Forum Settings
Forums

Some reflections about "getting people into anime"

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 25, 2018 12:30 PM

Mar 2016
So basically if I want to get someone into anime I should show them trash so that they’ll get into “all anime” or give up knowing what they assumed about anime was correct.

I’d rather show them something decent, or something they’d be into, and then if they like it say you may also like ————-.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2018 12:36 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
"What do Death Note and Code Geass "give you for future stuff" that Evangelion, Akira, Angel's Egg, and Lain not give? I'm confused, here."

DN and CG teach you how to swin by being your teacher in a 1.5 meters deep pool while you have a life jacket.

Evangelion, Akira, Angel's Egg, and Lain do so by making you jump of the diving board into a deep lake.

Basically, starting with the latter is like your case of "starting" Mahou Shoujo with Madoka.
I feel...inclined to disagree, because I saw Evangelion early on and appreciated it nevertheless. I'm not really sure what one "needs to know about anime" before being able to appreciate it.

thewiru said:
It is not that people SHOULDN'T use other methods, but rather, my post talks about getting A SPECIFIC RESULTS and the best methods to achieve such specific results. It may be that my methods won't work for certain people while the methods i "advocate against" do.
Fair enough.

Though I still feel that the method you've outlined is a bit too...may I say, "intellectual"? Not as in "intellectual anime", but as in based on interpreting "understanding anime" as a knowledge to learn, rather than a process to experience. It feels like you're asking for people to read a manual on "here are the tropes that anime uses", "here are how people watch anime", "here is how people do things, let's get you some first-hand real experience with it ASAP", etc., and assuming that they want to go down this path. Which is something they'll do if want it, but I just feel it's unlikely to work for a lot of people, unless they're already interested (e.g. if they are already asking around about how to "get into" anime and have shown clear interest in fandom activities).

thewiru said:
You don't have to like every trope, but if you end up hating many of them it will be troublesome to keep finding anime you like.
I don't think that people's opinions on tropes is going to change significantly in a short time between where they are before you try to show them anime and where they are afterwards. If they don't like stuff like wacky anime humor or gratuitous bouncing boobs beforehand, they're still going to dislike them afterwards, and analogously if they liked them beforehand.

If anything, your method may be a good way to "do an internship" in a typical hardcore fan's life, but it'll still be up to the person to decide whether they enjoy that particular role.

My thinking, though, is that this isn't a role that people usually specifically mean to take on, when they join the anime fandom. In fact it feels much like joining the fandom just to be part of the fandom, rather than joining the fandom as a side-effect of enjoying some anime series -- which I think is how most people end up here.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 25, 2018 12:36 PM

Feb 2014
@EcchiKnightDarek

"Or perhaps he just wanted to show his love for those particular works, ever thought of that? Of course not."

Such love he had that he had to ask for titles to show on Reddit instead of doing a work on the ones he liked.

"This still operates under the assumption that someone went out of their way to prove that "Animu ish shmart"."

I've been a teenager myself, i know how teenagers work.

"Well... you're not exactly wrong, on the other hand what are you suggesting? to continue the circlejerk of the same anime and manga being recommended for starters? Hell, I lowkey want to get my sister into anime because I know she would like it. But I sure as hell won't be getting her into it through CLANNAD, Code Geass, Death Note or whatever."

On the original portuguese text i reffered to, i say that one of the things that inspired me was the Twitch-Crunchroll collab in mid 2017. The roster that was streamed had in mind being something to "Help people who always wanted to get into anime but never knew how": https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2017/07/27/heres-the-full-schedule-for-the-twitchcrunchyroll-anime-marathon/#25494fd65e2c

TBH, it doesn't have to be any of those either, any anime that "Doesn't require much prior knowledge of anime to be enjoyed and also gives you such knowledge" works.

" It took me a forgotten seasonal from a few years back (So Ra No Wo To) to get away from that circle myself and expand my tastes and horizons far beyond the same old anime EVERYONE and their mothers watched."

I had a similar experience, back in 2012 most brazillian pages about anime would spend more time talking about "being an otaku" than about anime, and when they did, it was usually about those who EVERYONE and their mothers watched.
That would onyl change when i started to go to international anime paged were i would be introduced to seasonal anime.
Feb 25, 2018 12:41 PM

Aug 2012
I actually wish more people to enjoy some anime, rather than getting into the medium as a whole. Although it's fine to like the medium, but I personally don't like the majority of the frequent tropes. I am just very tolerant of them at this point, as I enjoyed it it in the past.
The only thing that slightly pisses me off is the ignorance regarding the medium and common misconceptions. Just by introducing a few shows that crack the ignorance is enough. It's more of a validation purpose than actually getting them into anime, as I don't personally care if "x" celebrity watch anime or not (as an example).

Surely you can recommend your favorite anime depending on what it is. Just be self-aware of how it can be perceived.
Feb 25, 2018 12:44 PM

Feb 2014
SupremeEdgelord said:
Here’s a question for you OP:

Why is it so important for you that other people like or not like cartoons?

Why do you care so much if someone doesn’t like them? Why do you think that they MUST like anime?

Simply: It isn't and i don't.

But hey, it doesn't mean it wouldn't be "cool if it happened", right? I wrote this guide mostly with a mentality of "If you want to do so, at least do it right".
The other reasons being that i would've liked such guide when i first got into anime.

Let alone the fact that i'm a college student who just knows how to talk about anime and politics.
Feb 25, 2018 4:27 PM

Oct 2012
StarSwoardsman said:
simonephone said:

I enjoyed some shows I rated a five to an extent. Five is average for me. I can enjoy something I think is average. You sure are making a lot of assumptions in this thread.

Most normal people don't say they enjoy something that is average. If you like average things then that usually means that you yourself are average.

Lmao yeah okay. Strong words from someone who backs up their opinions with the opinions of others. All your defenses for these shows basically boil down to that they can't be bad cause a bunch of people like them. Can't defend something critically with your own opinions bro?
Feb 25, 2018 4:33 PM

Jan 2018
simonephone said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Most normal people don't say they enjoy something that is average. If you like average things then that usually means that you yourself are average.

Lmao yeah okay. Strong words from someone who backs up their opinions with the opinions of others. All your defenses for these shows basically boil down to that they can't be bad cause a bunch of people like them. Can't defend something critically with your own opinions bro?

