Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 3, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2017
Arcaedes said:

Zero Two confirmed again that she's not expecting anyone to survive at this point - likely due to knowledge and experience she has that they don't, which ties back to what she said in episode 5 about Hiro not amounting to much if he hadn't survived as her partner. What matters at the moment is what they can do with the little time they have. Hopefully as they learn more about the world and working together that fate can be changed for at least some of them

i find 002 a very contradicting character, she clings onto hiro with all the lovey-dovey motives and staying together forever, trying to be or give more of a human-like impression, yet she tells ichigo that she wouldn't care if he dies

like, come on, you either live in the moment and grasp to those emotions (like it was in this episode with her 'you will die sooner or later') or just be really stoic about it like mitsuru is
Mar 3, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2017
uninstallthegame said:
Arcaedes said:

Zero Two confirmed again that she's not expecting anyone to survive at this point - likely due to knowledge and experience she has that they don't, which ties back to what she said in episode 5 about Hiro not amounting to much if he hadn't survived as her partner. What matters at the moment is what they can do with the little time they have. Hopefully as they learn more about the world and working together that fate can be changed for at least some of them

i find 002 a very contradicting character, she clings onto hiro with all the lovey-dovey motives and staying together forever, trying to be or give more of a human-like impression, yet she tells ichigo that she wouldn't care if he dies

like, come on, you either live in the moment and grasp to those emotions (like it was in this episode with her 'you will die sooner or later') or just be really stoic about it like mitsuru is

My understanding of it was not so much she wouldn't care if he died, more that she's already accepted they're all going to die. So the response of "then he wouldn't amount to much" means he'll be able to do more before his expiry time if he survives as her partner, and less if he dies. I have to admit it's not very clear though, and my interpretation may well not match the general consensus.

My hope for her character as she gradually develops friendships and experiences "human" emotions, is that her objective will change from - do as much as you can before you die, to try and find a way for them to not die. Not before having some kind of normal life expectancy at least

The plantation 26 squad's response to Zorome asking if they knew of any kids who ever got to become adults, makes it seem like something they're not even capable of. All kids came from the Garden without parents, so likely artificially produced for a purpose rather than ever being born - hence the significance of that book Kokoro's keeping hold of, and Zero Two's "what is human to you people" question
Mar 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Apr 2015
uninstallthegame said:

It's simple, people act differently depending on who they are around with and under what circumstances. She can openly show her affection around Hiro cause how he sees her is more important to her than how others do. If someone who considers her a monster, clearly has an interest in her man and tries to boss her around she'll be snarky and hide what she truly thinks.

Besides, she didn't say that she didn't care just that if he would die then he wouldn't amount to much which is harsh but the truth. It's the policy on which she has been raised and they are raised. If they don't amount to much then they die as well. Zero Two clearly wanted him to amount to enough to survive but that doesn't change the fact that if he died then he simply was too weak in a world in which he isn't allowed to.

Same in this Episode. There is a line between wanting something & having to accept the truth. She clearly does not want them to die but it doesn't change the fact that they'll eventually die. She does not hold back and lays down the truth for them to see, in a sense it's a warning from her side especially if you consider how clueless they are about their own future.
Jan 2018
uninstallthegame said:
Arcaedes said:

Because 002, now is insicure..because with ichigo, she feels threatened
Feb 2018
I hate it because the girls treat men abusively
Mar 3, 2018 1:11 PM
Jan 2018
Fappa said:
uninstallthegame said:

It's simple, people act differently depending on who they are around with and under what circumstances. She can openly show her affection around Hiro cause how he sees her is more important to her than how others do. If someone who considers her a monster, clearly has an interest in her man and tries to boss her around she'll be snarky and hide what she truly thinks.

Besides, she didn't say that she didn't care just that if he would die then he wouldn't amount to much which is harsh but the truth. It's the policy on which she has been raised and they are raised. If they don't amount to much then they die as well. Zero Two clearly wanted him to amount to enough to survive but that doesn't change the fact that if he died then he simply was too weak in a world in which he isn't allowed to.

Same in this Episode. There is a line between wanting something & having to accept the truth. She clearly does not want them to die but it doesn't change the fact that they'll eventually die. She does not hold back and lays down the truth for them to see, in a sense it's a warning from her side especially if you consider how clueless they are about their own future.

but you refer to ep 5 or 8?
nothing I reread well I did not understand sorry I don't cancel the message beacuse I quote you
Mar 3, 2018 1:14 PM

Apr 2015
@shanimebib

I absolutely agree!

