Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2018 10:24 PM

Jan 2017
I'm so happy Made in Abyss got it!! It deserved it so much with its amazing story, art and score. Hopefully, this will make more people watch it and get onto that amazing journey to the bottom of the Abyss!
Feb 24, 2018 10:29 PM

Jan 2018
when people thought it was a kids show from the anime art cover :')

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 24, 2018 10:31 PM

Jan 2017
mihyon said:

I was one of these people. Then ep 10 happened and I realized my life had been a lie!!
Feb 25, 2018 12:08 AM

Dec 2017
I bet everyone was expecting My Hero Academia.

I broke my voice when I heard "Ma" instead of "My."
Feb 25, 2018 2:08 AM

Apr 2011
Buyingbf_ said:

Same :) Huge props to Made in Abyss, fully deserved the award.

Also it got an award for best music - but this one was pretty obvious.
Feb 25, 2018 2:10 AM

Apr 2016
Anime of the Year ? and by whose standards ?
Feb 25, 2018 2:32 AM

Dec 2017
By the judges standards and the public's popular vote, I guess.
Feb 25, 2018 2:51 AM

Oct 2017
Not sure which anime deal you’re referencing, but it’s obviously the judges were pedophiles.
Feb 25, 2018 3:37 AM

Dec 2014
in my opinion It deserves the award
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Feb 25, 2018 3:51 AM

Jun 2015
In my opinion rewrite season 2 was Aoty but then again I'm a huge fan of the visual novel and I love Kotori Kanbe a lot.

Outside sequels I think Sakurada reset deserves AOTY for it's amazing story and ending. Truly marvelous and complex story.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Feb 25, 2018 9:33 AM

Feb 2016
Definitely well-earned, it's nice to see quality over popularity win sometimes, truly refreshing
Feb 25, 2018 9:54 AM

Jan 2017
Buyingbf_ said:

I lost it when the op started to play xD took me a while to realize it had happened haha
Feb 25, 2018 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
Well deserved ,That's all i can say
Feb 25, 2018 8:27 PM

Dec 2016
It's a really well-crafted, haunting and charming show, the win was well-deserved.
Feb 26, 2018 1:21 AM
May 2015
cant think of anything that mha does better than mia. Prolly fights?

But for real it was obvious.

on a serious note, i came up with laroussi2018 in 2004 so ppl think im from the future...Just realized its 2018!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 26, 2018 3:35 AM
The No Life King

Jan 2017
Was a lot of good anime this year, but in hindsight it was pretty obvious that it would end up like this.

It was well received among both the masses and the so-called "critics" that like to call themselves experts on anime. Personally I haven't watched it yet (ugh, so much anime, so little time), but it was already on my PTW so it's not like this made the series any less interesting :^)
Feb 26, 2018 6:32 AM

Sep 2015
Very well deserved, everyone should give Made in Abyss a watch !
Feb 26, 2018 6:35 AM

Sep 2016
Just because some Western plebs say so, dosent make it AOTY
Feb 26, 2018 8:48 AM
The No Life King

Jan 2017
Why are you so angry? Just because the western prize and in truth opinions on anime has little to no impact in Japan doesn't mean we can't celebrate what we consider good anime.

It's not like this prize hurts anyone, if anything it gives a few animes and the industry as a whole a bit extra attention in an area that usually wouldn't be considered the core market.

That's just my take on it tho, when everything is said and done I doubt it will have any importance whatsoever, but then again... when has award shows of any format had any impact?
Feb 26, 2018 11:55 AM

Apr 2014
Better than my Hero aka by far
Feb 26, 2018 1:46 PM
Jan 2017
Username23489023 said:
Not sure which anime deal you’re referencing, but it’s obviously the judges were pedophiles.
it was popular vote the judges just nominated
Feb 26, 2018 1:48 PM
Jan 2017
thriach said:
you don't live in Asia so doesn't that make you a western pleb also you could have voted
Feb 26, 2018 6:40 PM

Jan 2017
thriach said:

Yeah, and everyone knows the Japanese know best.... After all, Kemono Friends is sooooo much better than the other animes nominated in this category by Crunchyroll.
Brisingr1502Feb 26, 2018 6:49 PM
Feb 27, 2018 1:58 AM

Oct 2014
Yeah, japan has a better taste, they would choose some kind of k-on or to love ru show, which is too deep for us westeners to understand.

Very well deserved award for MiA, even although the awards were so biased towards crunchyroll shows it managed to take it from that generic battle shounen.
Feb 28, 2018 9:26 PM

Jan 2017
Yisus666 said:
Yeah, japan has a better taste, they would choose some kind of k-on or to love ru show, which is too deep for us westeners to understand.

Very well deserved award for MiA, even although the awards were so biased towards crunchyroll shows it managed to take it from that generic battle shounen.

