Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 24, 2018 6:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol beach episode. Ichigo seemed pretty happy about coming there along with the guys of course.

Fan service came out in full force with the camera angles lul
Episode felt pretty self aware. Thanks to the male characters I kinda like Zero Two's hairstyle this episode tbh. Thought this episode was pretty relaxing, away from all the battle drama and refreshing.

Mitsuru and Kokoro also had a neat little moment, wonder how they plan to develop their relationship for rest of the season. Also a special ED for this episode. (probably just for this one because of the beach theme)
Stark700Feb 24, 2018 7:01 AM
Feb 24, 2018 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
Ah that was a great episode, i really liked Zorome in this one and the last part was especially great, i really wanna know the last OST used tho... also the oni aids seems to have left a scar.

Feb 24, 2018 7:10 AM

Nov 2010
Slow pace as usual and a fan service episode has come. Unexpectedly, Ichigo is the flattest among the girls.
Feb 24, 2018 7:14 AM

Apr 2015
Really comfy episode that did lots to flesh out the cast and its whole dynamic.

Zero Two seems more clingy than usual probably because she now knows that Hiro has proven himself and will not leave her. On the other side she clearly has a hard time fitting into this whole group as they know each other since childhood and she has probably never socialized in such a way. We know from Episode 1 that she find their way of life beautiful so she probably envies them for it but is hesitant to join them.

The group is seeing remains of human civilization for the first time and its quite bizarre for them. I believe Kokoro took that book about babies with her and with that she'll be one of the first to break through Papa & co's teaching which basically amounted to leaving them clueless about that kind of stuff.

Overall great episode to flesh out & develop characters, dwell on existing dynamics and create new ones.
Feb 24, 2018 7:26 AM

Nov 2009
A good worldbuilder with comfy beach shenanigans, they have to do something about this very one sided love triangle though because if Ichigo doesn't win or get anywhere with her feelings for Hiro at all its going to end up stifling her as a character.
Feb 24, 2018 7:32 AM

Apr 2015
haydnwright said:
A good worldbuilder with comfy beach shenanigans, they have to do something about this very one sided love triangle though because if Ichigo doesn't win or get anywhere with her feelings for Hiro at all its going to end up stifling her as a character.

I agree. I think there will be a key moment in which it's made clear to her that he really belongs to Zero Two ( I put my bets on their eventual escape just how Zero Two pretty much proposed to Hiro twice ). I can see her appreciating Goro as her partner and as a human more and more so that she can eventually find her happiness with him.
Feb 24, 2018 7:46 AM
Jan 2018
so ichigo lost with 02 or seems that Ichigo kissing Hiro in episode 2 was a way to establish the triangle... i see 02 so sad this ep, however is confirmed
And dr franxx tell hiro, "use the head, not the heart" who knows what he meant....
Angel942Feb 24, 2018 8:25 AM
Feb 24, 2018 8:20 AM

Nov 2007
What are the chances of letting them go out in a pretense of letting them enjoy a break and but in reality to let them find out more about the human civilization of the past? I mean one of the buildings in that area was of which their dorm is modeled after. To stop in a place like this can only mean there is something going on behind the scenes.

The only part that bothered me is 016 getting flustered seeing 9'α up close was not really needed but possible tragedy flag is raised the moment they started talking about 016 and 002 to always be together.

I thought the best character of this episode was 015. She seems to still hope that 016 would look her way but she has the heart to accept 002 as well. I am so gonna check the 2ch boards to see the reactions of the fans in Japan. Poor souls don't even realize that they are being shown this delicious strawberry on top of the cake only to be taken away the moment they are about to take a bite, haha!

Another thing I noted that 056 is now really seeing 015 romantically. But perhaps like everyone else, he doesn't realize what it really means to see someone romantically. I wasn't expecting him to join with 666 and 214 to corner 016 like that.