I really like how they've structures the story so far.
The first arc focused on introducing us to several character dynamics and the general cast but the main focus was on establishing the main duo which ended in a bang with Episode 6 finishing the Jian motif.

This arc now seems to focus fleshing out the characters, pushing forward existing dynamics while introducing new ones. Where Arc 1 set up the ground work, Arc 2 builds upon it.

Overall these character building episodes are again a set up so that whenever the central conflict starts to be the focus ( I assume it'll be starting with the second cour ) we the viewers have enough of an emotional connection to make whatever twist, death or revelation way more interesting and appealing to us.

I expect something to happen around Episode 12 like Zero Two taking Hiro and probably the others with Dr.FranXX to run away.
Mar 3, 2018 1:15 PM

Apr 2015
Angel942 said:

but you refer to ep 5 or 8?
nothing I reread well I did not understand sorry I don't cancel the message beacuse I quote you

Both since he took examples from both episodes.
Mar 3, 2018 1:17 PM

Dec 2017
Arcaedes said:

My understanding of it was not so much she wouldn't care if he died, more that she's already accepted they're all going to die. So the response of "then he wouldn't amount to much" means he'll be able to do more before his expiry time if he survives as her partner, and less if he dies. I have to admit it's not very clear though, and my interpretation may well not match the general consensus.

indeed, your interpretation makes a clearer image to her character, but still...

Arcaedes said:

My hope for her character as she gradually develops friendships and experiences "human" emotions, is that her objective will change from - do as much as you can before you die, to try and find a way for them to not die. Not before having some kind of normal life expectancy at least

The plantation 26 squad's response to Zorome asking if they knew of any kids who ever got to become adults, makes it seem like something they're not even capable of. All kids came from the Garden without parents, so likely artificially produced for a purpose rather than ever being born - hence the significance of that book Kokoro's keeping hold of, and Zero Two's "what is human to you people" question

...from all the responses that she gave at these scenes you can only see her as a dark and gloomy person, for sure she has seen some wicked shit, but i don't see her trying to fix or improve this feeling of certain death and despair, at least not at this phase of the show
Mar 3, 2018 1:24 PM

Apr 2012
Oh, it was a good episode. "Our" pairings became more obvious, and the universe of the show got more development. Especially Kokoro's "heterosexual speech", lol. But most of all I'm wondering what were are the circumstances of the "experiment" with parasites and what happened to the past thirteenth squad.
Mar 3, 2018 1:28 PM
Jul 2014
Interesting and fun episode, but there were a number of items that simply don't make sense, and need to be fully explained:

1. Aren't the characters already technically in "puberty?" Their biological ages seem to be somewhere around 14 or 15.

2. Dr. Franxx, Hachi and Nana explicitly discuss the fact that--unlike the other pilot groups--plantation 13's current squad is faster to develop sexual awareness but hasn't received any education or programs regarding puberty. This begs the question of why they behave around each other as though they have been clearly educated on social norms regarding male/female contact and perceptions of sexuality. These are things they would know only if they were raised and educated among common society, which they were not; indeed Dr. Franxx suggests that they have been left largely to their own devices.

3. Miku's reaction to the photo of the original plant 13 franxx pilots is very strange; it doesn't make sense at all unless she somehow has a connection to them.
Mar 3, 2018 1:29 PM
Mar 2018
I think people are thinking it too much, saying that everybody is going to die or things like that, Zero two said that everyone was gonna die eventually bu tit doesn't mean they will die in battle, I took that phrase more like warning them or helping them to get along better and bring them to the reality, I really enjoyed this episode although it is kind of a filler episode we learnt more about the characters so not even mad, and also, this episode made me start liking more Zero Two
FylkZadeyahMar 3, 2018 3:07 PM
Mar 3, 2018 1:31 PM

Sep 2017
uninstallthegame said:
Arcaedes said:

indeed, your interpretation makes a clearer image to her character, but still...