For this year, they gave the award of anime TV series of the year to Kemono Friends! :'D
Mar 1, 2018 12:48 AM

Oct 2014
Brisingr1502 said:
Yisus666 said:

For this year, they gave the award of anime TV series of the year to Kemono Friends! :'D

Wow, Japan never dissapoints with its peculiar tastes. They love the most random things, even a show targeted towards kids :/
Mar 1, 2018 5:05 AM

Sep 2014
Yisus666 said:
Brisingr1502 said:

Wow, Japan never dissapoints with its peculiar tastes. They love the most random things, even a show targeted towards kids :/

Japan also love MiA.
Kemono friends at least is an original project and these original works are more suited for an anime award than adaptation of manga imo. I don't know of you watched kemono friends, but the feeling that it's targeted towards kids bring some melancholic ambience to the post-apocalyptic world of Japari Park. It's rather quite unique and definitely not an issue. The show is interesting for all ages.

Btw Japan clearly have better taste when it comes to anime since they don't tend to overpraise garbage show like Death Parade.
KryzakamiHrybamiMar 1, 2018 9:49 AM
Mar 1, 2018 6:47 AM

Oct 2014
Hrybami said:
Yisus666 said:

Japan also love MiA.
Kemono friends at least is an original project and these original works are more suited for an anime award than adaptation of manga imo. I don't know of you watched kemono friends, but the feeling that it's targeted towards kids bring some melancolic ambience to the post-apocalyptic world of Japari Park. It's rather quite unique and definitely not an issue. The show is interesting for all ages.

Btw Japan clearly have better taste when it comes to anime since they don't tend to overpraise garbage show like Death Parade.

Dunno, haven't seen that show, but it looks like "cute girls doing cute things" (I hate that kind of setting). On the other hand, the "Japan has beter taste than the west", don't know your tastes, but in my standards, they love shit all the time as all those cgdct or fanservice based shows which I can't stand.

Btw, many people liked Death Parade in the west, It's not a shitty show, just not appealing to those otaku standards. Just according to what I said before, they tend to like shows that I don't care for.
Mar 1, 2018 9:45 AM

Sep 2014
Yisus666 said:
Hrybami said:

Japan also love MiA.
Kemono friends at least is an original project and these original works are more suited for an anime award than adaptation of manga imo. I don't know of you watched kemono friends, but the feeling that it's targeted towards kids bring some melancolic ambience to the post-apocalyptic world of Japari Park. It's rather quite unique and definitely not an issue. The show is interesting for all ages.

Dunno, haven't seen that show, but it looks like "cute girls doing cute things" (I hate that kind of setting). On the other hand, the "Japan has better taste than the west", don't know your tastes, but in my standards, they love shit all the time as all those cgdct or fan service based shows which I can't stand.

Btw, many people liked Death Parade in the west, It's not a shitty show, just not appealing to those otaku standards. Just according to what I said before, they tend to like shows that I don't care for.

CGDCT is really popular in Japan because it's accessible to casual and not only otaku. It's just a kind of show people watch to relax to and enjoy some light-hearted show. Pretty much like the comedy show airing in the evening people watch to relax from the stressful day they just had. I really doubt many Japanese otaku really consider these show to be the best of the entire industry, but more an opinion that casual who barely know anime would hold.

Some other show like Kemono friends and K-On are generally appreciated better because they achieved the meme-level of popularity. When it's everywhere in the internet, then it's globally appreciated world-wide because people just jump in the hype-train during the trend. Though, what makes these two shows special is not really their cgdct aspect, but more about how it is presented. I don't really like K-On, but I noticed that the show is doing very strong in the comedy and iyashikei departments. It was definitely one of the best of its kind from its era. Kemono friends, on the other hand, is more complex and is doing excellently in the mystery and world-building departments. It's a show that seems like a fun adventure, but it actually tell stories about species being extinct and the place of humankind in the ecosystem. These shows are definitely not just regular cgdct. They had more to offer and had proven that they worth their popularity.

I don't know why you brought up fanservice here to be honest. Fanservice is in almost everything and that always has been the case. The fanservice only based show are generally doing well, but that's also the case in the West as well and they aren't doing amazingly well either, so I don't know what it has to do with Japan's taste.

Death Parade definitely is a shitty show even for otaku standard. It's just so shallow and incredibly wrong on so many level. This show make absolutely no sense that it makes the dialogue in monogatari series starting to make sense and fleshed out.
Mar 1, 2018 10:31 AM
Apr 2016
Hrybami said:
Yisus666 said:

Dunno, haven't seen that show, but it looks like "cute girls doing cute things" (I hate that kind of setting). On the other hand, the "Japan has better taste than the west", don't know your tastes, but in my standards, they love shit all the time as all those cgdct or fan service based shows which I can't stand.

