Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2018 12:06 AM
Oct 2016
I followed the (stupid) hype for this (insult for human intelligence of an) anime, but drop it at episode 2. This anime has great art and animation, but the direction is just...a mess (imo). It feels like KyoAni treated people animal or something, that attracted with shiny objects just because it is shiny, what the heck. People said that the novel is somewhat decent, (I never read it tho,) but I'm pretty sure novel and anime has differences (and they need to, to be decent). I enjoy something like Hyouka more than this, it's not the best I know, but it has....emotions (sorry, I'm not that good at explaining stuff), and good art and animation to further enhance it to some degree. While in violet Evergarden, both feel....separate (imo), even the music feel irrelevant to me. So...is it good now?

Edit: I know I'm kind of harsh in this, but I think it's totally okay if you like this show. This is just my opinion after all..
normanekoFeb 17, 2018 10:17 AM
Feb 17, 2018 12:22 AM

Aug 2017
No. Episode 6 six have the episodic format as episode 2. Stilll every episode is for a side character to 'felt' something for them (only episode 6 was canon, but it was rushed). Of course, the animation is still good.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 17, 2018 12:25 AM

Oct 2015
what exactly is wrong with the direction? The source material aside, it's still not a bad show like everyone makes it out to be. I'm still feeling the power of emotions on this show and it doesn't really feel 1-dimensional like most make it out to be as well. It was already good even up to now. All I see about the hate for the show is usually it's episodic nature and how most of it is anime original but there's clearly nothing wrong with the show. It's not even boring imo.
EGOISTFeb 17, 2018 12:30 AM
Feb 17, 2018 1:16 AM

Apr 2016
Violet isn't as annoying in those first 2 episodes and can at least smile, and novel content has finally started getting adapted (rushed though)

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 17, 2018 1:21 AM

Apr 2016
Its always funny to read about "(insult for human intelligence of an) anime" while people have GATE scored as 10/10, guess that's the community for you.

Never change.
Feb 17, 2018 2:12 AM
Oct 2016
Swagernator said:
Its always funny to read about "(insult for human intelligence of an) anime" while people have GATE scored as 10/10, guess that's the community for you.

Never change.

Ah sorry about that. You're right, their studio (GATE) doesn't seem to spend as much money on Art and Animation as KyoAni on Violet Evergarden. HOW COULD THEY!!! My bad, I'm the dumb one
Feb 17, 2018 3:12 AM
Oct 2016
EGOIST said:
what exactly is wrong with the direction? The source material aside, it's still not a bad show like everyone makes it out to be. I'm still feeling the power of emotions on this show and it doesn't really feel 1-dimensional like most make it out to be as well. It was already good even up to now. All I see about the hate for the show is usually it's episodic nature and how most of it is anime original but there's clearly nothing wrong with the show. It's not even boring imo.

I think an anime mainly about depression and/or mental issues shouldn't have this kind of art style. But instead, KyoAni think everyone is an idiot and throw something POINTLESSLY SHINY at them, regardless whether it make sense or not. I have a feeling (and I'm really sure about it) that KyoAni trying so hard to win some dumb anime and movie awards with this anime, and I hate that, it remind me of 2016 Crunchyroll Anime Awards.
Feb 17, 2018 3:15 AM

Mar 2015
Imo it has gotten better, but I mean it's still pretty much the same. Doubt you'll like it if you didn't like the first few episodes.
Feb 17, 2018 3:16 AM

Oct 2015
normaneko said:
EGOIST said:

