Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 20, 2018 8:51 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Very infectious as usual with the adventure and optimism.

With that in mind and how the series has been so far, i can somewhat accept that they actually went OUTSIDE in a storm. Dangerous as shit still though.
Feb 20, 2018 8:53 AM

Sep 2013
Sea sickness is hard the first times but you get used to it.
There was a bad thing though, the earth is flat not round, other than that good ep.
Feb 20, 2018 9:13 AM
Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:
Sea sickness is hard the first times but you get used to it.
There was a bad thing though, the earth is flat not round, other than that good ep.
my thoughts exactly, gave the anime 1/10 for assuming the earth is round
Feb 20, 2018 9:14 AM

Apr 2015
5/5
This is my favorite episode from this anime, hilarious and the pacing is perfect.
Since we have 5 episodes left, I hope they will at least stay 3-4 episodes in the Arctic and have an episode or a ride back home... something like that.
Feb 20, 2018 9:45 AM

Apr 2010
The girls being sea sick was really funny to watch tho all of them getting sea sick was unexpected.
I have to say the part with the huge waves was nice as well, i wan't to be in a ship with such was as well sometime just for the experience.
I think it would be nice.
And the moment they went outside, guess they have to do more laundry.
Feb 20, 2018 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
Another excellent episode. Loved that opening shot, can't wait to see them recreate it on Antarctica.
Shirase is still hilariously bad in front of a camera and the training was also funny.
Bit dangerous to go out in those waves, but the look of wonder on their faces was great. As was the insert song, One Step, which is on the ED CD.

Talking of:
vicexxv said:
Definitely AOTS. Late watching since my pre-ordered cd of opening and ending came earlier and I was playing it the entire time and I forgot the time of the airing LOL

At first I was like how?, mine haven't even shipped (due out tomorrow), then I checked your location and then I was like "oh, that's how" and then I was like cool 😎
Feb 20, 2018 10:04 AM

Jan 2017
Hands down best episode of the season. Funny throughout, and the ending makes me look forward to next week even more!

Feb 20, 2018 10:24 AM

Feb 2018
So much to say...

-The episode started high with the ship leaving. I felt that moment to be very moving, we've been accompanying these girls throughout all the trouble and it felt very rewarding to see they made it, almost like it were us who departed.

-It's really starting to feel like an adventure now, that motivation moment in the cabin and then going out in the storm (despite that would be incredibly stupid in real life) were glorious.

-Needless to say, but I can't help being amazed at how astounding the colors and animation are. THAT GLITTERING SEA.

-Looks like Shirase isn't that responsible after all. First was Hinata's passport, then the laundry... She better be more focused in Antarctica.

-Post-credits scene announces another feel episode upcoming. Shirase will have to come to terms with the reality about her mother :'(

-With 5 episodes left, more than ever I wish this was a 2-cour series. The journey to Antarctica was certainly worth it, but the time there will feel short.
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Feb 20, 2018 10:29 AM

Jun 2015
It was funny to watch the girls experience for the first on how life is on a huge boat. They have finally arrived at their destination.
Feb 20, 2018 10:42 AM

Jan 2016
Another great episode. The part where Shirase was doing sit-ups was amazing
Feb 20, 2018 11:13 AM

Oct 2014
The key to a good anime is how, by the end of each episode, it makes you want to watch the next episode. The more anxious you are when it makes you wait, the better. This law is true to every genre, even to iyashikei sol.

8 episodes, never a single second Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho manages to make me bored.
Each and every second invokes me, repays me tens and tens of what I have invested as a watcher: time, internet quota, staying up late night, but most importantly attention and emotion.

AOTS.
Now I only pray it can land a solid end... or a Season 2.
Feb 20, 2018 11:25 AM
Feb 2016
Definitely my favourite episode aside from Yuzuki's introduction. They've finally reached Antarctica, let's hope the trip will be worthwhile.
Feb 20, 2018 11:34 AM

May 2016
Between the exercise and sea sick scenes this episode was hilarious.
Feb 20, 2018 11:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Mystery solved indeed. I love the fact that they actually explain the unusual look of someone in a show with something reasonable (and funny to boot).

I've been outside on a ferry in the North Atlantic and it can be pretty scary when you experience the waves and the cold spray constantly hitting everything. They're a very happy go lucky lot laughing like that in the face of the weather.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 20, 2018 12:03 PM

Sep 2017
i went on a ship for a week about a month ago so I could totally understand how nasty being seasick is,and also being land sick after wards aha.
But yeah beautiful visuals and interesting episode as usual,and when they all opened the door while there was basically a storm outside,it gave me some real bad anxiety (。-_-。),i was so uneasy I thought one of then was going to slip through the gaps or something

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Feb 20, 2018 12:32 PM
Jun 2016
I can't believe I wasn't going to watch this series at first. Glad I did this is my favorite new series for this season. The ost is amazing!
Feb 20, 2018 12:44 PM

Oct 2017
Another amazing episode that, more me, personally tops all the others again. They've been doing great at making episodes that keep getting better and better without anything boring happening. Everything's always fun to watch, and to just see how the girls overcome the hardships they encounter, like seasickness for them this episode.