CGDCT is really popular in Japan because it's accessible to casual and not only otaku. It's just a kind of show people watch to relax to and enjoy some light-hearted show. Pretty much like the comedy show airing in the evening people watch to relax from the stressful day they just had. I really doubt many Japanese otaku really consider these show to be the best of the entire industry, but more an opinion that casual who barely know anime would hold.

Some other show like Kemono friends and K-On are generally appreciated better because they achieved the meme-level of popularity. When it's everywhere in the internet, then it's globally appreciated world-wide because people just jump in the hype-train during the trend. Though, what makes these two shows special is not really their cgdct aspect, but more about how it is presented. I don't really like K-On, but I noticed that the show is doing very strong in the comedy and iyashikei departments. It was definitely one of the best of its kind from its era. Kemono friends, on the other hand, is more complex and is doing excellently in the mystery and world-building departments. It's a show that seems like a fun adventure, but it actually tell stories about species being extinct and the place of humankind in the ecosystem. These shows are definitely not just regular cgdct. They had more to offer and had proven that they worth their popularity.

I don't know why you brought up fanservice here to be honest. Fanservice is in almost everything and that always has been the case. The fanservice only based show are generally doing well, but that's also the case in the West as well and they aren't doing amazingly well either, so I don't know what it has to do with Japan's taste.

Death Parade definitely is a shitty show even for otaku standard. It's just so shallow and incredibly wrong on so many level. This show make absolutely no sense that it makes the dialogue in monogatari series starting to make sense and fleshed out.
death parade being a shitty show is your opinion. Don't say it like it's a fact.
Mar 1, 2018 12:12 PM

Oct 2014
Hrybami said:
Yisus666 said:

Yeah, fanservice has everything to do with otakus and it's why some shows become popular in Japan. The one thing I still don't get is why you brought in the first place that death parade is bad when it has to do nothing with the conversation. Okay that's your opinion, it's fine, but your opinion is not a fact and even has to do with my point because it has no fanservice on it and it didn't do well in Japan. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe there's a correlation.
Mar 1, 2018 12:18 PM

Sep 2014
Yisus666 said:
Hrybami said:

Yeah, fanservice has everything to do with otakus and it's why some shows become popular in Japan. The one thing I still don't get is why you brought in the first place that death parade is bad when it has to do nothing with the conversation. Okay that's your opinion, it's fine, but your opinion is not a fact and even has to do with my point because it has no fanservice on it and it didn't do well in Japan. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe there's a correlation.

Death Parade has fanservice in it and the shows you're saying that are popular in Japan because they are fanservice based are just as much popular in the west.

I never said my opinion was a fact. And if my opinion was a fact, then it wouldn't be an opinion. Death Parade is just an example of a terrible show which is popular in the west and not in Japan. The west also have very bad taste sometimes.
Mar 1, 2018 12:29 PM

Jun 2011
Brisingr1502 said:
mihyon said:

I was one of these people. Then ep 10 happened and I realized my life had been a lie!!
I keep hearing about this episode 10, I dropped it around episode 5, not that I hated it, just thought it was kind of boring and never felt in the mood to watch it.... until eventually the next season of shows was out and it was forgotten about. does it really get that much better?
Mar 1, 2018 4:02 PM

Jan 2017
Killaclown said:
Brisingr1502 said:

I keep hearing about this episode 10, I dropped it around episode 5, not that I hated it, just thought it was kind of boring and never felt in the mood to watch it.... until eventually the next season of shows was out and it was forgotten about. does it really get that much better?

In my humble opinion, I would say yes. Other characters are introduced that make the show a lot better and the story gets a little more complicated after ep 10. I also think that ep 13 is amazingly done. However, I can see why one might find it boring as I thin think the first season is merely an exposition for what's to come in the second. In conclusion, I would suggest that you continue watching it! :)
Mar 1, 2018 4:06 PM

Jun 2011
Brisingr1502 said:
Killaclown said:

In my humble opinion, I would say yes. Other characters are introduced that make the show a lot better and the story gets a little more complicated after ep 10. I also think that ep 13 is amazingly done. However, I can see why one might find it boring as I thin think the first season is merely an exposition for what's to come in the second. In conclusion, I would suggest that you continue watching it! :)
eh ill give it a shot i guess, already half way to episode 10 i guess
Mar 1, 2018 4:15 PM

Jan 2017
Hrybami said:
Yisus666 said:

Japan also love MiA.
Kemono friends at least is an original project and these original works are more suited for an anime award than adaptation of manga imo. I don't know of you watched kemono friends, but the feeling that it's targeted towards kids bring some melancholic ambience to the post-apocalyptic world of Japari Park. It's rather quite unique and definitely not an issue. The show is interesting for all ages.