I think an anime mainly about depression and/or mental issues shouldn't have this kind of art style. But instead, KyoAni think everyone is an idiot and throw something POINTLESSLY SHINY at them, regardless whether it make sense or not. I have a feeling (and I'm really sure about it) that KyoAni trying so hard to win some dumb anime and movie awards with this anime, and I hate that, it remind me of 2016 Crunchyroll Anime Awards.
Depression? I think you're completely missing the whole point of the anime. It soughts to answer the question "What is Love?" What exactly do you mean by the animation not fitting for the series? It is and the backgrounds are beautiful as well as its setting, LMAO I don't even know what to say with the "shiny" thing. It just doesn't make sense to me about why you're whining about the show's visual appeal. Yeah, the directing is a bit of an oscar-bait but that's just about it. Pretty pointless discussion if you aren't going to mention the flaws of the show since you're literally just complaining rather than make valid points on your opinion of the show.
Feb 17, 2018 3:27 AM
Feb 2018
The art isn't that waw and the animation isn't close to great to be honest
And why do you ask people if it became good since its score is 8.40 that mean yes and even if they all said no you may like it and if they said all yes you may still hate it so stop making shitty threads just to say that you think this anime is trash
Feb 17, 2018 3:31 AM
Feb 2018
normaneko said:
EGOIST said:

you don't even understand what the anime is about lmao do you really expect us to take your opinion on it seriously and if it was an anime about depression the art art would still fit that theme greatly
Feb 17, 2018 3:48 AM

Aug 2015
I think an anime mainly about depression and/or mental issues shouldn't have this kind of art style.

Are you actually an (insult for human intelligence) ?

LuftschlossFeb 20, 2018 12:09 PM
Feb 17, 2018 4:07 AM
Oct 2016
EGOIST said:
normaneko said:

Depression? I think you're completely missing the whole point of the anime. It soughts to answer the question "What is Love?" What exactly do you mean by the animation not fitting for the series? It is and the backgrounds are beautiful as well as its setting, LMAO I don't even know what to say with the "shiny" thing. It just doesn't make sense to me about why you're whining about the show's visual appeal. Yeah, the directing is a bit of an oscar-bait but that's just about it. Pretty pointless discussion if you aren't going to mention the flaws of the show since you're literally just complaining rather than make valid points on your opinion of the show.

Sorry, maybe "depression" is not the right word. But this anime is definitely not a happy-go-lucky anime. I admit that the art and animation is pleasing, but it doesn't...click too well with the setting imo. It doesn't support the story in any efficient way. Well, maybe I'm being too much of a hippie, but I honestly expected more from this anime. I expect this anime to be a "must watch", not a "hit or miss" kind of thing. Again, sorry I can't really explain things well, but some people (like me) certainly think that there's something "not right" or "missing" from this anime.

Oh, and I also think that the plot and characters in this anime is kind of weird and I think the some of the details are missing, or perhaps ignored idk. That's another reason I feel annoyed with this anime. Well, I might be wrong tho
normanekoFeb 17, 2018 4:53 AM
Feb 17, 2018 6:22 AM

Aug 2017
EGOIST said:
normaneko said:

'I see about the hate for the show' 'you're literally just complaining rather than make valid points on your opinion of the show'

*Overall score: 8.40 'hate'. Ok.

*'Valid points'. If i praise this show = valid point? Let me see my points: boring, slow, no character development in some episodes (some are just side character background, ex. ep. 4 and 5), someone tell Violet what happened to Gilbert (why nobody can't do that?), episode 6 rushed, episode 5 Violet is a side character, episode 4 Iris and family problems, episode 3 'i write some words to pass the course', episode 2 was funny (i like that) and episode 1 the flashbacks. Is 4/10 for me and i don't will give a much low score only for the animation. Nobody have the right to said what is a 'valid' point because all of us we think differently. See you!
NurguburuFeb 17, 2018 6:35 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 17, 2018 6:38 AM

Oct 2015
Burguburu said:
EGOIST said:

'I see about the hate for the show' 'you're literally just complaining rather than make valid points on your opinion of the show'

*'Valid points'. If i praise this show = valid point? Let me see my points: boring, slow, no character development in some episodes (some are just side character background, ex. ep. 4 and 5), someone tell Violet what happened to Gilbert (why nobody can't do that?), episode 6 rushed, episode 5 Violet is a side character, episode 4 Iris and family problems, episode 3 'i write some words and i pass the course', episode 2 was funny (i like that) and episode 1 the flashbacks. Is 4/10 for me and i don't will give a much low score only for the animation. Nobody have the right to said what is a 'valid' point because all of us we think differently.
Don't get me wrong, As far as what I've read from his posts he only complained about the shows art and animation not being fitting for the show. Can you please cite a point he said mentioning anything about the story? Because he hasn't

Let me give you a bigger picture regarding the 'hate'
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33352/Violet_Evergarden/forum?topic=other

I don't know if you've noticed but before the anime aired, it's mean score was around 8.70 but now it's 8.40. It's a pretty huge blow for an anime that was surrounded a lot of hype before it started. I can see this show falling on the low 8's if it continued at this pace(which most people do not like).