What are you even saying? Where am I using others opinions to back up my own? LMAO.
Feb 25, 2018 4:40 PM

Oct 2012
StarSwoardsman said:
simonephone said:

What are you even saying? Where am I using others opinions to back up my own? LMAO.

So what? SAO has it's haters, but still has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and has a huge fanbase.

Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to Breaking Bad in terms of it's writing and use of plot twists.

That's like only two shows. You gave Steins Gate, a highly regarded show a five and Death Note, another highly regarded show a six.

"Other people like these shows and say they are good so they must be!! Look someone even said this ones like Breaking Bad so must be great!!"

But yeah I'm the average one.
Feb 25, 2018 5:07 PM

Jan 2018
simonephone said:
StarSwoardsman said:

So what? SAO has it's haters, but still has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and has a huge fanbase.

Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to Breaking Bad in terms of it's writing and use of plot twists.

That's like only two shows. You gave Steins Gate, a highly regarded show a five and Death Note, another highly regarded show a six.

"Other people like these shows and say they are good so they must be!! Look someone even said this ones like Breaking Bad so must be great!!"

What if I happen to agree with those opinions? Did that cross your mind?

And, I was using that because that user was acting as if his opinion was objective fact.

Try again.
Feb 25, 2018 5:28 PM

Oct 2012
StarSwoardsman said:
simonephone said:

What if I happen to agree with those opinions? Did that cross your mind?

And, I was using that because that user was acting as if his opinion was objective fact.

Try again.

He said what he thought about two shows then you started digging around in his profile to explain to him why him disliking popular shows (Steins Gate and death note) meant that he didn't like anime as a whole.

Also damn he's talking about his opinions like facts? Like literally what you're doing right now? You're just going around assuming shit, telling other people what their opinions are. You sure argued with that guy for a while about how he doesn't like anime when he was literally telling you his opinion was different. And you straight up insulted me when I tried to disagree with some blanket assumption you made. Like that guy was being obnoxious I'll admit but so are you dude.
Feb 25, 2018 5:32 PM

May 2009
StarSwoardsman said:
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering what's wrong with being average.

Ain't nothin' wrong if it means that you find some entertainment more pleasurable.
Feb 25, 2018 5:37 PM

Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Ain't nothin' wrong if it means that you find some entertainment more pleasurable.

No one should be okay with being average.
Feb 25, 2018 5:39 PM

May 2009
StarSwoardsman said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Okay, why? You say it like it's a bad thing, but if "being average" with regards to anime means I enjoy anime more, then what's wrong with it?
Feb 25, 2018 5:47 PM

Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Okay, why? You say it like it's a bad thing, but if "being average" with regards to anime means I enjoy anime more, then what's wrong with it?

Well, let's just speak about in terms of what Anime that you enjoy.

Everything that we consume becomes a part of our gentic makeup. So, the Anime that we watch is a part of us. That's why I am very careful of which shows I watch. I try to only watch shows that I believe will be good and if it looks bad I will drop it. Like I enjoyed the first 13 episodes of Kare Kano. But, I heard that it gets bad after Anno leaves and didn't want to subject myself to that.

If you enjoy average Anime, then this will manifest into your life. You have just lowered your standards and you will just accept average as being okay. Average is not okay. At least okay is good enough. Average is meh. It's your preroggative to enjoy whatever Anime you want. But, I know that for me when I watch Anime, a live action show or movie, read a book or listen to music that I am going to go towads things that feed me in the best way. Not just the generic pop stuff.
Feb 25, 2018 5:53 PM

May 2009
StarSwoardsman said:
Everything that we consume becomes a part of our gentic makeup.
Uh...what?

If you mean that statement literally, then: no, it doesn't.

StarSwoardsman said:
So, the Anime that we watch is a part of us. That's why I am very careful of which shows I watch. I try to only watch shows that I believe will be good and if it looks bad I will drop it. Like I enjoyed the first 13 episodes of Kare Kano. But, I heard that it gets bad after Anno leaves and didn't want to subject myself to that.

If you enjoy average Anime, then this will manifest into your life. You have just lowered your standards and you will just accept average as being okay. Average is not okay. At least okay is good enough. Average is meh. It's your preroggative to enjoy whatever Anime you want. But, I know that for me when I watch Anime, a live action show or movie, read a book or listen to music that I am going to go towads things that feed me in the best way. Not just the generic pop stuff.
You're making it sound like there's some sort of purity meter that you don't want to fall down by watching bad anime. Except there isn't. Even if you mean that first statement figuratively, in that what we watch becomes part of our experiences...
2. Are all of our "good" experiences necessarily better for our development as human beings than our "bad" experiences are?
1. What exactly does it mean to have a "bad" experience? And how does this even translate to watching anime? What happens when people disagree whether a given series is "good" or "bad"?

As I watched more things I gradually realized that it wasn't the alleged "quality" of a show that gave me meaningful experiences with it. Sometimes I had meaningful experiences with shows that people regarded well, sometimes I had meaningful experiences with shows that people didn't regard well. And the same went for experiences I didn't particularly enjoy or in some cases even find notable/memorable at all.

If you're getting more out of shows people say are "good", then that just means your taste lines up more with those people's.
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 25, 2018 6:03 PM
Feb 25, 2018 6:22 PM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

>"Smart people"
>calling SAO trash.

yep I know a garbage opinion when I see one.

OT. I'd rather people like specific anime (or genre) because that is more feasible. Having different tastes makes for a better discussion rather than everybody agreeing that anime is God's gift to mankind.
It's not my problem you can't accept that a show you like is trash.

Hmmm...

>better than average art
>started trends in the medium
>has depth(for AoT)

I don't think they're great, but at least I'm sensible enough to know that they have appeal, and not just handwave anything I dislike as simple "trash", which is an opinion that any smart person can do.
Feb 25, 2018 6:50 PM

Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Uh...what?

It 100% does. And you denying this speak volumes.
[/quote]
GlennMagusHarvey said:
You're making it sound like there's some sort of purity meter that you don't want to fall down by watching bad anime. Except there isn't. Even if you mean that first statement figuratively, in that what we watch becomes part of our experiences...
2. Are all of our "good" experiences necessarily better for our development as human beings than our "bad" experiences are?
1. What exactly does it mean to have a "bad" experience? And how does this even translate to watching anime? What happens when people disagree whether a given series is "good" or "bad"?