I never said Kemono friends was bad, I just think it was an average show targeted towards kids that did not deserve this award.
And, clearly, Japan does not have better taste when it comes to anime or else we would not get shitty fanservice harem highschool animes 80% of the time. For God sake, they even put fanservice in Noragami for no damn reason!!
As for your last point, I don't see how you can praise Kemono friends for being an original work then say Death Parade was garbage while it also was original. Objectively, DP has a much better animation, better characters, a better OST and OP and a better plot than Kemono friends. The reason why it did not do well in Japan must be that there wasn't a tsundere bouncing her boobs around while asking Senpai to shut up and pet her.
Mar 2, 2018 3:07 AM

Dec 2016
"Japan has better taste"

On Japan equivalent of MAL (www.anikore.jp), Infinite Stratos and Love Live are higher rated than Jojo's and Hunter x Hunter (and Made in Abyss too, actually). *facepalm*

Edit: Also SAO is apparently the 17th best anime of all time and is nearly tied for rating with FMAB. (haha lol)
ShionMar 2, 2018 3:15 AM
Mar 2, 2018 7:20 AM

Sep 2014
Brisingr1502 said:
Hrybami said:

Japan also love MiA.

I never said Kemono friends was bad, I just think it was an average show targeted towards kids that did not deserve this award.
And, clearly, Japan does not have better taste when it comes to anime or else we would not get shitty fanservice harem highschool animes 80% of the time. For God sake, they even put fanservice in Noragami for no damn reason!!
As for your last point, I don't see how you can praise Kemono friends for being an original work then say Death Parade was garbage while it also was original. Objectively, DP has a much better animation, better characters, a better OST and OP and a better plot than Kemono friends. The reason why it did not do well in Japan must be that there wasn't a tsundere bouncing her boobs around while asking Senpai to shut up and pet her.

You should check the news section of MAL and read some article about Japanese top sales Blu-Ray, DVD, manga, etc. And you would be surprised to see that Ecchi/harem or fanservice based only anime or manga are really not predominating the top spot at all. Most frequently, ecchi can be an additional genre to an anime without being the main focus. Nanatsu no Taizai is Ecchi, but it isn't a fanservice only based series. And like I said, the highschool/harem genre is just as much popular in the West than in Japan.

Taste in the West compared to Japan is not really far from different. The only exception there is is that Japan don't tend to like as many trainwerck shows unlike how many the West do.

The only thing Death Parade did better than Kemono friends is on the animation. Other than that, it's ultimately the trashiest show I've come across in my life.

A tsundere bouncing her boobs? Good stereotype here. It's obvious that all the popular anime got their popularity because there is a tsundere bouncing her boobs. Moreover, the West totally don't tend to like the show which are featuring dere-type and fanservice.(sarcasm)

SMH
Mar 5, 2018 5:45 PM

Sep 2016
Shion said:
"Japan has better taste"

On Japan equivalent of MAL (www.anikore.jp), Infinite Stratos and Love Live are higher rated than Jojo's and Hunter x Hunter (and Made in Abyss too, actually). *facepalm*

Edit: Also SAO is apparently the 17th best anime of all time and is nearly tied for rating with FMAB. (haha lol)

So what ? If the japanese really liked sword art online, love live and infinite stratos, who are you to tell them that they are "wrong". Just because some westerners really hate the shows i mentioned, dosent mean that their opinion is supreme

At least japan dosent overate fullmetal alchemist like here
Mar 5, 2018 6:27 PM

Jan 2017
thriach said:
Shion said:
"Japan has better taste"

So what ? If the japanese really liked sword art online, love live and infinite stratos, who are you to tell them that they are "wrong". Just because some westerners really hate the shows i mentioned, dosent mean that their opinion is supreme

Because there are objective criteria that show how crap those shows compared to the other one mentionned. And, again, I'm pretty sure FMA is not highly rated because not enough fanservice for Japanese otakus standards... :( And if anyone dare to say SAO and FMA are equal, then it just shows how much of an ignorant they are.
Mar 5, 2018 6:29 PM

Apr 2013
hiyoon said:
So it's the second coming of Meguka?
Apr 12, 2018 8:46 AM

Sep 2014
Brisingr1502 said:
thriach said:

Because there are objective criteria that show how crap those shows compared to the other one mentionned. And, again, I'm pretty sure FMA is not highly rated because not enough fanservice for Japanese otakus standards... :( And if anyone dare to say SAO and FMA are equal, then it just shows how much of an ignorant they are.

Having criteria in the first place make it subjective lol. And to be honest I rated both FMA and SAO 5/10, they are not good, but there a lots of worse anime out there. They are just mediocre show for mediocre audience: mainstream.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

234 by p1f1 »»
Apr 16, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Are the movies cannon…?

Skylar-whoo - Apr 15

21 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 15, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2017

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 24, 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.