Arcaedes said:

...from all the responses that she gave at these scenes you can only see her as a dark and gloomy person, for sure she has seen some wicked shit, but i don't see her trying to fix or improve this feeling of certain death and despair, at least not at this phase of the show

Yep that's the development I'm hoping for with her. I think at the start her feelings are more superficial and practical, so experiencing real emotions should gradually bring about a change
Mar 3, 2018 1:44 PM

Dec 2017
Fappa said:

out of all 3 paragraphs of text you wrote, the last sentence gave the most sense and impression to me. you know, actually, it kind of enlightened the situation for what may cause the emotional disruption that i find in 002

it's because i'm an observer as a viewer. i sometimes forget about character's pov, for me these all problems seem trivial, empty or rather obvious, but that's because i see the full picture. well that cleared my mind in some parts
Mar 3, 2018 1:52 PM
Jan 2018
However I love when the screen shrinks for 02 / hiro scenes
Mar 3, 2018 1:59 PM

Nov 2013
ichii_1 said:
RobertBobert said:

Why? Of course, I have no prejudice against fat people, and Mitsuru an asshole, but so far they have chemistry, unlike her pair with the first. And as plot have already said, Kokoro and Futoshi have the weakest synchronization.

They have no chemistry other than mitsuru liking her for her boobs, it's just some ntr fetish the director has.

That's quite the interesting statement, seeing how Mitsuru was the only boy NOT ogling the girls last episode and had the most calm and mature reaction to the "melting clothes" incident this episode.
Mar 3, 2018 1:59 PM

May 2011
This episode was beyond fucking moronic. I mean i should have known this series would going this route after the beach episode. But come the fuck on. A bunch of 16 year olds acting like they're 5 year olds with cooties, even after facing death on numerous occasions.

Normal teens put in extreme situations don't just revert to being normal once they get out of their mechas. That shit effects them, it changes their world view. They usually treat each other more seriously when dealing with life changing situations.

I should just accept that this is just another generic shit anime. But damn would it kill them to at least attempt to develop a decent story and characters
Mar 3, 2018 2:06 PM

Aug 2008
I actually laughed out loud when oni girl dropped her dramatic line. Fat guy is annoying as usual, glasses girl, oujou girl, tsundere girl and loud twat boy are walking cliches as usual. Putting that aside, what was with that overreaction about the picture? Wasn't it obvious there had to be pilots there before them and that people die while doing it?

Other than some nice animation this episode was pretty bad. Even fanservice is falling flat. At first it was ridiculous enough to be funny, now it's just there like in any other show.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 3, 2018 2:10 PM

Jun 2017
Looks like Doctor FranXX is on the good side and even hides things from the higher ups. Since the current 13th squad is a test squad he wouldn't mind them smashing lol.

Kokoro already read that book by her reaction and seems to be the most sexually conscious now. Mitsuru is still a prideful ass on top of being a tsundere lol but that allowed him to have the most mature reaction.

Lots of good trollfaces from Zero Two as well and the overall development worked out nicely in the end.

Overall it was an amazing episode for me.
Mar 3, 2018 2:12 PM

Feb 2018
firemagnet said:

2. Dr. Franxx, Hachi and Nana explicitly discuss the fact that--unlike the other pilot groups--plantation 13's current squad is faster to develop sexual awareness but hasn't received any education or programs regarding puberty. This begs the question of why they behave around each other as though they have been clearly educated on social norms regarding male/female contact and perceptions of sexuality. These are things they would know only if they were raised and educated among common society, which they were not; indeed Dr. Franxx suggests that they have been left largely to their own devices.

I think the doctor is preparing something with this group ... that the APE does not know.
Mar 3, 2018 2:15 PM

Dec 2016
still the masterpiece of this season to me :D
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Mar 3, 2018 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
since we're all throwing around death flag theories... yep i defs think futoshi's gonna die. he gotta go if they wanna make kokoro/mitsuru a thing. and yeah he can't just be paired with ikuno sadly since i defs been getting the vibes she's a lesbian. wasn't sure WHO she was into but ichigo seems plausible, yeah. sadly i also think she's going to die (ikuno, ,that is) and on top of that i kind of have a pet theory that goro and hiro might die since i've had a feeling from episode one that zero two and ichigo were going to end up as partners. since "franXX"... i get the feeling the robots will go super saiyan if two women pilot together lol. or maybe just same sex in general, we could get them and hiro/goro... idk. as i said, just a pet theory.

honestly though imma be pissed if ikuno dies and is revealed to be interested in one of the girls, i'm tired of lgbt characters dying!
Mar 3, 2018 2:27 PM

Dec 2016
Great tactics used by the Kalaxosaur to begin the show, make the girls naked to distract the boys from fighting lol.

