usual, i'd wager it could be 75 - 90% shorter than it ended up being and might even have had a place as a topic and not just a blog post with a question merely tacked on towards the end to justify it existing as a discussion thread) rather than trying to explain stuff as thoroughly as he can and it becoming long through that way

Wait. You mean people read Hubert's OP?

Mar 3, 9:59 AM

I'll watch any show regardless of the dominating gender, I don't really care as long as I want to watch that show.

as for harems, I don't care either.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Mar 3, 10:00 AM
I don't really mind either way, I don't think that the genders affect the show too much

Mar 3, 10:01 AM

Spades said:
Manaban said:

doesn't really offer anything at all in the way of why he's saying that and it can be assumed to just be personal taste, i.e. this doesn't even need to be a thread because it's not even posing a question or topic to be discussed for the most part aside from the question he tacked on at the end, the rest of him is just basically a collection of statements amounting to "I like it when anime has balanced gender ratios in their casts. Here is the name of a series that has that. I like this series."

I do, someone has to trudge through the mud and the blood, so that way what everyone is already assuming when they see his name attached to a thread can be proven true

I think it's because of some sense of self-loathing I buried deep inside of myself and try not to let resurface

Mar 3, 10:01 AM

Yes, I prefer a balanced gender cast. Seeing only dudes or only chicks is extremely boring. And you usually only see one gender in yaoi/yuri.

Mar 3, 10:03 AM

I don't care about the gender as long as the characters are likeable.

#1 Hitagi Lover

I dont really care if a show has a balanced cast or not. I dont mind watching shows like Servamp which had action to keep me interested while mostly appealing to fujoshi's. Same goes for something like Bungo Stray Dogs is mostly a male cast with a female or two in it and didnt seem to appeal to fujos but im sure it did.

as long as the characters are diverse personality wise i don't really care about gender

"I broke the dam."

Mar 3, 10:04 AM

Manaban said:
Spades said:

I do, someone has to trudge through the mud and the blood, so that way what everyone is already assuming when they see his name attached to a thread can be proven true

I think it's because of some sense of self-loathing I buried deep inside of myself and try not to let resurface

no one deserves such punishment as having to read that, go easy on yourself

Mar 3, 10:13 AM

I don't care if genders are balanced or not, character should be just be good and anime should be good. A gender balanced cast can't stop Franxx from being one of the worst things to come out in a while.
erased sucks lol what an original opinion

Mar 3, 10:15 AM

I don't mind either way tbh... as long as it entertains.

Mar 3, 10:17 AM

Spades said:
Manaban said:

no one deserves such punishment as having to read that, go easy on yourself

I mean, all he did was state that he liked anime with gender ratio being equal and refused to watch anything that was too skewed in one direction, maybe a couple of things he liked in a series that had a balanced thingy that is unrelated to gender ratio for the most part

Really, the only thing really critique worthy that I have is that the intent seems kind of masked and that here is the purpose for the thread:

CoolitzHubertXVI said:

Those 2 novels/manga has entertained me a million times more than any harem or reverse harem titles I have read or watched before, and it's all thanks to the gender balanced casts in those 2 stories.

Having a gender balanced cast in shows would also make a perfect environment for setting up multiple romantic pairings, as I love watching shows with Multiple Couples, like in Kenja no Mago.

and even then it's because i've been stuck with this guy for months now, and i know how he has a decently long history of using other topics as a kind of decoy to draw away from the main idea he is expressing with his thread

The rest of the post is just what I put in a tl;dr

he really should go use blog posts, i think pretty much every thread i've seen him make has just been something like this with a question tacked on about the general topic so it's more inclusive than it really is

might be enough for some people though, but it just seems kind of like he's using it to circumvent being forced into blogs and get more exposure for him saying "i like this" 1,000 times on repeat in every wall of text he writes
Modified by Lisbon, Mar 3, 10:23 AM

Mar 3, 10:22 AM

I don't really mind but I feel a bit strange when there are only male characters(Kuroko , Haikyuu) and it's interesting 'cause I don't feel this when there are only female characters ... I don't mind either way anyway

This Signature is gonna be removed soon anyway so...Why?