The episode also touched again on 666's fixation with becoming an adult which I reckon will come to haunt him and everyone else when the truth is revealed. I think he is too into it so it will come to hurt him the most. He is on for a dangerous revelation. Although I loved his interactions with 214 for boys being boys. And of course the way he wrapped his arm around 016 before saying they are buddies.

I also liked the fact that 556 picked up a book related to babies with the title "First Time Giving Child Birth". If she keeps it and reads the content I don't think things will be the same again. Anyways, there does seem to be something between her and 326. As Hayami Saori mentioned in her interview we see 556 again got in a situation with her and 326 on their own. At this moment, it looks like 326 is still an outsider while the others have slowly warmed up to one another, forming a deeper bond.

I would prefer for the fans to be able to see this episode beyond just the fanservice. The major plus is this episode also managed to flesh out all the Children and every single one of them had some sort of development which will do the anime good in the long run. For the first time it seemed like that all of the Children are main characters as the official website claims them to be.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 24, 2018 8:41 AM

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:

I would prefer for the fans to be able to see this episode beyond just the fanservice. The major plus is this episode also managed to flesh out all the Children and every single one of them had some sort of development which will do the anime good in the long run. For the first time it seemed like that all of the Children are main characters as the official website claims them to be.

This, so much. I get that some people might have their problems with this kind of setting at this point but it's by no means the meat of the episode. For those people, see it on the bright side. You got it out of the way now. For me it's been a blast since we could actually see them being, well teens for once ( aside from the sudden interruption by reality ). I think the show will definitely benefit from having this episode moving forward.
Feb 24, 2018 9:01 AM

Feb 2018
OP changed a little bit.

https://i.imgur.com/jeuBjEQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/4Hx7HQ9.gifv

The diamond is now black at the end while he was white before.
Feb 24, 2018 9:08 AM

Jul 2014
Ah the inevitable fanservice episode, love triangle kicking in at full speed and some world building, the last boss will definitely be those "papa's" they're talkin about,they definitely did something shrewd that lead to all this.
Feb 24, 2018 9:10 AM
Jan 2018
Tomlora said:
OP changed a little bit.

who knows what it will mean
Feb 24, 2018 9:13 AM
Nov 2015
Oh, come on, A1... Did you really need to sneak the ubiquitous beach episode into this anime?

Even the most cliched line of all beach episode is there.

Two good episodes amongst seven, I can't bear to watch this any longer.
felipeliborioFeb 24, 2018 9:43 AM
Feb 24, 2018 9:22 AM

Feb 2018
Angel942 said:
Tomlora said:
OP changed a little bit.

I don't think it's very important.
Feb 24, 2018 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
Man, Hiro is such an asshole... They are pushing 02 forward so much but so far she has been mostly insufferable. Only that other girl with glasses is as bland or jarring to watch.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 24, 2018 9:31 AM

Jan 2009
Ichigo best girl although best girls never win lol
Feb 24, 2018 9:32 AM
Aug 2017
Trash episode just because they overuse the fucking overused fanservice beach
episode ffs. They could've just stayed on the forest making a night camp or something.

Zero 2 should learn some new bitch tricks besides licking his partner's face. It's like the 5th time she does the same.

The only good thing was to see some about the lore when they found those old houses from the "old" world. Oh, and the ending with ichigo and hiro maybe, it's funny and interesting to see how she's constantly putting herself in the friendzone dump.
Feb 24, 2018 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
Dr. FranXX advice to Hiro is to use his brain more than his heart when dealing with Zero Two because really Zero Two consumes your emotions lol
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Good episode. Didnt think it'd be a beach one but ill take it nonetheless. I liked seeing the cast have their fun after the battles they've been through. Also it was nice that they ventured off and saw how the world outside of their plantation was really like.

Also yet another episode where I gotta say #ripIchigo as she tried to tell Hiro that she likes him but nope, he just has to conveniently cut her off. smh Hiro

Looking forward to the next episode.

Aug 2013
felipeliborio said:
Oh, come on, A1... Did you really need to sneak the ubiquitous beach episode into this anime?