The haters are more vocal than the lovers as far as this site goes (episode discussions and to random comments).

I'm gonna say this again but please reread what OP has posted and tell to me what exactly has he/she said regarding the storyline. Because I see none. Don't give me that bullshit. Valid Points are there for debate which sparks up discussion which this thread doesn't really have.

What you mentioned are yes, example of valid points that are entitled to subjectivity but no one is really interested in what you have to say if you leave them at that. What makes it boring? slow? etc. Stopping there is just too vague and it feels more like you don't have a good feel for the show. Buzzwords aren't enough if you're going to try to start a discussion.

Valid(Acceptable) point does not equate to good points just so you won't confuse them. Valid points are points that can be seen in the show, it can be good or bad (entitled to subjectivity).

I don't really give a fuck if you give it a 1/10 or a 10/10.
EGOISTFeb 17, 2018 6:48 AM
Feb 17, 2018 6:47 AM
Jan 2018
slow but sure this show try to revealed curiousity about love from MC but after a half of story we can conclude that this show is runs so rushed and jumped from one episode to the other one and for some people it will confusing cause you'll saw the story like a big puzzles, piece in here and the other there, anyway I like it because it make me questions what will happen next and I hope Kyoani not ruins my expectations
Feb 17, 2018 7:21 AM
Oct 2016
EGOIST said:
Burguburu said:

*'Valid points'. If i praise this show = valid point? Let me see my points: boring, slow, no character development in some episodes (some are just side character background, ex. ep. 4 and 5), someone tell Violet what happened to Gilbert (why nobody can't do that?), episode 6 rushed, episode 5 Violet is a side character, episode 4 Iris and family problems, episode 3 'i write some words and i pass the course', episode 2 was funny (i like that) and episode 1 the flashbacks. Is 4/10 for me and i don't will give a much low score only for the animation. Nobody have the right to said what is a 'valid' point because all of us we think differently.
Don't get me wrong, As far as what I've read from his posts he only complained about the shows art and animation not being fitting for the show. Can you please cite a point he said mentioning anything about the story? Because he hasn't

I don't know if you've noticed but before the anime aired, it's mean score was around 8.70 but now it's 8.40. It's a pretty huge blow for an anime that was surrounded a lot of hype before it started. I can see this show falling on the low 8's if it continued at this pace(which most people do not like).

The haters are more vocal than the lovers as far as this site goes (episode discussions and to random comments).

I'm gonna say this again but please reread what OP has posted and tell to me what exactly has he/she said regarding the storyline. Because I see none. Don't give me that bullshit. Valid Points are there for debate which sparks up discussion which this thread doesn't really have.

What you mentioned are yes, example of valid points that are entitled to subjectivity but no one is really interested in what you have to say if you leave them at that. What makes it boring? slow? etc. Stopping there is just too vague and it feels more like you don't have a good feel for the show. Buzzwords aren't enough if you're going to try to start a discussion.

Valid(Acceptable) point does not equate to good points just so you won't confuse them. Valid points are points that can be seen in the show, it can be good or bad (entitled to subjectivity).

You just didn't like it when people insult something you like, well, that's normal I guess. Sorry if I offend you. Also, I think you and some other missing my point. I only watch the first 2 episodes of this anime, and I didn't read the novel, as I stated earlier. So how can I give an "accurate" or "detailed" opinion about this show? I just give a vague (again, sorry about that) opinion about the show so that people can somehow imagine what kind of anime I can enjoy, and was wondering should I give it another try or not? If so, why?
Feb 17, 2018 7:25 AM

Aug 2017
EGOIST said:
Burguburu said:

EGOIST said:
Burguburu said:

I'm not defending anyone. Is just that (again) the word 'hate' appears:

*Yes, it's boring. Each flashback of filler or side character is tragic or overdramatic (nodoby get's tired of that?). Some happy flashback, please! The anime wants me to felt something about them? Is character development? 1) Yes, but is very repetitive. 2) Sometimes nope.