As I watched more things I gradually realized that it wasn't the alleged "quality" of a show that gave me meaningful experiences with it. Sometimes I had meaningful experiences with shows that people regarded well, sometimes I had meaningful experiences with shows that people didn't regard well. And the same went for experiences I didn't particularly enjoy or in some cases even find notable/memorable at all.

If you're getting more out of shows people say are "good", then that just means your taste lines up more with those people's.

Purity meter?

Yeah, you can gain value off of watching anything bad. But, why are you watching something bad? Is it actually to learn? Or do you just want to turn your brain off?

I never said that good experiences are better for development than bad ones. We all learn more through failure than success. All I am saying is that you need to be more conscious with what you watch.

I have watched shows that people have really enjoyed that I just thought were pretty good. I have watched shows that people hated on that I enjoyed. Like, peiople really dissed the second season of Psycho Pass and I liked it. Same with SAO. So, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.
Feb 25, 2018 6:59 PM

May 2009
StarSwoardsman said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Uh...what?

It 100% does. And you denying this speak volumes.
Okay, tell me the mechanism by which anime changes the DNA sequence in the cells in one's body. Also, tell me, which cells, and when in the process of watching them, and what parts of the code are changed, and changed to what.

StarSwoardsman said:
Yeah, you can gain value off of watching anything bad. But, why are you watching something bad? Is it actually to learn? Or do you just want to turn your brain off?
What if I don't see whatever it is as "bad" (or "good", for that matter), but instead I see it as a chance to explore a fictional world, or to get to know some characters I might find interesting or might emphathize with?

StarSwoardsman said:
I have watched shows that people have really enjoyed that I just thought were pretty good. I have watched shows that people hated on that I enjoyed. Like, peiople really dissed the second season of Psycho Pass and I liked it. Same with SAO.
Yeah, I've had similar experiences too.

StarSwoardsman said:
So, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.
Well, you said something that I disagree with (the implication that "average" with regards to tastes in anime is a bad thing), so I was curious about it and responded to it. Then you responded with something even more incredulous (the idea that watching anime changes one's genetic code), so I responded again, trying to look past the literal interpretation of it and consider a figurative interpretation. Reading what you said that way, seemed to be like you were saying that it's only good to watch "above-average" shows that people regard well...except now I'm even more confused since what you say are your experiences seem to go against that very grain.
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 25, 2018 7:04 PM
Feb 25, 2018 7:20 PM

Jan 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Okay, tell me the mechanism by which anime changes the DNA sequence in the cells in one's body. Also, tell me, which cells, and when in the process of watching them, and what parts of the code are changed, and changed to what.
You are being WAY too rational. It's really simple. When you watch a McDonalds commercial, you might want to get a big mac right? So, when you watch an Anime that's about say a guy who plays the piano, it might actually make you want to play the piano right? This is a very simple example. But the point is that you don't just watch something and not take it in. Your subconscious mind is always taking in information and storing it away. That is why you must be conscious of what you watch.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
What if I don't see whatever it is as "bad" (or "good", for that matter), but instead I see it as a chance to explore a fictional world, or to get to know some characters I might find interesting or might emphathize with?

If you see it as good then why would you say it's average? Average isn't good.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Yeah, I've had similar experiences too.
We're on the same page there.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Well, you said something that I disagree with (the implication that "average" with regards to tastes in anime is a bad thing), so I was curious about it and responded to it. Then you responded with something even more incredulous (the idea that watching anime changes one's genetic code), so I responded again, trying to look past the literal interpretation of it and consider a figurative interpretation. Reading what you said that way, seemed to be like you were saying that it's only good to watch "above-average" shows that people regard well...except now I'm even more confused since what you say are your experiences seem to go against that very grain.

I'm really just saying that you need to be conscious with what you watch . Watch whatever you want, I don't care. Though, there are plenty of shows and films that I don't get why anyone would want to watch. But, be conscious of what is going on. Be conscious that it is NOT a good show and it isn't adding value to your life outside of stimulation. That's all that I am getting at.
Feb 25, 2018 7:45 PM

May 2009
StarSwoardsman said:
You are being WAY too rational. It's really simple. When you watch a McDonalds commercial, you might want to get a big mac right? So, when you watch an Anime that's about say a guy who plays the piano, it might actually make you want to play the piano right? This is a very simple example. But the point is that you don't just watch something and not take it in. Your subconscious mind is always taking in information and storing it away. That is why you must be conscious of what you watch.
I'm really just saying that you need to be conscious with what you watch . Watch whatever you want, I don't care. Though, there are plenty of shows and films that I don't get why anyone would want to watch. But, be conscious of what is going on. Be conscious that it is NOT a good show and it isn't adding value to your life outside of stimulation. That's all that I am getting at.

I think the term you're looking for is "literal", but that's exactly why I remarked "If you meant that statement literally...", and thus why I was surprised when you responded by saying "It 100% does."

But I think I get what you're saying, you're saying that what we watch has a subconscious effect of informing us about the world around us. Though I'd disagree it even goes as far as making a person want a Big Mac or want to play the piano...unless a person already has an inclination that way, perhaps. But still, fine. Knowing this, though, I'm now more curious what you consider "good" or "bad" -- does it depend on content (e.g. avoiding sexual or violent content)?

StarSwoardsman said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

If you see it as good then why would you say it's average? Average isn't good.
Well I don't see them as "good", "bad", or even "average". If anything, "interesting", "uninteresting", or "annoying" are closer to how I think about the shows I watch.

Though I still don't see how "average" is a bad thing. With regards to the way you described it earlier:
You have just lowered your standards and you will just accept average as being okay. Average is not okay. At least okay is good enough. Average is meh. It's your preroggative to enjoy whatever Anime you want. But, I know that for me when I watch Anime, a live action show or movie, read a book or listen to music that I am going to go towads things that feed me in the best way. Not just the generic pop stuff.

Well, there aren't really "standards", so that's why "average" doesn't really mean much. But even if we take "average" to mean "conventional", in that it follows typical story/genre tropes, I don't really see how means "bad" or "good". It feels like this idea confuses "average" meaning just the middle of any range of attributes, vs. "average" as the middle of a range of quality. Just because a show follows conventional tropes doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. I guess you could say "if I were a writer, how would I stand out from the crowd of other stories out there?" then "average" meaning "commonness" could be seen as a bad thing for some purposes, but as an audience, I don't feel that same way. Unusual doesn't always mean better, conventional doesn't always mean worse.
Feb 26, 2018 4:02 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:
It's not my problem you can't accept that a show you like is trash.