Of course. Obligatory beach episode is obligatory. And first of all, why they shouldn't?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 24, 2018 9:36 AM

Dec 2009
Kokoro's book is going to lead to sex between pairs for sure. This entire series has been a metaphor for sex, might as well do it for real.

Nice refreshing episode. Zorome-bro is bro.
Feb 24, 2018 9:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A episode to relax with confessions and fanservice ;)
Feb 24, 2018 9:37 AM
Jan 2018
Tomlora said:
Angel942 said:

I don't think it's very important.

maybe the black color is intended as something harmful
Feb 24, 2018 9:41 AM

Feb 2018
Well... decent episode (plotwise) we could see thry are completely imcompetent when it comes to love (not their fault tho), zero two being posesive (once again, not surprised) hiro being... hiro, nice info about those two, dr franxx being useful, kokoro learning about sex. Am i missing something?
Feb 24, 2018 9:45 AM
Jun 2016
good ep a-1 and trigger can do no wrong
Feb 24, 2018 9:46 AM

Jun 2015
The obligatory beach episode, but it fleshed out the characters more. They visited an abandoned city where people used to live at. One of the buildings in that place was used to model their dorm after. Everyone had a nice time.
Feb 24, 2018 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
It doesn't make sense the guardians of the plantation being outside like that. There is no possibility of kyoryuu sudden attacks? I doubt they could run in time to get the Franxx.

If the plantation itself is fishy, why doesn't it have supervision from other people? They are able to explore and read books free from other peoples watch. It can be a plot hole in the making here. Some exploration made of necessity would make more sense.

There were several ways to make fanservice, but not a beach popping out of nowhere. Wasted scenario for something more dark to develop.

At least the death flag is now raised on Ichigo. Good riddance.

AdrianRubinskyFeb 24, 2018 9:51 AM
Feb 24, 2018 9:49 AM
Dec 2017
Damn I don’t know who to ship... At first I was like all by zero two’s side but ichigo in the last three episodes is changing my mind... I really hope it doesn’t go in the Kiznaiver/ef a tale of memories where the childhood friend ends up with someone else putting Ichigo with Goro (i’m pretty sure it’ll go in this way) but at the same time I’m on zero two’s side too... I don’t know
Feb 24, 2018 9:49 AM

Jan 2009
blazehero said:
Kokoro's book is going to lead to sex between pairs for sure. This entire series has been a metaphor for sex, might as well do it for real.

imagine the doujins for their first time learning sex with that Kokoro's found sex book
Feb 24, 2018 9:51 AM

Sep 2015
>tfw it was actually the beach episode
Brace yourselves, the haters are coming.
Feb 24, 2018 9:53 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
After such a hard fought battle its only right that the squad is given time to chill. Nice that he's now officially a parasite though. The rulers continue to be enigma's with their plans though. The kiss discussion sure was hillarious. The ghost town served as a great reminder of how much humanity has lost though. The discussion about the surface though was pretty interesting though. Its nice to see the squad accept Hiro and Zero as one of their own though. The star talk between Hiro and Ichigo was cute though. Quite the relaxing episode but also one that introduced some interesting discussions about the past. The new ending theme was a fun song though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2018 9:59 AM

Dec 2014
Jesus, a beach episode I actually liked. Animation was stellar in this one, which I thought was funny because other episodes don't compare despite being more action-filled.

Was expecting some "this is Deneb, Altair, Vega" shit while Ichigo and Hiro were looking at the stars. Way too cute.
I need sleep.
Feb 24, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 2010
Interlude with the obligatory beach episode, but even with the clichè they show us a piece of the previous human civilization. Love triangle grow strong. Zero Two is gargeous even with a one piece bathing suit. :D
The weakest episode so far but is ok, better than a recap.

3/5
Fn76Feb 24, 2018 10:04 AM
Feb 24, 2018 10:03 AM

Dec 2014
That was a fine episode, in more ways that one of course. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Can't believe some people are actually complaining about this, this episode was really fun to watch with so many subtle hints and developments.

