Forum Settings
Forums

How Realistic Do You Prefer Character Designs To Be?

Feb 13, 2018 8:52 PM

I prefer it when character designs are a cross between realism and wackiness:

"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Feb 13, 2018 8:57 PM

As long as the loli's height are within acceptable loli height, I'm fine.

Oppai loli... should be okay in its level too.

Her thighs should be thicc but not too thicc.

Should wear knee socks or stockings.

Being a tsundere will always be option but have to be a +1 and +2 if imouto too.

Feb 13, 2018 9:01 PM

Rainbow-colored hair is always a plus. (I'm very fond of color. I mean COLOR!!!)

I prefer eyes on the large side.

I also prefer a youthful look (either look their age or a little younger). I HATE when they're supposed to be 14 and look TWENTY. Such a pet peeve of mine. xD

I'm not against a realistic look; if the anime theme really calls for it, it works fine. (Witch Hunter Robin or Black Lagoon for example)

Feb 13, 2018 9:06 PM

I don't like it when they're too realistic because then none of the girls in Rabu Raibu would look kawaii.

Feb 13, 2018 10:05 PM

I don't mind, tbh. Sometimes I like it when they're unrealistic so they're easier to identify and remember.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()

Feb 13, 2018 10:24 PM
lonely love

This time I'm not writing an essay. That one earlier took up all my brain power... lol.

OT: I think it depends on the show. A realistic show should have realistic character designs.

But I will also say my favorite show/game character designs are never the realistic ones, usually more colorful...

And then there's my absolute favorite character designs in a show...

i ached for you throughout time
i was left forgotten
through my tears i saw your sillhouette
yet i couldn't call out to you
filled with this unspeakable yearning called love

interview quiz

Feb 13, 2018 10:45 PM

I'm fine with everything as long as the limbs are proportional. That's why I dislike Code Geass' and Lucky Star's designs.

Feb 13, 2018 11:38 PM

As long as the proportions are fine. Some have big heads like the girls in Higurashi.
And ofc, not too big eyes.

Feb 13, 2018 11:46 PM

As realistic as in One Piece, that's my golden standard.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Feb 13, 2018 11:54 PM

Proportions of the body features have to look good to each other, maybe with the exception of eyes. I'm fine with Clannad's level of eye to face proportion. And character designs comes with clothings too and I prefer if the clothes is not too over the top. Can have their own flair but if they slap on too much accessories and stuff, it'll look too heavy in my eyes. I'm a person who likes simplicity.

And not sure what's considered to be a 'realistic' looking character but I'm going to assume Death Note fits the description. If that's the case, the ones with childish-like features in them are my preference. Nagi no Asukara, KonoSuba, Shokugeki, BnHA are some examples.
Modified by OVERPOWERED99, Feb 13, 2018 11:58 PM
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List

Feb 14, 2018 12:29 AM
I don't really have a preference in terms of realism. I generally can enjoy most types of character designs, but of course I do have certain ones that I love more but I'm not sure there is any pattern to them in terms of realism. It's more about having a cool and unique look for me.

One of my favorites is Nakamura Yuusuke, the character designer from Tatami Galaxy and those designs aren't really realistic, but I love their simplicity and expressiveness.

Then there's Akira's Otomo Katsuhiro, who has more realistic and detailed designs that I also love.

And Redline's Takeshi Koike whose designs are more on the OTT side of things.

Yoshitoshi Abe from SEL and Haibane Renmei has more realistic designs again, but they also look fabulous.

Meanwhile Angel's Egg's Yoshitaka Amano has this truly fantastic, almost ethereal artstyle that really stands out to me as well and stretches out beyond anime into the realm of his general artworks. And you can see it in his designs too.

Going back to more convention designs and art styles, Shingeki no Bahamut's Naoyuki Onda also has pretty nice designs, even tho they might not stand out as much as some of the others I mentioned.

And Hiroyuki Okiura, one of my favorite animators, once again firmly falls into the category of having very realistic looking designs (and movement).

Nobuteru Yuuki is kind of like a hybrid between the more fantastical and the more realistic designers, and I really like the outcome too.

And I'll finish with another a bit more convential character designer, industry legend Toshihiro Kawamoto (Bebop, Wolf's Rain).

Probably forgetting a bunch too.

So yeah, idk, you tell me if this is about realism or not realism or just about particular styles that I really, really like.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Feb 14, 2018 12:57 AM

For some reason, Aku No Hana pops in my mind.

Feb 14, 2018 1:48 AM
Peacemaker

I don't mind the eyes that much, but there are some hairstyles that just make no sense logically, whether from gravity or fashion, and that really takes me out of the anime and makes it harder to enjoy because i am thinking the whole time "how does the hair look like that. A good example is ritsuko from shiki and yasuhiro from danganronpa. Obviously there are many more examples but those two were the first two to come to mind...after yugi that is.
Why watch beach episodes when you can watch bleach episodes?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 14, 2018 2:03 AM

Interesting in-depth post! Which anime is the middle left of the Naoyuki Onda square?

Feb 14, 2018 2:31 AM

They need to be fabulous as fuck, and males that I want to have anal sex with.
Ero Pattishie, how was the night?
Did you like the sister sandwich for dinner?
Or perhaps it was too sweet,
that you want more vanilla in the morning.
I'll put extra cream just for you.
Now it eat well, we still have more desserts.

Feb 14, 2018 2:42 AM

The more realistic the better. ♥ You can easily identify with them then.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."

Feb 14, 2018 2:49 AM
Depends on the setting, if the anime is more realistic as a whole and one of the genres is 'slice of life', I would prefer for the character to be able to blend in and not look exotic. In comparison to that, if they are able to fit in with the setting, I'm personally fine with any design.
Heckle was here...