*Yes, it's slow. 1) Why they can't start the anime with episodes about the war and later with the tragic past of everybody? 2) I repeat myself 'someone tell Violet what happened to Gilbert (why nobody can't do that?)' This will solve the problem of our MC about what happened to him. 3) Episode 4 and 5 lacks of character development, is just filler so no progression. I forget said that the pacing is bad. The last episode was rushed. There is not normal pacing. Ep 1.3.4 and 5 very slow. Ep 2 and 6 rushed.

8.70? Because the anime was overhyped months ago. Is normal that now is 8.40, is not a 'huge blow' after 6 episodes. The 'hate' posts:

*overrated: the guy is just asking why have a higher score after just 1 or 2 episodes. I think that the best word must had been overhyped rather than overrated.

*If you don't like slice of life you won't like this anime: the girl is defending the anime with arguments.

*Violent Evergarden is 14 and a killing machine: more than hate is just that he doesn't know that 'teenage killer' is something common in the anime.

*Is it good now?: he was in the hype bandwagon of the show and now he is disappointed. Also he is praising the animation. Is more a rant rather than bashing the show. Everybody there had to write or think a rant about some anime.

The others post are not 'hate'. Also 'haters are more vocal than the lovers' is not true with this: 'Best ship?', 'Violet Evergarden is most beautiful anime girl !!!' (she is!) 'Is Violet Evergarden a robot?' 'Violet Evergarden seems similar to Letter Bee' 'Would this show be better if it was about her during the war?'. See ya.

NurguburuFeb 17, 2018 7:31 AM
Feb 17, 2018 7:28 AM

Oct 2015
normaneko said:
EGOIST said:

You just didn't like it when people insult something you like, well, that's normal I guess. Sorry if I offend you. Also, I think you and some other missing my point. I only watch the first 2 episodes of this anime, and I didn't read the novel, as I stated earlier. So how can I give an "accurate" or "detailed" opinion about this show? I just give a vague (again, sorry about that) opinion about the show so that people can somehow imagine what kind of anime I can enjoy, and was wondering should I give it another try or not? If so, why?
Hey man, I was talking to the other guy that quoted me. I don't have any particular attachment to the show and it's funny how you're assuming how I feel this time, cut it out. I don't really believe in the idea of judging a show if you haven't completed it yet along 1/4 of it because of their opinions lacking.

You probably shouldn't give it another try, as I said before the show retained it's quality throughout those that have been released so far and since you disliked the first 2 episodes, I don't really see you liking the rest of the show unless a miracle happens which probably won't.

@Burguburu, check the episode discussions as well. Those are filled with it. (ep.2 - onwards)
Feb 17, 2018 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
I don't think anyone other than a hardcore kyoani fan could enjoy this. If you are, then you should keep watching.
Toshiya_Feb 17, 2018 12:57 PM
Feb 17, 2018 9:44 AM
May 2015
Burguburu said:
No. Episode 6 six have the episodic format as episode 2. Stilll every episode is for a side character to 'felt' something for them (only episode 6 was canon, but it was rushed). Of course, the animation is still good.

Episode 5 is apparently canon as well

https://mantan-web.jp/article/20180216dog00m200022000c.html
Feb 17, 2018 10:03 AM

Apr 2016
Eanraig said:
Burguburu said:

Episode 5 is apparently canon as well

https://mantan-web.jp/article/20180216dog00m200022000c.html

I'll have to check that out.
Major_GilbertFeb 17, 2018 10:07 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 17, 2018 10:08 AM
Oct 2017
Well...