No surprise Zero Two doesn't care about crossing the line, she goes wherever her darling is.

Haha I'm liking what the does are doing in these situations.

What am I not surprised the Zero Two decided to have a lot of fun herself at everyone elses expense.

At least we had at least 2 people, that being Kokoro & Mitsuru who this splitting up & fighting was nonsense.

Well they made up in the end but what it took was learning about the previous team being dead, it definitely spooked Miku enough.
Mar 3, 2018 2:33 PM

Jul 2012
The episode was fun, but the rap was out of place.
Mar 3, 2018 2:33 PM

Mar 2015
Its a change to see the boys loose their clothes too. I'm really liking 002.

I think I'll try and plant some lilacs in the garden this year.
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 3, 2018 2:48 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
This episode was fun to watch! it added some character development to the team as well as showing how they need to understand & connect with each other.

It's nice seeing Zero two having fun & wanting to be acknowledged as a human.
I'm glad that the girls are starting to interact with her unlike the previous ep's where she was quite distant with the others.

Haha, when 02 started stealing everyone's clothes was quite funny!

The ED is quite nice as well, Love the shots!

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
Mar 3, 2018 3:01 PM
Nov 2010
Man I love 02's smile

Mar 3, 2018 3:03 PM

Sep 2017
Another excellent episode. I'm really staring to like most of the cast, which is making me enjoy the show a lot more. It was a ton of fun and laughs, but still reminds us that this isn't just a great SoL anime.

The characters know basically nothing about where babies come from. It makes me wonder if they could be test tube babies or something. With Kokoro having that book she might ask an adult about their parents or where they came from. That could be interesting.
Mar 3, 2018 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
oh wow that's some thick plot armor and self-insert idealism they have on 02
well... this episode sounds like Gainax and looks like Gainax. I guess all of this are also to be warranted.

ps.: don't get it wrong: I enjoyed it most among all the episodes, actually. At least the bullshit are laid out openly on the table.
Mar 3, 2018 3:10 PM

Jul 2014
2 things Im almost sure.
NTR Mitsuru X Kokoro's gonna happen, they gonna breed, Im almost sure of it.
I get a death flag, you get a death flag, we all get a death flag, so... who's going first?
Mar 3, 2018 3:16 PM

Feb 2014
This episode really explained how a relationship among two genders work. The last time such was explained was by Kiznaiver.

And
@duderus Looking forward to your gifs!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 3, 2018 3:48 PM

Feb 2018
This episode is by far the closest to puberty i have ever seen, if this is not puberty in 20 minutes then i dont know what it is, asides from that the episode was neat as always, decent interactions between characters, first time hiro has laughed (my boy is growing fast), anybody else senses the death flags waving?
Mar 3, 2018 3:58 PM

Dec 2015
If there is beach scene ofc there will be the clasic melting slime scene , lol.
Funny episodes but with a bit of bitter thing like their discovery about the former 13 squad.
Hiro chasing 02 is funny , why 02 give back his towel thoughXD. Underwear splash at the end . I wonder when kokoro will show that childbirth book
Mar 3, 2018 3:59 PM

Jan 2017
Ahh, this episode was so fun -though I don't get why the mood constantly lightens up... Scratch that. These sort of EPs are too funny

She wants to make babies, I feel sorry for her after 02 was like "sooner or later, you'll die"

Dammit, I need to get myself one of those towels... It's doin' bits, it is.
Mar 3, 2018 3:59 PM

Apr 2013
dasprn said:
This episode really explained how a relationship among two genders work. The last time such was explained was by Kiznaiver.

And
@duderus Looking forward to your gifs!

Oh, well don't expect anything then I got enough reports that I got a warning + my posts will be removed in 2 days with the gifs/stitches~ I can only post 1 "screenshot" from now on

Mar 3, 2018 4:07 PM

Dec 2017
duderus said:

Oh, well don't expect anything then I got enough reports that I got a warning + my posts will be removed in 2 days with the gifs/stitches~ I can only post 1 "screenshot" from now on

what's the reason for reports and warning? i'm asking, 'cause you do a pretty good job on those and i enjoy them as well

upd: oh shit, lol, nevermind, i see the reason. well, it is true that you put a shit ton of your time into making them, but the amount is overwhelming the page loading time
uninstallthegameMar 3, 2018 4:20 PM
Mar 3, 2018 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
Another "quality" episode lol
Mar 3, 2018 4:20 PM

Feb 2018
Other people who saw the episode found this:

Would the doctor be examining the "transformation" of Hiro?

Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/DarlingInTheFranxx/comments/81tp4d/what_the_dr_was_examining_on_episode_8/
Mar 3, 2018 4:20 PM

Dec 2015
This wasn't half bad, but I hope next episode we'll get back to the meat of the story, 2 episodes were enough of a break.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 3, 2018 4:43 PM

Apr 2014
Don't get the overreaction at the end. Weren't they already aware the pilots may die while they are on duty?

Fatboy will obviously die first to make Mitsuru & Kokoro happen. His character is the weakest out of the entire main cast.
Mar 3, 2018 4:43 PM

Jan 2017
shanimebib said:
Since no one will do a proper screencap, I am doing it for you guys!

Coming back to the episode: the moment they realized what have happened to the previous 13th was a bit too much of a shock for 390. I think the Keep Out signs were put there intentionally to pique the interest of the Children and let them find out the situation they are actually in by themselves.

I have a feeling that 556 x 326 will become a thing because of the number of interactions between them keep piling up.

Also, really liked the character development we had in this episode of all the characters. The episode served as a truly bonding experience amongst the girls and the boys and also all of them coming to realization that they need one another. I liked it how the girls wanted to have 002 on their side, from a natural point of view. That's one more step towards considering 002 as someone human by everyone even though she is not.

002's wanting to experience human fights was a very nice touch in the episode. Plus for 016 for saying how the girls are the ones who go through the physical toll during piloting the FRANXX which hit the boys really hard. Boys will be boys but they are actually all nice deep inside.

Also, 556 and 390 were incredibly cute in this episode. 556 (read: best girl) in particular took the helm for the girls. Maybe she is now aware of what Boy x Girl really means because she has gone through that book she picked up from the ruins in the previous episode.

With this seemingly stupid episode, we actually got a lot of character development so can't really complain. And we also got a glimpse of UBW i.e. Unlimited Bowl Works so that's a plus.

lowkey I can't decide who's got the nicer behind between Zorome & Hiro.

Mar 3, 2018 4:44 PM

Sep 2016
this anime is trying way too hard to show relationship metaphor
is this propaganda piece by Abe-sama to tell Japanese kids to fuck each others and repopulate the dying country?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 3, 2018 4:55 PM

Oct 2017
so back to back episodes where the only interesting part was the last few minutes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2018 5:02 PM

May 2015
02 the best man. I can definitely see some hardships with them having feelings for other people than their partner and then they can't control the mecha. O ya did i mention 02 is the best?
Mar 3, 2018 5:15 PM

Sep 2016
Zero Two continues to break limits, holy shit this was a funny episode.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 3, 2018 5:15 PM
Aug 2017
- [ Best Scene ] -
= When Zero Two attacked Hiro with underwears.
Mar 3, 2018 5:20 PM

Aug 2015
I wonder how often we'll get an MC speech from Hiro, it was funny getting one from Ikuno.
Mar 3, 2018 5:36 PM
Jan 2018
do you know who sing an insert song before OP in this episode?
Mar 3, 2018 5:38 PM
May 2015
I don't know why but it feels like someone is going to die soon...
It feels like it...
It's most likely gonna be Kokoro since she did something "out of character"
but then again ... I don't think it's this kind of anime!
So she is most likely safe!
:D

*And if this comment gets flagged or something it would mean that I was right about that :D
I cant know since I didn't read the Manga/LN ...*
Mar 3, 2018 5:56 PM

Jun 2017
StasaTank said:
I don't know why but it feels like someone is going to die soon...
It feels like it...
It's most likely gonna be Kokoro since she did something "out of character"
but then again ... I don't think it's this kind of anime!
So she is most likely safe!
:D

*And if this comment gets flagged or something it would mean that I was right about that :D
I cant know since I didn't read the Manga/LN ...*

There is no LN since it's an anime original. There is a manga but it's behind the anime.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

597 by akiramado19 »»
Apr 17, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

328 by Aazoka »»
Apr 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

565 by otakuanity »»
Mar 29, 12:11 AM

» How do we feel about this one years later? ( 1 2 3 )

sorames - Jun 10, 2023

114 by sunatsf »»
Mar 26, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

638 by SibunaC »»
Mar 4, 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.