Mar 3, 10:36 AM
Review Moderator
YES.
If there are an odd amount of characters in the cast, I demand a half a man and a half a woman for that last entry.

Mar 3, 10:54 AM

Well it is kinda weird when you have a world that consists of only men or women... Like...

Where do babies come from?
Need OSTs in HQ? Message Me~ I'll Get em For You... The Only Cost is Your SOUL...

Mar 3, 11:01 AM

I'd say I don't mind, in general, balanced or unbalanced, as long as the story and characters are interesting. Though, most of the show with a girl-only (or girl-mostly) cast I've seen, up until now, are either CGDCT or harem and I'm not really interested in those (same for reversed-harem, BTW)

Mar 3, 11:52 AM

Why should I care if the gender cast is not in balance?

Mar 3, 12:15 PM

not enough trans, pansexual, cat-kin represented in anime for sure
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Mar 3, 4:38 PM

I don't give a damn about the ratio of the cast as long as there's no yaoi or yuri in it.
However, I'd to have a little more anime like touken ranbu and k project (good looking male cast with good art).

Sonal1988 said:
Swagernator said:

Try as hard as you want, but you can't make me start, or be a part of, dumb ass arguments on the internet. I'm too old and too smart for that.

That guy is hypocritical, saying that all-female casts are great, while all-male casts is appaling.

Mar 3, 4:44 PM

Execution is what that matters.

But I do admit a show with all moe female casts will diminish my willingness to watch that anime, with a few exceptions ofc. (Such as Madoka Magica and other plot driven shows)
Modified by Ventus_S, Mar 4, 3:13 AM

Mar 3, 4:46 PM

I prefer a full girls cast with no males, just Cute girls doing cute things with slight yuri undertones.

Mar 3, 5:38 PM

I mean....it depends on what kind of anime it is.

I consider myself pretty open-minded, so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a full-male school anime set in a male-only academy, a contrast to the typical all-female academies we see in anime. It would actually be really interesting to see the male perspective, although I'm sure there are anime out there that have something like this.

If the anime is trying to tell a story grounded in the real world, I'd like it to reflect that reality and maybe sprinkle a bit more idealism in it. But generally, I don't care as long as the characters are good and it tells a good story.

Mar 3, 7:53 PM

It kind of depends on the anime. For example, KonoSuba is mostly girls but it's still a show that I adore a lot. Haikyuu!! is mostly boys and it's the show with one of the best friendships I've seen so far. But yeah, I do prefer a balanced gender cast more than an unbalanced one. You mentioned that it sets up an environment for multiple pairings and I wholeheartedly agree with that as a shipper fan myself. Actually, I guess it's the main reason on why I prefer it, as well as because sometimes I might get tired watching the same gender over and over again. Again, it depends on the anime but balanced is my preference.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List

Mar 3, 7:57 PM
I world more female character over male character.

Mar 3, 8:48 PM

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's not a harem/reverse harem.

Shows with all girls are a hit or miss though since there's a high chance it could be a fanservice show even though it doesn't have a male lead.

Not saying that shows with all male cast can't be fanservice but the fanservice there usually isn't nudity centric(except for free) so it's not as off putting for me.

"You are just bugs. Weak little bugs."

-雲雀恭弥

Mar 3, 8:52 PM
All of the Stars

assyrian said:

I want a reverse harem, not a political agenda.

Shows with 100% male cast is also wonderful.
Extra points if there is shounen ai.

Shows with 100% females are usually a no-go.

i’m in love with you
and i know that love is just a shout into the void
and that oblivion is inevitable
and i am in love with you

...sorry

last.fm graph

Mar 3, 9:09 PM

Yes, obviously...all female/male casts are often boring SoL comedies, and everyone knows those are impossible to sit through without yawning eight million times per ep...

Sometimes male casts are inevitable, and those are sports anime - you can't really have much girls in em besides the manager.

Also, idol shows suck. Both genders.

Set by Transience
MT Loyalty - Red || White

Mar 3, 9:15 PM

I think I seek more balance in ages rather than gender.... Seeking adults is a rough road when I am in the mood for it.
The anime community in a nutshell.

Mar 3, 9:15 PM

I don't care, as long it's enjoyable to me (or not have too much BL or Yaoi whatever it is)

Pages (2) [1] 2 »