I'm so happy that they're finally going to Antarctica, but at the same time getting a little sad because of those end scenes hinting things and finale falling near.

THAT INSERT SONG THOUGH. When they all rushed outside to see the waves I was screaming, I want to get all the songs on CD or anything. They're all just so beautiful and this one especially was very very good.
Feb 20, 2018 12:44 PM

Feb 2007
Well, damn, looks like that peeler was a good idea after all... :D

No one appreciates Mari's skill in cutting hair. Admittedly, with good reason...

Seasickness is a horrifying enemy...

Stories of scary degrees. :D And don't forget, the Mountains of Madness are awaiting in Antarctica.

Getting better in the end, though, with Mari pulling everyone along this time.
Feb 20, 2018 1:19 PM

Feb 2013
Getting on deck in that weather seemed really dangerous. I actually felt the excitement in that scene.

I have never been on a ship but I would think they would be prohibited from getting on deck during that time. Anyone has experience with this?
Feb 20, 2018 1:29 PM

Feb 2014
Living out at sea is certainly tough, and the girls had a huge dose of seasickness that took them by surprise. Not only are the training exercises are tough, but the excess amount of food are putting them under pressure.

So it's really satisfying to see the four of them battle on and overcome their frailties and improve bit by bit. It was ballsy of them to go out into the storm to get a closer look at the huge waves, but it was a really epic scene alright. =)

Mari's words near the end of the episode before the edge of Antarctica came into view simply powerful and memorable. Once again, this show really wants to make myself go on an adventure of somekind. Maybe not as ambitious as Antarctica, but as long as the adventure is filled with excitement, beautiful scenery and done with friends, then I couldn't ask for more. =D

Overall, this is probably my favourite episode so far. The post-credits scene with the white flowers felt really sombre. I sense a feels-like episode on the horizon soon...
Feb 20, 2018 1:32 PM

Dec 2017
This was the only episode so far where I regretted eating lunch and watching at the same time. (Seasick woo hoo)

Imagine if one (or more) of them had been thrown overboard during the storm scene.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Feb 20, 2018 1:44 PM

Apr 2008
Vacillated between this and Yurucamp, but watching this episode I have realized this is my AOTS. This show is a miracle. The girls are truly alright.

On another topic, looks like Shirase's mother is truly a goner, huh? It's not like it was a secret in the first place, it's only Shirase who didn't accept it just yet. The whole expedition might be about finally laying her to rest, even if only symbolically.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Feb 20, 2018 2:06 PM

Jan 2016
It's getting a bit silly of how amazing every episode is, I'm shocked every episode of how perfect it is but can't describe it to people I know.
Feb 20, 2018 2:16 PM

Sep 2015
Another great episode! Sadly most people are not even watching. =/
Feb 20, 2018 2:24 PM

Nov 2014
They arrived. The adventure they look for is just ahead.
Great episode
Feb 20, 2018 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
Shirase is still awkward on camera even after all that training...

For someone with a weak stomach like myself, I don't like rocking ships or rollercoasters for that matter ... however they played it nicely in this episode. Their faces were priceless. I simply couldn't help but laughing, but reality is hard since I would be exactly the same if I were on that ship!

The destination is in sight, can't wait for next week!
Feb 20, 2018 2:57 PM

Oct 2010
This show is so amazing and the episodes are so wholesome and nice to watch that it bugs me to say that I actually didn't like this one near as much as the previous, and much worse, that I consider it a step back in terms of the quality progression of the series.

Again, this is not something I want to sound too negative because the episode is still a very good experience and I love almost everything about it, heck, even the third act where most of my issues come from is still good and lovely and I would probably not be complaining at all if it wasn't a series I'm loving so much and I see so much potential for yet.

My main issue with this show, since its very beginning, is the music. It's not exactly that it sounds bad. The pieces are fine and all. But the show has had some relatively major problems meshing them rightly with the aesthetic and mood of the scenes. In this episode there are two big sequences where the inserted song seems to go its own way instead of accompanying the action. I know this is subjetive and not everybody is going to agree with this but I guess I don't manage to find its use of tracks organic enough. And it bugs me mainly because, despite it's been there as a flaw to me for a while, lately it seemed to have improved greatly, and the last episode was even remarkably amazing at it.