Feb 14, 2018 4:06 AM

i tend to prefer anime with more realistic designs...

Feb 14, 2018 4:13 AM
Aria-da-Capo said:

Interesting in-depth post! Which anime is the middle left of the Naoyuki Onda square?

I think she's from Sol Bianca but tbh I'm not 100% sure since I didn't make those 3x3s myself, I just picked some that represented my favorites. Onda has worked on a bunch of OVAs aside from his bigger projects like Bahamut, Ergo Proxy and LOGH and I can't say for sure which one of those she's from. She definitely looks similar to Feb from Sol Bianca but I don't remember her wearing glasses like the girl in that image, but maybe there was a scene where she did, or it was a different character after all.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Feb 14, 2018 4:15 AM
fanservice<3

If I wanted realistic then I wouldn't be watching anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 14, 2018 4:45 AM

EcchiKingMamster said:
If I wanted realistic then I wouldn't be watching anime

This.
I can't see the point of trying to be realistic while drawing anime. Anime normal designs are good enough for me

Feb 14, 2018 5:00 AM

unrealistic, because that way it’s easier to remember and identify characters. but if it’s an anime with serious atmosphere it bothers me when characters have fun design, because it ruins the mood.

Feb 14, 2018 5:16 AM

I'm fine with looking a bit realistic, but I won't find it appealing. Personally, I like very moe or chibi character designs.

Feb 14, 2018 7:36 AM

I can enjoy both moe cuties with huge eyes, and more realistic character designs as well, as long as it fits the series. I don't think I have a huge preference there.

Feb 14, 2018 7:45 AM

The only character designs I can't stand at are the ones made by Key :

Feb 14, 2018 7:52 AM

TBH Gundam isn't actually my forte..

After seeing this slick versatile art by Yasuhiko..

> A E S T H E T I C..

-Hmm... ROV in Acid by Sakamoto

-B L A M E

Capturing the various META-FICTION with pure aesthetic worldbuilding apart it's dark gritty effect.

On behalf of getting a plotless anthology scenario.. it redeems a memoir caricature like how he portrays set of

existential characters in every counterparts beyond the panel by pointing out such devastating concepts

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

Modified by -HippySnob-, Feb 14, 2018 8:32 AM

--FUN-- things die if they eat dog food ----

Feb 14, 2018 8:20 AM

RnDNEET021 said:

> A E S T H E T I C..

-B L A M E

Capturing the various META-FICTION with pure aesthetic worldbuilding apart it's dark gritty effect.

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

hey don't forget Alita's beautiful backgrounds and character designs ...

Feb 14, 2018 8:30 AM

It can be a mix of realism with cartoonish, but with moderation. Too much and they'll not even look like humanoids.

Play Eternal, the best digital card game ever

Feb 14, 2018 8:31 AM

I don't have a preference as long it is not unpleasant to look at.

Feb 14, 2018 8:42 AM

I prefer the "still anime but more realistic" designs used in most series by Madhouse and Production IG. Beck and Moribito are great examples of what I like
"Should I be concerned over the obvious delight our daughter takes in the ultra-violence?"
"It's genetic"
-Red Arrow to Cheshire (Young Justice)

Feb 14, 2018 8:44 AM

I don't really know. I certainly love Sadamoto character designs. So I guess I just like when they hit this unique space... that one artist does over and over and provokes this instant nostalgia.
The anime community in a nutshell.

Feb 14, 2018 8:51 AM

Realistic character design is ugly

I prefer the generic cute moe one

Feb 14, 2018 8:53 AM

I just want them to still look like humans

So no Clannad eyes

Or Eiken tits

Feb 14, 2018 8:59 AM

Not sure where to draw the line between realistic and unrealistic character design...

I like the typical big eyes so if that already makes a character unrealistic then I would say I prefer those unrealistic designs.

However as long as it's not as "realistic" as this

I'm perfectly fine with every character design

"I used to think he was the insecure type who isn't capable of having big dreams. But that's not right. He's the type to have countless smaller dreams that he can achieve perfectly, one by one. They may be small individually, but as they keep coming true, they quickly become one huge dream."

Feb 14, 2018 9:02 AM

Well I'm fine with anything as long as it's appealing and fits the show.

Feb 14, 2018 9:07 AM

i love characters that in their face can express all type of emotions and actions.

This is my standard

Feb 14, 2018 9:22 AM

I find that often the unrealistic aspect of character design sometimes help certain characters are anime stand out. Though realistic designs can work, it's not really necessary for me.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Feb 14, 2018 9:30 AM

Depends on the kind of anime. Realistic settings sometimes require realistic character designs. As long as looking at them doesn't seem irritating then it works out fine

Feb 14, 2018 9:40 AM

As long as the designs are close to the character designs by KyoAni in their recent works (Tamako Market, Amagami Brilliant Park, Hyouka, Hibike! Euphonium, Violet Evergarden, Kyoukai no Kanata, Chuunibyou, Free! etc.). That's a Gold Standard for me. I also like clean arts more. Also, I tend to stay away from anime with close to realistic designs.

So, as much unrealistic as possible as long as the characters are freakin' adorable whether they are girls, boys or gender neutrals, I am game.

<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

Feb 14, 2018 12:45 PM

Jare4lopez said:
RnDNEET021 said:

> A E S T H E T I C..

-B L A M E

-Asano Inio = " G O D "

hey don't forget Alita's beautiful backgrounds and character designs ...

What manga is the pic on the bottom from?

@velvetPhos

Interesting perspective.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Feb 14, 2018 2:28 PM

the 80s and 90s type of designs. idk.