I loved the part where the guys were admiring the view, that was hilarious. Especially when Goro joined Zorome and Futoshi and both of them were like, I see, you're a man of culture as well. XDD

All the girls looked fabulous, special mentions for 002 and Kokkoro.

Dr.FranxXx with the warning to Hiro about 002. :o

It was funny when the guys were all curious about what a kiss was.

Interesting, the kids wandered into the remnants of humanity. This poses a lot of interesting questions about the setting and what was the trigger that forced mankind to now live in plantations. Zorome talking about magma energy seems to hint that humanity's use possibly misuse of magma energy might have triggered the awakening of the klaxosaurs or something even worse.
I also find it intriguing that the dome in their plantation is modeled after the ruins the kids found, definitely bodes the questions if this little relaxation time was actually one.

Kokkoro picking up the book about babies might lead to some developments. Lot of hints towards a Goro developing romantic feelings towards Ichigo.
The night walk under the stars at the beach between Hiro and Ichigo was great. I did facepalm a little when Hiro interrupted Ichigo when she was talking but I guess it's fine because it was for the shooting stars.

My only complaint for the entire series so far is that it's done nothing to make Hiro more likable to me, he's just far too much like a bland LN Harem protagonist.
Feb 24, 2018 10:04 AM
Apr 2016
Good epísode after all. They made a fanservice beach episode to explore the main cast dinamycs and to make great wordlbuild there, and explained us the political structure: the adults make decisions, the youngs fight for them and want to be adults. I see metaphors for comming at age, but this needs to be better explored. Also, it's confirmed they live in a post apocaliptic Japan and the cause to this is the exploration of magma. To end, Kokoro found a book about sex, things can get interestanting after that...
Feb 24, 2018 10:06 AM

Jun 2014
Ah yes, the inescapable beach episode. This one was at least somewhat interesting though, as the group came across things from the past. I'm glad to see some worldbuilding thrown in, instead of 100% fanservice.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 24, 2018 10:18 AM
Jul 2016
It was a good episode. I just hope people pay attention to the information, and do not complain about that weak fanservice that the episode offered.
Feb 24, 2018 10:19 AM

Apr 2015
spicychile said:
Jesus, a beach episode I actually liked. Animation was stellar in this one, which I thought was funny because other episodes don't compare despite being more action-filled.

Funny that you say this. The episodes produced by A-1 with their guest appearances tend to be a lot more polished and exceed in the character acting department. This week seems to be Eromanga Sensei's star animator at work and of course Tanaka's correction are ever so present, he really keeps everything nice looking. Trigger episodes while being visibly rough have small moment in which everything just visually skyrockets. It just sucks that they do not seem to bring their A-game so far.

Feb 24, 2018 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
While it's beach episode, Trigger/A1 tell more about the world, some characters began to question some things and as expected Ichigo don't give up.
Feb 24, 2018 10:25 AM

Jan 2015
Well it was actually very enjoyable, in love with this show more and more each time
Feb 24, 2018 10:27 AM

Oct 2014
I'm glad this wasn't just a fanservice beach episode. The world building stuff was sort of interesting but sort of unsurprising. It feels like we're always 2 twists ahead of the characters, which is sort of the point with this coming-of-age sci-fi thing they're going for. If they're going for anything at all... honestly I'm still not sure what this show is going for because there's not really enough evidence to support any interpretation. Maybe this is all just set-up for a different turn it will take later on. That's probably wishful thinking ;-;
Feb 24, 2018 10:30 AM
May 2013
This show keeps giving me dejavu of Evangelion
Feb 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Jun 2016
Gotta make more people like ichigo so they cry more when she loses/dies later yeno
Feb 24, 2018 10:34 AM

Nov 2012
Goro gained my respect this episode, I was starting to get a bit worried about him. I do feel like some characters were kind of different, Mitsuru showed no signs of salt about the MC + 02 or signs of his sickness, Mitsuru and his partner seem to have gone back to square 1 with antagonism between each other despite seeming to have connected a bit in prior episodes(in fact she seemed meaner towards him than she ever has been, and usually he was the jerk and she trying to make things better). Maybe it's different writers or something.
Jaywalker.
Feb 24, 2018 10:35 AM