I like this show just fine.
Feb 17, 2018 10:27 AM

May 2012
The show is already good from the start. I personally would rate it around 7/10 based on the 6 episodes I've seen

It is overrated and overhyped, but that does not mean it is bad. Mahoutsukai no Yome is even more overrated than this show
Feb 17, 2018 10:40 AM
Oct 2016
thepath said:
The show is already good from the start. I personally would rate it around 7/10 based on the 6 episodes I've seen

It is overrated and overhyped, but that does not mean it is bad. Mahoutsukai no Yome is even more overrated than this show

I rated Violet Evergarden 4/10, because I think this anime doesn't worth all those hype, especially from before this anime airs, and I regret hyping for it (stupid reason, I know). But if Violet has little to no hype, then yeah, I would also rate it around 7/10

I watched Mahotsukai, and I think it was interesting....on early episodes. But now it become relatively boring to watch. Dropping it on episode 15+ feels weird to me haha.
Feb 17, 2018 10:41 AM

May 2015
normaneko said:
thepath said:

I rated Violet Evergarden 4/10, because I think this anime doesn't worth all those hype, especially from before this anime airs, and I regret hyping for it (stupid reason, I know). But if Violet has little to no hype, then yeah, I would also rate it around 7/10

I watched Mahotsukai, and I think it was interesting....on early episodes. But now it become relatively boring to watch. Dropping it on episode 15+ feels weird to me haha.

Rating it a 4 just because it didn't live up to unrealistic hype? Ok...

Feb 17, 2018 10:45 AM
Mar 2015
normaneko said:
thepath said:

Thats a very stupid way to rate something imo but its your choice so whatever.
Feb 17, 2018 10:55 AM
Oct 2016
lequack said:
normaneko said:

Thats a very stupid way to rate something imo but its your choice so whatever.

Lol, I know. Actually I never rated anything (like apps, restaurants, movies, etc) less than half except when it doesn't work at all, or when my high expectation got betrayed. Yeah, I'm weird..
Feb 17, 2018 11:23 AM
Aug 2015
It depends on what you're looking for. There are currently 6 episodes, each one built in the same way: Violet mets the person she has to work for, she learns something about him/her, that person learns something about her or tries to understand her. She writes letters/do some writing, and then goodbye. These encounters enable her to learn new emotions, to become more aware of them, since she doesn't understand them properly and doesn't know how to express herself. Even if we get to learn more about Violet backstory as a soldier, it is mainly a slice of life that insists on the characters' feelings.

As a novel reader, I am kinda disappointed because the novel is good, really good according to me. The anime could have been more than what it is. At first, when I saw the novel PV, I thought that it was pretty and that could be a really good looking anime (more than what KyoAni usually do), and then, when I've read the novel, I thought that with that story, Violet Evergarden could be their best anime. BUT, it's KyoAni who's adapting it, not Wit Studio (unfortunately because I really think that the staff of Shingeki no Kyojin would have done a greater job on Violet Evergarden). Moreover, seeing Taichi Ishidate as the director destroyed all my hopes since he's the guy between Kyoukai no Kanata, one of the worst KyoAni animes, according to me.

Even if I wasn't in the hype train because of these points, I can understand why people were really looking forward to watch this show, since it seems different to what KyoAni usually do, since the visuals are pretty...
Personally, I do think that it is pretty, but not that amazing or gorgeous, nothing spectacular. We can see that for each episode there is a certain color palette, there is a good diversity of backgrounds and I like it, but I don't find it normal to get more interested with the background than with the story, because yes, episode 2, 4 and 5 were annoying even if episode 4 and 5 had some good points, but I almost wanted to drop the show because of episode 2.
Episode 3 and 6 were the best. The 3th because it sticks with the novel content even if it was a filler, and the 6th because it was not a filler. I do admit that they made some changes, and they didn't develop the story properly, but it was a good episode. And I hope the next ones will be good to.

But clearly, for what it is now, the show doesn't deserve the hype. And it could have been a greater adaptation.
Feb 17, 2018 12:06 PM
Oct 2016
Thank you for all those inputs everyone, I really appriciate it. After reading some of the posts here, maybe I shouldn't watch this anime anymore. I should just stop being salty and move on.

Again, thanks everyone..
Feb 17, 2018 7:56 PM
Oct 2017
normaneko said:
Thank you for all those inputs everyone, I really appriciate it. After reading some of the posts here, maybe I shouldn't watch this anime anymore. I should just stop being salty and move on.

Again, thanks everyone..