Hmmm...

>better than average art
>has depth(for AoT)

I don't think they're great, but at least I'm sensible enough to know that they have appeal, and not just handwave anything I dislike as simple "trash", which is an opinion that any smart person can do.
Has countless plot holes, has a main character with no personality whatsoever, has no character development whatsoever, rushed second arc , forced drama, and rushed romance etc. That sounds like a trash anime to me.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Feb 26, 2018 4:21 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

Hmmm...

>better than average art
>has depth(for AoT)

Has countless plot holes, has a main character with no personality whatsoever, has no character development whatsoever, rushed second arc , forced drama, and rushed romance etc. That sounds like a trash anime to me.

That'z basically 99% of anime (hur dur no season 2), and doesn't even apply to AoT.
Feb 26, 2018 4:35 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

That'z basically 99% of anime (hur dur no season 2), and doesn't even apply to AoT.
1: I was talking about Sword Art Online. 2: I'm pretty sure Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and many other anime don't have plot holes in them. 3: The problem with AoT is it's heavy reliance on shock factor , the plot not having a main goal ,and many other flaws.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Feb 26, 2018 4:46 AM

Nov 2016
Well I recommended Madoka Magica and Toradora to my mum and she really liked both. Sometimes it does work out when you want to show someone your favourite shows. I also don't really care enough about Death Note, AoT, Code Geass, and SAO to introduce anyone through them.
Feb 26, 2018 7:01 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

1: I was talking about Sword Art Online. 2: I'm pretty sure Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and many other anime don't have plot holes in them. 3: The problem with AoT is it's heavy reliance on shock factor , the plot not having a main goal ,and many other flaws.

I meant that plenty of those basically applies to most anime.
From your list: Detective Conan (development, forced drama), Kaiji (forced drama, shock factor), Gekkan Shoujo (everything), for example. If you say that that makes it trash anime then you're just applying double standards now.

And again, doesn't apply to AoT, which, apart from fake death from Eren, doesn't have much shock factor. Gore, yes, but shock factor? Nah. Also, it has a revolving plot, and what flaws, do elaborate?

Anyways, what I'm saying is that immediately saying that x anime is trash when it obviously just isn't meant for you is hypocritical especially when the same arguments can be applied to those that you consider "far superior"
Feb 26, 2018 7:07 AM
Sep 2017
I suggest NO!!! Anime is too tainted and corrupted. pls save those people's lives.

Feb 26, 2018 7:30 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

From your list: Detective Conan (development, forced drama), Kaiji (forced drama, shock factor), Gekkan Shoujo (everything), for example. If you say that that makes it trash anime then you're just applying double standards now.

And again, doesn't apply to AoT, which, apart from fake death from Eren, doesn't have much shock factor. Gore, yes, but shock factor? Nah. Also, it has a revolving plot, and what flaws, do elaborate?

Anyways, what I'm saying is that immediately saying that x anime is trash when it obviously just isn't meant for you is hypocritical especially when the same arguments can be applied to those that you consider "far superior"
1: Detective Conan is a mystery drama episode from episode 1. How is the drama forced lol?Sword Art's Online drama came out of nowhere. Also who told you that no developes? They're plenty of characters who developed Conan, Ran, Shu, Ai etc. Kaiji is a drama gambling anime from episode 1 they didn't bring a drama out of nowhere trying to make us care for s character we no nothing about. Gekkan Shojo is a parody of shojo anime it doesn't need any character development. 2: Attack On Titan had plenty of shock factor some examples are: Levi's team getting killed way too fast, Eren's mom death, and eren getting eaten by a titan. (I know eren didn't die but it still counts as shock factor since the viewer is supposed to have the thought that eren is dead.) 3. Other flaws include not having a goal, tries too hard to be a mystery anime in both season 1 and season 2. Season 1 by killing eren and season 2 by hiding the fact that the black haired girl is a titan. Pacing is too slow in the Female Titan arc. Unlike able characters ex: Eren who yells all the time without any reason, Mikasa who has no personality, and Levi whose just there for thr plot.
Feb 26, 2018 7:46 AM

Oct 2010
I'm not particularly interested on selling anime to other people and I don't believe it's even necessary under the current situation of the medium. We are not talking about something a few basement dwellers watch, it is something that creates and feeds trends, is available on mainstream streaming services and is talked a lot in social networks. So at this point if people don't know at least a little about anime it is under their own choice and effort.

However if I wanted to recommend I'd have to take into account my own experience. It is now, 8-9 years after I started getting into anime, that I am fully accepting the realization that I do like anime as a whole. Not certain anime, not as part of the animation medium, not as part of my interest on audiovisual narratives in general, but as something of its own, with a set of tropes and a cultural background I'm interested on. So what do I mean with this? That liking, or rather, deciding that I like anime as a whole and differentially from other media/industries, to me has been an acquired taste over the years, after watching many shows and deciding that there is an overall appeal in themes, aesthetics and execution. I don't expect a newcomer to fall in love with the medium just because they like a show or a genre, things don't work like that from my experience and going with those expectations is like expecting somebody to develop a specific interest on film just because they enjoyed 2001 or Apocalypse Now. That specific interest is not something evident and it doesn't have a clear formula to unlock it, it will either happen or not depending on the person, and it will only grow gradually and according to each one's pace. I don't particularly believe in the concept of "entry level" anime either. After all, how many people have watched their "entry level" Death Note, liked it and never tried another anime, because liking something does not necessarily create you a need to explore more in depth. Or how many people became huge fans of a franchise (Dragon Ball for instance) and haven't shown interest on digging further because that's where their comfort zone lies.