Sep 2013
UMI DAAAA
What's the meaning of a kiss and finding an old city makes hiro have some doubts.
Feb 24, 2018 10:37 AM
Jul 2014
Notes as I'm watching the episode:

Overall, there are way too many flags being raised here to be counted. However, we now have the clear lines of the plot, now that the world has been fleshed out a little. This was a good episode, much more so than the one previously, because we got the details about the world that the previous episodes were missing; we can see the scale of the threat that the Klaxosaurs posed, and we begin to see the outlines of the narrative that the cult of Papa has used to justify itself, including the major hints that all is decidedly not as it seems. We also get Ichigo's "confession" at the end of the episode, effectively raising her death flag for all to see...

1. At 05:16, the scale between the plantation and the characters is completely off. No way they could fit a city inside that thing, much less fit the characters inside their homes.

2. 5:45-7:00: the degree to which the men are aware of their female partners sexually is actually a bit of a problem where the writing is concerned. For people who apparently don't even know what a kiss is, they're certainly aware sexually and (in the case of the girls) romantically. This becomes even more strained in credulity when the boys start interrogating Hiro at 10:30 through 11:17.

3. At 7:15, well if that isn't a death/tragedy flag...

4. At 7:45, whoa there, that's pretty sensual

5. Zero-Two's declaration about what a kiss is at 08:00 is pretty interesting. She claims that it's a declaration that "someone belongs to you" and "should only be done with someone you love." Well, she got the first part right, but the first part is obviously skewed through the lens of her own needs and desires, since a kiss is a display of affection rather than possession.

6. At 14:42. There's something much more profound going on here. The city (obviously Japanese) is mostly intact, so much so that there are still posters on the walls for the last product placement. Which begs the question: what happened to make people abandon the city like that? People don't abandon livable areas like that unless some sort of significant disaster occurs, like Chernobyl or Fukushima Daiichi. I can only imagine what would require such a cultural shift as to move from modern cosmopolitan to a quasi-cult where even the basics of romantic love have been forgotten.

7. 18:01 and here we have the seeds of doubt. What Mitsuru is saying is obviously the [i[Big Lie(TM)[/i] that's been peddled to them. Somehow, the Klaxosaurs are being created to enforce the cult, which is fueled by magma energy, not the other way around...the cast will undoubtedly find this out in due time.

8. 19:01. Naomi gets mentioned again. Her death (she can't be anything else at this point) will be pivotal in all this. The children discovering that she's dead and that she was somehow "reused" will be pivotal in them turning against the cult that they're presently supporting.

9. Ichigo's death flag has officially been raised.
firemagnetFeb 24, 2018 11:02 AM
Feb 24, 2018 10:37 AM

Sep 2014
felipeliborio said:

Two good episodes amongst seven, I can't bear to watch this any longer.

it was much more than just your regular beach episode

and it's not like beach episodes are anything bad to begin with
Feb 24, 2018 10:38 AM

Mar 2017
Well I'm curious about the book Kokoro found. Something about 'Your First Childbirth'
Feb 24, 2018 10:43 AM

Oct 2017
Fun episode! Zero Two in a swimsuit was fun hahaha. Some decent development between the characters a lot of curiosity regarding Papa and civilization.
Feb 24, 2018 10:43 AM

Sep 2013
The Ichigo in this episode was N U T T Y

Holy I haven't seen a love triangle this compelling in a while
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

597 by akiramado19 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

328 by Aazoka »»
Apr 6, 10:56 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

565 by otakuanity »»
Mar 29, 12:11 AM

» How do we feel about this one years later? ( 1 2 3 )

sorames - Jun 10, 2023

114 by sunatsf »»
Mar 26, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

638 by SibunaC »»
Mar 4, 2:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.