Another thing that bugged me here is Mari. I've come to accept her sort of sugary speeches as a character trait, but again, the episode is trying to tell me that these speeches are genuinely touching and emotional. And since I find them overemphasized, I can't relate. They make those scenes feel rather fake and emotional pandering.

This would be a 4/5 to me which even after the negativity of this comment looks kinda low, because I really enjoyed it. Again, the series is amazing and the episode captures its greatness. It just happens to also capture its flaws in a way that, due to context and the progression of the story, I feel magnified to the point they rub me the wrong way.
Feb 20, 2018 2:58 PM

Feb 2018
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
Getting on deck in that weather seemed really dangerous. I actually felt the excitement in that scene.

I have never been on a ship but I would think they would be prohibited from getting on deck during that time. Anyone has experience with this?

Yes, normally the crew would prohibite anyone going out there with the storm. The issue is that the girls themselves are part of the crew, and the adults already had their hands full. As for the door itself, I am not familiar with expeditionary ships but due to the nature of the climate they're going to encounter I think they should have some kind of hard-lock system. Could also be that as part of the crew they were taught how to open them, trusting that nobody would be reckless as Kimari XD
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Feb 20, 2018 3:28 PM
Oct 2017
All i need was in this one episode.

So good, so hilarious, so educational, so enjoyable.
This episode has its own sensation.
GGWP
Feb 20, 2018 3:41 PM

Dec 2015
Yo, I was so worried when they went onto the deck during the storm. Whatcha doin girls???

Anyways, this show is a MASTAAAPIECE. So good.
Feb 20, 2018 3:55 PM

May 2015
Damn, these girls had a hard time on the ship. I can't imagine how tough Antarctica will be.

Speaking of Antarctica, they finally arrived, and those final moments were superb!

Great episode.

Feb 20, 2018 3:58 PM

Mar 2015
Great episode.

I wondered last week which girl would get seasick, I hadn't guessed that ALL of them would lol.

Loved the exhaustion after the workout scenes, galley duty, but the best was them taking ownership of the fact that they CHOSE to be there and then reached down, grabbed their resolve in both hands, and overcame adversity.

Loved the flowers for her mother at the end.
The sword that takes life gives life
Feb 20, 2018 4:42 PM

Sep 2013
This series keeps getting better and better. These girls are such a joy to watch.

Feb 20, 2018 5:36 PM
Sep 2015
The last part was awesome. What's the title of that BGM?
Feb 20, 2018 5:43 PM
Oct 2017
at the beginning of the episode Shirase wanted to save Tamari or she wanted to kill her?
Feb 20, 2018 5:52 PM

Jan 2011
too many great moments so i'll just say the directing is still top tier longest time i wondered about her bangs and so did the rest of the girls lol.

this show hasn't had a bad episode yet and this was a another good one but after all the fun it ended on a sad note :(
Feb 20, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
This episode gave a fine impression of how grueling sea travel can be. The part where they don't realize Dramamine wears off! LOL. Also the endurance exercises running along the deck with the ship being a lot larger when you're running as opposed to just strolling along. The climactic scene when the girls decide to brave the storm and waves was sheer magic! That lovely insert song.....
Feb 20, 2018 6:13 PM

Nov 2007
Eight episodes in and I have yet to find anything to complain about this anime! It just keeps on getting better and better and better by each passing week! It is really becoming one of the genuine contenders for AOTS for me! Watch out Yuru Camp!

Every time the insert songs kick in in this anime makes me feel rejuvenated! That's how amazing they have been. Add to that, the humours and fun moments are spot on most of the time!

This anime makes it feel all too real. I feel like I am really on a journey with these four adorable girls! The difficulties they are overcoming, the passion they are showing, the experience they are having, everything these girls are going through makes me feel really close to them!

Eight straight 5/5s.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 20, 2018 7:35 PM

Nov 2013
Seasick and puke episode. Riding a ship for a long time must be hard. Also, the scene where they're going out on the storm was amazing, but in real life it could be very dangerous lol

Lucy-is-onemagic said:
From the ED credit the title is 'One Step', the vocal are the 4 main characters.
Feb 20, 2018 7:52 PM

Nov 2012
Ha! Typical voyage problems. It was refreshing to see them doing what I experienced years ago as a sea cadet. Now that I'm a full-fledged officer it's rather ironic that I can't even experience what they're doing now: going to Antarctica! :_;

AbeldeMedici said:

Yes, normally the crew would prohibite anyone going out there with the storm. The issue is that the girls themselves are part of the crew, and the adults already had their hands full. As for the door itself, I am not familiar with expeditionary ships but due to the nature of the climate they're going to encounter I think they should have some kind of hard-lock system. Could also be that as part of the crew they were taught how to open them, trusting that nobody would be reckless as Kimari XD

Well actually it's not that farfetched as a hard lock system but usually it's a system composed of a watertight sealed door with dogs or wedges coupled with a normal fireproof door and a compartment in between.