Well yeah...

If you don't like the show, why force yourself through it?

So you can be that guy that doesn't like a popular show? Life's too short for that man.
Feb 18, 2018 8:27 AM
Aug 2017
Let's just say you can compare this to Clannad. Of course i'm not talking about the anime but the way people taking both of them. Many starters were recommended with Clannad, hearing this is one of the best out there. However, after trying (both 2 ss), they were like "mehh" (most of them are guys tho). I think they were just not used to some "pure" drama stuff and Violet is also the one like that. Hype has always been a thing in MAL, u know
Feb 18, 2018 8:33 AM

Dec 2017
If you didn't like it first, why would you like it the second time? Shouldn't it be the other way around? You don't like it, then don't watch. For me the anime is the same, and I'm probably the only one who doesn't get bored by it but whatever.

No, you're not going to like it if you didn't like the first episodes, so if you're asking if you should waste time watching Violet Evergarden, no, I don't think it would be worth it if it doesn't meet your tastes.
Feb 18, 2018 2:29 PM
Oct 2016
OukaSS said:
Let's just say you can compare this to Clannad. Of course i'm not talking about the anime but the way people taking both of them. Many starters were recommended with Clannad, hearing this is one of the best out there. However, after trying (both 2 ss), they were like "mehh" (most of them are guys tho). I think they were just not used to some "pure" drama stuff and Violet is also the one like that. Hype has always been a thing in MAL, u know

Not only from MaL, I got the hype from all those PV's on youtube (since it appear on my reccomended list from time to time). Yeah if it's drama, I prefer it when mixed with something else, like on Akame ga Kill or Oregairu for example.
Feb 18, 2018 2:40 PM
Oct 2016
sashaanjo said:
If you didn't like it first, why would you like it the second time? Shouldn't it be the other way around? You don't like it, then don't watch. For me the anime is the same, and I'm probably the only one who doesn't get bored by it but whatever.

No, you're not going to like it if you didn't like the first episodes, so if you're asking if you should waste time watching Violet Evergarden, no, I don't think it would be worth it if it doesn't meet your tastes.

Well I kind of like this anime's art and animation, and I had a feeling that this is one of KyoAni's bigger project, so I doubt they will make anything else with this quality again anytime soon. Idk, it feels like a waste if I skip it.

Oh well, I suppose I should just skip this anyway, after some thoughts.
Feb 18, 2018 3:53 PM

Sep 2014
yes it became rather nice
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 18, 2018 3:57 PM

Aug 2012
Why yes, it was good since the start.
Feb 18, 2018 6:44 PM

Feb 2018
normaneko said:

Again, thanks everyone..

its the best you can do , most people dropped it in the 4-5 episodes !! i was so hyped for this show but in the end "Sora yori mo Tooi Basho" and "Darling in the FranXX" turned up to be underrated compared to this boring trash :D .... even Overlord with the lizard arc isn't that boring !!
Zuerchtein-MarioFeb 18, 2018 7:28 PM
Feb 18, 2018 6:50 PM

Jan 2017
I've liked it the whole time, hype aside. So I guess I'm not a good example of someone to answer this.

Feb 18, 2018 7:48 PM

Nov 2017
I've liked it the whole time and keep watching. But I can guess why some might have dropped, because the poster made it seem like it was this amazing woman's journey in a garden or something. We got the animation we wanted, but the story is about a lady who has to learn to love again while being a clerk at an office. It's pretty hilariously boring, the plot so far.

Everything also makes me uneasy because I feel like for some reason maybe Netflix had more impact on this show, like they determined the direction of the show. Maybe that is or isn't true, but I feel a sliver or pang of Western influence and conventionality.

Things sometimes feel like they're a Western interpretation of what an anime is supposed to be, and that's not why I like anime. I like the surprise, I like the Japanese obsession with emotion, with the balance of things in a room. The Japanese have this thick feeling for the tenor of a situation, and how it should or shouldn't go.

Western plot is always, A must lead to B, even though it is boring and it makes little sense for character development. So much Western content makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of Friends.