If I have to recommend something, I need to individualize this recommendation and appeal to the specific tastes and interests. I believe this mindset works for everything. Anime, movies, songs, food, places to visit and etc. Having further expectations implies rather unpredictable dynamics and may lead to frustration more often than not.
jal90Feb 26, 2018 7:53 AM
Feb 26, 2018 8:02 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

1: Detective Conan is a mystery drama episode from episode 1. How is the drama forced lol?Sword Art's Online drama came out of nowhere. Also who told you that no developes? They're plenty of characters who developed Conan, Ran, Shu, Ai etc. Kaiji is a drama gambling anime from episode 1 they didn't bring a drama out of nowhere trying to make us care for s character we no nothing about. Gekkan Shojo is a parody of shojo anime it doesn't need any character development. 2: Attack On Titan had plenty of shock factor some examples are: Levi's team getting killed way too fast, Eren's mom death, and eren getting eaten by a titan. (I know eren didn't die but it still counts as shock factor since the viewer is supposed to have the thought that eren is dead.) 3. Other flaws include not having a goal, tries too hard to be a mystery anime in both season 1 and season 2. Season 1 by killing eren and season 2 by hiding the fact that the black haired girl is a titan. Pacing is too slow in the Female Titan arc. Unlike able characters ex: Eren who yells all the time without any reason, Mikasa who has no personality, and Levi whose just there for thr plot.

Wat. Every other case in Detective conan involves forced drama. The development in the series could be summarized in less than 50 eps (out of the how long it is now)
Kaiji Played the shock factor with how evil people and the games are. The games are basically forced drama.
As for Gekkan being a parody, well Sakamoto as well, and it lacks the so called flaws that you found yet you think Gekkan is better

As for shock factor, when Jean's friend died, everybody expected that the anime would have scenes like this, hence not "shock factor". If it was, then Kaiji is basically shock factor palooza since basically every game had an extra side to it, and sometimes even multiples.

As for being a mystery, lol, everyone and their mothers knew that Annie is totally the female titan, the only problem is the ones inside the show did not (since we aren't sharing their POV).

Unlikable character is not a flaw. It's a personal opinion, which you'll find, lots of people don't share. And saying that it is would be amusing considering how highly you treat Darker than Black.

And you talk about slow pacing as if it's a bad thing when "waves hand" Detective Conan.

I smell double standards.
Feb 26, 2018 8:05 AM

Feb 2015
I neither want people to know anime or know some anime. I don't even know people, so the feeling between us and that non-existing people are mutual.
Feb 26, 2018 9:36 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

Wat. Every other case in Detective conan involves forced drama. The development in the series could be summarized in less than 50 eps (out of the how long it is now)
Kaiji Played the shock factor with how evil people and the games are. The games are basically forced drama.
As for Gekkan being a parody, well Sakamoto as well, and it lacks the so called flaws that you found yet you think Gekkan is better

As for shock factor, when Jean's friend died, everybody expected that the anime would have scenes like this, hence not "shock factor". If it was, then Kaiji is basically shock factor palooza since basically every game had an extra side to it, and sometimes even multiples.

As for being a mystery, lol, everyone and their mothers knew that Annie is totally the female titan, the only problem is the ones inside the show did not (since we aren't sharing their POV).

Unlikable character is not a flaw. It's a personal opinion, which you'll find, lots of people don't share. And saying that it is would be amusing considering how highly you treat Darker than Black.

And you talk about slow pacing as if it's a bad thing when "waves hand" Detective Conan.

1: Nice ignore me telling you to explain how detective conan has forced drama. If they developed the whole cast under 50 episodes it would have been a rushed character development. How are the games forced drama lol? From episode 1 there has been drama in every single game Kaiji played so no it can't be classified as having forced drama. 2:Nice Ignore the flaw that Levi's team dying way too fast. As it for being a mystery it tried too hard making the female titan seem like unknown giving the impression of a mystery anime. 3: Yeah too bad that the characters in Attack on Titan are actually lame unlike in Darker than Black. 4: I said if a series is too slow then that'll count as a flaw I never said slow shows are bad. 5: Stop wearing the mask of the hypocrite when you're the one who started aruging with me saying I have a bad opinion because I said Trash Art Online is bad when it's actually bad B)
Feb 26, 2018 4:10 PM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

1: Nice ignore me telling you to explain how detective conan has forced drama. If they developed the whole cast under 50 episodes it would have been a rushed character development. How are the games forced drama lol? From episode 1 there has been drama in every single game Kaiji played so no it can't be classified as having forced drama. 2:Nice Ignore the flaw that Levi's team dying way too fast. As it for being a mystery it tried too hard making the female titan seem like unknown giving the impression of a mystery anime. 3: Yeah too bad that the characters in Attack on Titan are actually lame unlike in Darker than Black. 4: I said if a series is too slow then that'll count as a flaw I never said slow shows are bad. 5: Stop wearing the mask of the hypocrite when you're the one who started aruging with me saying I have a bad opinion because I said Trash Art Online is bad when it's actually bad B)

1. Detective Conan can be squeezed into less than 50 episodes (heck even 24 eps.) and nothing of importance will be lost. Saying that they can't develop the characters in less than 50 eps is blatantly wrong since majority of the cases don't even have character development. Ran almost meeting Shinichi and Hattori's slow af relationship, and other side characters' as well does not justify that kind of length. It is forced drama cause every other case has some petty excuse like x person sold muh sword or gave me a cat that suddenly ends up in murder. Gosho might make good mysteries half the time, but his character intentions are totally garbage. Kaiji is even more forced drama as it likes to amp up the poor victim card and just drops side characters like nothing (old man he saved from arc 1 lol), just so it could justify the cruel world stint.

2. Characters dying fast in an action show that has already shown that characters can die in said show. Oh no, how illogical. It's not like Kaiji (cough skyscraper bridge stint) does that despite not being alluded in prior arc.

3-4. And you've basically shown your double standards. Nice.

5. If you're gonna argue semantics on what makes a show "trash" at least be consistent at it. After all, it is what smart people do. That's the flaw you've been showing. You claim to hide under the guise of intelligence to choose which shows are good or not yet cannot even use impartiality in what makes something good.
BrbFeb 26, 2018 4:14 PM
Feb 27, 2018 2:43 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

1. Detective Conan can be squeezed into less than 50 episodes (heck even 24 eps.) and nothing of importance will be lost. Saying that they can't develop the characters in less than 50 eps is blatantly wrong since majority of the cases don't even have character development. Ran almost meeting Shinichi and Hattori's slow af relationship, and other side characters' as well does not justify that kind of length. It is forced drama cause every other case has some petty excuse like x person sold muh sword or gave me a cat that suddenly ends up in murder. Gosho might make good mysteries half the time, but his character intentions are totally garbage. Kaiji is even more forced drama as it likes to amp up the poor victim card and just drops side characters like nothing (old man he saved from arc 1 lol), just so it could justify the cruel world stint.