MetaThPr4h said:
Going outside with that weather was suicidal as fuck, wtf.

Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Haha indeed, if it were done irl you could've been reported for non-conformity to safety regulations (going outside in inclement weather), that is if you're caught, and risk being in a man-overboard situation. But hey, we need it for the drama and a dose of S E I S H U N, y'know. And this is one show that delivers it just right.
SeaJaegerFeb 20, 2018 8:37 PM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Feb 20, 2018 8:03 PM

Sep 2008
Watching this show reminds me of why I love anime so much and how powerful and real it can be, compared with "western" animated stuff. Great episode, great show. I've never been to Antarctica (well of course I haven't!) but I feel this is exactly what the journey by ship would be like.
Feb 20, 2018 8:06 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Kimari and friends with those interviews was so cringy. Shirase with that smile and then afterward with the microphone xD

I've never been on a boat that is moving so I don't know about sea sickness. They should have carried medicine at least. These girls exercised without properly stretching as well, i'm surprised Kimari didn't get a cramp.
Must be pretty difficult to not fall down in a ship during turbulent weather. The girls watching them huge waves, dumbest thing ever. They got lucky they didn't get pulled to sea.
Overall it was a rather fun episode.

Feb 20, 2018 10:42 PM

May 2015
"It's this way!"

*Three seconds later....SLAP!*

"Itai!"

*Run the other way.* LOL now that's good comedy!

We need more Hinata to troll the crap out of everyone!

I've ridden a couple of boats. Never got seasick though. But I don't like reading while on a moving vehicle. I will get sick then..

"Last time this desk was up there." These waves are serious business. They actually showed the boat tilting from within the bedroom. Cool.

Oi...I know you girls are excited to be out in the storm and all...but after that crazy stunt, shouldn't all of them have gotten sick with a cold? Even I'm not that crazy. I wouldn't risk my health right before I reach Antarctica. I'd be completely useless...

Antarctica is straight ahead. I hope that ship is equipped to tackle on a few icebergs...
Feb 20, 2018 11:57 PM

Oct 2008
The Insert song of this episode is very awesome! really fits the setting of the scene!
wow! icebergs!
All four girls are seasick! And extreme storms! that was intense!
Anyone embarking to a journey to Antarctica should really toughen-up themselves!
Can anyone post an image or path of their Antarctic Circumnavigation Expedition? cuz on scene 15:36 it shows that they are going down from the south west of Australia? it that's just made-up image?
5/5.

Feb 21, 2018 12:01 AM
Jan 2015
I'm enjoying this series more and more every week, its so rewarding to watch these girls overcome what they have in both comedic and emotionally touching fashion.
My Queens

Feb 21, 2018 12:11 AM

Nov 2012
matias067 said:
The Insert song of this episode is very awesome! really fits the setting of the scene!
wow! icebergs!
All four girls are seasick! And extreme storms! that was intense!
Anyone embarking to a journey to Antarctica should really toughen-up themselves!
Can anyone post an image or path of their Antarctic Circumnavigation Expedition? cuz on scene 15:36 it shows that they are going down from the south west of Australia? it that's just made-up image?
5/5.

Nope, that's the actual route that they're taking based on the real-life Antarctic expedition's voyage onboard the Shirase icebreaker: http://www.nipr.ac.jp/jare/shirase/koukai58.html

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Feb 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Apr 2016
You don't go out on a boat unprepared when the sea is like that with such a storm. I will just suppose their cabin is quite high on the boat, which is then less dangerous. Even like that, knowing the force of tons of water, I was a bit frightened just thinking this could be real.

Well it's anime.

In RL, some people might have died like that.
Never underestimate the ocean!

Feb 21, 2018 2:47 AM

Jan 2011
Every week I'm reminded how much of a major disappointment it is that this is only 13 episodes.
Feb 21, 2018 4:20 AM

Dec 2015
"I cut my own bangs all the time!"

Hahahaha Mari is such a treasure!! This series is really on another level, still no drop on production quality.
~
Feb 21, 2018 5:52 AM

Nov 2012
Lucy-is-onemagic said:

SeaJaegerFeb 21, 2018 5:56 AM

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM

» Am i the only one who dropped this after 4 episodes?

Damazien - Jul 28, 2020

20 by MathMols »»
Feb 3, 1:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.