Anime throws me for a loop because it's a different culture and I never know where they're coming from. Violet Evergarden scares me because it makes me realize that maybe Netflix's influence is going to determine the direction of shows. I don't want that, Netflix should help pay for JAPANESE anime/content and step back and let the masters work. There is no such thing as American anime.

Simulcast/simuldub and let the thing be. Even if I'm wrong about this feeling, which I really hope I am, perhaps it's just the big NETFLIX logo at the beginning of every episode that is making me uneasy.

I'm also watching the sub, too. Haven't thought of the dub.

I like Violet, just some things in the plot so far have felt too conventional, like Iris's trip to her hometown. Just felt a bit predictable, I guess. Cliched.
Feb 18, 2018 11:59 PM

Mar 2017
It's always good what are you talking about
Feb 19, 2018 2:50 AM
Aug 2015
I don't think Netflix has something to do with the story. The hype came way before the poster (with Violet walking under the blue sky) was revealed. The hype mainly came from the novel and anime PV which show beautiful animation. Moreover, seeing a heroine with prostectics arms induced a steampunk setting added to the European setting. I'm sure that people were attracted by these points. And novel readers were also waiting for the adaptation since most of them liked it. But here is KyoAni doing their usual stuff. Except for the setting it's a typical KyoAni slice of life. They add extra characters (Erica and Iris for example) as they added Ai in Kyoukai no Kanata.

They're making fillers and when there are non fillers content they actually make some changes

And, if some people remembered, in episode 2 characters are eatting yakisoba while we are in a European setting. I don't know if they were supposing that the country was opening to the others (since we see characters from different regions) but for me it was more like nonsense that couldn't been there if Netflix was really behind the story. I also saw that Charlotte story (episode 5) will be include in the Gaiden which will contain stories that couldn't been included in the two volumes. So it's more like an internal business between KyoAni anime staff and the novel editor. Not Netflix.

I think it's more like that: because of the setting, Netflix thought that it could please for more people so they decided to stream it. They don't act on the story itself. And I also know that KyoAni diverges from the novels contents (Hibike! Euphonium, Kyoukai no Kanata...) so what they're doing on Violet Evergarden is not surprising.

That's just my supposition.
Feb 19, 2018 3:58 AM

Nov 2016
You dropped it already,that's fine,but apparently the pretty colors don't let you rest.

To comfort your soul, I'm telling you that it's pretty much the same as at the beginning,if you didn't like it there,then you also won't like it now.

Watch something you're actually interested in.

/thread

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 19, 2018 9:17 AM
Oct 2017
Are some of you guys really trying to say Netflix forced the show to be some ponderous slice of life show about love?

You know how stupid that is, right?
Feb 19, 2018 9:22 AM

Mar 2014
It's probably a 6/10 for me right now, so it isn't bad, but it's also isn't that great either. The people telling me how the first few episodes aren't canon have given me hope that it'll get even better though.
Feb 19, 2018 12:16 PM

May 2016
“Is it good now?” Why ask such a question? If you didn’t like the first few episodes, then don’t bother watching the rest.
Feb 20, 2018 6:06 PM

Feb 2018
Watching: 127,234
Completed: 11
On-Hold: 3,117
Dropped: 2,738
Plan to Watch: 121,023
Total: 254,123

when you see the picture you think " waw so good its gonna be a masterpiece i'm gonna give it a 10 until it ends so lets put it in our plan to watch and give it a 10 yay"
and here we got 121023 people planing to watch and with the majority giving a 10 without even watching this boku no pico parody :D
PS: 11 people completed (Kittens-kun too)
Zuerchtein-MarioFeb 20, 2018 6:13 PM
Feb 20, 2018 7:59 PM
Jul 2013
Not really. Still the same tepid problem of no character or plot development for Violet (but they sure love developing side characters)
Feb 20, 2018 8:04 PM

Apr 2015
It looks beautiful, and I don't think it's bad, but...how the hell did they decide on the pacing? It's really inconsistent and was especially jarring in the last episode.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 20, 2018 10:59 PM
Feb 2018
Feels a bit weird when they said "Violetto-chan"
SossigFeb 21, 2018 8:29 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

616 by Nekogirl27 »»
Mar 30, 4:56 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.