2. Characters dying fast in an action show that has already shown that characters can die in said show. Oh no, how illogical. It's not like Kaiji (cough skyscraper bridge stint) does that despite not being alluded in prior arc.

5. If you're gonna argue semantics on what makes a show "trash" at least be consistent at it. After all, it is what smart people do. That's the flaw you've been showing. You claim to hide under the guise of intelligence to choose which shows are good or not yet cannot even use impartiality in what makes something good.
1:Yeah 24 episodes wouldn't cover all the character development and events that happened in the show. As for forced drama like I said it's a drama from episode 1 and it gets you attached to the characters unlike Sword Art Online that dived into the drama before getting the viewer to care about the characters. 2: Kaiji gets you attached to the characters before killing them off unlike some shows like Attack on Titan , Sword Art Online , And Akame ga kill.
5: I actually know if a show is good and bad unlike you I don't have trash taste.
6: Nice Ignore me telling you to stop criticizing me for trashing on his opinion when you yourself trashed on my opinion
Feb 27, 2018 2:47 AM

Mar 2015
i discovered that i am too selfish and that i want anime only for myself .i wouldn't mind getting people of the internet to love but i don't want someone i know like it
Feb 27, 2018 2:59 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

1:Yeah 24 episodes wouldn't cover all the character development and events that happened in the show. As for forced drama like I said it's a drama from episode 1 and it gets you attached to the characters unlike Sword Art Online that dived into the drama before getting the viewer to care about the characters. 2: Kaiji gets you attached to the characters before killing them off unlike some shows like Attack on Titan , Sword Art Online , And Akame ga kill.
5: I actually know if a show is good and bad unlike you I don't have trash taste.
6: Nice Ignore me telling you to stop criticizing me for trashing on his opinion when you yourself trashed on my opinion

6. I'm trashing on your opinion because you put it on the guise of "smart people are x".
5. Actually know if a show is good or bad: gives metrics on them, not even impartial on said metrics. Kek
2. Kaiji lets you get attached? In what way? By making them symphatetic and then bastardizing them moments before death? In giving a 2 minute expo in how they got into the game mess and doing it was a mistake and yet when they were given another game to try, surprise surprise, they're in it again, only to be offed yet another 2 minutes later? In making another bs secret part two of said games just so that they could "amp the stakes"? Even mc being saved in arc 1 is a crapton of bs.
1. Detective Conan is 99% filler with about 30 seconds of development in not even half of those. Not really the most useful development metric. As for events, the plot necessary ones up to chapter 800 are basically: Shinichi going to Goro, parents finding out, new gadgets, sherry, hattori, sherry's sister, the other detective going after the black organization (and fake death). As for forced drama, yet again: the mysteries themselves. A lot of the murders involved some strange murder revenge plot from 6 years ago or some bullshit. And with the series being composed mostly of said filler, poor quality revenge plots become so passe.
Feb 27, 2018 4:22 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

6. I'm trashing on your opinion because you put it on the guise of "smart people are x".
5. Actually know if a show is good or bad: gives metrics on them, not even impartial on said metrics. Kek
2. Kaiji lets you get attached? In what way? By making them symphatetic and then bastardizing them moments before death? In giving a 2 minute expo in how they got into the game mess and doing it was a mistake and yet when they were given another game to try, surprise surprise, they're in it again, only to be offed yet another 2 minutes later? In making another bs secret part two of said games just so that they could "amp the stakes"? Even mc being saved in arc 1 is a crapton of bs.
1. Detective Conan is 99% filler with about 30 seconds of development in not even half of those. Not really the most useful development metric. As for events, the plot necessary ones up to chapter 800 are basically: Shinichi going to Goro, parents finding out, new gadgets, sherry, hattori, sherry's sister, the other detective going after the black organization (and fake death). As for forced drama, yet again: the mysteries themselves. A lot of the murders involved some strange murder revenge plot from 6 years ago or some bullshit. And with the series being composed mostly of said filler, poor quality revenge plots become so passe.
6: It doesn't change the fact that you're a hypocrite 5: I do because I didn't overrate SAO and AoT like you. 2: It shows both bad and good sides of humanity ex for bad side: the fat guy who cheated in the cards game and regretted nothing; ex for good side: the man who only participated in the survival game in order to save his family. Plus we're given way much time to get attached to the characters unlike in Aot. 1: You're clearly just speaking bs since the characters take awhile to develop some examples of character who took a long time to develop: Ran , Sara , Shu Akai , Conan etc. Revenge plot doesn't = forced drama. You're acting like Dc has the worst animation ever when infact the animation is pretty average.
Feb 27, 2018 6:09 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

6: It doesn't change the fact that you're a hypocrite 5: I do because I didn't overrate SAO and AoT like you. 2: It shows both bad and good sides of humanity ex for bad side: the fat guy who cheated in the cards game and regretted nothing; ex for good side: the man who only participated in the survival game in order to save his family. Plus we're given way much time to get attached to the characters unlike in Aot. 1: You're clearly just speaking bs since the characters take awhile to develop some examples of character who took a long time to develop: Ran , Sara , Shu Akai , Conan etc. Revenge plot doesn't = forced drama. You're acting like Dc has the worst animation ever when infact the animation is pretty average.

1. Let me get this straight. You think that murders where the murderer actually: tries to loose weight to kill somebody just so after 4 years during a reunion they could shove the person he murdered person's head into a fake stomach, or cases where somebody tries to kill someone else because they: gave you a cat, her father caught your criminal father, sold your sword, etc. actually make good writing? LMAO. 'Cause that's basically the schtick with Conan's Fillers. That's what I'm saying as poor quality revenge plot, and DC is made of that in spades.
Takes a while to "develop" characters. Arcs that end with Shinichi "talking" to Ran on the phone or them having a 30 second time together constitutes "taking time to develop characters" yet 24 episodes of an anime you dislike is too long? K
Magic double standards strikes again.

2. And it aggrandizes that fact. Just because it does it differently doesn't mean it's not bs. To emphasize the fact, mc wouldn't even have gone out during the first arc if the old man didn't blab about having jewels in his person.

5. Kek, I don't think I overrate SAO and AoT, in fact I dislike the latter, but people like you who claim "intelligence" in saying what decides quality by using some kind of metric but can't even be consistent on them are

6. hypocrites.
Feb 27, 2018 6:15 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I'd have to assume that if you want somebody to get into anime, you'd show them something they can only get out of this animated medium, which is high concept slash adult themed stories. Which is why the typical Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist are very beloved and shown around as starter anime. You'll expand your pallet in time to find similar stuff and grow either fond or disgusted with the tropes over time.
Feb 27, 2018 7:34 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

1. Let me get this straight. You think that murders where the murderer actually: tries to loose weight to kill somebody just so after 4 years during a reunion they could shove the person he murdered person's head into a fake stomach, or cases where somebody tries to kill someone else because they: gave you a cat, her father caught your criminal father, sold your sword, etc. actually make good writing? LMAO. 'Cause that's basically the schtick with Conan's Fillers. That's what I'm saying as poor quality revenge plot, and DC is made of that in spades.
Takes a while to "develop" characters. Arcs that end with Shinichi "talking" to Ran on the phone or them having a 30 second time together constitutes "taking time to develop characters" yet 24 episodes of an anime you dislike is too long? K

2. And it aggrandizes that fact. Just because it does it differently doesn't mean it's not bs. To emphasize the fact, mc wouldn't even have gone out during the first arc if the old man didn't blab about having jewels in his person.

5. Kek, I don't think I overrate SAO and AoT, in fact I dislike the latter, but people like you who claim "intelligence" in saying what decides quality by using some kind of metric but can't even be consistent on them are

6. hypocrites.
1: Yes because it's creative writing. Attack on Titan basically copied the same pramise of Parasyte the Maximum. The only difference is Parasyte the Maximum is good unlike Attack on Titan. The fact you're not complaining about Attack on Titan's horrible writing just shows you've a hypocrite. Attack on Titan had many flaws like heavily relying on shock factor, a super slow pace arc, annoying characters, bad dialogue, and it trying too hard to be a mystery both in season 1 and 2. On the point of character development not every character development has to have epic moments during developing.
2: Kaiji needed more money ofcourse he was willing to go try again. He was that desperate to get rich.
3: Yes you overrated both of them. 6 for SAO is too high.
7: Thanks for proving my point that you're a bad debater
Feb 27, 2018 9:53 AM

Nov 2008
Black_Flower_1 said:
StarSwoardsman said:

That's your opinion. And you are in the VAST minority, even with SAO.
Yeah because only smart people know that both these shows are trash. :)

It's fine if you don't like the anime but could you not imply the fans of them are idiots?

Rude?

Feb 27, 2018 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
forcing people to like anime (and succeeding) is the same as destroying life.
Feb 27, 2018 10:02 AM

Jan 2013
StarSwoardsman said:

Imagine this guy saying this to you with a straight face and try not lo laugh. AoT has lots of things going for it but plot is not one of them.

Generic TV/Show, Shounen Manga narrative of "lets twist the plot in unnecesary ways only to build up huge amounts of tension that will never be resolved in a satisfying way but will keep people buying said magazine or seeing said show"
ConfusionHazeFeb 27, 2018 10:06 AM
Feb 28, 2018 4:23 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

6. hypocrites.
1: Yes because it's creative writing. Attack on Titan basically copied the same pramise of Parasyte the Maximum. The only difference is Parasyte the Maximum is good unlike Attack on Titan. The fact you're not complaining about Attack on Titan's horrible writing just shows you've a hypocrite. Attack on Titan had many flaws like heavily relying on shock factor, a super slow pace arc, annoying characters, bad dialogue, and it trying too hard to be a mystery both in season 1 and 2. On the point of character development not every character development has to have epic moments during developing.
2: Kaiji needed more money ofcourse he was willing to go try again. He was that desperate to get rich.

1. >"It's creative writing. Lol.
The fact that I am not debating about AoT's bad points is because basically what you've labeled as "bad points" are ones that also apply to your so called good anime, and I was expecting a decent argument (which so far you've been very disappointing in) for you to prove that AoT is "shit".

2. How does that even connect? I said Kaiji being saved in arc 1 is a deus ex machina (here, what do you know, an actual plausible argument, which apparently you lack the mental acuity to present)

3. And you don't know how I work my system, yet attack something I have yet to put an objective standard. Logical fallacies abound.

7. Good debater my ass, you've yet to prove a point apart from your faulty usage of double standards.
Feb 28, 2018 7:18 AM

Jan 2018
ConfusionHaze said:
StarSwoardsman said:

Imagine this guy saying this to you with a straight face and try not lo laugh. AoT has lots of things going for it but plot is not one of them.

Generic TV/Show, Shounen Manga narrative of "lets twist the plot in unnecesary ways only to build up huge amounts of tension that will never be resolved in a satisfying way but will keep people buying said magazine or seeing said show"

That's just YOUR opinion. It's just mine too. But, don't try to pass of what you are saying as fact. Too many people get all up in arms on this board.
Feb 28, 2018 7:49 AM

Jan 2016
Brb said:
Black_Flower_1 said:

The fact that I am not debating about AoT's bad points is because basically what you've labeled as "bad points" are ones that also apply to your so called good anime, and I was expecting a decent argument (which so far you've been very disappointing in) for you to prove that AoT is "shit".

2. How does that even connect? I said Kaiji being saved in arc 1 is a deus ex machina (here, what do you know, an actual plausible argument, which apparently you lack the mental acuity to present)

3. And you don't know how I work my system, yet attack something I have yet to put an objective standard. Logical fallacies abound.

7. Good debater my ass, you've yet to prove a point apart from your faulty usage of double standards.
1:lol you're not even trying to deny my point. You're just laughing like an idiot. 2: How is it a desu ex machina? The guy had jewels in the bandage in his back and kaiji stole them. It isn't illogical plot armor. The illogical plot armor is in the end of Attack on Titan season 2 when eren somehow controlled the titans.3:Ok then mr objective rater try denying the flaws I mentioned that are in SAO in my first thread. O wait you can't because you know SAO is a 1/10 B).
3: I'm a better debater than you lol. You ignored many points I made about both SAO and Attack on Titan.
Feb 28, 2018 7:49 AM

Aug 2014
StarSwoardsman said:
Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note made me realize that there were Anime shows that were made for adults. But, Sword Art Online and Attack On Titan made me want to watch a lot more Anime.

Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note are made for kids/teens though, not adults.

StarSwoardsman said:

SAO has it's haters, but still has gotten a lot of critical acclaim and has a huge fanbase.

SAO doesn't have critical acclaim, it's constantly panned for its terrible writing and various plot holes.
And do show me where AoT has been compared to Breaking Bad because that baffles my mind..

#dicksoutforhughmungus
Feb 28, 2018 8:13 AM

Jan 2018
Beruang said:

Not true. Teens can watch them in the same way that I watched certain R rated films like Fight Club and shows when I was a kid/teen. But, I would never show a kid FMA:BA and sure as hell would show them Death Note. Both have mature topics that aren't for kids and barely for teens. They could enjoy it from
an entertainment standpoint. But, not actually understand it

You saying that is lumping it into the same group as Digimon Tri. C'om man.

Beruang said:
Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to
SAO doesn't have critical acclaim, it's constantly panned for its terrible writing and various plot holes.
And do show me where AoT has been compared to Breaking Bad because that baffles my mind..

Nope. Only by the haters. But, if you look up what critics have to say, it's generally gotten positive reviews. Hell, even on fan driven sites like MAL and IMDB it's gotten good reviews. The haters are just loud.

And look it up yourself. I'm not going out of my way for some rude poster.
StarSwoardsmanFeb 28, 2018 8:19 AM
Feb 28, 2018 8:19 AM

Jun 2015
Black_Flower_1 said:
Brb said:

1:lol you're not even trying to deny my point. You're just laughing like an idiot. 2: How is it a desu ex machina? The guy had jewels in the bandage in his back and kaiji stole them. It isn't illogical plot armor. The illogical plot armor is in the end of Attack on Titan season 2 when eren somehow controlled the titans.3:Ok then mr objective rater try denying the flaws I mentioned that are in SAO in my first thread. O wait you can't because you know SAO is a 1/10 B).
3: I'm a better debater than you lol. You ignored many points I made about both SAO and Attack on Titan.

1. If you think that random 6 years in the planning extremely contrived revenge plots(stabbing someone on the street would have been quicker) that falls flat easily, and murders for stupid reasons (where on earth do you see someone killing another person for gifting them a cat) are what you consider "creative writing" then that's on you. Nice blind favoritism at its finest, only goes to show well *waves hand.

2. Him telling Kaiji about the jewels (kek so necessary, tell some random stranger that you have riches is begging to be mugged) and that there was no build up whatsover nor was it used beyond arc 1 is what's the deus machina there. Do you not even know what Deus ex Machina is?

3. I'm not arguing with your points about SAO and AoT because the examples you gave are present in the anime you think are superior, so unless you're gonna deny that they aren't there, then you're basically doing double standards (which won't fly in any "debate", particularly with "smart people"), here are those:

Slow Progression (present in Conan, even worse actually, 100 episodes, 1 phone call, wow. That's totally a good character progress, it basically does nothing except to prove to Ran that Shinichi is safe)
One dimensional character (DtB, the contractor plot even enforces and embraces one dimensional characters)
Forced drama (again Conan, those I killed somebody because I caught him cheating, but will use an extremely intricate plot that somehow I managed to think but didn't think to just hire a killer or stab said person in the street because reasons or Hattori is tsundere for his gf but not gf moments, and Kaiji with false sympathisizing the victims of the game)

Shock Factor (Kaiji kek)

No development (Ran and Conan and Hattori and what's her name and Ran's bestfriend and the judo guy are still stuck in relationship limbo in how long is it now?)

Unlikable characters (that's objective now? wut, besides, the kid troupe in Conan is annoying af for a lot of the fanbase)

Bad dialogue(what? what constitutes that. If you're making dialogue a point then every anime is shit compared to the likes of Seikai no Monshou)

Not every character has to be overblown (or epic moments) (kek, tell that to Kaiji again)

Trying too hard to be a mystery (If the female titan, then kek, that was so obvious, it's not a mystery. The mystery in the series are:what the titans are, secrets of the wall, and what's in the basement. Those are central to the plot and saying the series attempting to reach those goals is wrong is like saying Black organization in Conan is forced)

So unless you manage to prove that these are invalid points (cause it's better is not an argument), then you're basically fighting your own opinions.

3. Better debater? Do read what you have written, you've yet to prove your own opinions (ironically) wrong. Oh and PS, you are the one who set up the standards and can't even back up why.
Feb 28, 2018 6:59 PM

Aug 2014
StarSwoardsman said:
Beruang said:

Not true. Teens can watch them in the same way that I watched certain R rated films like Fight Club and shows when I was a kid/teen. But, I would never show a kid FMA:BA and sure as hell would show them Death Note. Both have mature topics that aren't for kids and barely for teens. They could enjoy it from
an entertainment standpoint. But, not actually understand it

You saying that is lumping it into the same group as Digimon Tri. C'om man.

Beruang said:
Attack On Titan is still a huge hit and has garnered comparisons to

Nope. Only by the haters. But, if you look up what critics have to say, it's generally gotten positive reviews. Hell, even on fan driven sites like MAL and IMDB it's gotten good reviews. The haters are just loud.

And look it up yourself. I'm not going out of my way for some rude poster.

FMA and Death Note are shounen, so yes, they are aimed towards older kids and teenagers.
I just went on to IMDB, clicked on the first critic review and they rated SAO a 2/5.
There wouldn't be so many haters if it was a good anime, I rarely see people hating on things like FMA or Steins;Gate. SAO is the definition of average, pretty visuals and nice music doesn't make a good anime, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, you can still enjoy the average and bad.
And I did search up the AoT / BB comparison and couldn't find anything, hence why I'm asking you to show me.
#dicksoutforhughmungus
Feb 28, 2018 9:14 PM
Aug 2016
Meh, I recommended Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Monogatari Series to some of my friends who already watch anime and another friend who's starting to watch anime.

Sure, popular hits from the MaL Top List may be a great starting point, but there are others who might not want to watch those popular hits.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can Anime Elves Become Overweight ?

tchitchouan - Yesterday

12 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 8 hours ago

32 by aanj1n »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

72 by ChouunShiryuu »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

76 by velvetnyan »»
24 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.